Speaker 1: Hi, everyone. Before we get into this episode of Perfect Alibi. In the previous episode we misattributed some police audio to Danielle Phillips. We fixed that up and are sorry for the error.
Speaker 2: This court has now resumed, Please be seated. The next meet witness mister Murphy is on the phone.
Speaker 3: Thank you, miss Murphy.
Speaker 1: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Good morning, It's Murphy. My name is Edyvy State Pina Gallagher.
Speaker 3: Would you like to take an oak or make an affirmation?
Speaker 4: I'll turn you over to take it.
Speaker 5: In a Brisbane Coroner's court in twenty twenty two, Brian the Skull Murphy is about to give evidence. He's dialing in from Melbourne. This is the second inquest into Les's disappearance. The first coroner delivered an open finding, not ruling one way or the other if Les was dead or alive, but after the skull came forward to Queensland Police, Detective Liz mc norton concluded that David Phillips was the only one with the means and motive to murder Les, triggering the second in quest because, according to the skull, David confessed to Les's murder.
Speaker 2: So tell us again the words that he said to you, to the best of your memory about what he did to his father in law.
Speaker 4: He in the shed, call me, what of you virtually thinking to his father Rogan? Then? Or of it?
Speaker 2: Okay? And you've also said something like he nearly pulled his.
Speaker 4: Windpiebut again in such a trading, I had him by the dragged up against the war, and but he got it. It won't buy every shrow.
Speaker 5: In case he didn't get all that, because the audio is not great. The skull says he got him in the shed and beat the shit out of him, gave him such a thrashing so bad it nearly pulled his windpipe out. The skull's testimony is extraordinary, but it's what David apparently told him next that verges on the unbelievable. According to the skull, after the attack, David went down to the local pub and found someone that looked like Les to help him dispose of Le's body because the neighborhood Sticky Beak, who lived across the road, was permanently looking out her window waving hello to her neighbors, and David told the skull that's exactly what happened the night he murdered Leeds. The one person neighborhood Watch committee waved to Les's doppelganger as he and David drove away with Lezer's body. Detectives did speak to some neighbors, but they didn't take written statements, so we don't know how many people they contacted or what they said.
Speaker 4: That before I put him in and then, like the old work to bud them, an tel track a part of the railway left it there.
Speaker 2: Okay, prep me, it's not getting it wrong.
Speaker 6: But David killed Las, and then he went down to the pub. I found someone who looked remarkably like Leaves.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yep? That's correct.
Speaker 2: Did he say that have you met this like before?
Speaker 6: Nor so?
Speaker 2: Does some gime it looked like Les happens to be the pub?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then it took this guy and this guy's unknown person helped him bury Les, correct, and then he David killed the unknown person.
Speaker 4: From the pub.
Speaker 2: That's right, And he buried him as well.
Speaker 4: And I'll put him in his name, right?
Speaker 2: Did that strike you as unlikely?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: By this time? Oh, you ovisually had in fact only things.
Speaker 7: And I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: He was telling me.
Speaker 5: Les's daughter, Lachelle wasn't in Brisbane to hear the skulls testimony. She listened to his evidence at home in Sydney.
Speaker 8: That was the most cruciating thing, like someone had just ripped out my heart.
Speaker 7: I couldn't stop crying for a week.
Speaker 9: I felt like.
Speaker 8: I never felt before, the worse pain than being in pain, you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: That he died being bashed to death, and how it was just terrific.
Speaker 10: It was terrible.
Speaker 5: As terrible as hearing that evidence was. It almost made Lachelle hopeful because thirty years after Les disappeared, she was now closer than ever to getting justice for her dad. If the coroner accepted the Skull's evidence, then surely they would agree with Liz mc norton and find that David murdered her dad.
Speaker 1: It sounded one hundred percent truth.
Speaker 11: For I heard how he died, that he bashed him to death. I actually did believe it.
Speaker 9: To tell the truth, I'm Joe Townsend.
Speaker 1: And I'm Callumptoness. This is perfect alibi.
Speaker 5: You might have detected some skepticism from the lawyer cross examining the Skull about David's confession because it sounds like something out of a B grade movie. So now we're digging into the skull. Who was he and could he have been telling the truth. To help us answer those questions, we turned to a former Victorian detective Bill Nash.
Speaker 9: He's measured and he talks a lot of sense.
