Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see aside of life the average person is never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years, I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talked to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. In the second part of my chat with former DA agent Steve Murphy, we talk about how Pablo Escobar was tracked down and killed in a violent shoetout. We talk about the impact the investigation had on Steve and his partner Javier, and the Columbian police who put their lives on the line to restore peace to their country. We also talk about his experience in the investigation being portrayed in the hugely popular TV series Narcos. It's a fascinating chat. Steve, welcome back to part two. If I catch killers. Thank you, Let's continue this wild story. And yeah, no wonder they made a TV series out of this investigation, and we're going to talk about Narcos TV series and it's a great series, I've got to say on Netflix. But before we do, there's a bit of work to do before you start swamping round as the person that's portrayed on the TV series we've talked about Pablo Escobar, is there one thing that defines him, like how ruthless he was? You talk in part one that he didn't have a conscience and that he could just kill without a second thought. Is there one thing that demonstrates to the listeners what was the evilness or something that typified the evilness of the man.
Speaker 2: He was in his prison, this custom built prison, the cathedral, and they're actually he's on the phone with his wife talking and we're, you know, we're intercepting the phone calls, and he's talking about how much he loves her and how much he misses her and how are the kids and all that, and in the background you can hear a guy screaming he's being tortured, you know, and eventually his wife said, what is that noise? And he's like, hold on a minute. He covers up the you know, I assume he cover up the receiver, and you can hear him say cover his mouth, shut him up, and then he gets real quiet, so you know, they killed the guy. And then he's just right back on a yeah. Well, you know, I'll come and see you guys soon, and you know, you guys have to come to visit me, and just you know, like nothing happened.
Speaker 1: Just that set no conscience whatsoever.
Speaker 2: The indiscriminate car bombs that were just he set a car bomb off on fifteenth Street in Bogata one time, in the northern part of the city. And right where that bomb went off as a mall and it was the whole the size of a city block, and the whole front of the mall was glass. So when that bomb went off, you know what happened to the glass. It happened to be a time when moms were there with their school aged children getting school supplies. So Homy and I we were spawn down there. We get a phone call about it, We take off and go down there, you can't get very close. You can see the black smoke from where the bomb went off, but you can't get very close because traffic just bogs down. So we park and we get out, and we were walking in and as you get closer, you start hearing the sounds associated with tragedy, you know, the screams and the crying and the begging and all that kind of stuff. And then you get closer and you actually start seeing body parts laying around. And then you get up to the scene and you see the firemen and the police officers carrying the lifeless bodies of little children who just simply were in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's probably the most horrific thing I saw while we were down there. Just it's there's there's no way you can justify something like that.
Speaker 1: That's the results of these actions. What were the circumstances with the luxury self designed prison that he was resulting in? What were the circumstances of him escaping from the How did that come about?
Speaker 2: We got this from an individual who eventually became an informative ours and eventually became of the biggest drug dealer in Columbia, And who is in prison here in the United States now. So he was the bodyguard for one of Pablo's childhood friends, a guy named Kiko Mankada. Qiko and Pablo grew up together. He was one of the primary lieutenants. And there was another guy named Fernando Galliano. Well, when Pablo went into prison, he imposed attacks or war tax on all the other drug draftickers, and he said, you know, look, I've fronted myself out for the good of all of you. I've embarrassed myself. I'm in prison now, you know, country club prison. He said, So what's going to happ happen is every load that you send up, I get half of it, or you pay me four hundred thousand dollars cash. Okay. So then they were doing it well. After a while they got tired of doing it. Well. One day hits the carrios going out and they find a cave that there's this money US dollars that have been shrink wrapped and hidden in a cave, and the shrink wrap has come loose, and so air and moisture has been getting in there, and all this money is rotting away. And we've heard this anywhere from ten million to twenty three million dollars. So they bring it in. They show Pabula like, look, this is Kiko and Fernando's money, and they're holding out on you. You know, here you are fronting yourself out and you're not making all the billions that you were before because you've taken a stance against the government. You're trying to do good for everybody else. And they get him all fired up. So he has somebody make phone calls and they call the Galliano's and they call him Moncadas and said, hey, come on up to the prison. We're going to have a barbecue. No business discussed. We're just gonna have good time. Bring some hookers in and we'll have some mariachis. Come men or whatever. No need to bring security details. Everything's good. So they show up. Well Kiko, according to our source, Kiko comes walking in and he sees the money there on the floor, and he looks at Pablo and sees a look on his face and he starts saying, Pablo, that's not what you think it is. We're not holding out on you. That's money that's been buried for a long time. Quite honestly, we had forgotten about it. And if you think about it. For moisture and water to get in there, to start writing away paper. That doesn't happen in a few days, I mean that takes months and months and months of time. So the Cicarios are egging Pablo on he he cheated you, Pablo, kill him. You need to kill these two, and so eventually they go back and forth, and Pablo gets so incensed that he grabs a stick and he kills his childhood best friend, Kiko Moncada, beats him to death. Then the Ccarios they jump on Fernando Galliano. They do the same to him. Then they started cutting parts of their bodies off and sending them to their families and saying, you owe me this, You owe me that you know, and if you want, everyone want to see him again, and this is what you got to do. You know, the families didn't know they were already dead. Well, eventually word got out to us about it through this informant, and we went to our bosses and the ambassador, and eventually it went to the President of Columbia, and the message was do something about this. This is ridiculous. This is embarrassing to your country. It's embarrassing to your administration, you've got to do something. So they come up with an idea that they're going to tell Pablo, Okay, we're going to temporarily move you to a different prison so we can reinforce your prison to make it more secure for you. And it's all a ruse. Well, they send the deputy Justice minister up there. This kid, Mendoza is like twenty five years old. He goes up with a Columbian colonel, military colonel to take like twenty troops up there. Get to the gate outside. Now, remember who's paying the guards on inside the gate, So they're not.
