Speaker 1: I get a team Craig Anthony Harper reporting in It's four oh two, it's bloody, it's New Year's Eve, it's news. I don't even know why we're recording today. Well I do because I asked David and he's got no life and I've got no life between the two of us, los as we went. Fuck it, let's record an episode of the Year project. Happy New Year, mate?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Good? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 1: You don't I could get in trouble saying this, but fuck it, I'll say. You don't strike me as the super festive type. Am I right or wrong with that? I think you're probably right. I don't tend to go in for celebrating things. I guess yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm also just quite happy if people ignore my birthday and things like that too.
Speaker 1: What, yeah, is that a personality thing with you? Is that just a personal preference? Where have you always been like that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I can't ever see you despite the fact that you have a profile and you're very public in a way, you seem you don't seem like an introvert, but you definitely seem like somebody who doesn't want to be in the middle of a crowd or be the center of attention at all, unlike a lot of other public figures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've well, I guess maybe it's just laziness. I think being the center of attention takes a lot of work and is unnecessary for a lot of what I have to do, in the sense that all the things I've written about are really about providing people with knowledge and the tools to do something about something in their lives. Like I don't bother writing books, you know, clutching our pearls and wringing our hands about climate change even though it's very real and very dangerous and so on, because I can't think of a way to write a book that results in someone being able to meaningfully affect it. And it's sort of something that I follow with everything I write. The person has to be able to put the book down and immediately implement something at a personal level that changes something about their lives. And I guess that doesn't need me to be an Instagram star to do that. It just needs me to be accurate and constant. And like I said, probably all boils down to laziness in the end, because to be an Instagram star, I'd have to do all sorts of things I quite frankly wouldn't be comfortable doing, you know, tiktoks and videos and unboxings and all that sort of crap.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, I just think for you though, like.
Speaker 1: I know, you've got a profile and you you know, I guess if I asked ten people, have you heard of David Gillespie, the author you know, Sweet Poison, blah blah blah all that, I don't know. I think maybe three or four ossies might have heard of you, compared to none out of ten for me, which I'm fine with. But I just think for you, the bigger the bigger your social media presence, the more awareness around your messages, Like if you had a million followers on Instagram, not because you're dancing like a fuck with at a train station or unwrapping a fucking you know, a high def TV or I don't know.
Speaker 2: Look here's here's my breakfast. Hey everyone, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot of that, But I just think, like for you, I actually get frustrated because your writing is so brilliant, and I just think enough people don't see it, and there's so much shit out there. There's so much poor writing and poor information and misinformation that is overexposed, you know. Yeah, And I guess I guess I live in hope that you know, there's an old saying and I can't remember who said it, probably Mark Twain.
Speaker 3: He comes up with all the best ones. You know, if it's really news, it'll find you. And I guess I live in hope that if someone really needs to hear anything I've got to say, there's enough of my stuff out there in various places that they will find it. And m I just you know, I'd love to have a million followers on something, because, as you say, a lot more people would read what I had to say. But I'm not prepared to get into the churn that is required to make that happen. So yeah, like I said, it comes back to laziness.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, yah, maybe maybe wisdom.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes I put a fair bit of effort into my Instagram, only my Instagram, not really Facebook or whatever. And I've got across Facebook and Instagram over one hundred thousand followers, which is a few, but it's not bizarre, right, But sometimes I think for the time, effort and energy, and also what's funny is sometimes I will write something that is, you know, as close to profound.
Speaker 2: As I'm going to get.
Speaker 1: Like, it's quite deep and thoughtful, insightful, and potentially if somebody would turn that theory into behavior.
Speaker 2: It might be really valuable. And it'll get out of ten.
Speaker 1: Let's say it gets a one response, and then I'll put up I'll write on my whiteboard, don't be a fucking idiot, and that'll get a nine.
Speaker 2: Right. It's like the.
Speaker 1: Stuff that is so base and so and it's almost like the more I swear, the greater the response. In fact, it's not. It's not like it is. There's a direct correlation. And in fact, I think you've discovered.
