Speaker 1: Live on Sky News. This is Shari.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the program. Caleb Bond in for Sharry Marson all week, and congratulations to my colleague James McPherson, who has just got engaged. He what's coming up on the program tonight. The case against the Racial Discrimination Act. Today's judgment won't stop anti Semitism, but it does expose some hard truths that we need to face. My thoughts on this in just a moment. Plus, the list of critics against Albanese's controversial supertax grows, with ACTU boss Sally McManus slamming it today or in. Hogan will be on to discuss later. And a new study suggests that margarant mothers are more likely to give birth to sons rather than daughters. A demographer will be on to explain the impacts of this further on Now. The case against Muslim preacher Wisdom Hadad. I'm sure you've seen. The Federal court today found that he breached section eighteen C of the Racial Discrimination Act in the number of sermons that were also posted online. Now, look, I don't think that eighteen C should exist. I think it's a handbreak on free speech. And that it has on many occasions been weaponized against genuine debate in this country, just as it was against our colleague here at Sky News, Andrew Bolt, fourteen years ago. I think it was ridiculous that Pauline Hanson was found to have breached the law when she told Green Senator Marine Ferruki to pack her bags and pisce off back to Pakistan. Other successful cases include a counselor who made a joke about shooting Aboriginal people, one against the Victorian government for referring to the Macedonian language the wrong way, and now did broadcast to Howard Satler God Rest his Soul, who allowed callers to make jokes about Aboriginal people and a sacred site. Now, any right thinking person, including me, would find that kind of stuff to be offensive, insulting, humiliating or potentially intimidating, which is what eighteen C covers. But my point is that it's not the law's job to stop people from being racist, and it never will stop people from being racist, because even if they stop staying stuff openly, they'll still say it privately, and their garbage will simply go underground to places where it's harder to detect. So I want to make it clear I've always been opposed to eighteen C. I still am opposed to eighteen C. And that doesn't change because in this case, I'm more sympathetic to those who took on an Islamic preacher. Having said that, I understand why the Executive Council of Australian Jury ran this case against Hadad, first because the law is available to them, and second because things were said, in my view that could incite violence or at least justified violence at some point in time against Jews. Now, clearly the criminal law as it stands doesn't agree with me on that, and Jewish Australians were sick of watching ramp and antisemitism go on unchecked, so they launched this case. It got to the point where the criminal law hadn't dealt with anything, so they took the civil options that were available to them. Now, much of what Hadad said in his sermons business about Jews being descendants of pigs and apes, etc. Was found to be wrong in theological fact. And I've read these particular texts myself, and that is right. The Quran doesn't refer to Jews in general as descendants of pigs and apes, but refers to particular Jews who were cursed by Allah and literally turned into apes. Most of the rest of it this case I'm talking about, focused on age old anti Semitic tropes. But I would point out some interesting parts from this judgment from the Federal court. One is that the idea that Islam is not critical of Jews as people, but.
Speaker 3: The expert witnesses on Islamic theology from both sides agree that neither the Qur'an nor the Hadith teach that Jews have an inherent negative quality as a people. Ibrahim, the respondents expert said that is does not encourage hatred towards Jews. I was not called on to decide whether religious belief can ever be a justification for propagating racist, bigotry and hate.
Speaker 2: Now that may will be true, But I would then ask the question, why does some Muslims, not all, but certainly some seem to hate Jews. I mean, maybe their texts don't specifically command them to hate Jews, but I don't think you could argue that long historical conflicts between Jews and Muslims, including the one currently going on between Israel and Gaza, have been ethno religious And even with the judgment today, will it's stop anti semitism? I don't think so. The law cannot retrospectively change people's beliefs. It won't stop people from being racist, even if there are some restrictions on what they can say in public. In fact, there's a pretty good body of evidence to suggest that the more you tell people not to do or think things, particularly where religion is involved, the more they dig their heat.
Speaker 4: And you have to.
Speaker 2: Consider how we got to this point. I said this on air in February. We all know there are racist people in the world, but even most people who are racist don't feel comfortable talking publicly about how they really feel because they fear the consequences of their speech. These two clearly didn't fear the consequences of their speech. They didn't think they were doing anything wrong. And if you look around the country its synagogue's being firebombed and vandalized, and homes being attacked, and a federal government that's tiptoed around the issue for more than a year, that it's not hard to understand how they might come to that conclusion. I mean, let's be clear, anti Semitism is not new. It has existed for a long time, and we've probably imported more of it into this country. I'll get to that in the moment. But a lot of anti Semites or people with anti Semitic undertones who previously wouldn't have said anything, now feel like they can because they think their strength in numbers, and that's how you end up with cases like Hadad. He may well have thought and even been preaching stuff like this for a long time, but in the context of how things have gone in the past couple of years, he felt comfortable not only to preach that stuff at the Al Madina Duar Center, but to post it online. And Hadad has ten thousand followers on Instagram, so he has a reasonable following. What was dealt with today, of course, is the least of our worries. Hadad and the Al Madeen Duar Center have been accused of radicalizing young people.
