Speaker 1: Peedo Kredlin live on Sky News Australia.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening and welcome to the show. Here's what's coming up on credline. Fresh warnings tonight about the extent of alleged corruption on Victoria's big build sites, with revelations the Victorian labor government cave to union pressure on a taxpayer funded project.
Speaker 3: More on that shortly.
Speaker 2: More budget pressure for labor with calls to lift the turnover ceiling and scrap a ten million dollar lifetime cap as part of CGT carveouts for startups. Newpolling and Victoria shows one nation ahead of the major parties. So what does this mean for Premier Deciner Allen's leadership?
Speaker 3: And President Donald Trump is vowing.
Speaker 2: To charge fees to use the straight ofform moos, what impact will this have on Australia.
Speaker 4: I want to hear BURSA because we're protecting a very rich portion of the world. We're spending money and so what we've done is we are going to be reimbursed for protection we're protecting by the countries that we're helping.
Speaker 2: Today's housing headlines should concern every Australian, not just those trying to buy a home, but anyone who already owns one. The ripple effects of Labour's housing overhaul are becoming clearer by the day. The government said the tax changes wouldn't cause a dramatic fall in house prices.
Speaker 3: Here is the Prime Minister.
Speaker 5: Treasury has done modeling which shows that they'll still continue to be an increase, but it will be smaller than it would have been otherwise.
Speaker 3: But today's data tells a very different story.
Speaker 2: Instead of simply growing more slowly, they're plummeting. According to Cotality, property prices in parts of Sydney fell close to ten percent in just three months.
Speaker 3: For homeowners.
Speaker 2: That means years of hard earned equity wiped away in a matter of months, and spare a thought for retirees and downsizes, a group this government too often seems to forget. For many of them, the family home is their retirement plan. It's what they were counting on to fund the next stage of their lives. But when property values fall, so does their buying power. A retiree who could have sold twelve months ago and comfortably moved into a smaller unit may no longer be able to and the financial loss is only part of it. A real estate agent in Greenwich says we need to be talking about the mental health impacts of this downturn.
Speaker 6: We're not hearing a lot about the mental anguish, the stress a distant causing on retirees, older people, and what's happening, particularly on the Upper North Shore mark is twelve months ago they may have been able to downsize if they had a property worth three four million dollars. Now they're losing. They're not even getting two point nine two point five for property, which is having a direct impact on their ability to purchase a second hand or even a new unit, a smaller unit perhaps with no stairs, level living. And the mental anguish and the health concerns that's causing these people, some of them are trying to get into nursing homes is absolutely devastating.
Speaker 3: And the impacts don't end there.
Speaker 2: The Australian newspaper reports today that Australia's two point three million property investors are rapidly changing strategy. Rather than buying established homes, they're turning to new bills, creating a battle for first home buyers. So Australians are once again asking did the government understand the consequences of its own policy? A buyer's agent explained to Mike Levy on two GB why these changes could make it harder for young Australians trying to break into the market.
Speaker 7: Let's just be rich for a second. So I used to buy two million dollar negatively get property, right, be could I chunk take a bit chunk off my tax bill and all elbows thrown a little spanner in for negative gearing. So I'm still rich. I've still got money, but the top end of the market doesn't.
Speaker 8: Make sense anymore.
Speaker 7: So what we're seeing is people are now breaking that up. The rich people are breaking it up into three or four affordable properties and then putting that money into the area where all the first home buyers are. And all of my rich mates they're all doing exactly the same thing. So right now we've got this bit of a lull period where people are just scared of making decisions. And then what's that doing to the affordable end. We've got rents rising in Sydney for fifty dollars a week or fifty dollars already units thirty dollars, So it's going to then make it harder for the normal everyday Australian to save.
Speaker 2: The irony is hard to ignore. Labor wanted to discourage property investors. Instead, many are simply turning their attention away from established homes to new builds, putting them in direct competition with first home buyers. Yet Housing Minister Clara O'Neil insists changes will help out those first home buyers.
Speaker 5: What the budget changes do do is put first home buyers on a level playing field for the first time. We've got home ownership rates for young people around this country crashing through the floor, and our government is stepping up and making real change to give first time buyers a shot they deserve.
Speaker 2: But if the goal was to make housing more affordable, has it actually worked? House prices might be falling, but affordability isn't just about the sticker price of a home. It's about whether Australians can actually save a deposit, get a mortgage and compete in a market where demands still far outweigh supply. Senator Andrew Bragg says that's exactly.
Speaker 3: What this debate is missing.
Speaker 9: And now house prices are too high from a young person's perspectively, no doubt about that. And all this is going to do is highlight that young people can't afford to buy these houses.
Speaker 10: So ultimately you're satisfied in seeing house prices declining.
Speaker 9: If that's going to help young people get in, then that's a good thing. But I make the point that it's not about the actual price, it's about affordability, and affordability has been smashed by this government because they've let almost two million people into the country and they've only built about six hundred thousand house It doesn't.