Speaker 3: You discovered Ricky Gervais's secret success.
Speaker 1: Then I think I discovered before him. I mean, my second book had fuck on the front cover, and that was twenty ten, so that was fifteen years ago. And that my subsequent book to that, which Penguin saw that was just called stop Fucking Around thirty Principles for Blah blah blah. Right, And Penguin saw that book and reached out to me, which I know is not the normal kind of protocol, and said, we had a look at it, we liked it, and I sold a lot, right, I sold a lot of that book, as you know, like I think in Australia ten thousand is the best seller, and it was way way, way more than that, with no distribution, no publisher, al self published, no interviews, right, And so they went, we want.
Speaker 2: You to do a big version of that and.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so I spent I got paid to write a book, as you do, and.
Speaker 2: Then I had to deliver it within one hundred and eighty days, which I did. But blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I did all this stuff and then they named it pull Your Finger Out, which I fucking hated. Right the first one stopped fucking around, and this was meant to be the bigger, better version.
Speaker 2: I'm like, and I said to them, that's a terrible name.
Speaker 1: And they're like, oh, you know, we've done all the whatever, the testing out, you know, and it really tested well, and I just said, it absolutely won't work. And I don't know if you've ever done this, but I went into Penguin and I sat down in a boardroom with like ten people who worked on it and marketing and branding and market research and all the you know, look and feel and color and vibe, and which was great, and they were great. Everything was great except the title, and then that book, which was a much better book in my opinion. I wrote both it it was outsold by the first one six to one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just because it's a shit title, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and you will have discovered that it doesn't matter what you think of the title. If you signed a standard Penguins publication contract, they have entire control over the title to cover everything that's on the front and back cover, and you they ask you, out of courtesy what you think of it. But if you it's a pr exercise. If you say it sucks, I want something else, they'll say, well, thank you for your input, and go ahead and do what they were going to do.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I told them like I sat in the boardroom and they literally had this reveal where they had an a frame with the book on the cover right so that all the artwork, and they pulled off a sheet essentially, and my first words were I hate it, and everyone looked at me like, apparently you're not meant to say that, But anyway.
Speaker 3: I'm having a similar experience at the moment with the title of my next book, which but I look, I come from the position of I think, never having successfully given a good title to anything, and so I have no confidence in my ability to be any better at it than they are. So, you know, no matter what my opinion of their title, I doubt anything I would come up with is any better. You know, I find that even when in writing an article. You know, at the end of writing an article, I have to think of a title for it, and I'm usually pretty stumped about what to call it. And I doubt I've cracked the magic. You know, this is highly clickable if you just call it this title. You know, for starters. I don't use the word fucking any of the titles of any of my pieces or books.
Speaker 1: Well, you've gone okay, So I don't think, well, who knows, I mean, you got you are going okay.
Speaker 3: But maybe I should, Yeah, maybe I should. Do you know there's that new thing on substack where they do the what are they called the ab testing, where you can give it alternate titles, and it spends the first hour dividing up your audience with various titles and then picks the one that worked the best. Maybe I should try a few profanities and see what happens. Huh.
Speaker 1: I did a just tongue in cheek, completely ridiculous. You know, how you develop scales and then you get scales validated over the time. So for my PhD I developed a scale, but just for fun, I did another bullshit scale called called the fuck scale, which is friendship, understanding, caring, and kindness. And it was an emotional kind of investment scale friendship, understanding, caring, and kindness and fuck was an acronym for those four words, and it was like how many one to seven fucks on a like art scale, like how many fucks do you give?
Speaker 2: Right? Anyway?
Speaker 1: And it was just complete, Well, that went nuts my actual scale that I put up, which is a psychometric evaluation like a real one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever sounds boring this other one, you know, the fuck scale, Oh my god. Anyway, it's what happens before we talk about our actual topic, which will take.
Speaker 2: Six minutes knowing you and me or more. I wanted to ask you how would you label How would you label your.
Speaker 1: Books or your writing? Would you call it would you call it self help, would you call it education? Would you call it something else? Or would you call it a synthesis of a few things?
