Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry.
Speaker 3: I'm still Shari markson last time I checked. Good evening. Welcome to the program. Tonight of battle lines drawn as New South Wales Premier Chris Mins hits out at the Albanzi government over the goldmine debacle, and Barnaby Joyce and Matt Keane go head to head on energy, Barnaby accusing the Prime Minister's new Climate Authority chair of living in the Wizard of Oz. The Daily Telegraph editor Ben English would join me shortly. Plus Albanezi embarrassed on the world stage. I'll speak with my panel about his hot mic moment shortly. And can Kamala Harris be president if she needs her running mate to hold her hand for her first sit down interview. I'm going to come to that in just a moment, but first, Chris Mins has hit out at Tanya Plibasek for killing off the billion dollar gold mine. It's a staggering battle between New Southell's labor and the Albanezy government over the mine that's planned for Blaney near Orange and Mens didn't hold back in his support for the mine. In an interview at the Daily Telegraphs Bush summit today, following on from remarks he first made yesterday.
Speaker 2: We wanted to go ahead. We think it's too important for Blaney for regional economies. I had a meeting this morning with the Mayor of Blaney about this particular issue. I want to send a message that we're open for business. I'm disappointed by the decision from the Commonwealth Government.
Speaker 4: You disagree with the reversim to live.
Speaker 2: I said that many times and.
Speaker 5: So in your view, tenure Plebasik using that power was Shubazi error.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Opposition Leader Peter Dutton also weighed into this today, saying the Albanezy government was ruining the economy.
Speaker 6: When you get ten year Plubusk closing a mind for votes, you know that this government's gone off track. This government is doing an enormous amount of damage to the economy and I think Australians are starting to see through that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: The New South I was premier, had earlier said he was disappointed and he quoted the Land Council submission that said we question the motives of people and organizations who participate in promoting unsubstantiated claims and seek to hijack Aboriginal cultural heritage in order to push other agendas and there had already been five years of processes and approvals, but then Plebisk stepped in at the eleventh hour to block it. She cited Section ten of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Protection Act. She said that she took the advice of the Wiriji Traditional Owners over the Orange Local Aboriginal Land Council, which had no objections to the mine going ahead.
Speaker 7: The Rotary Traditional Owners Central West Aboriginal Corporation is the group that I've acted to. They have asked me to act to protect this area as cotually significant and I've taken their advice that it is culturally significant for them. This is the same group of people that the previous Environment Minister Susan Lay listened to.
Speaker 3: But one prominent Wirajuri man, who is also a former chair of the New South Wales Aboriginal Land Council, said that Indigenous culture was being hijacked for other agendas, and he said he'd never heard of artists, Nirie Reynolds, all the eighteen members of the Wirerajury owners that are now objecting to the.
Speaker 8: Mind, why all people be rolling in their grave if they knew that our culture has been hijacked for hidden agendas, and it's.
Speaker 4: Not right.
Speaker 3: In those comments. Also today the Bush Summit, there was a lot of news coming out of it. As I said, we're going to get to ben English in a minute. But Tanya plubisk is now in a way trying to walk back or explain away her decision. She says the mind can go ahead, but in a different location. She says she only objects to the location of the tailings down.
Speaker 7: My job as the Environment Minister is to protect aberiginal in terres strait is under cultural heritage, and that's what I'm doing well.
Speaker 3: It seems, and this is what critics are accusing her of of making a decision on a whim by passing the five years' worth of approvals by both state and federal departments. And it's understood that Plimisek is frustrated at this scrutiny. Even her own Prime Minister is struggling to defend her.
Speaker 9: Chris Minz would like it to go ahead. I'd like to go ahead too. There's nothing to stop it.
Speaker 3: There are other options, nothing to stop it. Only his own minister unrival Tanya Plimisek. But this isn't just about one gold mine. What's important here is the message that this sends about Australia's reliability to potential investors. It says that investing in Australia is too high a risk to take. But the Prime Minister isn't across the detail of what any of his ministers are doing, and this is part of the problem. And Albinizi seemed far more annoyed at a journalist today recording him having an informal conversation in public with a US official than he did with Plebisex's decision. It's only when a hot mess explodes with a popular labor premier coming out against his own side that Albanezi bothers to pay attention. Now. Kamala Harris wants to be the leader of the free world, taking on the West's enemies in China, Iran and Russia. Well, how can she hold that ambition if she needs her running mate to hold her hand during her first media interview. Harris wants to be president of the US, yet she's been too scared to face any serious scrutiny. In the five weeks since Joe Biden backed out of the race, Kamala Harris has not done one tough interview. She has finally agreed to front up and she'll do her first interview Thursday night, US time eleven am tomorrow our time. But there's a catch. It's with a friendly journalist on a left leaning media outlet. It's a pre record, not live, and she won't do it alone. Her running mate Tim Walls will be there beside her. Kamala Harris has chosen CNN host Dana Bash to do the interview, and it's not hard to work out why when you look at what Dana has said about Kamala and the Democrats in the past.