Speaker 3: And that's the reality.
Speaker 2: Unless Australia builds enough homes to keep up with population growth, young Australians will still struggle to buy one. Housing isn't just another political issue. It is the single biggest store of wealth in this country. Around thirteen trillion dollars is tied up in residential property. That's more than Australians hold in superannuation shares and commercial property combined. So when governments fundamentally change the housing market, the consequences don't stop at home values.
Speaker 3: It ripples through the entire economy.
Speaker 11: There's a reality here, and that is the wealth effect of home prices. If home prices established, home prices are falling, Australians spends They spend less on furniture, on cars, on home renovations, on a whole range of things. Home Builders don't build when home prices are falling, and the reason is because there is no buying demand out there to buy those times, and so therefore the impact on the economy can be especially done.
Speaker 2: That's why housing policy is too important to experiment with, because when governments get it wrong, Australians pay the price. What I'm about to discuss is deeply confronting. It involves the alleged abuse of children in childcare centers. But it's a conversation. We must have today's headlines name another alleged childcare offender. How was our system allowed this to potentially happen again? Parents would have read these headlines today and then done something almost imaginable. They still had to drop their children at childcare and go to work because for most Australian families today, two incomes aren't a luxury, it's a necessity. Parents leave their children at childcare believing they're in the safest possible hands.
Speaker 3: I know that feeling.
Speaker 2: I've dropped my two boys at childcare in the past and had to drive to work. Every parent does that. That trust is sacred, and when that trust is allegedly broken, the consequences last a lifetime. The man at the center of today's headlines is facing more than three hundred and twenty charges over his alleged abuse.
Speaker 3: Of one hundred and fifty children.
Speaker 2: Police say he worked at more than sixty childcare centers during his career, with the alleged abuse occurring at ten of those places.
Speaker 12: The abuse of trust we alleged has occurred is devastating and will have life long ramifications for victims and their families. All I can say is we never gave up and we never will.
Speaker 2: But how does someone move through that many workplaces without the system stopping them? And this isn't the first time serious questions have been raised about Australia's childcare system. Just last week, another childcare worker was jailed for sexual offenses against nine children, and we all remember the horrific allegations that rocked Melbourne's childcare sector last year. At some point we must stop simply reacting to these stories and start fixing the system that allows them to happen. This tragedy also exposes something else. Australia has become heavily reliant on large childcare centers. Parents need more options for care, whether that's nanny's, grandparents.
Speaker 3: Or home based careers.
Speaker 2: Governments must do more to give families choice rather than forcing everyone into the same system. Childcare choice advocate von Hosking says the news is hard for parents.
Speaker 13: This is one of the worst alleged childcare abuse cases in Australia's history and it's a gut punch to every single family who's had no option but to trust the system.
Speaker 3: Parents to serve better.
Speaker 13: Children deserve better.
Speaker 3: And missus Hoskin is right.
Speaker 2: We must do everything possible to protect children because if we're not, then we cannot keep pretending this system is working.
Speaker 14: Well.
Speaker 3: Let's said to Canberra Now.
Speaker 2: For tonight's political headlines were Sky Near's political reporter cam.
Speaker 15: Redden Good Evening Opposition leader Angus Taylor says he's not conflicted about whether to criticize one Nation, but is stopping short of declaring outright war on the party.
Speaker 8: I say what I say about one nation with a heavy heart. Frankly, I say it with a heavy heart. Why Well, the reason well, because I know many of the good people I want voting for us I have, so you're inflicted when they're taking here I am. I am not conflicted. They do not have a plan for the future of this country.
Speaker 15: The Prime Minister will tomorrow deliver a landmark speech on artificial intelligence. It's being billed as his most significant address on the issue.
Speaker 16: One of the concerns I have is when the Prime Minister makes his statement tomorrow, he'll move the country towards too much regulation.
Speaker 15: The government has been facing calls from Australian creatives like artists and musicians, who argue the big tech companies have been ripping off their work to train AI models without sufficient compensation.
Speaker 5: The Abanez government is committed to the robust copyright framework that Australia enjoys.
Speaker 15: Cameron Reddin's Sky News Canberra.
Speaker 2: Another busy week in news and who better to look under the bonnet than Sky News political editor Andrew Clenell, Andrew, great to see you.
Speaker 3: Let's start now with the straight of horn.
Speaker 2: Moves, because both the oppice position and the Government have been very swift to pretty much condemn President Trump's idea about this twenty percent levy on ships that are going through the Strait of Horror moves. Dan teen has urged the Prime Minister to flag the concerns directly with the White House. But when you hear comments like that, in all honesty, would Donald Trump listened to anything that we had to say when it came to a comment regarding tariffs and levies in the strait of Horn moves?
