Speaker 1: I get a team Patrick and Craig Harper reporting in for Judy. I'm not sure who Judy is. She's not here, neither is Tiff, so it's just us too. And you're already shaking your head at my terrible sense of humor. Straight off the.
Speaker 2: Bat, I'm the one sitting here with a dog on my lap, so you could at least say Fritz is here with this as well. He's not well.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it was, if we were telling, I would say hello. But I've said hello to him already. But Fritz is Fritz is bigger than I thought. Fritz is sitting on Patrick's lap. Fritz, of course is that's going to say something silly. But of course he's your dog, who is a shnout.
Speaker 2: He said, he's bigger than you thought. You've met him so many times.
Speaker 1: By no, but he just I always think he's like little Maltese terrier size, but he's not. He's like double that. And he's got a big fucking scone too. But there's a lot of hair hanging off it. The opposite, it looks like one of those old guys. It sits up in the stalls in the Muppets, you know, those two old dudes. He does look like one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got epic eyebrows and a beard.
Speaker 1: It does. Indeed. How I am house things up in the rural confines.
Speaker 2: Well, I've taken my first break in sixteen years in January, so I'm kind of just at the tail end of a break. I've done lots of stuff, just hanging with friends. I got a projector over the Black Friday sales a little while ago, and you know, you take a bit of a gamble on those sales, you know, the half priced sales, and I thought, you know what, I want to buy a projector so I can project it on the wall and watch movies with my friends. John Wick and all that sort of stuff, you know, bigger stuff.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have picked you as a John Wick man. I love John Wick.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too. We're up. We're I've got a couple of friends who bring their dogs as well, and we're going to watch John Wick four tonight. We're up to number four. But I took a hunt and bought a Chinese projector. Don't ask me what it's called the brand, because I can't pronounce it. And it ended up for a really inexpensive amount of money. I got this really great projector. I was very surprised. Okay, so here's the problem with what you just said. I didn't tell you what brand is because I can't rememe what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you're the tech guy and you come on and you go, I got this great product. I can't tell you the name. I mean, bad, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, true. I could have researched it first and jumped on. But I didn't realize I was talking about my projector until like this very second, until.
Speaker 1: You started talking about your projector. That was kind of on me when hey, when you say projector, So this is just to play. So this is not where you can project Free to Wear TV up on the wall.
Speaker 2: This is you can Well, I don't watch Free to Wear TV. I'm watched in twenty years. But I can plug in my Google Chrome cast and you know, I can watch streaming services and stuff like that. You can watch ABC, I view and all. I mean, these days you don't really need to watch freedom are do? You? Just kind of really so that ABC what the.
Speaker 1: What the kids called traditional media or mainstream media. It's kind of kind of dying a little bit, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The key point is that the kids don't call traditional media. It's the oldies that call traditional media. Is it the kids are streaming because the kids don't watch television.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're the oldies. I think it's the ones in the middle, because my folks are definitely not calling it traditional media. They're just calling it the telly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: True. Now it's funny, isn't it. You know? I wonder what the landscape is going to look like in ten years time because the likes of radio and TV. I mean, no one wants to watch ads anymore. A movie that's broken up into one hundred pieces. Can you imagine watching a movie and they're having to take a break every ten minutes?
Speaker 1: Well, and even like, even if there is something on the telly that I want to watch, I record it and then watch it later.
Speaker 2: And then can you just skip past?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you skipped the ads?
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you watch your one hour of There's a show on Channel ten on Monday nights called Mattlock, which is actually quite a good show. It's got I think it's Kathy Bates, remember that lady from Misery. Speaking of good movies, she's in it, and she's great, and it's great. It's a really good show. It's just, you know, one of those things where you don't have to overly focus and you just put your brain on the coffee table for an hour and just relax and it's good. It's just entertainment. But if you watch it without the ads, it's like thirty eight to forty minutes versus and like, who on earth would go? You know what, I want to look at ads for twenty minutes and you don't, you know, I'm with you. I wonder what. I wonder what the media landscape will look like in ten years, because at the moment, like twelve months is a long time, like it's evolving rapidly.
Speaker 2: It is constantly, and you know, you know that. I'm a big doptor of VR. I love having my Virtual reality headset on and you know, you can put on. It's funny. I've got this projector, which is great that projects onto a screen, but I've also got a VR headset. If I'm by myself, I'll just put the VR headset on and I've got the biggest screen you'll ever see, you know, like sitting at a drive in theater anyone knows about anymore.
Speaker 1: I wonder what that is. I wonder what when you've got those VR goggles on and you're watching a movie with goggles on, I wonder what that is the equivalent of in terms of dimensions of screen, if you were, say, sitting on a couch fifteen feet from a wall or ten feet from a wall. Bit like one hundred inch TV, I reckon.
