Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now this is going to be very confusing because we are all based in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Well, you two in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: I'm down in the Mornington Peninsula. But anybody listens to this is going they're not natives. So just give us a bit of both of your background, kind of where you're from and your cold kind of educational professional background.
Speaker 3: We'll go ladies first. Why not?
Speaker 1: Thanks? So I am originally from Miami, Florida. I have been in Australia for fifteen years. I make the joke that I identify as Australian and my pronouns are yeah, nah and yeah. The reason the reason I came to Australia was because I won an all expenses paid trip to Tasmania in a video competition. So I drove in a bright orange Camebra van around Tasmania for six weeks filming and capturing all of our our kind of excursions and things like that. This was back before YouTube was sort of a thing. It was in twenty ten, two thousand and nine. So yeah, I came to Tazzy. I did a working holiday visa for a year in Melbourne and then figured out a sneaky way to get myself here for good.
Speaker 3: So did that involve marrying a local.
Speaker 1: No, I am here on my own accord.
Speaker 3: Yes, unlike me exactly.
Speaker 1: Most people there their ticket is someone else me. I snuck in there and figured out how to get sponsored through my work. So yeah, I have a PR and marketing background originally, but I've always been very obsessed with human behavior and just the way the mind kind of works, and our own levels of consciousness and self awareness. And so when I did come to Australia at the ripe page of twenty five, I was thinking to myself, what am I doing here? Who am I? And I ended up having a coach who I did some great work with, just kind of landing and who I wanted to be in this new space. And he one day said to me, you should be a coach. You really, you really get this stuff. And I said, okay, sure. I was kind of done with I was kind of done with PR and marketing, so I went and got my coaching certification. I set up a successful coaching business. I worked outside of different wellness centers, and then I just was getting this itch of the one on one thing for me. I'm super extroverted and I always wanted to be an actress when I was a kid. So I was like, this is this work is rewarding, but I want to like reach more people. I want to kind of have a little bit of a stage. So I started crafting workshops that were about mental health and well being. But I would bring a character in or I would dress up as like, you know, how to tame I would do how to Tame your inner critic, and I would dress up as a lion tamer just to create a little bit more kind of levity and lightness around heavier topics. And then yeah, I started to just kind of delve more into more in this idea of play, and I tried to run Australia's first ever adult summer camp, which was unfortunately the first of my business and quite a flop. I had, I think three people three people book. But then I really was trying to get to my core. I was doing my Simon sink Why and I was like, all right, I really want to connect adults to their playfulness. And I had a friend say, oh, why don't you look at doing it from a personal sorry from a professional perspective then personal, So I kind of pivoted from play for personal into play for professional did a real big deep dive around what was happening in Silicon Valley and things like that, and then started iterating on that, and that was This year is my tenth year in really diving into this world of play at work and all of the benefits that it creates around innovation, creativity, psychological safety. I mean, the list goes on and on from mental health and well being. For me, play is such this incredible conduit with which we can enter into our full potential as human beings. And I think, you know, we can talk more about that in a bit. I want to give Tana a chance to give his origin story, But yeah, I think you know, play is a real opportunity to unlock so much of our own internal b allions, which is very much buried under achievement, success, mortgages, responsibility, conformity, risk, aversion. So yeah, I think there's a lot to be said about how do we sort of excavate that part of ourselves to arrive in this kind of crazy time of technological change and disruption.
Speaker 2: That is very cool, And you know what, I've got a big takeaway from this already. I think I'm going to use your iMX Military. I'm a corporate speaker X military. I love fancy dress. I'm going to start dressing up on stage. I'm going to try and find a way to weave in being a smurf, for sure. I've been a smurf so many times. You would not believe it, could you not?
Speaker 3: But anyway, that's a different.
Speaker 2: Podcast where I probably need to lie down on the couch tane over to you. Let's talk about you. You bet you better be good after that one.
Speaker 4: So I'm originally from rural New Mexico, on the border between the US and Mexico. I like cats and dogs equally, long walks on the beach, and I am an all round nerd. So I really had a love affair with biology and the way the world works for as long as I can remember. But I'm also an intense adrenaline drunkie. So my way to get in touch with biology was to get out into nature through mountain biking. And my first real job was professional mountain biker, cross country mountain biker.
Speaker 3: In the US. Wow.
Speaker 4: And that was going smoothly until I broke my back. Didn't yeah until it finally got the better of my body.
Speaker 3: But I focused back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, but when one door closes, many more open. So I refocused on academics and finished my undergrad in bio kem and then decided to have an opportunity to go sailing with my Kiwi father and Tasmanian mother, and so we sailed across the South Pacific to New Zealand. And on that journey I actually came across a whale dissection a Cuvier beaked weal, which is the deepest diving mammal and the really interesting and I can't smell, so I'm in anosmiac so good. I'm a good partner to have. You can fight around me and not shower and I am unaware. But on this whale dissection, I really love marine biology and I wanted to be a marine biologist. And this woman from Harvard Medical School, Darling Kenton, who was leading the dissection which I got to help with, told me this marine biology is a saturated field, but if you can understand the code of life itself DNA, you can apply it to any field within biology. So that's out with me for a while. And landed in New Zealand and first started house painting because I was broke as and then got a job doing how hospitalities founded up, managing wineries and making wine on Wayhiki and New Zealand. And then my brain was atrophying, and because I'm a nerd, I went back to academia and I went to the University of Melbourne for bioinformatics, basically using AI machine learning to read DNA and figure out what genetic changes are causing cancer and working with clinicians to improve patient outcomes. So my PhD research was at Peter McCollum Cancer Center and during this time I love science, I love technology, but I think it lacks good communication. So formed a company called future Crunch, which is science communication explores the frontiers of science and technology and really seeks out stories of human progress, stories of incredible people around the world doing great stuff to make the world a better place, because I think one people really suffer from is negative information, a torrent of negative news, and that doesn't lead to pathways forward and a belief that lotions are available. So that for the last thirteen years have been working with organizations and individuals to help foster intelligent optimism with the Reverend Humor and fancy colorful jackets on stage, so that's pretty much me and ended up in Melbourne, Love Australia and ran across Darra and a plain nerd and a science tech nerd collided and we now work together in a more I would say human holistic approach. So we're both nerds from different angles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Wow, fascinating backgrounds. And are you still in academia tany or are you just in the company now doing stuff with organizations.
