Speaker 1: Gooday, champions, Welcome back to another installment of the project. That's you. Perry and I had a big chat yesterday about all things, you know, food and training and lifestyle and health, and we were doing something of a Q and A around your cues and our a's that went forever, was very long. We were both very verbose. I really enjoyed it. We did not intend to do a two part. We intended to do a one part of about forty five sixty minutes. It ended up being double that or more, and so here we are. We turned it into two bits. This is bit too. Perry Anarchus and himself enjoy it. Alrighty, giddy up, this is fun. The next one is from Melissa Allen. Shout out to you, Melissa, and I'm not even going to answer because this is straight into your wheelhouse. The question is should you consume prot soon before or after strength training? Pezza?
Speaker 2: Oh that look. I hear this one all the time and I love it. And it sort of goes against the rules sometimes, but the science is there and the results are there so simple. If you haven't had enough protoin in the day, has some protein after the workout. If you've had protein before your workout, have your protein later in the day, it doesn't matter. It's not critical. This anabolic window that we got told you've got to be there it's exactly twenty two minutes at eighteen seconds, otherwise you will fade away does not exist. There is an anabolic response. There is, but it all depends on the amount of protein they eat through the day. And as I mentioned before, it's your total protein intake that matters. So if I've eaten w We're talking about one hundred and twenty grands of protein in the day, and I've done a workout, having protein before or after, it means no difference to me. You'll still get the same antabolic response. There's no magic hate. Guess what, I've had one hundred and twenty grands. But now I'm going to have a protain shake straight after a workout, I'm going to be five QoS. Figger, It doesn't work that way.
Speaker 1: Can you just explain to our listeners that when we say anabolic, we're not talking about steroids or gear. Just tell because I think when you use the word anabolic, people like I don't fucking use that. Well, no, no, no, we all have anabolic and catabolic responses. Just explain what an anabolic response is.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm glad you pointing that out, because now I've got a big smile on my face. Go oops, that was a bit of an anabolic means for your muscles to grow. So you're in what we call a positive nitrogen balance. In other words, you're not losing muscle. You've done your workout, You've done created a stimulus from that mechanical tension as a response, and your muscle is now growing. That is known as an anabolic response to training.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and catabolic everyone is the opposite. Catabolic is basically muscle wasting or tears down muscle. And interestingly, you might want to add to this or not peirs, but interestingly, when we are stressed, when we are anxious, one of the hormones we produce is cortisol, and cordisole is catabolic. And so literally, stress and anxiety and lack of sleep and overthinking. I'm not trying to make anyone stressed. I don't want you to get stressed about your stress. But you know, all of those things, stress, anxiety, under sleeping, all of those things actually have a negative impact on your capacity to build muscle, build strength, and keep it. So there's a real there's a relationship between nervous system, endocrime system, and muscular system and our ability to build and maintain muscle. Pezza one of.
Speaker 2: The things people need to realize though, because I've seen people take that information and look at it as an extreme right. They'll say, cortisol will break down muscle, so I should not have any cortisol. That's crazy. We need quordisof for the body of the fund, we need estrogen for the body to function, and when need testosterone for the body to function. So it's making sure we don't have elevated quartersole response to our natural ability. And that's one thing I'd like to lays fear up with people because I've had this discussion where I've looked at someone's bloodworks and we've gone through and I've gone, oh, well, my quartersole it's four hundred and twenty two millim and I'm like, yeah, well it's not over six hundred and you took it after you had a cup of coffee. What do you expect. That's okay, You're not going to die, you're not going to lose muscling, You'll be fine.
Speaker 1: You know that is so interesting, right, you just said something, then you had your blood test done after a cup of coffee or whatever. Right, isn't it funny how it depends on the time of day, or it depends on the state you're in, or the environment you're in, or how much sleep you had, or what you've been doing all morning. Like, your blood work could come up quite different even if you had the same tests done, you know, four weeks every Monday for four weeks, your blood work could come up quite differently depending on what you've done in each of those weeks.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, one hundred percent. I'll interrupt you here at a classic example. I had a kind that would eat a big carbohydrate meal. Look you, the potatoes were passa before they go to bed. Then they get their blood tests done in the morning, and they always showed elevated blood glucose response. But they were going, right, we're on borderline top of two diabetes. Whatever. I've looked at the blood test, look at the lifestyle, and laughed and I went, let's flip this around. Let's see you have your pasta for breakfast and have your vegetables and salads at night, or just some eggs or whatever, and sea within six to twelve weeks, all their blood glucose levels for back to normal. And the doctor's going, oh, you've obviously done something different, You've taken some medication, whatever, And it's like, nah, we just changed the environment. Why are you eating and when you're eating? That made such a big difference on this person.