Speaker 2: Two hundred easily. Really well, you can scale it so you can choose how big you want it to be. You can be in a virtual lounges, lounge room, or a virtual cinema. You can even choose what sort of cinema, So if you want an art deco cinema as opposed to the bridge of the Starship Enterprise, you can choose whatever you know your environment is, and then also choose the size of the screen. It's pretty amazing. But you know what's going to be really funny, and you'll see this. You do a lot more plane travel than I do. Have you ever seen anybody wearing a headset on an aeroplane now like they are and doing VR and gaming?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah. The guy sitting next to me on the way to Brisbane who was watching porn. That didn't work out well anyway.
Speaker 2: Did I say something that's the biggest and most snobby thing that you'd ever imagine. Well, of course, quite often on a plane I put headsets on that I actually listen to anything. I just have the headset on because then people don't talk to you.
Speaker 1: That is, that is Why are you like that? You're a very chatty kathy? Why why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Because I sometimes just need space. But when you're stuck next to somebody for in an ordinate amount of time, particularly if you know them, No I'm kidding, no, But if you're stuck on a plane and you get you know, you get into those conversations and sometimes I just need space just to meditate or you know, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been asked. I mean I've had a lot of flights, but I've been asked, I don't know a hundred times, what do you do you know? As in And usually it's a dude, to be honest, not many. I don't know why that is. I mean I've been asked by women. But you know, when you're just sitting end up chatting neck sitting next to someone and chatting about not much, and they're like, what do you do? I don't really know what's tell them, but I reckon. At least twenty times I've said, what do you think I do? What's your best guess? Everyone comes military or policeman.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute. So really that's what people ask you when you're in first class.
Speaker 1: You're an idiot. I'm up the back, I'm up the bloody cheaps. I used to I tell you what. My first couple of trips, I went to the States when smoking was still allowed up the back of the plane because clearly, you know, once you go from row twenty where there's no smoking, to row twenty one, where there is smoking, there's a magical smoke exclusion screen, and that smoke couldn't possibly transfer to the row in front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we were kids, my first trip overseas was to go to Malta with my mum, and mum took us over there and we're flying on an Ala Talia jet and I reckon. It took a lot of work to get that plane up in the sky. It was really screaming its lungsid really and we were in the row that separated us from smoking. We passive smoked the entire trip of the.
Speaker 1: Age of ten. By the time you got to Europe, you had lung cancer. I want to ask you one question before we jump into your list. The other day I was at I don't know JB Hi Fi. I think it was buying some shit and there was one hundred inch TV and I'm thinking, yeah, this is just like stupid now. And also it seems to me inefficient to be building screens that big, and to like, I think that actual physical TVs the way that we have them as in screens are going to be redundant, and that there will be I don't know, almost like I picture some kind of fine almost thin like almost paper thin, or a little like a little bit like one or two millimeters that will just sit up on the wall rather than a big physical screen that's like two centimeters thick. Or if they refine the projection thing to a point where you know that what do you call it the clarity?
Speaker 2: What do we call that? The resolution? Is you know, comparable to Oh, it is there? No, it's absolutely there. That The issue with projectors and screens has always been the ambient light that's in the room. But you can now get and exactly what you're talking about. So projector at one end, but you have a not a filament, but you've got a very thin screen that sticks to the wall. But it's got micro lenses on the front of it. And so the way it works is ambient light gets reflected away and the actual projector light gets bounced straight in front of you. So when you think about it in those terms, it makes the screen look fully clear, fully bright high rears, but the ambient light around coming from windows and everywhere else is reflected elsewhere, so it makes it look like a normal TV. So you pay a lot for those sorts of screens. They're not just a cheap fabric you've gone down to spotlight or you know, or just normal paint. But they do reflect in a certain way to take the ambient light away and only have the direct light from the projector pointing at you.
Speaker 1: Hmm, I reckon. In the not too distant future, children we like, hey, have a look at this this, have a look at this picture or this image. That's called a television. They used to have those, how fuck an archaic, these big clunky things hanging on a wall.
Speaker 2: But the one hundred inch that you were talking about these days. What staggers me is remember the old plasmas where you'd cripple yourself trying to get it up onto.
Speaker 1: A wall or oh yeah, you're so.
