Speaker 1: A good A team good Patrick, gooda good a Tiff Hey, Tiff and I were just talking while you're off having a Wii, Patrick or whatever you were doing, just backing one out and really.
Speaker 2: Thirty second not even thirty seconds in, and it's just too cras well.
Speaker 1: It wasn't yours, wasn't it for I? That was back and so don't.
Speaker 2: Blame us leading something down with a fountain pen. The you go, they say that, do you use a pen?
Speaker 1: So Diff and I were talking about like high pitched noises. I don't know how it came up.
Speaker 3: Because I had to go turn the exhaust fan off because I just heard it, and then I couldn't unhear it.
Speaker 1: That's right. So in my office where I'm at now, if Melissa's over here doing work junk and whatever, there's apparently a sound in my office that she can hear, and she's like, oh my god, doesn't that annoy you? I can't even hear it, Like it's not like I don't find it annoying, I can't actually hear it. And then Tip was telling me, will you tell the story.
Speaker 3: I used to work at a restaurant in Tazzy and they had this electric kind of frequency thing plugged into the PowerPoint that kept ants away, that ants could hear it and wouldn't come. And I could hear it. I could hear the noise. And I said the harves was for annoying little critters, and yeah, I could hear it.
Speaker 2: So if you can hear a repetitive winding sound when you're with Craig, it's Craig.
Speaker 1: Very hopeful.
Speaker 3: And here I am unplugging everything all the time, wondering what doesn't go away?
Speaker 4: Now, what's interesting?
Speaker 2: I can remember I've got a young guy who works for me after school. And there's a level or a tone at which, as we get older we can't hear it.
Speaker 4: And there was a while.
Speaker 2: There where teenagers were playing music in school classrooms or playing noises that the teachers couldn't because they were too old.
Speaker 4: So there's a.
Speaker 2: Range of frequency range that only young people can actually hear.
Speaker 4: I thought that was really interesting.
Speaker 1: You know, you two are being very hurtful to me.
Speaker 5: We're sorry, Harps, we love you.
Speaker 1: Very insecure. Yeah, I think that's a thing. I think that that not being able to It's the same with dogs. Don't dogs hear a certain pitch that humans can't hear.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you too.
Speaker 1: Should test that now, Patrick, I sent you a I mean you are the tech guy. I knew the guy that comes up with the topics, but I sent I saw something this week in the tech realm that I thought, oh my god, my friend would my friend would love not only would he love one of these, but I think he would fucking love this job. Tell Tiff what and our listeners what I sent you?
Speaker 4: Look In the most simplest terms, it's a jet pack.
Speaker 2: It's a lot more sophisticated than the ones that I saw when I was fourteen at the Royal Melbourne Show that I've been drooling over since I was fourteen. But a British company has called test called Gravity now allows people to do test flights.
Speaker 4: Of this jet pack and it is amazing.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a cross between the backpack, but it also looks a bit like Iron Man from the Marvel movies.
Speaker 4: And so Craigo sent it through to me.
Speaker 2: But I did a bit more research Crago because when we go to the UK, we can do these test flights.
Speaker 4: So there's a special offer.
Speaker 2: At the moment it's one five hundred pounds, but then if you do the full flight experience.
Speaker 4: It kind of jumps a little bit.
Speaker 2: More, but I figure you could shout it's two hundred pounds and then to do a whole day of flight training it jumps. This is just the training is six six hundred, so probably about ten grand to do a day's training.
Speaker 1: The idea of learning to fly a jetpack sounds fraught with danger.
Speaker 2: Now they have a gantry right with ropes and supports and all that. See, that's the thing. You go there and they tether you to this gantry so that you're safe. But I want to be out in the forest and just fly over lakes and all that sort of stuff. But you know, there are some places you can go to, I think in Queensland, and they have these water based jet packs. So what they It's like you've got a jet ski underneath you and as you start to move, it just uses water to propel you.
Speaker 4: Have you seen that tip?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've seen those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really want to do that. Maybe we could do that.
Speaker 2: Craig go on holiday in Queensland and just do the water jet pack experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it sounds super gay, but you're gay, but I'm not. But that's okay. It's okay, it's okay that it's going to.
Speaker 2: Come with us, you and I go to the water park.
Speaker 1: Really, can we not go to the UFC as well? Can we not do something?
Speaker 4: What about the trucks? What's what's the trucks?
Speaker 1: Can we just upset the water parks with fucking monster trucks?
Speaker 2: Are you telling me that putting on a water jet pack is gay and monster trucks isn't?
Speaker 4: Like? What the hell?
Speaker 1: What? I don't know, I don't know. It just no, just you and me going to the water parks in Queensland on a holiday, you know, But that's all right, I said, sporty, I'm com before we go on. I just remembered we had heaps of messages this week with I don't know why. I don't know why we don't have a photo of you up much, but there was a photo of you and Tiff, But I thought we have your scone on maybe because it was on general distribution and not on our page. But how many people say, oh, Patrick's nothing like what I thought? Like, I don't know. That's either a compliment or an insult.
Speaker 4: We thought it was dark and handsome.
Speaker 1: Either way, it's an insult because like either they think you've got this fucking movie star voice and then they see your head and they're like, oh that's disappointing, or the other way or the other way around. They think your movie star looks but you've got a ship voice. What do you get that? Have you had that feedback before?