Speaker 1: My last one just quickly. They used to you kind of touched on this last question. But there used to be this widely held theory in the bodybuilding community. I don't know how scientific it was. I guess is not very but that we could only absorb or assimilate thirty grams of protein at a time, which seems like a very round and specific number considering some people weigh fifty kilos and some people weigh one hundred and thirty and everybody's got a different gut biome, and everybody's you know, got different receptors and responds differently. What is is there? Any number? Is there? Like? What is that about? Is that bullshit? Is there something in that?
Speaker 2: Okay, I was taught at the university the same thing. It's thirty grams of protein at one sitting, and that's why you need to space out your protein depending on what you've eate them with that meal stuff it's a carbohydrate based meal and you've had more protin than that. That protein will actually then be converted into ureaq acid and go go to the byproduct can become ureque acid and you pee that out. So you're actually peeing out your protein if you haven't had carbohydrates and your low on food and that we'll still keep the protein in there we're floating around. The body won't be urinated, and then it might assisting maintaining a little bit of muscle mass for a longer period of time. I've like, there's been this speculation that we can absorb one hundred grands of protein. There was a study done where the guys had one hundred graands of protein in one sitting, and we've got, oh, look at this. This throws everything out the window when we look deeper into that study. Though the study was done with one the type of person that they were using was an untrained athlete et cetera or untrained person, I should say. And secondly, the type of protect they were giving them a milk based protein. I think it was casing PROTECT and they're basically just drinking in one hit and saying, look it's all gotten through the body, we haven't lost it and whatever. So what this has really done in let's say the nutrition and dietitians environment, it's opened up a window to discuss this more and to research more and say, listen, what happens when we're at more protein? Will it be assimilated for muscle protein synthesis? Can we get away with having one meal a day and that's it what we'll do. So it's really rattled a lot of people. My own personal experience and what I've found and from the research that I've done, plays a lot with if you're eating a protein source that so we're having a steak and in that steak you've had so much amount and there's fifty or sixty grams of protein in that steak. What we find is that the amino acid loose thing that's found in that steak is like a switch. It turns on and turns off, So it turns on your body's ability to grow muscle and maintain muscle mass. Right. What we're finding is is that if it's let's say, insider the thirty grams you've got that fifty or sixty grams of protein. Because your loose thin content is higher. That means it's going to stain your blood system longer. It means that the end talk, that ability for the body to keep growing muscle will stay on longer. So therefore you will grow more muscle. And that's the latest concept that's coming out some way on. If we have forty or fifty grams of protein and there's more loosing in there, that light switch, that little candle that comes on is staying on for longer. Therefore we're growing muscle for longer. And for the bodybuilding environment, Everyone's gone, who who, here we go. I'm going to you haven't my six hundred names of stake and that problems at all? And a produce shake and four eggs.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting. It's like I only ate two meals a day now, and I've done that for about the last which is and I've said this many times, that's not a recommendation, because I don't think that's actually a good idea for most people. But for me, when I don't eat lunch, I actually feel better through the day. And again, you know, like I'm saying everyone, I actually don't think this is a good protocol for most people. But there's only one me, and there's only one me who lives in this body. There's only one of this body and one of me, and for me, that's what works. But I think that you know, being able to understand how your body is going to respond to different things as well as you know, whatever whatever's resonating for you today is to maybe maybe the idea is to go, like I said earlier, just just change something a bit, but don't change seven things. Even if if you do one thing for a week and then try another thing, and the thing that you try could be I'm going to train in the afternoon, not the morning. Or I'm going to train in the morning not the afternoon, or I'm gonna I'm gonna, like Perry said, I'm going to get a protein powder so I can get you know, an easy thirty grams of protein every now and then rather than having a steak or a chicken breast or some eggs or cooking a meal or you know. Like, But but what that thing that you do, that change that you make, My advice would be again, take it or leave it. Do it systematically and methodically and consistently for a period of time while keeping all the other variables pretty much the same, because otherwise we don't know what the fuck works. You know. I remember when I it was actually in COVID mate. So in Melbourne, we weren't allowed to go more than seven feet from the house or you'd be shot dead, right, and like it was fucking ridiculous. But anyway, that's for another time. But the gyms were closed. You couldn't you know, there were so many things that you couldn't do. But like I has this peasive this is a side issue, but I literally did not have a human in my house other than me for a year. I did not have one human being because people weren't allowed to come over. Yeah, because I don't have a wife, or my parents lived in the country. They couldn't even drive down, right, I couldn't drive up, you know, all these things. But anyway, one of the byproducts was that I was sitting more than ever so that I gained you know, not a lot, but probably three kilos maybe four kilos of lard of quiet, prime quality Australian fucking lard. And you know, I was just for me a bit like oh, and I felt a bit shit and I you know like I functioned a bit shit, and if I'm being completely vain, I looked a bit shit anyway. So I said to myself, I'm just gonna have a week where I eat breakfast and dinner and that's it. And there wasn't any longer term plan. I went, I'm going to do that because you know, I'm going to cut out seven meals this week and I've got a bit like I've got these four kilos of fat that I need to do something with anyway. Day one, because I was doing my PhD then still fucking al'spend forever and work and podcasts. Day one, when I normally like I was getting a bit tired in the afternoon every afternoon, Like where