Speaker 1: I get a team at Craig Anthony, half of the You project, Kerry Volun, Tiffany and Cook asks you the whole fucking thing. T let's start up in the top left hand corner. Tiffany and Cook, Hi, top of the morning Harps.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: Oh? Look, I'm so good. I'm bursting out of my flannel. In fact, I've burst out of it. I'm in a black Everlass T shirt. The flannel's been discarded. That's our fucking pump.
Speaker 2: Really dressed up?
Speaker 1: You really dressed up? Yeah. Karen Vaughan's amazing. You've got to get her on. She's funny, she's just all the time.
Speaker 2: We like peas in a pot.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're just going to be like she's the best? Am I? All right? Hi? Karen?
Speaker 2: Hi, Craig, how are you?
Speaker 1: Oh my dear, I'm so good, Thank you? How are you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm fantastic. It's buddy windy up here. I'm in Sale in gibbs Land and the buddy trees are blowing a gale. What's it like down in Melbourne?
Speaker 1: It's about twenty five there's no wind at so shit. I just came in for the hammock bullshit. I've been lined by the pool. I just wiped the zinc off my nose. It's going to be now. It's fucking freezing, and it's windy and it's cold. And when I went to the cafe this morning at stupid o'clock, it was I was going to say my wiz and Nelly fell off, but I can't say that because that's inappropriate. But let's just say it was cold. It was very cold. It was very cold. Yeah, saleh. I used to live up in that direction. I lived up in the tro Valley. We used to play footy against Sale. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've only lived here for about eight years. But you know, I'm a Warrigal girl. But Warrigal and trough. But yeah, the valley, that's it's a place.
Speaker 1: Gide up, gide up, all right. So what do you do up there? What do you? What do you? What is the amazing fabulous Kerry Karn sorry Vaughan do in Sale?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I reckon, I've been rated a little bit, thanks very much, Tiff. Give me So. I'm a leadership code, leadership facilitator and coach. I do team building, so I work for myself and I go into organizations and you know, try and get people a bit excited about working together, building relationships and that kind of stuff. So I've I've got two books plus a gratitude journal. I run Girls with Hammers, which is not woodwork. It's a women's empowerment initiative. And oh there's something else I'm missing anyway, that kind of thing you do?
Speaker 1: You do a podcast?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's it. That's the other thing, Yeah, which.
Speaker 1: Is also called what's it called something with?
Speaker 2: Get off the Bench?
Speaker 1: Get off the Bench, the bloody come on, you need to learn to do your pr better than that.
Speaker 2: I'm not very good. I'm not very good at that stuff at all. I'm a bit organic. So yeah, Get Off the Bench. The podcast. It's like, because I wrote the book Get Off the Bench, which helps people to kick stuff projects and ideas, I decided to do a podcast that would showcase people who are already doing that so hopefully inspire people to believe in themselves. That's not an easy gig, getting people to believe in themselves.
Speaker 1: What do you reckon? That's about Why do you reckon? There's so much doubt, self doubt, self loathing, and even kind of self sabotage in a way.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm probably going to take that all the way back to childhood and school because I think that we're born bloody, wonderfully, magnificently and everyone praises us, you know, every minute we speak, we're like dad, mama, and they're like, oh, yeah, you know, little Johnny or whatever. And then we start walking and then we start touching the TV and its smack, your bloody hands, don't touch this, don't touch that, sit down, shut up, you know. And then we get to school and it's kind of like, oh, even kinder and the kids are going, my mom says, your mum's fat. I don't want to play with you today. We don't like your hair, all that bullshit. And then we get into school and it's just compete, compete, compete, you know, and if you're not you can't shine. Like nobody can turn up as themselves and I don't know, be appreciated and celebrated for who they truly are. And I reckon that really bloody sucks. So we get it beaten out of us. This is just my theory, might not be right, but we get a beaten out of us, you know, And unless we can form and unless we fit in with a gang, we don't want to be ejected from the tribe. So we just buddy, we become something we're not, just so so that we don't get rejected. And I reckon, I've done it. I'm going to say, I reckon, it sucks and it's