Speaker 1: Apogee Production. Welcome to the Sheep Risers Podcast. I'm Ashy and I'm Tiana.
Speaker 2: This podcast is about female empowerment and encouraging you to be your biggest, boldest, and most authentic version of yourself.
Speaker 1: We help you shed the shame, grow to a new level. We're gonna laugh, cry, and talk about the topics everyone else is too afraid to talk about.
Speaker 2: Get ready for your next level of self.
Speaker 1: Panic attacks continued on four years. I'm trying to remember the last one I had over five years ago, but I went through a couple of year period where they were so bad. I used to be on the floor physically pulling my hair out, scratching my whole body, screaming like like I could not breathe, and Steve would just like hold me to try and stop me from like calming myself and to try to get me to calm down. And sometimes I wanted him to hold me, and other times I would like resist and want to like not be touched, but he was so worried, like of me hurting myself, and I felt so out of control, and I didn't speak to anyone about this. I was so embarrassed because no one talks about having these big episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: A time where the trolling was really bad online. I was just not coping with life. And that's when I hired a life coach, and they really helped give me tools and strategies to help. When I start to feel you can feel it coming on. You can feel the shortness of of your breath, you can feel the sweating. You might get shaky, you can't think straight, You're so focused on these thoughts. It just literally consumed you. So they gave me tools and strategies so when I can start to feel those triggers and signs come on, that I can get a hold of them before they get a hold of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, continuing on over the last couple of years, Like I would say, I am far from an anxious person now, which is really cool to reflect back on. Takes me a lot to get anxious, and even if I get anxious thoughts, I'm very quick to like coach myself, you saw me the other day when something happened, put my phone down. I was like literally said to myself in my head, like you're safe, Tiger's not attacking you. You're okay. Like I had to like, calm myself down. Doesn't mean that I wasn't right or I wasn't upset, but I have to coach myself so if I don't, I can see myself spiraling. Yeah. So the longer that I've worked on myself and I've got these tools and strategies that have proven to work for me, it's just gotten less and less and less. So it's really cool to be in a phase just where I'm at right now that I can take care of myself and not allow it to get that bad. And one thing that really struck me was when the doctor said to me, you have depression and you have an anxiety disorder. That became my identity. That's who I was. If you had asked who's actually, I'll be like, oh, I'm depressed at the moment and I have anxiety, so you probably won't want to hang out with me. And I was like isolate as well. That was who I was. Whereas now, if I ever feel I'm in a lower state, and I know everyone's situation is different, I definitely believe in depression and anxiety being a disorder for sure, But now that I've worked through all of that, I will say instead of saying I have anxiety or I feel like I'm going to have an anxiety attack, I was like, I'm having anxious thoughts because I'm worried about the future. Now. I want to talk about that with whoever, or sit with myself or just regulate myself so I can calm my nervous system and then see what I need to do. Yeah, you know, and if I ever feel myself getting depressed thoughts, it's because I'm going back in my past. I'm thinking about what's happened, and I'm going back to my victim or I'm replaying situations in my head. And that's when I'll also book sessions with a coach too. If there's more things I need to talk about, I'll get it out and I'll work through it. So that's kind of been my journey with it. And it was really really hard, awful hard, So she would I felt like I had no one to talk about it with. I was so embarrassed, so embarrassed, and I remember telling one of my girlfriends and her reaction just shut me off even more. Not that she did anything wrong, but she was like, holy shit, she had a big reaction. It was a big reaction. It wasn't like I get it here for you. It was like, oh my god, you pull your hair. Yeah. I was like yeah, and like scratch myself. She's like, oh my god. I was wondering what these marks were in your arms from oh fuck, okay, what do you do about those? Oh? I was like, I'm never telling anyone ever. I was like, I am alone in this. I've never heard anyone talk about this, So I just have to hide this and be ashamed of it. And even Steve I was so embarrassed, and I felt so bad that he had to be there to witness all of that.
Speaker 2: That was awful. That was gonna be my next question. I was just about to say, how is it for you to be seen in that by Steve?
