Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the podcast Fear and Greed Business news. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mummer TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcast books, Instagram, threads, TikTok and more. Hello, Canna, Good morning Cana. A lot of people don't work in stable, consistent jobs, right, and I think the rise of the gig economy. I mean, the gig economy has always been there, but the rise and the the prevalence of platforms like kind of Uber and air Tasker and things like that, right have just made it so much easier for people to build an income or multiple streams of income out of the gig economy. It's great, but it can be a little bit unpredictable. So my question for you today is how do you save when your income is a regular Because saving money matters. We know that you've got to build up your emergency fund, you've got to keep your budget kind of in the black, but also if you want to get ahead through investing and stuff. You need to be able to put money into that, right, So how do you do it? Okay, do you want me to narrow it down slightly?
Speaker 2: We should also point out you don't have to be necessarily as part of the gig economy to have this inconsistent income. You know, for example, people who are commission based, you know, they were going to sales job. You know, their income fluctuates, you know, real estate agents. You know, it's might be a quite a month or two and then they might be flush with cash.
Speaker 1: Yep. Casual workers in a whole range of different jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even people working remotely, you know, seasonal work, you know, working in Santa Ski field, or people who work for say, cruise ships when they're on board, they're working, but when they're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any kind of freelance work, all that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So not just excluding people here, not just gig economy.
Speaker 1: No, it is much much much bigger than that, wider than that. Yeah, Okay, in that case, since we are now talking big picture, right, let's start with the bigger picture. Is saving even more important when your income is unpredictable to give yourself that buffer?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it is a non negotiable. It is an essential. It is that savings that you have set aside, well away from your everyday spending account, is that's going to help smooth out the highs and lows and will help you stay sane and safe during periods of time, maybe a couple of weeks, or maybe even a couple of months or even a year where that you have those really tight lean months.
Speaker 3: It is your lifeline.
Speaker 1: What, then, I suppose, is the biggest mistake that you see people making if they've gotten a regular income when it comes to saving. Is it not appreciating the importance of doing it when they've got a good week or a good month.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I see two of the most sort of common mistakes. Is number one is actually holding out thinking, you know what, we've had a really good month, or I've had a really good month this month, I'm just gonna spend a bit here and I'll save next month's you know, paypacket, And then you say the same thing the following month, and it never actually eventuates. You never actually start building up that safety money of that bar for a or that emergency fund. The other mistake I see is people assuming I guess it'd be like counting their chickens before their hatch. Is that the good times will just keep rolling and you know, their lifestyle just continues on and the lifestyle creep then kicks in and they don't actually realize their abnormal months or their abnormal successful periods of time that's not the norm. So they're the biggest mistakes I see, and they come with massive regret.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do you do it? Then? Is it a case of setting? And I want to talk to about budgeting as well. I will do that a little bit later on. But in terms of just saving, do you try to set a a specific dollar amount that you're going to save each month or does that not work when your income is variable?
Speaker 2: Look effects fixed amount is better than nothing at all, But I much prefer a flexible sort of dollar amount where you have sort of targets and any amount over this amount you normally own goes into this account. I have a big issue with these percentage systems. You know, the buckets, okay, like you know, spend fifty percent, save twenty percent, invest thirty percent. Like the hard and fast rules I find very limiting and leave people feeling like they've failed, and then they.
Speaker 3: Don't bother trying at all.
Speaker 2: You need, you know, if your income is fluid in that it is volatile. One month it's okay, next month it's averaged. In the following month it's miserable. But then you've got a great big paypack or a big check coming in. You've got to be keep your cash flow management fluid. It's why I like to talk about Yeah, and it's a really long analogy but which I won't go into in detail. But previously in other episodes I've spoken about being like a traffic control director with.
Speaker 3: Your cash foe.
Speaker 2: You've got to, you know, look at what the traffic is banking up. You've got to move traffic along. You've also got to work out whose turn is it to like sit and wait for a bit and let other people go past. You've kind of got to do that even more so, and that's one of the pressures that come with having a regular income and managing all of the expenses, because whilst your income fluctuates, our living expenses also fluctuate. We have expensive months, we have frugal months, we have low key months. We have unexpected expenses during months, So you know, you're juggling a lot, you've got to really stay.