bullshit. But of course I've been victim to that bullshit, you know, And now I don't. But I do notice occasionally things that I feel like, God, I've got no choice, you know, I'm going to have to bloody fit into that. But I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: I call it. I call that the enormity of conformity, right, Yeah, do you like that? It's just yeah, I mean that I agree with you. And but the tough bit is, you know, you don't want to be living on an island. You do want connection, you do want to be you know, you want to belong, you want to be needed, Valu'd wanted. Most of us want to be part of something bigger than us, which means being part of a group or a tribe or whatever, a family or a social construct. Yeah. I think the challenge is not belonging to a group that where you have to think a certain way, be a certain way, you know, where the power to disagree or think critically or be you know, somewhat atypical, where that's not taken away from you. You know, it's like if you belong to a group where if you don't think like us, talk like us, behave like us, and advocate our philosophy, then you're not part of us. You can't belong. Well, that's that's a fucking cult.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It does have to be religious to be a cult, right, there are a lot of cults that are they're basically thought cults, Like this is how you have to think to belong. Yeah, And I think that's the I think that's the challenge is you know, some like for me, I've always been a little bit weird, you know, don't drink, don't smoke, han't had a job for nearly forty years, like an actual employee job. I've avoided work very fucking successfully and not better or worse than anyone, and not drastically different, but just thinking how can I be me but also still have connection with others? And I reckon One of the great questions is how can I have friends and people that I love and that love me, that are fucking nothing like me maybe, and that's okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think it's about having the guts in the first place to stand up and say, well, this is who I am, knowing that you're going to lose people, you know, knowing that there's a risk of being ejected. But I think that if you can stand this strong enough for long enough, the right people are attracted to that. You know. It's kind of like being a glow worm, you know, and you just, I don't know, it's buty scary. I think that people won't take that first step and actually slam their stake into the ground and say this is who I am, like me or not because they don't want to be alone. And I get, I completely understand and agree with you that we all need connection, we all need belonging, you know, we've got to be part of something. But do we have the guts to say what I currently belong to is toxic and cult like, you know, because it's forcing me to wear a Maskt's forcing me to be who I don't want to be. And how do I find that group where I actually can have a voice and be authentic and be me? And I think you can't find that until you actually take the step and be authentic and then hope that the right people are attracted to you. You know, like I look at I look at Tiff, and I like we're attracted to each other. You know, I think you're gorgeous. No, not like that, you know, well I did, now, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: If I'm getting in there, if you two want me to leave and just switch off the light as I go, just fucking let me know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have big spunked ive.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But because because I always say that TIFF's one of the most courageous, vulnerable people I know. Do you know that she's really really put a heart on the table out there to be stabbed and kind of said, well, this is who I am and I'm not perfect. I suck, but I'm trying my hardest, you know, and I really admire that. So I'm attracted to that kind of thing. You know, TIFF's obviously attracted to the same thing, and you're like that, HAPs you know, it's kind of like, this is who I am, and if you don't like it, I'm sorry. I Actually I have this mantra I want you to like me, but I don't need you to like me, do you you know? It's kind and I think we've got to have the guts to actually stand in that space first. And I reckon, that's really bloody hard because we've been told all our lives. Don't you dare step out of line? You know you won't have a job, no one will marry you, no one will love you. Do you know you won't have friends? All of that kind of bullshit that people that have got filled with fear tell us, you know, to protect them, or that they think they're protecting us. I'm not sure, but I think it's tough. I feel sorry for people who can't be themselves.
