Speaker 1: From the Australian. This is the weekend edition of the Front Unclaire Harvey. Wuthering Heights is the most polarizing cinema event of twenty twenty six. Reviewers have thrown at five stars or one, audiences have loved it or walked out of the cinema. One thing people agree on is that Emerald Fanelle's adaptation of Emily Bronte's story of love and Revenge is for women, specifically young women. So joining me today is Bianca far Marcus, content director of Culture at The Australian and a young woman and spoiler alert, she hated it. What should you do here?
Speaker 2: Well, if you were rich supposor and do all Richmond live in a big ouse?
Speaker 3: It be cruel to my servants.
Speaker 1: Take a wife, a wife? What wife?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 1: The Australian's got a new chief film critic, Nikki Gammel, and she announced herself in the role with a pretty startling review Wuthering Heights.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, five stars, my first ever five star review.
Speaker 1: Bianca far Marcus is The Australian's Content director of Culture and Bianca, it's safe to say Nicki loved this movie.
Speaker 5: Yes, she absolutely loved the film. I think it's one of the most exciting reviews I've read of Wuthering Heights, and our audience loved either agreeing with her or getting into a debate, which this film seems to be sparking a lot of.
Speaker 4: Emerald Fanelle has electrified the franchise. I watched the nineteen thirty nine Wathering Heights you know, Lawrence Olivier mil Oberon with my heart. I watched the very Door Overly Yearness twenty eleven Andrea Arnold version with my head. I watched this one.
Speaker 1: With my groin. Bianka, you got Nikki and a few of our other experts, Jordi Gray and Melanda rout into the State Theater to have a deep dive into who loved Wathering Heights and who hated it.
Speaker 4: We are at the glorious State Theater in Sydney. We're just a couple of weeks ago. Wathering Heights made its Australian premiere quite divisive ever since. I think we should turn to bi Anchor.
Speaker 5: Let me just start by saying I don't think Wathering Heights is necessarily a bad movie. I would say it's the worst film I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Banker.
Speaker 5: Now, I know I'm surrounded by fans here, and I would just like to kick off this conversation by saying, what was it that you actually enjoyed?
Speaker 1: I loved It's audacity.
Speaker 6: For me, It's about women being audacious and breaking through with boldness and daring, just as Emily Bronte did in eighteen forty six eighteen forty seven. Emerald Fanelle has seized the ip, the original product and made something electric and alive and Dann sexy.
Speaker 4: I just take off my hat to her.
Speaker 1: The ankle. We're gonna look at what some other people thought of this movie, but I need to know more about why you hated it. Why did you hate this movie so much?
Speaker 5: It's three things. Firstly, all style, no substance. Secondly, and I really hope I'm not deported for this one, but Margot Robbie and Jacob e Loordi cannot act together. They were hopeless.
Speaker 2: I have not broken your heart, have broken it, and in breaking it, you've broken minds kussas broth Betun.
Speaker 5: Thirdly would be the positioning of this film as a great love story, which has caused a lot of drama for a lot of different reasons. People are upset that it deviated so much from the original text. People are upset that it kind of ignores the whole domestic violence element to it. My main gripe was that if you're going to position something as a love story, you need to get actors with the slightest bit of chemistry, and the symbolism used was just the most lazy and boring kind of hints at subtle sexuality. I think I've ever had the misfortune of watching for two and a half hours of my life. I cannot tell you how much I hated this movie.
Speaker 1: I really don't want to see it because I, as a devoted Jane Austen fan fine the Bronte sisters and their gothic running around on the moor's kind of ripping your clothes often crying novels really tedious. I also found really tedious Saltburn, which is the movie that everyone loves by Emerald Fanell. Hello Oliver Darning, Oh beautiful eyes, Oh.
Speaker 4: Wonderful No, I told you it wasn't a Minger Oh, but Darning your kind about everyone you can't be trusted?
Speaker 1: Did you like Saltburn?