now it's three oh seven as we're recording in Melbourne. I feel fucking great. There's no tiredness right But about this time every day, maybe an hour earlier, I would get tired. But from the moment I started eliminating lunch, I went through the whole day and my energy was better than when I ate lunch. I'm like, ah, And that wasn't an intention or even a thought in my mind, and that it just speaks to the fact that like for me anyway, and for all of us, but but for me, what I learned was, well, my cognitive capacity is better when I eat this way. I don't know why, but it is. So I'm going to do that. Maybe it's a fluke. So the next day I did it, and the next day and then after a week, and that was my original plan was one week. Then I went, fuck it, I'll do two weeks, right, and then another thing. Just while we're talking about this, and we're getting off track, but you fucking love it. I love it about uh. I think it was about October. I don't know if you've heard this story. My phone. You know how your phone Sorry to my listeners who've heard this, but you know how your phone tracks your steps?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, So my phone basically said to me, one day, you're a fat fuck, get up and start moving, right. It told me my steps were low, and it said your steps this year compared to last year, and it's I don't you know. I would go for a walk most days, but some days I wouldn't, but I would think there's enough incidental movement and activity and walking anyway, it said, for the last three months, you've averaged four and a half thousand steps or maybe it was six months, and I'm like, fucking hell, like my mum walks more than that, and I'm like, I'm a disgrace. So I that the next day I went, and then I went that day all right, Well, from now, not soon, not one day, not Monday, not January one, but from now my rock bottom is ten thousand a day. And that was about five months ago, I think. And so every day I've done, the worst I've done is ten thousand, you know, ten thousand, five hundred. But most days I'm somewhere between thirteen and fifteen, and I'm on a crazy day, I'm up around twenty or a little bit over. But every day, give'll take I'm walking ten kilometers. But my long winded point is for me, that like that helps me stay lean, it makes my brain work better, it's better for my posture, it's better for my back, like I was starting to get a little chifotic because I'm fucking sitting all day. My shoulders are like, there's so many benefits. But if I didn't try these things and then persevere, I wouldn't figure out what's optimal for me. And I think that's something that we just don't do enough of We try something for two days and say it didn't work.
Speaker 2: All I'm cheering in. I've my flag waving for you as well too. You know, the beauty about what you've done is is that you've done the one thing that a lot of people struggle to do, and that's been consistent and have a base to work from. So this is how I'm feeling, This is what I look like. This is let's say what my blood works are telling me. I'm now going to create change and be consistent with that change and let it go like you've been doing there for five months. What's the outcome? What's the outcome? And being consistent every day to get the twelve fifteen thousand steps whatever you're doing today, How am I actually feeling what's happening with my body? Is this beneficial or is it detrimental? And you found that it's beneficial for you? You find it so if it's working, you know you're on a right track. You're changing nutrition. You've gone against let's say, the theoretical guidelines of what we should be doing. But yeah, you find that it works for you. It works for you, So I would be stupid to say no, sorry, Craig, you shouldn't do that. You should have five meals a day, and you know you should wash your hands before you're eating all this crazy stuff. I'd go, no, all right, you're having the two meals. Let's analyze that. Let's see what are you eating in those two meals? How does that working for you? What's the outcome? Let's try and understand how that's working for your physiologically, so then I can learn so either fine tune what you're doing, or go, hey, it gets the peri of an archistic of approval, please move forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love it. And it's funny because there are some people who even I guess if I had an area of expertise, I never call myself an expert with anything, but if I did have an area, it'd be exercise programming. And you know, when I talk to people sometimes, you know, I go, wow, you look fucking amazing. What are you doing? And then they tell me and they're doing something I would never prescribe. I'm like, and I want to say, don't do that, but I look at them and I go, ah, well, what do I know? You should definitely do that because whatever you're doing, despite the fact that I wouldn't have recommended it. What the fuck do I know it's working? You know, I think this is one of the challenges. I reckon, we're digressing. We'll come to the next question in a moment, which is from Karen. But I think one of the challenges is pezzant. And I'm just fucking riffing here. But like people who are in the science space or the fitness space, or the medical space or the research space or the you know, we get our identity can kind of get intertwined with what we think is right, you know, our beliefs, and then our ego, our insecurity, you know, like ansel Keys, you know, the fuckings twenty one country study which was the start the genesis of the food pyramid and all of that. And you know, we've spoken about this many times or a version of this many times, where someone goes, oh, this is the only way to eat or lift or train or run or recover or sleep or you know, and then people like, once you think you've got the right program or the best protocol, then anyone who doesn't agree with you is pretty much the enemy. Well, this is a dangerous space, right and this is a dangerous psychological stance because if I'm well, I try to be as honest as I can be, and in this conversation, in this moment, as honest as I can be. Is I've got at least fifty percent of the things wrong over the years, or I don't know what percent, But like even the things that I knew in inverted commas that I was right about nudge nudge, wink wink, so often I was a bit wrong, more wrong, or sometimes completely fucking wrong. And so you've got to get to the point, I think, to be honest and real and authentic, even in science, where you go this is what I was taught and told and trained to believe, and this is my current thinking, this is my current idea, this is my current philosophy or belief. But I could be wrong, because I've been wrong a bunch, you know, Because if you think that you whatever the topic is, if you think you've got all the knowledge and you're right, then you make it impossible to unlearn or to learn new things.
