Speaker 1: Live on Sky News This Sharry Good Evening.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: A big exclusive tonight, I can reveal an American nuclear powered submarine will be in Australian waters from next week in what's described as a show of force against China. The full details coming up only on this program. American Congressman Michael McCall, the chair of the powerful Foreign Affairs Committee, has bucked in Peter Dutton's concerns over Palestinian visas. He says that any HMAS sympathizer could be a ticking time bomb. Michael McCall sat down with me for an exclusive interview.
Speaker 4: But you have to properly vet individuals before you bring them in to your country, otherwise you could be bringing in, you know, ticking time bombs, Hamas or other terrorists that could cause problems.
Speaker 3: This as Dutton fights off accusations of racism after he demanded a block on visas from the war zone.
Speaker 2: But first tonight.
Speaker 3: We're seeing utter hypocrisy from the Albanese government. Hamas is listed as a prescribed terror organization in Australia. This means that members of Hamas are literally banned and could be prosecuted in this country.
Speaker 2: So there's the very real question.
Speaker 3: Over whether Australian government policy to allow Hamas supporters from the front line of Gaza into Australia is contradicting its own laws. The heat should be firmly on the Prime Minister, his Foreign Minister and Tony Burke for radical policy lunacy get Instead, the focus today was on Peter Dutton, and Dutton was accused of racism for daring to suggest to the Albanesi government shouldn't be flying in terrorists from a war zone.
Speaker 5: I seek to try to bring people together, not always looking for.
Speaker 6: A wage or to divide, stopping racist leader of the opposition Order.
Speaker 7: Well, it was an offensive and unparliamentary remarket it should be withdrawn.
Speaker 8: Is a description of language being racist and unparliamentary remark.
Speaker 2: Let you say something about the children that are Bengus laughter. Peter Dutton is the leader of the Nasty Party. It's trumpion, it's despicable and it needs.
Speaker 7: To be called out.
Speaker 6: The coalition's gone too far.
Speaker 7: Yep, absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 5: The last thing you want to be doing is heightening anger here in this country, and that's exactly what Peter Dutton's doing.
Speaker 3: And many media outlets work equally as critical good.
Speaker 6: To see it. Are you heartless, a heartless racist? Do you have any humanity?
Speaker 1: Mike Burgess says, if there's no ideological support for her mask, they're not a problem. Don't you trust ASIO? They check if someone provided for or material support to Hamas or if they have an ideology, so what else? And if they don't, they're fine to come in. What else do you want them to check?
Speaker 3: Well, we've been reporting on this program for months now that security vetting is being done in as little as an hour, sometimes as well just a day, and in many occasions it's not even sent to ASIO for checking at all. The City Morning Herald, which as you know, has a long history of anti Israel coverage, cold Dutton heartless, saying his hardline approach is cruel to people fleeing war. This has a human cost, and Dutton may find it has a political cost, but the reality is the precise opposite. It's heartless for Albanezi to bring in potential terror supporters to Australia and put Australian lives at risk. Hermas doesn't only hate Jews, but all Westerners and the very values we all stand for, not all Palestinians, of course, support her Mus although so many are indoctrinated from birth to hate Jews, as we revealed on this show. As I said for months now, because we have been exposing the security flaws, and this is journalism, there are enormous flaws in the security process to determine whether people coming to Australia from the war zone are genuine refugees or have a problematic history. It's not racism to be concerned about terrorists or their supporters coming to Australia when social cohesion is already at breaking point and the terror threat level is rising. Foreign editor The Australian Greg Sheridan put it perfectly when he writes that Australian government policy has been historically to be cautious about taking people from radicalized populations.
Speaker 2: He says that we can have and should have.
Speaker 3: A generous refugee policy without accepting radicalized people. Sheridan asks, is it now Australian government policy that support for a terrorist organization is not enough to disqualify someone from coming to Australia, indeed coming and settling permanently, And he describes this position as wildly radical new policy which the government either has to.
Speaker 2: Explain or abandoned.