Speaker 4: A todd Ez, you'll think you are in an Isol camp in Syria or in Irak. The materials of ISOL videos, the songs of Isols. They are aware about all this information.
Speaker 5: The leader of the center, with some Hadad also known as Abu Said, is a notorious hate preacher.
Speaker 4: Are you suggesting he radicalized them. Yes, they became extremist after they attended and Medina Dawa Centaur and been and have been exposed to the speech and the listeners.
Speaker 2: And sure Hadad has been dealt with in court today for his preachings, But what about all the people who go to his Islamic center. How many other people might be preaching these sorts of things in Australia that we don't know about Islamic preachings such as this is incompatible with Australian culture and values in our way of life. And I accept that the court today was dealing specifically with Hadad and his preachings and his interpretations of Islam. But I ask this, where was the Australian National Imam's Council today? Did they condemn her Dad? No, they said nothing. The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils said nothing today. The Lebanese Muslim Association so said nothing today. All of those organizations have previously been given the opportunity to condemn the preachings of Hadad and they have refused to do so. The biggest Islamic representative bodies in this country will not condemn the hate preaching of Hadad even after he's lost in court. What does that tell you? Hadad even described during the court case how shakh Shady Alissamaine, the president of the National m M's Council, was the man who took him under his wing. He told the court shake Shady taught me through Islamic scripture and lessons that the life I was living was spiritually wrong and that the people I was affiliating myself with were not living in accordance with the origins of Islam. Now I've extended the opportunity to the National Imam's Council to come on the show and condemn Hadad or explain why they think he shouldn't be condemned, and I hope they take it up. My door is open. We'll see tonight. And consider that the Almadina Duas Center is in Bankstown. This is an area where the top ancestry is Lebanese sixteen point eight percent of the population compared to two point two percent of the New South Wales population. Nearly two thirds of the population have two parents born Overseas sixty two point nine percent. Less than a fifth have two parents born in Australia. The top religion is Islam twenty five point six percent of the population, compared to four point three percent of New South Wales. The top language spoken at home other than English is Arabic twenty one point two percent compared to two point eight percent of New South Wales. Now, I'm not saying that every Muslim or every Arab who lives in Bankstown would agree with what Hadad has said, but I am saying we should be very careful about importing cultures, people from cultures and religions who may sometimes hold extremist views that are anathema to ours, and then allowing them to flourish. When you have extremeistviews and tell people they're free to express them here, then you end up with division and disharmony. And that's how this ended up in court. Well onto some of the other news of the day. It was a busy morning for the Prime Minister. He was on a media blitz and he spent most of it defending his inability to snag a meeting with Trump. Do you expect Pennywong to get you a meeting with Trump while she's at the quad?
Speaker 6: Wong's meeting is with foreign ministers. I expect her to have a meeting with her co foreign ministers.
Speaker 7: The President was actually elected last November. You've had plenty of time before our own election to actually visit him. Are you now looking at this and thinking it was a mistake to leave it this late?
Speaker 2: No? A little bit embarrassing, hasn't that pretty simple question?
Speaker 4: When are you going to meet the Donald?
Speaker 8: Look?
Speaker 6: Where we'll meet when we meet in coming months. But my priority has been on delivering for Australian.
Speaker 2: Let's bring in my panel now, Former Liberal Senator Holly Hughes. Do you feel free? Holy? Today is the first day outside of It's.
Speaker 9: Really quite liberating. Where else would I want to be?
Speaker 10: I'm here with you and with me later on.
Speaker 2: On the Late Debate, and of course is always on a Tuesday form of Speaker of the House. Bronwin Bishop, you escaped Parliament to quite some time ago, so you must be feeling nice and.
Speaker 8: Relaxed, having spent thirty years there.
Speaker 2: I think you would you have you would do for a break this business with Paul Keating getting involved in the supertax. You know that the architects only of course, of compulsory superannuation and the Prime Minister's sort of dancing around some of that stuff that the Trump stuff will get to in a minute. But he couldn't answer straight this morning what he felt about Keating's intervention.
Speaker 9: No, and I think that was just the warm art cat for Paul Keating. I think he's going to have plenty more to say, as Paul Keating is wont to do. But I think it's interesting as well that saliment Manis has now come out as well. So when you've got the head of the Unions, the architect of this superannuation scheme in its entirety, condemning a labor government over its plans and how unfair it is going to be, particularly on younger Australians, and this government is so arrogant that they're refusing to budge in any shape or form. I think says an awful lot about them.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I'll talk to Warren Hogan about a bit more about that later on the Trump stuff from one, I mean, he was basically saying this morning, Ah, you know, there'll be a meeting at some point, we'll get around to it. He doesn't even seem to be interested.