Speaker 4: No, but I'm going to go from cry for a bit.
Speaker 1: Well you do have the dulcin No. I think you're quite a good looking man, but you also have a good look at Let's go to the water parks in Queensland. No, but you do. Sorry, I'm just fucking hell. Well, clearly I'm no good at women. So let's fucking let's try it. Let's see what happens. Are you speaking of relationships? I know I'm digressing, but you two are pretty much at the verge of a life together. Can you explain to Tiff what we would I know this is inappropriate, but fuck our listeners.
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 1: Our listeners love this bit the best.
Speaker 3: They like I'm not to post I'm not opposed to a situation ship with Patrick.
Speaker 2: Actually, look I love that, and you know why when we have a private conversation do you then bring it up in the podcast?
Speaker 4: Can I tell my operating things. I said it.
Speaker 2: I was saying, I really enjoyed hanging out with Tiff last weekend, and I could be in a relationship with her. I said, it'd be everything except sex. We could probably spoon, but.
Speaker 4: She's awesome. Look, seriously, Tiff.
Speaker 2: Is just the ideal, perfect person everything. I'd tick all the boxes there, Tiff.
Speaker 3: Now, perhaps did mentioned it last night, and I've booked out some time to go dress shopping.
Speaker 4: So awesome, So I'd be up for that. Not for you, a dress for her, you idiot, heard a company.
Speaker 1: See I reckon Now. Patrick's proposal to me was not that kind of proposal. His hypothetical scenario with you was he would marry you. He said he would marry you if you would allow him a semi regular, you know, Saturday night off dalliance with somebody with a cock. Well, I mean, all right, okay, and boy, all right? Well whatever?
Speaker 3: Fuck?
Speaker 1: I don't know these.
Speaker 4: Days goes from bad to worse.
Speaker 1: No, Well, I mean obviously he likes boys, not girls, but he could marry you.
Speaker 5: And what did you say, harps when he.
Speaker 1: Said that, I said, well, you're about forty, dude, so that's not I mean you say that yourself, so it's not like the worst combo.
Speaker 5: Oh well when we when?
Speaker 4: When?
Speaker 5: When are we all going to put it together?
Speaker 2: This went to the wedding projeck dating, so this could be the first t YP marriage.
Speaker 1: I mean, like anything goes in twenty twenty four, so why not? I mean, you guys, apart from the sex bit, I think you guys would be a stellar couple. And if you could go live in the country and then your dogs could be best friends, that'd become brothers, sisters, sisters, well siblings, canine siblings. As long as Fritz didn't eat fucking the cat bears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I think yeah, cats would get it over a dog anytime because cats have sharp claws. I think I wouldn't let Fritz near an angry cat.
Speaker 1: All right, can you two stop distracting me? Let's talk. Isn't it funny when I'm the problem on my own show with that doubt?
Speaker 2: A couple of really nice segues right throughout this conversation. So I'm going to jump in and not let you start. So I got to say, now I missed out on it, but that you were there. We caught up in castle Maine because we went to well, you went to a concert and it's where you featured, didn't you.
Speaker 5: A little bit? A little bit just saying of a.
Speaker 2: Song video clip, I feel like I'm in the presence of someone famous.
Speaker 4: Craig.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is why you want to marry her, because you're a bloody.
Speaker 5: You're a wannabe writing on my coattails.
Speaker 1: That's you're a groupie, like just because Tip's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Now you don't have to marry her dragging along by the straps on your your boxing gloves.
Speaker 1: Hey. Now.
Speaker 2: The reason I thought about this though, was because there's some study that's come out into shared music experiences. So what it revealed is that obviously when we listen to music, I can evoke a reaction, so you know, if it's a ode. To Joy, for example, is probably one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written by Beethoven. And by coincidence, every year ABC Classic FM does a one hundred countdown and their topic this year was the top one hundred feel good tunes and to Joy we all know O to Joy, Yeah, to google it, you'll know it. So shared music experiences extenuate the sensation. So listening to a really good piece of music, kind of voke reaction. But what the study has found is if you share it with somebody else, it enhances it even more, and the connectedness between you and the person you're sharing it with. And when I think back to some of the best concerts I've ever been in or been to, what's enhanced that even more is the person I was there with at the time, enjoying it with. So I went to Imagine Dragons a few years ago with my nephew and his girlfriend, and you know, it was embarrassing for them because I sing along with all the songs.
Speaker 4: Do you do that tip?
Speaker 3: Did you do? No?
Speaker 5: I definitely known lip sync?
Speaker 4: Do you sing a long? Crego?
Speaker 5: He's got a great singing voice.
Speaker 1: I do not. I do not.
Speaker 5: You do have a great singing voice, though.
Speaker 1: I can sing vaguely in tune. But if I'm at a concert, no one needs me fucking warbling next to them while the actual artists are on stage.
Speaker 3: I save birthday songs from harps on my voicemail and listen to them regularly.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's really great. I didn't know that about you, Crego.
Speaker 5: M It's true. She's denying it. But it's actually true.
Speaker 4: True, So that's that's really impressive.
