Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, August tenth, twenty twenty six. White activists who demand decolonization are guilty of political correctness gone wild. That's according to Indigenous academic Mark Rose, a Gundichmurra Man, who's just been made First Nation's Commissioner at the Tertiary Sector's Oversight Body ATECH, Senior Treasury officials privately discussed warnings that Anthony Albanese's five percent home deposit scheme could lead to first home buyers being exposed to risk of negative equity if house prices fell below the value of their mortgages. Those exclusives are live now at the Australian dot com dot au. Former broadcaster Ray Hadley will this week enter the witness box to give evidence in the criminal trial of his former close colleague and rival Alan Jones. Jones has pleaded not guilty to twenty two charges involving sexual contact with young men. His barrister has already told the trial Hadley wanted to destroy Jones and he'll be giving evidence for the Crown. That's an exclusive in Today's Media Diary by Steve Jackson Today. Reporter Leam Mendez joins us fresh from his courtroom seat just behind Jones, with insights on what's shaping up as an epic and bitterly forught trial.
Speaker 2: Are you making your evidence up as you go along?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: This is an exchange in the New South Wales Local Court between the defense lawyer Gabrielle Bisheer, one of the country's most eminent silks, representing former broadcaster Allan Jones, and a man we can name only as complainant. Jay Jay is one of six men who claim Jones engaged in unwanted kissing and touching of them. We've used voice actors throughout this episode to bring you the words spoken in court. Jones has pleaded not guilty to twenty counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual touching. Liam Mendez is a journalist with The Australian and he's been covering the long awaited trial of Alan Jones. Lim from the outside, this feels like a very big deal, this trial, even though it's in the local court. What's that scene been like?
Speaker 4: This is a huge trial and you know this is Alan Jones, one of the biggest names in Australian broadcasting.
Speaker 3: Now right across Australia.
Speaker 5: Alan Jones, she's a clown.
Speaker 2: Jacinderada in a complete clown. I just wonder whether Scott Morrison's.
Speaker 4: You know, I certainly grew up listening to him. A lot of Australians, did you know he had a huge amount of power in Australian media. So it's quite extraordinary sort of watching him walk into Downing Center Court every day and sitting down. He sits down in the same seat and he's gagged. He's not saying anything. At this stage, we don't know whether he's going to be called as a witness. He may, he may not. If he does, it'll be quite extraordinary because then he'll be put up to cross examination by the Crown. And seeing someone like Alan Jones appearing and being cross examined will be something that you know, I think a lot of people will be fascinated with you reading about.
Speaker 1: He's facing a couple of dozen charges involving sexual touching of young men who came into his orbit over the years, and we really do have to cast our minds back to him as this very powerful broadcaster. He kind of lived like the King of Sydney, didn't he in his amazing apartment down near Circular Key. He had a farm and he offered patronage to these young men. According to what the Crown is putting before the court, what forms did that patronage take.
Speaker 4: We're getting an extraordinarily detailed look inside the life of Alan Jones. When he was in his absolute heyday, he was being chauffeur driven around by very young men. He was giving out mobile phones. You know, Alan Jones is someone who has a chef, a butler. He had everyone sort of running around doing things for him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: He was someone that if you were the Prime Minister and Alan Jones called you, you would be picking up that phone call. He was someone that was incredibly feared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alan Jones's life was amazingly luxurious. He was so wealthy, even though he reported to speak up for what he called struggle street listeners who were down on theirk or who just ordinary Australians trying to get by. There was a very evocative foreshadowing of some evidence that's going to be heard from one of the complainants about him going to Ellen Jones's apartment admiring the flowers and then receiving a floral display once a week for a year from Alan Jones. The implication is that this was some sort of active courtship or of love bombing, and that was an interesting insight into these allegations, isn't it. I mean, I suspect Alan Jones if he is going to give evidence, we'll say that these were acts of generosity and kindness. You mentioned giving someone a mobile phone. Do you get that sense that that's how this is.
Speaker 4: Going to go? Absolutely, and the Crown is certainly forming its case on allegations that Jones was grooming, at least especially this first witness who has been before the court. We're talking about a huge amount of money that was deposited into his bank account. It's really interesting to see how the Crown is sort of trying to paint this picture of this life that Alan Jones had.
Speaker 1: Jay told the court he met Jones when he was a promising young athlete. He said he received regular payments from Jones over several years, purportedly to support his athletic career. He described incidents of unwanted kissing and touching by Jones, which he said started when he was seventeen. He described one incident, which he said happened at Jones's country property at Fitzroy Falls, south of Sydney.
Speaker 3: The defendant told me to go and have a shower and come back in a robe, and nothing else.
Speaker 5: Of another incident, Jay said it was.
Speaker 3: Another trapped moment. I was completely frozen.
Speaker 1: Gabrielle Basher Cross examined Jay about one of the incidents where he said Jones had ordered him to take off his clothes.