Speaker 5: I found Saltburn fine personally. I thought it was a poor man's Tom Ripley and just focused more on the depravity than anything else. It had interesting bits, and I think visually she is an impeccable filmmaker, and I think culturally she is one of the most interesting filmmakers of our time and really shows like kind of this new generational shift of how we're watching films. My personal favorite was her debut promising Young Woman.
Speaker 1: Oh you Hi, I'm back because I think you gave me a fake number.
Speaker 2: The other day.
Speaker 7: I'm not really looking to date anyone at the moment, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Me, neither.
Speaker 4: Would you.
Speaker 1: Be interested in a friendship And I'm secretly pining for you.
Speaker 2: The whole time.
Speaker 5: The substance, the nuance of it, every single element of that film was just a work of art. I don't know what's happened since. I think for anyone wanting to know whether they should see whether in Heights or not, I'd say read a Vogue, drop a cardon of eggs on the floor, and look at someone you find attractive from a distance, and think about what it would be like to be with them for five minutes. You pretty much just saved yourself two and a half hours and ten minutes that's what you get.
Speaker 1: Throw a bucket of cold water on yourself and pretend you're on the Yorkshire Wars. Let's read a review by The Independence Clarice Lowry. She gave it one star. She said, adaptation or not, it's an astonishingly hollow work. Some of this, it can be argued, was already signaled by the film's casting and the choice to obliterate any mention of race, colonialism or ostracization in the telling of Pseudo Siblings Kafyine Heathcliff's destructive codependence. Heathcliff, who's ethnically ambiguous appearance is of great concern to every other character in the book, is played by white Australian actor Jacob Alaudie. Now this has been a thread of the commentary about Jacob Elordie's performance. Whether you like it or not, there's a critique that he's too basically. I think that might be a little bit unfair. I mean, yes, he is not a gypsy as Heathcliff is described in the original text, but he's also not blonde with blue eyes.
Speaker 5: I think people getting hung up on the fact that it's not directly a representation of the book are missing the point that Emerald Fanell intentionally put it in inverted commons. We know it's wuthering heights in her interpretation, and I also just think it riscins the ability to move on from the text, Like there are versions of the book that's turned into a film that is very loyal to that, and I think it's important, But I also don't know why that's become such a sticking point when there's plenty of other things to hate about this movie.
Speaker 1: There are certainly ways to adapt iconic novels without being faithful to the text. Clueless is a great example of that, the nineteen nineties movie that's an adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma.
Speaker 7: You're like, I go out like that are share?
Speaker 2: I get in here?
Speaker 4: What's that? Daddy?
Speaker 1: What the hell is that?
Speaker 3: Address?
Speaker 1: Says who Calvin Klein.
Speaker 2: It looks like underwear.
Speaker 1: Go upstairs and put something over it.
Speaker 4: So I was just going to.
Speaker 1: It managed to be funny and incisive and different, but it didn't get itself into the same jam that Emerald Fanell's now in, And maybe inverted commason on enough to distance you from the original text.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, my personal favorites ten things I Hate about you The Taming of the Shrew.
Speaker 4: All right, anyone braving up to read theirs aloud?
Speaker 7: I will lord, here we go. I hate the way you talk to me and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big, dumb combat boots and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick. It even makes me rhyme.
Speaker 5: I guess what those achieved was taking it completely out of the world that it was said in, whereas Emerald Fanel kind of does this sort of lazy flirtation with it and then just ignores everything else. So it's a balance of which parts that she ignored that you really take an issue with.
Speaker 1: Now, Emerald Fanil is a millennial, but only just she's forty years old. Yes, she's getting much closer to my end of the spectrum then to yours. But there's a lot of talk about how she's reinventing cinema for a new generation, and she's making this relevant for young women. You're a young woman. Why did that not connect with you?
