Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Tory Archbold. For two decades, I've nurtured the world's top performing retail brands and celebrities. Now'm asking entrepreneurs, CEOs and influencers to share their own secrets to success. They're highs, their lows, their game changing moments, and how they got to where they are today. It's a podcast equivalent of opening the best Little Black Book of Contacts.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: If this resonates with you and you're ready to step outside of your comfort zone and into your power zone, I invite you to join my exclusive community via our website, the Powerful dash Steps dot com. Now everyone needs a little bit of in their life, which is why I have reached out to Alice Clark, the creator and founder of Omph Recruitment out of Melbourne, Australia, today to deep dive into the power.
Speaker 3: Of her story. Now.
Speaker 1: Alice and I actually met through the power of a coffee date that I had with someone many many years ago who recommended that she reach out. Alice did. She completed our Business Attract program and she is like a super star female entrepreneur in our Powerful Steps community. Welcome to the Powerful Stories Podcast, Alice.
Speaker 3: Thank you, toy. I'm so excited to be here today.
Speaker 1: I am so excited as well. I can like you're like a.
Speaker 4: Little pocket rocket full of magical energy, and I want to be able to get all of your wisdom out of you in the next twenty minutes to share with our audience.
Speaker 1: Because you're now celebrating fifteen years as the owner of one of Australia's top recruitment agencies for creatives. Why did you decide to create your own business versus working for someone else?
Speaker 2: I think fundamentally it was all about delivering something better. Like in life, you have so many experiences with different workplaces and I was fortunate enough to cut my teeth in recruitment in London and worked with a Britique recruitment agency there. So coming back to Melbourne, I wanted to pick the bits that I loved and pick what I thought the world needed in terms of what was lacking in recruitment. Recruitment, unfortunately, is one of those industries that has a bad rap sometimes. Yeah, I just wanted to not be limited by somebody else's direction, but be able to have my ideas and build a team to deliver that value.
Speaker 1: Now I know, through the power of your five point story just how powerful you are in terms of connecting with others. And I always say there's something in our childhood that allows us to step into our true power later on in life. Talk to me about how your parents had this incredible shop in Melbourne. They gave you the opportunity to actually connect and communicate with others, because I do believe that there is a golden thread in our stories as to how we step into success later on in life. A little bit of a background about who you are, where you grew up, and what were those key lessons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm one of three siblings.
Speaker 2: My mom and dad arrived from Greece, you know, in the sixties and came with not very much, so you know, together they obviously had their own work, but set up a fish and chip shop and ended up having two, which was a family business.
Speaker 3: It was a family affair.
Speaker 2: My sister was completing HC at the time, that's how long ago it was, so my brother as well. So we were all in there shaking chips and on the grill and I was ten, standing on a crate taking orders, quick arithmetic.
Speaker 3: It was fantastic.
Speaker 2: I think that's honestly how I developed my communication skills, my customer service skills, my want to serve.
Speaker 3: And to I supposed to please but also to deliver.
Speaker 1: Now, I know that in business relationships we all invest in community years and communities is one of the things that grows a business because it's through showing people that how the why that they advocate for you. And I know, on average you've had these clients for many, many years in your business. How did you build the trust for people to come to you first, either be placed in a role or for a big creative agency to come to you and say, I know, you know the person for the role.
Speaker 2: Building a relationship is going to be your fundamental focus, and you've got to be curious and you've got to be really interested in the person that you're speaking with. I think there's two types of sales people, and I've actually never considered myself a salesperson, but you know, fifteen years later, I've got a ton of clients and a ton of candidates who come back. So you know, there's your appointment setters who might be really forceful and lock in a meeting and the meeting might be canceled because there's been no connection. And then there's you know professionals that are actually have a conversation with someone and often it's outside you know, you build a relationship and it's outside of work, Like you know that they're going to.
Speaker 3: Korea, you know that their sons, you know, going to TEND twenty one.
Speaker 2: You know about their world, and it's those deeper connections that make the work part fun and confirm the longevity of it as well.
Speaker 1: So can you explain to our audience the longevity of those partnerships and why people keep coming back for more. Yeah, absolutely, I think we've delivered.
Speaker 3: I think we listen.