Speaker 2: If you can, I think, if you can hold a tone, even depending on your vocal range, just being able to keep your voice in tone I think makes the biggest difference as to listening experience is pleasurable or not. But so this study showed that sharing music even virtually can really enhance the pleasure. And we're talking about triggering in orphans. It was a study published by e Science and they looked across the effects with a number of different experiments online with participants in the United States and France. So even listening with somebody, So remember the old mixtapes and you'd put a headphone in one ear and you'd share the earpiece with another person, and then you wonder, that's.
Speaker 1: God, you're you're so fucking old. But I remember that, I remember, I remember this is how old I am. Bro I remember making mixtapes, pressing play and record on the cassette player off the radio.
Speaker 4: Ye, me too, and then you just.
Speaker 1: Missed the start of the song because the fucking DJ was introing it right, and then they kind of just wind it up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was really annoying when they talked over the intro to the Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, those were the days though. That was I mean, there's lots of research out on the relationship or the impact of music on people's nervous system. So if, for example, you hear something like ode to Join it, Like, the interesting thing too, is it's like you might hear a piece of music like somebody loves classical music, and that switches on their parasympathetic you know, the calm parasympathetic nervous system at lowers their heart rate, blood pressure, slows their breathing, right, and that's because they love it. Somebody else fucking hates it, right, and it does the opposite. So it's not like this music produces a universal response. Like some people love country and western it's all they listen to. For other people, the same song is like, you know, fingernails on a blackboard. So, but it is interesting the way that your physiology responds to differently to the same stimulus to someone else.
Speaker 4: Well, it's amazing, that's said.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting that if you book a survey, and that's why I like the top one hundred countdown, but to have so many people vote and that number one song being owed to Joy out of all their listenership, and we're talking tens of thousands of people, hundreds of thousands of people who vote on this.
Speaker 4: I just thought it was.
Speaker 2: Quite interesting because it's one that I would have put it really high on the list for me. And it's funny when people say that I don't like classical music and then you say, oh, did you like that movie? Turn the music down or turn the audio down when you're watching a scary movie or an uplifting rom com and the music just helps with the sense of the emotion. If you watch something, you know, like a Stephen King film and you turn the music if it's not scary anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I think also with research, I had to be a fucking kill joy. But if you ask that same question to a thousand people under thirty, you're not getting owed to Joy as the answer.
Speaker 2: But if they, if they hear it with the music and the way that it's composed, still have that same effect.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean it depends like it's like music is a really powerful thing, isn't it, And it's like you.
Speaker 2: Report next time I've got my sixteen year old in I'm going to put a set of headphones on him, and I'm going to play three pieces of music. You guys choose one piece each. I'll choose the Joy. If you guys want to choose one each, then I'll play all three and we'll get him to do a rating of one to ten on each piece of music, and we'll see if the Joy comes out on top.
Speaker 5: I don't choose the Boxer, what of course you do?
Speaker 4: Come on, Craig, you got to choose a piece of music.
Speaker 1: Just that one sixteen year old kid constitutes a study?
Speaker 5: Any rand?
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a mini study.
Speaker 2: Come on, choose a piece of music on the spot.
Speaker 1: Ala Lujah?
Speaker 4: Oh no, that's true?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I will play all three, and but I'm going to say I'm going to tell you which version of Ala Lujah?
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll go and then well, I've.
Speaker 1: Got to find I've just got to find the right artist. Not Katie Lang. She does a good version, but there are better versions.
Speaker 4: All right? Done?
Speaker 2: Can I give a shout out to the Dale Patterson who sent me a link.
Speaker 4: He's one of our listeners from Geelong and he sent me a link.
Speaker 2: To a really cool tech website which was really interesting so I.
Speaker 1: Love how you say can I and then you do it. No you can't, can't fiance, No, no, you can't shout out to Dale? What what was Dale emailing you about?
Speaker 4: A tech website? Just lots of gadgets and stuff.
Speaker 2: Of course, a fellow geek is he I don't know. Wouldn't want to wrap him up in that bundle. I don't think that's very nice. I don't know him. He could be a a nice, interesting person.
Speaker 1: And I love geeks. We love geeks. We love you. Hey. One of the things that I've been interested in and we've spoken about, I think once or twice maybe, or maybe we haven't, but I feel like we have is animals and language and how elephants have their own language, dolphins have their own language. And I think you have a story in the space.
Speaker 2: Well, just there's a nice little seguay to that too. Do you know elephants? Actually, it's now thought they have names. They name each other, so they rock up in the middle of the jungle and say, hey, Bob, how are you not too bad?
Speaker 4: Betty? Now it's interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But I do have a story about this, because look for me, I reckon, I've got a good handle on the kind of mood that Fritz is in. And you know when a dog wags its tail and has all these different cues. As a dog owner is a pet owner, tiff, you would have a fairly good indication as to whether your pet's happy or sad or excited, idable and all that sort of stuff. But it's now thought that AI potentially could actually translate what a dog is saying when it barks.
Speaker 4: So imagine that if with every bark.
Speaker 2: A wine, or a growl, you could even know what the dog is effectively trying to communicate to you, and then in the future they could even.
Speaker 4: Translate what craigs say.
Speaker 2: No, But when you think about it, using AI to analyze the tonal vocalizations of dogs, they say they can distinguish between playful barks, aggressive growls, identify characteristics and even the age and the breed of the dog by the sound that it makes.