Speaker 2: And we've used that same before so many times. And one of the biggest things I learned going to Union was to unlearn what I knew, just wipe it just go nut, all right, and then use an analytical mind to go you know, all right, this is what I'm being taught. But I've done my own research and this is what I found. And I've tried this with people. An example that what we're just talking about protein content, how much proving should beating, which can go against let's say, some of these great minds in society, and you just go, well, understand that. But this is my analysis, this is my interpretation of the results and the science, and this is my opinion on this. Let's try it out, let's see if it works. And I don't know all the answers. I know that, and you know, the more you learn, the more you realize you need to learn, and the more you learn, the more you unlearned. So you can be better at what you do and have an open mind to be objective and go, here are the facts in front of me. This is what's going on. This person's had two meals a day and he feels amazing, fantastic. Accept it, don't fight it. Don't they go, oh, you're wrong. Listen mate, You're going to lose your hair. You're going to be as bald as me. If you don't have more than two meals a day, so you know it's yeah, it's been analytical and being open minded and being objective to the situation rather than learning emotion to get the way or ego. That's what I find has been a big thing with a lot of people that I've dealt with over the years, especially so let's say high end, let's say call them the doctors or whatever they want to call themselves, where you can test their views and say, hey, by the way, what if and they just shut you down. And so I'm trying to talk to you about I'm trying to have an open conversation, so I can't understand your thought process, but at the same time you understand mine and go maybe maybe it might be technically correct.
Speaker 1: I know exactly who you're talking about. I'm not going to say his name, but I know exactly who you're talking about because we've spoken about him, and fucking yeah, I don't want to. I wouldn't say his name and then fuck him, but you and me, no, yeah, But also you know, God bless him. I think the like the thing is that also, and we'll move on in a sect. But you know, when people go are that science. Well that even when me, who is a scientist and he's researching right now. And by the way, I'm not a very good scientist, everybody. It's just the fucking name they give you when you do a PhD. You're a research scientist, right, so that's the name you get. But the other day I saw a dude on speaking of people on Instagram. I saw a dude on Instagram and he was talking about It doesn't matter what he was talking about, but all this study that shows that this I think it was actually about nicotine. Anyway, it doesn't matter, but he was like espousing the virtues of this and that and blah blah. Might have been something else.
Speaker 2: I'm the one you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Exactly anyway, maybe, but anyway, I'm like, really, that doesn't. I'm like, that doesn't. Anyway, I went, I've got to find the research because what's coming out of his mouth doesn't. And I went and looked at it, and then I looked at the study. Well, the study was done in like it was like the equivalent of me doing the study in my fucking billiard room with five of my mates who were pissed. Right, It's like there were fourteen people in the trial, right, seven using whatever and seven plus I don't know, but the actual study design, right, So when in my research, right, anything that doesn't have at least one hundred participants is not respected, right in a lot of research anyway, So it had fourteen and seven of them were you you know? And then anyway, the bottom line is once I actually opened the door and I read the paper, and I'm like, well, this is this is the worst fucking science of all time. So I wouldn't I would not give this, you know, But if it happened to be great science, I'd go, all right, well I just learned something new. But I think this is the thing we need to be. You know. Just because someone says this is science, one, that doesn't mean it is science free start. And two, it doesn't mean that it's good science. And three it doesn't mean that there's not other science in inverted commas, which says that that's bullshit. I remember, I'm going to shut up after this, But when we were up on the highway at Harper's where you were fucking running the show, and I was just in the corner office like a did right when you were fucking captain of the kids. I have these two books in my office. One was called Protein Power and another one I can't remember the name, but they both basically taught the opposite thing, and they were all researched and referenced with science. I'm like, yeah, anyway, all right, I'm going to ask you a question. This is from Karen Ah Karen Karen Judge. Karen's question is why do experts Now, Karen, I don't think all experts do, but I agree with you that. And also I don't know that the people that you're talking about are experts, but they might call themselves experts. Anyway, The question is why do experts recommend highly processed snacks for young athletes? And I think you're right. I think some experts in inverted commas do do that. But I also put an asterisk next to that term pezzat. Oh hey, sorry, just there's a bit more. Why is it that young ath so it's fifteen years old plus or often encourage it highly processed foods like Carmens, Musley bars, protein bars, up and go, up and go. Fuck? Have you ever looked what's in that? Sugary snacks like snakes lollies before comp especially when they're packed with artificial ingredients added is blah blah blah. After all, many of these foods aren't considered real or whole foods, So why are they recommended? Ready set, Perry, get up on your high horse.