Speaker 2: Heavy, and now they almost are paper thing. There was I think it might have been LG. I don't want to go into the do too much detail because it might not have been, but I think it was LG came up with a roll up screen and it came up. It was a rectangle. It looked just like a little box that's sat on the ground, and then this came up behind it and rolled up. So you know, screens have got amazingly thin. The resolution's fantastic, they look brilliant, and blacks are true black. So that's always been the test of a good screen, whether a black is a true black color or a kind of a gray or a deep gray, and that makes a lot of difference for the depth perception and how it really looks. But I know I've talked about this many times, and you can do it with my current VR headset. But my vision for watching stuff, particularly if you're by yourself, is to be wearing your normal glasses and have the screen hovering in front of you. Because it's projected onto the glasses that you're wearing, augmented reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I don't want to take a dark turn with this, but this is I just found this tragic and sad and interesting. So do you remember, very recently as we record, I guess it would be a week ago or less, what happened in New Orleans in the French Quarter with you don't watch the news, but there was so there was a guy who rented an F one fifty truck who just drove into a crowd of people mate and and killed all these people and hurt all these people, like absolutely tragic and terrible. Did you hear about that at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so but do you know they so obviously after that and I think he was shot dead, but then they did all this, you know, digging into who he was and his motivation and affiliation and all of this. And do you know how he did his recon like he did his he went and did his planning and scoping out and he had some of those glasses. I had won't so which brand because I might get it wrong, so but obviously it's not the but yes, he had those video glasses where he just walked through the area that he was going to commit this heinous crime, and so he didn't have to walk through vi per se overtly, and he walked through with these glasses on, took all this footage or this video footage of where he was to check out where all the bollards and barriers and so he could do the most damage. And yeah, he actually used those glasses that we've talked talked about quite recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I was playing around with a VR, like using Google street View and immersing myself and moving around and I was checking out. I think I did a tour of Rome in virtual reality which was pretty amazing. And I went to Bath in the UK. What of the revisits and places using this new mapping software that uses basically a combination of Google street View but also the aerial View where it creates the mapped buildings that are actually in full three D so you can navigate through and move in VR right through the buildings. I went through Melbourne, you know, just to look at how good it was, and it is. It's phenomenal. And this is an isolated incident. You can use any tool. It's like that four wheel drive that SUV. If the other person on the road is driving it sensibly and doing the right thing. Anything can be turned into a weapon and weaponize I see what you're saying, and yes, recon is very very different. You know, you could jump onto Microsoft Flight simulator and fly anywhere in the world to any airport and become proficient in flying any sort of aircraft. You know, that's the reality these days that you know, hopefully we'll never see something like nine to eleven, but the reality of it is that you don't really need to leave your home to get that experience of being either virtually in an environment or training on a plane on.
Speaker 1: Which is why we're seeing, among many other developments and evolutions in the military space, we're seeing drones being used more and more as weapons and as you know, mechanisms for inflicting damage or you know. So all right, let's get up gone.
Speaker 2: Just you're talking about drones. I'm really excited. I'm not sure how much I should say about this because he's working for the for the federal government and working for the Defense Force. But one of my best mates is an aerospace engineer and he'll be working on the Australian Government's brought some drones for just reconnaissance and flying our coastline because we've got a bloody big island. Actually it's not an island though, Is it an island or a continent? I think we're a continent, not an island.
Speaker 1: Both.
Speaker 2: We're both. Yeah, well, I mean we are an islands. We're surrounded by water. But because coastline, the government's got these American drones that can fly. They have an amazing range. But you know what was really interesting is the pilots are in Adelaide and they fly out of Darwin.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean they could the pilots could be anywhere, couldn't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That does my head in. That's pretty amazing. But you're also talking about, you know, spy versus spy stuff. And one of the interesting things blew my mind is you know when you buy a USB cable that you connect to charge your phone. Yet hackers can now put tech into you can buy cables that have a little transmitter and can hack into your phone via the cable. I couldn't believe this when I saw this. A USB cable that actually hides malicious hardware that's built into the cable like a little mini transmitter. It's got all the technology is actually built in to that little tiny, tiny, tiny cable, and that hackers are now using them. I mean this came out the original ones came out in two thousand and eight, but of course they were clunky and bigger. But now they've got them down to a point where you can't tell, and some companies are having to buy tech to scan the cables to make sure that they're safe. And I guess the story. Yeah, So the story behind that is that you should always buy cables and things from a reputable reseller. And one of the things people may not realize, age you realize, is if you buy a cheap USB cable and they're not all the same. Some of them are designed just for charging, but not all of them are designed for data transfer. So have you ever had a cable where you've plugged it in if the phone says it's not charging properly.
Speaker 1: No, But my issue just quickly with those USB cables that you use to charge your iPhone and the like. If you get a shit one, like a six dollar one, or even some of the better ones that you buy, allegedly the ones with the plastic coating, they break.
Speaker 2: I like them. The ones with the material around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I like that. I buy those now as well. So yeah, no, I didn't know that. I didn't know that. I can I bring in one topic, that's I I see there's all this shit going on that I don't know that. You know that it's going on because you don't watch Telly.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's right. The whole world's going to come to an endgoing fellas. Why what just because I watched criticism that I don't television.
Speaker 1: It's not a criticism, it's well but in the sand. If you only pay attention to certain sources, then you won't get some information. If I'm with you, I listened to you, Okay, I'll be fucking hell. Don't make me come over there. I'll give you. I'm going to be your news source.
Speaker 2: So have you heard?
Speaker 1: No, I thought you would be fascinated by this, all the drone sightings over New Jersey in the last couple of months.
Speaker 2: Surely you've got on my feet anything to do with like drones.
Speaker 1: UF. Of course we've got that. They had all these things in the sky, the size of SUVs.
Speaker 2: Could they tell what they I don't think they could tell what size they were, but they droned.
Speaker 1: They definitely could because they had Yeah. I mean I listened to three hours of this on Rogan with a guy who spoke about all this. It's like, oh my god, you would have loved it.