Speaker 17: Well, that's why I think, Anthony Albenize, you'll stay out of it. But is it just an idle threat? I mean, you've got to wonder that, especially when it's a social media post by Donald Trump. He he throws these things out there. You've got to take it a little less literally than we're accustomed to in political reporting.
Speaker 1: I think, and I think it is just.
Speaker 17: A threat out there, you know, kind of a flash in his head saying that. I mean, it's exactly what Iram was condemned for suggesting a similar proposal. So the international community is not going to cop that. But it illustrates the mess that the situation's created. I mean, we were in a situation where we kind of thought the petrol prices are going to come down, the XIS cut can come off. The government kept it halfway because they said, you know, this thing might not be over yet. And sure enough at eight and you know, the suspicion is now it could still go for another few months. So perhaps we all celebrated early on the war to concern.
Speaker 2: Well, the government has said that we shouldn't worry when it comes to fuel. What are some of the things that you're hearing? Are they quietly a lot more concerned when it comes to Bowen and out fuel resources and imports.
Speaker 17: I think it's one of those things where they've done the work, so for three months it's okay. After that though, surely they're worried. So that's that's kind of what we're looking at. And so you know it can't go on forever. But I think if it goes on another two or three months, were okay, But gee, it's a locker room situation than it was a week ago, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Well let's come to some domestic issue now, and one in particular, Andrew.
Speaker 3: We are still talking about this budget and it is now months on the latest.
Speaker 2: Is Labor now under pressure to dramatically lift the turnover ceiling and scrap the ten million lifetime cap and this is around its capital gains tax carve.
Speaker 3: Out for startups?
Speaker 2: What are you hearing when it comes to this and are they likely to do more changes as well.
Speaker 1: I think that will do more changes, And I think it's.
Speaker 17: A it's messy because it should be sort of by now you've had legislation through.
Speaker 1: Now they sort of put out this options paper.
Speaker 17: I mean, it all feels a bit us about, if I can use that term, really, I mean, this is why traditionally, you like John Howard did a big GST lock up, then he did a budget. You know, they say, well, a lot of changes made to the GST, but these seem somewhat more significant. And then we had the Henry Tax review. You've got that proposals all out there and open, and during that period people can come up with holes in it, you know. But if you sort of have just a few little leaks come out and then whack it in a budget on budget night, this is fact, this is happening, that's where you get issues. And it did appear like until there was stories a couple of days before the budget, they hadn't really thought of startups because they changed the capital gains system so you can claim indexation, but startups start from zero. It has no value to start with, so they can't claim indexation. And that was always a problem. So then oh, okay, we're going to exempt startups. But then all these conditions and they're very contentious, So I mean, you know, we know one thing for sure, people are going to lose out. Business is going to lose out. That's probably not good for the economy. It does make you sort of wonder would they have been better off just doing the negative gearing change, not the capital gains change? Have they bitten off more than they can chew with capital gains tax because it doesn't just affect property because of rate rises, the property markets on the way down anyway. That's good for first time buyers, but it's not going to be popular with many Australians or for homeowners.
Speaker 1: It does appear messy.
Speaker 17: But despite this, largely because the opposition isn't performing that well and one nation's threatening them, the government's still in front. So I feel like they will feel that they've got away with it to some extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I find fascinating right now when we look at polling.
Speaker 18: Now.
Speaker 2: I know this is obviously you don't take everything as biblical when you see different.
Speaker 3: Poles, but I find it's so.
Speaker 2: Interesting that labour doesn't really seem to be too scathed by what's going on at the moment. Let's not forget the Prime Minister lied repeatedly about these tax changes and he seems to just be going on untouched and one of these unforeseen consequences. I think of what's coming with this budget. You just mentioned, house price is going down. The first home buyers aren't getting into the market like the Prime Minister said that they would. Do you think that they would be looking at changing some of the aspects when it comes to housing because of the collapse that we're seeing, or they'll just sit back and let the market, to their point, correct itself.
Speaker 1: Yes, or they have to step in.
Speaker 17: I think they'll do that, and I think that they look quite cleverly really at the political cycle and they'll know it's two years out, so they'll just hope that their hope is it's all forgotten by them and as possible, other issues will take over. You may have that slump and then you may have rates go down as they started to do before the last election. They may time it perfectly and then prices go up, so they may have some luck on that front. It's a gamble and I don't think it's been handled smoothly at all. You see that from the back down and now all this messy stuff that's occurring. But I think they could well get away with it, particularly unless the opposition lifts its game. And I think this is you know, they say governments lose elections, oppositions don't win them, but I think this puts the to that because it shows that you know, you're never going to look as good as the incumbent. There's a massive advantage with incumbency, but you've got to present as something that does capture the imagination of people. And that's Angus Taylor's challenge. It's a big challenge for him, particularly with Andrew Hasty breathing down his.
Speaker 2: Neck, and also to your point, reminding voters leading into the next election about the promises that were broken so that these this period is not forgotten. Before I let you go, I do want to get your thoughts about this scathing attack that was in the paper today by National's federal president Andrew Fraser.
