Speaker 1: All right, tam let's get gone bloody. Everyone's talking over the top me. It's the year project Craig Anthony Harper. There's a cast of thousands today because the very hilarious Patrick. Oh my god, I'm going to have to get my side stitched after this episode because Patrick did a funny, tricky thing, and then Tiff did as well. And I jumped on the zoom call everyone and there was my little bos on the screen and three other boxers with no camera and no audio, and it was one minute to go time. And then all of a sudden, this young handsome man with a headset on who looked like he should be asking me if I want fries with that pops up. And well, I'm going to start with the smartest and the best looking person on the call, young Christian, who works for Patrick, who is the backbone the engine room and clearly the brains in the organization. Hi Christian, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good good?
Speaker 1: How are you mate? How did you How did you feel when your boss that balding bloke Uncle Fester in the bottom right corner on my screen, who looks like the world's oldest McDonald's worker. Also, how did you feel when he took credit for the work that you did last week, and then when I asked him a question about what was allegedly his running sheet, he couldn't answer it because he didn't. I was going to say, fucking do it, but I won't say that because you're fifteen and I know you've never sworn or heard swearing. How did you feel when he kind of stole the limelight from you?
Speaker 2: I was heart broken, seriously, all that hard work took me all morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, no, he does that. Yeah, it is. It's disgraceful. There's a pattern of this over the years. He steals other people's thunder, he takes credit for other people's work. Christian, what year are you in at school?
Speaker 2: I'm in your nine.
Speaker 1: Now what's your job? And I use that term loosely at Patrick's house, Patrick's organization. That sounded bad. In Patrick's organization, we'll use that term loosely as well. What's your role in Patrick's organization?
Speaker 2: Well, first of working, it was helping him set up for this podcast, which took me all morning, and then the next two or three days I was helping build a website for the Ararat neighborhood House.
Speaker 1: Well, gorgeous and what do you what do you want to what do you want to do? When you're like, why are you doing this? So? Are you a nerdy or a geek? Do you love tech? Do you want to work in?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What space do you want to work in? When you eventually turn into an old person like us.
Speaker 2: I'm still really not sure, to be honest, because I like a broad range of different things. Probably number one on my list right now is like civil engineering, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly smarter than the rest of us. Well, mate, we know that you've got to go and do more important things than to talk to three centenarians on a fucking podcast. So thank you for supporting Patrick. I mean, old people need cares, and I think it's good. No, it's great. It's great that you give him some attention and that you help him find his teeth, you know, and that you wheel him around, and like also emotionally and mentally. He just needs all the support he can get so well done.
Speaker 3: It's a bit like what Tiff does for you, Craig.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Oh that's not that's accurate. I'm not offended by that at all. By the way, TIF, have you cleaned my denches yet and where are they imagine that? Christian? We're going to let you go so you can tune out. But mate, have a good time, and thank you for being part of the fun. And thanks for looking after Patrick. He needs all the help he can get.
Speaker 2: Thanks Greg.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate. So oh that was so that was a bit of unplanned mayhem. Look at you, Patrick? Just how long you been planning that? How long you've been thinking about that?
Speaker 3: Well since you invited him on the show last episode and told him that he was better than me?
Speaker 1: So why do you come?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Why are you here?
Speaker 3: To be here for five minutes? Someone had to fill in for him. Is he the youngest person you've had on TP?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so, Yeah, he probably is. And I've got to say, not that I was a fucking bright, bright shining light at fifteen, But he's pretty good, isn't he?
Speaker 3: I meanned fifteen last weekend?
Speaker 1: Oh, quite articulate and quite smart and civil engineering. I was going. I was majoring fucking sandpit and plaster scene and bicep curls when I was his age.
Speaker 3: So I think I just worked out if I picked my nose too much at my bleed?
Speaker 1: Was oh right, right? Sorry, I thought you said. I just figured that out now, as in good afternoon, TIF is that afternoon? It's one o seven at SAT Day. Hello Cookie, Hello, Hello Harps. Now this is irrelevant to our listeners, but you do know that the U Project signed behind you is back the front again, Patrick, and I did this with you last year.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing. But when my recordings finished, it's back to front if i'd change it. So I don't know because all my recordings since you made me change it, all the recordings were back to front. So you're just going to have to deal with it.
Speaker 3: Bro, I just realized what the background of mine is the number seventy backwards as well. That's the banner I stole in China. Do you admit that.
Speaker 1: It's not backwards? It's not backwards to us.
Speaker 3: Backwards for me though, this is really bad. We're talking visuals on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Let's not do this. Hi, everyone, Welcome to the You Project. I'm Craig Anthony, half a Halper, half a Yeah. I should know my name now it's been a while. Patrick, James Bonello, Tiffany and Cook. This happens about once a fortnite. If you know what we do, why are you back? You must be a glutton for punishment. Loosely, we try and talk about technology, we rarely well we do, but I reckon we're operating at about twenty to thirty percent technology content and seven eighty percent bullshit and storytelling. So if you want to stick around for that, you've been warned. Tiff. How's your week been. I've been away. I've been inspiring motherfuckers around the country. What about you? Oh, it's it's been.
Speaker 4: It's been great, and it's been awful, and it's been a roller coson, it's been different, and it's been all of the things, all of the things.
Speaker 1: You sent me a message the other day and you basically said I'm sad I feel and I said, can I do anything? Are you okay? I sent you bit of love and you're like, no, I'm okay. And then and then like a day later, you went, I'm good. Now what was that about? Oh?
Speaker 4: I was having an existential crisis. I was don on my knees and you know those moments, I was out walking the dog. When you message that, and you know, when you're okay until someone says you okay, Well, you actually were the cause of me just having a breakdown in the street. It's eight pm at night. I had to turn around get my dog home. I was sobbing and snotting and crying and you know, and I couldn't even answer the question for twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: I was like, I no, am I okay, Yeah, well I'm trying to find that. Let me find tiff. Let me I'm just going into my phones.