Speaker 2: I did. I saw parts of it. I mean, because people were getting parents at one point and trying to shoot them down, and it was over the top. It was pretty pretty big stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you think do you think there's any chance that, like what, did you believe in the potential of life on other planets and technology from other planets? Not yes or no, there is, but do you believe it's possible? I would say undoubtedly.
Speaker 2: Life on other planets would have to be in some way, shape or form. So we're talking a mebur or something like that, the chemicals that all the things that come together to make life.
Speaker 1: Asking I'm asking intelligence, Well.
Speaker 2: I mean it's you could probably ask the same question about the ask right now in this room of us. No. No intelligence, I'm not sure life. Yes intelligence. The thing is, if there was intelligence, the problem we're going to face is the distance, the tyranny of distance. I have relatives that won't even fly from Europe to Australia. Yeah, let alone you know, an alien visiting the Earth from you know, twenty light years away, it's too far. The problem is the distance. So unless they've been able to overcome that using wormholes or some sort of quantum you know, a way to do it, I don't know, but i'd like to think that there were I certainly don't have a problem with knowing, with thinking that there's life on other planets. It's just, you know, do aliens visit us? How the hell are they going to get there? But we don't know what we don't know. And that's the thing. You know. We think we're knowledgeable, and you're smart. You know a lot about you know, giving what your degrees, you understand a lot about human human beings and how they think and their perceptions. But you don't know what you don't know. And so is it possible? Yeah, of course it's possible. Do I believe it? Do I believe it? I'd like to believe it. I want to believe the A poster that I used to have in my office because Fox Molder had one in his Remember the X Files. I love that.
Speaker 4: I love this well, yeah, I love Scully, love Molder. But I think also the thing is I think The thing is with trying to you know, if you had to ask me twenty years ago, I would have went absolutely no and then.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying now absolutely yes. I just don't know. And I think the thing is that anything that we don't understand has the potential to scare us. And I think most people are scared of certain things that they can't understand. And also, you are right when we don't know what we don't know. So when you and I you go the tyranny of distance and all of that, we got like, yeah, with our understanding of distance and our understanding of you know, what we call physics and science and measurement, like oh, the speed of light and the speed of sound and oh yeah, but you can only travel this far. Yeah, no, we can only travel that. It's like, well, we're talking about our version of reality and our version of physics and science. And there's a guy called I think he's Captain Andy Fraber, who was a US Air Force pilot and he's encountered lots of and he's legit straight up, and he didn't want to talk. He's like this very reluctant commentator on UFOs and he talks about seeing things that were on the radar and things that he could see both on the radar and with his eyes and then instantly gone, like there was no acceleration and travel so to speak. It was just instantly somewhere else, you know. And also these things where as you would understand better than me, he's looking at them and there's no heat signature, like there's no apparent energy source. That's familiar to us because energy, you know, when energy is being used, heat as being produced, you know, So they're looking at these things which detect heat, and there was no heat, but there was energy, you know, So that makes no sense to us. So I mean, I don't fucking know, and you don't know, but I'm I'm more curious than I've ever been.
Speaker 2: It's good. That's that's good. Curiosity is what fuels and what has fueled invention, hasn't it. It's the mother of all invention. And actually, you know, they don't call them UFOs anhim or do they. They call them UAPs Unidentified anomalous phenomenon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, I think I think that's because it's more digestible for the public, that's right, because the public straight away goes flying sources and all right, mate, I'll get out of your road. Off you go.
Speaker 2: Well, because you know, it made me think a lot about when you were chatting about what we don't know, quantum teleportation. Okay, So quantum teleportation. If you heard the buzz about that at the moment, and you have you got any idea what it means and what it could mean.
Speaker 1: Well, I know what teleportation is because I watched Star Trek.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly the wrong thing. Isn't that funny because it's badly named, because yes, everyone thinks of Star Trek teliportation. So quantum teleportation, and this is the term they're using, is basically two quantum particles because they know that there are basically you've got particles that can be linked, but they're over vast distances. And not only this is not just theoretical, now this has been practiced. China is actually working really hard on this because what you can do is you can have two link particles and you can transmit information, but they're not transmitted in the usual way that they can be intercepted. Okay, so what they're saying is that you transfer that information from me to you. But they know that they can link these particles, say over a thousand kilometers, and it's been proven they can have cryptography communication, any sort of transfer of data doesn't actually go from A to B because the particles react in the same way. And they don't exactly know why they're quantum linked, but they know one moves the other one moves in an identical way over a vast distance. They don't know how it works, but it's provable, and it's something and it sounds like sci fi, but it's actually happening. And so what they're saying is now that an electron or a particle like a photon or an electron can be linked over a vast distance, which means you can we can be having a cryptographic conversation that no one else can can can kind of listen in on because no physical transmission between A and B because the linked particles are resonating in the same way. It kind of does my head in a little bit. And they say, anybody who says they understand quantum physics doesn't understand quantum physics.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's yeah, yeah, exactly exactly. And I had a guy on, Professor Ami Goswami, who's this gene older American Indian, and by Indian, I mean the continent of India. It's like this spiritual physics, like this intersection of spirituality in academia and research. And he was trying to explain quantum computing and I'm like, I'm out, I'm out. You know, it's like, who understands any of that? But it's didn't they They said recently that because quantumputers exist, but like only in like prototypes and all of that, but they can solve problems in literally a minute or two that would take you know, like thousands of years for our best current computers. Maybe a've new time with that, but yeah, who knows. Who knows.