Speaker 8: He's not, And to send Penny Wong there, she may as well continue her journey and go to Beijing, because basically what is happening is that under Alberanzi, a capital s socialist, capital s socialist, he is moving us away from our traditional alliance where we are totally dependent. At the moment where he pretends to spend money on defense and lies about it, he listens to Beijing when they say, don't spend any more money on defense. We like it the way it is. That's the way he wants it. So we are in a very difficult position. He stands there and we can laugh and say, oh, how ridiculous he looks, how tongue tied, how stupid he looks. But really it's far more serious than that. Our alliance has been in solid shape for decades. We have been comrades at arms, we have fought and bled together through wars. And yet this man, with his arrogance and his lies and his socialist tendencies, wants to take away our freedoms and we'll see this country a vassal state where we pay homage. He has reduced this country to being just a farm and a mine. We are the lowest manufacturing nation in the OECD, and that is all because of this man's policies. They are socialist policies and they are destroying US.
Speaker 2: Well, you mention Penny Wong in the US. She's just gone off to Washington to meet with Kevin Rudd and of course do the Quad all the foreign ministers. I mean, you know, she's taking happy snaps there with Rada. I'm sure that makes her feel good. But as you point out, Bronwin, you know, we are at one of the lowest points we've probably ever had with the United States. So if Wong doesn't come home Holly with a meeting wind up for alban Easy with Donald Trump, there was no point of her going right, or.
Speaker 9: A tariff exemption, something else that could be discussed.
Speaker 2: That's She's in the room with Marco Rubio, look, and.
Speaker 9: He has a very close relationship with Trump. And I can't imagine Penny is going to do anything to further and dear herself to the Americans, particularly with her very weak stance and what's happened in Israel, what her performance at the UN has been like, and what Australia has voted in against the US there as well. I mean, she is not in a position to go and demand anything. And I think think it's just a continuation. Bromwin is one hundred percent right, but it's getting It's embarrassing, but it's dangerous, incredibly dangerous. From a geographic perspective, we are so isolated from the rest of the world, but strategically we're.
Speaker 10: Very important for the US.
Speaker 9: Yet they are more fixated on focusing on China and the relationship with China, and if they don't increase the defense spending or they don't make some serious overtures in that area. Again, to Bromin's point, it's just proof that the Chinese ambassadors op ed was really their new white paper for the defense.
Speaker 2: Well, in all your years in public life, Bronwin, did you ever think we would get to a point like this?
Speaker 8: No, I didn't. Then I never thought Albanese would ever be leader and elected. I just feel that we are we are rudderless with this.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately we're not ruddless. We've got run in throwing our relationship.
Speaker 10: If only we were.
Speaker 8: Ruddless, what a three albanezy wog and rug and you expect to have a good relationship with the presidents in the United States. Look, it is, as I said, it is a far more serious matter than it is being taken. People laugh and say, oh, he's running around trying to get a meeting and roadway and talk to him.
Speaker 5: And it's far.
Speaker 8: More serious than that. And I want to hear the opposition come out loudly and bulkling on this issue too, because it is vital and the American people and the President needs to know that there is a strong commitment to our alliance, that the Australian people do want to continue this strong alliance. And if there's no leadership being given anywhere, then it starts to fall apart.
Speaker 2: It's a very good point to quickly. Have had a bit of good news meet in Livestock Australia, the representative body for the red meat industry. They've dumped their net zero by twenty thirty gold because cattle farmer is a sick of being blamed for climate change because the cows built and built elch and fart too much, and so they've said we're doing away with a thirty seconds each. Holly, Finally, some common sense hasn't got People are starting to come bring on.
Speaker 9: The ribbi And luckily for you, Caleber almost mastered the burnet sauce. So next dinner party will be a cracker full of redmade test. It's so sensible.
Speaker 10: If only the.
Speaker 9: Liberal Party could get itself together and start to look at doing the same sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, this is exactly the point. Right while they're going, oh will we won't will you? I mean they still don't have any real policy agenda. You've got other people saying look knit to it doesn't work, We're going to walk away from it. Even Tony Blair says it.
Speaker 8: For evens say Australia is so far behind when it comes to these issues. The rest of the world is walking away from the idiocy of this global warming religion, and yet we are still committed. Although I see mister Bowman is now having to go back on these words and say, oh we need guests after all, isn't it amazing? So suddenly the Narrowboro guess was might take off. But the whole point of it is is that we take up technology quickly in this country somebody else's technology, but when it comes to making our own policy decisions and our own stance. By saying we are the richest blessed country with energy in the world and it is the only competitive edch we have, the only one and we're sending our own firms broke because of it. This then, seriously, we have just got to say we're going to use our own resources. And with regard to twenty fifty and net zero, I'm going home to have a good steak.