Speaker 4: Future corunch has become a full time thing. But I call myself a recovering academic. I like the Ivory Towers, but comes with its problems, and so I like getting research out and science and tech innovations to the general public. We have all, I believe we have most of the tools in our tool build to get out of the mess we've created. It's just about inspiring and educating people to get out.
Speaker 3: There and do it. Yeah. Cool, quite similar.
Speaker 2: I call myself a procademic, so I like to read all the geeky academic research and go how does this apply and then talk to talk to people about how they can use it to improve their lives. So, now, in that that intro from both of you, obviously we're we're pointing towards and your book as well, is that today we're.
Speaker 3: Really not doing very well.
Speaker 2: You know, we are, as I often say, we are the most overweight, most depressed, most medicated, and most addictive cohort of adults that there's ever been. Yet life has never being so good, right, we got it easier than all of our ancestors. Yet we are struggling physically and mentally, and often that manifests in burnout, and and your your book is is kind of what we can do about this. But but let's just let's just talk about burnout. I mean, what what what are you guys seeing out there? I mean, you're you're at the cold face, you're interrupted and interacting with with companies.
Speaker 3: I mean I can come at it from an academic.
Speaker 2: Perspective, but what do you what are you actually seeing in the organizations that you're working with.
Speaker 1: I think what we kind of general theme is just this blanket of exhaustion, this blanket of overwhelm, this intensity around uncertainty around job security. Obviously, like the conversation around AI, you know, AI and jobs is I think creating so much fear within people. I think for both of us, we've been entrepreneurs for over a decade, and it was always that uncertainty around when's the next paycheck going to come? But now even with that, with a full time job with a company, you have no job security. The amount of redundancies and transformations and restructuring that are happening is just causing people so much distress. And so I think, you know, one thing that isn't necessarily explicit in the book, but what is basically the general gist of what we're trying to talk about is really looking at conditions. Because I think when we explore burnout from a systemic perspective, it feels very big. And so when we talk about how burnout costs businesses trillions of dollars, how does a leader actually really see themselves in those numbers, and how do we kind of bring it down to a more granular level for what they can relate to and see in their people and what's happening. And so when you think about the conditions, it's actually, you know, a smaller subset of what the systemic issue is around work. I mean, when you think about the industrial revolution and even the in work ethic around play being sorry by work being salvation and things like that, that's like five hundred years of unprogramming that we need to do around how we identify it with work and success and achievement. Right, But that's so big, and when we try and approach something that's so big, we become paralyzed and we do nothing. So for us, especially with the way that we've written the book, is really about creating sort of micropractices and micro moments around changing the conditions both in the environments that we have control over in our own lives and also giving leaders the opportunity to think about changing the conditions within their realm of and sphere of influence.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: And so when we think about burnout, like burnout is kind of the holy grail of exhaustion, right, it's like when you've actually reached your end where you are having a mental and physical or you know, mental or physical breakdown. Basically you might become hospitalized, you know, whatever it is. But what we discovered in researching what kind of is like the presupposition of burnout is something called achievement syndrome, which comes from an amazing researcher based in the States called Michael Simmons, which is really the slow and steady kind of slide towards burnout. And it really happens from the moment when we're children and we start to achieve, So we get ribbons and trophies and report cards and stars and stickers, and you know, we're really awarded for Yeah, exactly correct, and so that starts to feel good and we really like that, and then that takes us into our kind of identity fusion where we're starting to connect to success as like who we are, you know, it's like I am my achievements, and so we start to lose our sense of self and really the kind of passion that started us off when we were younger and really hungry to learn and grow starts to diminish because we become so engulfed in this concept of promotion and recognition and validation and all those sorts of things. Then we kind of get into this optimization.
Speaker 2: Shara, Sorry, I need to just stop because I've just had a pop up which I've never seen before, okay, which is saying Dara is not being recorded, Okay, stop being recorded because of low browser story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so my my computer is like to the max loaded, and so can I Yeah, you know, I have to I have eight I have ADHD and my ability to keep my computer in check is non existent.
Speaker 2: So let me so it's saying, ask them to free up space and then rejoin.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I'm going to offer. I'm going to do my best to delete a few things here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Cool, And why do you do that?
Speaker 2: We're just going to keep rolling actually because this is funny, because because as you might said, her computer is suffering from Bernard overwhelmed syndrome.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how how much people caught of Dara before her computer shot the bed, but so there's this started to mention there, Danny, and maybe you pick up on this Tanney side that essentially what she's alluding to is this modern world is becoming more and more vooka. This is a term from the military from my kind of background, a word of volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity.
Speaker 3: Right, And how all of that.
Speaker 2: Uncertainty that's now being brought in by tech and actually amplifies the stress that people feel of So I kind of want to do a bit of a dive on this.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been an entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: I understand what Dara was was was talking about with you know, words, the next paycheck, all of that that uncertainty, that stress of being a startup person. Normally people with a normal job don't have that.
Speaker 3: Now they have this uncertainty. But can you you.
Speaker 2: Wave that in with achievement syndrome and just how those words are actually colliding to push people kind of over the edge and that constant information load that we are getting and the inembility to switch off.
Speaker 3: Really yes, So to.
Speaker 4: Pick up where there was with achievement syndrome. She was talking about early programming, where you know, love and your identity becomes sort of conditional on performance, your gold stars, your report cards, you're be impressive and you belong. And as we grow and move into the workplace, we really get this identity fusion where we become our output performance in our person It becomes indistinguishable, which leads us into this, especially with AI as a layer over everything in the world in which we live, work and play, we sort of have to enjoy. We get to this thing where we start scheduling joy morning routines get hacked. We look at a bunch of productivity poor and so every moment is optimized.
