Speaker 1: Oh, strap in, That's all I can say. Strap in because this is a doozy. This is an episode you will not be able to pause, or get out of the car or start doing something else. Tracy Hall one of the last actual victim of Hamish McLaren and he is the what do you call the source of a podcast called who the Hell is Hamish? And it was a huge podcast, like people were sending it to each other. Listen to this, my god, this is Australian guys.
Speaker 2: Happened in Australia.
Speaker 1: Tracy is in that podcast. But she's now doing her own press tour because she's written a book about herself and her part. You will still probably want to buy the bookcase I do. I want to know more about this incredible woman, because she's not just the victim that you think is the victim. I mean, no one is the victim. But you think scammers, You think old people on the phones, you know, who still have landlines like you know, and media. Tracy touches on this media used to make us think that way. You know, so many people are being scammed these days in so many different ways. The media has changed, and thank god it has. She mentions that as well.
Speaker 2: You will.
Speaker 1: I think really love the questions that I ask because she answers the things that I wanted to know. So I asked her the things that I wanted to know that I know you want to know as well. My producer was the same, if we want to know these things, you all want to know these things too, So please enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Let me know what you think.
Speaker 1: Give her a follow on Instagram. Tracy Hall in the show notes, we will have a link to her socials or her book by the book, Why wouldn't you support this beautiful person?
Speaker 2: Here's Tracy Hall. Well, this is such an interesting story.
Speaker 1: Like I just watched the documentary because I have a podcast and I do two EPs a week. I don't listen to podcasts a lot because it's work, right, So I am a more of a visual gal. And my best friend, she is a podcast queen, and this was one she really wanted me to listen to.
Speaker 2: Who the Hell is Hamish?
Speaker 1: And I did start it, and I must say it was quite interesting, but like I said, I'm not that into podcasts. So I was so excited when I saw that Channel seven had done a documentary and you were in it. So I want to start at the start, and the documentary is about a man called Hamish McLaren.
Speaker 2: You were his last victim.
Speaker 1: Also just written a book which we're going to talk about later, but let's start at the beginning. Here's a con man and he swindled people out of money. You were his last victim. When did you meet him? So?
Speaker 3: I met a man by the name of Max Devita in early twenty sixteen on a dating app. I'd been separated from my husband for about a year and I thought I was ready to get back into the dating scene, and you know, I wanted to meet someone to spend some time with to you know, you know, someone that had the same sort of ideas about life as me, the same values and morals and like doing the same things as me. And it was slim pickings, to be honest. It was quite demoralizing in a lot of ways. And of course, when you know, Max Devita showed up and he had you know, a megawatt smile and National Geographic blue eyes and great chat, great banter. We connected really quickly and we built a relationship over the next sixteen months. It was based on shared values and liking the same things we loved the ocean, we loved running, and we just sort of hung out and he told me he was a chief financial officer for a family office in Sydney, and I knew a little bit about what that was. And then over the you know, over the next sixteen months, we just sort of built built our relationship and it was very you know, close, a very intimate relationship.
Speaker 4: We were talking about our future.
Speaker 3: The weekend before he was arrested, we were looking at properties in Byron Bay, thinking about, you know, our what the next ten years of our life might look like. And yes, so it was a pretty a pretty deep relationship that by that point. And it was in July twenty seventeen. I woke up one morning to a crime stop his video online of a man being arrested outside of his apartment in Bondai for swindling people out of millions of dollars, and his face was blurred out. But you know, there was not a shadow of a doubt that that was my boyfriend, Max Devita. Except it wasn't Max Devita, it was Hey Mish McClaren.
Speaker 1: So you got a phone call from or did you call the police to say that's my boyfriend?
Speaker 3: What had actually happened was we'd just gotten back from Byron Bay and I hadn't heard from him in about twenty four hours, which was very, very unusual, and I ended up after a very sleepless night and scouring the internet looking for friends and family to connect with to try and find out if something had happened. I ended up very early the next morning calling Bondi Police and asking them to do a wellness check on him, yep, because I just knew something was wrong, and they were off doing a wellness check on him, and a girlfriend of mine sent me the link to the video and that is when I found out that he'd been arrested. So that's obviously why he wasn't answering my calls.