Speaker 3: So he's pretty much.
Speaker 2: Declared war on Barnaby Joyce and he's labeled Barnaby as disgusting and warned the party will win against one nation. Now, is this just political retric or. Is this a legitimate warning from the NATS.
Speaker 17: Well, if you went out there and asked your viewers, who's Andrew Fraser and who's Barnaby Joyce, Barnaby Joyce is going to win that hands down. Andrew Fraser was the stadium p for Coss Harbor for me years. He was famous for chasing Joe Tripodi around the chamber and trying to strangle him. He said I've only had a couple of wines and said he wanted to be breath tested. So, I mean Andrew Fraser fair enough, he's had a crack. But I think all it shows is how fearful they are of losing their seats to Barnaby Joyce in one nation and with some justification.
Speaker 1: So that's that's kind of where I see it. It's a real challenge.
Speaker 19: For the NATS.
Speaker 17: They probably picked the best person they could in Canavan as someone who can who's got a bit of charisma and can get stuck in. But there's something about Joyce I've got. Even even when he stuffs up when you interview him, he's just got He just talks outside the talking points, and this is what Canavan's trying to do.
Speaker 1: To and to some effect.
Speaker 17: But Joyce just has terms of phrase that the kind of people like, and he doesn't have the responsibility. Now he's got to be an alternative government.
Speaker 3: So and he's entertaining, he's entertaining.
Speaker 1: He's getting the attention, so's Pauline.
Speaker 17: The challenges you know, can Angus Taylor be spotted in a lineup or even Matt Canavan And that's the challenge for them over the next six to twelve months because one Nation has the jump on them there. One Nation's problems more is they're going to make political mistakes which are going to have people scratching their heads and going maybe not, but they are getting the attention that the Liberals and Nationals so desperately craven need.
Speaker 2: And that's why I think the Coalition need to not attack one nation. Just let them stand back and one Nation make the mistakes and they can be out there and do it and the Coalition can just stand there and prove why they are the stronger opposition.
Speaker 3: Andrew clen now, thank you so much for your time tonight.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I want to head down now to Victoria.
Speaker 2: And while there was news of a dip in support for One Nation, federally yesterday. It's not reflected in the Garden State, with another new poll showing the minor Party is ahead of Labor and the Coalition.
Speaker 3: A poll of six thousand, five.
Speaker 2: Hundred Victorians conducted over the past fortnite found One Nation leading both major parties on a statewide primary vote of twenty seven percent. Labor and the Coalition were tired at twenty six percent, with the Greens on twelve percent and other parties on eight. Here to offer us his insights is Victorian political editor for The Australian Anthony Galloway. Anthony, welcome. There's certainly been plenty of talk around the easing of that popularity surge towards One Nation, but it doesn't appear to be happening in Victoria.
Speaker 3: But the clock is ticking. You're at the coal face here.
Speaker 2: You've spoken to insiders from both sides of the chamber.
Speaker 3: What are you hearing?
Speaker 16: Oh, you're right, it's I mean One Nation at twenty seven percent and the two majors at twenty six percent. A massive sample size of six thousand, five hundred which the poll. Interestingly, the poll was commissioned by Victorian tra Ads Hall Council which is the peak union body in Victoria, and union chiefs were all brought in to Trades Hall today and they were briefed on the results. Given the sample size, there was quite a significant what's called an MRP which goes into predicting the result in individual seats based off preference flows. I understand for Labor it was quite dire in Melbourne's eastern suburbs. It's in the Eastern suburbs and the kind of sand belt of Melbourne where most of the Labor health seats are that the Coalition need to win at the November election. But the coalition's primary at twenty six percent is still too low to form majority government. But looking at it, there's no way Labour can form any kind of government on a statewide primary of twenty six percent. The coalition can because the preferences from one nation are likely going to float their way. Labour needs a primary of at least thirty percent. I'm told by both sides to have any chance of holding on to government.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go to justinter Allen's leadership. And there's certainly a lot of speculation around her at the moment, and one of those is that she's being propped up and protected by powerful Union figures. Now, obviously Labor will deny this, but just how tangible is the Union's influence over the government.
Speaker 16: Well, I think you're referring to an interesting Herald Sun piece this week on the ETU in Victoria and the State Secretary Troy Gray, who's a significant part of Justinter Allen's power base. I mean, you don't. You can't get the leadership of the Labor Party state or federal without having some kind of power base within the Union movement. It's important to note Justinter Allen came into State Parliament in nineteen ninety nine with the support of the ETU. She is an ETU MP. I'm told the ETU in Victoria and Troy Gray will go down with just Cintra Allen, even if the party room decide to roll the premiere, which I think is still a possibility when Parliament returns later this month and next month. I think I'm told the ETU will go down with Alan. She is one of their MPs. She's really delivered for the ETU. She didn't ban duck hunting, which the e TOU didn't want. She didn't go ahead with a gun guy gun buyback which was really important to EU members. And at the recent state conference she announced two thousand more electrical apprenticeships for this state Electrical Commission. So that's basically two thousand extra ETU members. So she's delivered for them. They'll all in all likelihood go down with her if need be.