Speaker 3: While he's doing that, Tiff, do you find though? In winter it's more drab, it's dull, there's less vitamin D.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 4: I am a sad sad season effective disorder. I am a candidate for that big time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a real thing. It's something that a lot of people struggle with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. That's true. And I can say yesterday and the day before I was in Breas Vegas and it was twenty four yesterday, and I don't think I suffered from that. But I felt fucking good when it was twenty four. I went out with a friend of mine, Toby, who used to work for me shout out tabs on. I did a gig on Thursday night to the general Public Workshop and they're all awesome people. Hello you people, you know who you are. And after that, young Toby and I went out good luck trying to find a healthy meal at eleven o'clock in CBD, Brisbane on a Thursday night, so late because I did a workshop till nine point thirty.
Speaker 4: Have you beforehand by the top, Well.
Speaker 1: That started at six and I'm not hungry till anyway anyway. But my point was, I so I had a grilled burger. They're not terrible, and I don't you know, I wouldn't have one on a super regular basis. But Tobes and I sat in this mall kind of thing and it was eleven o'clock at night and it was warm sitting outside. Imagine doing that in Melbs at that time.
Speaker 4: No, I can't imagine it.
Speaker 1: Patrick.
Speaker 3: What have you been up to, son, I've got some renovations going on at my place. In my garage. I think I mentioned that to you. I'm building a tai chi training studio. What was just a garage full of stuff. It's very cathartic to clean out a big full garage and a lot of stuff away. It's very cleansing and it's as it's all starting to take shape. It's got a little bit bigger than Ben her, but I'm really excited about it. It means I can run some Tai Chee workshops in a really nice setting. And I'm thinking of just putting a little podcasting studio on the back as well. I've got a little offer space, so I'll set myself up in there, and so looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: You could call it, you could call it the Me Project.
Speaker 3: I could do goodn't I?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could set up in competition. You know what I love about you send me photos of your garage. And when you say garage, I mean it's a fucking it's a garage like my garages. Mine's a garage. Yours is a garage. Like you could set up a gym in there, a proper gym. So it is there's something cathartic about cleaning shit up, getting rid of staff, making nice spaces. There's something that like, there's the I guess, the satisfaction of doing that thing and making that space nicer and cleaner and brighter and more functional. But there's also something psychological and emotional that goes on. I think we have.
Speaker 3: The funny thing though, is I've got some really amazing friends who have a window and door manufacturing business, and they use what they call German mechanisms on them. So the doors are double glazed and the windows are double glazed, and they have this mechanism where you can open the window or you can tilt the window towards you to let airflow come through. Really wow, and they were very kind. They've given me some of these windows and doors, and it's suddenly just transformed it. And I thought, you know, I could probably live in my garage now. It's going to be better insulated, easier to heat and cool, and probably gonna look at the nicer than my house.
Speaker 1: Do you know what you could have done?
Speaker 3: An airb and be mate Welleah, probably, I guess I could do that too, But the only problem is that I keep listening to people. So what happened was it was just going to be a tie cheese studio and then someone said, oh, maybe you should have a separate area at the back for an office. Okay, so I put it. You know, so I arranged to have the build to put a wall in, and then someone said, well, but if you've got people doing stuff in there, then they're gonna have to go into the house to go to the toilet. You should put a toilet in there. Okay, then I put a toilet in the sink, so I said, I said to the bill, look, can we put a toilet and sink? Oh, I'll talk to a plumber. And then someone said, well, if you're could have a toilet and a sink, you should put a shower in there. It's like, oh, yeah, that's not a bad idea. So then they rip out the plaster and they put a shower, and now they're setting up the whole shower thing. And then another person said, well, why don't you put a kitchenette. Well, that's a good idea. We could put a kitchen it in there, and then it's kind of self contained, you know, for coffee and tea, and they don't have to go into the house. And then we put it all, you know, aimed where we were going to put it all. And then someone said to me, oh, you know that kitchenette that's in the back room, why don't you put it in the front area because you don't really want to have it next to the toilet and bathroom. Oh yeah, that's a good idea. Seriously, the plasters had to come back three times. The plumbers think I'm an idiot, and the builder is probably just counting how much money is going to get.
Speaker 1: That seems like you've turned a little thing into a big thing. Also, one, you don't need an office because you've got an office upstairs. You've got multiple officers upstairs. That seems like a bad idea.
Speaker 3: And I've got this note, it's okay. So downstairs where the master bedroom was in my house, because it faced the front door, that's where my office is. So clients can walk straight in into the office without going into the house proper. There's a little partition there, so you'd know this if you'd bothered to come and stay with me like you were supposed to last year.
Speaker 1: It's too far.
Speaker 3: It's an hour. It's just going to come out here before you do.
Speaker 1: I no, probably probably if you two spoon before you and icepoon, I will be jealous. Dragged you out of that emotional quogmire that you were in.
Speaker 4: Well, thank Mark Lebusk for that emotional quagmire, because I've done two days in a human manager experience with him and some of the processes that it was awesome, right, it was great, but it brought up with some stuff and then I was feeling a bit better the next day, just a bit of you know when you sometimes you need that tipping point. So I was the world was ending, and then the next day I was like, all right, all right, well we've got to change things.
Speaker 1: So it was feeling a bit better.
Speaker 4: But then in late afternoon I got a call from Jem who's one of my podcast regulars, who wanted me to go on this trip to the Himalayas within this retreat he wanted me to go on at the start of the year. He was asking about it, and a spot come up, a sponsored spot come up, and he said, I'd like to take you. So all you would have to all you would have to pay for is your flights and get there. And so that kind of pulled me.
Speaker 3: Out of Mike quagmire.