Speaker 1: Wow, here's what dog dogs are saying. Four things right. Dogs are saying I need a shit. Yeah, they're saying I want to go for a walk, give me some fucking food, and I love you. That's the four things dogs are saying. So you're welcome. I just broke the code.
Speaker 4: But you know, when a dog wags its tail, most people associate that with being excited. So you meet a new dog and the tail starts wagging. But what people don't realize is depending on which way the tail is leaning to so it will predominantly go left or right, can actually mean apprehensive and potentially be not so much a show of aggression but a show of apprehension.
Speaker 2: So when two dogs meet each other, the tail can be wagging, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're happy. It could mean that they're apprehensive about meeting the other dog or the situation that they're in, just by which way the tail goes.
Speaker 4: So yes and no.
Speaker 1: Well, when I introduce you to new people, I always look at the way that your tail wags, and I can tell if you're a little bit kind of like fearful or joyful. That's why I always walk around the back.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a thing that people get dressed up as what do they call that up play?
Speaker 1: Is that it Well, there are people that let's not open. That let's not open?
Speaker 4: Can we can we continue on the AI theme.
Speaker 2: I thought this was really awesome because I think probably about a year ago, there was a photographer who entered a photo competition with an AI image and won it, and of course then it was revealed that the photo wasn't a real photograph, it had been generated by AI, and then he was disqualified and it made all the headlines and there's all this controversy. Well, a different photographer, a guy by the name of Miles Astra, has done the exact opposite. He's entered a photo competition where there was a category for AI generated artwork or AI generated photography, but he put a real image in and he won competition, and it was this really amazing photograph of a pink flamingo, and the judges and everybody thought, this is fantastic.
Speaker 4: Is an AI amazing?
Speaker 2: And the photographer said he actually it was a real photograph, and so he then got disqualified for submitting a real photograph in an AI competition.
Speaker 4: So I thought, it's kind of interesting that.
Speaker 2: And we're not talking just run of the mill people off the street, you and me. We're talking about some pretty smart people from Getty Images, the New York Times, you know, Christie's. So the judges knew what they were talking about, and they kind of had a real sense of.
Speaker 4: What a good photograph is.
Speaker 2: But I just thought it was kind of great to flip it around and that this photographer came up with the idea. So this guy Miles Astray and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good on him.
Speaker 2: It was the eighteen thirty nine Color Photography Awards, and so he actually won two categories.
Speaker 4: One is he came third in.
Speaker 2: The I think it was the judges Award, and then he came first in the People's Vote Award.
Speaker 4: So everyone was fulled.
Speaker 1: Everyone was tricked. I don't know that that's going to happen too often moving forward, but I like real photography. Hey, I don't really know what this is about, and this isn't on our list of things to chat about, but maybe you know. So Melissa who is like the Apple queen, Like if you could marry Apple, Melissa would marry Apple.
Speaker 4: I've got competition. What I've got competition?
Speaker 1: Oh she is? She crushes so hard. You know Apple is gay as well, right, Well, if Apple brought out a toilet, she'd get an Apple toilet, like she would get any Apple product. But this week, didn't Apple launch something. Didn't they wheel out something like their version of chat GPT or some verged it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, This is really controversial.
Speaker 2: In fact, it was something that I was going to talk about because what's happened is they've basically Apple has this big event and it talks about all their new up and coming stuff, and one of the things they're talking about is merging AI into the Siri operating system, so they're taking the next so it's a big makeover for Siri.
Speaker 4: So effectively, what.
Speaker 2: It's going to do is going to make Siri more natural, more relevant, they're saying, more personal.
Speaker 4: It's got a new look.
Speaker 2: The icon's been made to look different and it glows better. But what they're saying now is that you can also handle things like stumbles in speech, so if someone has a stutter, it'll better understand context. And you can also type to Syria, and it can answer questions about how you use your iPhone and you iMac and your iPad and all.
Speaker 4: That sort of thing.
Speaker 2: The other thing it'll also be able to do is interact with the other apps on your phone, so that's one of the things that Siri hasn't been able to do in the past. So you can get it to go and interact with other apps, and it's going to make the user experience a lot better.
Speaker 4: However, there is a little bit of controversy.
Speaker 2: Now we know that Elon Musk loves to be the controversial person, but.
Speaker 4: He's come out.
Speaker 2: Elon Musk has this love hate relationship with AI, so he effectively a second This was announced by Apple within hours, He's tweeted about saying that he's going to cancel iPhones, that none of his staff will be allowed to bring iPhones into the building and if they do, they'll be told to take out.
Speaker 4: Their iPhones and their iPhones will be put in a Faraday cage. Do you know what a Faraday cage is? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So they's yeah, like, but nobody will be allowed to enter any of his buildings, like customers, nobody with an Apple product.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean mind you he's I think he's suing open AI or there's some sort of case going on at the moment.
Speaker 4: So there's there's a bit of bad blood there.