Speaker 12: I applied for the Fraud Squad and moved to the Fraud Squad in about nineteen eighty five, and I stayed there for twenty five years before retiring as a detective senis sergeant.
Speaker 5: Through his time in the Victoria Police Force, Bill Nash heard all sorts of stories about the Skull because in policing circles he was notorious. He made his name in the bad old days of policing when cops were known to bend the law.
Speaker 12: He's certainly well known and is a bit of a legend. I he shot someone in his backyard. He had a police issue revolver for his own protection, and he found someone climbing over the neighbor's fence into his backyard or vice versa, and he shot him in the leg. Didn't he get charged?
Speaker 5: By all accounts, the Skull was a bit of an enigma. He was awarded policing's highest honor, the Valor Award and was a devout Catholic, but he also bragged that he'd shot and wounded forty people in his long policing career. Once he poured petrol on two drug dealers in the street and threatened in court to bite off a crook's nose. He was charged with manslaughter for bashing a criminal to death. He was acquitted and was the target of one of Victoria's biggest ever anti corruption inquiries.
Speaker 12: He was a good source of information for both the police department and the underworld, so you couldn't really trust him because you don't know who he's playing off against. He had a prolific almost as good as Shane Warns contact lists. It was something you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 5: The Skull told the Inquest. He met David Phillips at Melbourne's Russell Street Criminal Investigation branch back in the early eighties giving you.
Speaker 4: A detector at Rochelly Troit and I was a detective sergeant and it were quite a good nation work.
Speaker 5: David left the force a couple of years later and moved to Queensland and he and the Skull fell out of touch. But after suffering a stroke in nineteen ninety four, David moved back to Melbourne. He was in a bad way. The stroke had left him wheelchair bound. The skull and his wife would visit the Phillips every Saturday, bringing with them one hundred dollars worth of food to feed the family, and occasionally even lending David money. On the stand at the coronial inquest, the skull told the court that one day he received a call from one of David's kids begging him to come to the house because David was in a fit of rage, tearing their place apart with an axe.
Speaker 4: Oman dam. It was there till the plant the walls that would't work in the place, and everybody was terrified.
Speaker 11: And so to be clear, did you see mister Phillips with an axe?
Speaker 4: I did, and should not under his hair job with him in each Dan why he's done, He was sitting any shit, he would love his ship. He was still yelling at treating, carrying off, which I've never seen ignite that before. I couldn't believely done the damage. It felt a real daughters in these.
Speaker 5: Why the skull calmed David down, But soon after the skull cut off contact.
Speaker 1: So David and the skull were old police buddies and resumed their friendship in nineteen ninety four after David returned to Melbourne.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: So this was a fairly long relationship and pretty close to given that we know the Skull and his wife used to come around every week dropping off food, and the Skull was this notorious figure with connections to the underworld. What I want to know is what do we know about David's police career. Does this mean that he moved in the same sort of circles as the Skull.
Speaker 5: Well, according to a document we found amongst the police files on Lez's case, he was actually a highly decorated cop. The document is a letter it's addressed to David from a Victorian assistant commissioner. It says that in David's ten years in the police force, he was awarded eleven commendations and was nominated for the Valor Award three times.
Speaker 1: That's huge, massive. But the thing is it kind of stands at odds slightly with Christine, his sister, because she told us this story that kind of made us raise our eyebrows.
Speaker 3: One day he called him with a police carp and he was on his own. He didn't have his partner and sad, I want to show you something I quivered in my boots a bit. Jee's what's in the boot? And it was a bootload of drugs and I distinctly remember on one side plastic bags with little brown stuff in it. I presume that was marijuana and little silver packages on the right. And he said, I want you to smell it and taste, so you know what it's like. I declined, absolutely not interested. I said, why are you showing me this? He said, I just want you to learn. I said to him, where's your partner? And I said, we've just done a big drug bust. And I said, but where which I should He didn't tell me, of course, And I said, why are you driving around with all this in your boot? He said, don't worry. He bent forward, rolled up his pants and he said, I've got protection. And it was a knife in his boot.
Speaker 5: According to that police document I mentioned, David was medically retired from the force in nineteen eighty six. When detectives investigating Leeds's disappearance asked David for more details, he wouldn't elaborate. His sister, Christine doesn't know why he left his police in career but remembers he was in a hurry.
Speaker 12: Very.