Speaker 2: The big hope for quantum computing is that they can process models of things like how drugs will react in the body and potentially be able to produce new drugs where they can kind of keep anticipating what the particle interactions would be, what the chemical interactions would be, and what would take as you say, what would take normal computers hundreds or thousands of years, they can do instantly. It does do your head in and you've just got to take it on faith. Reality. Yeah, I don't know, it's pretty full on, but it's exciting. And look the fact that I think in China they've beamed or they've had quantum linked particles twelve hundred kilometers away. So this one particle is on a satellite and one particle was in the laboratory in China and they were able to prove that they were quantum linked. And that's something this distance so far.
Speaker 1: Sorry, mate, I was going to say, I'm looking at your list. I want to know how I can get a green light every time. I want to know how I can get a faster trip to mom and dads.
Speaker 2: Isn't that interesting? Because this was on the drive website and I was having a bit of a look at it. And it's not overtly scientific when I mean, we're not talking about, you know, any technology that you need, because you know, it's so frustrating when you get that red light, you get to the next intersection, another red light, and sometimes you see people kind of you know, speeding up or slowing down or whatever it happens to be. But and this guy, Chris Miller, who's from the Department of Transport in Victoria, he said, look, the best thing that you can do. It's called a green wave and he said, there's no way to make the light go green faster, but if you're so, because the lights aren't in the same sequence all the time, and what they tend to do is they follow the flow of traffic. So if you keep in the normal speed limits and everybody else is doing the same thing, the lights will actually try to anticipate what they call a green wave, because they're a lot smarter than we give credit for. It's not just a cycle where it's s it stays on for one minute, changes, then the other light goes on for another minute. It doesn't work that way. It looks at flow of traffic. There's a lot more intelligence behind how traffic lights work. So rather than speeding up, if you just keep to the speed limit and you stay within a group of cars, you're more likely to get what he's calling the green wave just by doing the right thing, going by the speed limit, and then you can catch that green wave as you approach the intersection. The other interesting thing is if you happen to be driving at night and there are no cars around, and you just go to the line and you wait, the light system should detect that you're there, so you don't go over the line. You just sit on the line itself and it has detectors that should then say okay, now there is a car here and no other cars, I'll switch to green because I've noticed that at night that you get to an intersection where it's read and it will change quite quickly because you're the only car there. But I just thought it was an interesting little lard that was put out on drow. Drive's got some good stuff there. They have some really interesting articles, and I just thought it was worth a mention that, Yeah, so that the secret is just follow the speed limit to get the green light.
Speaker 1: Go figure, that's the most boring story of it. No, it's not really like but I will say no, it's it makes sense though. But I tell you what people don't think about a lot is if when you're on a you wouldn't have thought of this. But when you're on a scooter as in a little scooter, it doesn't trigger the lights quite often, quite often. So if I pull up in my car or even on one of my big loud, heavy bikes, it will. It will you know, when you get to an insection at nine o'clock at night, no one's anywhere, and it changes quite quickly because it anticipates you. I've pulled up to empty intersections on the scooter, I can sit there for three or four minutes. It only changes when another car comes and pulls up next to me.
Speaker 2: Can I admit something that I really shouldn't but I am. When I was working at Fox and Triple M for Ostereo and I was doing breakfast, I was breakfast news editor. I used to ride my bike into work and I was living in Paran at the time before I'd moved to Brighton East, and I was riding my bike and I had the same thing happened, and I would get to an intersection and I'd try to do the right thing. There were no cars because it was three point thirty in the morning. I started just riding through the section, but there was a speed camera and the light would flash, and then every morning I'd start to wave to it as I went fast. I thought, well, what are you going to do. I'm not going to get a fine. So I just because you're right being on a bicycle even more so, it wouldn't trigger. And you sometimes waiting ages and ages, and I thought, I'm going to get to work and read the news. So yeah, I just got to the point where I started waving to the camera when it went off, because I knew it to go every morning and what year and what intersection was. I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 1: I was just going to help out the revenue raisers. Sorry, what's your home address again?
Speaker 2: Everyone?
Speaker 1: That's that's Banillo with a capital B and el o.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, yeah, well you just incriminated yourself. Look up my website. Websites now all my details on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. One of your stories caught my attention. It says here scientists grow a backbone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that means either that means they got some courage because they're gutless, or did they literally grow a spine in a lab?
Speaker 1: And if they did a spine for what creature?