Speaker 3: We kind of.
Speaker 4: Forget how to care without producing something and that's a diminishing curve which leads to burnout. It's like the more success you get, the less satisfaction relationships a road, your sleep starts to suffer, winds sort of begin to feel hollow and you don't take as much pride in them, and then you lead to the break The calendar doesn't didn't schedule the breakdown, of course, but we reach this threshold and keep hustling unless we sort of get out of this achievement syndrome. Because this achievement syndrome, it doesn't just hijack our thinking. At hijacks are breathing. We have shallow breathing. It activates our nervous system. We sort of lose present moment awareness. Cortisol is flooding our system. Our jaws locked shoulders live in permanent tension. Our head feels like a balloon on a string. And yeah, and I think with your information overload as well, going back to what darre was talking about with conditions, conditions are really the soil, and I think that's where a lot of our apathy, fear, and burnout comes from and our disconnection. So think of conditions like it's a relationship ecosystem with our family, friends, and our organizational culture. It's our information diet where we have a torrent of fake news. You need to do more of course, with negativity, bias and the media system that's predicated on fear and interrational perception of risk to get our attention. Nervous systems really overload and which reduces We have a triple C conditions, capacity and capability. But this reduces our capacity, which is essentially the bandwidth and what's growing from the conditions, the conditional soil and our base, our foundations, and so capacity is not necessarily a skill that your bandwidth. It's the underlying resource that makes really everything else possible, and it's dynamic, contextual, and it's deeply conditionally dependent. And then what we have is called capability, and those are skills that we can develop, exercise, and it's what happens when latent human capacity gets enough of the right conditions, the enough practice to become to thrive, become reliable and accessible under pressure. And once you form strong capabilities, they feedback into your capacity. Your bandwidth and capacity increases. For example, a person who develops curiosity is a capacity. Our capability and their capacity increase. They start treating novelty new things as novelty and exciting rather than threatening. The energization increases and it increases their capacity. A person who's developed hope, for example, strategic cope as a capability, finds obstacles that used to be difficult to navigate and depleteting are far easier to get around and deal with, and developed capacity starts to change fundamentally the conditions around them. So, for example, good leaders, once they build capacity and good capability, they actually start creating better conditions around them for their ecosystem. And that's one that's our three c's that really get to the point of if any of these go offline, you lead to burnout, achievement syndrome, and chronic stress because in the modern day workforce, it's always high stakes. There's always you know, fear of failure and risk aversion. And I think that's a lot of what we're suffering despite AI coming to steal your jobs and the information overload.
Speaker 3: I think it's really interesting.
Speaker 2: I like these three season I want to do a little bit of a deeper dive just so that that people understand the impact of conditions on their capacity and maybe even their their capability because when we are are overwhelmed or overloaded, right, So we're as you guys have both said, we're busy, busy, busy at work, right, even if AI is coming and we're using AI. The research is saying that people are just having to do more, right, and so it's actually not really a useful tone.
Speaker 3: You're just expected to do more.
Speaker 2: But I think that the pandemic has had a big impact on this, and particularly in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Were you guys here, You were here during the lockdowns, right.
Speaker 4: The lockdown capital of the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, as we as we we well know, the three of us. But that I think, and we're starting to see the impact of that more on kids, but I think on adults.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, the recent data is that the nearly fifty percent of Australians are are feeling constantly stressed and on the verge of burnout.
Speaker 3: And I think for people.
Speaker 2: To understand, particularly going through that intense period of lockdown, and that amplifies any of the burnout that they were feeling, that drives it towards clinical burnout where they get a large dmygdala, the frontal lobes are shrinking all of a sudden. Now I have a negativity bias. I'm starting to scan the environment non consciously for bad shit, right, which is a brilliant adaptive response if you're living in a dangerous world. But if we don't live in a danger world, it's maladaptive. Then my frontal lobes aren't working so well. I can't regulate my emotions as well. I can't also my self controlled hearts of the bri in become diminished, so I'm more likely to eat ship food drink alcohol to soothe my stress.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So these are the conditions starting to amplify, and they and HI work conditions interact with personal conditions and choices that then destroy your capacity and further eroad your capabilities.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's almost like modern life.
Speaker 2: And then throw in lockdown on that, and then throw in AI over the top. It's like a perfect storm for driving people into burnout. And the one last thing I'd say before I throw it over to you is that then we come home and we feel fucking hell about a hard day. I need to relax, right, And people often do that sitting with their feed up with a bottle of wine, watching Netflix.
Speaker 3: Right, having maladaptive behaviors.
Speaker 2: And I always say relaxation is very different to recovery, and then you're affecting your sleep, which then sends you on a fucking horrible negative spiral.
Speaker 3: So it's all joy, isn't it really? So what are some of the things where do we start? I guess maybe I'll throw it to you.
Speaker 2: Is there a starting point with those three c's typically.
Speaker 3: That you do or does that.
Speaker 2: Vary from individual to individual, from organization the organization, as it different from organizations to individuals as well well.
Speaker 1: I think when we start with conditions, which is the foundational piece with either organizations or personally. Right, So obviously we have the most control over our own personal conditions, and we don't necessarily have that much control over our work conditions unless we decide to leave and make that choice to go elsewhere, whether it's to go out on our own or find a different company, so that we're not necessarily rendered choiceless. But again not trying to be a Pollyanna like we are. You know, interest rates are up again, like you know, the cost of living is insane, So it doesn't doesn't we don't necessarily have this opportunity to go I don't like my job, I'm just going to find a new one, Like the job market is just so volatile at the moment. So I think what we can start to understand and recognize in creating agency for ourselves is what are the conditions we are creating for our personal life relationally? What are our conditions? Are we seeking out connection? Are we are we catching up with friends? Are we seeing a therapist?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What are we actually doing in order to create better conditions for ourselves? From from a connection perspective, which you said recently, you've thrown in connection as one of your one of your sees, everyone has a good and so you know, connection is as vital to our mental health and well being as food, water, shelter. You know, it's like vitamin C, vitamin connect. There's plenty of data. There's plenty of data out there around blue zones and things like that around you know, how do people centennials live past one hundred because of their community?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So that's one thing that we can be looking at. How much are we interacting with other people? Are we you know, building community? Are we spending time with family with quality?