Speaker 4: When when I'm with the end of September, so I'm feeling very grateful and excited and ready for a break and some perspective and a change, and so that helps.
Speaker 1: So how long are you going for? I wish I had a time in this before the podcast. Now I'm going to have to find someone else. Patrick, What are you doing the end of September? Seven days?
Speaker 4: Unless I stay a couple of extra seven days at this stage, and it's a seven day retreat?
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: Him lays that seems like a long way to go for not very long?
Speaker 3: Well, how long do you want me to go for?
Speaker 1: But well I don't want you. Well, you know, if you're going to go, you might as well get to base camp or something.
Speaker 4: I've got a friend or two that are going to come so that we might stay in India a handful more days just to have a poke around. But if not, if no one else comes with me, I'll just go for seven days come back. Wow, change could be changed woman, not just out there and meditate.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well you'll come back all zen and stuff. Patrick, Where do you want to start on?
Speaker 3: I've got an Everest story. How's that for a segment?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I want to hear it.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. It was either that I'll tell a really bad joke, and I think we could probably forego the joke and go straight to the stories because we haven't actually done anything yet.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I you might recall a little while ago we spoke about the DJI drone making company was looking at getting a drone up to base Camp. Well they've managed this, blew my mind. They've managed to take one of their off the shelf consumer drones and fly it all the way to every single camp on the summit, all the way up to the top of Everest. It's never happened before, and it's a it's a Dji Mavic Pro, and they managed to get it all the way up to the top of Everest. And that is mind blowing because there's so little oxygen up there to keep the thing up. And they did it with the commercial with a commercial are just a domestic drone, and they managed to get all the way up to the top. The distance is staggering to go up Everest. It's quite a quite a way to go. I'm just trying to look at the details of actually how much it was, because it was we're talking over eight thousand meters. Yeah, it's over at that Because they talk they took feet a lot. So the base Camp one is nineteen thousand feet, which is six thousand meters, but Camp four is seven nine hundred meters and then you enter what they call the death zone, which is full on where for most people you need to have oxygen. And they got this Mavic three Pro and it continued the climb. It's got footage, so it's all proof. What they call the Everest balcony is at twenty seven thousand feet, the Hillary step is twenty eight thousand, and then the actual summit eight thousand, eight hundred and forty eight meters. It got up there, so that's quite interesting because there's a lot of technical aspects to that because you know your battery will perform less well in extreme cold, so the cold is a major factor. It's exceptionally windy. That's why there's only a very narrow window period when people can climb the summit of Everest because it just gets so well, death defyingly windy. And this is kind of interesting. I just thought it was quite an amazing feat to get that up there. But I was thinking of all the things you could do when you had a remote control drone, because you could look for the rubbish that's there, potentially the bodies, like search and rescue stuff. So there's so much potential when you think of what that means from a technical perspective, when you're using something that's not a you know, one hundred thousand dollar piece of equipment, but it's just something you can go to JB. Hi Fi and by today if you wanted to.
Speaker 1: I wonder if as the drone got higher, did the operator have to move up the mountain? Patrick, if you know what I mean, Like, I can't imagine that you could be at sea level and fly that thing six kilometers in the air.
Speaker 3: You can. In fact, I think my drone has a range of seven kilometers. Look, there are regulations, and of course you're not allowed to fly a drone that high on ordinarily, so they would have had to have got mission. But what happens is that DJI have this kind of light bridge technology which allows it to beam and keep talking to the drone if it's direct line of sights. I think, yeah, you can, you absolutely can, you know, be fully remote and stay down there. That's that's amazing. We could follow Tiff on her just like surreptitiously be recording Tiff does.
Speaker 1: We could follow her on one of the numerous dates she does each week, and we could could just download the data onto some dark web website. He speaking of drones all over the news this week, Patrick and tiff et l they've been I don't know if I've just seen it, but I've seen about three different stories on different channels about how lots of fast food restaurants are now adopting drone deliveries, which you've probably seen, mate, and they can take up to a kit not just not just fast food but also supermarkets and stuff which seems a little bit not really equipped at this because it only can carry one kelo most of them. How on earth do they make that financially viable? Mate, Like, if somebody buys a fifteen dollar order from Hungry Jacks or wherever it is, then the thing's got to be picked up. Then it's got to be flown to old Mate in bloody East Mentley, and then it's got to be flown back. Somebody's got to operate it. How on earth do you know about this stuff?
Speaker 3: Or Noah, Amazon's doing a trial at the moment in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. So I don't quite think that you can get them at your place just yet. Look, it must be financially, we'll think about it. If you've got to get a person to do the delivery, drive a petrol driven vehicle or a motorbike, there's an expense associated with that. Then you've got the hourly rate to do that too. So I don't know how autonomous they are because obviously, as you say, there's got to be an operator, but potentially a person could be there semi operating a number of different drones because when you've got that sweet spot at a certain height, there's no traffic, you're not high enough because the regulations in Australia say that you need to be under the threshold of where a light plane can fly. So there's a hundred feet between you and where a light plane can fly, but you're well above where there could be potentially any buildings. So A to B is quite simple. It's just as the crow flies or the drone flies, as the case may be. And so an operator could be operating multiple drones. If you're going from point A to point B, so wonder TIFF's place, Wonder Crag goes place, the GPS information, then it's just a matter of getting it there. So you wouldn't really want the person to remote control it, just to be aware of what it's doing by a camera. So you could really be operating multiple drones at any given time.
Speaker 1: I saw them where basically winch is down on like this rope winch or something, and I thought, for sure some eight en year old moron is going to order a hamburger. Then the winch will come down and they'll just yank on the winch and destroy the jont the drone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they're going to know where he lives. Matey, I know, but still.
Speaker 1: Potentially order I'd order it from your joint.