Speaker 2: Well this is all very early stuff, but they're talking about the notch cord. Do you do you know that part of the spine or what they're talking about. So the human stem cells. See, the thing is, stem cells are really unique cells. They normally happen I think at the early stage the blasted syst you know, the cells are not specialized at that point, So a stem cell can be coaxed into becoming a heart cell, a lung cell, a bone cell. So that's these spend these stem cells if they can use them. And what they did was they focused it on they can basically turn it into any part of the body. And what they're now saying is they can. They're hoping to use the stem cell and they've done this. Now I don't know what animal it was, I'm not even sure, but they basically were able to look at I think it was a human body now that I think of it, or a human stem cell that was then turned into a vertebrae. And they're saying that effectively, this little notch, the rod shaped tissue in the part of the body that develops eventually becomes the backbone, they were able to replicate and turn it and get the cell to specialize to the point where it became what would become a backbone cell, which is amazing when you think about damage. You know, tissue rejection is one of the biggest things that can be a problem for transplants. You know, if you get a heart transplant, then you know the problem is that tissuary direction and all the chemicals and all the drugs you've got to take for the rest of your life for your body. Not to reject that, but if you have a specialized stem cell that's your own, you'll be coaxed into growing a new heart for Crego. Then potentially as things wear out, that would be amazing, don't you reckon?
Speaker 1: You're assuming I have a heart. But pursuant to this conversation, okay, all right, fair enough. Pursuant to this conversation, you're on a friend of mine, the lovely gorgeous Jan and O'Brien, who I used to do radio with for years on Melbourne's Positive Alternative Light FM. Jane had cystic fibrosis, which you may or may not know about, which is very I mean, it's it's you know, it's life ending at its worst and definitely life shortening, and an other thing which is potentially worse called bronchie extasis. And Jane was very very very very very sick and was literally a day or two from not being around, and she got a double lung transplant. Now I'm trying to remember how long ago. That was probably nine or ten months ago. I could be wrong, but I've spoken to her a few times since, and yeah, you're exactly right in that you're trying to manage the you know the integration of basically someone else's lungs into your body, and there are lots of challenges around that. That's quite an interesting story. I want to get her on. We could maybe do a show The Three of Us, because you would love her. She's amazing, tough as strongest, most positive person of all time. But yeah, you're right for most people. I think the first heart transplant recipient, either in the world or in Australia definitely was a lady called Fiona Kut who were fourteen years old. And I feel like that was either in the mid late seventies or early eighties, but I.
Speaker 2: Fee last ties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eighties, yeah, yeah, But do you remember like the day imagine a couple of hundred years ago thinking oh well, if you know, old mate's heart died, we get another heart and put it in there and that works.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's the stuff that and that was decades ago. Now when what was that? It was nine and eighty four and it was the Victor Chang. Remember doctor Victor Chang.
Speaker 1: I remember there's a hospital named after it.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, so yeah, age of fourteen April the eighth, nine and eighty four. I remember that I was still in school myself. Gosh, but it's fascinating to think that that could be a reality for us. They'd be able to specialize to take these specialized cells and regrow them. That and that, you know, tailoring, whether it's drugs where we use our own you know, DNA that matches with us, because if I take certain headache tablets, they may work on me but not work on you. Certain drugs that are off the shelf can can sometimes be effective for some people and not for others. And so when we talk about custom drugs and tailor made drugs, my only concern about all of that is is it going to be available to everybody or is it just going to be available to people who can afford it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a really interesting conversation. So doctor Denise Faness is she is a geneticist, and doctor Bill Sullivan who also is firmly in that space. We have both of them on regularly, and Denise does this it's called personalized medicine where and you're exactly right, mate. So it's like how come Patrick can eat a handful of almonds and he loves them and they taste good and someone else has one armond and they have a terrible reaction and a phylactic reaction and so on or I. I don't know if I've ever told you this, but so my friend John, who had the terrible accident that you know.
Speaker 2: About, I've met John.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he's a great guy and now he lives with constant pain. And one of the many drugs that he's had to take over the years is Lyrica. I don't think I'm giving away any secrets here. Lyrica, which is a very strong drug for neural pain or nerve pain. Now John can have four of those in a day, no problem, four seventy five milligrams, which is three hundred milligrams, or even five or six. When my back was fucked once, like badly, I couldn't get out of a chair. I couldn't like I was in for me extreme pain. Getting in and out of bed took fifteen minutes. It was agony. I took one Lyrica one seventy five milligrams and I hallucinated. I was off my head and he could take four and barely notice it. So yeah, trying to I think we're going to see not only personalized medicine, but personalized nutrition, personalized exercise programming, personalized believe it or not, sleep prescription. And there's a guy, Oh, it'll come to me. I'm just blanking on his name, but doctor Cam. What's his surname? I know too many Cams. But anyway, as an organization called pH three sixty, and they look at people's different genetic disposition to ascertain what is the best everything for that person based on their genetic makeup. And this is going to become more and more a thing where where Patrick gets prescribed medicine and food and supplements based on his DNA. Yeah, and this is this is already happening. And so that's what Denise does. Doctor Denise, she takes blood, hair, lots of different things depending on the individual and the need, and then they are prescribed something specific to their DNA and in fact so effective as this a friend of mine, I won't say a full name because I don't I think she's she's okay with it. But Daniel, she had or has a young boy with autism who was really have like a lot of challenges and doctor Denise changed his diet based on his DNA and he had profound and drastic improvements in months where he essentially went from being nonverbal to verbal. I think he was about seven at the time. Amazing. So yeah, this is definitely the way forward is because you know, everybody's body responds differently to the same stimulus, so we're trying to find what is the right interventional protocol or stimulus for Patrick, not for the general pop population, and that that's evolving.