Speaker 3: Very surprised. We sort of questioned him why he was doing it. He stead of just got to get out. I drove him to a caya in Brunswick. He said, I'm getting a new car. Can you take me? Honestent, sure, but he wouldn't let me drop him off in the caryat. It was in a side street and next thing I heard the car had been abandoned.
Speaker 5: We heard a similar story from Lachelle's side of the family too, that David abandoned the car he drove to Queensland by the side of the road. Margaret Leanne's mother, who was staying at the Phillips house when Les vanished, had her own suspicions about why David left the force. In this covert police recording, she's with some relatives.
Speaker 3: Did you hear why he left the place?
Speaker 11: I think I thought.
Speaker 8: I think he knew he needed to leave, okay, and why there was a lot of things that were going on.
Speaker 11: We're prided.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I know.
Speaker 8: Of it's definitely not above board and no offense. But you know how cops that very bad names off and I think he was right in the heart of all that Whenden, he was working.
Speaker 7: There and he got out.
Speaker 5: When the Phillips first moved to Queensland in the eighties, they briefly lived with Les and Et and it recalls overhearing some troubling phone calls.
Speaker 7: He took some very suspicious phone calls when he was at my place and I heard him say, well, if you can't do anything, then break his knees. I was hearing all this on the phone and he was obviously talking to other police in Victoria.
Speaker 5: So some of his family suspected David might have had dodgy police connections. But then again we have to take into account that none of them are fans of David anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we won't take their word as gospel. But then we have Bill Nash, the form of fraud Squad detective. He looked into David's connection to the skull and corrupt police really closely as part of an investigation that was completely separate to Lesbaul And it's a wild twisting tale about two murders. First, some history. In nineteen eighty four, Jennifer Tanner, the sister in law of a Melbourne detective, was shot in the head twice, but unbelievably. Local police initially dismissed her death as a suicide.
Speaker 12: You can shoot yourself in the head once, but you can't do it to because you're knocked out. You don't have any sense.
Speaker 1: In July nineteen ninety five, the body of Adel Bailey, a sex worker who disappeared in nineteen seventy eight, was found dumped in a mine shaft in the regional of Victorian town of Bonnie Done not far from where Jennifer Tanner was murdered.
Speaker 12: This girl was a native of New Zealand. She was a transgender person working on the streets and certainly wasn't a country girl and wasn't familiar at all with the location of the mind shafting Bonnie Doone.
Speaker 1: By nineteen ninety six, police were pursuing an explosive theory that Dennis Tanner, a serving officer and the brother in law of Jennifer Tanner, was responsible for both murders.
Speaker 12: There was a very strong suggestion that police were involved in both. The suspect for that immediately fell on that woman's brother in law, who was a serving member.
Speaker 1: This scandal wasn't limited to one officer. In nineteen ninety eight, an informer contacted police and said that Tanner would regularly bring sex workers up to Bonnie Dune for wild party, sometimes with other cops. This informer said that's exactly what happened the night Adele Bailey was murdered. She was at a caravan park with Tanner and another officer named Jerry when Tanner killed her. But the investigation into the two murders essentially went nowhere. So in two thousand and three, at the request of the Victoria Police Commissioner, Bill Nash was conducting a top secret investigation into the two murders because cops were implicated. He had to work in isolation, away from other officers, in a secure room at the Fraud Squad headquarters, and that's when he discovered that the confidential informer was none other than the Skull.
Speaker 12: When we first approached Murphy, I got his phone number and we went down to his address. He wasn't home, so I phoned up. All right, I explained who I am, what I want to say about getrift hung up with my ear so I rang him back. That same night, I said, Brian, we're parked outside your house and we're going to stay here until you come home. Within fifteen minutes, a dark colored car drives up the street, slows down, has a look at us, and drives on. Ten minutes later, Brian rings up, how about Monday, I come in and see you.
Speaker 1: Fine, So, at the agreed time of four pm, the Skull shows up to the officers of the fraud squad and he tells Bill that the information about adel Bailey's murder actually came from another former detective, David Phillips.
Speaker 9: David Phillips, what did David say?
Speaker 1: Well, he said that he was actually there the night that Adele Bailey was murdered. He witnessed it.