Speaker 1: I mean now, in hindsight, I'm like, Wow, he has loved me at my absolute worst. Yeah, he has seen me like no one has ever seen me before, my most roorst, most vulnerable, awful moments to reflect on, and he just held me in all of it, not once that he put me down or anything. He would always speak to me after about it and say like, I get really worried and scared when you get like that. I hate seeing you do that to yourself. I would do anything for you not to do that. Yeah, if we would like be in a heated argument, sometimes I would get like that. And I don't think that was nice for him either, because then it would distract what we actually needed to talk about. So then it would make him scared to bring up that topic again in case I got really worked up, I see, And once he highlighted that, I was like, oh, yeah, I don't want to do that, because how is he ever going to feel safe to come to me and open up this conversation. He's just going to have to sweep everything in case I have an anxiety attack, And I was like, I don't want my relationship to be like that. So that was a really big wake up call and just more motivation for me to want to focus my nervous system regulation daily, not just when it gets bad, not when I'm getting my period, not when life gets hard. Day to day. I worry about how much water I drink, if I'm getting enough nutrients, if I'm taking my supplements. Where's my nervous system at, where's my battery at? Do I need to plug in? If I need to plug out from everyone? What do I need right now to keep myself in the best state to be able to handle and manage whatever I need to handle and manage, because life's never going to be like this. It's always up and down. So so many learnings that have come so far, But I would never go on medication again. Personally for myself, I didn't find it helped me at all. It just numbed me. But short term and long term I don't think that benefited me. Yeah, Whereas I do know some people that need to be on it and are on it and it's made them feel a lot better and it's stopped them having suicidal thoughts and they're able to live their life and be peaceful. And I'm like, awesome, Yeah that works for you. Great. So that's why we said it start. It's not a one size fits all. But for me personally, I didn't feel the medication that I was put on was good for me. Yeah. I don't want to ever numb out. I want to feel the depth of the pain because that represents how much I loved something or someone. You know, when I'm feeling something, it's because I care about it so much. If I'm numbed or don't give a shit about something, and I don't give a shit about it, but if I'm feeling it, because it shows how much I care, and I'm a very caring person, you know, So I don't ever want to numb any of that out. I kind of welcome that in now because I feel like I can hold it. Oh, I love that. Yeah, I feel like we should just end the episode there, mic drop. No, I want to hear yours.
Speaker 2: No, everything you just said, you just had. I was thinking as you're talking just towards the end, and I was like, fuck, I'm so sucked into, like just hearing this story and your experience in this.
Speaker 1: I think I've shared that with you before, having not to this depth.
Speaker 2: No, we've spoken about panic attacks for sure. Yeah, that's really incredible. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's been a long journey, but I'm definitely proud to be at the other side, that's for sure, and so stoked that I can show my kids how to manage life without it getting that bad. Yeah, you know your journey, tell me all about yours.
Speaker 2: Oh, my journey was more around the time where I had, like the sex tape happened. So when that kind of experience happened. It was like the first trigger of experiencing panic attacks for me. So in that time, I was in a very low state mentally though, So I was not in a good way mentally. I was struggling. I had suicidal thoughts. I felt quite depressed. I think I labeled myself this is like high functioning anxiety or like high functioning depression. Like that's how I saw myself in that point, because I was feeling all these things behind closed doors, but on the forefront, it looked like I was doing so much.
Speaker 1: You could still functioning, do everything you needed to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was like my heart was aching and like my thoughts were eating away at me. And I just remember when that first happened, having an almost panic attack. It wasn't like a bull on panic attack, but it was like enough that like I couldn't regulate myself for a few hours, Like I was in that state of like I don't know what to do, and I don't know who to call, and I don't know who can help me. It was like when I just found out about the video being released, and I was sitting in the bottom of my shower and I was like just so overwhelmed emotionally, like I was crying and I was shaking, and like my whole body was responding, but I didn't know how to stop it. And it was just like that for like literally like a couple of hours, and I was like, there's nothing that I know how to do or how to stop this because I'd never experienced it before. My nervous system was so dysregulated, my breath was so short, and I just I couldn't turn twenty one, didn't feel like I could turn twenty body, didn't have anybody necessarily to call to be like, hey, this is what's happening. I was just like, this is something that like I should be shameful of, Like I shouldn't be experiencing this. And so after that, I kind of fell into party and drugs and that sort of stuff to cope, to cope, yeah, to like numb myself out, and to kind of get the confidence back that I had lost when I was sober. So through that experience, it was just me, you know, this care free version of myself came out when I was drinking. But then what the aftermath of that was more panic attacks, was me coming down for two weeks at a time and just being in a fucking absolute mess of a state mentally in that place, and then that leading to panic attacks, and so it would become like more freaking. It was only like over a couple of month period when I was in like a really hectic party stage, it was like it would bring it on more. I remember every single time feeling like I couldn't share it with anybody because I was just I felt so isolated in there isn't it. I felt like no one could relate to what I was going through. So I didn't know how to explain how I was feeling and what it was doing to me and my mind, my nervous system. Like at the time, I didn't have the words. I didn't know how to describe that or explain that.
Speaker 1: Did you ever go on medication? Did your doctor ever say to no?
Speaker 2: So I didn't go on medication. But my family just have always kind of just been more natural, holistic side of things sort of things. So it wasn't really my first option. I had considered it at one point, but I just for me, I was like, no, it's just not an option. So I kind of just I got stuck in it for a while. I got stuck in my own mindset. I really felt like a victim in that point in my life as well, because I felt sorry for myself that I had to go through that experience, and then with the anxiety that had come from that of like social anxiety and not wanting to meet new people, and also yeah, just feeling like I'd gotten myself into this situation that I couldn't get myself out of, and I was just like, life is shit, you know, life is shit.