Speaker 3: Sheridan says that if refugees are to be resettled, the United Nations preference is for that to be in their own region, and he says he points out the Gaza is surrounded by hundreds of millions of Arabic speaking people in predominantly Muslim, Arab and North African countries, which are obvious places for refugees. Greg Sheridan argues that the government has got itself into an absurd situation, a completely ridiculou rhetorical bind in which it cannot even say that supporting a terrorist organization disqualifies an applicant from coming to Australia. He says, if that is the government's position, it should not hide behind Asio but actually tell us how it came to such a radical conclusion that some support for terrorist organization is okay, and whether this is now Australian policy going forward. He says, interrogating these issues is not remotely racist, but the Prime Minister has been unable to actually guarantee and promise Australians that rigorous security checks are being done in every instance, unable to answer the questions about why some security checks are only taking one hour, and why he must sympathizers could have already been let into the country. Well, they can't answer those questions, so that Albanezi government can only attack dutt It no answers, just emotional attacks. And alban Easy seriously misled Australians today and it was breathtaking to watch unfold life because he claimed that ASIO Director General Mike Burgess had said that security checks were being done. Now, listen very carefully to the Prime Minister's remarks here.
Speaker 5: I'll refer to what the ASIO Director General himself has said. If they've been issued a visa, they've gone through the process, they're referred to my organization and Asia. Does it seems.
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: He stopped reading the direct quote halfway through.
Speaker 2: In the very next sentence.
Speaker 3: Mike Burgess said that not all visas had been sent to them in time. Have A listened to what Mike Burgess actually said.
Speaker 8: So for all immigration, including when you're balancing humanitarian needs, security checks are critically There are process in place, and I can assure your audience that when things get referred to Asia, we deal with them effectively. Of course, there might be times when they didn't get referred to us in time. Once we become aware of them, we're able to do the assessments and deal with them effectively.
Speaker 3: There might be times when they haven't been referred to us in time. That is what Mike Burgess said. That is what the Prime Minister did not read out in question time.
Speaker 2: This is deeply misleading.
Speaker 3: Of the Prime Minister to misquote Burgess and take him out of context, to leave out the part where the head of ASIO said, actually, not all Palestinian visa applicants were sent to us in time. It's too late when they're ready in our country. When Tony Burke has said, oh we can't. No government in its right mind would send anyone back to Gaza. Dutton then did point out that Albinizi had misquoted Mike Burgess and asked him to correct the record.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister refused to do so.
Speaker 3: Now this entire time topic is a fight that Peter Dutton is happy to have. There's no question most Australians would be highly concerned about her must sympathizers arriving in our country. Even the City Morning Herald's Resolve poll found that only ten percent of Australians wanted to accept Palestinian refugees. So as long as the coalition is speaking about whether to allow her Mus supporters into the country, where alban Easy looks shakier and weaker as Prime minister, it seems his true character as a radical pro Palestinian activist yelling into a microphone at a rally where the American flag was burned. Well, this is now emerging and it poses a very real danger to our country. Owing well, all right, don't forget still coming up on the show with got that big exclusive about the American nuclear powered submarine that is going to be in Australian waders next week. That's still coming up. But right now, let's bring in to night's panel Sky News commentator Jason Morrison and perth Mere Basil Zemplus. Welcome to you both, Basil, Starting with you, look, Peter Dutton said today that even if ninety nine percent, even if that's the case, ninety nine percent of Palestinians coming from the war zone innocent our refugees, there's no problems with them, even if they don't.
Speaker 2: Agree with Hermas.
Speaker 3: He said that one percent could pose a security threat, could potentially commit a terror attack and could cost lives, So why risk And it's not just Jewish Australians, although we feel it acutely at the moment, but why risk all Australian.
Speaker 10: Lives exactly and almost on Q A sort of wave of negativity towards Peter Darton very quick for his opponents to play the race card.
Speaker 6: But consider it this way.
Speaker 11: I think most Australians with any good deal of common sense would say, we would want everybody coming to this country. We'd want to know who they are, we'd want to know their past, we'd want to make sure that they were properly vetted. I don't think too many people would disagree with that. If we can't properly vet the people, if they're not properly being vetted, then they shouldn't come. And it's no more complicated than that. I mean, we know what John Howard said back in two thousand and one. We decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come. The message hasn't really changed. It's common sense. We need to know who they are, they need to be properly checked. If they're not properly checked, they can't come. That's what Dunton's saying it's not that complicated, Jason.
Speaker 3: That clip I just played it at the end of my remarks. They're Albin Easy when he was a federal politician, he was already in Parliament to that point, yelling into the megaphone.
Speaker 2: I play it all the time.
Speaker 3: Because I think it is so critical to his approach to this issue.
Speaker 9: Think, yeah, we elected phony Albow, but that's real Albo, that's the real guy. The real guy is just like Sarah Hanson yat. The real guy thinks this is an emotional argument. I know it's really it's tempting to want to talk about the one percent thing. I actually want to talk about the ninety nine percent. I want to talk about why Australia, twelve thousand kilometers from the Middle East, depending on which way you fly, three continents away, has become the nation that has to do this.