Speaker 2: And Anthony, how much do you think these allegations though that are surrounding justinter Allen is impacting her within her party, but also are just amongst voters. When you're out around talking to different people, what are you hearing?
Speaker 16: I think the CFM you construction scandal, the the infiltration of organized crime and biking gangs on big build taxpayer funded projects has really started filtering through to the average Victorian. It's something that's just anecdotally mentioned by voters now both sides tell me in focus groups it's you know, the words corruption and CFME you and now are now being raised unprompted by by swinging voters. Labor knows it's a huge issue.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 16: The biggest probably probably the biggest issue for the premier is infrastructure spending used to be Victorian Labour's biggest asset that built a lot of things, whether it's roads, rail hospitals. Uh, you know, no one can deny that that has been an asset for Daniel Andrews and then Jacina Allen. They can't talk about the big build program anymore because of this Union corruption scandal and Anthony.
Speaker 2: Just quickly before I let you go, Jess Wilson has been on a regional tour. But how much work do the Libs really need to do to be able to win in November?
Speaker 16: Well, I mean, based on the polling, they would be winning in minority government at the moment. So I think the challenge for Jess Wilson is to get that primary from twenty let's take this Red Bridge Pole as fact, twenty six percent. It needs to get to at least thirty percent and beyond to be in any kind of position to be forming majority government. I'm told Jess Wilson is a real asset. Wherever she goes in the state, people like her, voters like her. She's doing some really interesting things on social media. But this kind of surge of one Nation, which is really a national problem that has just kind of hit Jess Wilson through no fauld of her own, has really complicated her path to majority government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll certainly be watching very closely in the lead up to November. Anthony, thank you for your time tonight after the break distressing news in the childcare sector as a worker is charged with alleged three hundred and twenty offenses. But what's been the response from the government and universities will face the Royal Commission tomorrow to look at their impact on the rise of anti Semitism in Australia.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It's great to have your company coming up, the warning from business CEOs over Victoria's looming.
Speaker 3: Work from home legislation.
Speaker 2: But now to the renewed fears around the impact of the re escalation of the war in the Middle East and what it could mean for everyday Australians.
Speaker 3: I'm joined by.
Speaker 2: Liberal Deputy leader and Victorian Senator Jane Hume.
Speaker 3: Jane, it's great to see you, dear, is you t as well?
Speaker 2: We will touch on ARAM briefly, but I do want to start with the CFMU and some of the reports that are coming out today, and in particular it was around a former senior official who oversaw the redevelopment of Victorian Hospital. Now this person says the State Labor government intervened in the taxpayer funded project to pressure public servants to sack a company that attracted the disapproval of the CFMU. Now, I know this is predominantly a state based issue, but as a Victorian senator, how deep does this alleged corruption go.
Speaker 20: Well, this is the problem, Jamie. It's not just a state based issue. It was only two weeks ago that the Prime Minister was.
Speaker 19: Asked whether any Commonwealth.
Speaker 20: Taxpayer money had gone to projects that had then been passed on to criminals, and he said that he had sought assurances from Premier Justinto Allen that that was the case.
Speaker 19: Of course, he said, of course I have.
Speaker 20: Now the problem is every single day we have a new allegation of corruption, and Labour simply shrugs its shoulders and said there's nothing to see here. Today's revelations are quite extraordinary.
Speaker 19: This is a senior bureaucrat in a.
Speaker 20: Victorian health building authority that says that he was pressured by the government to remove a subcontractor from a site because that subcontractor was in some sort of dispute with the CFMU. So the government was actually actively involved in that decision making and pressuring a bureaucrat to make a decision. It's quite extraordinary, and this bureaucrat has said that he's happy to testify that that's the case. Now when asked about it, Premier de cinter Allen has said, oh, actually, no, that's not the case.
Speaker 19: There's no basis for that claim.
Speaker 20: However, her own Health Infrastructure Minister clearly isn't satisfied with that, because she's gone on now to write a letter to that authority to seek assurances that corrupt behavior is not continuing and that the government is not involved. So there's the left hand isn't talking to the right hand, or the left faction isn't talking to the right faction in the Victorian Labor Party, because clearly the government has been involved in this process, in this corruption that is so deep seated, so deep rooted in construction in Victoria, and it's all tax pays, not just Victorian tax pays that are paying the price because that site received Commonwealth funds, which is completely different to the assurances that apparently the Prime Minister has received from cinter Allen.
Speaker 3: No wonder.
Speaker 2: Jess Wilson and the Coalition in Victoria calling for a Royal commission into some of these projects of what's going on, just to get some answers and see where there was any of this election CROs.