Speaker 5: So wait, this isn't a rumor. He said he was actually there.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then passed it on to the police.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the fact that he's even passing that information on sort of flies in the face of what we think we know about David Phillips. He was actually a secret source for a really high profile investigation into pretty serious police corruption.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was really really significant information too, because prior to David's tip off, police only had one officer, Dennis Tanner, in their sites. David's story implicating Officer Jerry meant the force now had two officers under investigation for murder, and Officer Jerry became a key suspect. Police bugged his house, they even installed a microphone above the marital bed that it ended his career. But the investigation into the double murder went nowhere, And so Bill was picking this whole thing up years later, and he really needed to corroborate that information that David had provided.
Speaker 12: And this information was very significant and it could have blown the whole investigation open and assisted us enormously.
Speaker 5: Am I right in wondering if at least some, if not all, of David Phillips's behavior that we thought was so strange all along completely inexplicable, could be explained if he was working together with a police informant the Skull, or if he himself was also a police informant. Could some of this bad cop stuff we've discovered actually be David Phillips being a very good cop.
Speaker 1: So to answer that, we have to look at Bill Nash's investigation. Bill Nash had never met David Phillips, he hadn't even heard of him. So he assembled a team of detectives to follow David and Leanne, and by this point in two thousand and three. They were homeless, drifting between motels. Neither worked, and Bill's officers observed David doctor shopping, using fraudulent prescriptions to obtain drugs.
Speaker 12: We eventually tracked him down in a motel. We knocked on the door. Leanne answered, no, day's not here. We invite ourselves in, had a quick look around. He's hiding in the cupboard in the motel room from us. That was our introduction to Dave Phillips.
Speaker 1: Bill spent around six weeks interviewing David.
Speaker 12: We initially treated him as a witness, a prime witness, and he was always polite enough to talk to us, but he has a dark, secretive mind.
Speaker 1: During those six weeks, the routine emerged. Police would interview David and then.
Speaker 12: We'd leave him. We'd have to track him down again. He's somewhere else, in a halfway house, lying on charity to provide his accommodation. Now, at the end of the one session, I'd gone away, typed up the information on a statement, brought it back to him. He's reading it through. He says, can I borrow your pin? Bill? He gets the page and puts a line to that. He says, oh, that's not true. Now that jeopardized the whole statement. It was a five page statement and he's just said, we'll laugh in this page. That information not true, so you might as well throw it away and not use it.
Speaker 1: David laid about big things, small things, everything. In fact, Bill said that David laid on at least fifty occasions. You've interviewed a lot of people over the years. A lot of crooks, a lot of bad people, a lot of layers, a lot of fantasists, a lot of fraudsters. How does David feel compare?
Speaker 12: He's number one. He had no regard for the truth. My description of Dave is he was a low life bum and a drifter. That says it all. He's a liar, compulsive liar, storyteller, and he's only making up these things to chance his reputation. That's my view.
Speaker 1: David Phillips was no noble ex cop. In fact, Bill suspects David made the whole thing up to try and claim a reward. As for Officer Jerry, the one that David said, dump to del Bailey's.
Speaker 12: Body, one innocent.
Speaker 1: David's tale didn't just waste Bill's time, It completely destroyed the life and career of the police officer he falsely accused. That officer ended up receiving a four hundred thousand dollars payout from Victoria Police, which was one of the largest ever at the time, because that original investigation had taken David's story at face value.
Speaker 9: Wow, what about the other cop, Well.
Speaker 1: Dennis Tanner was named by a coroner in twenty twelve as Jennifer Tanner's likely killer, although police dropped those charges. He was never charged over Adel Bailey's murder, and he's previously said he's innocent of both murders. Those two cases are still unsolved.
Speaker 5: What I really want to know is why did David just make all of this up? Was it just to try and claim the reward money.
Speaker 1: Well, Bill thinks there was another reason too, which is that David felt this desperate need to impress the skull.
Speaker 12: Dave always had this problem that he wanted to be known himself, especially in front of a person like Brian Murphy.
Speaker 9: What about the skull though, Was he telling the truth?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Bill thinks he was telling the truth and that David really had told him that he'd seen this officer Dumper del Bailey's body and he was just passing it on to police, which is what any former co would do.
Speaker 5: So that brings us back to les Ball. According to the skull, David told him that he murdered Lez, which the skull again duly passed on to police. And remember our Irish cold case cop Liz also thinks the skull was being truthful. You think, Brian, the skull Murphy was completely legit absolutely telling the truth.