Speaker 7: I mean, Syria, where are you? Where are you? Jordan? Where are you? Oh?
Speaker 6: I know why you don't want them?
Speaker 9: You don't want them, so Australia gets them. And this is the problem. Australia has kind of left itself there as open the door to let the world's problems into it. Australians don't want problems brought to its nation, So we look at the ninety nine percent and we focus on the one percent. I think we've seen enough in this country all ready to tell us that even without bringing refugees from troubled war zones, we have a big problem already in this country. Do we want to add to it?
Speaker 2: Yeahs.
Speaker 3: Social CO under Albanesi's watch has been sadly a breaking point.
Speaker 2: Now this is a big story today.
Speaker 3: The Liberal Party in New South Wales has failed to enroll dozens of candidates for the upcoming council elections.
Speaker 2: This is a major stuff up.
Speaker 3: There's around eighteen councils maybe more who could be impacted.
Speaker 2: This includes and if you're in.
Speaker 3: Sydney, Northern Beaches, Blue Mountains, Campbelltown, Camden Lane, Cove, shoh Haven and Woollongong. The state opposition leader in New South Wales, Mark Speakman, has called for the State Director, Richard Shields, to resign Basil this isn't just a worry for New South Wales, but given the state director is in charge of the federal campaign as well, do you think you know, are you worried that if this lack of administration is replicated at the federal level.
Speaker 2: That this could cause problems for the federal election.
Speaker 11: Well, clearly it speaks broadly to the professionalism of the organization organization. If a mistake is made at one level, then questions are going to be raised or asked about is this happening at other levels?
Speaker 6: Could it happen at other levels? It's not great clearly.
Speaker 11: In New South Wales, party affiliation is part of local government elections. Here in Western Australia it is not, although at times people are affiliated with parties and whold positions in local government, but they don't run as Liberal, Labor, Green or other candidates.
Speaker 6: Typically most people are independents.
Speaker 11: But over there you haven't got a lot to get right when you're doing that job as it pertains to local government elections, and that was one of them and it hasn't been done right.
Speaker 6: So there are some big questions to answer.
Speaker 3: Big questions. But Jason, do you think he should be sacked? That's what Mark Speakman's calling for.
Speaker 9: If he had any class, he and the other dits that's in the head of the Liberal Party, Don Harwin, the so called president of the New South Wales Liberal body, he should be gone too. I mean, a guy who's never achieved very much ever in public office is in charge of it, apparently an elections expert. If you ask anyone in the left of the Liberal Party, well, this is Don Harwin's work. This is how he handles election. He cocks them up.
Speaker 6: You know this Basil's right.
Speaker 9: In Western Australia, they don't endorse for local We didn't do it in New South Wales either for a very long time. I say we as in the Liberal Party. We's not a member of it, but I mean it didn't happen. And the reason that didn't happen is because the Liberal Party couldn't cope with it. But all these factional game players like Harwan and Photius and Keen and others that are in there, they've seen this as the breeding ground on the left of parlor of politics to try to create their own little clubs and it's just fallen over.
Speaker 6: Shields should be gone.
Speaker 9: If he had any class, he would go, which is tragic because he's actually a man of some capability, But he'll go. Harwin shouldn't even be there in the first place, and half the people that make up the state executive you wouldn't feed. So you've got this dilemma where, you know, if you're a conservative minded person, and I am unashamedly, you kind of have this situation where the people running the party that should be servicing your vale user needs, they're just bloody hopeless. And as a result of it, you've got a class of people in there that roll their eyes at traditional conservative voters and they can't even get the basic job right. How this has been allowed to happen. Peter Dunton's going to have to step in. They'll have to be a federally deventioned because even tonight they're defending this bloke's position, they're defending it.
Speaker 6: How they're staggering it really is.
Speaker 2: We'll keep covering it over the coming days.
Speaker 3: Just before we go, let's turn to this a fight that's brewing in the North Shore of Sydney.
Speaker 2: This is between some of the Teals.
Speaker 3: They've become household names, Kylie tink Zalie Staggle. This after fellow Independent oh and Sophie Scamps as well. So this is after the abolition of the Electorate of North Sydney and now the Teals are fighting over which seat they'll all run for. Balzo I just want to ask you a political question. Do you think the Teals are going to be as successful in this next federal election as they were in twenty twenty two or do you think that part of the reason they did so well was because there are a lot of Liberal voters who didn't like Scott Morrison, didn't want to vote for Scott Morrison, and they saw these female independents as another option.
Speaker 6: So my instinct is the latter.