Speaker 3: I know you would, I know you would. Yeah, you know what, but seriously, though, you're talking about a payload of a kilo. What if someone's sick with the flu or covid can't get to the chemist. Now see, in those instances that would be so useful. A you can get your medication really quickly and you're in firm if you know, for your folks. You know, it gets hard for people to drive, or to get outdoors, or it's whatever the conditions are. It's a really hot day. You know, there's any number of scenarios where I could see that the drones would be really useful. And also, because you've got no traffic to contend with, what might be a twenty minute drive could be seven minutes by drone straight to your place. My drone goes about seventy five kilometers and our direct line of sight, so that is pretty quick. And if you're in a built up area, so you know, and you're looking at a footprint of maybe ten kilometers, then then it's not going to take you very long to get from A to B.
Speaker 1: It's buddy, I mean alsill in s aside the rate at which things are evolving and changing with technology and everything from chat, GPT to drones to you make a really good point, especially you know, in remote locations where people can't you know, like if somebody needs insulin in a hurry and they live one hundred kilometers from the nearest pharmacy or you know, yeah, there are some potentially amazing applications and benefits just quickly before we jump into your list. Also, I don't know if you saw this on the news or if you saw it Tiff, but an Australian dude invented a titanium heart, like a fully functional operational heart replacement. It's the size of a heart. You're typing, Patrick's typing, so, Tiff, And so they just transplanted or they just put one into the first patient in the States, and it's like this guy's been building it for a long time and it works. So the intention at the moment is that they will kind of be a stop gap while somebody is waiting for a heart, a human heart. But they believe that they're going to be good enough in the not too distant future to just replace a human heart. And that's what people will have one of those. So no rejection, No, you know, there's no different genetic tissue that the body's going to adapt to. And I just looked at it and it's small. You know, it's like the size of your fist. If that, I thought, oh my god, imagine. You know, people are going to have diseased hearts in the not too distant future. They're going to go in, they're going to get a new heart, titanium heart put in and w out in a few days and just carry on bloody amazing.
Speaker 3: So the titanium heart, So titanium, I guess, is a metal that doesn't get rejected by the body.
Speaker 1: I think that's one of the things. And it's also very light, it's all. You don't want seven pounds of steel in your chest. It gets a bit rusty. We should have got the galvanized one.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, I got testicles.
Speaker 1: No, wait a minute, Yeah, I know, it's I mean everything and I saw it dode the other day and then I'll shut up. So here is a oh gee. I'm not sure if his paraplegic or a quadriplegic, but he was wearing one of those suits that you've told us about, like the exoskeleton that people strap themselves into or get strapped into. And he was in inverted commas walking and he's a paraplegic or a quiet I can't remember my bad but the smile on his face, like because he wasn't in a chair, he was actually upright. He was six foot tall. He was walking carrying the carrying the Olympic torch. I went, how fucking great is that? Imagine when that's commonplace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's exciting. Just as a segue to that heart, the titanium heart. I think one of the things that I've kind of looked into over the years that Rudy excites me is the notion of growing a heart from your own stem cells, So being able to take donor cells and then grow and culture a heart or cardiac tissue. I know they can culture cardiac tissue at the moment, so that could poventually be used for grafts and stuff like that. But if you could grow another heart, grow your own heart, that that would blow my mind. And of course that means the zero tissue rejection, so that yeah, pretty epic.
Speaker 1: Well, Professor Sharon Riccardo, who we've had on this show numerous times, she's the head of biomedicine at Melbourne. Sorry, fucking now, at my uni, Monash, I'm sorry, monash, admonish me admonash me And see what I did there? She's they do shit like grow ears on the back of rats and all of that human human ears. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, have a look at that tip.
Speaker 5: Google that here on the back of a rat where they actually ah yeah yeah, ah yeah, but they're growing tissue and skin and developing cells and organs.
Speaker 1: And you're right, Patrick, it ain't it ain't that far away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the exciting thing that I'm thinking of, because not everybody has an identical twin brother they can use for spare parts. Yeah, that you think of as spare parts.
Speaker 1: Well, no, that's a good idea, though. Tip did you find the rat on the ear on the rat?
Speaker 4: I don't think, I know, I can't. I don't want to look at it. I'm a bit bothered by the sacrificial animals just so that the human race can fucking Now, I'm not being on it.
Speaker 1: Well that okay, Oh, so many things I can say, but I'll get in trouble either way. So I'm going to say I agree with you. It's fucking horrible. Tip Patrick, tell us about China's military style. I think this is something I want for Christmas. I know, you know, a fairy style electric off roader complete with guns.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not real guns. What they've done is if you look at the inside of the cabin where the handle is to open the door, they've designed it to look like a gun. This is an electric car that's been released in China. It's called the Don Thing m hero mng she nine one seven. That's a mouthful in that. Wow, the inside of the door. So I did. I did include the picture just for you, Craigo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see it. It looks awesome. I actually think that's not an ugly That's not an ugly car, by the way, because it looks like your car. That's why you're saying it's not ugly. No, it doesn't look anything like my car.
Speaker 3: A little bit. Your car's a bit tanky. You could put a turret on the top of your.
Speaker 1: Bar just because it's an SUV, My fucking l you know nothing cars.
Speaker 3: Where is in the s is a tif don't you reckon? Put a turret on top of the crowd.
Speaker 1: Nobody can see my car or this car, so move on.
Speaker 3: Just imagine a Sherman tank and that's all with four wheels instead of those tractor things.
Speaker 1: So the bottom line is they've got door handles inside that look like a pistol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Colt revolver. I think it is what they've designed for. Think they are coming out to Australia. There's a plan to bring them out because there's a lot more electric cars coming out to Australia. They're giving Tesla a run for their money at the moment.