Speaker 1: Loyal to the guts, they loyalty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the deputy Justice miner looks over the colonel says, colonel, go get him. Or el said, resident, tell me, he didn't tell me to go in there. He told you to go, and I'm not going in there. You go get him. So this young guy twenty five years old goes in there. Well, of course the Sagario is immediately taking hostage and they're slapping him around and they're trying to get Pablo Pablo kill him. This is the message from the president, they don't respect you and all that stuff. Well, Pablo tells the Justice minister, get the president on the phone. Well, he's calling. Before the president would take Pablo's calls, believe it or not, but this time nobody's answering the phone. So Pablo kind of sees the writing on the ball. They realize that they don't have enough troops up there to assault the prison, so now they send an elite group of military folks called the Copas, and they go in and they assault the prison, big firefight. Not a single good guy was wounded that day, believe it or not. And the deputy Justice Minister, they were able to get him out unscathed, which is just a miracle. Some of the guards were killed, Pablo's guards. A lot of cacarios were able to escape, not all of them. Some of them chose to stay in the prison. So recently, Jama had done some work for one of the Spanish speaking stations down to Columbia about the Escobar story, and in exchange, they had access to these photographs. So the press had shown up at the prison because you know, the words out that something's going on up there at the cathedral, and this one photographer he got up there, he saw everybody, you know, all the other presses there, worldwide press, and so he goes around and he somehow knows how to get around to the backside of the prison and he's walking in and here comes Pablo and some of his henchmen and the guy the story is the cameraman. He laid his cameras down and put his hands up. He says, Pablo, Pablo, please don't kill me. You know, I went to this front gate. My producers told me to go get pictures. It's crowded up there. I thought I'd just come around and see what's happening. Prob washed to get your camera, take your camera and take pictures of me. I'm a dead man walking, so that camera and held onto those pictures. He died recently and his family gave him to this. I think he was a Univision Univision and so because of the work Hobbier had done with them, they gave us license to use these pictures. So we now have three photographs that this camera took of Pablo, and I think it's four of his henchmen making their escape, and you can see some of them have guns, you know, pistols tucked in their waistband. It's not like they're running, you know, scared, they're just they're just getting away. Well, you know, I'm always I've always wondered if you know there wasn't some green passed hands along the way, because how do you escape from the prison surrounded? How do you escape?
Speaker 1: And if you've got an elite team coming in and taking the Zakarias out, how they go to why? But well, it's yeah, if it didn't happen, you have to invent it. It's crazy. He he gets out that. So the tuns you your world upside down for the next eighteen months because you and Javier are asked to be stationed down in Medeleine, and you worked with a lot of different sections, and I know you pay a lot of tribute to the Colombian National Police absolutely, and the courage of those guys and the search block. This is a quote from your book when he was on the run, just to give you a sense of what happened after he escaped. Between the twenty second of July nineteen ninety two, when Escobar escaped and mid March nineteen ninety three, one hundred and thirty six police officers had been killed in the line of duty by Escobar's hitmen. So that's one hundred and thirty six police I'm talking about. The death tolls throughout the country had also increased. Columbia had seen it steadly this year, with nearly twenty nine thousand homicides reported in nineteen ninety two, compared to twenty five thy one hundred and ten for the previous year. In Medelline and Bogata, one hundred and twelve Savilians had died from random car bomb attacks and four hundred twenty seven had been injured. It's just on the sky that's hired to comprehend, and that that's in that passage of time when he was on the run, when you guys were part of the team, uh tas we're tracking him down.
Speaker 2: It was it's it's I mean, I'm sure it's the same in Australia. If an Australian police officer is killed in the line of duty. Here in the United States, we stop everything. Everybody stops to contribute to the case to get that guy. When here you're talking about over one hundred and thirty police officers and what about a six or seven month period were murdered. Pablo put a bounty on him of one hundred dollars each. I mean, that was a police officer's life was one hundred bucks. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And that was that was just anyone could collect that bounty. Just take take out a call there was.
Speaker 2: Javier was with We worked with a very elite unit of Plumbing National Police officers and they got to call one night that one of the sacarios was at this nightclub and they didn't have enough body. So Hovier went along with them and h this kid's fifteen years old. He's out on the dance floor with his girlfriend. They go out and grab He's got a gun in his waistband. They wrestle him, he fights, They get him down the floor, get him cuffed up, and take him out. Well, this kid talks, you know, he doesn't know he's not supposed to talk. He said, he had already killed I think it was something like ten police officers. And how you're asking, he said, how do you do this? He said, Well, you just you know, these uniform guys they're walking the streets and they stop and talk to each other or stop to talk to people in the street, and you just walk up behind him and shoot him in the back of the head. He said, the most I've killed him one day was three and then you go to an address and you tell him, and you know, they give you one hundred dollars for each cop that you've killed. And HWY said, what do you do with the money? He said, well, most of it I give to my mom because she had you know, she was one of those people living on the edge of a trash dump. And he said, I keep enough money for myself. I don't have a nice pair of tennis shoes, nice pair of jeans, and I need beer money. But everything else, she gets everything else. And I thought, just no remorse whatsoever. But or a woman that's brave enough to put a uniform on and your life is worth one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you guys had a lot of respect for the courage that they had. What about yourself and Javier, like I read somewhere or that you had a bounty on you for three hundred thousand with the greatest respect, you would sort of stand out in Columbia and people would know who you are. So how how did you feel with what was going on?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean, we're cops. You don't show fear, but you know, when you first find out about it, it's like, that's all I'm worthing more than three hundred thousand dollars. But the truth is, it's very disconcerting to start with. It's like, holy cow, this guy's got a bounty on me. And you're right. I mean, my family, my grandmother immigrated from England. My dad's family immigrated from Ireland. I'm about as white as you get. I don't blend into it Hispanic country. You know. I'm six to two, I have light colored eyes. I used to have brown colored hair. I just kind of stick out.
