Speaker 1: Well, hello and welcome to Code NRL podcast. I'm Bulldog Richie, joined by Fatima Cando, Patima, How are you and of course Alex from NREL Soapbox Soapy?
Speaker 2: Well done?
Speaker 3: How are you? Very good mate? So I get into it.
Speaker 2: Good to see if champion all right? Let's rick anyway?
Speaker 1: State of Origin Queensland have named their side for Origin to the same Queensland side that is down one nil. And the big story is the rock star himself, Reese Walsh is back, Soapy, What have you made of it? His form this year's been modest at best, but you just get the feeling Origin might bring out the best in Reese.
Speaker 4: Well, Reese is a superstar, like he's someone that you expect to be in the Origin squad. But when Billy's decided he wasn't good enough for game one, I haven't seen anything from Reese Walsh to suggest that he's earned that spot for game two, and Billy's answers were really vague, like there's no evidence to say that Reese Walsh has turned a corner. Doesn't mean that he won't do something brilliant, but he's not looking hot right now.
Speaker 1: Of course I should add calm Ponger his fullback for TEAMLA, and Reese is going to come off the bench.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the Walsh decision.
Speaker 5: I'm with Alex.
Speaker 6: I think it's a little bit odd considering Billy Slater, when asked what like you, said what he had seen, He couldn't really point to anything, and he said, I'd leave that in house.
Speaker 5: So maybe he has seen something.
Speaker 6: You know, Billy Slater's one of the best fullbacks of his generations, so maybe he's seen something obviously that.
Speaker 5: We haven't seen.
Speaker 6: I wonder how much losing Ponger the way they did in Game one sort of maybe scared Slater a little bit, so you know, if there is a situation where they do happen to lose Ponger. I noticed Ponger was clutching at his shoulder in the game on the weekend, not to suggest he's under an injury cloud, but maybe he is sort of thinking, okay, that way, if you've got Reese on the bench, then if we do need somebody to replace pong at fullback, we're not reshuffling outside backs. He's got a straight swap. What I find interesting is defensively, Ponger didn't have his best game on the weekend. And that's why I'm so surprised that Billy Slater went with him, considering you know, he was one of the best defensive fullbacks in the game during his time. But you know, he's a big game player. Origin is the biggest stage. You know, if it was a fast game, there was plenty of fatigue in that first game, especially in the first twenty minutes, So you know, if you're looking to inject him in that clash at some point in time, maybe late in the game, he's the perfect guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you say that, Fatima, and you're one hundred percent rot.
Speaker 1: He's box office Reese Wolks, And if there is a biggest stage in Rouga League, it is State of Origin in front of what we believe could be a crowd in at the MCG in excess of ninety three, ninety four thousand.
Speaker 2: And this has got Reese Walts written all over totally.
Speaker 4: But also like Laurie's come under a lot of scrutiny for his decisions. But Billy needs to get cop some peat now too. He's one nil down and I reckon there's a little bit of I don't know what to do, Like it's a bit of an insurance policy bringing the superstar in.
Speaker 3: I didn't necessarily need you.
Speaker 4: It was nil lull, But now that I've I actually really need talent, let's bring him in. It just feels like a little bit of hit and home. I'm sure Billy has a rationale, but Laurie's cop heaps. Where's Billy's scrutiny?
Speaker 2: I will run through.
Speaker 1: There's other changes for Queens Phinifiiaki rather in for Karrigan, written a Korra in for Max Plath, Mari Tao Lungi in for Shibasaki and hel and Luki is the twentieth man. Guys, what do you make of the balance of this Coeens down squad right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think it's a it's a really good side. Obviously, Carrigan is a huge loss, Helam Luki has probably been one of the cowboys best during their run, so he's well deserving. And Finifiiaki is somebody that I've heard Billy talk about quite glowingly for a really long time now.
Speaker 5: So it's not surprising.
Speaker 6: I think he was the twentieth nineteenth man in Game one, so it's not surprising that he's getting his shot now too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Finifuaki's player fans have been crying out for in Origin. I reckon he's that perfect counterbalance to the big second roller like Homolio Kawatu Queens.
Speaker 3: They need a bit of that power. He could do really well.
Speaker 1: Now as we film this, of course, the New South Wales side has not been picked.
Speaker 2: It will be picked at seven o'clock on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: So let's just talk about some likely changes. Now we are hearing that Dylan Lucas from Newcastle may be added to the side.