Speaker 1: I had a lecturer at university my first time at UNI, my first degree, and he doctor Paul Callery, who played football also and kilderr and Melbourne. He used to say to me, mister Harper, I don't know way on me that, mister Harper. He goes, if you don't want to offend anyone, then say nothing, do nothing, be nothing, and stand for nothing. Yeah, you know that's what I'm like. That's pretty fucking accurate. It's like and even then someone's still going to find a reason. I did a workshop on so we're recording this Tuesday. I did a workshop on Sunday, Karen, and it was just a private, twenty people, small group. Five hours though, and this lady came up to me. I remember her name, but I won't say her name. And she's like, because I was talking about it doesn't matter what you do, even if you've got the best intentions, you're the best person. You're coming from a platform of love and kindness and care. One, you're going to fuck things up. Of course I fuck things up every hour. But two, there will also be people who don't like you, don't resonate with you, and potentially fucking hate you, right despite the fact that you are trying to be compassionate, aware and all of those things. And anyway, this lady comes up to me and she goes, oh, it's funny you say that. She goes, my first husband hates you. And this was in the break and I said, oh, well that's a pretty big club, so welcome, and I said, has he ever met me? She goes, no, she hates you because I came home from a workshop, and she said, and not the same day, but pretty much the result of me coming home from what your workshop was realizing a whole lot of things, making decisions and leaving him so like he doesn't blame himself, he blames me, like he's got no part, he didn't do anything wrong, Like I'm the I caused the demise of his I'm like fucking talk about lack of awareness, ownership, you know, courage, all that, but it's that's the thing, you know. And I mean, we have thousands of people listen to this every day in a bunch of countries. And and if I thought about if I went, all, gee, how do I have this conversation with Karen, how do I ask this question? How do I respond if I did all of that from the premise of not wanting to or not being okay at least with the possibility that I'm going to offend someone, even that I'll put a asterisk next too, because me offending one seems that like I am responsible for other people's feelings. We can talk about that. Yeah, but I'd never do a fucking episode. I'd never have a conversation. I'd never write a book. I'd never do a workshop, because that's just part of it, you know. And So if you want a platform anyone listening, if you want to run workshops, you want a podcast, you want to do workshops, seminars, you want to be a front facing person with a public audience, and you don't want to get hurt, offended, disler, Well pick another job. I can go and become a gardener and work for yourself, and don't because it's it doesn't matter who you are, how you are, someone's going to fucking hate you. Welcome to the club, right one.
Speaker 2: And I think an extension of that also is you have to actually be willing to be vulnerable and say I don't know. Because if you're going to have any kind of platform, somebody's going to approach you or come back at you with a question or a statement that you actually don't know the answer to all, or you don't have a response to the You have to actually be able to say, I freaking don't know. I actually I don't even know what to say with that, you know, because we try to be a big pompous know it all, none of us do. None of us know everything. So there's both sides. Yes, don't get a if you're going to you're going to offend people. People are going to hate you, and you're not always going to know the answers, and if you pretend to people call you out, people can see it.
Speaker 1: And I think part of that, Karen and tiff et l is that we get our sense of self worth and value from knowing. And I agree with you. I wrote something recently like we are Basically I wrote that we are addicted to being right yep, because I don't want because especially think about this, Karen, when when you've believed something for a long time, then that belief is intertwined with you. It's your identity, your sense of self. Because I know I'm right now, there's a couple of interesting things in that. One is I know that I'm right, wink wink, nudgs nudge. I know that I'm right. Therefore everyone in the world who doesn't agree with me is fucking wrong? Or how BIG's your ego? Harps right? So there's that, and then just the idea, like the awareness that oh, maybe me saying, look, I don't actually know by the way, I fucked up one hundred things. I still get trapped in ego. I'm still an overthinker, I still have self doubt and I want you to love me other than that, I'm a fucking warrior. I'm an alpha, you know. But the funny thing is that that hopefully, like I get more positive feedback, the more raw, real and vulnerable I am, even when I'm talking about my monumental fuck ups and flaws, like it actually creates more connection than disconnection. But chest beating and brag an arrogance creates the opposite of what people want.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, I do. I did a keynote on last Thursday, and they actually wanted me. Like, the reason they wanted me was because I admit my fuck ups. Do you know? They wanted someone to stand on that stage and say, I have fucked up over and over and over, but I've still come through. Do you know? You know I've still managed to overcome the screw ups. But that's that's what they were looking for. They said, we want someone who's real and honest, and who is who has stuffed up? Do we want? People want to show people that if you have courage and you admit you're wrong, you know you can actually achieve stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, tell us about tell us about one or two of those fuck ups and tell us what you learned and how you grew well.