Speaker 20: It seems that in Victoria a royal commission really is the only appropriate solution. Now some states have taken control of this. Queensland is a very good sample. They have a Commission of Inquiry that's going on up there. And even today we heard allegations that the Master Builder's former Marchter Builders CEO had been so intimidated by the CFMU that he had considered taking his own life that they were camping outside his office with you know, people dressed up as the Grim Reaper, fake coffins. I mean, this is the kind of bullying and intimidation that just simply can't be allowed on work sites. And at the same time, we're now you know, it's taxpayers that end up paying the price for this. We are paying over the odds for this corrupt union to be on infrastructure sites that are building buildings, that are building bridges, that are building roads that Australia needs. But we simply can't allow it to continue. Now, my colleague Senator Maria Kovacic has put out a petition to suggest that perhaps at a federal level. If the government doesn't want a royal commission, Okay, we'll have a Senate inquiry into corruption the construction and building industry. And I think that's perfectly fair and reasonable. Yes, she's had fifty thousand people signed that petition, fifty thousand, which is quite extraordinary because people know when corruption exists, it's taxpayers.
Speaker 19: That end up putting the bill. But the government is resisting.
Speaker 2: I want to move on now to there's a few other issues I want to get through with you, just very briefly. Obviously, the war in Iran has teed off again, and we're hearing reports that President Donald Trump wants to now put in a levee for ships to be able to go.
Speaker 3: Through the Strait of hor Moves.
Speaker 2: But the government has said that we don't need to worry that our stocks and are all fine.
Speaker 19: What do you think, Well, we're not hearing that from farmers.
Speaker 20: They're very concerned with September plantings coming up, that they won't have the fuel and.
Speaker 19: Fertilizer that they need.
Speaker 20: We always knew that this was going to be a fragile piece, but at the same time, we don't support a President Trump's idea of a tariff or a levee on the passage through the straits of the Moose. We would like to see peace talks continue. We would like to see an end to hostilities, but of course that's really in Iran's court now they have the ability to bring all hostilities to an end, but and open up the straits of a moose.
Speaker 19: That's what we would like to see.
Speaker 2: Or if Albo and Donald Trump had a better relationship, you might better pick up the phone.
Speaker 20: And he isn't it I mean, wouldn't we like to know exactly what you what representations have been made by the government to their US counterparts.
Speaker 19: This is a big deal.
Speaker 20: We want to make sure that we don't add costs to shipping. We wanted to remove costs to shipping, which is why we want the straits open in the first place.
Speaker 2: Now, Senator, I want to talk to you about a distressing headline today that really hit me and I found myself actually feeling really sad and distressed when I was reading about it.
Speaker 3: And it is the childcare.
Speaker 2: Sector where another worker has been charged with more than three hundred and twenty alleged defenses. Now, obviously that matter will be left with the court to resolve.
Speaker 3: But I couldn't help.
Speaker 2: But think it's like this where a parent read that headline and had to put their kids in the car and drop them at childcare and go off to work and just hope that they were being in well looked after. And I just thought, we're in Australia in twenty twenty six and families still just don't have any choices when it comes to care.
Speaker 3: And I know that the coalition.
Speaker 2: Created that role choice for childcare, but what will a coalition government do to help with this situation?
Speaker 20: Yeah, this really is every parent's worst nightmarre, isn't it. I feel for the families that are involved. Obviously it's got a long way to play out. But from a government's perspective, there's probably two issues. One is how we can create an environment where we know that children are safe in care, whether it be at childcare, whether it be whether you leave your child with at a childcare center or another form of family day care, whatever it might be, that parents can be confident that their children have been well looked after, appropriately looked after.
Speaker 19: That's probably number one.
Speaker 20: But we also want to make sure that children that parents have the opportunity to choose the right form of childcare for their family. There are lots of different kinds of childcare. This one size fits all of the government really isn't working. I'm not saying that all children are at risk there, don't get me wrong, but this simply isn't a model that suits every family that we're now seeing childcare deserts. There are towns that simply can't get access to childcare. Something's got to give. It's also hugely expensive. It's one of the fastest growing expenditures on the budget bottom line.
Speaker 19: So we want to see more choice in childcare.
Speaker 20: That's something that the culture have been talking about internally for some time.
Speaker 19: We do.
Speaker 20: You're right, have a shadow Minister for choice in childcare. I think that's really important. There's one more aspect though that I think has been missed in all of this, and that's the industrial relations aspect, which falls under my portfolio. There was a Senate inquiry recently into quality and safety in childcare after some of the original allegations of a similar situation in Melbourne, and one of the findings of that inquiry was that childcare centers that might have suspected a worker of inappropriate behavior feared dismissing those workers in case there was an unfair dismissal allegation or they breached some fair work protections.
Speaker 19: Now that's a.