Speaker 10: I just want to do a little bit of record correcting. No, there's not record crime right now. Number one, Harris was put in charges, you said earlier of combating the roots of immigration. She was not and is not.
Speaker 3: The borders are.
Speaker 10: I've spent time with Doug Emhoff. By the way, side note, I just have to get this in there because I love this. The video that played before his speech, narrated by their son. His ex wife produced it. Right, there's a lot for President Biden to tout. Americans don't seem to be giving him the credit. Why is that and what does he have to do to.
Speaker 3: Turn that around.
Speaker 10: The former president falsely claimed that the vice president quote happened to turn black for political reasons. You are the only black woman right now serving in the US Senate? What do you make of all this?
Speaker 3: And as for doing the interview with Tim Walls, well, even all the CNN commentators have criticized Kamala Harris for this.
Speaker 11: I think it's incredibly weak, weak sauce to show up with your running mate, the fact that they don't have enough confidence in her to let her sit herself the actual top of the ticket and do a single interview. In fact, I think the hand ringing and the gyrations over this over the last month show a troubling lack of confidence in her political ability, which also makes you wonder, as a voter, well, what kind of president would you be if this kind of a small time decision? Can we do an interview or not? What does that look like for your decision making process?
Speaker 3: Now, if CNN doesn't do a tough interview, it will destroy what's left of the credibility of their news network. The Australian's Washington correspondent Adam Crichton says that CNN needs to ask why does she now support a border wall that she once dubbed medieval. Why is she now an advocate for fracking after stating there is no question I'm in favor of banning fracking, And why is there still not a single policy listed at KamalaHarris dot com. But Crichton says her strategy of not speaking to the media has been working. It's been effective. She's just ahead of Trump in national polls and this is a stunning turnaround in a little over a month. Now. Trump is also to blame for this. He's been criticized for sharing a sexist post that implies Kamala Harris only got to her position owing to sexual favors. And Donald Trump hasn't yet successfully reframed his political campaign to target Kamala Harris. But Trump's many faults, flaws, and foibles are well known to the American public. He is by now a known quantity. Kamala Harris isn't. In fact, The Wall Street Journal editorial board says she's the least known presidential candidate in modern history and has had the least amount of media scrutiny. The paper's editorial says that having was as a chaperone in this interview with a parachute to rescue her is an insult to American voters. They said the vice president was handed the nomination in an inside job a month ago. Her views on the crucial issues she'd confront as president aren't clear, and what do we know has been dribbled out in campaign press statements that we are supposed to accept is her real views? Her campaign speeches amount to little more than gausey rehetoric and vibes. Her strategy is to float at forty thousand feet from here to November, when we will all learn what she really intends as president, or perhaps more accurately, what her advisors and the Barack Obama aids now running her campaign intent. They say, how can we know what is true if miss Harris dodges serious questioning? I think those points by the Wall Street Journal editorial board are accurate and strong. And isn't Kamala embarrassed that she can't handle a media interview on her own? How can she possibly tell Americans to elect her when she's too scared of holding her own with journalists? And how can Americans expect her to stand up to the ayatolas of Iran president? She or putin if she can't even face a tough interview with a single American journalist. If Kamala Harris wins in November, many political analysts have said she would be the most left leaning president to sit in the Oval office. Her positions on foreign and economic policy aren't just a matter of critical importance to the United States, but they've got reverberations globally too. Still regretting the blowtoch that they apply to Hillary Clinton, the establishment media in the US are now rolling out the red carpet for Kamala without so much as a raised eyebrow over her inconsistent policy positions. Those running for the highest office need to be subject to more scrutiny. All right, let's bring in now tonight's panel, National Senator Matt Canavan and The Australian's National affairs editor Joe Kelly. Welcome to you both. Matt, let's start with this issue. What's your view of the fact that mainstream media outlets in the US have failed comprehensively failed to interrogate what Kamala Harris's policies actually are, what she's taking to the election, what she stands for.
Speaker 12: Look, it is.
Speaker 5: Concerning you'd hope in any open, transparent democracy you get a proper scrutiny of all candidates. Certainly does seem some sections of the media era are not really playing the job as watchdogs, the cheerleaders. Cheerleaders for one side, and really you're getting a situation now where Joe Biden, when he was running from the basement, was doing more interviews during COVID lockdowns. Then you're getting from Carmla Harris here, who's trying to run a very scriptive campaign. So look, I think it is also very concerning for the world in a situation where we really don't know who's leading the US right now. We've got a lot of challenges around the world, a lot of conflicts going on, and the US is the world leader in these things. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a backing right now.