Speaker 9: Why did you think that?
Speaker 10: I think you get a feel for people, you know, you get you get a feel. He wasn't getting anything from us, you know. All he wanted to do was Pellatroth. This is what you told me?
Speaker 7: Do you ever?
Speaker 10: Hut actually confessed to him that he had killed his father in law and stead that it was quite massy, quite bloody, and used words the fate of he almost wrapped his win paper. I found him very credible. I didn't really add anything anathing to prove he didn't nothing.
Speaker 1: Again, but even if the skull was telling the truth, that doesn't mean that David was telling the truth. David lied to the skull about all sorts of things, so the skull could have just been passing on dodgy information that he got from David.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: But Liz Len's weight to the fact that the skull knew specifics about the case, the sort of details that weren't made public, they could have only come from David.
Speaker 10: Brian was able to give information in that statement from what Devi had said about the car being at the tree and station, about it being moved, and about the ticket. No, Brian would not have known any of that. So for him to have known that, he would have to have heard that from somebody that knew the investigation, and that could only even David, because he wasn't in connection, it wasn't speaking to anyone else. Was the only person he was speaking to. So for him to harb that information, he could only have got up from Devid.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's get back to that coronial inquest. After the Skull gave his evidence, it was Leanne's turn. She was also dialing in from Melbourne, and about forty minutes into her examination by the counsel assisting the coroner, something unusual happened. Have a listen now, I might go back.
Speaker 13: To mister Murphy. I don't know if you're aware, but he gave evidence this morning. I heard yeap okay, so, Leanne, you were listening to the evidence of mister Murphy this morning from your solicitor's office.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: And did you hear mister Nash's evidence as well?
Speaker 8: I did?
Speaker 2: Did you also hear mister Boyer's evidence this aufternoon?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: You're on a this is something obviously, Miss Slane.
Speaker 3: We might take ten minutes at this point in time.
Speaker 1: You very much.
Speaker 2: We'll just say journ for a minute, Leanne, Please, this sport has now adjourned.
Speaker 5: In case you missed that Leanne had listened in to previous witnesses give evidence at the inquest. Coronial inquests don't allow witnesses to listen in to what other witnesses are saying before they give evidence. It means that their account remains independent. In the most severe cases, a witness that does this sometimes people refer to it as tailgating, and its banned so that there can be no collusion between witnesses can be charged with contempt of court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never heard of it happening. It's just such a no.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely I haven't either. But after a short adjournment, the hearing resumed. None of the other parties objected to the fact that Leanne had been listening in and then Leanne responded to what the skull had said.
Speaker 2: And I really volunted it when I heard that, I will feistate gone true. I need to put them to.
Speaker 4: I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 8: It's untrue, It's just rubbish and I don't want to hear those details plates.
Speaker 5: At this point, the coroner told Leanne she had to answer questions, so the counsel assisting pressed on, focusing on the skulls evidence that David had once terrorized his own family with an axe.
Speaker 2: What was David actually doing just raising his voice? Was he hitting anything or punching anything? No, So when you say going off, it was simply like that. He had like typlate rages and then he would have seize.
Speaker 6: It became more and more frequent, and sometimes Brian was able to take away and hung down for us that night.
Speaker 2: You say David had these psychotic rages? Did this this is something that resulted from the stroke. From the stroke. Was David ever violent before his stroke? No, not to my knowledge.
Speaker 5: And of course Leanne was once again questioned about her account of Les visiting her in hospital.
Speaker 2: Now one hundred percent sure he come to visit me. I think in your interview in twenty eleven you use the words pretty sure. So is that something you record?
Speaker 6: I think that's just a matter of words.
Speaker 2: All right, So right here and now you're telling their court that you are certain that your father visited you at hospital in Brisbane.
Speaker 5: As we've covered, Leanne has given conflicting statements about the hospital visit and the lotto ticket. But when police spoke to Leanne in twenty eleven and twenty seventeen, she wasn't aware they were recording her conversations, and on the stand at the inquest she took issue with that.
Speaker 2: In one of the conversations, you said you found it in your and in another conversation he said you found it on your bedside table because one of the times that you spoke to police who told them that he had visited you in your room.
Speaker 3: In fact, I have him point in the whole conversation.
Speaker 2: Or right edit in I can assure you that this court has been given the entire recording. But that's okay. If you don't if you don't agree with what I'm saying that, please do say that you don't agree, Like you Yeah, apparrently just agree with that.