Speaker 2: So that was the crime Stop A video.
Speaker 4: That was the crime Stop A video.
Speaker 3: And I called back Bondi Police and I said, well, you don't need to do a one's check on him because he's not dead. He's been arrested. And they said, yes, we know that now, but the name of the person that you gave us, the address and his age, everything you gave us about that man is not the man that lives there. And I said, well, who is it you know who who, like, who is this man? And they said, we can't tell. You need to contact the detectives working on the case. And that's when I spoke to the head detective who had arrested him. And then you know, the dealings with the police started at that point. So I went up and spent pretty much the next three weeks with the police unraveling the previous eighteen months of my life.
Speaker 1: Tracy, can I just first, I'm so sorry that this has happened to you, like to anyone, but like, I'm looking at a human, a beautiful woman who you know, we were just talking off air quickly about your daughter, and so I'm assuming he knew your daughter, you're a single mom.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, I mean after nearly eighteen months, he definitely knew her. The relationship built quite slowly because I didn't really want to infuse a new person in my life.
Speaker 4: With most women died.
Speaker 1: Yep, you have to learn, you have to earn that trust, don't you, for a partner before you bring a child in, which is the most appropriate way to do a relationship I think in person.
Speaker 2: And that would have been absolutely huge for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, and it took a long time for me to introduce her. So the time that we spent together, I guess it's fair to say, was fairly limited because I have majority care of my daughter, so I would see him when she was with her dad. But over you know, eighteen months, that is a long time to go out with somebody, And of course she would hear him on the phone a lot because we would talk all the time, and they built a bit of a relationship through that, and then by kind of you know, the moving into over a year after we met and started going out, we took family holidays up to Byron Babe. My mom came along, like my mom came and stayed with us. He met my family, So yeah, they did have a relationship in the end, but it was mostly it was a few holidays and then you know, the rest of the time we spent together was religious when I had that space, you know, on my own. So it was funny actually, Eve because when Hamis she was arrested and everything just fell apart around me. I made a decision really early on that there'd be no tears at the dinner table, okay, and that I wouldn't discuss it with her. She was really young at the time, she was like six or six and a half or something, and it's very hard to explain a non compliant superinnuation fund and a con man who swindled people out of millions of dollars to a six year old. And I didn't want to worry her and life had to go on, you know, I didn't want for all the part and you know, it's just me at home.
Speaker 4: With her, so I just had to keep her ghost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a blessing in a sense because that kept me going a lot of the time. But you know, and I don't know if it was the right decision, but it's kind of funny now in retrospect because we.
Speaker 4: Just carried on.
Speaker 3: There were no tears at the dinner table. And it wasn't until about eight or nine months after he'd been arrested that we were in the bathroom one night, you know, doing the nightly shower routine, and she says to me, O, Mum, we haven't heard from Max in a while, and I.
Speaker 4: Just had a while.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, yeah, he's just been really busy. Rabe like it's so good. I think he's just been super busy. And she's like okay, and she moved on. And that's the joy of children, right, because they just they're so tangled up in their own world. And of course she was very young, and in that moment, I thought, oh, I've done a pretty good job of hiding this.
Speaker 2: That of protecting her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really did protect her, which you did a really good job, because you know, a lot of people, we're just fallible people, but a lot of people are selfish in that way that you know. Such great parents are those ones who really do think about the ramifications of something that may be so devastating, how that would impact a child and trying to explain it or them even just seeing you and really being quite fearful of you reacting in certain ways. I want to just go back to that moment that you found out and the next ensuing three weeks, the betrayal that you must have felt, like, can you just take me there to I mean, to put it bluntly, you were sleeping with this man. You were sleeping with the enemy. You gave him the most intimate parts of yourself. You, I imagine, would tell him the most intimate thing about yourself. You were vulnerable, you trusted him, you relied on him in certain ways for certain things depended on him. You thought he was a good guy, You thought, you know, you'd found a really great person to share a future with, and then you find out that he is a freaking sociopath. Like, I'm so freaking angry. He just lies and lies and lies, like I can't I can't understand. Can you take me there? What was that like for you?