Speaker 3: Exactly a lot of people say, oh, this is up to the American people, and obviously they're the only ones who get devote but actually it is a matter that concerns all of us. You know, if the US goes into a recession, well that's a problem for us here as well. Not to mention foreign policy, Joe I mentioned there that Donald Trump is a known quantity to Australians to Americans. For all his faults, they know him, but there seems to be more style than substance. The Wall Street Journal calls it a vibe when it comes to Kamala Harris's campaign.
Speaker 13: What do you think, well, Sherry, I think it's very good that Kamala Harris has agreed to do an interview with mainstream media. Sure it's CNN, shor it's with DNA Bash, who had very positive things to say about Kamala Harris's speech at the Democratic National Convention, but she was criticized for not talking to the mainstream media, and as Adam A. Crichton has said, that seems to be working for us so far. So I think it's good that she is fronting up and doing an interview to begin with the issue about whether Tim Waltz is there as a crutch to hold her hand. I'm not sure if that's a request from the Democratic team, whether that was part of the request from CNN. At the end of the day, it's all going to boil down to her performance, how effective she is at actually answering some of those questions about the flip flopping. If you remember the campaign that was run against John Kerry on the flip flop issue back in two thousand and four. It was very effective, very devastating against him. So she will need to be effective. And I share your hope that it is a serious interview and that she has asked some tough questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she does need to be able to explain if she has changed those positions and how and what has changed. Now let's turn to domestic politics. Although the PM is of course overseas, and he was caught on a hot mic moment, as you call it. This was on the sideline of the Pacific Islands Forum. He was saying to Kurt Campbell that perhaps their four hundred million dollar Pacific Policing Initiative could be shared the cost. He was kind of joking about it.
Speaker 9: Have a look, we had a cracker today getting the Pacific Policing initiative.
Speaker 8: This fantastic.
Speaker 4: It is so important made.
Speaker 11: It's a script and I talked with Kevin about it then, so you know we were going to do something of the s S ninety.
Speaker 14: So we did nothing. We're just having a chat giving you a void.
Speaker 4: Take theween.
Speaker 1: Half.
Speaker 9: He's on the cost if you like.
Speaker 3: So Kirk Campbell very clearly there said we were going to do something, but I spoke to Kevin. Kevin right, he asked us to hold back, so you know, we let you have the runway. Albanezy wasn't too impressed that a journalist took and posted the video. Have a look. The video is what it is.
Speaker 14: Someone.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's up to them to whoever did that, to think about their own ethics when it comes to journalism. There was a private conversation. It was a jovial conversation, a friendly one. You know, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Look, Matt, it was in a public place. It's an issue of public interest. It wasn't like they were in a private room. They were standing there, open in the public. So did the New Zealand radio journalist do anything wrong here? Well, look, first of.
Speaker 5: All, Shario actually don't have a problem with what Albaneze said. It was a bit of a lame joke. But who cares was a joke.
Speaker 6: I don't care.
Speaker 5: There's nothing really in it. But I think that's what this shows is the Prime Minister seems to have more glass in his jaw than a modern skyscraper building. It's not the first time he's reacted like this. I mean he could have just brushed this off. Instead he's gone on the attack on some journalists, poor journalists doing their job. We saw a few months ago that when the Prime Minister where the promise to try to support the crackdown on so called misinformation X, a number of people made means about him and put clown faces on his face, and he was papoplectic about it, like you wanted a sense of people from making fun of the Prime Minister. I just think it needs to develop a bit of a tougher skin here. He's the nation's leader. You're going to be subject to criticisms sometimes, sometimes some semi brow embarrassing stuff like this comes out. Just get on with your job, mate, and stop trying to protect your own image so much in such a clumsy way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll watch what you say in public. Joe Kelly, what's your take on this? And also that suggestion from Kurt Campbell that Australia asked the US to take a backward step. I mean he didn't explain exactly what he meant there, but to take a backward step so Australia could have the limelight to make this announcement.
Speaker 13: Well, the first thing I think, Sherry, is that the Prime Minister could have turned this, I think into a good news story if he had sort of more of a knack at being able to do that. I don't think think, as Matt said, there was anything wrong with what the Prime Minister said. In fact, I think there was some revealing insights into some positive things. That the relationship between him and Kurt Campbell is obviously very good. They've got a rapport, the US is very interested in the Pacific and the Pacific Policing Initiative, and even the involvement of Kevin Rudd. I think could have all had a positive Albanese could have put a positive spin on all of that rather than take shots at the journalist in question. In terms of the specific question about Kevin Rudd. I even think that perhaps Albanese could have said, well, this shows that the US understands Australia's leadership role in the region, and that Australia has a leadership role to play and they're giving us the leeway to do that. I mean, we don't know exactly what Kurt Campbell was referring to, but I think the Prime Minister could most certainly have put a positive spin on the whole thing, but instead it's become a negative news story.
