Speaker 1: I'm Ruby Jones and you're listening to seven AM. As one nation's political clout rises, so too does its bank balance courtesy of the very elite Pauline Hanson often rails against. Now. An investigation by The Brisbane Times in Sydney Morning Herald has detailed some of the places One Nation's cash is coming from, from exclusive parties hosted at Gena ryan Hart's mansion, to movies to merch. But perhaps even more pertinent is the contributions hidden from public view. Today Sidney Morning Herald investigative reporter Patrick Begley on the sources of one Nation's wealth. It's Tuesday, August eleven. So Patrick, let's begin with these dinner parties that have been hosted at Gena rein hart Riverside mansion in Brisbane. What can you tell me about them?
Speaker 2: So these are quite intimate affairs, we're told me and my colleague James Hall from the Brisbane Times. They're small dinner parties and they're at this beautiful Hawthorne mansion that yin Hut has with wonderful views overlooking the Brisbane River. The admission price is ten thousand dollars a ticket, and what you get is sometimes Ryan Hunt herself, although at times she's a late withdrawal, but Pauline Hanson is certainly there and sometimes her star recruit Barnaby Joyce is there as well. And these dinners are really a chance for people to mingle with Hansen. And the guest list, we're told is often people from industry bodies like the resources sector, wealthy business people, sometimes small business owners, and they're not always political themselves guests, but they might just want to contribute via fundraising.
Speaker 1: And so it's fair to say then that this ten thousand dollars is less for the Champagne and cavia On offer and more for the opportunity to network and perhaps influence.
Speaker 2: That's right. I don't think that the people paying ten thousand dollars are doing so for astronomy reasons. I think it's who's in the room. And for a long time now Ronehart has had these dinner parties. They're apparently quite well known in political circles, especially up in Queensland. Whereas once upon a time they were really about people trying to maybe influence the policy of the Liberal National Party, they're now heavily geared towards one nation and our reporting show that some had even heard gloating from those present that the donations from one nation were flooding in, and the implication there was, you really don't want to be outside of this. You don't want to be failing to contribute to the flood of donations, because you want to be in the room, in the know, and in close proximity with people who are, in Reinhardt's case, enormously powerful through her business interests, and in Hanson's case, a real rising political force.
Speaker 1: And when you think about it, ten thousand dollars is comparatively speaking, a bit of a steal compared to some of Gina's past one nation fundraisers. There's been the luxury cruise ship, her private jet events on that. So why do you think she's offering this cheaper option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, she's certainly been extraordinarily generous with her support for the party, But you have to remember that these are dinner parties with maybe ten or so guests, and we're told that there have been multiple of these type of events, and for a political party, I think you're never saying no to cash. Every little bit counts, and we can see this right across politics, whether it's the Liberal Party, the Labor Party. They do these events, and I think that it's because they can't rely solely on wealthy benefactors, you know, the mega mega donors. They need to be casting around for a broader pool. As for Reinhartz motivations, I don't think we know exactly. You know, why not just donate the one hundred and twenty thousand dollars you might earn from that particular event. But I suppose that if you're a billionaire who's got political interests, then it doesn't hurt to be mingling with other people who share similar views and have similar policy ambitions.
Speaker 1: And I suppose we're not going to know exactly how much revenue is being raised for one nation for these kind of events for the time being right well, for the.
Speaker 2: Time being and potentially forever. And that's because of the disclosure thre thresholds that are currently in place. I think at the moment at the federal level, that's about seventeen thousand dollars, So if you're donating less than that, then essentially it will not appear publicly. That is going to change. Labor has introduced new rules that are set to take effect next year that will drop the disclosure threshold right down to five thousand dollars. But yeah, those people who are donating right now at the dinners, we might never know who they are.
Speaker 1: And so this is only one way in which One Nation is raising funds. Tell me a bit more about what we know about where else One Nation's money is coming from, because some of it is pretty unorthodox.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right. I mean, like all political parties, it gets quite a lot of money from the government. Essentially, it gets distributions from electoral commissions for campaign finance, for administrative expenses and so on, and that's definitely significant and can't be ignored. What you see in One Nation, though, is a party that has entered out into all kinds of different things. It's got this very extensive merch section on its website where you can get everything from mousepads to beach balls to bottles of gin, which received some negative reviews online. You've got the make Elbow Go Away baseball caps, so you've got the merch side of things.
Speaker 3: We've got new.
Speaker 1: Great Pauline Hanson One Nation hats, we got the socks which are incredibly comfy, and we've got.
Speaker 2: These Then there's also the film production business that they entered into. I think it was last year on Australia Day, they released the very sarcastically titled super Progressive movie.
Speaker 1: We're going every single capital city.
Speaker 3: We're going around. Pauline's going to be there. We've got the orange carp but we're going to have a media wall.
Speaker 2: I'm just really excited about it because and this is an animated film directed by the Party with the help of a production studio, and apparently it costs about five hundred thousand dollars to make, it's been reported. And this film, the Party has said, is to raise proceeds for the fight against the Albanese government in twenty twenty eight, so it's a very explicitly political project. Now, what we found in our reporting is that that actually raises a bit of a question for the Party about whether a super progressive movie and the companies associated with it should actually be declared as associated entities. Now, under electoral law, associated entities are pretty much there so that you don't have these backdoorways of contributing money to parties. So if you've got a company and it's substantially controlled by a party, or it's for the party's benefit. In the main, it should be an associated entity, and the Australian Electoral Commission has told us, without going into specifics, that it's examining whether there are associated entities of one nation that ought to have been declared. We don't know for sure.