Speaker 11: We know the set of circumstances that existed at the last federal election, Scott Morrison, for whatever reason, was on the nose with the electorate and the Liberals were in power. We know now it's a labor government and there is not that anti Morrison sentiment. He no longer exists in the Parliament. So therefore I think it's going.
Speaker 6: To be a lot harder for the Teals.
Speaker 11: However, many of them have built up a standing and a following in their local areas and so they will remain very competitive. But our circumstances as favorable, nowhere near as favorable as they were three years ago.
Speaker 7: For the Teals.
Speaker 2: Very quickly, Jason, what do you reckon?
Speaker 6: I hope not that was quick That was good.
Speaker 3: All right, Basil's empliers Jase Morrison, great to see you both. Still to come my exclusive that an American nuclear powered submarine will be off the coast of Australia from next week in what's been described as a show of force against China. Those full details next, plus the chair of America's powerful Foreign Affairs Congressional Committee, Michael McCall.
Speaker 2: You can see him on the screen now.
Speaker 3: He's backed Peter Dutton's concerns over Palestinian visas, and McColl says that any must sympathizer could be.
Speaker 2: A ticking time bomb.
Speaker 3: That's coming up after this quick break, Welcome back.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Today I sat down with the chair of the powerful United States Foreign Affairs Congressional Committee, Michael McCall, for an exclusive interview. The senior American congressman has been in Australia this week for meetings with Penny Wong, Richard Miles, and the head of our intelligence agencies Andrew Shearer. Is so concerned about China's increasing aggression in our region that McColl told me an American nuclear powered submarine will be off the coast of Perth from next week. It will then move through the Pacific. McColl said this is a show of force and will act as a deterrence against China. In our exclusive interview, McColl also expressed concerns about Palestinian visas, saying security vetting is extremely difficult and any Hamas sympathizer would be a ticking time bomb. He also revealed that he had been personally speaking to Saudi officials about taking on a roll in Gaza after the defeat of Hamas, and he said he was confident Donald Trump would support Orcas if he returns to the White House. Here's that interview.
Speaker 2: Have a look, Michael McCall. Great to have you here in Australia.
Speaker 7: Oh thanks, Jerry's great to be here.
Speaker 3: You are in question Time in Canberra yesterday in part Elament House. The big political issue this week has been whether there is enough security vetting of Palestinians who are coming to Australia from the war zone in Gaza. The Opposition leader Peter Darton has said that at this point in time, given there are no Australian officials on the ground able to do the interviews and the security checks, he said there shouldn't be any Palestinians coming to Australia.
Speaker 7: What do you.
Speaker 4: Think it was interesting to be, you know, in the Parliament seeing my counterparts. In Australia they get a little rowdy with their questions and answer series, which I kind of enjoyed.
Speaker 2: More than in the US.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be kind of fun to see that in the United States, you know, the interchange and having the Prime Minister on the floor taking you know, hits from the opposition. And I can't imagine the President of United States sitting in the.
Speaker 3: World and insults at him and.
Speaker 7: Then they take down the insults.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just withdrawal that to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we always think, you know, the Brits are more civilized, but sometimes and then the Australians.
Speaker 7: But it's very rowdy.
Speaker 4: But to answer your question, I think and I chaired the Homeland Security Committee for a long time as a federal prosecutor counter terrorism, and I'm very sympathetic to the Palestinian people who have been held hostage by Hamas. Really we want to find a safe haven, but you have to properly vet individuals before you bring them in to your country, otherwise you could be bringing in you know, chicking time bombs, Hamas or other terrorists that could cause problems in my own country. After the fall of Afghanistan, thousands of vices k came out of the Bogram prisons. They went up to the Krzon region which was Pakistan, Afghanistan to Zakistan. They made all the way to the Mechican border, came up through Mexico and the United States, and eight of them are detained. They also have smuggling ring and god knows how many more in the United States, and that worries me.
Speaker 3: And the most important thing, the greatest obligation of any political leader is to protect your own citizens first and foremost to protect national security.
Speaker 7: I think the most important.
Speaker 4: Both of any office, whether it's Congress or the Prime Minister or the President, is to protect people from outside threats.
Speaker 3: Do you think both sides of United States politics are equally as committed to August Do you think Australians can rest assured that this will go through, that we will have nuclear powered submarines irrespective of whoever's in power.
Speaker 7: Yes, I do.
Speaker 4: And you know I made sure when the bill I passed was bipartison very important that we not played politics with US one nation, one voice Australia. I can tell you I met with your leadership from the top down. Everyone is strongly supportive. That was exciting to see.