Speaker 2: Heah here. I hope I'll be doing the same when I leave tonight too, probably with a nice bottle of red. I think Ron within Bishop Holly Hughes will see you again at ten pm hear me on the late debate. Thank you to both of you. Now, if you're in Sydney on New South Wales, you don't need me to tell you. It's been cold and rainy today. But we've apparently been hit by a bond cyclone which all sounds a bit violent, but torrential run and damaging winds have puneled parts of the steak. The latest details and warnings. I'm joined now by reporter Crystal Wu who's in Woollongong Crystal. Where has been affected today by this low precious system? What sort of rainfalls have we.
Speaker 11: Seen right along the coast, Caleb, It's affected the central coast and right down here in Wollongong Jervis Bay, about three hours south of Sydney saw more than two hundred millimes of rain, but the SES has issued four emergency warnings to the Central Coast due to a coastal erosion. So many people who live near the beach have been told to evacuate. We saw massive swells along multiple beaches today. Sydney also impacted by these. Travelers have been their flights have been delayed. They're feeling very frustrated. We know twenty two flights coming out of Sydney domestically have been canceled. Thirty two coming in have also been canceled. This strong destructive winds have also damaged power lines. So there was a gum tree that fell down on a power line north of Sydney earlier today that created power outages across hundreds of homes.
Speaker 2: Here in Wollongong.
Speaker 11: It hasn't stopped raining since last night. I can feel damaging winds expected to continue right throughout the night.
Speaker 2: What should we expect for the rest of the week. Have we seen the worst of it yet?
Speaker 11: We haven't yet, Caleb. We've seen around fifty to one hundred and fifty millimeters of rain across parts of the States. Some isolated areas could see up to two hundred millimeters of rain, strong wind gusts, as you can properly see behind me, big droplets of rain, wind gusts of up to one hundred and twenty five kilometers an hour. And this is all due to a low pressure system forming along the coast. It is expected to remain active until Thursday. So until then, Caleb, residents have been told to stay at home and avoid driving through floodwaters.
Speaker 2: That's really important, Caleb, Crystal, thank you for your time. As my grandmother always says, as long as you're not in the firing line for any damage, good for the garden.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 2: I talked last night about Paul Keating's first public intervention over Labour's super Text, because he pointed out that the average worker will now be on the road to three million dollars in super and there was more this morning, this time ACTU boss Sally McManus, who agrees that the unrealized capital gains tax should be indexed over time.
Speaker 13: I do think it's got to be indexed, and because you've got to make sure eventually people don't end up there, but that's a very long time in the future. I think that asking you know, those people not to get you know, Super isn't there to be a tax fraud. It's there to make sure you've got a dignified retirement.
Speaker 2: The PM was asked about Keating's veiled message this morning. This was his lily livid response.
Speaker 6: Well, there's are very modest changes discussed where we are right, we are right. Well, good on you. You stay on Paul. I'll stay on superannuation.
Speaker 2: Because he's wrong.
Speaker 6: No, I'm talking about superannuation.
Speaker 2: With me now, as Judo Bank chief economist Warren Hogan, Warren welcome. It's a pretty weak response from the Prime Minister. He's been called out by the man who was the architect of this system. He can see that his legacy may well be destroyed here. But it's about more than just Paul Keating's legacy. He designed this for a reason. He's watching it be destroyed by his own party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think taylb there's a little bit of necessity to this. Super isn't delivering what was promised thirty odd years ago. It's proving to be a lot more expensive than we thought. It's cost as well above what the pension would have been, and that of course is what it was there to help sort of offset from this aging population we've got. And of course the real issue for the government and why they're doing this is it you know, they need money. They're spending is obviously growing rapidly, both in just growth terms as well as a share of the economy, and of course the tax burden is increasingly being borne by everyday Australian's income tax payers, and they need to find other sources of income or even take some pressure off other income payers. So this is a necessity, partly because the system isn't turning out as expected, and partly because the government's spending and they need more taxation revenue. So the issue of indexation is critical. Though it's a moral issue in my view, particularly in relation to a new tax, because as we've just seen in the last three years, inflation is hard to predict, and of course that's when you don't index it, that's what's going to determine the actual tax burden for future Australians. But when you do indexit, at least people have a sense of what they're going to have to pay because they can see or have visibility of how the tax will go up and in line with their income and inflation broadly is the idea. So there's a lot to this. It's important, but of course there's the government sticking to its guns. It's not a good tax.