Speaker 3: And now we're doing it face to face rather than online?
Speaker 1: Correct? Correct? Because obviously social media creates this fallacy of connection. It is not actual physical energetic connection that you receive from a human being when you are mirroring each other and you know, in a physical space. So from a conditions perspective, there's relational. Then from a condition's perspective, you have your information diet, which I will hand all that over to Tana to explain, and then I might have him ping pong back to me because information diet is his jam. But from again conditions perspective, what is the information that we are ingesting over to utane?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the conditions of the information and knowledge that you are receiving has an effect on your capabilities and your capacity. So we call it information diet in the same way that we think of a culinary diet weed, healthy foods, leafy greens, fiber, you know, low saturated fat, et cetera, to make us healthier, and of course add some exercise in there. We don't think of our information intake in the same way. I think people forget that we should be like taking in information that actually nourishes you. So choose your narrative nash that really is evidence based. It gives you an active view on the world around you. It's not toxic positivity. And I think it leads to something that we call intelligent optimism, which is it's evident spaceed, it's an accurate positive projection. It's a difference between cynical people like what's wrong with this people in this process, and an accurate assessment where are the people actually doing something different providing solutions. And I think if people really did an audit of their information diet and properly curate it, they would find out that there are lots of solutions. There's power reduction, clean energy trajectories, better ways of doing stuff in the twenty first century that we can all get involved with as opposed to just netflixing and chilling or going down a YouTube rabbit hole watching cat videos.
Speaker 2: And also I think something that Donna may be mentioned at the start, like like the news negativity sales, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean we know that, and you know, do you know what It actually pisses me off.
Speaker 2: The amount of time that I hear the word crisis mentioned in this country.
Speaker 3: This country is not in a fucking crisis. You know, Sudan is in a crisis.
Speaker 2: It's just but it's that negativity that just gets eyeballs and then when people already have a hyper sensitive amygdala because of all the shit that's been going on, it's just then that negativity just draws us in, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: And I think it just combines everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And from an evolutionary perspective, we're hardwired to react to the dramatic and negative. I mean, we've got negativity bias. And you know, like if it bleeds, it leads. Is not some colloquialism coined by a cutthroat tabloid editor. It's a potent evolutionary truth at the modern day medium machine. And we're not We're also not equipped to deal with the worst stuff happening all over the planet all at the same time.
Speaker 3: It's overwhelming. Yeah. Yeah, we were never designed.
Speaker 2: Our brains weren't designed to know all of the wars that are happening and all of the injustices that are happening all around the friggin world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we have confirmation bias. So once we started in ingesting all this negative news and all the worst stuff going on around the world, and we think the world is a horrible place and declining, we go out for more information that confirms those pre existing notions. So we become this echo chamber of our own design, and I think a lot of people fall into that.
Speaker 3: And so what do we do? What do we do about it?
Speaker 2: I mean, you hinted at it when you mentioned some of the positive things that are happening in the world. I mean, is this about being very careful about what you expose yourself to any information and starting to look for more positive things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's not positive just to you know, fireman saves cap from trees or you know, you hear about those kind of good feel stories. It's about actively thinking about what information is going to serve you, and especially when it comes to negative news. A lot of people and you know, look at well we're from Darren and I from the US. If you look at US politics, everyone's freaking out about it. But what are people actually doing about it?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 4: So they get all the negative chemicals and they rewire their brain to start looking for more negative stuff.
Speaker 3: And I mean the the.
Speaker 4: US politics, it's the greatest reality TV show ever and everyone's eyes are glued to it, but they're not doing anything about it. So think about if you're thinking about a problem or information that is dealing with the problem, is it something that you can solve and with that problem, seeking solutions rather than just defining the problem. The problems are pretty well defined. So it's about auditing your information diet. We're not saying ignore what's truly going on, but balancing the negativity with solution based thinking and information. Really checking your facts and understanding if you're getting a piece of information, where's it coming from and what was the intention of that information in the first place.
Speaker 2: And probably I think a nice little strategy I think I mentioned it in my book is to look at all the news headlines. Don't click on them, just look at the headlines and go, is this something that I could do something about? Acting like yeah, right, because you know, if it's not, then it's just worry, worry, worry, worry.
Speaker 3: What what role?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you cover this in your book at all, So it just might be throwing throwing this just just on the spot. What role do you think reading philosophy, for example, I'm a big fan of reading philosophy, particularly Stoicism, but there's lots.
Speaker 3: Of different philosophies, whatever it.
Speaker 2: May be, that that can actually give you a really good sense of perspective. And I think the Stoics in particular, were very very good at helping people to just align their thinking and understanding that it's not what happens, but it's about my judgments about that and my actions and focusing on what I can control. Do you think there's a role here in that information diet that it should include a bit of philosophy.
Speaker 1: I'd like to answer this, please go go. I think that what's beautiful about philosop is that it is unanswerable. And I think in our day and age, we are so glued to the need for certainty and for answers that it diminishes our capacity for curiosity. And when we lose our ability to be curious and to ask our own questions and to seek out our own answers, then we are really missing out on this ability to like stretch ourselves and become uncomfortable and just like have that sense of wonder and awe and and and playfulness with the world. And you know, to be to be or not to be? That is the question, right because it because it's not answerable. And I think when we like we're so in need of certainty in this uncertain world that being able to incorporate some philosophy into your life or even pontificating, you know, existentially on your on your own life of you know, what does it all mean? Not from a doomsday perspective, but just from like a you know, what can I get out of this experience? I'm here, I'm only here for a short time. What am I going to do with this life? And and how am I gonna feel joy and feel connection and have gratitude and and be thankful? And a lot of that stems from curiosity. And there's a really amazing thinker that we interviewed in our book, David Pearl, who is very much a curiosity expert. And there's this real interesting delineation between interest and curiosity because interest has this sense of I'm trying to find something out or I'm kind of judging it a little bit. What is it? What is it? You know, how does it relate to what I need or or what my thinking is, whereas curiosity is is this exploration. There is no sort of ego involved, there's no judgment involved. It's just curiosity for curiosity's sake. And so, you know, you could go to a party and be chatting to a bunch of random people and you're like, oh, no, none of these people are very interesting, and it's like, well, you can be curious about uninterest. You can be curious about uninteresting things, just you can.