Speaker 3: How soon do you think we'll have nuclear powered submarines in Australia.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're gonna see rotations soon. In fact, the certification on Pillar two, which is the innovation and technology, will come out in the States probably later today and you'll hear about it here tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Mean rotations.
Speaker 4: Subs US class subs that will rotate through Perth and other ports in Australia.
Speaker 3: As a show of strength to China, show your force, and they'll be nuclear powered submarines.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. So when you're expecting that to begin.
Speaker 4: Well, we've been waiting for the certification process. Your apartiament, the Australian Parliament was required to pass export control laws, which they did.
Speaker 7: Is very proud of them. And now we can begin.
Speaker 4: Because you know, when I met with the intelligence community, this thing arcus, this alliance between Nited States, UK Australia is probably the thing that keeps Cherman Shee up the most at night. It's the thing he worries about. It's a thing that really scares him. And when you have that, you have deterrence, and if you have deterrence, you don't have war.
Speaker 3: And you're confident Donald Trump would be committed to ORCUS should he become president again.
Speaker 4: I do you know, the whole idea started with Secretary Pompeo. I talked to Mike Pompeo. He talked to your Director of National Intelligence about this idea. So it's really an extension of something that started under the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: Turning to US politics domestically, you've been outspoken about the security flaws that led to the attempted assassination on Donald Trump. How concerned are you about the fact that a shooter was able to be on the roof people saw him, and action wasn't taken in time, was able to fire off shots and there was a near miss.
Speaker 4: No, Sherry, I went out to the site right after. So for one of the first members to go up on the rooftop very close. I mean it's closer than that is to us and a sniper it's an easy shot. I thank god he missed, but he was too close. He should never have been there. I think Secret Service made some fundamental mistakes, but it all goes back to the leadership within Secret Service. And also the communications with the local police.
Speaker 7: On the ground.
Speaker 4: I think it was anytime you have an attempted assassination, that is by definition of failure, and I think that was a failure.
Speaker 3: Do you think there's still a lot we don't know about what exactly unfolded on that day.
Speaker 4: I mean, we know a lot more about the individual, a deranged individual. Again, he was, for a twenty year old, pretty smart. I mean, he had a throne that he three days earlier, got an aero surveillance map of the place, He walked around, scouted it out, very methodical. I think he was startled when the local police officer climbed up on the roof and he fired a shot.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's too.
Speaker 4: Hastily for him, and that probably saved the present's life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unbelievable. We've seen this.
Speaker 3: We've seen quite a dramatic reinvention of Kamala Harris. She wasn't considered it particularly capable VP. Now people are as excited about her, or the left leading media are at least as they were about Barack Obama. What do you make of this transformation virtually overnight.
Speaker 7: Well, to me, it's kind of Hollywood.
Speaker 4: It's like a reinvention of her, and I'm sure the Obama machine is behind this to make her look like a new attractive candidate. But where's she been the last three four years? And what has she done? She has no record. In fact, the only responsibility job responsibility she had was the borders are which she failed miserably. And I think that issue in America is going to drive the selection.
Speaker 2: And she's avoiding media interviews of course.
Speaker 4: Of course, I think she's a little bit ahead in the poor so why expose yourself? And you remember during COVID, Biden didn't really have to come out of the.
Speaker 3: Basement a whole wise, so we had the excuse of the pandemic.
Speaker 2: That excuse isn't isn't there?
Speaker 7: Now? That's right, that's right, and she should I just want.
Speaker 3: To ask you about the Israel Hamas war. Are you concerned that we have seen this reluctance by the United States to wholeheartedly support Israel? You know, I mentioned Biden's refusal to hand over some weapons.
Speaker 2: Israel is under threat on all sides.
Speaker 3: Yes, Iran's behind it, but Hesbelah Hamas who the rebels?
Speaker 2: Do you think the.
Speaker 3: US should be stronger in its support of its closest ally in the Middle East.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've always felt that way.
Speaker 4: I think this is not you know, this is not just Hamas has Houthi rebels. This is really a conflict to fight between Iran and Israel in any daylight between the United States, you know, Israel's greatest ally partner, exposes them to the bigger threat. They've withheld My administration's withheld weapons. I signed off on all four military sales, including the Aucus sales here, and they held them up, they stole them. That's a danger signal to our allies, and it worries me. And I think there's a narrative out there. If you look at the younger generation, the only news they have is primarily tik tak, which we know is driven by algorithms. They're driven by China, Russian Iran, so all they see is the Palestinian plight. Well, I'm very empathetic to them, but.
Speaker 7: We need to finish this and move on to the normalization.