Speaker 5: For what it's worth. The counsel assisting is correct. We've listened to those recordings all the way through. Then the cross examination turned to the subject of money. Liz mcnorton concluded that David had a financial motive to murder Leez because in the lead up to settling on his house, Les was just short of the sixty three thousand dollars he needed to close the deal, so he had to confront David about money he owed.
Speaker 11: Can I suggest to you that when your father found out that he had insufficient funds in his account to pay for the property at Cardwell, he asked you or David to repay some of the money that had been given to you, and that's incorrect. Do you have any idea how he was going to get the extra money to purchase.
Speaker 3: Such a bed. I did not know at that time that cap, so I wouldn't know that ant.
Speaker 1: The inquest didn't just cover old ground. Police were questioned about a twenty eleven crime Stoppers report from an anonymous caller. The caller said that around the time Le's disappeared, they were driving on the Bruce Highway close to well As his trailer was dumped. They saw a scruffy looking man covered in blood, carrying something in his arms, which he put into the boot of an old green Valiant, which is the description of Lester's car. This anonymous caller spotted the same man in Townsville a week later, clean shaven with a fresh haircut. They said something else too, that a guy at a dump had seen the same bloke and questioned why he was covered in blood. He said that he'd been in a fight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But how do we know that any of these calls have any real cred.
Speaker 1: Good question, because we know that a lot of widows call up crime stoppers. But what caught the attention of police who assessed this tip was that information about Lester's car wasn't in the media at the time, but because the report was anonymous, police didn't follow up. So, as far as we know, the identity of this potential witness remains a mystery.
Speaker 5: After hearing two days of evidence, the coroner handed down findings in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 9: The coroner ruled that les was dead.
Speaker 5: And that a person or person's unknown may have been involved in his death, but Coroner Gallagher said there wasn't enough evidence to make a finding about who was responsible for Lachelle, who'd been pinning her hopes on this inquest. Hearing the coroner say there wasn't enough evidence to determine what happened to Lez was devastating.
Speaker 11: It's a nightmare that.
Speaker 6: You don't want to ever have again.
Speaker 8: So to relive this and put yourself through that pain and that scut wedging his is the worst pain you could ever feel.
Speaker 11: It's like the pain of losing someone that this pain and not knowing.
Speaker 1: So Liz had concluded in twenty seventeen that David was the only person with the means and motive to murder Lez, and according to the skull, David even confessed to murdering laz So you'd think that would be enough for a coroner to make findings, wouldn't you.
Speaker 5: Except that the coroner found the skull's account inherently implausible. There were no missing persons that could have been the random guy from the pub that David claimed he murdered, and after hearing the Skull's confession into an seventeen police did a forensic search of the house and didn't find any traces of blood. The original police investigation hadn't found any traces of blood in Liz's car either.
Speaker 1: The thing that jumped out to me from the coroner's findings was that all of David's violence, like tearing the house apart with an axe and all the lies he told Bill Nash only started happening after David's stroke in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's what Leanne told Liz McNaughton too, that after the stroke he would be violent towards her and talk all sorts of nonsense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the coroner accepted her evidence there, and as a result, accepted basically everything David told police about the case, despite all the inconsistencies that we've had. So many people describe David as a liar. I mean, this is how Ed described him. And remember she knew him well before the stroke, when he was living with her in the eighties.
Speaker 7: He could tell you a lie without flinching. You never knew whether he was telling you the truth. He was the greatest, cleverest liar that I've ever known in my life.
Speaker 1: David's sister Christine told us that again. In the eighties, when David was still a cop, he tried to con her parents' bank manager into giving him a loan.
Speaker 3: They had a mixed business in mintone and the bank manager came down. He said, your son has just been in trying to borrow five thousand off the business said that you gave permission. Why would you even do that?
Speaker 1: I mean you've used the word borrow there, But that sounds like he actually tried to nick five grand a few parents. I think he might be right, And there was evidence before the coroner that David's lying started well before nineteen ninety four. This secretly recorded conversation between police and Margaret, that's David's mother in law, was exhibited at the inquest. He was a great I'll tell you that. What was the greatest liar?
Speaker 3: And about him found tip.
Speaker 5: We've heard so many conflicting accounts of David. According to Leanne, he was a man whose personality changed after a devastating stroke. Others describe him as a pathological liar from way back then. There are rumors of his dodgy police connections versus that.