Speaker 2: You know, you've always got to really have a genuine interest on what's best for your client or your candidate. We've got obviously two sets of customers that we service. In recruitment, it's being really empathetic. It's actually got nothing to do with an outcome for yourself. It's giving them value and guiding them on what's going to be best for either their career or their business. In so many instances, our candidates, you know, then become our clients or our clients when they're.
Speaker 3: Looking become our candidates.
Speaker 2: So they come back because we're either delivered or we've been very authentic and they trust that we will always have their back.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. I love that trust is threaded through this because you've also got to trust yourself and believe in yourself to become an entrepreneur. And as we know, so many businesses fail within the first second or third year, and you've made it to the fifteen year mark, which is extraordinary. And I know from personal experience, you know there are some challenges along the highway of life when you're building a business, when you're building a team, but also you know when you're going through relationships and breakups and all of those things. What would be the biggest bit of advice you would give to other female entrepreneurs listening here today to hang in there, to know that their business can survive and thrive.
Speaker 2: It's the belief in yourself and your ability. And you can't compare yourself to others because if you listen to your critics, they're going to knock you down. So you've got to have this dogged perseverance. You've got to understand what your purpose is and what your passion is, and you've just got to go for it, and you know, set little goals each day. You've also got to be really patient, but it happens if you want it. You create your own reality and it's possible.
Speaker 1: And so what have you done to really rebuild yourself when you've been deeply challenged in business? Because we all have those moments, and you know they can spark fearing us. But if we have a mindset switch, we're able to turn them around. I mean, you know, I've got that forty five second rule where I don't want to marinate in shit, right, so it's forty five years, forty or forty five seconds, Like that's the way I go. Oh, you know, what doesn't matter if I make a mistake because I can always choose a different path. But the mistake is not a mistake. I view it as a life lesson. What is it that you do to switch your mindset to level up. I'm very lucky to have.
Speaker 2: A team that I'm very honest with and so whenever we have a challenge, I lean on my team. I lean on several mentors in my world, one of them being yourself. I have different coaches and obviously the power of a community that can support you. No one is perfect, and you also need to be prepared to unlearn what you've learned because things are forever changing, and in my personal life, I've been able to also adopt something that's for me that's outside of work, and that's kind of been my solace really, Like taking up, for example, bodybuilding in my part time has been something that's baker, that's given me that reprieve as well.
Speaker 1: Now bodybuilding for a female is something completely outside the comfort zone. How did you land there?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Look, I think in life every day I strive to be a better version of myself. And during COVID, I think a lot of us were in a really dark place. I needed to really throw myself into structure and something that had a little bit more discipline. It's a very layered kind of reason why I took up bodybuilding. Like, I've always been very fit, I've always been body conscious. I've always you know, either done running or kettle feat or you know what have you. But I also torri had I battled anorexia when I was in my adolescent years, and having this monkey on your back for such a long part of your life where you have a fear of food, I don't think anyone should live with.
Speaker 3: Any fees at all.
Speaker 2: So that was another reason why I kind of wanted to combat it, and having a really fantastic coach who I think he gets my mind.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: He's taught me that if you make really good food choices and you exercise and you train hard, then you're going to have a fantastic physique. And I think both men and women and young kids really battle with this aspect of you know, there's so much pressure to look a certain way. So it's really kind of revolutionized and transformed how I approach my world, my sleep, anxiety, and my well being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you actually won the bodybuilding competition, So just for everyone in the audience, when Alice decided that she was going to become a bodybuilder, she announced it to our Powerful Steps community and I remember everyone was cheering you on, and I do think that there are a few people thinking is she actually going to really do this? And you were so dedicated and as you say, it was like your outlet. And I remember with my husband when you had coasted that you won, we were.
Speaker 4: Like, oh my gosh, this is just.
Speaker 1: Funable because you did something completely unexpected, but you went straight to the top of your game. What was that feeling like?
Speaker 2: It was so awesome, Like you kind of almost don't believe that it's happening.
Speaker 3: You don't really believe that you're there. It's remarkable.
Speaker 2: Like maybe it's a bit unfair to wins, you know, when you're only quite new in this sport.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what you feel like, you're a bit of an impost.
Speaker 2: Bodybuilding is one of these sports where you're only as good as your worst body part.
Speaker 3: So there is constant improvement, Like you.
Speaker 2: Can never like rest to think that you've won and there's nothing to improve, you know. And that's why I think I love the sport because there's always becoming better, better and better and better at it.