Speaker 4: Any talks of ceasefire, while it sounds great, it remains it keeps Sinewar in power, Hamas in power, and this cannot uh, this cannot be finalized until Hamas is out of power.
Speaker 2: We need it.
Speaker 3: There needs to be a new governing body in Gaza to move forward for the wall to.
Speaker 7: End for the Palestinians.
Speaker 4: I've talked to the Saudi's very extensively about this. Uh, They're in the best position to form a governance for the Palestinians, but we can't get to the normalization.
Speaker 3: You've spoken to them about helping with the process after.
Speaker 7: The war, Oh, yeah, one hundred percent. They are very engaged. They're keenly interested.
Speaker 4: They want to be a part of a new Middle East, a normalization that involves the reconstruction that they would in most part fund, but also most importantly, a security alliance between the United States, Israel, and the Saudist.
Speaker 7: We haven't seen anything like this. Well.
Speaker 4: The Abraham Accords were a big step forward Jordan and Egypt, very courageous, but this would be a game changer in the Middle East that could finally bring peace. But we can't get to that point, Cheery, until Hamas is over. The parallels between the late nineteen thirties and today are very real. History does repeat itself, and I don't want it to repeat itself.
Speaker 7: From the Pacific.
Speaker 3: Do you mean in terms of anti Semitism or global volatility.
Speaker 2: It's repeating itself.
Speaker 4: I think in terms of World War you know, we haven't seen a threat to Europe the size since World War Two, even according to your Director of National Intelligence, we haven't seen a threat like this to the Pacific since World War Two.
Speaker 7: And now we have the Middle East on fire with.
Speaker 3: The I told and Iran is clearly emboldened.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent because of Afghanistan, because of the failures to put sanctions on China, who have re vitalized the Russian military. When they see weakness, our enemies become empowered and they feel embolden right now. And that's why President She's being so aggressive. He's in bolden. I asked a president Marcus and the Philippines, why do you think he's doing this because he feels emboldened now? And it's because we're not projecting power and strength rather weakness.
Speaker 7: And historically Chamberlain did this with Hitler.
Speaker 4: Hitler laughed at him, said, one worth the papers written on Churchill came in Appeasement doesn't work.
Speaker 7: Churchill projected power.
Speaker 4: Churchill told my president at that time, Roosevelt, that it was the unnecessary war because it could have been prevented earlier on That's why I'm here to provide deterrence to.
Speaker 7: Come with China.
Speaker 3: Michael McCall a pleasure to speak with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 7: Thanks sure, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you all right, And that was US Congressman Michael McCall.
Speaker 2: Still to come. Peter Darton accuses Zari.
Speaker 3: Stegel of being a Green in disguise after she accused him of racism. Julian Lisa will be on the show after this quick break.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well, let's return to the Peter Dutton pylon that reached fever pitch in Parliament today with Zarie Stegel branding him a racist.
Speaker 2: Have a look.
Speaker 6: And we hurt you in silence.
Speaker 9: You can hear me in silence or stop being raced the opposition.
Speaker 3: Well, Peter Dutton also had a crack against Zarie Stegel on t GB today.
Speaker 2: Have a look.
Speaker 6: Well, it probably doesn't come as any surprise.
Speaker 4: I mean, people who know Zaralie Stegel know that she's really green and they hold these extreme views.
Speaker 3: To discuss this issue, let's bring in now liberal MP Julian Lisa.
Speaker 2: Julian, great to have you back.
Speaker 12: Wonderful to be here.
Speaker 3: What do you think of that accusations that we saw today from several politicians accusing Peter Dutton of racism and then again the media supported it saying.
Speaker 7: He was heartless.
Speaker 12: Well, I think this is just completely false. Peter Dutton is not a racist. What he's asked for is a pause in Australia refuge at taking people from a war zone. And he's asked us to have a pause of this because we need to establish where the people who are coming from this war zone in Gaza are a security threat and I have no confidence that what the government has done actually establishes that we don't have any security threats here. We want to make sure that there is not a single HMAS supporter that is coming to Australia as part of as part of the cohort that we're taking in and that's what Peter Dutton's asking for, that we implement orthodox security checking processes and take a pause while that happens.
Speaker 3: Look, there was this suggestion that this was some haptains call by Peter dart in the implication beg that not all of the party room was behind him. Did anyone disagree.
Speaker 12: With him that you know of well, can I say I think the party room thoroughly supports Peter Dutton on this. I support Peter Dutton very strongly. Earlier in the week I arranged for a letter to be signed by eighty Coalition MPs and several cross benches to Tony Burke. We wanted to make sure in this letter that Tony Burke does not let any Hamas sympathizer into Australia and give.