Speaker 2: Oh the love this one I've had? Yeah, the lovely classy, let's say, interesting and linnet discussion with so many sports dieticians because that's what usually comes from and as simple as this. They look at the science and go, we need to get a large amount of carbohydrates in really quick into this human body. Right, they're going to be sprinking, they're running whatever, and they go, right, the big long snake that's got fourteen different colors, is loaded now with ninety grams of carbohydrates. Gender danger's throat and go out there and run, little boy or little girl. And that's where this comes from. And you know, it just depends on which nutrition is sports diet tisian or diet tissian that you talk to, whether they will recommend that I go totally against that sort of stuff and look at different types of food to increase one carbohydrate content in the body, because carbohydrates are your main fuel source. That's what you need for readily expendable energy, energy, nothing else. So therefore, if I want to increase someone's carbohydrate content so they can get out there and do stuff, I would look at stuff like sweet potato, white potato. I would look at dosmai rice where for every one hundred grams there's seventy grams of carbohydrates. So they can have a beautiful carbo hydrate meal, have it warm so they can absorb into the body more effectively, so to get their carbs up rather than going to someone go and have two up and go run and then up and go to the toilet as well, because that's what's going to do to you. So why Unfortunately some of the experts look at it from one technical point and say, we need to get carbohydrates in. Let's look at the macro nutrient value of this food group. And I'd use the word food group very loosely because it's in a packet and it's processed, and it wasn't near two hundred years ago. But they go, this bar whatever it might be, might have fifty or sixty grams of carbohydrates. For the energy expenditure that's required for this activity might require that fifty or sixty grams of carbohydrates. This go do your activity bomb WARMU box is ticked.
Speaker 1: So we're looking there really at almost like a mathematical thing. Oh, they need sixty grams of this, so this has got sixty grams of that, But we're not factoring in the quality of the nutrition at all.
Speaker 2: Un percent correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so all right though here Devil's advocate. So I've just run ten k's as fucking if can't you do that every morning?
Speaker 2: Don't I?
Speaker 1: So if I'm lying, we may as well lie good. All right, I've just run twenty k's in I've just run twenty k's in eighty minutes, so four minute k's averaging fifteen klim It is an now, because I'm a fucking weapon and I get home. I get home and I don't feel like a meal, but I know I've got to get So am I better off to go rather than having cooked food which I don't feel like in the moment? Am I better off to go the pre mentioned banana or some fruit or something that's got both nutrition but also the carbs and sugar I need, or no hundred.
Speaker 2: Percent someone you'd look at, you'd look at let's say, what your energy requirements are for that race, what have you eaten before the race? And then what are you requiring the next four hours. Here's the interesting point. The next four hours to help your body replenish the carbohydrate sauce so that you're not sore, that you're muscle recovering. You feel better the next forty eight hours. So when we look at that, I would say to someone, you know, do you like pineapple? Have some pineapple? Do you like bananas? Have some bananas using in the shape. If you really want to crank it up, I'd put let's say a banana in there with some protein powder and even add some glucose powder in there to put it than to increase your carbohydrate intact, to make it as a drink so it gets in quite easily into your body and replenge you yourself. And this worry about an insulance spike and it's going to give you diabetes and all that. Yeah, that's your body's normal response. You will always have an insulince spike when you eat carbohydrates. It's normal. So while we worried about insulance spikes.
Speaker 1: Love it all, right, let's move on. I'm interested in this because I shove oats in my face. I've heard hang on before I ask you a specific question, I want to ask you a general question about oats. What are your thoughts about oats?
Speaker 2: I love them, absolutely love them, as long as they are a high quality oat. Right, So it comes from with say an organic farm whatever, or if you want to take it up because there's different processes involved. Have steel cutoats, which means the processing is less, there's not as process much. You've just been You've got the oats, they've been hold then they get milled down by still cut process and the origin. The only problem is with steel cutoats you need to prep them overnight, so you know, you put all your milk in there or your water, whatever you want to do. Let them soak overnight to the next day and you can eat them the next day.