Speaker 3: I mean, first of all, it was disbelief, because, like you said, this is a man that you know, would lie in bed next to me at night and when I couldn't sleep, he would, you know, he would talk to me until I fell asleep. We shared everything, and I wholeheartedly believed that he had my best interests at heart. And so to wake up one morning and find that he's a not the person you think he is, that's a very discombobulating thing for your brain to cope with, because it was, you know, the person that I loved and the person that I was building a future with, and the person that I felt like was my person and had my back and saw me actually didn't exist, didn't exist, No.
Speaker 1: Like, how do you compartmentalize that? As like, were you a mess? Like you or you much?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I remember you saying in the docor you when you spoke to the detective, like you had to go and vomit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I felt a lot of physical reaction during during those weeks and months afterwards.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big person.
Speaker 3: I'm a small framed person, and I lost six kilos in three weeks. I could not eat, I could not sleep, I could not rest until I knew how it all fit together. And I think in terms of compartmentalizing, it was like a death. So the man that I loved and the man that I was building my future with died in that moment because he actually didn't really exist.
Speaker 4: In the first place.
Speaker 2: So he was dead and gone.
Speaker 4: He was dead and gone. But it's weird and you actually grieve that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was grief around that, But then I felt bad for grieving because it wasn't real person. So confusing for me. But you know those you know those moments where you go, oh, just call them and tell them that, or just because you know, you get into these habits and it becomes part of your life. And in those weeks afterwards, I'd be like, ohll just call Max.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, yeah, okay name I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, that was that was really hard, and I think part of it for me was and this is the thing I've realized. The thing about our brains is we don't like unfinished stories, and we either make up the ending so that we can rest, or we remain in this state of complete confusion. And and you know, you just can't rest until you've got the ending or you've got the pieces of the puzzle. And during those weeks and months afterwards, it was very, very difficult for me to get information about the last eighteen months of my life. So obviously I could research him and what he'd done previously because I had his real name now, but the police really couldn't tell me very much other than you know, go through my experience. They couldn't release any information about other victims legally legally, how frustrating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then of course his family of are very tight lip they wouldn't talk to me, friends, etc.
Speaker 4: So I was.
Speaker 3: Trying to finish a jigsaw puzzle in my mind so I could put it to bed, but I couldn't because no one I couldn't get the information. And I think that was what was really difficult for me. And it wasn't until we until I spoke to Greg bar Up, who was the journalist from The Australian who did the podcast Who the Hell is Hamish's? Things really started to become clear. So I lived in that world for.
Speaker 4: Over a year.
Speaker 2: Oh that's long.
Speaker 4: It was a long time.
Speaker 3: And at the same time, I was single parenting at the same time, you know, I had lost all of my financial security, every piece of savings, all of my career superannuation, any shares I had, and I had my monthly salary, and I had a you know, it's not lost on me that I had a really good job, but I also worked really hard and I couldn't lose my job. So I was just working my ass off during that time, just like I've got to keep my job.
Speaker 4: I can't lose my job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that was the only financial security that I had. So there was all of this stuff going on as well, and at the same time, I'm just trying to kind of figure out this parallel universe that I'd been living in for the last eighteen months.
Speaker 1: I did kind of put it out there to a few people who had listened to the podcast, what would you want to know if you could ask her a question? I had one person say something that was really offensive to me, but a really valid question, and I answered it.
Speaker 2: So I'll tell you what I answered to me.