Speaker 2: And this is the argument of Keating and to some degree Sally McManus as well, that if you don't index that three million dollars, which is of course what the government wants, Greens want two million, and of course they have absolute balance of power in the Senate now, so we'll keep an eye on that. But if you don't index that number, you risk eventually superannuation becoming something only for low to middle income earners. And if you get to that point, you might start to lose some political support for superannuation, which could eventually lead to the destruction of compulsory superannuation, which would hurt the balances of those small, low to middle income owners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think really what you're alluding to there is that these changes, because they're the first substantial changes to the tax benefit or the tax rate, are really opening Pandora's box on this. If my judgment is right, the tax or this supersystem isn't turning out as as promised or as expected thirty years ago, then of course, once you open Pandora's box, it's going to be at the whim of the sort of political wins of the day, and who knows. And of course what we've got to not forget and all of this is that this is one particular part of our economic life, that is saving for retirement, that is super sensitive to our expectations of the long term. You want as much certainty as possible for Australians to understand what they need to do now to get to a point in the future. And of course indexation is just one component of it. But of course chopping and changing the policy at the whim of any given parliament means that people just give up on it in terms of certainty, and that will just make Australian save more now. And whether or not that's deemed a good thing or not, we do know that that means that there'll be less money going into spending in the economy.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and of course today is the beginning of the new financial years, so that means a raft of new policies introduced by state and federal governments have come into effect. And I suppose the key change is to note are the minimum wage that's gone up three and a half percent to twenty four bucks and ninety five cents an hour, and the superannuation guarantee has gone from eleven and a half to twelve percent, which is what prompted Paul Keating to come out yesterday. But because none of this stuff happens in a vacuum, there will be ripple effects. We've had concerns, of course about inflation. What kind of difference will this make?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think the problem for me, or the problem this presents, is you're going to be putting more pressure on business costs, and that is the crunch point in the economy right now. So the three and a half wages from the Fair Work Commission, and if that's what's happening more broadly, that's not too bad. But in the context of very little productivity growth, if not productivity going backwards, that's meaning the cost for business of labor is actually higher than that, and then the souper is just another cost of business bear. And of course what we've seen in the last year is the business costs have not fallen much. They're still running around five percent or higher. But of course inflations come down at the expense of business. Margins. That is, business haven't been able to pass on these costs. So the question is are these increased costs for business in the form of higher wages and super going to be able to be passed on? And if the answer is no, that's going to hurt business profitability and eventually investment and therefore our future. Or the answer is yes, and therefore inflation is probably going to stop falling and start picking up again, and the RBA will have a thing or two to think about there. So you know, this is a critical junction for the Australian economy and these costs are going to hit businesses and they're the ones who are under pressure right now.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and of course when businesses go backward, so do's employment. Warren Hogan, thank you for joining me. Still to come, David Adler will join me to discuss the hate preacher who today was found guilty of breaching racial discrimination laws. That soon, but first the News South Wales tobacco wars, the Daily Telegraphs James Willis knows more about them than anyone else I know. He'll join me on the Dickson at the desk. Sorry next now you know as well as I that elicit tobacco's a scourge across the country thanks to the ridiculously high cigarette tax, and so the states are scrambling to do something about all these shops popping up, and I feel sorry for them. I mean, the Fed's created this problem. Of course, the states are responsible for police and the like. So in New South Wales the opposition has proposed rules to shut down dodgy shops for a month and give landlords the right to evict them. The Premier, Chris Min's told to gb yesterday he was open to tougher penalties.
Speaker 12: I had to think about it overnight and I think she makes some really good points and we'd be silly to just reject an idea because it comes from the opposition. You'd also know, Ben I would have prefer to do this, have a new regime, a tougher approach to illegal tobacco, alongside what I would regard as a common sense approach from the Commonwealth where they dropped the excise well.
Speaker 2: The Men's government announced today that they'll set up a major task force that will include police, health, fear trading, liquor and gaming, and the Department of Communities and Justice and journalist James Willis at the Daily Telegraph. He's been following these criminal tobacco gangs for a long time now, he's been breaking these exclusive stories all week and he joins me here at the desk. James, I'm glad I've got a kindred spirit in this matter because I've been banging on about it for so long and it's got to the point now where it's you know, you just can't deny there is a massive issue. Everyone can see it. So the Men's government says we'll set up this task force. What's it going to look like.
Speaker 14: Well, for the next few months they'll have a look at how the new licensing policy is working, which began today.
Speaker 10: Caleb.
Speaker 14: We've allowed up until now business is to just sell tobacco without having to apply for a license, which is.
Speaker 10: Really a dumb way of doing things.
Speaker 14: The number of tobaccosts in New South Wales or tobacco businesses.
Speaker 10: Is now at twenty thousand.
Speaker 14: It's grown by twenty five percent in the last five years. And so this is going to have a look at where the laws can be tightened. Critically, it involves police now where there is still a to and fro, and I think as much as I do feel sorry for the States, and I'm the number one supporter of police, I do wonder whether there is going to be a time when police do have to get down and dirty and get involved in this with a day to day compliance we know that the presence of police in a pub or in a venue tends to have people sort of stand up and do the right thing. There's an argument to say that that could happen here. At the moment's left up to health bureaucrats. They're doing their best, but ultimately you're dealing with criminal gangs, which at one level leads to some of the baddest people in this country and overseas.