Speaker 1: That's the sorry mate, Sorry what I mean. I've never heard that term until right now. Like I have rolled oats, which is just like the big I mean, it's like if you look at the size of your fingernail, depends they're like, my oats are about that big, which I don't know. That's a fucking stupid thing to say. I'm trying to. I'm trying to. Hey, everyone, look at your little fingernail. Of course, every fingernails are exactly the same size. I'm not a dickhead at all. So what are steel cut oats? Like? What do they? Where do I get them?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Are you saying no to the rolled oats? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, you can have roll those. So they've got three different processes, right, We've got the lowest process one other steel cutoats. It means you've got your men hole. They run through this your meals. I just mentioned like they're still precedent passion.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: That breaks them down your role thoughts. They exactly that process of the oats that have been rolled to get the kernels out, and they've been flattened out and then rolled thoats that have just been broken down even finer, so they can be absorbed easily, but they can be cooked faster as well. So then you're like, what do I call them two minute oats or whatever?
Speaker 1: It is? So okay, So can I tell you my breakfast? And I want you to give me an honest rating out of ten?
Speaker 2: Okay, like like how honest, honest.
Speaker 1: Honest if you think it's shit I want you to tell me it's shit.
Speaker 2: Not going to kick me off the podcast. Eh, yeah, I'll fuck you off.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about that. No, no, no, I want you to tell me what I'm probably not going to change because it seems to work for me. But this is what I have exactly. And again, apologies, but we're always got you know, some people have heard this, most haven't. We've always got NW listers on. So this is my breakfast. Eighty grams of rolled oats.
Speaker 2: Well to craik, let me just jump in. Is that pre cooked?
Speaker 1: Way? This is pre cooked? This is all like you're going to laugh at what I do, right, You're gonna laugh. This is very probably I'm probably fucking throwing myself under the bus and losing what little credibility I had with my listeners. So I have so you know, the what are the not the barmis what do you call it? The fucking m thing? You put it in neutrable neutrableet. Yeah, so this is what I do. I have my Neutrabullet I put it on my scales. Hang on, gets better. I put in eighty grams of rolldots. I put in forty grams of almonds. I put in forty grams of protein powder chocolate protein powder.
Speaker 2: Is there any way prone and isolate or concentrate.
Speaker 1: Ford? I know, I should know. Are you going to tell me concentrates better?
Speaker 2: Well, isolates better?
Speaker 1: I actually do think it's isolate. I think it's Max's. I'll give a shout out to Maxes. Again. There's lots of good protein powders everyone. I happen to use that. So forty grams of protein, forty grams of almonds, eighty grams of boats, so that's one hundred and sixty grams. Then I sh that shit up so it becomes basically powder, right, and then I put two dessert spoons of sillium husk on that, and I put all that shit in a bowl. And then this is probably where you're going to kick me in the dick and punch me in the face. I know that it's shit, but I use like fucking oat milk core, almond milk core, just because me and lactose aren't awesome. I could probably just have it with water. That's it. That's my breakfast. And to me, it's like a fucking yummy like chocolate moose. I mean, I know it's not, but it's and I eat the same thing every day.
Speaker 2: I'm going to suggest one change or not one change, one addition would be a better thing. As you're smiling and now your body language is changing, you're ready to be very I can see very defensive right now, actually getting cross eyed. And I've seen that look before. I remember that look at the Harpodrome, right when I dropped the waves off the leaf press. I still have not forgotten that day. I'm going to suggest that you add one small teaspoon of extra vergin olive oil to that, just get some good fats in there. You've got good fats from an almond. But I don't have to drive race or not. But olive oil is a Mega nine. Basically that's the most important companion of the olive oil. And Omega nine has so many benefits for the rest of your day to help you out. So you've got you've got your plato and in from your way, You've got your carbohydrates in from your oats. You've got good amount of carbohydrates. You've got a lot of fiber in that meal. You're getting calcium from your oat milk or whatever milk. You're having them.
Speaker 1: Is it the either almond milk or oat milk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I like what concerns memen. I've seen people milk and almond cow. That sort of scares me a little bit. But you're getting you're getting your calcium from there, which is fine. So it's a good start today. It's not too bad.
Speaker 1: Now. How much olive oil should I put in?
Speaker 2: That's a small tea spent five milk. I really even taste it. You will not even taste it yet. The benefits of that physiologically off the clock. Mate.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh fuck, I'm being very self indulgent now, all right, now, if I do all of that with my and yes I'm an only child, and yes I need approval, If I do all of that with olive oil, what score do you give me out of ten?