Speaker 3: Show Yeah. Indeed, now Peter Dutton has taken aim at Jim Charmers, the Treasurer, over his comments saying that Dutton is the most divisive leader of a major political party in Australian history. He was Dutton with Ray Hadley earlier today.
Speaker 4: What he's talking about is the Voice and we took a position on the Voice to vote against it. And if I'm racist as a result of that or divisive as a result of that, well he's accusing millions of the strains of exactly the same crime. The Prime Minister promised a kind of gentler parliament and it's anything but I mean, if you disagree with this government or you call out their failures all of a sudden, you're dangerous.
Speaker 3: Matt. I spoke to Scott Morrison about this a couple of days ago and he says that Labour used the same political attack on him that they're now using on Dutton, playing the man rather than the ball. What do you think?
Speaker 5: I think Scott's exactly right. When these guys were in opposition, they unleashed one of the most negative campaigns you've ever seen against the Prime Minister. I mean, he was pillory for just taking a family holiday in Hawaii. They played that relentlessly for years now. Look, I'm not complaining about that. That's politics, that's life, and we had to live with that and live with the results of that. But again it comes back to the glassdoor nature of this government. They just can't seem to handle any disagreement or criticism, and I don't think that's a good sign for our country. You'd want a government to be a bit more resilient about to cop the fact that sometimes people will disagree with you and to come out with absurd comparison take you the most deviceive ever. I mean, Jim Chalmers did his PhD on Paul Keating on economics. He did it on Paul Keating. I I don't think he learnt much because his barbs are nowhere near Paul Keating. He's not the second coming of Paul Keating, and maybe he needs to work on his material a bit more.
Speaker 3: Joe. As frustrating as this would be for Peter Dart and the Coalition, it has proven to be an effective strategy, isn't it painting? An individual as divisive or racist. I mean, it's nothing that we agree with or think is accurate. But for the Labor Party it's going to work for them.
Speaker 13: Well, I'm not convinced it will work. It has worked in the past, Charry, as we saw so effectively with the character assassination of Scott Morrison that was waged relentlessly by Anthony Albanesi. But you have to remember that was a campaign waged against a prime minister from an opposition leader. Labor is now in government and I don't know if it's as effective going the other way. And I thought it was unusual that Jim Charmers used the latter part of his curtain oration to launch this attack against Peter Dutton, this character attack, and I think there was an element of defensiveness from Jim Charmers during the week. I mean it was a significant week in terms of economic data. The inflation figures came out and he was still getting questions about his political attack on Peter Durrant. But Peter Dutton when he was responding to the inflation figures. So I'm not sure if that's I'm not sure if that is the best look. I'm not sure it will be as successful as the campaign that they launched against Scott Morrison. And I do think there is an element of hypocrisy over it, given that the government's under pressure over the visas given to people fleeing Gaza, and also what happened with the voice reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, and if anyone, as I've said, is dividing the country, it's alb and easy by bringing in potential HARMUS supporters that could just further erode the lack of social cohesion we're already seeing on our streets. Joe Kelly Matt Canavan. Great to have you both on the show. Now let's return to this controversy over the gold mine and the new Southeest. Premier Chris Mins has said that he's disappointed in Tinya Polverisk's decision to kill it off. He spoke about the issue today as I played Juice comments just before at the Daily Telegraph's Bush Summit in Orange and Joiny Minow is the Telegraph's editor, Ben English, Ben, thanks for joining us. Look, you splashed your front page on this story yesterday. My understanding is that Tanya Plibisek is a little bit annoyed at the scrutiny that you're putting on her. But the premiere has made it clear that all the approvals were met and that the main indigenous group in Orange has no objection. So what do you think about her decision to cancel this mine at the last minute.
Speaker 15: Well, I don't know if Tanya's is irritated by our coverage, but she should have come to Orange today to see how much she's more than irritated the overwhelming majority of people in the Central West who see this as a swipe from an any city minister that hasn't even shown the good manners and good grace to come and see the mind project or the site that she's made this decision about. There was genuine anger there today in Orange, and I don't think this is going away.