Speaker 2: Be curious about pricks andhads.
Speaker 1: So I think philosoph if he breeds curiosity, it is like the essence of what it is. It's it's about pondering things that are you know, are not necessarily answerable. And how do we as human beings be okay with that ambiguity? Do you know what I mean? Because because right now we live in uncertain times and there is so much ambiguity and is AI going to save us or is it going to kill us? Who the hell knows, But just being able to be in that space of kind of holding two truths at once and having that dialectical thinking and being able to say, like going back to what tan I was saying about intelligent optimism, like yes, things are fucked and they're getting better, and there's there's there's possible solutions out there that people are doing and then are getting their their hands dirty. So I think philosophy has a has a great place and helping us expand our minds and our thinking and our perspection, perception.
Speaker 3: And I love that you.
Speaker 2: Sorry China, right the topic just I love that you three in awe and gratitude there I actually write about three of them in my in my book, like curiosity all and gratitude, like wait, when is the last time for the listeners that you just sat out and looked up at the stars.
Speaker 3: And went fuck wow like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: And you know a start that I like to throw out, whether it's correct or not, but scientists estimate that our chances of ever having been born are about one in four hundred trillion.
Speaker 3: You know, we've all won the greatest ever lottery.
Speaker 2: How about we start fucking acting like it rather than just complaining about shit? Right, there's so much amazing shit for me. A lot of this comes down to attention and what you choose to place your attention on. So to Tannag's point, with the information diet, you can choose where you're placing your attention.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the biggest thing that we.
Speaker 2: Have under our control is our just being very rigorous about that flashlid of your attention.
Speaker 3: Because when we pay attention to.
Speaker 1: You, I want to do I want to do you one better. I think it's about dopamine.
Speaker 3: So our attention, we're opening here.
Speaker 1: But I think, yes, there's like attention and dopamine are so highly connected, right, So it's that it's that motivation of seeking out the thing, right. And so I've been fascinated because I have ADHD and I've been so fascinated with this concept of this pain pleasure continuum that our body exists in. And I don't think a lot of people. I read Dopamine Nation recently, which talks about this continuum that has existed within us. And so when we seek out pleasure all the time, there is an inevitability that we will feel pain, we will crush, we will one hundred because our body needs to maintain homeostasis, and because pain and pleasure are on the same tract within our biology and our neurology. And so that's why things like high intensity interval training or trying something you've never tried before that's hard, or doing ice baths or its cold showers or whatever, you're forcing our body into a pain state to then be able to tip you into a pleasure state. And so when we're constantly dopamine seeking this short pleasure that we feel and again, it's we are victims of our conditions because we know so much about the way that our brain works. Now, so there's marketers and neuroscientists and behavioral experts that are just playing on our that are just playing on our biology and our wiring to maximize their capacity to sell to us and to influence us. And so it's grabbing our attention because it is there is the perfect equation has been unleashed around how do we get people to do the shit we want them to do through X, Y and Z. And so I think when people understand more about dopamine and pain and pleasure and how much we need to find balance in our lives between those two things, because, like you said before, this level of comfortability that we're feeling is essentially killing us. It is this intense paradox that we exist in as human beings where we are the most comfortable and most uncomfortable that we have ever been. And that is also that's philosophy. Right to be comfortable or to not to be comfortable? That is the question.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm laughing because my first book was called death by Comfort.
Speaker 3: Yes, life is killing us.
Speaker 2: But I just wrote a LinkedIn article about three days ago about the neurobiology of doing hard things and how the dopamine that you get from easy shit like scrolling and food and drugs and alcohol causes the crash, whereas when you do hard stuff, your body rewards you with a more sustained pit of dopamine but without the crash, because it's evolutionary biology. Because Tana, when he's fucking hungry, has to go out and hunt, and it's hard and he's knackered, and he's got to continue to do that. So that's why his brain gives them the reward are doing hard stuff, because it's like, you need to do this shit again otherwise we're going to die.
Speaker 3: And let's let's let's not talk about because.