Speaker 2: But the reason he says that he doesn't want this integration or he thinks it's a bad thing, is that he feels that effectively, what it's going to do is it's just going to make them spying devices. He says that you know effectively it's just going to to kind of run a muck and that people will be able to spy on him using their iPhones.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I've noticed recently using chat GPT four point zero. Patrick James is that old mate who sounds like Tim Ferriss. That's the dude that talks to me, sounds exactly like Tim Ferriss. He doesn't always get my Australian accent. So sometimes I just need to americanize the question because I don't type. I usually just talk like you know how you can just ask it a question and then it types and gives audio for the answer. So sometimes it says, oh, I think you're asking you know? And then then I say it again with a less Boganny voice, and it understands what I'm saying. So I wonder if the new Apple product can understand Bogans. Maybe probably a Bogan friendly Bogan friendly AI. I bet they don't even know what that is over there?
Speaker 4: Not a chance if you were going to say something, because I.
Speaker 3: Was going to say joy, let everyone else know? Could I had to google it? Anyone that mightn't know what a Faraday cage is?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So Faraday cage if you can imagine just a wire mesh around you.
Speaker 4: So they usually use them during experiments.
Speaker 2: So if you were you know how you can have like a basically, if you if you had lightning come down, you could protect yourself inside a Faraday cage. So it insulates you from an electrical discharge.
Speaker 4: Is that all the right answer, Tiff?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it protects from an electromagnetic radiation and if you're interference. I was thinking it might just be a lock box, and I thought I might get one for chocolate around here, But.
Speaker 4: Have you your chocolate from last weekend already?
Speaker 2: I ate it on the way home, so did I didn't get out of the car, so we bought chocolate at the chocolate shop. Mine didn't make it back to the land. It was only about forty five minutes away.
Speaker 5: One didn't even.
Speaker 3: Make it out of Castle Maye or Castle Maine if you're fancy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, is it Castle made or Castle Maine?
Speaker 2: Maybe someone from Castle Maine or Castle Magan tell us, I never know, Crag, I said.
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: It? I think people from up there call it castle. I'm a bogan, so I call it castle. But I think interestingly. And this's got nothing to do with tech. But remember if that dude we had on I think his name is Dean Morby, the Power Left to Do. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's from Castle, Maine and all these homies up there, so shout out to I mean, this is just we'll come back in thirty seconds, Patrick. But this guy trains a whole lot of older citizens, a lot of fifty plus, sixty seventy plus, and he's basically well last time I spoke to him. Anyway, I assume he's still doing it. He had essentially a power lifting Jim Castle May Yeah, for all these old people, and yeah, what's that? What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Castle?
Speaker 2: I looked up how to pronounce Castlemaine and that's what it came up as.
Speaker 1: Castle Maine. It's brittish.
Speaker 4: How can that work now? And it didn't work earlier?
Speaker 2: So I was only playing it so I could listen to it myself, and I didn't realize you guys could hear it. But just for the sake of those people who didn't hear it the first time, Castle.
Speaker 5: Maine, I.
Speaker 1: Think everyone, all right, that's enough now, Patrick, I think everyone in the world other than nausies pronounces it parcel Maine. I think all right, back on Bogan, Bogan Bergan, Like, what's hilarious is when posh person says bogan, So it doesn't sound like crass anymore?
Speaker 5: And can you make it pronounce the sea word? That trick?
Speaker 1: No, no, tiff? When did you become me?
Speaker 5: Sounds so polite? I thought it might really soundly polite.
Speaker 4: But genuinely speaking, you don't want to see your does Craig?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Sorry you said the sea thing? I thought you meant craig.
Speaker 1: God, I'm fucking copying it today. What's a collective noun for bogan heard bogue? No, not the not the plural, the collective noun, I don't know. Like a flock, a flotilla, a murder, a gaggle of craigs, a gaggle of cra Yeah, for sure it would be what about all right? Come on? Can we get back on this terrible?
Speaker 4: Are we scared about the Siri AI integration?
Speaker 2: Do you want your phone knowing everything and being able to do stuff without you even needing to ask it to tip?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a bit weird, isn't it. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Does that mean though? Being able to without being without asking it.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so we spoke about this a couple of weeks ago. When I recently had an update to Android Auto in my car using my Android phone, I had a whole lot of text messages come through from a single person. Because young people don't send one text, they don't do a paragraph, they do line by line by line. So a friend of mine sent me five text messages.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So my car then responded and said, you've just received a whole lot of text messages from this person. Would you like me to summarize what the conversation was about? And I said, yeah, that's great, Google, go for it. And it did. It summarized the whole thing, so rather than bombarding me with five different text messages, it just gave me the gist of what the conversation was about. So that's where AI is being employed, and it's great in the car, you don't want to be disturbed by a stack of text messages. So I mean, that's just one really simple example of potentially what.
Speaker 4: It could do.
Speaker 2: But I like the idea of a bogan translator or you know what about if someone stutters and has an accent, But those things actually do have a lot of and a lot of merit because it's going to make life a lot easier for people and more accessible. So it will make that text sery or you know, or whatever the android aut diversion is or android. So I kind of like the idea ish. I think Elon Musk is just doing the publicity stunt thing into.
Speaker 1: What if there was a Seri or there was AI that kind of had its own personality and some days it was just like having a bad day. It's like and you you know, you open it up and it goes, what fucking what now?
Speaker 2: But it'd be good if you could choose the mood for the day to match your move, so you know, the shitty mood, over the top nice mood.
Speaker 4: You could do the TIFFs, the Patrick and the Greg mood.