Speaker 3: This is also quite a fascinating political story as well, because it really is the first big dispute we've seen between the state labor government Chris Mins and the Abanesi government, isn't it?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 15: It is, And in fact, this is a good one for Chris Mens to choose to choose that battle. There usually comes a time with premieres, even when they're on the same side and the same color where they have to choose to represent their own constituents. And this is a good one for Chris Mens, and it's actually aligned with his own values anyway, he is very genuinely concerned about this decision and the signals it sends to the investment world. There is a very strong view, or at least a growing view amongst the resources sector that New South Wales is actually a sovereign risk. It's actually not a safe place to invest because, as has happened with Regis, the company that's behind this project, you can invest five, six, seven years and countless millions of dollars in the planning process only to be basically king hit at the last moment.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly right. That is why this is such a wirrying story for all of Australia, not just in New South Wales. But I think that your point. I think this also shows the difference between the centrist Men's government and what we're seeing, which is quite a radical left Albanezy government. I mean, the Men's government really is the model of what a labor government should be, and his instincts a mainstream on so many issues, including this one. But Ben, your sum it made quite a lot of News Today. There was also a blue between Barnaby Joyce and Matt Kean over renewable energy. Let's have a quick look at the.
Speaker 12: Cheapest way of delivering reliable energy is firm for renewr books. What's this the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 16: Honestly, I'll tell you where the truth lies, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: When you get that little thing in the mail.
Speaker 12: With a box in it called the power bill, there lies the truth. Power bills are going up for two very clear reasons. One, there's a war in the Ukraine that has pushed the wholesale price that does push the wholesale price of coal up.
Speaker 16: We just have the cheapest power in the world and now we've got some of the dearest power.
Speaker 4: In the world.
Speaker 3: The war in Ukraine. It's to blame for all of our bills and the rising cost of living.
Speaker 15: Ben Yeah, it was fantastic. And look, it has to be said. Barniey was playing to her home crowd there and they were mightily unimpressed with Matt Kean's his argument they're trying to blame external forces. I would say, I think you would have experienced this too, Shari. The people in the bush extremely well well versed in the issues at play. They have to be, and they're even more well versed now they've got better access to Sky News, and they just weren't having They weren't having that for a moment, and in fact, I thought Barnaby was probably in the best form he's been in some time.
Speaker 10: He did get.
Speaker 15: Fired up, and our John Rolf had to sort of come in and separate the two men at different stages when it started to get too bare knuckle. But Barnaby landed some very telling blows because he was actually going to the nub of this, which is that there is a very very clear reason why bills are going up, and that's because of the enormous cost of the out of the pouring out of the transmission lines, and the broader capital cost of renewable infrastructure, and also the demise of fossil fuel, you know, based low powers a supply. So you know, I I think Barnaby basically took him apart, took.
Speaker 3: Him apart well. Matt Keane, of course, has now been appointed by Anthony Alberanezi to be the Climate Change Authority Chair. I mean that appointment happened while he was still in the New South Wales Parliament hadn't officially resigned yet, but you know, given what you heard about his position today, you know, where do you expect this renewable energy push to go given he does now have this federal role.
Speaker 15: Oh look, you know he's he's serving his paymasters and he's going to plow on with the you know, the relentless rolling out of these intermittent assets if you want to call them that. And you know there's there's a number of projects, enormous number of projects that are that are stacking up and with the benefit of a government subject of government subst and I must say not many of them are subjected to Section ten objections from any environment ministers. So I think as long as this government is in the federal government, then we're going to see basically an.
Speaker 14: Acceleration of the rollout of renewables.
Speaker 15: Where they will be munked by reality is when we start to see blackouts some particularly hot days in summer and when they fail to curve the increasing power bills.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, and if that happens this summer, that's going to be a big political problem for the Prime minister ahead of an election which we're expecting in the first quarter of next year. But English are big congrats on your Bush summit and highlighting issues that affect regional and rule Australians. Thank you for joining us. Now, before we go to the break, I want to mention that I've got two amazing guests on Monday night's program. Here's a sneak peak of one exclusive interview. This is a very volatile period. The biggest political issue in our parliament.
Speaker 1: Australia runder threat Britain's former spy chief and he's great warning over her.
Speaker 9: Mass Australia isn't going to be immune from this terrorist probata.
Speaker 3: For sky News exclusive Where do you think this is headed?
Speaker 7: Extremely careful in allowing these people in.
Speaker 10: If you can't trace and you can't.
Speaker 3: Vet, there will be lowe wolves.
Speaker 1: Watch Harry eight pm Monday on Sky News.