Speaker 1: And so when you fuse what you're clearly passionate about, which is the bodybuilding with your business, how has that made you become a better leader of your team? Because I know you've had incredible growth and success in the last few years since you started bodybuilding. What do you think that's down to.
Speaker 2: I think it's enabled me to have better focus in terms of where I want to take the business, focus in terms of how I want to grow and what goals I want to achieve. Bodybuilding is very much about discipline and about putting the right structure in place, but also about making that happen too. So again, you're always going to have your critics. Tory like, a lot of people don't like the fact that I'm bodybuilding. There's so many people that don't understand what it gives me and how important it is to me. But I definitely feel that investing in myself in that aspect is definitely making me more happy. And when you're more happy, you're a better leader and happiness free.
Speaker 1: It is happiness, I have to say as well, since what you grow through this journey, I have watched you really expand in terms of magnetizing who you are, understanding the power of what you have to give to others, which is obviously how to ripple effect not only with yourself, but your team and your business. Now, I want to throw something else into the mix of this conversation because you're also a single mom, and I had my own business for twelve years as a single mom actually, and I know that there are struggles with work life balance. How do you juggle it all? Like, what's what's the day on a plate look like for you?
Speaker 2: I've got two boys and I've got a dog, so I've got yeah, yeah, don't forget rambo. So I'll look, my day is like an hour walk in the morning, getting the kids ready for school. Sometimes it's hitting the gym, and then it's obviously your work day. You know, we meet with a couple of clients day, maybe a couple of registrations. We obviously have you know, a lot of strategic meetings. And then it's the kids soccer. And then you know, my eldest son's a great cook, so he often cooks for the family.
Speaker 1: How old is your son to cook for the family, because that's pretty extraordinary.
Speaker 2: He's thirteen. This kid's just I don't know where he comes from. Actually he must get it from his father.
Speaker 5: I'm a not bad cook, but like he'll come home and he'll be bored and he'll just whip up like spinach and chili and chickpeas, and he'll just make a green homus, you know, like a chim cheery kind of homus for your steak.
Speaker 2: So I'm very lucky. I think there's always more you can do with your kids. Like, you know, you feel guilty when you're not with them. You feel guilty when you're not with your team. But you've just got to check in and make them aware that you know you are there for them. I am, you know, someone who takes on a lot, possibly too much, but you know, like you just want to keep improving and keep doing more.
Speaker 3: I suppose, and.
Speaker 1: What does your next powerful step look like?
Speaker 3: So I've got a few projects on the go.
Speaker 2: One is we had our first PEP Talks event on Wednesday last week, so it was the first ever event for UMP where we hosted thirty three book candidates you could say, and we had our industry panel. We had one of our fantastic clients, Chloe Quickly from Ortolan, and a fantastic designer that we've actually placed with Ortolan talk about how to master your folio. I'm so proud of my team. Without my team, Tory, I wouldn't have been able to deliver this. And I've been trying to do this for at least five ten years. We got really great feedback and we want to just keep on delivering value to our community and really, I suppose grow our local talent here in Australia.
Speaker 3: Second project I'd say would be I'm taking my boys overseas to Greece.
Speaker 2: And I know that doesn't sound like a project, but it actually is anyway.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of freaking me out more than anything.
Speaker 2: And then I suppose preparing for a competition next year for bodybuilding, there's quite a lot of physical tweaks I need to make to be able to get myself to a level where I can compete internationally.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: So you are yes in.
Speaker 1: Our community today that says they want to do something globally. And I think that that's such a powerful tool to not just think to be able to create and deliver impact for others on a global scale, but also do it with passion and purpose. So I wish you all the best with that. Now, where can we find you if we want to recruit in the creative industry? How can we get a little bit of warmth in our life? Connect with you and our team.
Speaker 2: We've got our website twitch isofdashrecruit dot com. We have our Instagram omph Underscore Recruitment.
Speaker 1: So beautiful, ol, Thank you so much for sharing the power of our story with us today and taking a powerful step. Thanks Tory, thank you for being here with me today. I trust that you enjoyed listening to yet another powerful story. Sometimes we can forget just how incredible we are as women and how important it is to support each other. I'd love for you to take a moment to review the podcast and help support the show. You can also take a screenshot of this episode and share it across your social media. Be sure to tag me so that I can give you a shout out too. I'm a true believer of women supporting women, and I look forward to connecting with you again soon. Much love, Toy