Speaker 3: On top of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Just to kind of paint a picture of how that that might work, let's do a little example an exercise, shall we. So to keep it really simple, let's say one week you earn a thousand dollars, yes, all right, and then the next week you earn ten thousand dollars. It's an absolute per week. That one me too. I like that second week. But this is the risk I suppose of the percentage system. It's in that one thousand dollars week, so you have fifty percent of it going to your mortgage or rent. So there's five hundred dollars gone, and then you say that, okay, my next thirty percent is going to groceries, and then the next ten percent is going towards other bills, and then the final ten percent is my savings. All right. So that's one hundred dollars going into your savings, one hundred dollars into your other bills, three hundred dollars going into your groceries, all right, Okay, So that means that then you are putting aside hundred dollars one hundred dollars. That means then that the following week, when you make ten thousand, that means that you are only then putting one thousand dollars into savings, and all the other ones are just completely blown out of all proportion. Whereas you would be better to say, you've got your five hundred dollars for your for your mortgage or your rent, your three hundred dollars that you still need for your for your gross, you hundred dollars for your other bills, and then everything north of that, yes, suddenly means that you are putting aside nine thousand, one hundred dollars into your savings exactly.
Speaker 2: And this is why I don't like these hard and fast percentage systems. I think they are Look most people I can't even fit into these percentage systems a financial planner. But when you look at a dollar amount and you say, okay, well we need this much to pay for the rent, this much for groceries, this much for utilities and transport, and then we can sect like, look at what's left over and then divvy it up as a dollar amount, that's great. And then if you have another bumper of a month, you can keep adjusting it and have sort of goals that you work around it. So it is really important that you create something that is a boundary that is right for you and what you need, and can actually work with you to build that consistency and smooth out your cash flow.
Speaker 1: That doing that little exercise, I think probably illustrated it for me more than anything else that I've heard, because all of a sudden, you have built yourself up a very very nice buffer rather than just spending it because you think you can, because you're doing it on a percentage basis.
Speaker 2: And it feels really nice having emergency money. It is a great night sleep knowing I've got fifty thousand dollars in a separate savings account in case I have a few bad months, or if I lose my job or you know something, you know, my work drives up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is the key to this discipline, because otherwise how do you kind of stop yourself from going into panic mode I suppose in lean months and then over spending in the good months. Is it just about being really really strict with yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes, self control, But also it's about having a good memory, not necessarily a good memory of bad things that happened to you, but witnessing other people. So remembering God, I remember, you know, my best friend went through a really hard time, and you know, he or she didn't have an emergency money and they had to move back home or they had to sell their house. You know, those sorts of things like capitalizing on someone else's lesson can be really powerful and helping you stay focused and motivated and having that sense of discipline because you build a sense of respect just to what that buffer account or that emergency money, whatever you want to call it, provides you, and it will help you take away that temptation where you go to spend it because you're like, no, I don't want to end up like that personal I remember this happened to me a few years ago, and I was so stressed.
Speaker 3: I was so anxious. I'm never going to let that happen again.
Speaker 2: I'm learning, I'm growing, I'm leaving that behind in my past. So it really is about focusing on the benefit of that money so that it's not even a temptation.
Speaker 3: It's no negotiable.
Speaker 1: As I said, Okay, we're going to take a quick break. When we come back, I want to talk to you about budgeting methods. I want to talk about the idea of setting yourself a pretend salary.
Speaker 2: Well, you're talking about my drip feed technique, so that you get ready for that helpful.