Speaker 1: This is not fun.
Speaker 2: I feel dull. I feel like a shell of a human of myself. And it was like the lights are on, but no one's home. It's like I'm knocking and no one there. And that's how it felt. It was like an empty body. It felt like that for a little while. But yeah, so I think after that I really leant into training and walking, and I think that's why health is such a huge part of my journey now because it was a thing that really helped me get out of really hard times. And whilst I didn't choose at the time to go on medication, and that wasn't the route that I wanted to go down. The immediate thing that I wanted to do was like, go find a psychologist, because I was like, well, it's clear to me, and it had been like six months or so or however long, and I was like, it's clear to me that I can't get myself out of this and I don't have the tools and resources to know how. And I was like, but I know that I want more for myself. I recognize that right now I feel really stuck and I feel stagnant and I feel like a victim. But I don't know what steps to take. I can't see not even the next step out of this. So it was like I need someone with outside context who can kind of help pull me or at least guide me in the direction of like where to go. And I was so desperate for that, Like I was like, I don't fucking care who gives it to me. Just someone helped me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And then I went to a psychologist. I just felt like judged and shamed and like what I was going through wasn't a big enough deal or problem because she'd probably dealt with people who were worse. Could have been a projection. But that's how I left feeling. And then I just hired a life coach and I stayed with her for like three four years and never looked back. That was the trajectory of changing my life.
Speaker 1: And what was really.
Speaker 2: Helpful for me was to do this self inquiry work, but also to not label myself. Like what you said about the identity thing, I would really cling on to things like that, so I'd be like, oh my god, I've got fucking high functioning anxiety or I've got depression, and then like I would run with that, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Then it limits you, hey, because you feel like you can't do anythingcause well I've got depressions. How can I do that?
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I did. Yeah, I was like, well, I'm depressed because i just had X y Z happen. I'm not allowed to be happy. I'm not allowed to experience things. I'm not allowed to go after my dreams. I'm not allowed to do any of these things because someone would depression doesn't do that. Yes, as humans, we like to label ourselves, and not in a bad way, but because we like to feel like we belong.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So what I've seen, even as a coach myself, is that we will tend to label ourselves and put ourselves into categories because we go well at least I know I belong here and it feels certain. That makes me feel comfortable. But what I've also noticed is that it can be unproductive as well, And so at least again for me in my own journey, it was unproductive for me to do that. So now what I teach for my clients is to not label themselves at all. Like, if they come in with labels, I'm like, that can be true, but we're not going to use the language. We're just going to cut the language out and we're going to focus on XYZ and then we'll see how we go in twelve weeks time. Yeah. Yeah. It was a lot of mindset reprogramming, nervous system regulation, reprogramming, the stories and beliefs that I had about myself of who I was and what I get to have, and a lot of transformation of how I really saw myself instead of like boxing myself into the way that I was behaving or how my nervous system was reacting to so in situations or even the thoughts that I was having in my mind that were damaging and taking myself down like a really bad path, it was retraining myself to behave in a different way. You know, to think different thoughts, to choose different behavior, to acknowledge the behavior that I was choosing, and go Okay, what didn't work here, what ended up with a negative result, what ended up with a negative consequence, what ended up with a positive one, and then categorizing those and going Okay, this is the direction that I actually want to go in and implementing those behaviors whilst doing the mindset work on top of that, and also just being really fucking gentle with myself. Yeah, you know, so letting go of the part of me that punishes myself. I'm still guilty of that today, Like I still can clock the parts of a human Yeah, yeah, I have to clock that. That's been a huge thing for me, especially with the sex tape, you know, and experiences similar to that. I've punished myself a lot for behaviors that I've done, which has kept me in that mental state. It's kept me in my own mental prison. Has it allowed me to get out, hasn't allowed me to think differently? So it's looking at the ways where I was keeping myself in that box that I didn't want to be in and going okay, how am I limiting myself from growing beyond this place and then constantly just referring back to that, Okay, cool, what's not working? How am I limiting myself? What's not working? What can I do better? And just constantly reiterating that process. You know, when I look back at like the person I was at one point, I really didn't love who I was. I wasn't proud of myself. I didn't think I was a valuable, contributing member of society, like there were so many things, you know, and so to go from that version of myself to who I am today, it's the wide contrast of a different version of myself, you know, and it does takes a lot of conscious effort to get there, but it's so rewarding. And no matter how stuck that you might feel that you are right now, there is always light at the end of the time.
Speaker 1: And whether you're on medication or not, or whether you're thinking about going on medication or not. This is for everyone that's feeling in a low state and going through stuff. You cannot underestimate the power of taking care of your body.