Speaker 20: Genuine concern because what you then find is potentially a childcare worker gets moved between sites rather than removed from the system entirely, and that puts children at risks. We want to make sure that our industrial relation settings work in conjunction with child safety obligations.
Speaker 2: It's something that really needs to have a focus on. So this is something a good opportunity for the Coalition I think to come out with some strong policies around it.
Speaker 3: Senator, thank you so much for your time tonight.
Speaker 19: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well after the break backlash from the business sector around Premier just inter work from home laws. Well, coming up the US Congress will vote on whether to make daylight savings permanent.
Speaker 3: Is this something Australia should also do? But now to the.
Speaker 2: Survey which has exposed a major backlash from Victorian businesses over the Allen Government's work from home laws, with almost half warning they'll take their investment into state. Tim Piper is the head of Australian industry groups, confectionery sector, and part of coalition of Peak employer groups which launched a ten point plan they believe will make the legislation more workable, and he joins me. Now, Tim, welcome, let's start with this survey that shows almost half of businesses say they're going to likely invest outside of Victoria. This seriously undermines jobs and economic growth in the state, doesn't.
Speaker 18: It, Well, Jamie, Big and small companies want to be welcome in their state and they want to be involved in whatever economic activity there is. But if you are discouraging investment, and you're discouraging people from the next stage of anything they want to do with their business, then that can't be good for us. But what really means is that companies are going to stay in Victoria. I mean, they're ensconced here. They've got a lot of investment here, so they don't really want to move. But it's the next stage. It's the next level of investment that they might be making. And if they need to have projects done where they need to have somebody working five days a week for four weeks or six weeks or ten weeks, whatever it might be, this legislation won't enable them to do that. So what we're concerned about is that the companies just won't feel that they're welcome and they'll be looking elsewhere. And the other alternative that we worry about is not just interstate workers getting more work than we do in Victoria, but also the possibility of them looking overseas, because I guess if you can work from home from Victoria, you can work from home from overseas. And companies are already looking at ways that they can reduce the costs to themselves.
Speaker 2: That's a very good point, Tim, And I guess another aspect of this is the premiers said legislating this work from home is going to boost productivity. But if businesses are already offering flexible arrangements voluntarily, shouldn't the government just back off and just leave it up to the employers of what suits their business the.
Speaker 18: Best, Jamie. We think that most employers now are already providing that flexibility to employees. In fact, we think about eight out of ten of those that can reasonably get this flexibility are already getting it. And in many circumstances we're finding, you know, there contracts that have already been drawn up, agreements where you get one, two, even three days working from home each week, which enables people to have that flexibility. I guess that's the point we're making. We're trying to get amendments to this bill. The bill at the moment is really troubling us and we think will cause enormous problems for employers. For example, at the moment, if you've got a contract with an employee, it might be that they have two days working from home, it could be that that could be stacked on top of the legislation, so not just having two days working from home, they could have the two days agreed best part of the agreement with the employer, plus two days as part of the legislation, So they could be having four days working from home as a result of this legislation, which we don't think is good. Obviously, we don't think that that is what is intended. It's certainly not good for the economy and employees absolutely don't want that.
Speaker 2: And another element to this too, and warnings are rising about it, is that these laws are going to make employers less likely to hire the young and inexperienced workers who actually need face to face mentoring. Has that been factored into just inter Allen's decision at.
Speaker 18: All, having those young people and any any of us, but the young people in particular need to be working face to face very much in their early stages, so they can look at us all. They can see what managing people's like. They can see the good, the bad, and the ugly and then decide for themselves how they're going to operate. I think the bosses will be looking for those people that are under their nose, if you like, that are working from the office, working from wherever they can be on the employment site, and the bosses are going to be looking to them to be showing their wares to be able to progress, to.
Speaker 1: Be able to get promotion.
Speaker 18: And the more often that you're with people that have that opportunity to promote you, the more likely you are to be So I want the young workers to be able to benefit from having a couple of days at home, perhaps or a day a week from home, but spending most of their time in the office where they actually get a feel of what it's like being in the workforce. And I think into the future, the ability to manage people is going to be a significant factor that bosses are going to be looking for for their people when they're promoting and when they're looking for other people to employ. So I think it's benefits all the employees to be actually in the office to a very great extent. That might mean they have a day or two at home working from home, but nothing more than that. And that's what we're really concerned about. Making sure the amendments that can be created, not the change the bill, not to stop the legislation going through, just make it sensible so it's workable for both employers and employees.
Speaker 2: Well, Tim Piper, you speak a lot of sense. I hope the Allen government is paying attention. Thank you for coming on. Well, coming up, the E Safety Commission says tech giants have allowed gaps in detecting and preventing child sexual exploitation and abuse and should the anthem be played on Australia day before the Big Bash Final.
Speaker 3: That's next. Oh, welcome back.
Speaker 2: It's time to bring in tonight's panel, political commentator Roe Knox and New South Wales Independent MP Tanya Mahileek.