Speaker 3: So that is the former head of mi I six, Sir Richard dear Love, and he weighs in in a big way on the Gazan visa issue. That big interviews on Monday night. Also on the same night, I've got the farmer Israeli government spokesman Alon Levy will be joining me. Terrific guest. You don't want to miss that at all Monday Night's show. But still to come this evening, we're live to Ukraine where the Coalition is pledging to reopen the Australian Embassy in Kiev. Pennywog just won't do this. But Simon Birmingham will join me next. Plus another display of weak leadership by the University of Sydney that's coming up after this quick break. Welcome back now. Simon Birmingham will be joining me out of Ukraine in just a moment to talk about why Pennywong refuses to open up the Australian embassy and his commitment Peter Dutton's commitment to do so if they win the election. But now let's return to October seven. Now, the Israeli Army. It's little known, but they have their own unit when a Jewish soldier dies in battle. These are highly qualified professionals, and yet no amount of experience could have prepared them for what they witnessed on October seven. The men and women in this unit had to endure the harrowing task of identifying and purifying the bodies of those murdered by Hamas. Now to speak to me about this, some more. I'm joined by Noah Lewis, who is the female head of the if Ritual Burial Society. Noah, thank you so much for joining us. And you're of course in Australia at the moment from Israel. Now it's such a hard thing for you to talk about and to relive, but can you tell us a bit about the extent of Hermasa's brutality from what you saw in the aftermath of October seventh? Okay, thank you.
Speaker 17: When I arrived to the base on October seventh, I've never seen anything even close with that in my life. There were trucks of trucks of bodies coming from all over, you know, civilians and babies, old people, people mutated, imutated, a lot of blood parts of bodies. We saw ashes, we saw burnt bodies, soldiers, young kids. We also got the just from everything different, different, different situation of bodies that I've never seen in my life. Not the state of the situation and not the not the amounts I've seen. I've seen. Uh, you know, girls that it looked like they've been killed so many times again and again. You know, they've been shot at and again and and different.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Also like you know, shooting in the face and in very painful, very painful to watch it. But it wasn't just a bullet or just a simple day you know cut. You know, you could see parts of the bodies in separate bags and uh and amounts, so many and different ages.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 17: It was very painful.
Speaker 3: There must have been particularly heartbreaking confronting having to see what these terrorists had done to children and babies.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think there were There was a secretion, the secretion of the body, and I felt for me it was like a desecreting of human being. This is not the way that human being behaving. It was hurting me as a as a person of the world to seek such a brutality, such a pure evil, pure evil, that's what you can say. It's the bad, the stuff, the pure evil that we saw. It's something that you can't contain, you don't understand, you can't even that I saw it, and I was part of the job.
Speaker 3: I wasn't just watching it.
Speaker 17: I had to cover I had to take pieces to try to identify we were, you know, doing our team different parts of it. But understanding that it's something that we don't understand and we just come to do exactly the opposite.
Speaker 3: Look. People have tried to downplay the extent of her Massa's horrors that they inflicted, that some people turn her mass into freedom fighters, but in fact, the priorities from October seven and since show us that Harmasa on power are worse than Isis on power, or worse than the Nazis. I agree.
Speaker 17: I'm a descendant of my grandmother was in Ashwitz, and I've seen ashes in Ashwitz where my grandmother was, and I had to put ashes in a coffin.
Speaker 3: It's it feels like.
Speaker 17: You know, the world is going you know, we're in the Western world, We're going forward, Christian, Muslims, Jewish people, the world is going ahead, and the Hamas and Chrisbala, they just you know, trying to pull us back.
Speaker 3: It's it's a.
Speaker 17: You know, facing it make me make me proud, make me make me proud to be Jewish, make me proud to say I'm edding good to the world. I'm trying to be good. I'm trying to fight the bed I'm taking. I want to say to everyone, you know.
Speaker 3: Take the right part.
Speaker 17: There's things that I even can talk about what I've seen, but listen to the truth, listen to the the good.
Speaker 3: And think which part do you want to take?
Speaker 17: Who do you want to join?
Speaker 3: And that's why you're in Australia at the moment. I mean, I can't even imagine how that would have affected you emotionally, seeing what you waitness from October seven.
Speaker 17: It is affecting, but it's mostly I'm looking ahead people many people, many people lost their lives and family are obviously devastated, and we are looking forward for the world, for the Jewish people, for all the people, just to continue with the good. And this is why I'm here. People say I'm too scared to leave your country. I'm not scared of from us. I'm not scared of Ribata. I just want to say to the world they're not. We shouldn't be scared of them. We should just don't let them continue and stop them and let people fight against them.