Speaker 3: It's education sound like I'm trying to lecture to people, which I'm not. I really really hate Ritchie self help books, you know, it did really really turned me off. I sort of think of it more of you as invested investigative journalism with some self help stuff or how to apply this at the end of it. You know, so this is all terribly interesting, but what does it mean to you and me? And I don't like to just do the research and not be able to do that, and so it's yeah, it's mostly yeah, it's that it's not education. Sounds a little bit creachy, like I'm trying to teach you something, like like I know it and you don't, and I've got to teach you. And usually in my books, I don't know the answer before I start. I just have a sense that there's something wrong in what we're being told about how something works, and I like to dig in, and the book ends up being the documentation of what I found. And there's been many starts at books where I find, actually what we're being told about this is the sum of our knowledge on this, and there is no other evidence. And so there really is no point writing a book that says, well, you know, everything the Heart Foundation says is absolutely correct.
Speaker 1: You know who's buying that, yeah, yeah, or a book that says, hey, the other books were right, You're welcome the next time.
Speaker 3: The less boat into it. I have looked into it and they were right.
Speaker 1: I can I can confirm your honor. Yeah, I for me, one of them consider I was going to say battles. It's not a fucking battle. But one of my constant considerations is like, even like I did a gig recently for actually for a supplement company down here, but it wasn't We didn't talk about their supplements. It's just an education night for blokes, you know, in that health, fitness, wellness, performance, aging, anti aging, just general stuff, you know, food, exercise, lifestyle, sleep, stress, anxiety, self management, all that stuff. And I'm constantly going, so, here's something that's worth thinking about, or here's some information, here's what we know, here's a bit of research. But then I've kind of got to go so what can we do about that?
Speaker 2: Though? So that's all well and good, but now what does that mean to do to you? And what can you do with that? Because I think as well as presenting potentially information and problems and current flowared thinking or dodgy science.
Speaker 1: You've still got to say. You've still got to give them some hope or direction or information or some answers that they might be able to, at the very least say, well, I'm going to try this because what he spoke about, I'm dealing with that. So starting tomorrow, I'm going to whatever. I'm going to walk for fifteen minutes a day for the next hundred days and see what happens.
Speaker 2: You know, just so people have got a little bit of an.
Speaker 3: Action plan at least that applies generally except for the topics like the one we're going to discus today, which is about drugs. And you know, I don't want anyone to be asking me, like you, for example, at the end of what we discussed today, so what does this mean we should do? Because my answer will be talk to your doctor, because I don't want to get into a space where I'm telling someone to take a drug or not take a drug. In this particular space, what we're talking about is what is the evidence actually say? And I guess what does it say about us? Given the evidence?
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's jump into it. We're talking about writing. Let's talk about some of your writing from a substack. So this went up two days ago. It's called the statin delusion. Everyone, So if you don't follow galspo and substack, it's free and it's a great resource, so you should definitely do that, all right, tell us about the statined delusion. We are trading the remote possibility of a heart attack for the certainty of metabolic decay.
Speaker 2: Is the kind of subheading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and I start with an analogy in the article and can read that. Go ahead, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that might set it up nicely for people. Imagine taking your car to the garage for a road worthy certificate. The mechanics circles the vehicle and hums. He admits the engineers in pristine. The engine is pristine, and the car runs perfectly, but he insists on replacing the transmission. This is not because is broken. It is because a complex algorithm suggests a four percent chance it might shudder in two thousand and thirty two.
Speaker 2: That's funny. You'd call the police. You'd call him a fraud and a thief.
Speaker 1: Yet we thank doctors when they do the exact same thing with our cardiovascular system. We then head to a chemist. This is the state of modern medicine in Australia. We are witnessing a monumental act in pharmaceutical theatrics. Health is treated as a deficiency of medication.
Speaker 2: All right, I could go on, but I'll let you jump in.