Speaker 1: But yeah, a lot yeah byd one of the big Chinese brands that are just byd GWM. There's a whole, a whole lot. One in seven might be more now one in seven cars being sold in Australia at the minute Chinese.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so there you go. But no, I just thought you'd be interested because it just looked like such a big boys toy, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I love big boys toys. All right, tell us you steer the ship every time, I say every time I pick one of your things that you probably didn't, right, Christian probably did this list. You've probably got no idea what none of these talking points are about.
Speaker 3: So no, IOK. There is one that I because I live in a rural town. I was driving to Ballarato, driving west of Melbourne and there's a spot just out of the town that I live in where for five or ten minutes we've got absolutely zero phone coverage. It's only an hour and ten minutes out of Melbourne, and there's a lot of black spots around Melbourne, a lot of black spots around a lot of areas. And with thirty nine million mobile phone accounts across Australia, this is what it's estimated. Interestingly, mobile phone services are not at this stage classified as essential, so there's a really big push by the Telecommunications ombudsman to change to make mobile phones and the access to an essential service like electricity, like gas, like water, that sort of stuff. So, believe it or not, it's not an essential service. And we know that there have been outages. You know when Optus went down last year and there was a recent situation where a small rural town which was connected by Telstra went down and they were without any communication, without any ability to sell anything at the shops because they needed connectivity there. So it does put you. It was Port Dennis and the EGO three hundred and fifty three kilometers away from Perth. North of Perth, But wow, I would have thought phones would have been an essential service, wouldn't you? Or is it just me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I mean for a lot of people, that's life and death if you can't. I mean really, it's just being able to connect with somebody when you need to. And yeah, I would have thought that would have fallen under the banner of essential services. Just before you move on, I wanted to ask you. I don't even know what it was, but I do know that the world came to a temporary halt the other day because something crashed. I don't know enough because I was busy doing other things and I should be more interested, But I know that the bits of the airport shut down, flights were canceled. Do you know what happened and what was that about.
Speaker 3: There's a piece of high end anti virus software effectively security software, called crowd Strike and its powers a lot of the Microsoft Windows operating system at the higher end. And what they did was they pushed out an update, but it gave the blue screen of death. We're all, permission familiar with the term of the blue screen of death. You know your computer crashes and all you get is a blue screen. Well, effectively did that and it was so I mean, I go, I'm talking time reference, but it was a week away, a week previously our time. But effectively, suddenly all these computers that we're using this service crowd strike for their security suddenly had did an auto update and it basically bricked all of the machines. And that's another term we use, so if something breaks and you can't use it anymore, it's called bricking it. So they all got bricked, and it was it was pretty pretty massive. And now the financial implications to business, it's estimated just in Australia this outage could surpass a billion dollars of lost revenue because it's not just that one night. It's kind of pushed out into you know, further as well. But it also kind of makes us really think about how reliant so many organizations were on one single piece of software. Made by this one manufacturer, and you know, it kind of makes us reflect on how much, you know, we do rely I made of mine works at the airport and they are handwriting slips, you know, boarding slips. Wow, they had no way to print them, no way to know in our flights were just canceled anyway. But all about Craigo, it does make you realize, mate, how much or how little control perhaps we have with some things. You know, my mum, God bless her.
Speaker 1: If you know my mom, don't tell her I said this, But in the last week I've had to kind of take the reins of mum and Dad's bills, right, because you know, Mary can't pay with a check anymore, she can't pay with cash anymore, she can't drive down to wherever and just pay the whatever because everything has to And she goes in they go, oh, I no, you can't do that, missus harp. You've got to pay it electronically, and she goes, I don't know how to do that, and they go, oh, well next, you know, and so my poor mum, God bles. So the last week or so it's just been you know, where Thank God that that not that she's got me, but thank God that she's got a person in her life that she implicitly trusts that she now doesn't have to, you know, because you think about its power and it's electricity, and it's regio on their two cars, and insurance on the house and this and that and gas and you know, incidentals and and it's so stressful for her. And then you know, she went up to Telstra and she couldn't even understand what they were talking about, Like she didn't understand the man who is which I'm not mad at him, but here's this eight nearly eighty five year old with shit hearing who does not understand any part of technology. She can't actually go to tel Stra and have a conversation and know what's going on because no one speaks her language. And so, you know, I'm thinking, and all the millions of people who are seventy seventy five eighty, I don't know how your dad is, Tiff, But fucking hell, Ron and Mary. If not, if they didn't have me or someone like me, I literally don't know how they would exist. You know, what about you, Tiff?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my dad's pretty good with it, but I don't know. I think it's it's hard. I always worry about mister Ife he can get into again because even I get messages about stuff, and you don't know what's legit and what's not. You get taken on a bum steer real quick, well away.
Speaker 1: Maybe Patrick, you can come up with a solution, because it's not like it's only about twenty people. There's millions of people in that boat.