Speaker 1: But because it was offensive to me, she didn't mean it in but she couldn't help it, she said, I just She goes, I don't want to be victim blame me, but I just want to know how stupid can you be to give someone your money? And I answered. He'd been with her for a year, never talked about her money ever, and when he asked her, if this is correct, please correct me if it's not. When he asked her, do you have a self managed super fund? And she said no, he was like, well you sure, because you make a lot more interest in. He's a CFO, so he's been going to work with her every morning. He goes off to his office and she goes off to her office. So I know bankers, I know stockbrokers. If someone that I've known for over years to me, Evie, have you ever thought about, you know, maximizing your money, Like that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I could help you.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, here's my super fund because I don't know how to do that. That's how easily it can happen, like we all know people in banking, in money, someone who has and you just I mean, out of one hundred percent of people, you've got one percent who's going to be con men.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I have so much to say about this because and first of all, i'd say, you know, when it all happened, the victim blaming probably came from me, Yeah, the most, very quickly and the most. And how did I let this happen?
Speaker 4: Pretty much?
Speaker 3: Nothing anyone could say to me that I haven't already said to myself.
Speaker 4: But what I do know after all of this time.
Speaker 3: And it's been many, many years, is that they're you know, it's very difficult to describe the insidious nature of this type of crime and the coercive control and the grooming that happens over a very long period of time that gets you to that point. So when the media, you know, and to be honest, currently the media doing a fantastic job at all of this, you know, this kind of narrative. But previously the media would do these sensationalized stories like you know, vulnerable divorcee loses life savings to con man in you know, another country or whatever it might be. And you see those sensational headlines and you flick past them because you think, what an idiot. I'd never do that, and I was one of those people. But what I what I want to do in bringing this story forward is help educate people like your friend who and in fairness to her, I probably would have said something like that as well. But what we know about you know the function and the these types of relationships where there is so much grooming and so much coercive control. In my case it was financial coercive control. Is that if Hamish had knocked on my door one day and said handover is super new savings trace enough I go, I one hundred percent never would have done it. This is a man who weaseled his way into my life over a period of nearly a year and a half. He pretended to be somebody else. He completely deceived me on all levels, both an emotional and a professional level. The number of conversations that we had about finances, about his line of work, about what he was investing for some of the wealthiest families in Australia, the different strategies, the prices of God. I would overhear conversations with people that existed. I still don't know who these people are, but I could hear them on the other end of the phone talking about the closing price of gold, what happened in the French election, how that's impacting the US economy, what investments were doing. What you know, he would send me, And these are just a few examples, just to paint the picture. But he would send me an email every week every Friday that he purportedly wrote to all of his investors that was pages and pages long about what's happening in the market and the stocks and how they've traded them, and what's happening with the investments, and what the predictions are. He had Bloomberg monitors set up in his apartment that he tinkered on the whole time. There were official well they were fake, but he had, you know, forged official documents of the investments that he was doing for me, pages and pages long, showing me the different trades and what it started at, what it ended at, you know. And these are just a few examples of, you know, the way in which he created this movie. I guess you could say that you know by the time he asked me about my superannuation and how many you know, how much I was paying in fees and that he could do better for me. I had this confirmation that he was exactly who he said he was. Just this is the death by a thousand cuts. This is the coeresive control. This is the you know, the deceit to get me to a point where I, one hundred percent, without a shadow of a doubt, believed that A he had my best interests at heart, and B he was the perfect person to help me be financially independent for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there really wasn't.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have been a better person because you were with this person and they had your best interests.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ideally this situation would end so differently for so many other people. This particular story is quite an anomaly because you know, most people who were in the money sector legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this was truly bad luck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: And you know, I often think you know, people who run small businesses or you know, I've worked in marketing for twenty five years, and people that sort of say things and come to me and ask questions. I would offer them advice and offer to help them do their marketing, for example, and someone would look at me and go Okay, we'll she's been working in marketing for twenty five years.
Speaker 4: It should be a great person to do it. Now.
Speaker 3: I don't have an ill in tent, so that's the difference. But the grooming that happens in these types of things that you don't realize because it is death by a thousand cuts, yes, you know, and I think that's what I'm really keen for people to understand that, you know, it doesn't happen in the way that you think it does in a two minute clip that you might see on the Current Affair program.