Speaker 2: You you you guys talk about play right and and and actually before we get to that, let's just just finish off. Whoever wants to take this one a bite, how our modern work environment keeps our nervous systems stuck in threat mode, Right, Tanny, do you want to take that one? Or Darry you're nodding your head. Whoever, I don't mind who takes that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we could both probably contribute. But just a quick thing to think about and something that Tana and I have been sort of uncovering. It's it's amazing. I don't know if you have this because you've written quite a few books. It's like, after you write your book, then there's like all of these aha moments and like all of these connections and patterns and thinking that just can continue happening even past finishing the manuscript. And so what we're realizing, going back to this conversation around conditions, capacity and capability, You are higher in an organization because of your capability, because you have the skills, the mindsets, the behaviors that are qualify you for a particular role. Right, then we enter these environments or these conditions that do not sort of elevate or or or grow this or amplify. Yeah, so then we're basically suppressing, right where if you imagine capacity as a cup, right, and your cup starts quite big, ready to go, You've got your new job, it's awesome. But then as things chip away, everything is high stakes. That's another thing that we talk about, is like everything is a high stakes environment. Everything is so important, everything is urgent, and again that's how that's how your nervous system responds you. You are in fight or flight mode. You have amygdala hijack. You're constantly in stress. When we're stressed, we can't be curious, we can't have all, we can't have wonder, we can't be playful. It just doesn't Our brain is not great. And because we've created this false sense of safety with an organization where safety feels like risk, aversion and conformity and certainty, right like, that's like what we sort of secretly identify is safe within an organization. Let's not do the crazy thing where we're thinking of a million ideas and you know, we need there's there's compliance, and all these things that are supposed to keep things tidy, you know, are the very things that are depleting everyone's capacity and therefore their capability. So then we create these conditions which are suppressing everyone's capability, right because the capabilities don't disappear, they don't just like evaporate, they're just suppressed, constrained, suppressed, put like. And so then we spend shitloads of money on training so that we can bring people's capability back, but we don't actually change the conditions, so we're not only suppressing capability. Then we're wasting a shit ton of money trying to re reskill them and something they are likely already probably very good at, but it doesn't exist at the moment because it's so suppressed. It becomes this gross self fulfilling prophecy and a total waste of time and money. It's like, forget about trying to you know, upskill people. Just you hired them for a reason. Give them the conditions enable them, like let the human potential be seen and felt and not just going, oh, like, this is a people problem. People are disengaged and they're burnt out, and what do we have to teach them how to? I sat on my volume controller, so I was like, what's going on? Sorry about that? But yeah, so then you know, we need to give them resilience training, and we need to give them mental health training. And it's just like, wait a minute, pause, what are the conditions that you are creating? And that again is very much on the onus of a leader around how do you regulate your own nervous system, right, because as soon as you enter a room, people are going to be mirroring and feeling whatever you are bringing in. So from your coming in and from a sympathetic perspective. People are going to be catch picking up on that, and that doesn't breed safety. So it's like, let's stop trying to throw a million dollars of money down the toilet, are on training and actually think about what are the conditions we are creating for people to be able to thrive within a business context.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, Tanny, let's let's let's not jump into solution mode.
Speaker 3: Right, So what are some of.
Speaker 5: The things that either leaders and our individuals can do around improving conditions capacity capability?
Speaker 4: Well, I think they could take one from the military here, Paul. You might know this. The best special forces training. In military training is designed to stress sholders. It's designed to break you, but it deliberately has the conditions built in for recovery and build capacity along time alongside the stress to build tolerance. Most corporate environments basically do the first. They break you and they call it development, but they don't really build anything back or change the conditions. So I think that's one way to start thinking about it. I think we talk about serious play, radical curiosity, strategic hope, intelligent optimism, and embedded adaptability. Is capabilities depending on your capacity that really can help you thrive and play in curiosity are some of the most basic, the easiest capabilities to come back online. You can set the conditions for play, especially in a work to place environment, quite easily. It's low stakes risk experiments without any you're playing around, and you can do this in a serious way because play is not a child just left over. Its fundamental part of our emotional system, and it's in pretty much all mammals as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like that, Can I jump in here because this is this is my expertise, sure, sure, so yeah, I think like what I said before around high stakes, like when we create low stakes environments, we're building people's confidence, right and because again, when we were constantly feeling like everything is high stakes, we're not creating those conditions for practice. Like when you think about aviation, for example, pilots are constantly using VR and simulation to learn how to fly a plane because you don't just throw them into a high stakes environment and put them in a plane with people on it. Jump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I fluy helicopters in pretty sharm force and every single with training was all about progressive overload, right, So you do the most basic flighter member our first ever flight anti submaring war. For you do it in the simulator, then you go out and then it's a submarine on the fucking surface traveling straight right, and we then had to drop down and ping and try and track the submarine, and then it's just got more and more complex. But before every flight, we had simulator flights where the instructor would throw in little curveballs for you to deal with and then stop it and talk you through it, so that you learned in the simulator and you develop that capacity that you could then use in the real world. Right, Sorry, I just wanted to throw that in because that is a fundamental part of that training, is that progressive overload to the simulation, make mistakes in the simulator so that you then increase your capacity in the real world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And so you know when we talk about low stakes environment, that is just another word for play. It's another word for experimentation. It's it's just giving opportunities to practice. So that way, when shit does hit the fan, people do have the feeling that they can do it. But we just throw people in the deep end and immediately and expect them to sort of swim instead of sink, and it just it's a feedback loop, that is, so it's a negative feedback loop. It's like I try, I just try to do this thing and it didn't work and I'm incompetent, and then it just this this is self perpetuating thing. And so, you know, from a play perspective, like I've been bringing play into workplaces for the last ten years, and there's so much education that's required because we've learned that play is childish, that it's frivolous, that it's a distraction, that it's a ping pong table in the corner, or a beanbag or two next to a whiteboard, when that's not creating conditions like when we when when we think about it, it's it's a it's a permission piece. Right, So not only do we as individuals have to give ourselves permission to play and see it not as as a frivolity in our lives, because again, when we talk about burnout and achievement syndrome, so much of that is I have so much to do all the time, I couldn't possibly do something fun. I just don't have time for it, you know what I mean. And so we have to find that capacity for permission in ourselves to be able to play. But then from a leadership perspective and a culture perspective, there needs to be this opening of like, yes, you can test something, and you can try something, and you can and you can fail because there's a different aspects of failure. There's intelligent failure where it's actually moving towards innovation, moving towards trying new things. And so when we don't allow this this kind of play space in an organization, which is very much a mindset, it's not necessarily like again bean bags and slippant like slides in the lobby or whatever it is. It's it's cultivating this sense of you can ask card questions and you can test this thing, and you can try something and not get it automatically, and creating these kind of micropractices within organizations where then like a muscle, it's built. And like you were talking about before with the way you were flying helicopters, it's like we grow this level of confidence and competence by having those low stakes opportunities. That way, when things are big, we know we can do it. And so I think this concept of play is so fundamental to the way that we learn, it creates new neural pathways in our brain. It releases dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin, and endorphins. So when it comes to hijacked amygdala's when it comes to overwhelmed, when it comes to fight or flight, the fastest way to bring our nervous system back online is through some sort of playful intervention. And that might just be having a lighthearted conversation. It might be listening to a song. It might be sometimes I talk about even just making a fart noise with your mouth, like as a way to just break this, just break your state, you know what I mean. It's just like just a way to just stop the noise. And so like thinking back to what brought you joy as a child and using that as a kind of compass to find things for you to connect within your adult life. And obviously the way we engage in play is different as children, as we do as adults, but as also as adults, we become these passive consumers of play. It's like I want to sit back and be entertained, and there's no sense of involvement or participation or engagement.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah totally.