Speaker 3: So this is about statens and the interesting thing about that so well, first of all, what are staturns. So statins are the most prescribed drug in Australia today, the most prescribed drug, and I think the stats are pretty extraordinary. I think it's something like half of everybody over the age of sixty five and a significant proportion of those under the age of sixty five in Australia are on statins. If a person is over the age of sixty five and also has type two diabetes, they've got an eighty percent chance of being on Staaten's in Australia. So statins are handed out like lollipops at the fate. You know this is this is a drug that is massively prescribed in Australia. Australia is, by the way, the world leader in the prescription of statns. There is no one who prescribes more of them on a per capita basis than Australia, and we've.
Speaker 1: Just sorry for the ten people who are going, what are they They treat high cholesterol, right.
Speaker 3: So what they do. What they do is reduce the level of LDL cholesterol, which is theoretically the bad cholesterol. And we could go into why I say theoretically and you're imagining parenthesis around the bad bit there, and we might or we might not. We might leave that for another show. But what they do is they do definitively or a lot of people, not everyone, but for a lot of people, lower the level of LDL cholesterol. And if you've ever been to a doctor and had a blood test, they'll they'll show you a print out that will give you a level of LDL cholesterol. It will give you sort of total cholesterol, also give you ld old cholesterol and sometimes HDL cholesterol, which is theoretically the good cholesterol. And Staton's lower for many people the number LDL cholesterol. And for a long time now, the accepted science has been that that's a good thing. That if you lower people's ld OL cholesterol, it should present prevent them having fatal heart attacks or any heart attacks, or you know, should reduce the number of heart attacks they're likely to have or reduce their risk of heart attack, or any number of ways of spinning it, but in general, the theory is that if you lower LDOL cholesterol, you should have less cardiac events in your life. And initially these drugs were used when they first sort of hit the market in the nineteen eighties or late nineteen eighties early nineteen nineties, they were initially used to give to people who had already had a heart attack, so they've had their first cardiac event, often young, younger people sort of around you, under fifty or so, and they were given to them as a way of presenting preventing further cardiac events. And there were some early studies that suggested that they were reasonably effective at that and honestly, those studies have not to my knowledge, been debunked in any great degree since then, despite some of the problems I'm about to discuss with the studies. But the what has happened though, is that the drug companies have taken that glimmer of success. And you might imagine that people under fifty who've had a heart attack, well it's actually only men under fifty who've had a heart attack. The studies didn't show any definitive benefit for women, but men under fifty who've had a heart attack is a relatively small market, and it's certainly not getting you anywhere near the numbers I just gave you before. You know, with six out of ten people over the age of sixty five taking a drug every day of the week, you're not getting near that. So the drug companies managed to convert that glimmer of success into over the last thirty years, a widespread program of everyone being given or as many people as possible being given these things as a preventative measure. So you might feel perfectly well. And this is why I use the mechanic analogy. The start, you might feel perfectly well. It might you might look perfectly well. There might be nothing wrong with your heart to you know, the casual observer or the medical observer, but you never know, you know, just in case, just in case, take this thing, and you know it'll it'll reduce your risk of ever having a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Well, based on that logic, I should wear my motorcycle helmet on and off the motorbike. I should wear that around the house pretty much, same logic, exact same logic, Yeah, which is you just never know. And even though you've never had a heart attack and you don't seem to be at risk of having a heart attack, why not And if these and if the drugs that we're talking about were completely harmless, like if I was talking about here was a sugar pill.