Speaker 10: And so therefore, why wouldn't law enforcement be more involved?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess they'll have to be. And the point that Chris Mince has been trying to make is that this isn't a situation of his making. This is essentially a situation of the federal government's making. With the stupidly high tobacco tech that is now in place, and it's a dollar forty seven a cigarette or something stupid like that, right, And so it was fun to have compliance officers previously because they were able to deal with the problems that existed, Tex goes up. Problem becomes much bigger. Now they have to get the coppers in. But the coppers have much preferred to be investigating domestic violence, murder and other much more serious crimes than someone flogging a packet of cigarettes for ten dollars. But what's min supposed to do about it? He's not getting any support from the FED.
Speaker 14: Well, this is a complete failure in public policy from the Albanezi government. This problem has spiral out of control under the last few years under Mark Butler's Health Minister Jim Chalmers now has a tax which was worth sixteen billion dollars in twenty nineteen twenty twenty. And look, even if you don't smoke, you've never had a cigarette. You're saying, oh, look if people want to smoke stuff and I don't care, you should care about the tax. Jim Charmers at the moment is having a look around the cup tray and the car trying to find a dollar. This is nine or at least eight billion dollars a year we're missing out on because people aren't buying legal cigarettes. Now, if the number of people smoking had fallen off a Cliff. You'd say, well, we've won the war against big tobacco, but that's not the case. These tobaccos are the only business that are doing well in town. They're popping up on every street corner. They're selling ten dollars smokes compared to fifty or sixty dollars legal cigarettes. So no wonder people are picking the cheaper option. So you'd have to lower the excise dramatically to even get that price under control. But it has to start at the border and the government for everything. Mark Butler said about we've spent more money on compliance. It's garbage when you actually break it down, what the states get individually to help them in.
Speaker 10: This war is very little.
Speaker 2: Most of it goes to the bureaucracy.
Speaker 10: So it must start in Canberra, just very quickly.
Speaker 2: We've only got a minute. But I read a report the other day that in fact, people who smoke elicit cigarettes, I'm more likely to smoke more cigarettes. I think it's four more a day, is what the reports is. Because of course they're cheapest, so they sort of feel encouraged to do so. This would have to be one of the biggest failues of public health policy in a long time. You deal with people in and around this stuff every day. What's your feeling about why the federal government won't move.
Speaker 14: I think they are convinced that if they can run big tobacco out of town, the big guys and they will be a win and then they can deal with the rest of the market. So they've got two wars going on. One against the criminal syndicates which they largely created or helped flourish because of the excise and then you've got big tobacco, and they be happy for big tobacco to leave Australia and then deal with the rest.
Speaker 10: I mean, the problem is that just doesn't work, and so.
Speaker 2: That report is right.
Speaker 14: The other issue entirely is vapes, which has hooked kids.
Speaker 10: More than anyone else.
Speaker 14: And so you've got this whole generation of people that you know, we've just stuffed this up so badly, and as I say, it is a complete failure of public policy. Mark Butler, Anthony Albanezi, Jim Chalmers, you've got a lot to.
Speaker 2: Answer for them. Vapes another thing they refuse to regulate. Probably you know better the devil, you know, I think, James, thank you so much for joining me now more on that huge win in the Federal Court. Today we're a judge rule that a g hardy hate preacher was hadad for each racial discrimination laws and a series of sermons and lectures.
Speaker 3: The imputations include age all tropes against Jewish people that are mentally racist and anti Semitic. They make perverse generalizations against Jewish people as a group. Jews in Australia in November twenty twenty three and thereafter would experience them to be harassing and intimidating.
Speaker 2: Joining me on the desk for more. And the result is Australian Jewish Association President David Adler. David, I imagine you were pleased with this judgment today.
Speaker 15: Yes, it'd be much better than the alternative, and we are pleased that this particular type of hate preaching can't hide from the law calling on Islamic radical ideology. So from that point of view, it's good to be perfectly honest. I'm not a great fan.
Speaker 2: Of eighteen norm I talked about that at the top of the show.
Speaker 15: And I don't see it as curing anti Semitism, where we think that there are some bigger issues that need to be addressed. But here's a win. Let's bet it down and make sure that this particular brand of incitement should cease.
Speaker 2: And that was my point is that the reason as much as I don't agree with eighteen C, and in an ideal world, I don't think it would be possible to run a case like this because eighteen C wouldn't exist. But the reason this case was run is because the criminal element of the law didn't deal with what I thought were issues that could potentially lead to or were advocating for, elements of violence against Jewish people, and the parts of the judgment today.
Speaker 10: Do talk about that.
Speaker 2: That's why this case was run because seemingly the criminal law is too weak to deal with those matters.
Speaker 15: There are a couple of lessons that come out of this Caleb, and the failure to use the criminal law is a really important one. We have been very, very very disappointed by the week leadership politically on anti Semitism and frankly the failure of our law enforcement authorities, beginning on October eight, when we had Islamic preachers in the street of Sydney celebrating the massacres of Jews in Israel. October nine, at the Opera House with the riots and a number of laws were broken on both those days, and yet no consequences. And this is what's opened the opportunity for the hate preachers to be more and more emboldened. So our lessons here are that, yes, you can't hide behind the extremist religious ideology. Secondly, that the authorities have been ineffective, demonstrably ineffective.