Speaker 2: You must have understood that this was some kind of suggestion of getting ready for sexual activity. Yes, you could have put your pants back on.
Speaker 3: I could have.
Speaker 1: Basher put it to Jay, who came forward after media reports about Jones's alleged offending that he had made up his story.
Speaker 2: He never said he'd pull the money if you didn't do what he wanted.
Speaker 3: Did he No? But I didn't like when he was disappointed in me. It was not a good time, not a good feeling.
Speaker 1: Jay described an incident where he and Jones kissed and their naked bodies touched.
Speaker 3: I was very scared in that room. That was as scared as I've ever been.
Speaker 1: Jay described another incident where he and Jones were both wearing robes and their penises touched.
Speaker 2: This account you've given of penis wiggling is an attempt to humiliate mister Jones, isn't it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: Jay also told the court Jones's penis quote wasn't very big.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't know because you've never seen mister Jones's penis.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have.
Speaker 1: Some of Basher's cross examination was briefly suppressed, but when the non publication order was lifted, journalists could reveal her lines of attack, including putting to Jay that he had a financial motivation.
Speaker 5: For accusing Jones.
Speaker 1: So you watched that cross examination unfold, but couldn't report on it at the time. I guess he still had to be frantically making notes right in case it became unsuppressed.
Speaker 4: That's right. And it's been really fascinating watching Jay as we're allowed to refer to him as you know, giving this evidence. He's thinking very carefully about what he's saying. And part of what was suppressed was that he was a former police officer, and so he has actually had some form of training of giving evidence in court, and that is part of what was suppressed. We're allowed to report on that now.
Speaker 1: Gabrielle Bushi also put it to him that he had a financial motive for making these allegations against Jones.
Speaker 5: What did he say to that?
Speaker 4: He said, there was absolutely no financial motive. He even said that, you know, he's willing to sign a document to so that he'd never launch civil proceedings against mister Jones, no matter what the outcome of this would be. He's saying, he's made it very clear that he's got a young daughter and he wants to show her that what happened to him, what he says happened to him, wasn't a right thing. Witness Day is going to be one of many, many witnesses. There's also other witnesses that are set to come that are related to him. This is going to be a three to four.
Speaker 5: Month long trial.
Speaker 4: We've got other high profile people, including as Steve Jackson is going to reveal in mediadary that Ray Hadley is going to be called as a witness, So there's been some mention of that. There is some other names that we can't say who they are. We know who they are, but we're talking about some incredibly high profile people who are going to be appearing in this case.
Speaker 1: In her opening address, Bash has said Hadley a long time on air colleague and rival of Jones, had deliberately helped facilitate media reporting of allegations against her client.
Speaker 5: That was just part of.
Speaker 1: What Bash has said was quote rivalry, treachery, double dealing, money, hatred, desperation, opportunism and more.
Speaker 5: At the heart of the case.
Speaker 1: Coming up, how the eighty five year old Jones is spending his days in court. What's been your sense of Alan Jones's demeanor in the witness box and as he walks in and out of court each day.
Speaker 4: I've been sitting about two and a half meters behind him, to his right, so I can sort of watch him very closely. You know, he's cracking the odd laugh when the rest of the court is laughing. He appears very relaxed. He's always there with his legs crossed, his vigorously taking notes. A note taking has increased since the cross examination has commenced.
Speaker 1: In fact, you revealed in The Australian in Our Life blog that he was noting things down in a one nation notepad.
Speaker 4: Well, that's right. On Wednesday he had this one nation notepad and you know it's a three dollar notepad that's sold out. Actually on the One Nation website after it is One Nation merch he's got Pauline hands in the bottom right hand corner. And then, mysteriously, I'm not sure if it's because we wrote about it. Not long after we wrote about it, he returned from lunch with just a generic reporter's notepad, so that One Nation notepad is I don't know where it's gone. And now it's just this scruffy, old like reporters notepad that he's using, and he's making a lot of notes. He's showing things to Brian Wrench, who is his high profile instructing solicitor next to him, and Brian sort of has a look, and then Brian's sometimes passing little notes between some solicitors on the team. But most of the time, you know, Alan is clearly listening intently. He's thinking a lot, He's making lots of notes. He's not always looking at the screen. Sometimes he's looking straight ahead. But you know, he gets up, he's off in the first one, up and out of the room after lunch has been called. On the first day, he had a supporter in court before the court was closed, and you know he's sort of cracking jokes with this supporter the supporter sat behind him and he got it up and I said something along the lines of oh, I hope you don't cough on me or something like that, and whacked him with his cane. So that's sort of that Alan Jones spanter that he's known for having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be an epic trial. I hope you've got lots of notebooks up your sleeve. Lim, Thank you very much, thank you. La Mendez is a reporter with The Australian. We're covering this story live at the Australian dot com dot are you