Speaker 3: And it made people feel better to take one every day, to you know, you say, oh, you know, I've said my three hele Mary's and I've taken a sugar pill, So I'm definitely not having a heart attack today. That's that would be fine. People can believe what they want to believe, but these are not harmless. Their mechanism of action is to shut down the liver's production of something which is used to produce cholesterol called coenzyme Q ten. So coenzyme Q ten you might have heard of before if you've ever seen any cosmetics commercials, because it's often touted as being something that you want to rub on your skin or something. I've never quite followed the logic of that, but it's it is actually a pretty handy thing to have in your body. It's it's kind of regarded in medicine as the starter motor for your cellular metabolism. So it's it's the spark that gets cells producing the right level of energy, and it's all. It does some other things as well as as always the body never just does one thing with anything, you know, and some one of the others is that it is a very very powerful antioxidant. So, and antioxidants are pretty handy. You will recall from how many discussions about cancer that antioxidants are a big part of stopping that happening because they reduce the potential for oxidation within the system, particularly when you take things that oxidize easily like seed oils. But that's a little bit of the side So the mechanism of action for Staton, though, is that they shut down the production of coenzon q ten. So, as you might imagine, there could be side effects, and the side effects have started to become really quite apparent. There's a significant increase nine percent increase in the incidence of type two diabetes because apparently coinzon q ten is pretty handy in the pancreas, and so there is a significant It's so much so that the FDA and the United States now requires a warning on statins to say that to say that there's also many people who take statan's report muscle pain, and it's often the reason that people stop taking them. You know, much of the spare of the medical profession. You know, they call that non compliance. Well, a big reason for non compliance is that people experience muscle pain. Some of the studies have shown that it's around twenty percent one in five people taking statin's experience study experience muscle pain. There's some interesting new evidence that suggests that they also increase the incidence of stroke, which is a bit ironic because you know, it's sort of training avoiding heart disease and acquiring a risk of stroke. And these are all quite concerning things for something that you may not need to be taking at all in the first place. And the problem here is with the evidence. Now there's precious little objective evidence about the effectiveness of statins, and that's because of a really peculiar arrangement between the drug companies and the research group who are responsible for I think it's twenty seven out of twenty eight of the major statin trials analyzed and reported on by something called the Clinical Trial Service Unit, which is part of the University of Oxford. It's a joint thing between the NHMRC in Australia and the University of Oxford, and so almost all the data we have on the efficacy of statins comes from this group, which in itself isn't necessarily a problem except when you start to digging in a little about how they're funded. So they're funded essentially by the companies and they which once again you'd say, okay, well, that's a cause for concerns, So we need to be a little bit careful about anything that they say, particularly when what they say seems to be at odds with the few independent studies that have been done. But maybe that's a coincidence, So you need to dig a little bit further than that. And one of the big concerns about this group is that they never publish the original data, the raw data that is being used in the trials, So they'll publish their interpretation of the data, but never the actual data, so other scientists can't look at the data and see if they agree with the conclusions that they've come out.
Speaker 1: How is that I mean as and I know, I know we've established that psychology is not real And my PhD is essentially analogous to getting a Barista qualification.
Speaker 2: We've sorted out.
Speaker 3: But you can make more money with it though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know, I know, hello, Barista school, it's ups.
Speaker 2: But how is that even a thing?
Speaker 1: Where like, how in twenty twenty five can we have companies that have got an extremely huge financial interest in the outcome of the research fund the research, knowing that, with the academic institution knowing that should they produce data that doesn't align with the wants of the bank, the pharmaceutical bank, then they're going to get funding cut. I mean, it's just like that. Just isn't how science. I mean to me, that's not science at all. There's no objectivity there like that just and I don't just mean with pharma college or pharmaceutical industry, but with all of it.
Speaker 2: Like, if something's.
Speaker 1: Funded by a group that has a financial interest in the outcome of the science, who's going to believe that?