Speaker 1: What if you ask it a question and it's like, that's a fucking stupid question. Try harder, Like seriously, you're not asking me that, Like AI with attitude?
Speaker 4: Can I make an admission?
Speaker 2: So my identical twin brother, genetically identical to me, he rang me up and he was telling me about a tech problem that he had, and I got to the point where I thought, how could you be so stupid and.
Speaker 4: Not understand this because we're genetically identical.
Speaker 2: It's like, you don't understand it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because you've exposed yourself to a lot of training and education experience.
Speaker 4: I should have listened to that whole sentence, shouldn't I have?
Speaker 1: Well, you've you've got knowledge he hasn't. That's not about genetics. That's just about what you've learned versus what he's learned.
Speaker 2: It was pretty basically paste or something I don't know, with something simple if you rolled his eyes and said, yeah, I don't know how, he doesn't do it anyway.
Speaker 4: All right, cybersecurity, let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, you have a business, a small business, a business of sorts.
Speaker 4: How CyberSecure are you?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 4: Reckon?
Speaker 1: I'm not the person to ask. I'm about as CyberSecure as a fucking box of clinics. That's out tough.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's relevant though?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm probably asking a really obvious question because if I know you've been through this whole debarcle and the stress of having to go through this yourself. But I think that well, there's a lot of warnings coming out now and we're talking this is like across the board. So this is from a government level, both in Australia and also overseas as well. The United States has when his cyber attacks were state driven. So what I'm saying is it's not just independent. You know, some Russian bloke sitting in his back shed trying to hack into your computer, but these a state sanctioned where certain states well, and it's kind of commonly known that China has a very active operation in hacking as well, so state sanctioned hacking. And I think more sixty percent of small business owners say that hackers are their biggest fear. This was according to the US Chamber of Commerce. But sixty percent is a massive amount. And you heard about the hack recently at the NHS in the UK. This only happened in the last fortnight, so happened wassh Yeah? Anyway, the National Health Service NHS was hacked into, but it was so bad that they ended up resorting to using paper for communications and people who were on waiting lists for surgery had to be put off. It impacted and potentially could have caused major problems for people who were needed urgent surgery. And it makes you realize how vulnerable potentially we could be whether it's public services, could be like our electricity supply, water, that sort of stuff. So it kind of opens it up. And when you run a small business, because you tend not to have the infrastructure, you don't have somebody who's running your IT network, that kind of tends.
Speaker 4: To leave you more vulnerable as well.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, it's something certainly that I've thought about, but because I guess a little bit more tech savvy, I think about the security implications of what it means for the data that I store. But when you think about all the data that you've got crago, you know, your research at the moment, how are you protecting that research?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it is stored. I don't know. I don't do that bit, but I don't know. I don't know it's in a cupboard. I don't know a cyber cupboard. I don't know, Patrick, I can don't ask me. I know how to get into it and access it. It's not my job. I don't do security. But it's funny you asked, right, because I'm old. But then I think about with the rapid evolution of computing, you know, quantum computers, arriving next Wednesday, right, and the world is that like the way that we buy and sell and bank and you know, medicine and all of that. Like my dear old mum and dad. I look at them, and twenty twenty four is bewildering for my mum and dad. Like it just that and they're not dumb people, but it's just it's just I don't know. I don't know what the answer is because we can't stop technological advancement. But I feel so sorry. Like I went out two weekends ago with mum and dad and their friends. So there was like eight old people, I mean fucking old, fucking old as fuck, like Noah's friends, right, Jesus is fucking next door Nabors, right, and me and I was looking around the table and I was trying to explain to them what a podcast was, just something that simple. And I'm not at all being rude because they're fucking you know, in some ways they're way smarter than all of us, right, but yeah, I like, fuck and this is essentially you know, the best way you can explain it to them is it's kind of like a radio show that you can just listen to whenever you want, you know, but then more how do you how do you? Where is it on your phone? And then trying to go, well, so there's an app, and then that's like.
Speaker 4: Fuck, do they understand in streaming?
Speaker 1: Not not kind of, but you know, like none of them have Netflix, none of them have any of those platforms, and so I guess theoretically, but even when you explain to them something that for us and all of our listeners, it's like, well, how could somebody not understand that? It's a very different when you when you're trying to understand an eighty five year old person's worldview thinking through like TIFFs, you know, looking through TIFFs window, and she's probably more compassionate and understanding, but you know what I mean, it's like, well, of course this makes sense, but to them it makes no sense, you know, And I just I don't know. I think for me, that's something that I worry about for really old people like Mum is terrified of paying things electronically because she doesn't know what they're talking about, and the people at the bank or whatever or medicare they just talk to her like she's an idiot, because no, you just do this, And they talked to her quickly and dismissively, and she doesn't actually understand what it all means. Can I just say they worries me?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Can I just say too though? You do sometimes have a choice.
Speaker 2: And I'm not going to particularly name any of the different banks, but you've got the Big four, and then there are other banks as well, and there are community banks, and sometimes it's about voting with your feet.
Speaker 4: I recently had I live in a small town.
Speaker 2: We only had two banks in our town, and the big bank pulled out.
Speaker 4: One of the Big four pulled out of the township.
Speaker 2: So I pulled all of my money out of it and put it into the local community bank.