Speaker 2: And look at this place into hardiness, right, one of hardiness commitment. One of the big things is being fully engaged in life, right, not a freaking passive consumer of life that lots of people are tony.
Speaker 3: You mentioned that, you know, the fart noise that.
Speaker 2: But one thing that I do with corporate is we've all been in meetings where somebody who just loves the sound of their own voice, right, and also tends to be extroverts like me and you, Dana, who tends to talk while we're thinking, Dara, Dara. Extroverts often talk while they're thinking, right, and so they overtalk. But one thing I do with teams is just if somebody's going to have a word like jelly fish, we just go jellyfish and then it's like, yeah, you're talking, but it's a nice way of going, Hey, can we just bring this back on to the topic, right, So throwing in some of those little things, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I'll say jellyfish, latonic and talk now I just play play is my jam? So I had to I had to swoop.
Speaker 4: In my if we're just come quote cop quote excellent.
Speaker 2: So so, so, what what have you got to add to this to what to what Dara was talking about?
Speaker 4: There about playing curiosity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or or about the you mentioned playing curiosity, And I think there was another couple that I didn't get to write down.
Speaker 4: H Yes, strategic hope, intelligent optimism, and then embedded embedded adaptability. And I think from an evolutionary neuroscientific perspective, playing curiosity or and adaptability or sort of more ancient. Whereas hope and intelligent optimism are cognitively expensive, they're more sort of recently evolved, and they require the prefrontal cortex to be online, and current conditions and stress and high stakes environments take the prefrontal cortex offline. And so hope is a really interesting one. I like Charles Snyder Hope's theory. So really to develop hope, it's not naive hope and just be like, oh, I believe.
Speaker 3: That you know.
Speaker 4: Aunky dory. It's about choosing goals and milestones that you can accomplish in actually understanding that working hard towards a goal and succeeding can build and foster hope. And it really has two components. One is agency, it's a belief that you can actually influence outcomes by your actions, and the other layers what they call pathways thinking. It's the ability to generate routes, goals, and ways forward that are accessible learned. Helplessness really demonstrates that repeated experiences of uncontrollability Welcome to the world in twenty twenty six can really permanently suppress both of those. So it's a nervous system that we really need to get back online. We call hope as a verb, not a hashtag. Hope is built, it's not found. And I think intelligent optimism is another one. It's the most counter evolutionary capability of the five. Our default wiring really runs against it. We got negativity bias which really kept our ancestors alive. I mean, the Savannah didn't reward optimists. It ate so cultivating intelligent optimism, it's not returning to a natural state. It's really a cognitive achievement that runs against evolved defaults, and I think it can really help the right conditions and back to I think in a way to tune your infermation diet to foster your own intelligent optimism. I think long form reading that sustained dopamine hits as opposed to the most information out there is junk food. The equivalent of corn syrup and jelly babies, because it's that short spike and the quick crash. So we need solid, wholesome logallycemic index, information and knowledge and solutions that really can feed us and keep that those good chemicals flowing. Yeah, because I think we need hope and intelligent optimism to really break out of this overwhelmed, burnt out and high stakes environment.
Speaker 3: That's what I would say about that.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you mentioned those because hope and optimism are two critical components of hardiness, right, but they a people who regularly practice gratitude have got more whole and optimism.
Speaker 3: The research is pretty clear on this. And and and also I'll throw it to you.
Speaker 2: That I think you're going to like it if you haven't already heard of it is the stock Deal paradox that that you know came out of the Hanoi Hilton in Vietnam, and and Jim stock Deal's whole idea that you need to retain the faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of your circumstances, and at the same time you have to confront the most brutal aspects of your reality, whatever they.
Speaker 1: Might be, so you know's the messarch for meaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, totally, and and and the whole the whole thing is that negative thinking is clearly not helpful under stress. But neither is that polyanna optimism, right, we need that realistic optimism.
Speaker 3: I think you use a different chart intelligent.
Speaker 2: Optimism that that that kind of has the balance of those things, but again comes into your your skills, like regularly practicing gratitude can increase hope and optimism. And I'm sure there's there's there's other things, you know, like cognitive reframing techniques, looking for the silver lining, right rather than.
Speaker 3: Lamenting on the bad shit. I think there's there's a heape of things that.
Speaker 2: People can do to retrain their brain really well we talked about Sorry.
Speaker 4: Oh that's back to your point on philosophy. I think philosophy has its place because it's thinking about your thinking, and that brings about metacognition, and it shows you the way it allows you to let thoughts pass you by and actually, do you understand you're, for lack of a better way, your operating system and your neural architecture and your thoughts. So I think that that's a way that's a fundamental metacognitive way to get out of a lot of the clusterfuck that we find ourselves in. So philosophy has its place. But my one of my favorite teachers, the philosophy teacher, said, you studied philosophy for twenty years and the only thing you learned to do was just.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 4: So I don't not too much philosophy.
Speaker 3: Now, you just cut out there, China.
Speaker 2: For me, you study philosophy for twenty years and the only thing you learned was.
Speaker 4: What, oh to stop? I think you're steadly looking at philosophy and you're thinking about your own thinking all the time.
Speaker 3: Too much masturbation to master. Gee, you guys have got some cracking turning free.
Speaker 2: For me, it's about applied philosophy right, which I think his stoics were very big on, is how how do you actually bring it into.
Speaker 3: The real world rather than you know, just pontificating about shit.