Speaker 1: But the gring Gay and that they would have known that you guys would like the intel and you couldn't trust everyone that was involved in the investigation, so they would have very much known who you guys were.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean, we were going out on so back of a second, the embassy told us, the ambassadors, I don't want you guys going out in the field. You stay at the police base. Well that's we can't do our job if we do stay beneck in the back. And you know, we had we had the US Navy Seal Team six was there with us. We had the US Armies Delta FORCET. They were there with us. Of course, the CIA's in there. They're coming and going as they want. The military guys or under the same orders as us. Well, they're military, so they follow orders. We kind of looked at them as strong suggestions instead of orders. And so I mean, just just to match, You're still on the job there and in uh Australia, and I come to your country, and I tell you, Gary, I heard there's Pablo Escobars down there at the pub. Man, go see if he's down there. I'm gonna get a couple of coffee and come back and tell me what you find. What are you gonna tell me? I know what you're gonna tell me that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one, I understand, but I like the way it's just a suggestion that wasn't an order. But I'm sorry, I'm misunderstood.
Speaker 2: But uh well, But but what that led to is we were going out on operations every day with with this unit that we worked with Dehean was the name of the unit. And we're going out on the Huey gunships doing raids on ranches, and we're going out and doing patrols in the mountains with the Columbia National Police and we're doing surveillance in the city, and we're paying informants and we're meeting snitches. We had a one eight hundred tip line set up offering a five million dollar reward for information on Pablo. It was it was exciting. I mean, it's very exciting. There were times, especially if we were in the city, they would they had an armored personnel carrier, and so if we were doing stuff in the city, especially for going over into the barrios where Pablo's you know, he's the hero, they would put me inside the armored car just to protect me a little bit more. But you know, and you had a machine gunner on top. And but then when you know, when it's trying to clean up my language, when the ship hits the fan, you know, you don't run away. You got to stand there and fight.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a big difference from where you started your law enforcement a lot. There was a d A agent that was abducted by a cartel in Mexico, and you think that played a part that the consequences do you want to just explain to the listeners what the circumstances of that was. It was a horrific situation, but the response is probably, you know, protected people down the track. Do you want to explain that those circumstances.
Speaker 2: Gladly Well, that was the case of Kiki or Enrique. Kiki came Marina was our agent's name. This is in nineteen eighty five. He had been stationed. Kiki was a former US marine. He'd been a cop in Glexico, California, before Dea joined EA, did time down on the border, got a volunteer to go to Guandalajara in Mexico. He was actually born in Mexico, so he spoke perfect Spanish. He's down there. He just kicking button, taking names. You know. The problem back then was was these massive marijuana grows, the ones up in the mountains. The quality wasn't as good, but the Mexican traffickers learned about sinsimilia, which is something that American marijuana growers just developed, and it basically they took the seeds out of the plants and it made it a much more potent strain of marijuana. So, through payoffs and so forth, they bought this desert land and they had to drill these massive wells to get water because marijuana grows require a lot of water. So Kiki gets information through an informant, and at one point the government of Mexico would let the United States do flyovers looking for marijuana fields or poppy fields because of Mexican heroin. Well, a new president comes in and he bans all that. So now Kiki's relying on informants, and apparently he had the knack for dealing with informants. He has one that's a pilot. He gets information where there's this massive marijuana grow. I think that one was two hundred acres. They do a couple of flyovers which were illegal, and confirmed it was there, got the Mexican police to go raid the place, and I forget how much it was capable of producing, but two hundred acres of marijuana plants just massive. Well, then as time goes on, he finds out about this other grow. This time it was twenty five hundred acres, two five hundred acres, just massive, and they rated that. I think they said that that field alone was capable of four billion dollars of weed per grow, and I think you could grow it at least twice a year down there. So that led to him, you know, he was ready to rotate out of Guadala horor back to the United States. But these three drug traffickers Raphael carl Countero, Miguel On Hell Felix Gayardo, and the third guy's name was Fan Saic I can't remember his full name. Those are the three guys that started the Guadara Guadalajara cartel in Mexico. So they orchestrated a kidnapp had Kiki came out of the consulate in Guadalajarra to go meet his wife for lunch. They surrounding kidnapp him, taking him to a house. He's torture for over thirty hours. He's actually killed three different times. They've got a doctor there that when the first two times when he died, they would inject adrenaline into his heart to restart his heart so they could kill him again. It's just horrific what they did to Kiki. And they also did the same thing to the pilot I think his name was Zavala. Then you know, of course Dea realizes that Keiki's missing because he didn't show up for wife, his lunch with his wife, and then he done show Homan that night, and so this massive man hunt is underway. The United States starts supplying pressure to the Mexican government. Finally they create they just designate somebody to be a scapegoat and they kill them and throw them out and said, okay, there's the guy killed Kiki and the pilot. Well, the United States knew that wasn't true. So our president back at the time, and I'm not sure we have presidents that have these kind of honas now, but the president back then shut down the border between the United States and Mexico. It took less than one day for the Mexican government come back and say, okay, okay, we're back in. I think it took thirty days before they finally found Kiki's body. Him and the pilot were wrapped up in plastic. Seeing that what the response of the United States was, and it might be the same now because we have a new president. But past administrations would certainly not have gone to those links because the d agent was killed. So if you think about it, the drug traffickers are in business to make money. If you shut down the border, they can't get the product into the United States, where you know, we're the leading consumer country of ill legal narcotics in the world. That's a reputation we truly enjoy having. It's outrageous. But they knew that if I mean we had wire taps, one wire tap, we're Pablo's talking makes reference to the two gringos, and then a short time later he actually mentions the name's Penyon Murphy. That was worse than finding out there's a three hundred thousand dollars bounds in just guys knew your name.
