Speaker 1: Appoche production.
Speaker 2: There's growing community anger over Queensland's youth crime crisis after a woman was held at knife point in her own Teens have been arrested following a dangerous chase in a stolen car.
Speaker 1: Queensland's youth crime crisis has reached new highs this river the arrest Good morning.
Speaker 2: A woman has been killed in a horrifying home invasion in Brisbane's North.
Speaker 3: I think we both like rushed to the door and opened up the bedroom door, and yeah, there was this guy sort of standing right in front of the bedroom door. And then you don't really think about what you're doing. You act on impulse, I think, and you know, you just sort of remember trying to get the one who's immediately by the door like out of the house. And there was a bit of a scuffle by the door, and.
Speaker 2: Then forty one year old Emma Lovell was allegedly stabbed while fighting off her attackers who broke into her property at North Lakes.
Speaker 3: She was like this, you know, she'd moved a bit, but she was on in front of me, like laying on the floor with her back to me, you know, you know, and it was a shop to like see her there because it's like, you know, second ago, she was like standing up standing in front of me there and next thing she's lay on the floor and like, I think I've got my phone in casey come back with the phone, and you know, she was like the mummy's bleeding.
Speaker 4: And they say that a scuffle broke out at the front of the property and both that man and woman have sustained injuries. The woman, Emma Lovell's injuries so severe that specialist paramedics could not save her.
Speaker 1: For me working and coming from the police, there is massive gaps in the system in relation to kids that sit at the pinnacle of the system.
Speaker 5: Go and round the ball up and lock them up.
Speaker 4: Everybody hopes the government will do something about it.
Speaker 1: Youth bar laws are the strongest in the nation.
Speaker 5: I just met a bad crowd. They gave me a taste for it. The youngest was probably fourteen or fifteen.
Speaker 1: Young people require a consolidated community effort and everyone plays a role. Parents, gear givers services, neighbors, sporting clubs, groups, random person walking down the street.
Speaker 3: I suppose, yeah, community programs, but again it comes down to like you know, you can't put on the government and the wider community failings of a child. To a certain extent, these kids making choices to do what they're doing.
Speaker 5: At this point, I was using ice. I would buy bigger quantities of ice and sell it to friends of friends. During the day, they'd lays around and smoke pot all day, and then at night they go out and do what's called a creep or a search.
Speaker 6: Enemy of I think what a good youth justice program can be lived experience has a cool factor that kids want to engage with as his inspirational factor of that person who's may one time and this is what he's done.
Speaker 3: Until people get locked up and have some sort of consequence the action, nothing is going to change because at the moment people see that they can rob a cart, maybe get locked up, but they'll be out tomorrow for it, or there's some way of putting a consequence to what they're doing. I don't think this is ever going to change.
Speaker 1: The challenge at the moment here in Queensland and the gap that I identify, young person commits offense, Young person goes to court for the offense. But that process between committing the offense and going to court is months, and during that period of time, that's when the majority of offending takes place. I've been caught, so I'll just go all out, and the seriousness of offenses rises, the.
Speaker 3: Grass on the ground, on the brown behind your back.
Speaker 1: Who's to blame, my honest opinion, not the police, not government services, not the young people. I go back to our puzzle piece analogy. You know, I think everyone plays a role.
Speaker 6: Everyone is to blame, and no one's to blame because every day there's an opportunity for an adult to see a young person in a different light and provide them with that pathway to being a good human. And every day there's a choice of that young person to be a good human and to feel like they have an opportunity.
Speaker 1: I just think that the community values have changed a lot, you know. It's where we're so accustomed these days to seeing a young person in need and stepping back as opposed to stepping forward. A lot of the issues that could be affected proactively with a lot of young people were identified many years ago before they stabbed people, before they broke into a home, before they broke into a car. But we turned our blind eye. We turned the blind eye when they were at school and got suspended for the first time. We turned the blind eye when we saw the neighbors arguing and yelling and just thought that it wasn't our business. We turned the blind eye where we saw the kid walking down the street with no shoes on and just thought, oh, oh, that's horrible. I'll tell my friends at dinner tonight.
Speaker 3: You're almost going to get people commit crimes. I don't think you're ever going to get away from that. But like, if you can just help people from a younger age, you know, like maybe they can be identified or whatever, then maybe they can help be supported and you know, guide did better.
Speaker 1: Like we've got a boy sitting here in the studio. I mean he's here because you know, two days ago his house was shot up. He's got nowhere to go.
Speaker 3: It's such a complex issue, Like it's not just a one size fits all, like responds to answer, I understand people need help, but I also can't get away from people being locked up. If you're murdering people, you just think, in my view, and I've never changed that, you've got to be punished for that. So who's to blame? A youth crime crisis Coming Monday, August twenty six,