Speaker 2: There is a lot more to be done.
Speaker 15: Alluded to incitement of violence when we hear them talk about inter Farder, that is an incitement to violence, is a violent uprising involving terrorism and the murder of Jews. No action when they chant all Zionists are terrorists. Zionism is simply recognizing the right of Jewish people to have self determination in their biblical homeland, nothing more than that. So the vast majority of Jewish people in this country a Zionists doing that sort of smear is outrageous and again no action. And the final observation that I'd make is that because eighteen C was used as the legal instrument, the consequences of very minor. All he's had to do is pulled down the offending material and promise not to do it again. We have seen in Europe, in Italy and France in particular, that if these hate preachers are foreignness, if they've got citizens, and in fact, in some cases if they're dual citizens, their centers can be closed down and they're deported, and that is the sort of action that we.
Speaker 2: Need in Australia.
Speaker 15: It is a big deal, and I'm not smearing all Muslims, of course, but we have to recognize and have a discussion concerning immigration policy the sort of people we want in this country. These are discussions which have been avoided. And if you look at the census data over the last few decades, the growth rate of the Muslim population is four times the general population. And we have been importing people from Gaza in their thousands, which is an area that is substantially inspire the Muslim brotherhood. So all these big issues are being ignored. We welcome the win today, it's important, but we want our authorities, to our political leadership to deal with the really big problems.
Speaker 2: Indeed, David Adler, thank you so much for joining me tonight. Coming up after the break, a demographer will unpack this interesting new study on why Margaret mothers are giving birth to more boys than girls. And the answer will shock you. He'll be with me soon, Mark McCrindle coming up and I'll discuss all things defense with my panel GXO Strategies Director Cameron Milner and former Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee Chair Michael Danby. Don't go away, Let's jump straight into it with my next panel, GXO Strategies Director Cameron Milner and the former chair of Parliament's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Michael Danby. Jans welcome shocking reports coming out today that Defense Minister Richard Marles has been left out of the loop on formal updates on Australia's military readiness for two and a half years. I mean the AFR reports that escape Order to General's report found that in twenty twenty three and twenty four Defense stopped giving Marles six monthly preparedness reports that outlined what units and platforms such as ships, submarines and aircraft were ready to be deployed into conflict or natural disaster zone. So, Cameron, if they're not keeping the Defense Minister up to date on this stuff, A, you'd have to ask why. But B surely it underlines the point that if we were, for whatever reason to end up in a conflict that unfortunately were stuffed.
Speaker 16: Well that's right, what a disgrace, when absolute disgrace. The Defense Minister wasn't being told and didn't even think to ask. Caleb didn't think to ask for where the six month report was. Look, the reality is that Males is a defense diletant.
Speaker 2: This is bloke.
Speaker 16: He used raft jets as an uber service to get him home in time. From camera, he packs his golf clubs and gets raft people to put them on the plane when he goes overseas. I mean, defense is not Richard Marles strong suit. And it shows and the defense establishment knows that too. The whole thing with this alberdis government, Caleb, the Alberti's government wants dialogue over direct hits on Aram's n clear facilities. They want fillerbusters rather than Trump's bunker busters. I meant this labor party is all over the shop on defense, all over all over the shop on defense, Caleb, and it just shows and reports like this are going to be one of many I suspect with what's happening with his labor administration.
Speaker 2: You're on fire tonight, Cameron, Michael. What does it say about the relationship between the minister and the department.
Speaker 17: Well, first of all, at Echo Cameron's point, this is a dereliction of duty by the Defense Minister himself, you know, going off and playing golf. You know, he was known the right of the Labor Party as being lazy. But this is even beyond that. We need a general raising Cane like Trump got himself after Caine destroyed Isis. One of the worst decisions Miles made was to reappoint all of those military dilettants who've got us no equipment, no missiles, have stripped out the core of the defense forces in order to pay for the subs. I mean, Israel spends more on defense in one year than we do with a country population a third of our size. I mean it's and we have no bank for the buck like they do. So I just think it's hopeless, hopeless minister, hopeless military leadership.
Speaker 2: They should all go well, that would be helpful, but it's not going to happen, unfortunately, Michael. There are also concerns that Australia may miss out on critical missiles from the US, obviously due to Alberanezi's refusal to boost spending the hours for three and a half percent. We're not coming to the table on that because the White House still needs to approve a seven billion dollar order we made last year, and sources have told the odds that they could be redirected to countries who are willing to play ball. I mean, Michael, we're just doing this to ourselves. It's insane.