Speaker 1: But then it becomes personal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, so if I think Pablo knew that if he really took us out, they could have killed us numerous times. I mean that we're out on operations, anything could happen. But then you know they're not going to make the money that that's what they're in business for. So that's why we say Kiki's legacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's passed on them. I suppose it gives a sense that there's going to be a reaction that people don't want to coming if something happens to people like yourself. I'm glad that so the response was done because that's the topic response it's needed, right, So what were the strategies got him out of prison? He's creating chios and chaos is a nice way of putting the horrific situation with people being killed, left, frought and center. What were the strategies to bring him down? And the people that you're working with to to yeah, find you.
Speaker 2: Well with the IRO ambassador brought in the Seal Team Sex and the Delta Force guys, the operators, these the Delton Seals guys. They brought in assets that we didn't have access to, so they were able to glean intelligence that we were getting real time intelligence that hey, Pablo's here, Pablo's there. And this is in the first few weeks. I remember we went to a huge church and just searched that in the middle of the night when we finally we were able to get out, get some troops to go and and just you know, we searched for a couple of hours, couldn't find a thing. And you know, the the lower ranking Columbian officers or they're getting tired and they were just want to go back to the barracks and sleep and and I'm not wanting to leave. And Taivea is the same way. We got to keep going, got to keep going, got to keep going, and eventually, you know, the commander of the unit comes over and he's like, look, but we're going, we're going. We can't find it. He's not here, and it's it just over and over. There was times when we hit one cabin and the coffee was still warm in the mug, there was a cigarette and the ashtray still burning, you know. And Pop Poplo was known he liked. He had it this fetish for fancy bathrooms, you know, gold plated fixtures and things like that, you go in these little shannies and and but it had a really nice bathroom. You knew that was Poblo's, you know, one of his places, okay, And he'd always have he'd have a lady in there cooking, and they'd have a young girl in there as the cleaning lady. But more like you know, his personal enjoyment type things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what was the what was the thing that fondly, uh like kated him?
Speaker 2: It was, Well, so Colonel Ugo Martinez is our boss. He's the guy in charge of the blokie de busca the search box what it translates to. And his son is a lieutenant, Lieutenant Ugo Martinez. Well, the lieutenant taught himself how to use radio directional finding equipment. The government of France donated a bunch of vans that had radio directional finding equipment mounted in them, and the algorithm that they used back then was triangulation, which is pretty simple to figure out. You know, Medine's built in a bowl. So you put three vans up on high spots. They shoot the signal out where the three signals intersect. That's where Pablo's phone is coming from. Because it wasn't three G, four G, five G phones like we enjoy today. They were basically radio telephones. If he wanted to he knew we were listening. If he wanted to thwart our efforts to listen to him, all he had to do is change frequency. But the challenge to him was he had to get the new frequency to the people he wanted to talk to. So it wasn't quite as easy to spend that dial. So they get they get the triangulation. They triangulate on the signal. The margin of error back that time could be two three city blocks large. So to refine that, to refine that area down, you send somebody in with holding an antenna out the car window, driving down the street. And that was Lieutenant Martinez. He's he's got a meter in one hand, he's got driver driving him and he's driving down the street. He gets us. He thinks he's found this warehouse, and so they bring the Deheen guys in, they launch an operation. It's an empty warehouse. So, I mean, you know the grief he caught from all the other cops because like, oh, you idiot, you know, I mean, you know how we are.
Speaker 1: You make a mistake, you pay for it, and you ridicule.
Speaker 2: Yes do So he what he did is he found there was a body of water next to the this warehouse, and water will affect the way that radio waves passed through the air. So he recalibrated his equipment to uh include that water area, and he gets another hit. So he's driving down the street holding this antenta out the window. He says, we've got a reenactment video where he's actually interviewed, and he looks up and he says he sees Pablo Escobar on the phone talking looking at him. Well, we're listening to the phone call on the wire tap. There's never any we listened to this a lot of times. There's never any indication that Pablo saw Lieutenant Martinez or this man driving down the street holding an antenna out the window, which was, you know, something you don't see every day. And the only explanation we've ever come up with is like when you ask me a question, I'm reliving a lot of things in my mind, and I'm seeing you on the screen, but I'm more in my mind reliving things I don't I mean, you could pick your nose, I probably wouldn't even pick up.