Speaker 9: Document we mentioned. I mean, when you.
Speaker 5: Read those commendations, he sounds like a remarkable cop. He had three commendations for singlehandedly disarming armed defenders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he also had a commendation for entering a river and saving a man from an upturned vehicle, commendations for convicting murderers, robbers, rapists. This letter from Victoria Police makes him look like a super cop. The thing is, Queensland Police never checked the true origin of this document. We did, Joan, what have you got?
Speaker 8: I just wanted to ask Victoria Police to see if they had any knowledge of this letter. It took them weeks and they've just come back to me, and frankly, I cannot believe the response.
Speaker 9: They've come back with this statement.
Speaker 8: It says that on the fourth of February he was commended with one other for initiative observation and intelligent interrogation of two juvenile offenders, and on the twentieth of October nineteen eighty one he was commended with two others for initiative intelligence and dedication to duty putting in a special effort in the Dandenong area.
Speaker 9: At no time.
Speaker 8: Did he receive any honors, awards or decorations.
Speaker 1: So it's all bullshit. It's total bullshit. He far from winning eleven commendations for extraordinary acts of bravery, he got like two participation awards.
Speaker 8: Either he's got a man on the inside who has somehow managed to get him a letter that they both know is a lie, or this is an out and out forgery. You look at this document and it really does look official. It's stamped, it's signed by justice of the peace, it's got a really fancy letterhead, and yet it's a total and utter fabrication.
Speaker 1: I mean, anybody who just took a quick look at the document would think it was legit. And it seems I guess that that's what detectives did. They looked at this, said it looked legit, and no one asked any questions until you called up Victoria Police. That's insane. Bill Nash, as you might recall, spent most of his career in the Fraud Square Victoria Police. So we had him examine the letter and he points out some anomalies that should have caught police's attention.
Speaker 12: It's in very poor condition and it's very difficult to read, and it indicates to me that it's perhaps been through a number of fax machines and it's been scanned a couple of times, perhaps a little bit of cut and pasting. There's the signatures here from two justices of the piece, and the writing is different. One lot of writing is sloping to the right, one lot of writing is sloping to the left, So it's got to be two different people. I would maintain at all times that Dave has written this document promoting himself.
Speaker 5: We had the signatures analyzed by a court certified handwriting analyst. What a cool job that is, by the way, but he said a signature alone isn't an enough of a sample to really determine if the justice of the peace signatures were forged as well.
Speaker 1: But this is proof of what so many people have told us, and of what they told police, that David was a frequent, habitual liar well before that stroke in nineteen ninety four. He wasn't a police informant, he wasn't one of the state's most highly decorated cops. He was just a liar, simple as that.
Speaker 12: Well, if I was the coroner or anyone else, I would suggest that Dave has the distinction of being Australia's best equipped police officer. Without a doubt, no one could ever come near this. So clearly it's an impressive document if you believe it. It's certainly gone in Dave's favor, and you might have an opinion that you are an impressive person. I would, and most police officers would say this is not a legitimate document. Eleven commendatory entries between nineteen seventy seven in nineteen eighty four, which is seven years. He's received eleven commendations in seven years. That immediately says it's absolute crap. You can't describe it any better than that.
Speaker 1: And there's another reason it's significant because, of course, at the center of les Bol's disappearance is another for its document, the train ticket to Brisbane.
Speaker 12: I'd be rather interested in this document if I was handling the les Ball investigation, they should be taking a great deal of notice of this dog.
Speaker 1: Next time, on Perfect Alibi, we revealed David's dark history of violence.
Speaker 3: He was extremely abusive, foul language, and threatened to fly down and shoot us all on our winding day, every single one of us.
Speaker 1: He threatened to fly down, Yes to Melbourne and.
Speaker 3: Shit you yep everyone at the wedding.
Speaker 5: The coroner seemed to be of the opinion that David really only turned violent after his stroke. But every story you've told us pre dates his stroke.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 9: Did the coroner get that right.
Speaker 3: Probably not, because if you weren't violent, why would you bring up and threaten to kill a family.
Speaker 5: If you've got more information on this case, you can contact us at les Bawl podcast at ProtonMail dot com.
Speaker 9: That's L E.
Speaker 5: S B A double L podcast at ProtonMail dot com