Speaker 2: If I give you a score out of ten as an only child that needs to.
Speaker 1: Get the miss no, no, no, no, I don't want that. I want the child is law. Mate.
Speaker 2: You're not the only one here that's an only child. All right, so I'm bouncing it back. I will give you an eight out of ten for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, good right, that'll do. Fuck, I'm all right with that because.
Speaker 2: I would flip the milk over and have real milk, but have lectose free milk. And then I would add a teaspoon of fish oil as well, so you get your omiga threes in there.
Speaker 1: So you're fucking disgusting. I'm not having a fish stick your fish ail up your clacker. And now before we move on to the next one, I just want to say, Lily Waterhouse, that all that stuff about oats, Lily, that was that was kind of for you and a little bit for me. Thank you for that. All right, Um, so this is from Andrea. Andrea says, I'm fifty five. I'm a lifetime yo yo dieter. That's a pretty big club that you're in, Andrea. I was in that for quite a while myself. I was the president of that club for a while. Spasmodic exercise it if I was wanting to begin to change my habits for health rather than to lose weight, what would be the one or two most important things? Oh wow, to begin with, I don't even know if I should have read that before, but Andrew, I did read it. I did read it, Andrew, and we're recording, so I can't unread it. But and the reason that I'm a little hesitant is because that's like saying, how long is a bit of string? But so I'm going to talk in broad generic terms and then Pezzy, you think about what you want to say while I'm waffling. So in broad terms, what matters most is that you find something this is what I think that's somewhere between pretty effective and perfect. Right. Obviously, if we're doing the wrong thing consistently, well that's not good. But as long as we're doing something that's you know, for the most part appropriate for you in terms of you know, your food or your sleep, or your whatever lifestyle variable or exercise, but also you are consistent with it. So if somebody said to me, I want to gain you know, heaps of muscle and I'm doing pilarates to achieve that, I would say Plartes is great, but that's not probably the ideal choice to build heaps of muscle. But I'd rather you do pilarates four days a week than body building for two weeks and then give up for two years. Right, So you know, because pilarates are still bidding strength and function and muscle right and bone density and all of those things. So the key is that we find something that is somewhere between pretty effective and really effective, and then that we are consistent with that. And I guess one of the ideas around that is, you know, like when I talk to people, in an ideal world, we'd all eat perfectly all the time. Well, none of us are perfect. None of us eat perfectly well very few people all the time. And I'm sure Perrier can't speak on your behalf correct me when I'm finished. But most of the time, when you are talking to people, or I'm talking to people, most of us we're probably saying something like eat well, train well most of the time, you know. And that's a kind of a practical approach. And at fifty five, Andrea, as we've said already multiple times, you know, fitness is not a thing. Fitness is a myriad of things. And under the banner of fitness is strength and flexibility and range of movement and balance and spatial awareness and muscular endurance and aerobic endurance and a whole bunch of things that really matter as we get older. As we get older, of course, strength aerobic fitnesses are important, as is balance, as is coordination. So there are a bunch of things that we can train as we get older, and even things like, you know, when you're doing the dishes, when you're drying the dishes or washing the dishes or whatever, waiting for a fucking bus, stand on one foot and then stand on the other foot. Just do things that you don't need to do, so you're now doing something that is reminiscent of maybe what you did when you were younger. One of my favorite sayings by George Bernard Shaw is, ah, we don't We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing. And I think that, you know, it's funny that I'm talking about this. I'll shut up after this, But I live. I walk all the time, as we've said before, and about four hundred meters from my house is a park with a basketball backboard and a basketball ring. And I made a little note to myself this morning as I walked past. I'm going to buy myself a basketball this week. Not because I want to become a basketballer, but I used to play basketball a lot. I used to shoot a lot, and I'm thinking how good would it be for my nervous system and my balance and my coordination and my dexterity, and for my fitness and for my brain, and for a bit of fucking fun to go out and shoot some hoops at sixty one. I don't need to be good at it. I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks. I don't give a fuck if I'm sixty one. But I can tell you what me doing something like that and reacting to the ball bouncing off the board at different angles, it's a really good thing to do. So I think a thing that we can all do, which is smart and also valuable is keep playing as we get older.
Speaker 2: Raga one hundred percent. And that's why I've gone back to doing my martial arts. I'm now doing hauptito and getting tried around and bashed and kicked in the head and gone, this is fun. I love it. So it's actually it's actually quite psychologically beneficial for me to actually switch off from the world, going there learning new skill, apply the skills that I used to know, and get my body flexible again, get it moving, get it reactive, get it doing what it needs to do, and then obviously fuel us off more effectively.
Speaker 1: So what is it? Sorry? What is hap keto?