Speaker 1: On it because I didn't by that allegation stuff I was not and I didn't see it.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it. So and that's the only thing we can every only explanation we ever came up with. Well, now you've got one hundred percent confirmation there's Pablo in this row house. So I'm back at the base and I'm actually in the room with all the gringoes talking because you know, it's just kind of nice to talk to your countryman every once in a while and just you're talking sports or whatever, girlfriends or whatever. And I see it. We're in this quad area, and I see the executive staff for the colonel as majors and his lieutenant colonel's running across the squad and that's you know, that's clue something's going on. So I told the gringoes. I said, hey, man, something's happening. I'll be right back. And so I go to the Colonel Martinez's office. And we had in a good enough relationship, a mutual respect that he sees me at the door and he said, come on. He come on in, and he's on the phone with the lieutenant and he's giving him instructure. He's like, okay, he says, we've got Pablo located without you know, with one hundred percent margin of air or no margin of air whatsoever. Colonel saying, okay, we're loading up the troops. Well, loading up six hundred people takes a while. You know, you can't knock it out in five or ten minutes, he said. But whatever you do, don't let him get away. Surround it and keep him there. Don't let him get away. Well, these the heen guys, they interpreted to that to meus go get him. The American operators had taught them how to use debt cord to blow doors open. So they this is a three story rowhouse. They line the front door, blow the door off, the engines, they go in. The first floor is a combination garage, kitchen, laundry room or cleaning room. Maybe made's quarters back there. Then you go to the second floor and there's a living room, there's a couple bedrooms, and the third floors all bedrooms and bathrooms. So as they get up to the second floor, they clear the first floor. They go to the second floor, there's Pablo running up to the third floor. They exchange shots with each other. One police officer actually tripped on the steps, which saved his life because Pablo shot at him right at that time and it went right over top of his head. Poblo at one time had as many as five hundred cicario as protecting him. On December second, nineteen ninety three, he was down to one guy. His nickname was lemon On I can't remember his real name. Lemon gets to the third floor window. The rowhouse behind him was a two story, so he could jump out that window onto the roof of this two story and then they were going to make their escape out the back way well. The cops had sent a couple guys around the back. They ordered Lemona to drop his we weapons and surrender. He starts shooting at him from the roof and they tune him up and he falls off dead onto the ground. Now Pablo gets up to that third window, or that third floor, and that window he knows good guys are coming up steps. Now he's heard this shooting outside, so he knows there's good guys out there, and he knows he's in a crossfire. He goes in and jumps out the roof. The building next to this two story was another three stories, so there's a wall here and Pablo is trying to inch along that wall to see where the guys are on the ground. These guys are coming up to the front window. He's like, screw it. He takes off a run across the roof, shooting at them, shooting at them. They catch him in a crossfire. He's hit three times, once in the back of the leg, once in the butt cheek, which both of those are knocked down shots, but neither one was a kill shot. And then the kill shot was a two twenty three round through the ear. There's a lot of speculation about that round through the ear. His son, Wan Pablo, would have you believe that his dad committed suicide. I've took the pictures. We don't post those on the meat on the internet. But you can see them all on the internet because people take pricktures during our presentations and they post them. When I was a city cop, I've worked murders and I've worked suicides. I'm also a former fire arms instructor for DEEA. You know that when you shoot a bullet and it comes out the end of the barrel, there's little bits of gunpowder that follow the bullet out and they'll travel a certain distance before they lose their velocity and follow the ground. Even if you could hold a gun at arm's length. And remember it's the two twenty three, So now he's going to have to turn a rifle around and shoot himself into ear. There would be powder burns all over the side of his head. You can go online and look those pictures. I promise you there's not a single powder burn on there. So he was killed by the Columbia National Police. It's not suicide, you know, the kid. I don't know why. You know, maybe if my if Pablo Escobar had been my dad, I think I'd like to change the legacy of his memory too. But that's not true. It's it's a lie.
Speaker 1: If you'll you have sayen that in a gunshop residue there when it happened. You've you've come out shortly after, and some of some of the five days that you talk about, the five days that have been at in the public, they were five days that you actually talk.
Speaker 2: Right, you know. You see on a Narco series it shows that I was on the roof when Pablo was killed. That's not true. I wrote out after the fact with Colonel Martinez and his jeep.
Speaker 1: And when when you got there, you had to go there, I identify him and just corroborate the fact that it is him. How did you feel.
Speaker 2: When one of the majors on the de Henion after they killed Pablo, he comes back in radio's back Viva Columbia. Pablo is dead. I took off running over to the wire room to call the embassy to you know, because you've got to let your bosses know what happened. And so I couldn't get through to the d A office to the front office. So I ended up calling our admin office. When the secretary's answered and she's like, oh, hey, Steve, how you doing. I'm like, go get mister Taff was our boss. I said, go get mister Toff. Oh okay, is everything okay? I'm like, go get mister Toff now, quit wasting time, you know. And so it took two three minutes before he came on the phone, which just seemed like an eternity because I know that they're mounting up the troops and getting ready to go out there. When mister Toff comes on the phone, the first thing he says is they just kill Pablo. I'm like, well, no shit, that's why I'm calling you. And so I told him what had happened, and he said, listen, get out there, confirm this is Pablo. You know, we've been down this road before where we get our hopes up. Go make sure this is Pablo. So I run back to the barracks to get my gear, you know, a gun and everything, and come running back out and everybody is gone. The only people there are the guards on the gates. I don't have a car, I don't know where they are.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm old, dressed up, and no way they got exactly right.