Speaker 2: And why is that still a thing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, a good question. This is probably the most egregious example of it, but it is rife. There are enormous numbers of trials that are covertly funded by Coca Cola and Pepsi and some on that come to the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with sugar. And you know, they don't say this is Cooke's trial on this this is you know, it comes from a reputable university, and the fundings come from something called ICSI. I can't remember the acronym stand for, but it's an international research thing, and you have to dig pretty hard to find out who's actually paying for it. And you have to really understand the study to understand how they've bent the rules a bit to make sure that they get the result they want. And on that point, one of the big criticisms of the studies that these folks produce is that they use a way of measuring the results which is not standard. So in a normal trial, you just go head to head, you say, right, we've got a thousand people taking the drug, we've got a thousand people taking the placebo. Let's measure the outcomes. You think that would be the That's called an intention to treat trial, and that's the way most science is done if you want a placebo controlled trial, which is what you do with the drug, right, But that's not how they do it. So what they do is they report their results based on the degree of responsiveness to the drug. So the amount that the person's LDL was reduced, and they put them in one group and the people whose LDL wasn't reduced in another group. And these crossover both of the people with the perceibo and the non perceivo on. Because you can't see the original data, you don't know which is which, and they're just saying, of the people whose LDL was reduced, we report that they had, you know, ten percent lower incidents of maya cardial events ten years later or something like that. And because you can't look at the original data and you can't essentially do what any study would do, which is just put the people who took the perceibo versus the people who took the drug side by side and see the outcomes, you've just got this muddy in. And there is a strong suspicion amongst many researchers that the reason it's done that way is to make it that you get a positive outcome for statins from their trials that otherwise would not be there. So it's that's why there's concern in this area. Now there are studies done by independent groups. There are independent groups of scientists who have looked at as much data as they can find on this. Have tried to work back from the data that is published about this and have come to the conclusion that there's by and large no real preventative benefit. They would agree there is a benefit to people who have already had a heart attack. There is a benefit. It is not a huge one, but there is one. Yes, But they would say there just isn't data there to support the notion that people taking these things as a prophylactic you know, or you you with your motiviing helmet, it just makes any difference whatsoever There might even be There might even be an argument depending on who's taking it. You know, somebody with no history of anything, who's relatively fit and healthy and forty years old, the risks might be greater than the potential benefits even well, exactly because of the risk that I outlined before. So we're talking about things like hemorrhagic stroke, type two diabetes. So those type two diabetes incidences are relative increase over a person who would never have gotten it before. So this is a brand new disease that they would not have been likely to get prior to taking the drug. And this has been established beyond doubt in the research. So you know, hemorrhagic stroke, type two diabetes, massive incidents of muscle pain one in five with muscle pain that is significant. There's some evidence of cognitive decline making dementia worse, so you know, it's there are certainly a list of things that we should be a bit concerned about with these things, which is why I say these are not lollies, these are not placebos. It does matter if you take it if you don't need to take it. And then besides all of this, we've also had a persistent moving of the goalposts in terms of what is the target level of LDL. So and I put a bit of a history of this in the in the article where they you know where the goalposts have been moving. The target started at three point five and has moved so that these numbers, by the way, are the standard numbers that appear on Australian you know, blood reports. So when these drugs first came out, if you had a total cholesterol count of six point five million miles per later you were given a clean bill of health and cent on your way. But then they said they started moving the target on once they discovered LDL and started to be able to say, oh, this is the magic thing that needs to be fixed. They started at the target of you want to get it at three point five, and then it moved to two point five, then to one point eight, and today it's one point four. So each movement of this target increases the number of people in the population who the target would suggest need to have this thing right, and so steadily, not surprisingly, the number of people in the population being prescribed to these things has increased very rapidly, until now we are, as I said, top of the league in the OECD, We now prescribe more statons per person than anyone else in the world. Yes, so, and that's a direct result of you know, the well meaning GP down the road he sees the official target. Oh, it was three point five and now it's one point four. I guess before I barely had any patients that were, you know, needing to have these things, and now they now suddenly all of them do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just as you were talking, I was trying to find I don't know if you've seen you don't look at social media much, but it came across my or it came to my attention this these papers, that these I think it was two guys wrote based purely on fraudulent data and fraud, like the whole thing was bullshit. So they wrote these papers on these stupid topics, but really well written. They are academics, really well written. And these papers there was I think it was like nine of them got published in like Tier one and two, which for my listeners is kind of the gold standard Tier one anyway, papers journals, and I just wonder how much stuff. And I was just looking then at some of the stuff I was trying to find. I was trying to find those I can't, but I wonder how much just fabrication and kind of you know, I don't know, bending bending of the rules, but bending of the truth goes on in trying to put these papers together. And like I know, one of my friends is going through this thing now where they're looking at the data and the data is not telling him a lot with his research, and so they because he has to produce a paper, and he's desperately it's not me, by the way, but desperately trying to find something to write a paper on and to find some kind of correlation between A and.
