Speaker 1: Twenty four after eight gather Around brings the biggest names in the AFL industry to town. Eddie McGuire is in the five Double a breakfast studio with us. Eddie, good morning to you. You were just telling us a bit of a story that we're going to start not with Gather Around, but it's too good a story not to miss for our audience to miss out on. Your car featured in The Castle, one of the most beloved movies in Australian film history.
Speaker 2: So I believe I had a cameo role. Okay, So, Jane Kennedy and Rob Sitch are very close friends of mine. In fact, I used to work with them on the D Generation. That was when I first started on radio back in Melbourne, back in the days, as they say, about nineteen eighty seven. I reckon it was. Anyway, I get a phone call when the footageh I'd kicked off and so nine I'd give me a new car. I had the BMW Convertible, the new black model, and anyway, Jane rings up one day and says, can we borrow your cars? What do you want the car for? So I was just shooting a movie. I said, we're dinner last week. I didn't mention anything about a movie. No, no, we're just doing it. It's going to take nine days and oh, no worries. Anyway, it became the Castle. So when Dennis Denudo the lawyer, finally gets the vibe and wins the court and he gets his new car and it pulls up and it's mine, it's your car, and they shot it in they shut it in Fitzroy and it came back and somebody had taken the stickers off the ben w stickers off the wheel.
Speaker 3: In the credits.
Speaker 2: No, no, I should have got a car ring or something. So well, that's where it all started back in those days. And haven't they been fantastic working dog still Channel ten.
Speaker 3: I can remember I was anyone when the DJ started at show, you know, Graham and the Colonel and world. It's just so funny. They were just great. So I was looking away with a bit of it.
Speaker 2: Now I know, Well, you don't get away with anything imagined. The footy show would be off here in about ten seconds these days. For twenty five years, it last about five minutes there. Well we go on YouTube into your sensation one or the other these days, But no, it's a great and with that, the tradition continues tonight because we're going to be doing the show from the Brossa Valley, which is a combination of sort of footy classified meets gather around meets the old footy show tradition.
Speaker 3: And I must have twisted your arm to get you to go and do the show in the bross Valley.
Speaker 2: I've pushed that for three years. Well, so we actually are sitting in the vines. We're going to record a little bit early so we get golden hour, So we're going to shoot it about half us five and so the players can get back so they're all coming in. Isaac Rankin is going to sing again. We are doing it. I'll tell you exactly where we're doing it, David, as I look for my phone and get it right for you. We are in where we're in the Brussa Valley estate. We're just up from Sernsville there and we're going to go for dinner afterwards and do the whole thing. But I love it up there. It's just magnificent. I love McLaren Vale. Now there are Molly Doka wines up there with Sarah Marquis is a good friend, and so it's going to be a wonderful night. The premier is going to be there Collingwood and no no, the premier of Sorry Turner mellen Askus will be there, and we're going to get Jack Innovan on as well. Who's a favor. I thought I might come out an umpire's uniform just to make things happy as well. Jeez, they're a bit stifferent on the weekend.
Speaker 3: Don't get it.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a markdo It wasn't a mark.
Speaker 3: It was a free though. It was a freak. It was in the back.
Speaker 1: We put it to a jury before eight o'clock about the coaches challenge or something similar about that. In the AFL, fan of it.
Speaker 2: No, I think what we have to do is just get the umpires in the right position. I think late in the game, because they're running up and down, it's become too much of an athletic feat. I think they're at a position and they're tired, and I would rather the ball come to the umpires. I'd rather they be positioned. I've actually petitioned this to the af L for a number of years for this very reason, because late in the games, everyone's out in their feet. You know, ranking doesn't hold a chess mark. The ball goes to the ground. You know it's tight, it's on it's desperation. The umpires have to be the coolest cats. Instead they're running up and down like here he gots. So I'd rather they be in position and to be perfect. This will make you fall off your chairs. But I'd rather actually have more umpires that can make decisions and less bound arroundpires who can't and go up Isaac cant and actually have trained guys in position. They can wear long pants. They could be seventy years of age if you need him to be. But people who can make the right decision at the right time. And let's go back to the old rules. If we actually focused on the fact that in the back is a rule that is in the absolute foundations of the game, that would have been a free kick because you go, no, you pushed him in the back. Yeah, you're allowed to hit within five minutes of the ball tick. You've got to hold a chess mark. Keep that one back in the game so that we don't have to argue did he have control? They hold a chess mank you can't hold a chess make you don't deserve it, okay, but the next part was in the back and Isaac Rankin should have got a free kick.
Speaker 3: You've been a big champion, have gathered around and known in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sort of friendly Victoria Vsa pipe shines over all sorts of.
Speaker 3: Silly things, but you're still an advocate being part of the part of the calendar permanently.
Speaker 2: I think it has been the single biggest fillip for football in the last period of time. I think it is absolutely magnificent. I pushed for it beforehand when the lobbying was on because I was here in eighty eight for the Bison ten Nial Classics, the over the Grand Prix as well, and I just thought Adelaide it just does these things really really well. So when we came over and Peter Melanascus, he manifests what he wanted and then he made it happen and he seems to do that a fair bit, which is pretty good with that being political. He does a great job and all that, and then the AFL, there's no doubt the AFL were using Adelaide in the first instance a bit of a stalking horse. I remember speaking to Peter Melanisk and said, they'll take the skin off your hand grabbing the check. But you've got to you know, but make sure you know you've got to do the other things because once the ball's bounced, it could be anywhere. Really the game goes. The tight shots are in and they might put a soup up that you're in Adelaide.
Speaker 3: But that's about it.
Speaker 2: It's the accoutra months. If you like tonight's show, for example, you're getting really a two hour ad for South Australia nationally around the nine network at seven point thirty.
Speaker 3: It's prime prime time.
Speaker 2: It's not like even the footage Eastbound nineth that this is seven thirty, So you're probably making your money back alone on that show that's not even on the broadcasters seven. The front bars coming over.
Speaker 3: The keys that we'll get into it to you. Sydney wouldn't get into it. Brisbe won't get into you know, Sydney.
Speaker 2: The telegraph would be Valandis. I'd have them wound up that there was three seats empty here and.
Speaker 3: There what ping pong all that would from Sydney.
Speaker 2: And it's a bit like my old nightclub technique. They no points spending on night talking to a girl trying to convince somebody that hates you to hate your lips talk to somebody who likes you, and I like you more, and so why wouldn't you come to South Australia, great footballing state, And well it's paid off in spades.
Speaker 3: Gather around the Eddie McGuire nightclub technique exactly, that's true.
Speaker 2: A long time between drinks, I can tell that's my go to here was that how to join up in the corner there with the piano. That's my son for America.
Speaker 3: Someone someone's ready to tell your benches.
Speaker 2: A couple of big nights here with Taining Modron, have a quiet night with Jopplins and here jo Heaven was the other one. Yeah, a big time. We used to come back to the Jeans Ray Jeans was massive. That was in the Bison ten to a funny story. Ross Oakley and all the AFL crew came in and we were going out to a nightclub and they had their their AFL jackets on and they turned them inside out so they looked like the silk on the salt jackets. Like you're kidding under the cover of darkness with Big E J. Whitman curls. Not quite so incognito and Dermott Brown and myself bringing up the rear.
Speaker 3: It was unbelievable. Joined the Bross tonight
Speaker 2: See You Guys seven thirty on Channel nine for the gather Around spectacular