Speaker 4: I thought, you know what, bug you and I can walk.
Speaker 2: In there any time of day and I see them explaining things delicately, understanding they will talk them through you for older people, because generally it's older people who want to have that face to face. And I think that there's still ways to shop around, to ask around and not to get lumped in and be treated like that.
Speaker 4: So if you go to a telco provider, there's a lot of third party telco providers.
Speaker 2: Now, if you walk in and you're not satisfied, because you think you're being treated like a dummy, go somewhere else, vote with your feet.
Speaker 1: Everything you said makes sense to me. But if you said to my mum and dad go to a third party telco provider and vote with they'd be like, I don't know what the fuck do you mean? I mean, this is the point we all get that my mum and dad do not understand anything you just said. So that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I You know, I was so excited by this. The FBI recently hacked some hackers. And there are different ways that hackers can get into your system. So, you know, you click on a link and then they skim the information they want to get your ID so they can pretend that they're you. But the other thing they can do is they use ransomware where they take all of your data, they lock it up, they encrypt it, and then they exploit that and say, well, if you want your data back, you've got to pay.
Speaker 4: Us X amount of dollars. Okay, so that's ransomware.
Speaker 2: But now the FBI, I've managed to get seven thousand key keys to ransomware and they're just giving them away for free. So if someone a business, an individual, whatever gets hacked and they have all their data locked up. Now, the FBI has acts seven thousand ransomware keys, which I thought was really good, so you can basically get access to your data without having this whole ransom situation over the top of you. So it's good to see that the good guys, that the white hat hackers.
Speaker 4: Are getting their way around some of the naughty people out there. Crago.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I like it that there are white hat hackers.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 1: I love that idea. I did see on the news on I don't know what channel it was, but and it looked a bit weird to me this week a robotic thumb that people were yes, so instead of having four digits and one thumb, they had four fingers and two thumbs on one. So they've now essentially got six fingers on one hand. I'm not sure that's necessary, but tell us about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so this study showed that ninety eight percent of the people who took part in it were able to more successfully manipulate objects with a third thumb, and only thirteen people were unable to perform the task within the first minutes. So people put on this glove, it gives them an extra thumb, and within a minute, ninety eight percent were able to use it more effectively than their normal hand. So the dexterity was improved by having this augmentation, so it could be used in lots of areas. And they're saying that it's kind of like, you know, you're grasping ability, so the dexterity was increased as well. It's kind of really good. It's a robotic thumb. Would that be great, wouldn't it?
Speaker 1: Ah? I tell you who would love that? Mary for opening jars?
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, so you get the double thumbs up. How good's that?
Speaker 1: I'm not even lying when I was up there last Saturday, because I go every Saturday to take fucking hercules to the gym Ronnie mcgronstar, And yeah, Mary asked me to open multiple things because she was cooking, and you know she takes out the jars of whatever out of the fridge or the cupboard. I may as well just go up there to open jars every Saturday and then drive home. But if she had the robotic fucking thumb, she wouldn't need me. I'd become redundant.
Speaker 4: That's it, just a robotic thumb and that's all your work.
Speaker 1: What role does Craig play is essentially a robotic thumb. It comes at no cost.
Speaker 2: It must be pretty easy to use if people only took sixty seconds to be able to feel comfortable using it, because I would think that if you had a glove with an extra thumb pointing out, that would be weird.
Speaker 4: But evidently not.
Speaker 2: That says a lot about the user experience. If it's that easy to pick up and start working with, don't you reckon?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I guess I mean more, I don't know, maybe more importantly, like for people who like amputees who have had accidents or whatever, you think, what are the potential applications. There's a well known fuck. I think his name is Paul Gelder. It might be he is a guy who had one of his arms bitten off and or like his forearm and hand and one of his legs bitten off. Paul dig Gelder, Paul de Gelder, Thanks tiff In believe it or not. Patrick Sidney Harbor shark attack like like, imagine being fucking attacked by a shark and he was a navy diver, but he's got these motherfucker of a bionic end and he's jacked, like he's this bit strong, jacked athletic dude. And he's got a prosthetic bionic arm and hand and also a leg I think, or just a prosthetic leg. But yeah, I think that's one of the I think pretty soon we're going Look, this is just what I think. I could be wildly wrong, but I think we're going to see in the next decade we're going to see quadriplegics walking through, you know, with the stuff that they can now do with not only the spine and the nervous system, but also robotics and and you know, imagine, imagine people like our friend tif Joel SARTI imagine, fuck, how good would that be for him to be able to get to that point in time? And Yeah, I think it's exciting. I think for me, this is the well, one of the there's many, but one of the upsides Patrick of like this kind of genius that is coming online is that when we can do stuff like help people walk that would never have been able to walk, you know, for me, that's it's it's all all the negative is worth it if we can do things like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's lots of different trains of thought too.
Speaker 2: There's the exoskeleton where they basically have an exoskeleton around the non functioning limbs, the legs. Of course, you could then you know, match that up with say the brain implant, so you do it that way. But but I think we've spoken about this before as well, bypassing the injury to the spine where you yeah, an ability to actually have the nerve tissue connected and bypass the broken connection there and so potentially that.