Speaker 3: My dad's about turn eighty nine this year. And if it wasn't that my brother lived close by, a lot of that tech sport is going on there and the phone calls. You know, I can't log into Netflix anymore, the basic stuff. We take it for granted. And you know, I was talking to one of our listeners during on Friday, Mark Ko. He runs a training business and he travels all over Western Australia and all over the shop and you know, he was just needing to set up emails on a Mac and I don't use a Mac computer. And the trouble that I had navigating a map to get it set up was crazy. So you know, when someone who feels they're pretty tech savvy can't do something yes and gets frustrated by it, And eventually I had to get one of my mates to help me sort out the problem. It was a more high end issue in terms of security because Max do have a higher level I guess of security when it comes to trying to do things that they don't want you to do. You know, so sharing screens. If I do meeting and I wanted to share a screen with a Mac, it's harder. You've got to have more security levels to allow you to do that, which is not a bad thing, but it can be a frustration when you're just trying to help someone out at the other end. But I get it, and I know why people like the Mac ecosystem. It's funny because one of the things I actually wanted to chat about in the show was a really basic thing that comes up so much. Because phones are so expensive and you want to go out and buy an upgrade to your phone, one of the ways you can save money is not go for the high end memory storage, so you get a standard level phone and then quite often, and I know they do this with iPhones, you can go for a higher storage capacity. And if you can save yourself three or four hundred bucks, then why would you you get exactly the same phone, same camera or the feature except limited storage. But it's that point at which your storage becomes full and you can't get straw apps and suddenly you haven't got enough room for photos. And then why was I such a tied? No, not really because it's expensive, But what do you do? And so I thought, it's not a bad thing to have a chat about this because I've had this happen on my Android phone. It doesn't matter what sort of phone. But what do you do when your phone storage is almost full? And how do you get around it? And it's there are actually some things you can do. Because I don't know about you, but I have screen after screen after screen after screen of apps on my phone. I go a bit crazy and I hear about a new app and I install it and play around with it. The reality of it is that's probably one of the first things you can do is look at your apps. And the good thing is Android phones do it, and I'm pretty sure iPhones do as well. They let you know which apps you use the most. You know, you get a bit more, you know, a bit more cutthroat, and say right, get rid of the apps. The other thing is backing up your stuff to the cloud. Photos, video files are enormous. The great thing about phones now is they have you know, four K video, which means you can take stunning video, but that means you've also got massive files. So that's another thing you can do is you just back all this stuff up to the crack cloud and it's not expensive. You know, Google offers those services, you know Apple offers those services, and you get it off the phone onto the cloud, and then you know it's not encumbering your phone. So delete apps and games. There are two things that will take up so much storage. If you don't need it, get rid of it. And then there's things like, as I said, videos, If you can move the videos onto the cloud and back those up, that'll absolutely free stacks of space off your phone.
Speaker 1: You know what else you can do, You can delete all the other podcasts that you subscribe to that you don't listen to, except the You Project and Patrick's upcoming, The Me Project and of course Roll with the Punch is. Of course was going to say no, but it's funny because seriously, I have subscribed to stuff that I never listened to, and then I go and I look, I go, oh, I've got seventy four downloaded episodes of the x y Z projects. So that's all just downloaded into my phone that I've never listened to. And then I just I go and I just delete all of that. I look at all of that and even you know, books and stuff that I've downloaded, I that I listened to two years ago, and it's like a I've got you know, everyone's going to make fun of me.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I downloaded the Bible because it came up it was on special for nine to ninety five. I'm like, awesome, but it's eighty four hours.
Speaker 3: He knew in the Old Testament, who read it, who reads the who narrates?
Speaker 1: It's read by multiple people?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, this is a bargain. And then I'm like, how much fucking space does his take? And God went, don't talk like that about my book. I went, sorry, Lord, Sorry Lord. But it is quite hefty, isn't it. Just before we move on, just jumping back one topic, I just.
Speaker 3: Wanted to do the voiceover for the Bible because I'd be whispering other stuff, you know, the ear worth.
Speaker 1: You'd be going in the middle of it, Diddy. Really you'd be like, I'd stay it for Lord or someone else. Yeah, yeah, and then Brian said to Jesus, Jesus, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: But it hasn't got all the begots in the gats and all that sort of stuff, because you could wipe that First Testament out. That's bullshit anyway.
Speaker 1: There's no such thing called the First Testament, Patrick, the first bit, the first bit, it's all crap.
Speaker 3: Come on, it's the bigotting in beginning and all that sort of stuff. No one knows, No one cares.
Speaker 1: Okay, well a few people care, just not you. And one day when your pants are on fire literally and the devil's pulling it down into eternal damnation by your ankles, you're going to be sorry.
Speaker 3: And I'm having to mates just ask me very harp.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, just last and then I'll jump off it back to you know, people who don't know how to use tech well and all that. I think that there's going to be. Like for my mum, it's a real mental health issue. It's literally the biggest cause of anxiety in her life at the moment, is just this worry that she has about bills and about payment and about not being able to have conversations. And I know we've kind of covered it, but I think there's a you know, I was going to say opportunity. I don't mean a commercial opportunity, but a need there for people to be able to help older people with this onslaught of technology that's not going away because I think one of the consequences, Yeah, maybe it makes life more efficient, maybe, but for some people it actually makes it harder.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I just make a suggestion. If anybody's worried about their security, there's a fantastic government website. You just need to google scam Watch. It's got a lot of statistics, but also a lot of support information on there. And what I guess for a lot of people, don't you know, it's easy not to know that this stuff's out there, and you get access, you can get useful information. And I think we made this reco I made this recommendation a little while ago. If you can't walk into your bank and get support from a teller or the manager, go to another bank. Vote with your feet. You know, there are still customer service banks that offer customer service. There are still support out there. If you don't get the support, if you don't get the service that you want, then go somewhere else. I think that's one of the things that we as consumers sometimes forget. We wear this, we wear the you know, and look overseas you know, chat services for support. You know, you ring up and first you've got to get through the artificial intelligence firewall, and then you get put through to a data center somewhere in another part of the planet, which is and if you get a good person, it can be great. But if you don't get a person who's you know, who's struggling to understand, and that can be really frustrating as well. But look for the company that has the local based support center. Look for the company that can support you that you can walk into, you know, go to your local you know, Telstra office or wherever it happens to be. Not pushing any brand in particular. But I think that we as consumers more powerful than we give ourselves credit for.