Speaker 2: And that's a good thing too when it comes to not taking drugs if you can reduce the instances. I love this story, as you know, I practice and I teach tai chi, and the philosophy behind somebody who was the healer or the medical person in a village in China, you know, three hundred, four hundred, five hundred years ago, was that the person who looked after your health got paid when you were healthy, but when you start being healthy, they stopped getting paid because their job is healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that idea, and I don't know how true it is, but I love the thought behind that that I'm being paid to keep you healthy, a bit like having your own PT and all that sort of stuff, but that preventative maintenance, that philosophy of keeping you healthy not fixing what you know, what's already happened. I think that's something that you know, a practice that we can all do and it's not that hard. And I guess it's the decisions that we make every day because whether you have the two spoons of sugar in your coffee or whatever that happens to be. But the reality, for result is that processed foods are rampant. You know, it's easy to eat processed foods, not as easy to kind of take things from scratch and make them from scratch. But it's so much better for you and we know that. But but you know, you do. You delve into this all the time. What motivates people, It's been part of your psyche and what you've done your whole career, whether you're being a trainer or whether you're looking at what you know, how people perceive life, the universe and everything around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're exactly right. And for me, it's really and this is not to throw heat at our current system, but like all systems, it's imperfect, and it's really it's more reactive than proactive, and it's more of a system, a sickness management system than it is a healthcare So like I realized early that I didn't have great genetics. You know my you know, mums had cancer three times, dads have multiple heart attacks, Mum had a minor you know, it's it's but they're still around, which is great. But I kind of realized on a couple of fronts if I didn't optimize what I've got, like with food, with exercise, with lifestyle, with sleep, with the decisions that I make because I have a real propensity to go in fat. I genetically have high blood pressure, thanks Mum and Dad. Even though I don't have salt, even though I'm lean, even though I work out all the time, never smoked, never drunk, don't eat ship food, Still high blood pressure, right, that's genetic. And so for me, I've very I've very much been always aware of and grateful for the fact that I have a body. I know that sounds silly, but always this kind of you can get a lot of other things, but you can't get another body. And I don't know where that came from, but I'm just like, it's it's so important to me that I look that I need to look after this thing that I can't replace. And so I've been proactive my whole life where I go. Look, if I open the smoking door, because Mum and Dad were smokers for years, I go, I'll probably be addicted by Tuesday. If I open the booze door, I'll probably drink booze for Australia competitively, right. So I just need because I'm a little bit like that. As you know, I'm pretty all or nothing. And so if I could apply that level of you know, discipline and self control and you know, hopefully intelligence to way to the way that I live and the things that I do to my body, and it's just I also think because it's so easy patrick to get to have access to unhealthy but tasty food, you know, and that's the you know, fast food, high salt, high fat, high sugar, and some people would say high pleasure understandably. But the problem with all of that is it's addictive, you know, because you're switching on all of these things in your brain that make you want more and then bibbity bobbedy boo five years down the track, now you're not in a great place. So and the problem or the challenge is that a lot of those addictive things give you instant gratification, obviously, But the flip side of that is, well, if I don't have whatever it is, I don't have instant weight loss or instant health or instant muscle or instant lower blood pressure or and so there's this to and fro for a lot of people where they know what to do, but they're always about to start next Monday.
Speaker 2: Look at what I've got some new neighbors that moved in, and there's such lovely people. They fostered two kids and then they had four of their own, so they've got four young girls under the age of twelve.
Speaker 1: And wow, wow, what amazing people.
Speaker 2: They are phenomenal people. And I had them over for a movie night and dinner the other day and I just made this a vegan bolin aise but lots of veggies, and you know, it was really good food. And we had a meal and then we sat down. When I say we sat down, the adults sat down, the kids were jumping around like beans. It was great. But you know the commitment that parents make, and I just thought to myself, how hard have I worked to make all this food for eight of us? And they do that every single day. I've got so much respect for people who who do that? Who have you know, multiple child? Well, even one child is hard enough, but let alone, you know, having all those kids under the age of twelve. And I just think there's such an amazing and beautiful commitment that people make to giving their kids so much, and they often you know, go without so their kids will have And that just blows me away that people do that. It was It's great to see and just a dedication. Just it's awesome, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Ah? And you and I don't sorry, we don't have to deal not deal with We don't have the pleasure of that, right. That's why it's so easy to be selfish when you're just a single dude.
Speaker 2: Or do that, I guess do that, Oh dear.