Speaker 1: Drip feed, and then also this idea of automatic savings transfers and whether you can kind of automate the process so that you don't have to think about it and don't stress too much. There's actually a lot to get through, isn't there. We'll take a quick break and come back in a moment and do that. Can We're talking about how to save when your income is unpredictable, And as you said, this is bigger than the gig economy. This is any kind of freelancers or anyone on commission based work, or anyone in casual work or anything where your shifts might vary and your income might vary. So this is actually a lot of people budgeting methods. Okay, is there anything that works better for say, for gig workers, freelancers, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So welcome to my lesson on my drip feed technique. So what you do is you put all of your income into the one account, and you know it doesn't matter where it's come from, you know who from how much it all goes into the one account. You would then pay yourself initially a small set salary per week, per fortnite, per month, whatever you would prefer to help you manage your cash flow, and that obviously accounts also for tax as well if you are self employed. But it basically it takes it creates almost like a fake salary for yourself, but it creates consistency in your income, which for a lot of people will make it a lot more a lot easier to actually manage the cash flow, which is one of the key foundations of actually financial good financial management.
Speaker 1: And so you're pretending then that this set salary is what then goes on to pay for all of your other bills.
Speaker 2: Ess all the normal all your normal living expenses and bills. And I recommend people started off as low as they can to help build up that account because it may take a couple of months to actually build up a decent balance, but you and then you can review it, so you might go, okay, well, I'm going to take five thousand dollars per month as a net salary and obviously accounting for a pay as you go tax depending on your if you're self employed or not. So then you would sit with that for a couple of months learning how to live off with that as a set salary. Then say in a month or two time or next quarter, you look at that and go, can I give myself a pay rise? Perhaps I can afford to actually give myself now six thousand dollars per month. Again, you've got to account for the increase in tax that you can prepay to the ATO if you want, or put into a separate savings account, so that you are allowing giving that account the time to actually build up, so that you have a decent amount set aside, and that money keeps on flowing. And again you can review it. You might need to slightly tweak it and change it as your situation changes, your needs change. But it is a great way of taking away that sense of instability that comes from an irregular, volatile income stream.
Speaker 1: A cash flow, all right, And at the same time, this float essentially would be expanding.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And that's when if you see, for example, I might do this for a couple of months and I think, I see, okay, well I've actually now I've got instead of having say fifty thousand dollars in savings for my drip feed technique, I don't need as much as that I might reduce it accordingly, or am I going? You know what? I know that there's some really tight months coming up, and I could be without a job for a lot longer than I initially thought. I actually need that base amount to be a lot higher, around say seventy thousand. But the point is you're regularly engaging with it, but you're creating almost like a pretend salary for yourself.
Speaker 1: I really like that. The problem that I see with it is the potential to dip into that float when, if, and when you need it. And I suppose this probably comes back to a discipline thing.
Speaker 2: Well, that's about to say like it is a big responsibility to manage your cash flow. It is not something to be disregarded. You do need to track and regularly check your cash flow, and you really need to connect with your why, which is why I refer to learning from previous mistakes, or learning from other people's previous mistakes, so that you can take on some wisdom here. And you know, a great way to stay motivated is to look at.
Speaker 3: Making it as visual as possible.
Speaker 2: And I see this a lot in the debt free community, where people have created like charts and graphs and envelopes and stickers and you know, really made it incredibly visual and colorful.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And they've done it in a digital way through canber or they've got stuff on the fridge to help them see their progress. And I always say, like progress fuel success. When you can see, okay, we're building up that buffer amount, or you know, we're ready to take a bit of a salary increase from our drip feed technique, you can actually see that it's working. The debts are coming down, you're actually engaging with your finances. You're a lot more You've got a lot more skin in the game, You're a lot more emotionally engaged, committed connected. You can see it's working. The hard work's paying off. That's only going to fuel that determination and commitment to keep it going and make sure this continues on working for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, And does that big float from which you pay that that drip feed kind of salary, does that replace the emergency fund or are you separately feeding into an emergency fund.
Speaker 2: Look, it really depends on your situation and what your financial responsibilities are. Ideally, in a perfect world, you have emergency money separate as well as your drip feed float system happening as well. So yes, they are different, and I probably confuse the listeners and yourself Michael by Court referring it maybe as an emergency money. Technically they are separate. This is to help manage your the inconsistency of your income, and I rarely see it well. To be honest, I have never seen anyone be able to manage irregular income successfully without this technique.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's how important.
Speaker 3: So I smoke up my own ass. But yes, that's quite the image, isn't that?