Speaker 2: I reckon the best one was I started one Planet classrooms and it was so I wrote Magnificent Kids. A guy in Africa saw my book and I he wanted to start this program. He said, can I start? I want to start Magnificent classes And I said fantastic. And then he said, will you skype with my class? This is back in Scotts yep. Then I said, well, why don't I get one of the kids in the book to skype with your class? He said yeah, And then I went one further, so why don't I get a class in Australia to skype with your class in Africa. Anyway, it kind of just went out of control and I had thirty laptops donated to me and I thought, well, I'm going to have to start a business. I don't know what to do with all these laptops. Then I had forty five schools in Africa signed up to do this skyping project. This is in a couple of weeks. Like. It just went off like that, and I had this great idea, Wow, how fantastic this business? You know, they get pen pals online and everything else. It took me eighteen months. I finally sent these twenty eight laptops to Uganda a long story, but anyway, basically, I sent laptops to a country where the kids were sleep when our kids were in school, so I hadn't even thought about time zones. Spent eighteen months on this, but didn't think about time zones once. And not only that, I sent laptops to a country ninety five percent of them don't even have power, so it was kind of like and so they had to take it down to a market, trickle feed it for twenty four hours, you know, and it was just a fucking nightmare. But what I learned was and so I said, well, what about if I put in some solar systems into some schools? And that was great, but I still couldn't skype, but at least they could use the computers. And then what I learned from that was that the girls were sleeping over So they go to primary school, goes to P seven and then they go to high school. But if the girls don't pass, they get married off, so and they can't pass because they're going and getting all the water, you know, and that kind of stuff. So by having the solar system, the girls were sleeping at the schools for two weeks studying to make sure because they've now got power to make sure that they pass for to go to secondary so essentially saving all these girls, well really saving their lives because their marriages are often result in death, murder and then But what I also learned from this was that I'm like, well, why the girls getting water? Like what's happening here? And there's not a shortage of water in Uganda, but this is a lot of African countries, but a shortage of infrastructure to capture the water. So I started putting in water tanks into the schools so the kids they could catch the water instead of the girls getting them. I put you know, connected water down to villagers, put water wells and all that kind of stuff in. So what that did is it kept the girls in school, and we were doing sanitary pads and that kind of stuff, so little girls would go off collecting water at lunchtime and missay out on all that school. They're getting sexually assaulted and raped all the way. They're girls as young as three, do you know this kind of stuff. Teenage girls are swapping sex for sanitary items so they could stay in school so they won't get married off. You know, HIV just bloody rampant. So yeah, so that monumental fuck up of sending laptops to a country where it was never going to work my initial great project. So it turned into saving many, many, many lives, and not just the ones directly saved, but the families of these people, you know, because the girls could now get jobs. And yeah, so I like telling that story because I actually liked it. I fucked up, you know it great. They could have been skype buddies or zoom buddies now and all that. But you know, and I didn't know all that, you know, I just thought, I, actually it's got there's a think all white man's white man's burden or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Here I was thinking that, you know, it's that typical white person sing or I want to help those poor people in Africa, do you know that kind of stuff, and without much knowledge, with that out much information, probably thinking, you know, even a degree of prejudice, really and not not not racism, but prejudice. I'm better. You know, I've got more. You know that I can help because I know more. But what a load of shit, because you know it's what you know. But the point is, though I will say this, so you keep making these assumptions about things and unless you actually have the courage to put your foot in it, you know, and to put take a step forward and go, well, I don't fucking know, so let me find out. And then you're probably going to get punched in the chest and in the face because you were wrong. You know. That takes a lot of guts, and without sounding like a wank, ride mine myself for having the guts to step up, do you know, even though I knew nothing about what I was doing.
Speaker 1: So that's amazing. That's like, now I love you as well. Now thanks, No, that's that's incredible. I mean, I've never done anything that's fucking important in my whole life, so so you're a hero. How I've got so many questions out of that. Firstly, why are the girls going and getting the water? What the fuck are the boys doing? What was that about?
Speaker 2: That's the way they live. The girls are. The girls do everything. The boys do nothing. So the girls girls go dig for sweet potatoes, they gather the sticks for the stove, they do the cooking, they do they go to the market. The boys do nothing, and they grow up. This is the problem with the men. The men turn into just alcoholics and sit around and beat the women up. They live in one room huts. This is going to sound awful and sorry if this, you know, triggers anyone. But they live in one room mud huts and the men are coming home beating and raping the wives in front of in front of the kids. So the boys think, they all think, is this is how it is? You know, the girls aren't going Oh no, I think there should be a better way to do this, you know, because there's the boys grew up thinking. With our school sponsorship program, which I've just wrapped up this year, but it went for eight years, we put through almost an equal number of boys as girls, and I got a lot of criticism for that. You know, the girls need to get through school and they need to you know, passy, why are we supporting boys? And my answer was because if the boys go through school with the girls under this program, they might respect them. You know, we might actually get some respectful men coming out the other side.