Speaker 1: And now you've written a book, I'm assuming that the is too pronged for you advice to give, you know, a warning, but also quite cathartic. Yeah, yeah, what was it like going through it all again?
Speaker 3: The book is broken into three parts, so there's a before, during it, and after, and so each of those sections described my life in that moment in time, so it's memoir. So the before part is really sets the scene of who I am as a person once happened to me in my life, and without giving any spoilers, you know, a lot had happened in my life before before I even met Hamish, so I lost my dad when he was fifty three, very quickly to Lakemia. I very soon after lost my best friend's husband died at thirty one in his sleep. We ran away to India together to deal with that. So that was fabulous. And then you know, I got married and had a bay and then my mum got breast cancer when my daughter was five weeks old, so I went through my maternity leave, you know, with her doing that. And then I had a miscarriage, and then I had a divorce, and you know, a lot happened, and the reason a lot happened, that's a lot, and it's not to dwell on those things. And it's written very you know, there's a lot of humor in there as well. But essentially what that does is set the scene for who I'm as a person. I've dealt with grief, I've dealt with despair, I've dealt with heartache. And then of course it goes into a lot of detail about my relationship with Hamish, how we met, how we built that, and I needed seventy five thousand words to explain the insidious nature of what happened, and so we go through all of that, and then of course the after section is what happened after he was you know, he was arrested and then sentenced and the podcast finished, and what you're left with is a life that you have to put back together. And I think it was a really nice roundout because, you know, I had built up a level of resilience and strength and I knew that even though it was one of the worst things that's ever happened to me. It was horrific, it wasn't the worst, and I knew that.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was pretty bad, but wowid yeah.
Speaker 3: But I knew that if I could get through those other things, then I could get through this. And I just had to you know, I had to give it time. I had to give it some energy. I had to be very self compassionate, Like there was so many things that I'd learned from the before part of my life that helped me with the after. And I don't think you need to be swindled by a conman to feel intense levels of grief, betrayal, heartache, trauma. We're all going through things, right, and hopefully the story acts as a bit of a beacon of hope for anybody going through a tough time that you know there is there is a tomorrow, There is hope, You're going to be okay, but it just takes time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's really big of you to say some and understand that, you know, have that kind of perspective, because you know, they say your health is the most important thing, and mental health is also a really big thing, and that would have been so affected if nothing physical or in your medical health, that mental health would have been so incredibly crushed and sick. But just going back to what I wanted to ask before, because he mentioned that during that year the family were tight lived. I remember in the documentary you had met his brother, his brother in law, his brother in law, and he'd called him handbone and then he quickly you know, when you said what is what he was call you hanmdbone because his name, you know, Max to you, he was like, oh it was a skinny little kid and need to put hand on the bone. Like it was just so good at what he did, like so fast, sociopathically, pathologically lying incredibly good. I mean, if anything, part of me goes paying a little bit of money because of how hard he.
Speaker 2: Works at his sociopathy.
Speaker 1: But I totally do not believe that in any way no, but the tight lipners. So what were you trying to get from them? And why wouldn't they talk to you?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, in some respects, you know, they were team Hamish, right. Really, really, what's family, right?
Speaker 1: So they they were not completely and utterly ashamed of this horendous man.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure they were, but you know, how he's back. I guess it's family. I don't know, you know, maybe they were concerned about talking to people, talking to the police. I don't I don't actually know the answers because I never really really spoke to them. I did have a call one day from his niece who somehow got my number, and she called me and she said, I've just spoken to Hamish and you know, he wants to see if he can get your money back. And there was I can't remember the exact I was in it. I was in a it was very not a very good place, but I do remember she said, Hamish wants me to tell you to go for a swim in the ocean and just wash it all off trace And I just I staid to her on the phone, are you for fking real? Like this man has just completely financially and emotionally flattened me. I am a single mum. I have no idea what's happening. No one will talk to me, and you're telling me to go for a swim in the ocean and wash it all off, like go for yourself, Like, honest, how was she?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I guess in her thirties, that's right, Okay, yeah, I never I never met her.