Speaker 4: Could be as well. So I'm super exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you think about the muscles, like, for example, if somebody gets say a let's say between the shoulder blades, so the thoracic so at T five or six, right, and so they their arms work, but their legs don't work. But their legs actually work. It's just that there's no basically juice getting to the legs, you know. So as you said, like the actual muscles, there's nothing wrong with the muscles, they're just not getting any neural connection for the brain to make the legs work. So yeah, if you could build a little kind of a neural bridge over that break so that that signal gets through, I mean, I reckon you and I could probably figure that out on a weekend. If we really put our minds.
Speaker 5: To it, can get the crab to build it.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I could conceptualize it. You know, I do work at Brain Park or I do research at Brain Park, So fuck, how hard can it be? I'm kidding everyone, Please don't send me hate emails.
Speaker 4: But I love through the door. They did, they not filter? People look like.
Speaker 1: I'm like the stupid mascot. You know, have AFL clubs have a mascot. I'm the Brain Park mascot. I just fucking walk around bumping into shit and people pat.
Speaker 5: Me Brain Park Labrador.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, the one who's pushing at the door that says Paul.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like I just pushed my head against the door until someone hears me banging and then they let me in. It's sad, but like I love the pats and the food.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So talking about uplifting technology, this was I thought, this is a nice little segue. So the Chinese drone manufacturer Dji has for the first time ever flown a drone to the top of Everest up up to one of the base stations at Everest. Because the air is quite thin and it's hard to get the lift capacity. And what they're talking about is using the fly cart thirty to be able to fly up there. So we're talking six thousand meters six kilometers up and it was able to.
Speaker 4: Be able to deliver.
Speaker 2: Resources up to people at the top of Everest or up up that high. And because the big the problem there is the high winds, the sub zero temperatures, is a whole lot of factors that have meant that drones in the past haven't been able to get up there. But it also means that they can clean up all the crap that's on top of Everest as well. There's a whole lot of junk up there, a lot of well lots of stuff up there, so they can a whole lot of dead people and dead people yeah, yep. So the good thing is that they were able to do this. They did a round trip and they still had forty three percent battery power by the end of it, which is kind of cool. And what it will do though, is it's going to make it a lot safer two because they do clean up parts of Everest, And what it's going to mean is that for the sherpas and people who are trying to preserve the natural area they can stand in pulling these drones. I thought that was really kind of cool that they're doing that with the drones. I had a personal example last weekend. I think I told Tip about this. I do a bit of drone photography and one of my clients wanted me to go out and do some drone work just around some earth moving that they were doing. And I left the land and I was only driving forty five minutes and it was nice and still kind of nice day. And I get to the location and they're gusting winds of forty five kilometers an hour and at one point the drone that I've got can at top speed can go about seventy clicks, so it's fast. If you put it into sport mode, it's pretty fast. So I had it in sport mode and it was still going backwards. Yeah, it was pretty full on. So I had to kind of fly closer to the ground and then move it to one location and then let the wind kind of push it at maximum speed.
Speaker 4: But that was kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: So when to fly all the way up, you know, to to that part of Everest and to you know, nineteen thousand six hundred and eighty five feet sounds more impressive than six thousand meters, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, six kilometers. The top of Everest is nearly nine kilometers, so that must be up to one of the base camps or one of the camp tours, but still six kilometers up in the air. Dude. Yeah, Like you think of a hundred story building that's one thousand feet usually because there's like ten foot a floor, so that that would be the equivalent of what did you say, how many thousand feet?
Speaker 4: Nineteen thousand feet?
Speaker 1: That'd be the equivalent of a nineteen hundred story building. That's fucking Hey, we needs jam. How can people find you my friend and come and you know, play with you and your drone? And also perhaps you need to organize the the wedding arrangements just so all of us can plan.
Speaker 2: Well. If someone wants to just chat about nerd stuff with me, I'm always happy to do that.
Speaker 4: And thank you Dale from Geelong.
Speaker 1: You get married if I'll pay for it.
Speaker 2: Ah, we want to go to Vegas, Tiff, Let's go to Vegas again.
Speaker 1: I'm not paying for your honey. If you want to get married, I.
Speaker 4: Pay for it. And we want to get married in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I will pay for your wedding up to a value of five thousand dollars. Has to be a legal wedding.
Speaker 4: You know this is being recorded, right you can't.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I'm happy if you actually really get married. I'll pay for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we will go to Vegas and get married.
Speaker 1: And then you're not getting married in Vegas. You've got to get married here. We need a real wedding and it needs to be legal, and me and the typ folks are going to come along.
Speaker 5: My mom's going to be so happy.
Speaker 4: Only if you're the bride's maid.
Speaker 1: I'll be the flower girl. I'll do security. I'll fucking sing, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people can contact me going to websites now, dot com, todau because Genesis effects is too.
Speaker 4: Hard to spell. So you know, I created my.
Speaker 2: Business name before the internet was a thing, and so no one knows how to spell genesis effects, so I just kind of created websites now dot com today you is the alternative. I mean, we do a lot of websites, so I guess that's a good reason to have that, But it's just the easiest way to spell what we do.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes we try and get too tricky with names. I think that I think your new name works best. Patrick, Thank you, Pa, thank you, thank you. I think this episode is going to be called Patrick and Tiff for getting married for sure,