Speaker 2: So I'm just standing there just trying to go through my mind. Right, how am I going to do this? Maybe I could call a taxi or you know, And finally here comes Colonel Martinez with his protection detail, driving back in and he sees me standing out in the middle of quality. He say, Steve, what are you doing? They actually called me Steak Stick cause they couldn't They couldn't say Steve, so it came out of Stick. It was my nickname. He says, Stick, what are you doing? And I said, I need a ride. Colonel He's like, get the jeep, you know. So I ride out with him. We get out there, We go in the door that the Deheen guys had made entry. We searched the first floor, take pictures, go to the second floor, take pictures. Get to the third floor and that's the window. So I get to that wind and I look out and there's all our Deheen buddies out there over the body. And I yelled to them and they're all yelling back, holding their rifles up. You know, we got him. We got him. It's Bablo. He's dead. Well now thousands of people are starting to come out because they just heard this big, massive gun battle. We've got our six hundred people out there. Then the Columbian military shows up with a couple hundreds. I mean, it's just it's great security, but Eventually I got around back with the colonel and we climbed up on the roof and that's when I took the pictures of Pablo, and the whole purpose of that was for identification purposes. When that was over, we're standing on the roof and this group of people show up and they're making a commotion and I looked at one of the lieutenant Colonels was up there. Colonel Colias was with me and I said, Colonel, who's that down there? And he said, well, that's Pablo's mom and that's Pablo's sister. Like oh really, so let's just watch them for a minute. So we watch them and they're arguing with the police and the military, and finally his sister she's really loud and obnoxious. She's like, I want to see you say that's Pablo on the ground. I want to see him. I want to see that that's my brother. So she goes over to where Limonum, the bodyguard, is laying and she just goes off on the police. She's like, oh, you idiots, that's not Pablo. Whiskey bar, you killed the wrong person. You don't even know what you're doing. And she just lets them have it. Finally she calms down and one of the cops looks at her and look on the roof. Bitch, that's what Pablo was, was up on the roof. So I stick around watched them. Once the mother and the sister saw Pablo's body brought off the roof, and I saw their reaction, there was no question in my mind whatsoever that was Pablo Escobar. Now the police were worried about my safety because you know, we weren't allowed to wear anything that looked like police and military, so we typically wore, you know, polo shirts and jeans, tennis shoes, whatever reason. That day I had a red polo shirt on, which really I don't stick out enough, so I wrote, wore a red shirt, you know, go figure.
Speaker 1: Good choice.
Speaker 2: So now the press is starting to show up, and I don't want to be on camera because we don't want this to look like it was orchestrated by the United States. We want the Columbia National Police to have the credit for everything, and rightfully so. So the colonels, like Lieutenant Colonel, he said, okay, Steve, we're going to get you back, and so he gave me a protection detail and they escort me back to the base that night. I mean we went into total lockdown. You were you know, I know you see this on TV, but you literally have your gun under your pillow because you're expecting this retaliatory tax, you know, retaliation from the narcos. Quiet at night, I ever spent money.
Speaker 1: And this was that night.
Speaker 2: Next day they made Hoavier go to Miami to talk to an informant, which is a bogus trip. We knew the informant didn't have the information, but the ambassador order how to go. So he flew back into that pub was killed on a Thursday. He flew back to Bogaton on Thursday night. Friday, he flew up to Median sent a gunship out to bring him into the base. You know, high five, congratulations and all that. We were there for a couple hours, and he and I Friday night flew back to Bogota and we weren't supposed to ride taxis down there because of the danger factor. Well, the embassy didn't send anybody out to pick us up, so we jumped to the taxi went back to the embassy. My wife was working in the see at that time, and it's probably six thirty seven o'clock at night, and you know, she had lots of pizzas and lots of cases of beer, and we celebrated that night. We got home Saturday morning, probably about ten thirty eleven o'clock. It was an all nighter. It was one hell of a party. Well it was, and that was a long story of your short question. It felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off our shoulders. I mean, it's my wife and I had adopted our first daughter down there in October before Pablo was killed, and then I had to go back to Media Inc. And Monica at that time, she was at eight months old and we got her and I'm you know, I'm not even getting to spend any time with my new daughter. So it was it was it's hard to describe. It's just, you know, Wow, he's finally dead. He's really finally dead.
Speaker 1: And do what was the ongoing reaction from that? Did it make a difference.
Speaker 2: That's a good question, and a lot of people ask us that, especially when we go to the UK. Here's what we did. We and you you already mentioned the statistics. In ninety two and ninety three, medi in Columbia was the murder capital of the entire world, one of the most dangerous cities in the world. So we looked at the murder rate in Meding prior to Pablo's death, and then we waited a couple of months and checked the murder rate, and you can go. I challenge every audience to go check it and see if I'm telling the truth, because what I found and what you'll find, is that the murder rate in Median, Columbia had dropped by almost eighty percent simply because Pablo Escobar was dead. Now did we do we make a difference on cocaine trafficking? We did, probably lasted maybe two weeks at most. The sad thing is here in the United States right now you can go on almost any street corner by cocaine, certain areas of town you go to. So people say, well, the war on drugs is lost, that it has just been away at coloss a waste of time and human life. Well, what would it be like if law enforced wasn't out there fighting the scourge? You know, would you be safe to do anything? Because there's going to be drug addicts everywhere. They're going to be robbing here, They're going to be still and you're going to kill, you gonna be jacking your car. It made a difference. It's just it didn't end the war on drugs. That's not going to happen until the demand goes away.