Speaker 1: So that must be a challenge. That must be a challenge because you've got this cultural kind of norm you know, this as horrible and terrible and destructive as it is, I mean, for them growing up that was their version of normal. Yep, Like they wouldn't have known. It's like, like you said, the girls are not sitting around thinking, hey, I reckon, we can do better. I reckon we should push, but like they just are born into that. Yeah, And so I mean what you did is I'm sure there's still a way to go, but it's you know, helping turn that ship around, that cultural, that thinking, that behavioral kind of ship in the opposite direction. I mean that must How does that make you feel when you unpack that many people's lives where you know that for a very long time, that's just how it was.
Speaker 2: It makes me feel good, but I also going to it makes me feel great. But I'm also going to say that for a long time, I didn't feel like it was enough. I had this mentality and I still wish I could, but you know, I wanted to save the world, you know, I wanted to save everyone. Was kind of like, I'm not saving enough people, I'm not impacting enough people. But I've really come to you know, I now have a keynote about what your puzzle piece do? You know? And it's kind of like I've really come to the conclusion and understood now that we've all got a piece of the puzzle to put in, you know, and we all have to do the best we can on that piece of the puzzle, and we simply can't do everything. And that was a hard lesson for me to learn because I was like, well, you know, I've never been to Africa, and yet I was making all these changes, and I was like seeing, wow, this is actually not as hard as people think, you know, to really have a big impact. And so therefore you get a little bit full of yourself and I don't mean egotistically, but kind of like you're not putting a lid on your potential, and you go, fucking hell, I can change. I can do bigger and bigger and bigger. But the truth is you actually end up burnt out with compassion, fatigued, you know, because you start to realize that it's too big for me, and then you start to feel like a failure because now I can't do all the things I wish I could. But and then then you've got to have a really good hard look that go, well, what have you done and how much has that change? And what the bit that you have done has had a big impact. You know, and it's and it's it's done because you did it, and if you didn't do it, it wouldn't be done. So that'll make sense.
Speaker 1: You just gotta so what are the things that what are the either whether or not it's educational or experiential or you know, sociological meetings, encounters with other people? What are the things that informed or influenced like your thinking and your philosophy and your ideology, Like where did that come from? So this this thinking, this perspective, this worldview that you have, how much of that is you DNA and how much of that is situation, circumstance, environment, experience, encounter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a mixture. I was my father is a really big community contributor, His mother was a really big contributor and his father, so I kind of was already seeing that, you know, but I went down the path of being a rock star, you know, living that kind of life, thinking I was in a bit. But because that was the personality of me, is I need people to like me, you know, and that was kind of where and I was a bit of an odd kid, you know, very ass bey, you know, gay, that kind of stuff, which I didn't know when I was a little kid, but I wanted to have friends come around and play bands, you know, with tennis records, and they just wanted to play with my sisters and play dolls, and so I had all these My animals were my best friends, and so I kind of wanted someone to approve of me and like me. And you know, so being a being a muso on stage that was fantastic anyway. And then my second younger sister got cancer, and you know, I ended up working doing the Real Life for Life for the cancer cancel and doing warrigals first event, and it was really successful. And then people were sort of praising me, and this shifted from ego to altruism. I started to realize far out, I've actually got the power to have a really big impact on society and be approved of or noticed for, you know, for doing good stuff, like doing really good stuff for other people. And that kind of got me. It really woke me up to how much power I had that didn't have to be about me. Do you know it actually felt good helping other people without even getting the approval. Does that make I was getting self.