Speaker 7: Them a visa.
Speaker 12: And we want to ask him to look at canceling the visas of any Hamas sympathizers. That here Hamas is a terrorist organization that we list in our own country and letting even one Hamas sympathizer into this country makes Australia less safe. Is the duty of the government to keep Australian safe and if they are letting in Hamas sympathizers, they are making Australia less safe.
Speaker 3: There seems to be and it must be government policy. That Mike Burgess articulated in the interview on Insiders that they were trying to separate rhetorical support for hama Us from ideological support from Hermas. Do you see rhetorical support for Hermus being less dangerous or less less threatening when it comes to our social cohesion.
Speaker 12: I see any support for Hermas as being dangerous for Australia. Hamas is a terrorist organization that we list in this country as a terrorist organization.
Speaker 7: We list it in order.
Speaker 12: To discourage Australians from associating or supporting it in any way. Other terrorist organizations we list include Islamic State and Al kaider and Hesbella. Can you imagine Australia during previous wars letting in people who say I'm a supporter of Al Kaieda or Islamic State is doing a good job.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't do that, and having the government say, oh, it's just rhetorical.
Speaker 2: That comes down to anti Semitos.
Speaker 6: I think it does.
Speaker 12: Sharry once again, there's a double standard where it comes to the protection of Australian's Jewish background. There's a double standard when it comes to dealing with Israel, and because Hamas and Hezbollah are the two organizations that are most strongly targeting Israel at the moment, in particular Harmas in Gaza, there's just this double standard that's applying. And I think the government should adopt the Orthodox process with dealing with these terroists the process that Peter Dutton adopted. The most experienced parliamentary when it comes to national security in the Parliament today, he knows this portfolio inside out, unlike those l plate ministers like Andrew Giles and Tiny Burke, who on both their watchers have stuffed up the migration program and reduced public confidence in the security of this country.
Speaker 3: We also saw the Prime Minister seriously misquote the Director General of Asia today. Let's have a look at what the Prime Minister claimed Mike Burgess had said.
Speaker 5: I'll refer to what the ASIO Director General himself has said. If they've been issued a visa, they've gone through the process, they're referred to my organization and Asia does it seems.
Speaker 3: But in fact, as I've showed you already, he cut that quote in half. Here is what Mike Burgess actually said.
Speaker 8: So for all immigration, including when you're balancing humanitarian needs, security checks are critically important. There are process in place, and I can assure your audience that when things get referred to Asia, we deal with them effectively. Of course, there might be times when they didn't get referred to us in time, once we become aware of them, we're able to do the assessments and deal with them effectively.
Speaker 3: So he's been careful with his words, Julian, but he very clearly said cases when they don't get referred to us in time, meaning the people already in Australia, and Tony Burker said no one's going to be sent back.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 12: What the Prime Minister was implying today in question time was that everyone gets referred to Asia and that's just not the case. And I think the Director General of Security was very clear in stating the position on the weekend. And I think mister Alberizi should apologize for misleading the Parliament and he should apologize for misrepresenting the Director General of Security.
Speaker 3: I keep playing that clip. I played it tonight Alberanizi. It wasn't even when he was a student. He was already in canber he was already in Feredil politics, tendred of pro Palestinian anti Israel rally. He was yelling into the megaphone and at that rally rally, and actually Criiche has reported this, there was an American an Israeli flag burned.
Speaker 2: It was held outside the US Embassy in Sydney. At the time it was in Martin Place. What do you think about this history and.
Speaker 3: How this influences the Prime Minister who's meant to govern for all Australians today.
Speaker 12: I'll show you're right to remind people of the Prime Minister's history on this. He has been a supporter of the Palestinian cause for a long time, and he has attended rallies where flags have been burnt and awful things have been chanted. But he's now the Prime Minister and it's time that he stepped up and governed for all Australians and protected all Australians from terrorist threats here in this country. It is a disaster that on his watch the terrorism threat has been lifted from possible to probable, and in such circumstances that he's taking such a lackadaisical attitude to our national security in not clearly preventing people who are sympathizers for Hamas coming to this country and being given the greatest thing that we can offer people a ticket, a visa, a chance for a new life.
Speaker 2: Just very quickly.
Speaker 3: Do you think there is a contradiction in government policy from Australian laws Hermas prescribed terror organization. It is against the law to support HAMAS. You can be prosecuted for being a member of HAMAS in Australia. Yet the current government policy, as articulated by Mike Bogess, is that sympathizers can come to Australia. So is this a bit of a legal contradiction here where potentially the policy might be against the law.