Speaker 1: I'm allowed to say that. Hey, one more story and then let's wind up. You just scroll through your little list and tell us what you want to share.
Speaker 2: Well, haptics, I'm going to talk VR again because it is a really passionate thing for me, and not for that just that reason, because I love gaming and I love virtual travel and hanging out with my friends online. And I know I've told this story before about a friend of mine who passed away from murdering your own disease, and I got my headset and took it around to his place. He's an artist. He painted some most amazing, iconic, just beautiful paintings God in the name of I won't say his name, but anyway, but his paintings were very profound, and some of them were painted over twelve months. And one of his last paintings was of Notre Dame when the fire went through, and he uses a lot of religious iconography in there as well. And I was able to put on a headset and give him a virtual tour of Notre Dame after the fire and while they were doing the rebuild, and it was a guided tour by one of the priests that was part of that whole process of rebuilding. And as you where, you probably saw in the news that they've now reopened Notre Dame and it's looking like it's been restored to its great splendor. But one of the next steps and stages of VR interaction is going to be haptics. And I saw some haptic and what I mean by haptics is haptics where you have a controller and if you touch something, it vibrates and the body kind of gets full into thinking that it's interacting in the virtual world while you're there. But now they're developing kind of haptic sleeves that use air pressure, so you don't just get a vibration like your phone when it vibrates, but it feels like touch and it can be touched that's pressure sensitive as well, So if it's something where it's a prolonged touch, it will grab for a prolonged period. So rather than you know, when your phone vibrates in your pocket and you get a sense that there's a message coming through, whereas this will apply pressure. So there's a lot of hope now that the tech behind this using air so using pneumatics rather than little tiny servo motors will mean that it takes up less power, it'll be more effective, and then you will get a much more sensitive feel. So if I reached out and grabbed your hand to shake your hand in a VR environment, potentially the haptic glove would start to pressurize around your hand and you would really feel like I'm gripping your hand. And if I applied more press it would be able to apply more pressure using this robotic sleeve and these little air pockets to grip your hand, and it would make that whole environment, that whole interaction so dynamic, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's yeah, And I guess I mean part of me is like just fucking give someone a normal hug. I get that. But also at the same time, potentially I was thinking, just quickly, somebody, somebody that I know is struggling at the minute with you know, loneliness and stuff, and I was thinking for people who are lonely, you know, who perhaps are isolated for like either just geographically isolated, or they have agoraphobia or agrophobia, you know, and for whatever reason. Yeah, like that, because like you said, your body can get fooled. It's like when we have a dream that isn't it is like like we're actually dreaming, but the events of the dream are not real, but to us in the moment, they're real. And so the experience, to our nervous system, to our brain, to our everything is though it was happening. And I think that's that that VR and all of the kind of the offshoots of VR and all this haptic kind of potential, you know, that opens another door to another kind of experience that I think in you know, just like we're seeing surgeons do operations remotely from different states using robotic you know tools. Yeah, it's fucking amazing, mate. I love all that. I love all that.
Speaker 2: It's great. It opens up a bright future. And you know, we do talk about all the negatives, sometimes not all the negatives, but the fact that there's hacking going on, and there's a cyber war underway as we speak, with government funded you know, there's a I read an article a few years ago that said there it's believed that they are up to a million state sanctioned hackers in China. That blows your mind, isn't that? And it's a pretty wild thought. But I think that sometimes we can focus on the negative side of it. But it's great to know that there's a lot of really exciting positive things coming up. And I just envisaged that someone who's elderly, or someone who's infirm, or someone who's had you know, who's crippled in some way and not able to leave their bed, for them to be able to use VR to escape what could be a prolonged and condition like murder, your own disease that robs you of everything, to be able to then take them and transport them somewhere else and give them an ability to be able to still enjoy life and have quality of life. I think that will mean a lot for people as they age and as you know the rigors of getting old, or even just getting on a plane for us in Australia and flying to Europe and visiting Notre Dame. For a lot of our listeners who are getting on that a may be cost prohibitive, but it also could be physically prohibitive because they might have a bad back and couldn't sit on a plane for that long.
Speaker 1: Correct, correct, mate, How can people connect with you, old old mate?
Speaker 2: Websites noow dot com dot au is the website and we do all sorts of stuff, marketing and branding, social media. I don't do the social media, but I'm bloody hopeless with social media. I don't think I've done my LinkedIn profile for about eight years. My colleague keeps telling me off, you really should be updating this. You know, you get onto the podcast and your LinkedIn is really old. But yeah, websites now dot com TODAYU is the just a bit about what we do and all that sort of stuff. And he's walked away Can I just say that?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Wait I'm talking and he walked. I can see you.
Speaker 1: It's Can I just tell you that a bird flew against my window?
Speaker 2: No? What?
Speaker 1: And I want to go and see that he's all right. I feel like the little fuck has got concussion.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, go out there and rescue your bird.
Speaker 1: Well, hey mate, it's been great. Thank you so much. I wasn't being rude. I probably I was. I was concerned about you and the bird. Thank you all right, mate, thank you