Speaker 2: But because I know it works, and I know with myself, especially when I started my own business years ago, like I was, I was twenty six, twenty seven, and I had a mortgage. I had a lot of risk on my shoulders and I was paid quarterly. Wow yeah, and it took three months before I got my first paycheck. So this is what I did, and it worked, and I still swear by it today.
Speaker 1: I have experienced this as well in book publishing. Yes, when I published my first novel in twenty twenty three, and it is essentially payments related to that, I staggered almost over not two and a half years, which means that you have to budget and manage that cash, which is just such a challenging thing to.
Speaker 2: Do, and it's also time consuming as well. That's why I like the system is because all the money goes into the one bucket.
Speaker 3: There's none of this.
Speaker 2: Okay, when I get this check from here, I'll put it to that, When I get this deposit here, when that money comes in on when that gets paid, I'll put it here and there.
Speaker 3: It just put it simplifies it.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you are juggling multiple jobs like it's the gig economy, or you're juggling lots of things in life, as we all are, this just makes it really clean and really simple. And I think that's what we over complicate things by having multiple accounts. I'm looking at you, Michael, and you know we don't need to just keep it simple so that you were engaged with it, and you don't because it's easy to understand. You don't put it off either.
Speaker 1: You are going to be so proud of me. I have not told you this recently, please the under seventeen because in the past we've talked about the fact that I had twenty six bank accounts, right and then you got that. You put me on a bank account diet and told me I wasn't allowed to open any more, and I got it down to what I thought was nineteen, and then it went back up to twenty two because I found some more. The other day, I consolidated a whole bunch of bank accounts and I am now down to let me it is fifteen.
Speaker 3: I am really proud of you right now.
Speaker 1: It is. In fact, it could actually be better than that because.
Speaker 3: I see progress, feel success. So you are evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, and it is all about just trying to improve that cash flow, the visibility over cash flow. And so this has been a really interesting process talking through the drip feed system. I mentioned automatic savings transfers. Really you can part of this is automated, then, isn't it. If you are doing this drip feed system, then you are paying yourself that same salary every single week, which is an automated thing you.
Speaker 2: Can set up automated. But this is the thing, and you did ask me this question which we haven't touched on, but the automation. Automation is great because it obviously takes it's one less thing for you to have to do, but it also can make us maybe a little bit lazy, okay, and hold us back from actually achieving our true potential. So, for example, say I have you know, two hundred dollars per month regular savings plan to build up you know, my my emergency money. For example, if I have an irregular income stream, I could potentially save more so and which means I could build up my emergency money number a lot faster. So by having that money staying in my account, I could be actually transferring three hundred dollars per month or four hundred dolls per month. But I don't I to stick to this automated system of two hundred dolls per month. I'm probably gonna go and spend that one hundred two hundred dollars a month that I actually could afford to put aside. And that's where I think the danger lies because.
Speaker 1: To get into that that the challenges with the percentage system that we talked in the first part.
Speaker 2: It but also we don't actually look at our numbers, and that's what we need to be doing. We need to be checking our accounts, we need to be checking our transactions, and we need to be making sure that we're doing the best we can obviously, but whilst enjoying a healthy balance in life.
Speaker 1: Okay, Look, the drip feed system is just such an interesting way of operating.
Speaker 2: I explain it actually in so much more detail in my book Mindful Money.
Speaker 3: I even have like charts and graphs.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's very helpful. And I think we talk then about that that is not just helping you save, that is helping budget at the same time, and in doing so you may well be able to allocate money not just to your emergency fund, but also to investing exactly and help get you ahead. Okay, comprehensive. And I like the fact that you pointed out this is bigger than just the gig economy. This is so many people who I mean, it almost feels like people with a fixed, stable income are in the minority these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very useful. Okay, where do we find you if we need more information?
Speaker 2: Well, if you have any questions about my drip feed technique, just send me a damn on Instagram at sugar mom My TV and I'll come back to you as soon as.
Speaker 1: I can and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed Business news you can use. Thank you very much for listening to how Do They Afford That? Remember to follow on the podcast, and the best thing that you can do is tell somebody else send them a link to this episode if you think they might benefit and help spread the word about how do they Afford That? Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.