Speaker 1: So just can I we make a quick comment about going back to the kind of the idea like gratitude and philosophizing, we have something called playful assumption awareness, and so how much are we actually challenging our assumptions that we're making about ourselves in the world and when we can kind of approach our assumptions in a way where and again that goes back into bias and our kind of evolutionary hangovers. That is something that we deep dive into the book or from a science communication perspective, under standing the way that our brain works. We make a joke like have brunch with your brain, take your take your mind out for a meal. Like, the more we can understand the way our brain like is actually wired, the more we can work with it instead of against it. And so you know, this playful assumption awareness is like have a play with what you're assuming, you know. And and again, cultivating that sense of curiosity means that you're kind of questioning things of the things that you believe. And it's like that early programming piece that we talked about in achievement syndrome. It's like, are the things that I believe in actually mine? Do I?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 1: You know? Are they programmed from my childhood, from my parents, from my culture, from whatever it is? And just you know, when when we feel like kind of in this stuckness in our lives, we can start to excavate a little bit more into our own you know, our own kind of maze of our minds and and and and start to say and and be again that difference between interest and judgment versus genuine curiosity, like you know, I'm doing this thing, is this actually helping me? And and what else can I be doing? And kind of taking those that kind of playful assumption awareness and then flipping it on its head and saying, well, what if this assumption wasn't true? What would be different for me?
Speaker 2: And I think that's hugely important, and you should challenge. The assumptions that you hold the most dearly are the ones that you should poke the strongest stright, because often these things come from our childooes. But if you've had adverse childhood experiences, you have assumptions, beliefs, patterns, behaviors that may have served you well as a caged to protect you, that are now fucking your life up.
Speaker 3: And we've got to do an examination.
Speaker 1: I mean, we talk about the Immunity to Change Framework, which is amazing framework from Harvard University based on Robert Keegan and Lisa Lahe around thirty years of adult development research, and it really looks at this psychological tension that exists within us around I don't want to die, but I also want to grow, and just constantly having that internal tension of like this risk aversion is I don't want to look silly or fail or do the wrong thing or looking competent, but I also want to like learn things and grow and evolve. And so when we have this internal tension, and that's why change is so difficult, because it really pushes up against our identity. It pushes up against this internal framing of I need to be safe and this change like it's uncertain and I don't know what to do, but I also really want to grow. And so it's not laziness when we try and change something about ourselves. It's just because we're actually trying to put our foot on the gas and the break at the same time, and that doesn't work. And that's where this kind of assumption piece comes in. It's like, what are the behaviors that I'm doing or not doing that are stopping me from being this kind of better version of myself or more aware version of myself. What are my fears and worries that sit below those behaviors, and then what am I assuming about everything around that? And like we talked about before flipping it on its head and just saying like, what if this wasn't true, what would I be doing differently? And again having and then setting yourself a small experiment. All right, well, if this wasn't true, I can go and give it a little ten, get that positive feedback, and then start to make those little micro changes. And that's how I think we can create a better way forward for ourselves, instead of going, I need to change everything. My information diet is shit based on what Tane said, and I'm not, you know, like I'm not doing this enough and I'm doing that and just like berating ourselves instead of going just all right, let's get curious. Let's be a detective. What's going on here?
Speaker 2: I like to say, be your own scientist, right, just freaking run experiments, just just test hypothesis.
Speaker 3: You've got to do that.
Speaker 2: So guys, sorry, we are out of time because you've got to go and I've got to go.
Speaker 3: And this has been awesome. I love the conversation.
Speaker 2: There's so much cool shit in there, and some of your turns to free is are brilliant, absolutely brilliant work.
Speaker 3: Can people go?
Speaker 2: So the book is called Full Stack Human Work, and they obviously available Amazon and everywhere, but website resources. How do they book you guys if they somebody's listening to this and think, fucking hell, my business needs an overhaul from these guys, or where can they do it?
Speaker 3: Where do they go?
Speaker 4: The book's website is full stackhumanbook dot com. You can read me and dere to book at future Crunch, which is the organization that I founded and run and also my business to I was just I was just as I was saying, Culture Hero as you pointed it out, but culture here is amazing learning design. There is Australia's leading playwork specialists. So you can check us out at culture Hero, future Crunch and full Stack humanbook dot com.
Speaker 1: And if you're in Melbourne on the twenty seventh of March, we're hosting our book launch event which is going to be nothing like any book launch you've ever been to. So you can also find us both on LinkedIn and if you want to jump on and come and celebrate what it means to be a full stack human at our book launch on the twenty seventh of March in Melbourne. We would love to share the details with that for that.
Speaker 2: Shit you get it my diary, What time should that it's thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it starts at five thirty. We're having a pre stack event at a burger joint because Tana and I love burgers in their stacks. And then it kicks off at six thirty. It's in Fitzroy.
Speaker 3: Cold might actually I'm I'm flying back from Hamilton.
Speaker 2: Did you say cott is a fancy dress.
Speaker 4: Yes, you can. We'll have costume changes, live music and we'll run some little micro experiences.
Speaker 3: Very cold, very cool.
Speaker 2: So guys, if you're in Melbourne twenty seven to March in Fitzroy, whereabouts do you know you at the venue.
Speaker 1: Or to be Yeah, it's a five easy street, but it is. It is ticketed because it is going to be amazing and everyone. You can produce a book there or bring your book for us to sign. But yeah, you can jump on either of our LinkedIn's or our website and you'll be able to find the details there.
Speaker 3: Awesome, very cool, guys. This has been it's been great.
Speaker 2: It's been very educational and amusing at the same time. And I've got a few nice little turns to prize. I'm going to steal that I identify as an Australia and my program. So yeah, nah, pretty absolutely like you stole it.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: It'd be great, thank you very much, and I look forward to doing a deep dive into the book and I'm going to see if i can get along to.
Speaker 3: The book launch.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you in the background, it's me, Yes.
Speaker 4: That would be amazing. I would be very grateful for that.
Speaker 1: I would love you to be a smurf please.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks guys, thank you, thank you. If you can so as