Speaker 2: But but she's an adult herself. Yeah, and you know, I don't so HiT's wind.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He was devoting everyone.
Speaker 1: He was grooming his entire family, like obviously you know he had family visiting him or because he was on bail, but on remand.
Speaker 3: Was he No, he never got bail. So this was one of the fantastic things that because that was why he was a flight risk, of course, and they had enough evidence over the time that they were investigating him when they arrested him that they were very confident that he wouldn't get bail, which is what they wanted. So he was arrested that day after we got back from Bayern Bay and he has never been out since.
Speaker 2: And he's due for parole six is.
Speaker 3: That July twenty twenty six, will be nine years and he'll be up for parole.
Speaker 2: Then how do we stop it? Yeah, let's sun a petition. No, okay.
Speaker 1: So the family were they there at the trial? I wasn't a trial, was it because he pled guilty?
Speaker 4: It was a hearing? Like it was against process. I don't know what. Yeah, proper terminal.
Speaker 2: So you were all there.
Speaker 1: I loved the shots of you all out the front, holding each other and just being there for each other.
Speaker 4: Like so supportive.
Speaker 2: Are you all still in touch?
Speaker 4: Yeah? We are.
Speaker 3: I hosted a dinner up at Pilloo in Freshwater last week and there were ninety five people there and one of the other victims, Karen, came.
Speaker 4: Along to support Math.
Speaker 3: Karen Love, Karen Beck, Beck and I still talk a lot. Yeah, we're definitely definitely in touch, you know, having been connected with Beck actually, and this is sort of where after that year of just hell, and then Greg started investigating and he was fabulous, Like Greg is just the most compassionate, kind, empathetic man. And he would call me almost every other day as he was working on this project and say, oh my god, Trace, You're never gonna believe what I found out. And I'm like, okay, give it to me, he goes, he's got a wife, like what huh? And they obviously they weren't married, they were divorced. And he said, did you know he was married? And I said no, but nothing surprised with me. And I said, can you ask her if it's okay if I contact her?
Speaker 4: And he said, of course. She's an amazing trace.
Speaker 3: Like the thing about this man, he's a complete asshole, but god, he's got good taste in women.
Speaker 1: Well, i'd give him that because he did like everyone that yeah, yeah, yeah, just you.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and all the other victims as part of this case weren't in an intimate relationship. They were more in a business type of relationship or friendship. Yeah, because friends became friends. Yeah. He was really really good at whistling his way in. But when I met Beck, because they had been married and there were things that I could talk to Beck about that I couldn't talk to anyone else about, and you know, that was such that was so comforting for me and her and I would spend hours and hours and hours on the phone own just dissecting you know him, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, and that you needed that.
Speaker 4: It was really helpful for me. It was very healing and.
Speaker 2: Her she would have been really helped by talking to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: Hearing that she she wasn't the only one who believed his bullshit.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and she's great, she's so much fun.
Speaker 2: Did you get your money back?
Speaker 4: No? No, not one of them. No.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Why what? What? Where? Why? Well?
Speaker 4: As part of the investigatory why.
Speaker 3: Well, that is the seven point six million dollar question, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Literally?
Speaker 3: Look the as part of the investigation, the police reported or that part of part of what they put together was that there is no money anywhere. There is no money in bank accounts in Australia for him, there is there is no money. So that was the extent of their investigation into the money flow, and they had, you know, forantic accountants on it, and they did take us through in some detail. I think what happens in these cases, and you know, I can't be certain about this, but their their job and their remit and what they're incentivized to do is to put people like Amish away for as long as possible, and they absolutely did that. His sentence was actually sixteen years, so he actually was sentenced to sixteen years in the initial in the initial Yeah, what's the detective's name, Tom Zadravak.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Tom did say he was told you all were looking probably realistically at three years for crime like this. Yeah, and he was so ecstatic when he got the sixteen years.
Speaker 4: He was like a dog with a bone.