Speaker 5: Other than the fact that it was beautiful to look at. I think it had absolutely nothing to really hook into, And I think this one was kind of a failure in ways to make a film for young people because it did have those sexy celebrities editing that makes the whole thing kind of look like a TikTok. At the end of the day, it just felt really shallow and hollow and overtly reliant on things that appeal to young people, rather than in the past, where she's genuinely made films that really connect to younger audiences.
Speaker 1: The New Yorkers Justin Chang wrote this in his review. The actors generate sparks of passion, but no deeper air of tragic or romantic inevitability, no sense of a bond forged between souls, and only a smidgen of the corrosive rage that makes Wuthering Heights as much of a hate story as it is a love story. You hated it, obviously that you're bringing the hate. What about the sex? Was it sexy? Ah?
Speaker 4: Not? Really?
Speaker 2: Do you want me to stop?
Speaker 5: It was just lazy. It was like, let's rely on two attractive people to sell a sex scene. It's like, well, they have to actually do something and it can't just be random staring across the yard sticking your fingers into a fish. Also, the thing that I find quite interesting about this is she didn't change the historical context of it. Right. This is in the eighteenth century, a pre refrigeration period, might I add, So the kind of the idea that everyone's getting off by smash dairy and rotting fish is just ridiculous to me.
Speaker 1: What was the thing about the eggs? Behind the eggs? Please, you gotta tell me these eggs. Everyone's talking about eggs.
Speaker 5: These eggs in this economy is what bothers me the most about this film. It's just like it's a symbol that Heathcliff keeps leaving her smashed eggs in her bed on the floor, or there's eggs smashing everywhere, and apparently no one in this village is starving because they just get to smash eggs all the time.
Speaker 1: The eggs could be about fertility, about sort of smashing her fertility. There could be about you know, bodily.
Speaker 5: Fluids, honestly, and I'm like, I'm meant to believe that that's sexy. Really, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love and implied sort of sexual reference in everything. I think It is very appealing and it does kind of, particularly for women, tap into that whole thing of like we want to think about it rather than just see, like you know, full on sex scenes. But also, I just did nothing for me. I just cannot fathom that these two people had any chemistry whatsoever. It's like confirms my firm belief that there should always be one ugly person in a relationship, because then you know they've got something else driving you there to stay with them. These are two gorgeous and might I add, very talented actors that should never again be in a film together.
Speaker 1: They've taken the chemistry or unfortunately not the eggs to the red carpet as well. Every time I see them on a red carpet, they're kind of all over each other. They're posting social media videos with matching rings. That is sort of breaking the fourth wall in a quite old way. I mean, we meant to believe that Margot and Jacob are actually obsessed with each other in real life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I think this is a masterclass in marketing.
Speaker 3: Alison told me about Alex Cameron, who I know know Alex Cameron loves modern day meet Look, why have we never spoken about.
Speaker 2: The way.
Speaker 5: They clearly did all these things just to build the hype around it, and now we have things like Jacob Elordie wearing his silver tooth with the initials of the characters engraved on it. It's just a marketing ploy, and it's a very good one, but it doesn't do anything for the film other than build hype around it and then spurn a thousand think pieces talking about how bad it was.
Speaker 1: Is it going to win any awards? Is this an all school worthy film?
Speaker 5: Do you think I think it's a Razzie worthy film if you're not on the judging fannel, no, I know not yet, but look, I think there are definitely accolades to be paid for the costuming and the set design is incredible. But yeah, I'm going to give it a solid note for the Oscars. Also makes sense for why they released in February, because they completely missed the season and they will most certainly not be making it the next year.
Speaker 1: Bianko far Marcus, I think you've made up my mind. I'm not going to see it, and I'm really happy about that.
Speaker 5: Wait till streaming.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Biancher far Marcus is Content director of Culture at The Australian. Every day you can read the best of arts, entertainment, music, dance and more with our culture experts at the Australian dot com dot a U slash culture. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and co produced with Jasper League, who edited the episode and also wrote our theme. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team includes Kristin Amiot Leat Sammaglue, Tiffany Dimac and Joshua Burton.