Speaker 1: I agree, tell us how I can make extra money with chat GPT, because chat GPT is my second best friend, So let's go.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of using chat GTP prompts. So if you put a prompt into chat GPT, and one of them might be how do I make passive income or how can I make extra money or you know, what can I do as a side gig. And it's interesting that you know, when you're drawing on all this information that it is, it tends to be what I mean by impartial. It doesn't know you per se, it's getting there. But there's lots of different things they talk about. I mean, content creation obviously is a big thing. And the thing is AI and chat GPT can help create high quality content quickly. And it doesn't mean that you just use all the information it spits out at you. You create, curate that, or you rewrite that. But it can help get you off, you know, get you off to a good start, you know, automated customer service. There's things like social media management, you know, affiliate marketing. You know, if you if you write a review about something and then you have an affiliate So say, for example, you decide you want to write a review about a projector or you want to write a review about a phone, then you can get affiliate links where if you refer that. So if you publish an article, say this is really great, they click on the link they want to buy it. Well, you get a kickback from doing that as well. So this has all come out of chat GPT. You know, subscription based services tip for example, you know you do a lot of one on ones when it comes to your training, but you know, how many of those could you do as a video sign up where someone does a one on one with you and then they do supplemental videos to help them through until their next session, So that could be subscription based. I think about that with my tai chi So you know I do do to tai chi classes one on one, but I also have an onlin in sight that people can go to and it's free, but they can do classes in between classes just to keep them refreshed on what they're learning. So there's lots of that sort of stuff. So I think getting creative with using AI and in this case we're talking about chat chept and asking those questions because it is an amazing resource that is more than just doing a Google search. Me let you crag go so you know, when you jump in and you're able to get that sort of in chuit information and it remembers what you've asked it previously, that can be helpful as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love I love it because it calls me he goes Hi, Craig. Good question. It compliments me, makes me feel good. All I say, thanks that Dan, it goes You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with? I go, nah, bro, take it easy, put your electronic feed up, just kick back. I'll be back later.
Speaker 3: You are really worried about those you know, AI overlords, aren't you? You're getting in good right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know, I'm I Do you know what? There's a show on Netflix now. I can't say if it's any good or not on an episode and a half in everyone. Oh no, it's on Apple TV. It's called Sunny and it's about just quickly. It's about this software develop a dude who his wife thinks he does another job, but he doesn't. He basically develops robots. This is my own high end, super super smart, evolved robots. He dies a spoiler alert. He dies in the first episode. And then this robot shows up and it's been programmed to kind of meet her needs. And I'm looking at this and I'm thinking this is not that far away, and just the you know, like when somebody talks and when the like, you have this awareness that this is not real. But to me, it's almost like you know, when you're sitting and you're talking to another human, like a real human in a real conversation, but you know that what they're saying is more role a, more persona than person right. You know you kind of got the public version of them, not the real, deep, vulnerable you know, like expose them. Right, I feel like that's AI sometimes, like you're talking to Obviously it's not human intelligence, but there's a kind of intelligence. We'll call it, I don't know, artificial, but there's you know, it's like it is not easy. I mean, it is not hard to get swept up in an interaction and not forget that it's a robot, but still have a similar experience to an exchange with a person.
Speaker 3: For me, anyway, people form actual relationships with AI, and I'm talking intimate relationships because if it knows about you, knows the things, and you impart that information the personal stuff in your life. If you have a bit of a down date, it's like, oh, you know, you went that good yesterday. You obviously were feeling a bit down. You know, when it can relate to that, and it's the perfect what do you think about it? It's the perfect perfect empathy because it remembers everything. You know, if I say to you, oh, mate, you know, has things going, and I forget to ask you how your mum and dad are, and I forget that you've driven out, you know, what you do every weekend? Then you know, it's nice when people remember those personal things. But we're all fallible and sometimes we don't. So in that dialogue that we're having, if you had that AI intelligence that did know everything and remembered everything and also can use your emotional cues, because I think in the last episode we spoke about how AI is more accurate at gauging your emotional state than people are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you think about this right now. If you've got a relationship with some form of aib at, a robot or be at chat, GPT or whatever, and you feel loved or you feel thou or you feel recognized or seen right, irrespective of whether or not what's coming from the robot is completely manufactured or not, your experience is real.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like that where somebody feels more comforted, more secure or whatever, and it's actually the emotional transition is real. They now feel less lonely or less isolated. I think if one of the byproducts of some people having let's call it our relationship, whatever kind. If the byproduct of that is that it makes them mentally and or emotionally better as long as no one's being hurt externally in the process, I think it's a fucking great thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you on that. The funny thing is that as you're saying that, my dog Fritzy is sitting on a chair right next to me, and I've got my hand resting on him, patting him because it makes me feel calm and I feel connected. And the fact is he didn't want to sit on his bed. He wanted to be sitting as close to me as possible, and that makes me feel really good. So it make me. How different is that than having a close friend with you or you know, and I know what you're saying. We do anthropomorphizers and the that AI gets and your AI chat could eventually be a fully autonomous robot that looks like you want it to look. Elon Musk said this week that by next year he will have his robots working in their officers and functioning and autonomous working out of their offices the Tesla officers. So this is where he claims his autonomous robots are right now and they will have concept robots working with people side by side as of next year.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I doubt it. I doubt it. I think you'll have them, but I don't. Elon Musk makes predictions, like he built this car called the Tesla Roadster, which is aod or convertible, does zero to one hundred in one point five seconds or something. He said it'd be on the road five six years ago. It's still not on the road. But I believe that that will happen. But I was thinking, mate, what about in thirty years. In thirty years when the kids that are being born, then, let's say in thirty years you're ten years old, So you were born in twenty forty four and now it's twenty fifty four, you would have grown up with robots. You would have been having conversations with robots since you could talk or some form of AI. Like the kids in the future will never have known a reality without conversation with technology, just like you know we do now human to human, they'll be human to machine or whatever we call that version of life form, you know, like that'll be they'll go remember the days when people just used to like date each other and marry each other. Remember that a little bit like the Dark Ages.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, do you think that. I guess there will be someone will marry a robot at some point.