Speaker 3: All right, Noel Lewis, I can't even say thank you very much for being here about I find your courage extraordinary and I can't imagine doing the job that you do on a daily basis, even you know, apart from October seven. So thank you so much, thank you, Thank you Now the Coalition has vowed to safely reopen Australia's embassy in Ukraine if they win the next election, saying that Labour's stubborn refusal to do so has undermined our reputation as a reliable international ally. Shortly after Russia invaded Ukraine in February twenty twenty two, the Morrison government at the time ordered staff to evacuate Kiev. Since then, around seventy other countries have reopened their embassies in Ukraine. Well, for more on this, let's bring in Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Birmingham, who is right now in Ukraine. Simon, great to see you with us. So tell us why do you think, well, why is Penny one refusing to reopen the embassy?
Speaker 14: Hello, Shaari, It's good to be with you.
Speaker 18: Look, it is totally baffling as to the stubbornness of the Albanese government in terms of taking this step. As you said in the introduction, around seventy countries from Ireland to Indonesia have reopened their embassies in Kiev. They've done so safely, cautiously, appropriately. It's a city that I've been in the last couple of nights and of course it's a city that has built strong safeguards, warning systems, air defense systems and created an environment where a range of different embassies are able to operate, and by operating they're able to get the.
Speaker 14: Best possible information and intelligence and access to the Ukrainian government when and where they need it, which Australia is not able to get a present by virtue of our ambassador being forced to be hundreds of kilometers away in Poland.
Speaker 3: Look, there are accusations that Australia has let down Zelanski and Ukraine in other matters as well. Do you think we could be doing more in terms of supplying weapons or funding aid to Ukraine s.
Speaker 18: The first thing is that we give one hundred percent bipartisan support for everything ASTRA has done. When the Morrison government was in power and the Russian invasion of Ukraine commenced, we made sure Australia was at the forefront of support. We were, in fact the largest non NATO country supporting Ukraine, giving assistance in terms of financial assistance, military assistance, humanitarian assistance, energy assistance, comprehensive support for the country.
Speaker 14: And the Albanesi government that has slipped. We are now no longer the largest non NATO contributor.
Speaker 18: Countries like Japan and South Korea have overtaken us, and we do think that there is more.
Speaker 14: That could be done.
Speaker 18: We shouldn't be retiring army helicopters to be junked and buried in Australia. We should be sending them or at least the parts to support Ukraine. We should be answering quickly when Ukraine asked for Australian coal and ensuring those shipments go, not fapping around for months and months, and then eventually putting money into an international fund. These are not the type of science of urgency and commitment that you would and should expect Australia to show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a case similar to Israel, where the Albanezi government has let down a nation that should clearly be our ally or Simon Birmingham, stay safe over there and thanks for joining us in the program. Now plenty more to come after the break. Radio host Kyle Sanderlands has wrongly unleashed on people he's calling Looney's who are trying to cancel Candace Owens's visa. I'll play you that audio next. Plus we're in an economic horror show as retailers are given a grim warning ahead of Christmas. I'll speak about this with my panel Welcome Back. Well, there's been a bit of a debate about whether far right commentator Candace Owens should be given a visa to come to Australia. And I'm not going to replay the worst of her comments because they do not deserve to be broadcast further. But they're so bad that Peter dar and the Coalition and Jewish groups have called for her not to be issued a visa. But according to Kyle Sandalans, who spoke to Owen's this morning on his radio show, her ideas should be hurt. Have a listen.
Speaker 1: I read an article people were trying to stop you from coming. Why do people try and stop hearing other people's ideas? Why is that as the.
Speaker 5: Question that I have to ask you because it was so When I saw that, and I saw.
Speaker 2: That, someone spoke out and said that it's so foreign.
Speaker 1: We're very laid back here, we're very sort of passive people, and there's a couple of loons that are running around t and I think if you're trying to stop hearing someone's idea, you're scared that other people will like that person's idea.
Speaker 3: Perhaps Kyle Sandalans hasn't heard the extent of Candae Owen because it's her who is looney, not the people opposing her. Arriving, we're to discuss Let's bringing commentator Jason Morrison and freyer Leitch from the Menzies Research Center. Welcome to you both, Prayer. I think there is a difference between hate speech and free speech, and countss Owens is engaging completely in conspiracy theories and hate speech.
Speaker 19: Look, this is a challenging one because I think if we're going to protect free speech for us, we have to uphold it for all. So it is hard and it's hard to find that line between what is free speech and what crosses over into hate speech. I actually think we should issue Candis a visa, but with a condition. She has to go on a tour of the Sydney Jewish Museum guided by Holocaust survivors and see the extent of the Holocaust, which she denies and she downplays. And then as an Israeli woman in Sydney who has VR goggles that depict October seven, then she has to put the VR goggles on. She has to watch forty seven minutes of her Maasa's barbarous atrocities of October seven, and then she should come on this show, on your show, Shari, and she should have a debate with you and whoever you want to bring on about what happened on October seven, about the Israel Gaza issue. That's what we have to do. We have to stop letting these anti Semitic ideas fester in dark corners of the Internet. We have to bring them into the light and we have to combat them with the sort of truth.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Jason, I'm with you.