Speaker 2: Pop Keto is a spin off of taekwondos, so Taypewondo is all about using legs. Hap keto is using legs, but it's all a very defensive sport, so it's risk locks, throws, takedowns, you know, choke out, spoking the eye, stuff like that. So a lot of fun. Yeah, it's quite interesting, different style of fighting, and my instructor is a little Filipino crazy guy, so we get along quite well, and I absolutely love it. It's been Yeah, I've been doing it now for the last four months and we're already graded twice and getting forward now to move forward onto my blue belt, because I've already got a skill set beforehand, so he admires that. And as long as I can do the throws and do the stuff he's taught me, then and I keep moving forward, which is great, amazing in regards to our lovely fifty five year old that's going through stuff, you know, asking about what's the best thing for your health? Well, you know, what is the best thing. It's very difficult to answer that, Like you said, how long is a piece of string? But what I would suggest, and it's been realistic in life, is using the eighty twenty rule. When it comes to nutrition and eighty percent of the time eat whole foods, simple as that. And then get someone to educate you and just sit down and have a bit of a chat with you to work out what your nutritional requirements are, what your cars fat and prodine requirements are, at your age, with your activity level. That's going to be designed to produce optimal health and well being that suits you as an individual as a person. And if you file the guidelines saying you know what you have to eat, and you've been educated, and if you file the eighty twenty ruling, you don't beat yourself up. If you have a pizza and a beer, for example, you'll live a happy and long life and you'll actually be able to stick to the eighty twenty rule and be successful. Because we find that we go to an extreme, let's say nutritional guidelines or diet or you know, a prodocol that you have to follow one hundred and ten percent, we usually find most of the time that everyone's just going to drop off the baandbag and then they beat themselves up and they go to the other extreme and just binge e crap. So we give some a little bit of flexibility and give them the guidance and the education more importantly, to understand why they're eating a banana, as we use the example before, and they understand the potassium, the fiber, the carbohydrate content, and therefore that's why they're eating the banana. Guess what they will want to eat a banana because they're know I'm just eating a bit of fruit. I'm eating something that's beneficial for my health and more being for the lifestyle that I've created now and the fact that I want to stay healthy and a fifty five lived to ninety five before we start to slow down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. A friend of mine, for probably the last twenty years, Monday to Friday he's like a fucking Olympic athlete like everything, trains, does martial arts like you you know, really good, naturally good athlete. And then Saturday Sunday is like a fucking pissed bloke at the pub. Now he's not really, but he basically Monday to Friday does not has no booze, know anything, eats really well, really well. And then on the weekend, I mean he doesn't go crazy, but he just doesn't abide by those rules. So if he has three beers and a pizza or five beers and a pizza. And and I actually saw him the other day, and I go, what happens on Sunday? Like you? He goes, you know, what if I cut loose on a Saturday? He goes, I actually hardly do anything on a Sunday because my body's so programmed to eating clean and that he can't go nuts for a whole weekend anyway. His body won't let him. So he goes, I might have one or maybe two meals, which you'd call in inverted commas bad. He goes, but you know, and he's I think he's a four meals a day guy. So what's that? Twenty meals through the week? And yeah, so what's that? Seven? Four is twenty eight meals a week, and of the twenty eight he might have two that are not great.
Speaker 2: But sorry, on I've got a friend of mine ing seckles, same situation. That's well, I'm smiling. He is actually rang me up and complaining. He goes, your new trition plan has screwed me over. I'm like, what do you mean? What's going on? I've lost weight, I've got more energy, I've put on muscle, and then I went out with my girlfriend. We went out to a restaurant and I ate the junk that I'd normally eat, and I got home and I was sick the next day and I was on the toilet that night. He goes, I hate you. I can't eat that food anymore. I'm like, I'm sorry, you get healthy now, I'm really really sorry.
Speaker 1: Hey, mate, you're agun. This has been fun. I did not expect that we would talk for so long, but I appreciate you. So how can people connect with you? Find you, follow you, and you know, pay you some dough to do what you do? Cool?
Speaker 2: If they want to have a catch up with me, they can go to my website, which is ninety nutrition ninety dot com dot au. If they want to send me an email and another one week in organize on one on one console, which I've been doing a lot of lately. It's info at M ninety dot com dot au. That's info at M ninety dot com dot au and more than Michael with forty eight hours, I'll always get back to you and organize the time slot so we can have a bit of a chat and the consult and decide which is the best direction for you to take for your health and will be perfect.
Speaker 1: Mate. I love you, appreciate you. We'll say goodbye affair, but I know you're going to do help some people. Now move some fucking sandbags or something.
Speaker 2: Thank you on the Queens. Then let's move some sandbags.
Speaker 1: That sounds like fun anyway. I'm glad that's you, not me. Let's talk soon. See you, buddy, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Love you. Go to crego catch a lot, abuty May