Speaker 1: Approval, Like it's like you have a purpose bigger than you, right, maybe like when it's all about you, your purpose is you, your happiness, your ego being to your instant gratification, all that shit, right, and then and while that feels temporarily good, it still leaves a vacuum. And it's I always say to people, I tried selfishness for a lot. I was really good at it, Like I'm excellent at selfishness because I'm an only child. But it doesn't work, like there's no it doesn't feel that spiritual, emotional kind of well, like you still feel bankrupt because the things that you were doing for yourself is so short lived that then you've got to do another thing, you know, and you've got to find something else. I need another fix, I need more instant gratification. I need, you know, tell me about navigating all of this being on the spectrum like being aspy as you How is that a superpower? Is that? I mean, I know you don't know any other way, but it's like it's like when people say to me, what's it like not having brothers and sisters, I go, I don't know, I've never fucking had them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm not diagnosed, by the way, but but I I think it's great. I think when I was a kid, I always felt different, you know, And I didn't even realize this until I was in my fifties. I honestly didn't even realize. But when I look back and I think, wow, you know I did things my way. You know, I'm a watch it. I call it a multi potential light, you know, jack of all trades. But I'm bloody good at nearly everything. You know. I don't mean that as a wanky thing, but you know, I can just figure out, figure out anything. And I kind of I used to punish myself for being like that, you know, jack of all trades, master of none. You're a bloody dickhead. You know, you haven't got a degree, you haven't got this, You've got no expertise in this. But an actual fact, when I look back, it's it's been wonderful. That aspy thing too. I think, you know, I didn't even notice where people criticizing me. When I think about it, do you know I've had so many When I was a kid, I got my uncle worked at Monash in the in the some research lab or whatever, and he brought me a stethoscope and home from the lab, and I put it round my you know, my neck, and I wore it up and down the street proudly, do you know. And because I was a tomboy, my neighbor called me doctor Tom. And it was a criticism, do you know it was It was a kind of a you know, take the piss out of me. But I thought I was God's gift. I thought I was just so bloody special because people think I'm a real doctor, you know. And I was walking up down the street with this money's there, this go haha.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I may I invented, I invented everything. Invented a guitar string stretcher. But when you take the dirty old strings off your guitar, you know, two bulldog clips at each end, And I actually think it's done me more good than harm. You know, I actually think that i've I haven't. I've had more interest in the thing that interest me than I have had in making friends, if that makes sense. Even though before I said I want people to like me and approve of me, yeah, your friends, you know, I don't know, I got more enjoyment tinkering.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, maybe that's really interesting because I've never thought of this, But like with my research that I'm doing, we need to factor in people who are on the spectrum because people who are autistic or Asperger's or people who you know, they don't always read social cues so well. Right, But the way that you just explained it, it's almost like that can be an advantage because and I think some people who are maybe at the other end of the spectrum that are really super hyper sensitive, like they get offended. They read things into things all the time, and they get offended forty two times a day even though no one's trying to offend them, you know. So I think that walking up and down the street with your stethoscope thinking you're a doctor and people I'm sure some people thought it was cute and awesome and the odd person hung shit on you, but not knowing it's probably not the worst thing.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, exactly, tell.
Speaker 1: Us, Sorry, tell us about your book, sorry to interrupt off the bench, like, tell us about all the thinking behind that philosophy.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was just really simple because I'd done one Planet classrooms and i'd started Girls with Hammers, and I started talking at conferences and the one guy said to me, can you do a workshop? And I said, yeah, what on? He said, how to start a project, And I'm like, I took the piece out of myself. I didn't even I said, why are you asking me? I don't know, and he's just said, o'h come on. Anyway, I did an hour's workshop, and as I was doing it, I was thinking, oh shit, you need to know about funding. Ah shit, you need to know about this, and having this real realization that an hour was not short long enough to talk about how to really kick start a project. So I said to people, gives your email and I'll send you a pdf. I'll write up all this stuff. And I came home and started typing it up, and before I knew it, I had one hundred pages, you know, and I'm like, well, this is a book. Somebody you might as well might as well have this as a book. And I'd already made magnificent kids that book, and I thought, well, I know how to do a book. I might as well just do that. And so you know, if I look back now, I think, God, there's things I would change in that, but I'm not going to because so many people have said to me that was the thing. That book was the thing that got me over the line to kick start my project. And I could hear your voice, You could he hear you saying it to me. And there's another example of I'm not really bound by perfectionism. It's kind of like a lot of people would be caught up in oh, I can't really publish letters a book. It's not perfect, you know. But my thought was, well, why not must well just put it out there and you can have it so and that was thinking beyond myself. That was just thinking for the people at that conference. As long as they've got a book, then that's great. But now I.
Speaker 1: Think that's one of the challenges, right, is we all go to workshops and conferences and seminars and keynotes, and we all listen to podcasts, and we all read books, and we all get lots of data and information and advice and strategies. But if you're still sitting on the metaphoric fucking bench just taking notes and listening, you're not getting like, you're not operationalizing anything, you're not you're not putting anything the ideas into practice. Well, there's going to be no positive change for me. That's one of the I say that almost every workshop and every keynote I've got another keynote tomorrow, and I'll probably say at the end of that, you know, it's like all this stuff is, you know, hopefully a little bit informative and inspiring and educational, but none of it's worth anything if you don't do anything with it. Like knowing what to do is not producing results. Now, knowing what to do is not doing what you know. So I think there's that. Why do you think it is that we have never been more informed or educated or well equipped in terms of online resources, but so many of us still are basically standing at the starting line waiting for some fucking magical sign.