Speaker 1: Yet still to come. One nation's dubis track record with finances. Patrick, I imagine it can be pretty difficult trying to piece together all of this because Pauline Hanson and her party there's a history there of failing to declare financial interests and gifts and spending over the years.
Speaker 2: That's right. I don't think any party is without issues when it comes to compliance with electoral regulations. You know, we see pretty commonly politicians having to update their personal interests because of one failure or another. But I do think it is fair to say that one nation has form when it comes to this.
Speaker 3: Electoral Commission has confirmed it will and its investigation into one nation's finances. The ABC's four Corners claims the party used money from a Victorian property developer to buy a light plane.
Speaker 2: We discovered that even just recently, the party in Queensland was forced to update its declarations to show that it had spent an extra two hundred and fifty thousand dollars or so at the last Queensland state election campaign, and that meant that it had effectively failed to declare nearly half its spending in that campaign until it received some correspondence from the Electoral Commission. And on top of that, there's also news that came out recently that in Queensland, the political entity there that One Nation has could even face deregistration for failing to upload some further reports and financial accounts. So there's definitely a lot going on in this space.
Speaker 1: One nation is in danger of being struck off in Queensland over missing financial records the film business.
Speaker 2: I only learned about that earlier this year when I did a company search on Pauline Hanson and I could see that she had these various directorships and shareholdings and companies and they did not appear on her register of interests. And that's what every senator or member of Parliament is required to upload publicly, all of their various income sources, interests and so on. Pauline Hanson had just left those off. She did later correct the record. Another thing that we were dealing with here is some of the loans that go on within one nation. We could see money going from one branch to another to another. And Pauline Hanson is actually a really significant lender to the party herself. She since she's become a senator about a decade ago, has lent the party five hundred and seventy five thousand dollars or so, and in twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five she lent another or within that two hundred and forty five thousand dollars. And so one angle that James and I were exploring in our reporting is the interest that she was earning on those loans. The Party has said it's a commercial rate of interest. Other interest rates charged by the party are around about the six percent mark, and that means that Pauline Hanson in that financial year would have stood to earn, based on those kinds of figures, about fifteen thousand dollars in interest by lending to her own party. The thing is that there is no additional income source reported by Pauline Hanson that just doesn't show up. We asked her about it, Unfortunately she declined to comment.
Speaker 1: So as it stands, then, how much of one nation's donations are undisclosed, meaning we don't know who's made them.
Speaker 2: So that will depend whether you're looking at the states or federally. But if we just take the federal level. I spoke to Jute Tam who's a researcher, a law professor at the University of Melbourne, and he had a quick look at one nation's accounts at the federal level. One nation in twenty twenty four twenty twenty five took in about three point three million dollars at the federal level and two million dollars more than two million dollars of that went undisclosed. So I think that points to in this case, not necessarily any kind of failing by one nation, but a failing of our political system. It's really just, I think a sad reflection of Australian politics that for so long we've let very large amounts of money come in without proper declaration and disclosure. The Labor Government is acting on that. We're going to have the new laws in place next year, the lower threshold for disclosure, some better reporting in terms of the time frame. I mean, it's not real time, but it will be closer to real pa as it stands. It's a bit of a guessing game each year at the federal level. We wait until it's February, I think, and then there's a flood of information that comes out about what's been going on for the last year. Those new laws from Labor will hopefully fix that.
Speaker 1: And One Nation isn't the only political party obviously that relies on donors and fundraising dinners. We were chatting to Sean Kelly last week about the Prime Minister's ten thousand dollars ahead dinner at Point Piper. So is One Nation doing anything different to any of the major political parties.
Speaker 2: In one way? No, I mean hospitality and fundraising go together and have done for a very long time. I think that what's interesting about One Nation, though, is its sheer proximity to such a wealthy and powerful person in the form of Gina Einhart.
Speaker 3: She's a very proud, patriotic Australian and she sees the same in me.
Speaker 2: Sposh. You back to me. Now, other billionaires have supported Labor, they've supported the Liberals, sometimes both, But I think that when it comes to Reinhardt and Hansen, I don't think that we've seen this level of closeness and proximity between such a powerful business figure and someone like Hanson who is both outside of the political mainstream in one way but increasingly becoming the center of attention, and someone who, through her party, I think, poses a real threat to the political parties, you know, the main political party systems that we see in place at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well Patrick, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Also in the news, tonight's census is being hailed by some as Australia's most progressive, with new questions on sexuality and gender. LGBTIQ plus advocates say the data collected will be transformative in learning more about the queer community and lead to better decisions around things like health and community services. Held every five years, the census is compulsory and we'll see millions of Australians simultaneously complete the same sixty six question survey. And two airport workers have been temporarily stood down as investigators look into the second near collision between two planes at Sydney Airport in two weeks. An airline worker was injured when a Jet Star plane was forced to slam on its brakes after coming within meters of striking aktar Jet. Transport Minister Catherine King says there was unplanned leave due to illness in Sydney over the weekend, but his confident Air Services Australia is doing everything it can to get on top of the situation. I'm Riby Jones. This is seven AM. Thanks for listening, new
Speaker 2: And