Speaker 2: What would he bring, mate?
Speaker 4: He's fast, you know, he grew up playing as a center like I learned about that a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: He's fast, He's in roaring hot form. I'd be really excited to see him playing for New South Well, it's be awesome.
Speaker 1: And the other contentious one is who will replace Blake Bradley, who of course broke his arm. It's going to be out of Connor Watson and or Appy Chorus out for Timid. Do you think yesterday the sixty eight nail hammering which humiliated the West Tigers, did that damage Appy's chances?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't think so.
Speaker 6: For mine, I would have gone with Happy to start at hooker before he got suspended and missed those few weeks.
Speaker 5: I reckon he was probably you know, maybe him and Wade Egan.
Speaker 6: The form number nine's that we had and the way that you know, Happy plays his craftiness around dummy half. You know, he's got footy smarts. He just adds I think another edge to the spine by having him there. It wasn't good from the Tigers. We'll get to that later, but I still would go with Appy over Konna Watson.
Speaker 1: I think Appy's on a running dummy half as we know, but he's a very cagey sort of yeah.
Speaker 2: As I said, I believe.
Speaker 1: These days he lies with his eyes, yeah yeah, and he's a very very clever player. Look he's thirty four, but he's very experienced and certainly for my opinion, I don't know about U SOPI, but I think Appy would be the ideal man to take to Melbourne under that excruciating pressure of playing such.
Speaker 2: A big game.
Speaker 3: It's Sufferwate Egan.
Speaker 4: He's obviously been in great form, but Appy's experience and his football skill, like he's just a guy who can see the play that needs to happen, and you want an intelligent player like that, particularly in high pressure moments like Origin. Even I know the Tiger's loss was abysmal, but he can't pin that all on Appy, and so I think he deserves his spot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the other important one was Casey McLean obviously did finish that game with an ankle issue. There is no issue. He's been cleared this morning. So if he Laurie's free to pick him.
Speaker 1: Is there any concern or anxiety among this panel over Mitch Moses, who will have not played for thirty one days when we expect him to be picked and to run out at the MCG. I'm a bit a bit against the old school notion that after thirty one days they're not fit enough.
Speaker 2: They're all fit these days.
Speaker 1: They are incredible athletes in a performance by performance centers, and that doesn't particularly bother me. Someone like Mitch Moses, of his skill and durability, that he hasn't played for thirty one days, I guess he iss would be timing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I've joined the Ethan Strange fan club, so if I think I want to win, we must pick Ethan Strange. Not because Mitch Moses isn't a great player, but we already have a gun halfback. I like the cagi chaotic, manic style that Strange plays with. Moses will do a great job. He's been a fantastic servant in New South Wales. But I like that we've got a different X factor in Strange, whereas Moses and Cleary are very similar.
Speaker 3: And is it too many cooks in the kitchen there is?
Speaker 4: Does Cleary work better when he's got a junior player there who's more like eyes up foot he compared to a captain like Moses. So Mate, I'll back his selection, but I really want Ethan Strange starting.
Speaker 2: Who's six.
Speaker 5: If Moses is fit, it's Moses.
Speaker 6: The thing that worries me is absolutely thirty one days hasn't played.
Speaker 5: It's a soft tissue injury.
Speaker 6: It's he might get through the whole camp and then five ten minutes in you know that hamstring might go.
Speaker 5: So that's what I'm worried about.
Speaker 6: The interesting one is where Isaiah Katara fits in this. I know that when Matt Burden was brought in for Game one that you know Blues coaching staff are actually quite keen or we're looking in the direction of Katar but he wasn't available. So yeah, Laurie has a big decision to make because I do agree because it has been you know, like if he goes with Mitch or Mitch is injured and they lose, he made the wrong call by dropping, not dropping, but not going with Strange and it's the same thing. It's it's such a hard situation for Laurie unless we win to come out a winner.
Speaker 1: In let's go to the NRL and how could we not start with the abysmal performance we saw at Combank Stadium yesterday. Let's be fair here, that Penrith machine. I don't think I've ever seen it as clinical as what they produced yesterday. But there's no sugarcoating. No NRL side should lose sixty eight mil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's terrible. I'm still torn on which was the worst result this weekend. Was it the Broncos losing to second last or was it the Tigers capitulation against a gun team. I think this is why Benji didn't like the hype around his team earlier in the season, because then they put out performances like this against the Panthers and who would be a Tigers fan that is so embarrassing to watch that performance. Like I get, they're an amazing side and they're going to push you in there. They were obviously going to win, but to concede sixty eight points is embarrassing.