Speaker 3: Welcome ladies, it's great to see you both. Let's start with today's polling that's come out of Victoria and.
Speaker 2: It does show one Nation, ahead of both the Labor and the Coalition. But the interesting element of this, though, is the preferred premiere response now just Cinter Allen is crashing down at twenty four percent, with Jess Wilson up around the past the forty percent mark.
Speaker 3: Tanya, when do you think.
Speaker 2: LABEL will get to the point where they think, all right, we need to replace Jacinta going into November or it's going to be a blood bath.
Speaker 3: Well, you never know with Labor.
Speaker 14: When they replaced Gillard with Kevin Rudd, that was ten weeks before federal election, So you never say never with Labor. But I've got to say I think they're pretty much stuck with the center Allan at this stage. I think with four months left to the election, it would be very bad form at this point to try and move her on. But also she's a member of the Socialist Left and she controls the numbers the Socialists Left control Victoria Labor, and I can't see who would try and oust her. It won't be somebody within her own faction. And in the end, unless she falls on a sord and decides to go herself, I don't think there'll be any appetite within the Labor circles of Victoria to try and actually move her on, so they'll just live with her.
Speaker 3: In reality, I think a year.
Speaker 14: Ago there was talk and lots of sort of discussion about her going back then and they decided not to do that. They've stuck with her despite the toxicity that surrounds Allen and her government. In the end, you've got Premier Chris Mins and his cabinet essentially have an unwritten rule where they don't do any collaboration or any work with Victoria Labor. They sort of bypassed Victoria and head over to Malanascas and South Australia whenever they want to do a media op. And recently Alberanizi has now sort of seems to have walked away from just sent to Allen. So I think Victoria Labor is unfortunately in a position where they've come to the reality that they'll have to stick with her. What's given them some hope and interesting you mentioned one nation is the fact that one nation polling is rising Victoria, and what Labor is hoping for is for the right to divide in Victoria, for the coalition and for one nation to divide and Labor you know scraped through in the middle.
Speaker 2: You know, Rotania does make a good point because this is the constant discussion, isn't it about that fractured right side of the vote? Jess Wilson, I think is incredibly impressive. But do you think she just needs to work out a deal. I don't know who with because there is no one nation Victorian leader. But what do you think the solution is here?
Speaker 10: So, I mean, Jesse is obviously an absolute sleepstar. She's such a clear leader. She's working so hard, She's going the length and breadth of the state of Victoria. The issue she has is she's got to hold on to the twenty nine seats that she has at the moment, and then she needs an additional sixteen. And the concern about formalizing a relationship with one nation this far out when they jammy, as you said, they don't have a leader in Victoria yet they only have one candidate in the field, might be very risky in those twenty nine seats she's trying to hold, and even in her own seat of Q SO, I think she's doing a very good job of not denigrading one nation because when you do that, you're also denigrating all the voters, and we saw from that polling that are all looking at one nation. And she's also doing a good job of not formalizing anything until she knows what she has on her hands.
Speaker 2: I want to move on now to this E Safety Commissioner because Julian mcgrant has come out saying companies like Apple, Discord, Google, Meta, Microsoft WhatsApp have continued to allowed gaps when it's come to detecting and prevent her in child sexual exploitation on their platforms. But does it show, though, that the commissioner still doesn't have the powers to actually hold these tech giants to account.
Speaker 14: How do you think you can give all the powers you want to the Safety commissioner. How do you hold the massive, huge tech to heint's accountable. I think it's almost impossible. I think that a lot of these companies play us for fools. Really, they know that they're not integrating any of the legislation that's been moved in the last twelve months federally in relation to E safety. And no matter what money you pour into the Safety Commissioner or whatever type of resources or legislative changes that you make, I think ultimately the tech giants will just do whatever they see fit.
Speaker 2: Bro An interesting vote is going on in the US Congress about whether to make daylight savings a permanent fixture, and I feel like that's always debated here.
Speaker 3: What do you think should we be following suit?
Speaker 10: Yes, I mean, obviously this is a constant debate in the US. I actually liked I think there's one senator who's proposing a sort of middle ground where you have a standard time, which is essentially a balance between daylight savings and non daylight savings. So it means you have less day less nighttime hours, but you also don't have some parts of the country which would be without daylight savings that would have kids going to school in the dark. So I think they'll probably end up with some sort of compromised position. But they had this argument I think in twenty twenty two they continually have it.
Speaker 3: It's the same as US.
Speaker 2: And just very quickly before I let you both go, black tie and a wedding. Apparently it's no longer the done deal thing anymore.
Speaker 3: Cocktail never seen one.
Speaker 14: Everyone no black tie out in southwest western Sydney.
Speaker 15: Guys.
Speaker 2: Well, Broh, you and I both had black tie both we can't be in this conversation. I appreciate you both coming in tonight, and thank you for your company this evening. You'll see me again here tomorrow at six o'clock. The bolt report is up next