Speaker 12: Well, you're right to point that out, and that's the reason why we write the letter to Tanney Burke this week, because we said to him we want you to direct your agencies to ensure that the policy is clear. That the policy is that if you are a supporter of HAMAS, a list of terrorist organization in this country, or any other listed terrorist organization, you don't get a visa. And if you hear supporting terrorist organizzations and you're on a visa, that visa should be canceled.
Speaker 3: Julian Lisa, thank you very much for all your strong work for organizing that petition which then obviously led to Peter dut and making those remarks.
Speaker 2: So thank you very much for your time as well.
Speaker 12: Thanks Sherry.
Speaker 2: Now still to come.
Speaker 3: The Olympic boxer accused of being a man files a bullying complaint against JK Rowling and Elon Musk. Tom Slater would join me to discuss after this break well, controversial Olympic champion boxer Immain Califf has filed a cyber bullying complaint with Paris prosecutors after that explosive gender row named in the lawsuit none other than JK Rowling and Elon Musk over their tweets on the matter. Let's bring in now the UK Spiked online editor Tom Slater, Tom good to see you again. Look, Immain's lawyer says she was she if you can say she, I don't know, was targeted by a misogynist, racist and sexist and pain.
Speaker 2: What do you think about these claims?
Speaker 13: I think this case is a bit of a sick joke, frankly. I mean, given the fact that the reason there's been so much controversy is because whatever the specific details, what are mainly Khaliff is accused of is being a beneficiary of male puberty people suspect having a developmental sexual disordered or not, and like CASTERI Semnia and therefore it being wildly unfair, not to mention dangerous for Mini Clive to be competing against women who shall we say, haven't experienced that privilege, but now there to be these accusations of bullying towards people who just pointed this out said it was terribly unfair. As I said, I think it's a bit of a sick joke. Frankly, if we're going to talk about anyone being bullied in this situation, it's the various female athletes, not just in the boxing category, but many more who have found themselves not only pushed out of their own sports by people, whether they're transgender or other advantages, shall we say, and then not only that, not really being allowed to complain about it, being accused of being transphobic and romans for doing so. Those are the people should we should be focusing on, not this particular now Olympic champion who is thrying a hissy fit over people rightly criticizing what we all saw at the Olympics there.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you think about the lawsuit though?
Speaker 3: Do you think this complaint to the Paris prosecutor could actually have any impact as Elon Musk or JK Rowling need to worry about protecting their millions.
Speaker 13: I think it's a stunt more than anything else. Dare I say to be so cynical. I mean, the idea that Elon Musk or JK Rowling are going to be extradited from their respective countries in order to stand trial for their alleged role in cyberbullying this individual, I think is for the birds. But you know, it keeps the story in the headlines, It keeps this victimhood narrative going, and I dare say it's more about that than it is about anyone having their day in court.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 3: Look, an eleven year old girl has been stabbed in a daylight attack in London. This is an Australian girl. Now confirmation that she is Australian. She suffered serious but thankfully not life threatening injuries. Tom, what do we know about what happened here in the alleged attacker?
Speaker 13: This is absolutely horrifying. I mean, the suspect who has been arrested is awaiting trial. All we know is that he's Romanian national, he was of no fixed address, and the attack seems entirely random. I mean, got this poor girl and a headlock stabbed her to a neck. Injuries to her neck and a face and her shoulder eight times eight injuries inflicted upon her and I think it's a horrifying indication of where law and order in this country is going. Obviously, whenever you see mindless violence like this, it's horrendous, But when it's something which is inflicted on someone who is visiting the capital, as this young girl was, I mean, it really has that extra level of shame for how the police and the authorities have let things get to this thing.
Speaker 3: And people get more and more angry. Yet you've got this free speech censorship coming through at the moment in the UK.
Speaker 2: Do you think this is a trend.
Speaker 3: That we all need to be worried about, including us in Australia.
Speaker 13: I'm always struck by how so many Western countries are all sliding down this road to censorship at the moment. I mean across the piece, particularly governments that think of themselves of centrist or progressive or even liberal, are embracing the most authoritarian ideas imaginable. And to those who might not have been paying attention to the Minutira, I mean we now have a government which is talking about reviving a law, a provision within a piece of law to make social media companies clamp down on speech. Legal but harmful.
Speaker 3: It's just it's completely absurd. Tom say thank you so much for joining us. Great to have you on again, and thank you very much for your company this week.
Speaker 2: I'll see you Monday at eight.
Speaker 3: And right now, here's Paul Mary