Speaker 2: B, because sometimes there's sometimes it just tells you fuck all, Well.
Speaker 3: There's nothing more boring than you have a hypothesis that you know, if you do a then B happens, and then you go and measure it all and you find out that it doesn't, and then your paper consists of, well, I guess I was wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, essentially essentially.
Speaker 3: I mean, and we've seen a bit of that in the in the in the research on and this comes back to this point about the importance of being able to see the underlying data. So there was a massive study done back in the days when governments did spend a lot of money on this sort of thing because of the heart disease was absolutely peaking in the late nineteen sixties in the United States, the massive rates of increase of heart disease. We now know that that was because of the massive rates of smoking. But even to this day, no one's going to admit that they still want to pin it with saturated fat. But they did these huge studies where they Minnesota County Experiment for example. I can't remember how I think it was close to one hundred thousand people were enrolled in it. I can you imagine the cost of doing something like that for years on end, where they were having half the people were eating a normal saturated fat diet and the other half had a lower fat diet or eating seed oils instead or things like that, and they measured and their hypothesis was that the people who were eating the lower fat diet and the polyon saturates, etc. Would have less coronary events than the people eating the normal the butter, the cheese, the milk, et cetera. And it turned out it didn't, and so they never published. So this thing went on at enormous expense for I think four years, huge numbers of people involved, large, you know, and they put out a paper that essentially said nothing, so essentially didn't publish at all. Recently, the National Institutes of Health reinvestigated that and had access to the original data, so they went back into the archives, they dug up the data, and they did their own reanalysis of it without all the preconceptions of the people who were running it in the first place, which was to find that eating saturated fat cause heart disease. What they found was in fact the opposite. What they found was that when you properly analyze the data, the people who had more heart disease, and in fact the people who died more often. So the higher mortality rate was with the people who were not eating the standard saturated fat diet, the people who were lowering the cholesterol, the people who were having less fat and on actually had not just a higher rate of cronary events leading to death, but a higher rate of all causes death, meaning usually that is another way of saying a lot more of them died of cancer as well. So you know, we talked some other time about why that was. But that's why having access to the underlying data is really important, so that other scientists can go back and have a look themselves and do their own analysis and see if they agree with what you came up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well that makes Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wish we could get that kind of second review on a lot of research.
Speaker 2: And being dependent on trusting.
Speaker 1: People who have a ender, who have a financial incentive to produce certain outcomes.
Speaker 2: It's not like it doesn't work, just doesn't work.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's going to go away anytime, because I know funding for research is not abundant and institution's financial Academic institutions have got to stay afloat, so they're never going to stop taking money but I don't know what the solution is, so that other solution.
Speaker 3: The solution is government money. It has to be fund You have to have governments that are prepared to invest in research and you know, truly independent money that doesn't care about the outcome, that is prepared to pay, you know, for agencies like the CSIRO for example, to exist. And it always, you know, frustrates me every time I hear that the CSIRO's funding is being cut yet again, because what inevitably happens there is they have to go and seek funding from the private sector. If they have two choices, they either start firing people or they get funding from the private sector. And the private sector is only going to give them money if they produce the results they want to see.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, yeah, one hundred uh. The article is called the Statin Delusion. His name is David Brian Kevin Patrick Gillespie. It's on substack.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You can also get to it from Facebook or just from my website. Just go to David Gillespie dot org and you can get to it from there too. One thing I want to say about this article, and I mentioned it at the top, and just just to stop you and I being sued Craig is. This is not medical advice. I am a lawyer. Craig is whatever he is, but he's not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Before you do anything, assuming you want to, about taking statins or not taking statins, you have a conversation with your doctor and ask them about this.
Speaker 2: Spoken authorized by David Gillespie, lawyer. Lawyer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just for the record, but I disagree with everything he said.
Speaker 2: Just fucking with you, mate.
Speaker 1: We'll say goodbye affair as always, but for the minute, thank you again and happy New Year Champ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, having new you to you too.