Speaker 1: How do you approach it? That's a subject for another another time. I think highlighting what you were doing. Your job was to locate and capture Pablo Escobar, and by doing so you made a difference and a job of that magnitude. That's like an investigation on steroids. Were you on a low after it? Like did you you feel like you lack purpose? Or did you use it to just go Okay, I've done the hard yards. Now I can have a bit of a bit of a rest or take some time to find myself again.
Speaker 2: Well, I was there until June. So he was killed Decemberary three and asked for back to the United States. Since in June of ninety four and Javier came out. I think in September. I ended up in North Carolina. Never seen praight cocaine in my life. I've spent four years in Miami, three years in Bogata, and I ended up Greensboro. And right, cocaine is the that's the drug evil drug of that area at the time, so you addressed whatever the drug problem is in the area that you're assigned. But when I got to Greensboro and I didn't even know where it was, I had to look it up on the map. When I got to Greensboro, I felt like that's when the job got to be a lot of fun. That there had I had no pressure whatsoever to prove myself to anybody. I felt like I survived Miami in the nineteen eighties, I survived the Pablo Escobar man hunt. That's when a job got to be fun. I mean, we had five agents trying to cover twenty plus counties, so we always worked at our state and local park nurse, which quite honestly, I prefer working with anyway, because they're a lot more fun to hang out with, and you know, they don't complain when it's quitting time. And I mean they're dedicated, and most most d agents are, but not all. So I guess that was the thing for me. It was it was I had come I had become a workaholic, I think. I mean we were Gosh, if you were in the embassy, we lived off off the coffee and doughnuts, every day. It was that sugar and caffeine kept you going. I'd stop by the nurses station and get my blood pressure checked and it was never high. You know, I say it was I felt like, you know, the good man upstairs was taking care of me healthwise. The Columbia National Police, especially the dehing guys. When the bullets started flying, we knew they wouldn't run off and leave us. I mean they'd stand there and fight to protect us. But they knew we wouldn't run off and leave them either. So it was just it was one of the I would I never want to do any of that again, especially at this old man age, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's what we're doing in retirement is I never dreamt we'd be doing anything like this. It's I mean, being on a podcast with you and you're in Australia. I mean I get to travel the world just our Kenthon. You're traveling around the world telling the true story about bablu Escobar. We talk about leadership, decision making, teamwork. It's I'm having a blast in retirement. I have to see.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, like full credit to you, but I think it starts and you didn't start off that investigation thinking, Okay, I'm in twenty years thirty years time, I'm going to be doing a tour around the world. I'm going to speak on someone's podcast overseas. And that's I can see and I know, yeah, you're a cop, you know other cops. I can see the joy that you took from the work that you're doing. It has the highs, it has the horror, but there's also something that, yeah, it was the right fit for you, obviously doing policing your life after policing, hope, noting a round the world, and yeah, your Netflix series Knockofs tell us how it came about.
Speaker 2: You know, a friend of mine had introduced me to Hollywood producers and Hobby and are stilling the job, and I would call him. He was in Texas, I was in Virginia, and you kind of get your hopes up that, oh, maybe somebody is interested in this story because it was so long ago, and both of those producers wanted to take our story and make political statements out of it. I say, I'm about as a political as you're going to get. So you get your hopes up, but then nothing happens and you get disappointed. So when I got the call about this guy named Eric Newman and Hollywood wanted to talk to us, I refused to call him to start with. And the guy that called me was an old Breen buddy, and I told him, I said, okay, he cussed me out to what he did, and I's like, okay, I'll call him. I'll call him. So I called Eric and he kind of gave me his little spill on the phone and I said, you know, thank you, but I think we'll pass. And he got real quiet on the phone. I said to Eric, are you still there? And he's like, I can't believe you just said no. And we've since learned that people will pretty much sell their soul to be on TV in Hollywood. I mean, there's some strange people out there. And so he said, listen, I'm coming to Washington next month. Would you can I take you to dinner. I have a couple of writers. Let's just talk about this and see if we can change your mind. And againy, you will understand this. I'm thinking that's going to be a free dinner and a really nice restaurant. Yes, I will meet you. That it was as a French restaurant, so we you know, after we talked to them, I just kind of developed a connection with them. They were very open and honest and transparent about everything. And so we're getting ready to leave the restaurant. He says, so what are you going to do? And I said, well, let me talk to Hoare and let's maybe we'll pursue this and see where it goes. So my initial conversation with Eric was in February of thirteen. In March is when we had dinner. In May, we signed contracts with Netflix, and at the end of June, I retired from DEEA. I retired from law enforcement after thirty eight years. And in July we were sitting in Hollywood starting to write the first season of Narco's with all the writers. So it went just like that.
Speaker 1: Perfect, perfect Tommy for you. The obvious question you want to ask is who's going to play you? At what point in time did you ask who's going to play It?