Speaker 1: I think some of the early season sopi as you alluded to, some of the early season accolades from the West Tigers were totally over the top. But I said at the time, we've put them on a higher status than what they deserve to be. They're a fair football side, they're not a final seat. They're certainly not a top four side. What did you make of it? Sixty eight twelve tries?
Speaker 5: It was bad. It was really bad. And good on Benji.
Speaker 6: You know there's been you know, lots of coaches this year trying to defect when they're you know, teams have played poorly. But he was like, we were done, we played branded and he's not wrong. But he's not wrong, right, So, And I don't know, like I am not a Tiger's fan, but I could if I was a Tigers fan and you know, somebody like really drinking the kool aid earlier, they did look like they had made significant changes of improvements over the summer. There was that resilience in defense that we haven't seen from them before they were exciting an attack. For me, the biggest problem is how they've capitulated defensively. So in the four out of the five losses that they've had in their last five games, they've considered over two hundred like. That's a problem, and the issue for them now is those losses and those heavy defeats coincide with what with Jerome Lai announcing he's going to the Chiefs now, not to say that, because they have had things going on right. Adam Dewey hasn't played since round nine, Appy he didn't play in that run as well.
Speaker 5: They lost twelve on the weekend.
Speaker 6: Samie lafe Kne, who was one of their form players, hasn't been there. So there are things going on, But it's that lack of resolve in defense that'stsicipated since the Lui decision that could potentially come back to hornmatizers.
Speaker 2: Dumb and brain dead.
Speaker 1: I love Benji's honesty, and I think it's great that a coach actually comes out and says that. However, in this current day, we know players are very sensitive. Yeah, will the players take that well or do you think there'll be a little bit of why did he gomes it's something so strong.
Speaker 4: I think from all reports, Benji's got a great connection with the squad. I think they would I would imagine he's pretty honest with them and direct. I don't think think's they were dumb and brain dead, like too bad if you don't want your coach at to hamme. I played better on the point of Leui Coen Siding. I actually thought there was even a better connection of the last time Bulldog watched them play against the Raiders. They've barely won since then, so you might have cursed the time. So I do think actually the Bulldogs game, this is why we'd be so frustrating. I don't even think it's necessarily their defensive resolve. Of course it's been bad. It's that the bigger problem is their lack of consistency. So they won on defense against the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs peppered them, peppered them, peppered them, and they held up strong. But then this week it just has gone blown out of the water. The only thing I will say is that it was a dumb and brain dead performance. But it's in oscollation in these rules. Right now, do allow for these massive scores to happen and Penrith are just capitalized. It could just be a blip. I don't think the Tiger season is dumb and brain dead.
Speaker 2: Just this game, let's pinch a positive from the game. The Panthers. Do we just give them the trophy? Now?
Speaker 3: Why are we even having this competition this season?
Speaker 2: They clearly are so far ahead of the chasing Pact.
Speaker 1: The Warriors are no doubt the second side, and from there there's probably a gap maybe to the Roosters and maybe a couple of others.
Speaker 2: How far ahead are they of the rest of the field?
Speaker 6: Willy fit par you know when and this is so was Isaaeo, Nathan Cleary and bizarre. I think all had a break last weekend post origin, came back fit and fresh with a vengeance.
Speaker 5: It reminds me of a moment.
Speaker 6: In the finals last year in the prelium and the post match where Ajourna asked Ivan whether or not the dynasty was over, and he was like, what's over?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know? And yeah, what's over?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: And look.
Speaker 6: Having said that, though there were times last year were Ivan himself questioned, especially at the start of the year, when they weren't playing well, questioned whether they'd lost that desire, lost that hunger. They've completely found it again and it's scary how good they are.
Speaker 4: They need to be studied that what are they doing? They keep losing great players and keep delivering peak performances. How are we still talking about the Penrith Pen's being invincible six years on from their first Grand Finals mental.
Speaker 2: Extraordinary, extraordinary franchise.
Speaker 1: Let's head North Brisbane Broncos have been beaten by the Titans who are running second last, and last week, of course they were beaten by the Dragons who were running last. In a word, soapie, are the Broncos gone?
Speaker 2: Yes? Why?