Speaker 17: If you watch that very emotional press conference that Trump had NATO, you would have seen the Polish Ukrainian journalists leading from Kiev to get Patriot missiles. Now they're going to go ahead of the queue in front of us. They're willing to pay for them. They're willing to pay for their defense. We just can't stick with this some you know, we'll pay for the subs on them never never, And what we do is strip back and cut back, you know, mind sweepers. The Chinese don't have to be geniuses. They just have to read the media to note that all of our defense bases are naked. We have no air defense thanks to the dilettants in the military leadership. And our dilettant minister and his predecessor was as bad too, so I should be fed him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that that's correct. And speaking of China, their ambassador, of course to Australia, intervened in our national security this week wrote in the OS that against Canberra boosting the defense spending, and Cameron, You've written a brilliant piece in The Nightly saying that Albanesi was already doing exactly what China needed. Now he'll have to react in the opposite direction to say any face. But what's the likelihood of that, Gameran, Well, let's see.
Speaker 16: I mean, what a shocking situation where you have a Chinese ambassador telling weak albow to make Australia even weaker in.
Speaker 2: His likeness so to speak.
Speaker 16: No, I think this will have the opposite reaction. I mean, Albo and one were doing their very best to shred our relationship with the US, shred our relationship with Trump and our allies like Israel and the UK, all by their lonesome, but by China calling for us to be even weaker again, I think Australians will actually have a wake up moment and actually say, hang on a moment, Albo, why would we be backing in China over our allies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good point and we've run out of time unfortunately. But there was a great piece in the OS from Henry Ergus talking about defense spending between Australia and Israel, and it turns out that between twenty twenty and twenty twenty three Australia spent fifty billion dollars more than Israel did. And yet I don't think you could argue that we could achieve a fraction of what Israel has been able to achieve in the last couple of years. Actually, it tells you everything about where we are. Cameron, Michael, thank you so much for your time, both of you. All right, coming up after the break, Hold, take a look at that new study which is suggesting that migrant women are aborting daughters at higher rates than sons. Demographer Mark McCrindle will be with me next. Really interesting piece in the odds this morning about how Chinese, Indian and Lebanese immigrants in Australia are having more sons than daughters who study from Edith Cown University suggests that women from these countries were more likely to abort girls, possibly over cultural differences which places higher value on having sons. It says, quote Indian and Chinese mothers had much higher induced abortion rates and early pregnancy than their Australian counterparts, which coincided with the introduction of non invasive prenatal testing. Joining me now demographer Mark krindle Mark. They found that for people born in Australia, the UK, New Zealand, the birth rate was around one hundred and five boys for every hundred girls, But for Indians it goes to one hundred and nine boys for the second child, one hundred and eighteen for the third, one hundred and fifteen for the fourth. Chinese have one hundred and fifteen for the third, one hundred and eleven for the fourth, Lebanese have one hundred and sixteen boys for every hundred girls for the fourth. This is really worrying the idea that this sort of sex selective abortion, which we know goes on overseas, is going on here in Australia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the inference made through this data. And we know from fifty years of analyzing Australian birth data those sex ratios of babies born it sticks at one hundred and five boys for every one hundred girls born. That's, in fact, just to show how little it changes. The lowest in fifty years got to one oh four point nine and the highest is one oh six, so it hardly changes out of that one oh five ratio, and anything much beyond that shows that there's other factors at play. And we know that on the global data, the ratio of boys to girls born in China currently is one hundred and eleven, in India at t one hundred and nine for every hundred girls, and by the way, in India nineteen seventy, before there was the technologies for sex determining and before there was legal abortion, it was one hundred and five. So anything beyond one hundred and five or much more shows something going on in the fact that this peer reviewed published paper in the Global Public Health Journal of the Review of two point two million berths in New South Wales and WA for twenty years, all of the births pretty much in those two states over twenty years, shows that based on the birth country of mother, you get some of these ratios blowing out. Should cause us to have a deeper look at what's going on well.
Speaker 2: Study also sees this study provides is quoting from the study provides the most compelling observational evidence to date of mail by six ratio at birth among overseas born mothers, which appears to be attributed to prenatal six determination followed by a selective abortion of females, which is what we're talking about. And if you follow this to its logical conclusion, what does it mean for the demography of Australia. You end up with far more men than you do women.
Speaker 5: Well exactly, and we see that large at a global level. At a country level, you've got the missing millions in China and India as well, and the social problems, but just of course the basic moral outrage that you can have a society and large proportions say we value boys more than girls. We meen need to make it clear at Australia that baby girls are as valued and have all the rights of protections as baby boys, and that needs to be made very clear. And even with the new South Wales Abortion Law Reform Act of twenty nineteen that increased access to abortions, it makes it explicitly clear that abortion should not be performed solely on the basis of sex selections, so as well.
Speaker 2: It should be And I just can't believe that this is going on at the rate obviously as we've run at a time macro quindled thank you for joining me, And here's Paul Murray, hopefully with a bit of slim dusty again tonight.