Speaker 20: I'm with you totally. I actually don't I'm not a banner, not a banner of anyone, and so irony that we're talking about banning people. We're bringing planloads of people in on tourism visus at the moment who actually hate Jews as well. So I think, you know, we've got to get a.
Speaker 3: Bit real here.
Speaker 20: This is a distraction from the real issue in Australia right now, and that is the people we are importing into the country to stay here with obnoxious and a borrn views. I think I have no problem with this. I actually think she's a classic. She thinks she knows more than she does. I think she's full of crap.
Speaker 3: A lot of the time.
Speaker 20: She's captivating speaker, and I don't think if she's any good, you'd knock a hole through all with logic and mostly the people on this station, most people on talk radio, if they put their minds to wed knock a hole through because she's not that good when put under the pump.
Speaker 3: But I think the problem is, though, if she was just coming here for a holiday, well it might be a different story. But she's coming here to speak to it. Hey, the holiday people are coming here to live. Well I know, I know, don't get me started. But she's coming here to speak to huge crowds of people. Are these are events that she's performing at, and so her ideas are dangerous and people do listen to them, and it's and she's got millions of followers, and it's problematic.
Speaker 20: Can I tell you, though, if you go digging into who's bringing her out, I think you'll find that's the same kind of group that's been bringing out a lot of people that have never arrived here.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, I'm going to have a look at that over the weekends. Will follow that on Monday Nights show now very quickly. Australia's retail sector has been in a recession for eighteen months now and consumers have cut back on shopping in this cost of living crisis. Freya, this is worrying again. We nowhere in a per capit recession as it is.
Speaker 19: I know it's terrible. I mean, real disposable income per capita has fallen almost eight percent since the election in just two years. I'm certainly feeling the pinch. I think it's even worse for young people who are renters or maybe first home buyers. It is challenging out there and this is the result of Albo's radical left wing agenda, cracking down on industrial relations, soaring power prices, interest rates are going crazy. This is the result.
Speaker 3: People feel poorer, Jason. This is still the biggest issue ahead of the next election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are poorer.
Speaker 20: They're much poorer because life stood still for most people, other than people in the public service that kind of in the ABC to get the automatic pay rises. In the real world, people stand still. In small business people are going backwards right now. And look at the number of shops that are empty, Look at the number of businesses that are just not without customers, the shopfronts that have got follice signs up. There's a tragedy going on in Australia at the moment, and I'll say tragically that tragedy is being caused by government things like pushing up power prices. They're looking for ways to kill us on the run here. And you know the last inflation figures that came through. When you go through a category category, you say, energy is such a big contributor all these things going up, and that's a big reason our life is at the moment very much under test.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a huge issue. A right. Jason Morris and Freileach. Great to see you both, go anywhere more questions tonight about our country is looming energy crisis. That's after the break welcome back. Well at first glance, it seems like Australia's Energy regulator has painted a more positive outlook for the latest energy crisis. It's latest reliability outlook improving compared with last year. To discuss that's bringing out The Australian's Environment editor Graham, Lloyd Graham, Great to see you again. Look, what is the risk of blackouts across the country this summer and moving forward.
Speaker 16: Well, good evening, Chari. The risk of blackouts this summer is really apparent in New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. And while the Energy Regulator is saying, look, the situation has improved a little bit, that's really sort of faint praise or comfort because it's really on a knife's edge still. What the regulator has really said is that over the ten year horizon, if everything goes to plan, all the government's ambitions are met on time, then we should be able to carry through. But of course the problem is that the government programs are never really met on time, so the potential for the need for other sources of energy to hold things together is still really great. For what it means for people in the community more generally is that the government is going to be very determined to push through its programs. So the hostility we're seeing, particularly in rural communities to the roll out of transmission lines and things. As things get tighter, they're going to be given less and less consideration.
Speaker 3: Graham, I also wanted to get your take as Environment editor on the conflict this debate over the gold mine in New South Wales, as far as you can see, are there any reasons for it not to go ahead.
Speaker 16: Well, the decision that was made was on cultural heritage grounds and this is what makes it very very difficult. I mean, the boardrooms around Australia are alarmed at the rising level of sovereign risk if you like, in making big investment decisions and doing business here. And this is because the Environment Minister has come up and said secret business can't tell you what it is, but no you can't do it. Very difficult needs to deal with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, indeed, all right, Graham Lloyd, thank you very much for joining me. That's it for me. Don't miss Monday big show. So Richard, dear love on Ailon Levy. I'll see you then.