Speaker 4: Or they're gone because they've lost to the bottom three teams. So and I know everyone talks about their mid season revival last season, right, fair enough, that happened, but it would have to happen again. So you've got to make the top four to win the comp that that's just proven they're not gonna make it. They're now losing some players out to origin. Some of their best players last season are hopelessly out of form. It would take something that has not yet happened, like something's gonna have to like change dramatically, almost miraculously for the Broncos to have a chance. And I have been Magice mcguy's biggest defender this season. I know he copped it way too early in the season with the Broncos poor form, but at the moment they deserve some scrutiny. They need to play better. It's really bad. The defending premiere is to lose to last, second, last, and third last hopeless.
Speaker 1: You got to remember too, last year was an extraordinary run on the back of Rysce Walsh whose final series was just off the charts. But just because you did it in twenty twenty five, you don't do it in twenty twenty six. So everyone's out there waiting for this run to come, waiting for them to get hot. And who's to say they will get hot. I think they're gone. I said it last week.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So they need to win ten, so they've got two buys in hand. If my math is right, and math isn't my strong point, I think they need to win ten from their last eleven.
Speaker 5: Basically, and then you look at the run.
Speaker 6: So obviously the Rabbit o's this week they go into the Roosters Sharks Penrith, Cowboys, Knights, Dolphins, Warriors. When you look at that and you see how the Broncos are playing at the moment, there isn't a game there where I comfortably go Okay, the Broncos have got this. The Broncos are going to knock off the Cowboys in the respect. And also too, they haven't been that great at home. You know, sun Corp was a fortress for them, but they've lost way too many games at home as well. And again I love match too, like I'm one of his biggest defenders. They have had a lot of injuries and they just haven't been able to pick themselves up off the canvas.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 2: Fosball yeah, baby, it's still going. Can you believe this?
Speaker 1: Eight from ten under Kieran four and of course was given a three year full time extension contract just last week. He's got KFC signs, he's got Fosball Park. Even the local Brookvale Public School is now known as fos Public School. Really, having said that, I think I know Kieran well enough to suggest that there's a bye this weekend. The community on the Northern Beaches is right behind Foles and it's been fantastic, But at some point I think Kieran's got to say, right, that's it, no more media, Let's pull everything right.
Speaker 2: Back all right.
Speaker 4: It would be a shame for him to do that. The fos, this boor movement has captivated fans like the upp the Wise movement has. I think Justin Horror was talking about this and I thought his analysis and that was brilliant, Like it's something special that's happening on the Northern Beaches who have been quite despondent for many a year, and now everyone wants to be involved with kran for it. He doesn't have to be the thing about. I know he hates it. I know he hates the attention. He doesn't want it. But the problem is that just creates more and more fanfare. The more he resists it, the more fan the more it makes him more likable because he's genuinely humble. So he might call it, but it won't matter because it's a train that's the horse has bolted. The Northern Beaches is alive, singing the song of here and for it now.
Speaker 1: Curing to Tim last week at a press conference that he believes that Manly can win the premiership, the year this year, and I love that optimism. I love the fact that coach will say we can win it and as he rightly said, how can I not believe it and then try to portray it onto my players. We've just discussed the Panthers. They're miles out of the field. But if there's a swooper, can Manly come home and win the premiership?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't see why not. But if we're talking about like a bolt or a dark horse.
Speaker 6: So I like what the Dolphins are doing at the moment, but yeah, I just think it's Penrith Warriors. The Roosters are coming good at the right time. Yeah they could, but there's there's other teams and that could territory too.
Speaker 5: That I like a bit more.
Speaker 4: I think Manly are overperforming. I think this is why Kieran fren is a great coach. When I look at that pack that went up against South Sydney at the start of the season, you'd have no chance that Manley were going to dominate that pack, but they did. They won the battle in the middle. So he's got those boys playing fantastically, but they do have a lot of injuries and a lot of age in that pack so and anyone that's coming in is very inexperienced, so what they're doing is amazing. I'm not buying into the hype. I want to believe. I'm a Manley fan by the way, if you didn't know, we're in a fozzball hat. I want to believe Manly can do it. But they're firstly, Penrith are just out of this league. Yeah, so let's let's Manly fans should want to the team, believe their team can make a push. But there's a lot of there's some numerous better teams in the comp right now.
Speaker 2: Talking of another Sydney side that isn't in form the Bunnies. Where are they at the moment?