Speaker 2: That man.
Speaker 4: He was amazing.
Speaker 3: And it was one of the biggest sentences for white collar crime in New South Wales that we'd ever seen, so it was significant. So in that regard, the police and Tom and his team did an incredible job and I'll be forever grateful for the work that they did on that because I know, you know, in talking to Tom, how hard it is to prosecute fraud and but I guess as part of that, their job is not to follow the money, you know, their job is not to rest until they find where that money went. Their job was to prove the crime and to say that there's no money left. So none of the victims got any money back. And I guess there's still, you know, this unanswered question in my mind that is there actually any money out there and there's no one looking for it, because of course, when you've lost all your money, you don't have the funds or the resources to pay a private investigator go looking. So you know, we've just had to accept that. But you know, i'd be very interesting to see, you know, what happens in a couple of years or whatever when when Hamish is out, and whether there's access to money anywhere.
Speaker 2: What what's your ideal outcome?
Speaker 3: I have accepted that I will never see that money again, and I mean the ideal outcome is that I get my money back, but I think that that I think that's a very long long shot for any of us and Hamish.
Speaker 2: What's your ideal outcome there?
Speaker 3: Look, just that I have nothing nothing to do with him ever again. I mean, I would like to hope that he there is some level of rehabilitation. What I know about him and the type of person he is, and over the length of time that he's done what he's done globally, don't I don't hold out too much hope. But at the end of the day, it's up to him. You know, he's the only one that knows what's going to happen, and he's the only one that's in control of that. I guess For me, I have chosen to spend my energy on rebuilding my own life, focusing on my daughter, my career, becoming financially stable again, and you know, in the in these last few years, expressing what happened in the form of a book to make sure that not one more person goes through what I went through.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Tracy, thank you for coming on. I really appreciate me.
Speaker 4: I love your voice as well.
Speaker 3: You're so calming. You should do meditations. Oh okay, yeah, I would totally fall asleep to your voice.
Speaker 4: I mean, flat timer every night.
Speaker 3: I'll not in a creepy way, not a creepy way, just like in a really light child relaxed.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: In the anults and I have a think about it. Thank you for being so honest, so upfront, vulnerable and reliving these parts.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on your book. Good luck with the sales of it. I really hope you do well. To me, you just you just can't trust anyone.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: That's what breaks my heart because at the end of the day, you have to look at your own family and friends.
Speaker 2: Who do I trust?
Speaker 1: That could happen to me? So I'm just gonna I know that that's a negative thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, say a.
Speaker 3: Butt, Well, I like I definitely see the world differently now, Yeah, good, because I you know, I probably you know, I've never come across anyone like Hamish before. I don't, I don't know anyone like that. But what I would say is that Hamish is an outlier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 3: Think if you go through the world only looking for the red flags, that love and kindness can't exist in that world, and that, for me, is a shitty place to live and I don't want to live in I don't want to live in that world. So I choose to believe that he is the outlier. I do think that we need to be vigilant. I do think we need to be more aware, more critical. I was probably not critical enough in my thinking, and not to say that I could have critically thought my way out of the fact that the man that was, you know, spooning me in bed every night was also plotting to destroy me. But I think, you know, there's I just want there to be an awareness. I know that I won't be the last victim. I hope that I am, but the let just sometimes just having a little thought in your head that there's a level of awareness, not that you're looking in everyone like this. But I don't know, I choose to believe that the world is a pretty incredible place. He is an outlier, he deserves to be where he is, and the rest of us, you know, I don't think we should go through the world not being trustful, but just being curious, a bit more curious.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that that's actually helped me. You've helped me.
Speaker 4: I don't want you to feel bad leaving this combo.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, that's my own shit, isn't it that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: But I really really respect that opinion and that view of life, and I really appreciate you saying that. So I am just so glad that you are at that place in your life because that's where you deserve to be, and.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad that you're there. And we'll just leave it at that. Thank you so much, Tracy
Speaker 4: Thanks Avie, so nice to meet you.