Speaker 2: Well, I reckon, there's five reasons we don't get started, and it's one self doubt, two imposter syndrome, three not knowing where to start, four overwhelmed by the big picture, and five fear so fear of criticism, failure or rejection. And I think those five just sit at the bom of everything. Fear kind of sits underneath all of it. But I just think we just don't do it. I run a leadership program called Confident leaders Program, and if I called it courageous leaders, no one had fucking come, you know, because they think I'll be making them do courageous things. But ultimately, what I talk about in that is confidence is and a lot of people say, oh, have I had your confidence? I wish I had confidence and confidence this and that, because I always see confidence is a big picture. But I always say, if you can, if you've got confidence to take the next step whatever, just do it, like if you've got the ability to. But I have this metaphoring thing, and it's actually a baseball cap. It's not metaphoric. I've got a real one, but other people can't. Haven't got it, You'll have to use a metaphoric one. And it's a baseball cap with c ap on the front. And everyone looks at me, and I use it as a gimmick because I put it on and people are like, you're fucking for real. You've got a cap that says cap like. And I think you're good because you remember me standing up here like a dickhead with this cap cap or And the C is courage, the A is action, and the P is practiced. And I say, if you want to get anything in life, like anything, and you want to become confident, you have to take courageous action and you have to practice, and you have to practice and practice and practice and practice and practice, and you're going to fuck up and fuck the fuck up. But at the bottom of it is it's courageous act and practicing it over and over, you know, and it's I hope people see me in that hat and go what a fucking dickhead, and then they remember it and it's bent into their brain. And I say, just anything you want to try, just pretend think of me and micap and put on your metaphoric caps. I've got my confidence gap on and take courageous action and I'm just going to get started. And none of us know all the steps, Like we just don't know all this, but do you know the next step? Yeah, if you know the next step, take it.
Speaker 1: So yeah. I think also too, like people think that courage is analogous to or synonymous with, fearlessness, and it's actually not at all. It's like, no, like those T shirts and those posters that say no fear, I'm like, fuck those posters and T shirts because I don't know anyone who's got zero fear. Yeah right, No, it's dumb, Like, actually, courage requires fear. You know, you can't be courageous if you're not scared, you know. So it's like, yeah, I know that you're scared. I know it's uncomfortable. I know it's hard. Guess what that's okay. You're allowed to be scared. You're allowed to be uncomfortable, You're allowed to be uncertain, and you're still allowed to do those things that you're terrified of because how you turn down the volume on that fear is by being courageous and leaning in. You know you can't I say this too many times, sorry listeners, but you can't master what you avoid. You can't get good at what you won't do. You know, you're not going to get stronger by fucking hiding under the metaphoric couch for ten years and waiting for everything to work itself out, because it doesn't. You know. So, Hey, you're inspirational. We need to get your back. How do people find you? Follow you, connect with you? Where do they buy your book? Where can they listen to your potty? Give us the quick spiel?
Speaker 2: Basically, the website is Karen Vaughan dot com and Vaughn is an a lot of people spell it wrong. Kubla y n v A U g h A n dot com and I'm also on Instagram, Get off the bench, Facebook, LinkedIn. You can buy the books through the website. That'll do. That's a Karen Vaughan dot com.
Speaker 1: That'll do. Do you ever get down to the thriving metropolis of.
Speaker 2: Melbourne occasionally, very rarely?
Speaker 1: Well, come on, come down coffee with Tiff and I.
Speaker 2: All right, I will. It's three hours for me, but if I'm coming down, I absolutely will. Actually I'm coming down October, but that's a long time away.
Speaker 1: We'll happen in October. Get down before then October. One of us could be dead by then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I will. I'd like that.
Speaker 1: We'll say goodbye affair. But Karen, thanks so much that you're amazing. You know what you are. Here's a term for You've ever heard the term polymath Holly Matt.
Speaker 2: I have heard that, but I can't remember what it is.
Speaker 1: Holly math is a person who knows quite a lot about a lot of things. That's you, Yeah, a bit of an expert, like semi expert in a bunch of stuff. We appreciate you. Thanks for being on the new project.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on. Thank you