Speaker 1: They're really struggling and that was a pretty fair side. They feel it against me only on the weekend. I never suggest sow to one man team. But when Latrell's there, they're elite. When the Trell isn't there, they look like their trades are like at best. So look, Latrell's another couple of weeks away, as I understand, But where are they at the moment?
Speaker 2: Fatima?
Speaker 6: I think they've improved significantly on where they were last year, So there's that, but I do tend to agree, and I don't just think it's the way in which Latrell can put this side on his back and win games. It's just I think there's probably a morale lift when you've got somebody like Latrell on the field, and I think that's what they're missing the.
Speaker 3: Most, to be honest, Hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually surprising that they aren't doing better because they don't have the same injury problem as last year. I don't know what the issue is. I mean, they have changed their hearts halfway through the season as well, so it doesn't feel like Wayn Bennett's fully locked in on who his best spine and squad is. They need some stability though, because they need consistent resides from here otherwise they're going to miss out in the eight.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Another big story over the weekend was Melbourne storm for TIMA, they've just put together their fourth win in five games. I don't think Melbourne can win the comp. I think there were shadow of the side that they once were, but the form shows that they are making a surge. Can they get there and if they do, can they make a swash?
Speaker 6: Yes and yes, but they have to It's almost like someone flicked a switch down there. So devastating news as well with Xavier Coats rupturing his achilles, so you know that could be up to ten month injury. But aside to all of that, you know, Hughes is back, Monster's back, Grant is back. I mean, so if Alongo has been sewer all season and all of a sudden they look like, you know, maybe yeah, shade not shades of the Melbourne we know, but I think we've seen enough from them to absolutely make a run.
Speaker 1: So if Grant's there, monsters their hues is there, soapie yeah, yeah, I guess that does present a fair issue for opposing sides.
Speaker 4: Well, I hate this, like this is meant to be the year that the Melbourne Storm aren't good.
Speaker 3: They sucked.
Speaker 4: We all watched it. They were terrible. Craig Bellamy had no idea what was going on. Munster was upset. He's like, the rules suck, we can't work in this game. And so I'm filthy. I'm absolutely filthy that the Melbourne Storm are doing well again. This is the year You're not meant to make the eight leave some space for us. So I'm absolutely petrified that they're going to go on a massive run. Whereas we look at the Broncos and we're talking about can they make it, they need to go on an amazing run. Well, now there's evidence that Melbourne can. They look like a very good team and I'm petrified of seeing them in the top eight. I don't think they can win it, but I'll be absolutely devastated if they make the eight. I want a finals campaign that's a bit more alive because you just know they're going to turn it up when it comes to the finals.
Speaker 2: I don't want that.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what Craig Villamy does so well, it has done for more than twenty years. Before we go the Camber Raiders, Yeah, last year's Minor premiers.
Speaker 2: They're on their backsides. They've pull's on themselves with.
Speaker 1: Samil discipline and that performance in the weekend against the Rue which is twenty six to nil.
Speaker 4: But they were never in that game. No Russ looked hot though, didn't they they? I think Ricky was pretty didn't say much in his press conference but just said they were too good. They were though the Russ looked amazing. I think the Raiders are going to rue the ill discipline they had at the start of the season. I feel like they've actually gotten much better at that. They're not getting as hot headed, but they're not finding ways to that usual chaotic score A point out at its core, it try out of nowhere. Do you think there's any issue with the fact that they've switched the halves, that Sanders has gone to the left and Strangers gone to the right. They've broken up a great combo that Strange had with Young What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 6: Yes, I do agree with that, But at the same time too, I think Ethan Sanders, who showed some really good signs early on, probably hasn't had as much impact. So I don't know if you want to call it teething issues. I think he'll get better in time. But I've said all along they have had discipline issues and it will come back.
Speaker 5: To bite them.
Speaker 6: Speaking of and I'm a Raiders' fan, so I hate saying this is a Raiders fan speaking of teams that overachieved, and you know you said your team is overachieving. I felt that being mindor preent. And I know it's hard to say because they were minor premiers that absolutely did overachieve.
Speaker 5: Last year. That's not to say they should be.
Speaker 6: In the position that they're in at the moment, but in that game on the weekend, like you said, they've got so many threats that just seem dull. This time round, they still have issues on their edges. Defensively, they're missing Simisusangi, but Cherry Evans did an incredible job of nullifying the back three in particular Kayo Weeks, and when you take that out of what the Raiders have got going forward, it hurts them.