Speaker 2: Wasn't too far into it. There was between Eric and one of his other producers is a guy named Chris Francato, who this and I have stayed friends and I've worked on a couple of other projects with him. And I think what they would do is they would there are organizations in Hollywood that, you know, their talent Agency, so they represent certain actors and actresses, and so they would bring us these booklets and said here's somebody you know the book that might be this thick and they'd say, here's some of the people were thinking about playing your part. And he started going through. Then you see John Travolta, and you see Armie Hammer, and you see Jake Jillen Hall, and I'm like, holy cow, I'm not a big TV watcher, but even I knew who these people were. And I think it was just to playcad us, to keep us from asking questions, because that's not who they hired at all.
Speaker 1: Right, just keep these idiots happy.
Speaker 2: Exactly, That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: It's an experience and that it's been. I believe it's one of the top Netflix series that they put out, the original series. And the question that often gets us too, when your life or the investigations played out in the TV world, was it true and in terms of things that happened, what's your take on Knickos.
Speaker 2: The timeline, the chronological timeline is pretty accurate, but we did it only in our own analysis of the first two seasons, because that's the twenty episodes about Pablo Escobar, and we figured that about a third of what you see in there is true. The second third, well, those events happened, but they haven't been portrayed correctly. They've been dramatized greatly, or they've taken other incidents and combined them and things like that. But then that last there is just straight out and make believe Hollywood. You know, I was never kidnapped. We weren't pushing people out of helicopter doors at three thousand feet. Javier wasn't passing class find information to lost peppies. But like I take you know one on stage, what I joke around about it. What is true is that Javier really is a man slut. And it's funny because when his wife's when his wife's in the audience, I always go before the show and say, Beverly, you know what I'm going to say, Are you okay with us? It's like, yeah, go ahead, don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Well that that's good, but that's certainly the way he was portrayed, but he seems to enjoy it. It must be great. You two still been in contact. When you've been through an experience like you went through. I take it you've remained lifelong friends. And you must be having a ball doing what you're doing because you do some live shows as well. You've been able to overdo Australia and UK and across America. You enjoying yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, brother, I'm having a blast. It's we've been on every content that except Africa and Antarctica, and I'm not going to Antarctica. But we were supposed to go to Africa the first year of COVID, and of course that killed that. That our four years before COVID, we averaged seventy five shows a year. So I saw hobbyer born and I saw my wife, but my marriage was stronger than ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I wasn't on You've got to get a wife from him. You probably probably probably seek of him. And what's the you're also doing the podcast Game of Crimes. What's what's the backstory to that?
Speaker 2: It's very similar to what you're doing. It's I started out with a friend of mine. We came up to this idea. He was used to be a Kansas State trooper and a detective out there and during COVID, we got bored and decided we start a podcast. And I don't even know what a podcast was, but he did, so we're He had to leave the show last April because he still had a day job and they increased his responsibilities, but they also doubled his paycheck and that pays a whole lot more than a podcast. Okay, but coming up on the end of the fourth year here in June, going to start the fifth year. Every show has a guest. It's mostly current or law enforcement. Occasionally a first responder or military. I bring in the military veterans, and even every once in a while I'll bring in a former bad guy and then let the listeners get the perspective from his viewpoint. And most of them, they they have to have a tone for for their crimes. You know, most of them have done their time in prison and they've changed their lives. And I have one guy that was the just a couple of months ago, that was the president of the Hell's Angels in Los Angeles for thirty five years, and he really wouldn't come off of it. He did his prison time. But you know, I asked him, I said, anything you'd changed in your life, and he's like, Nope, not a thing. So you know, he's the only one that really hasn't come across the you know, to be a good guy.
Speaker 1: Now, it's interesting, interesting, Steve, you're touring, touring the world. You've got the TV series pubcast, Wilse. I write a book, Man Hunters and the Bringing Them Pablo Escoba, which I read cover the cover, and it's a great read and gives a really good insight into what you've what you've done.
Speaker 2: Just to give you a little inside secret, we had a go straighter. No no, well, I tried to and it looked like a third reader had written.
Speaker 1: Well when I left the Cops and trying to like I was doing journalism and writing articles and the book it looked like a fact sheet until someone pulled me aside and slapped me and said, it looks stupid. Had a bit of color to this. We just don't want a fact shet. Okay, all right, I had a bit if I went back to the cops. Now, I'd love to write a fact sheet because would be very creative. It it'd be a cold, dark night when I came across the seas. Oh yeah, yeah, anyway, look, thank you very much for your time, and we literally have just scratch scratched the surface of your stories. But from a law enforcement officers point of view, I think what you did, I can see the sacrifices you made, and we haven't really delved into all the sacrifices you made in your personal sacrifices hunting down the world's most wanted man and all the other things that you've done in your career. But also someone like you, I think inspires law enforcement officers, Like you're this dumb, dumb kid from the country that ended up living the life that you live because of the job that you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been blessed in my life. I've been blessed in my career. You know, you mentioned the families of our families that sacrifice so much. I refer to them as the unsung heroes, so I always give them a shout out, and just to finish up about the esc of our story, the real heroes. It's not half of your opinion, Steve Murphy. It's not the United States. It's Columbia National Police because they took their country back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it always comes across when I hear you talk about giving the tribute to to the sacrifices they made as well. But look it's been an honor and the privilege and I've really enjoyed, enjoyed the chaps.
Speaker 2: Take care of again.
Speaker 1: You look like you're enjoying life.
Speaker 2: Life is good. I'm sitting at the beach right now, so there you got good stuff. Thanks for having me on. Thank you.