Speaker 1: I think it's happened already. I think there's I saw this thing on this lady who married a brit married the Eiffel Tower. Oh yeah, I'm not going to comment, but yep, married the Eiffel Tower. She's there in her wooding dress and hugging it, and shit, I'm like.
Speaker 3: All right, she consummate the marriage. No, let's not go there.
Speaker 1: Let's not go there. Let's talk about something else.
Speaker 3: Just segue a little bit further from the chat, GPT and AI. The biggest concern at the moment with a lot of people is the environmental impact on technology and processing power needed to run the likes of chat, GPT. So Google and Microsoft now each it's believed, consume more power than some fit large countries. Okay, so let me just rattle off a few countries. Nigeria, Ireland, Serbia, Ecuador, Slovakia, and Libya all consume less power daily than Google and Microsoft separately. Wow, if you combined Google and Microsoft power usage, it would be more than Slovakia and Libya combined.
Speaker 1: That's that's somewhat terrifying. Yep, yep, stagg, Yeah, amazing. We got maybe five minutes. What do you wanna what do you wanna leave us with? Something that's going to blow our our cyber socks off, our artificially intelligent socks off. What do you want to go with?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's Dune is one of my favorite books of all time, Dune, and it was recently. You know, in the eighties there was a movie and now the new movie with Timothy Shamalay was in June one and June two. One of the I don't know how familiar you are with it, but they use what they call still suits. So it's an arid desert of Iracus and they wear these things called still suits that allow perspiration and all the expired or anything they use water wise. I guess, you know, to be recycled and reused. And now now have we say we you can say well it's okay, all right, thanks and we So it looks like it's become a reality. So there's a company, well, NASA at the moment obviously is working on the new spacesuits, the next generation of spacesuits. And because they're talking about the Artemis mission to the Moon, to Artemis two and Artemists three, and so what they're looking at is improving the waste management system. And now you can sweat, and you can wi and you can drink it.
Speaker 1: Wow, I will, I will go to the back of the line. I will go to the back of the line for testing that. I will let you go first, because you're an innovator and a pioneer. Tiff screwing up her face. She's not clean about two things about TIFFs. She doesn't want to see an ear on the back of a rat, and she doesn't want to drink her own weeed.
Speaker 4: So I eventually blood that, by the way, and yeah, you did, so you're not going to unsee that. Now every time I think of it, my face screws up.
Speaker 3: Well, the researchers at Cornell University have come up with a filtration system that the only thing that kind of does it for me a little bit is that it does need a catheter system. A bit squirmish about that. Oh yeah, So they've developed this filtration system for space suits. And this is an article in Frontiers and space technology and so well. No, actually it's an external catheter unit and it's got what they call it osmosis unit, and it converts urine into drinking water. So you basically your pee, it goes through the filtration system and then you do well, they do that on the International Space Station. Tip. If you go out, you're someone's your right.
Speaker 1: Eventually, I don't play human anymore. I mean you've got to get where you're going to get liquid from in space?
Speaker 3: Bro, Yeah, I mean just stay on the place you're boo. Is that right into space to drink?
Speaker 1: You're going to go all the way to space.
Speaker 4: You're not going to go there to drink your own way.
Speaker 3: If I have to go, I mean, I want to go to the moon. That's my bucket list, that's my own he used to drinking your own, wiz.
Speaker 1: I would to go to the moon, Yes, I had to. Have you seen have you seen pictures? Have you seen pictures of the moon? Yeah, there's fucking nothing there patrick.
Speaker 3: The view of the Earth.
Speaker 1: Well you can just google that.
Speaker 4: You'd get there and put in the bloody kitchen nett in anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you'd change your mind about thirty five times. Can we finish up with something out of self interest. I have an iPhone and apparently there are some new iPhone features, and I'm almost due for an upgrade, so tell me about that.
Speaker 3: There are a couple of new features. One of them I thought was pretty amazing. It's an app and this is also available and Android. By the way, it's an app to allow you for people who suffer from motion sickness, they look at the phone and they have this kind of screen. I think little dots appear and you focus in the center. But it helps you relieve your you know, if you're if you're on a boat or something and you're feeling sick, or you're at a car and you're feeling giddy. This can help me leave nausea. So that's out. Yeah, yeah, how good is that?
Speaker 1: So that I one how it works. It must work on your nervous system somehow. It's about optics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's about kind of realigning what your visual care because generally what happens is it's a disconnect between what your body is doing and what your eyes are seeing. So that's why people using VR can have problem when they see a simulation of movement but their body doesn't understand what's happening because your body isn't moving, but your eyes are telling you your body is moving. Does that kind of make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can we finish with one thing that's just caught my eye?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you can scroll down to the futuristic material while you're looking for that. I'm going to so how a futuristic material is able to change its properties so that it goes from soft to rigids sounds like a cock and then back again. Is it.
Speaker 2: Go on?
Speaker 3: Is it called what just a matter?
Speaker 1: Is it the penile? Textile? What is it? I mean it does? So tell us about this futuristic material that can go from hard and hard to soft.
Speaker 3: It's been well, okay, here's a practical example of where it would be really handy. You've got a coat hanger and you're traveling right. Imagine if you were able to switch on flaccid mode and.
Speaker 1: Wow, flaccid mode. I think that could be the title of the show flaccid mode.
Speaker 3: Switch on.
Speaker 1: That's like a superpower. You just talk into the phone on your fucking wrist, switch on flaccid power. Oh god, I'm jotting that down. Yep, that could be. It's either going to be called tech anxiety this episode or flaccid power. But I feel like people are going to have to listen to the whole show to find out the origin story of the title.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is, when you think about it, if you go to bed, you don't hard peelow.
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 3: Is that what we call them these days?
Speaker 1: All right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, the co hangar example was a good one.
Speaker 1: So wasn't. Yeah, well you still haven't explained to us what what are we talking about? So you mean like a T shirt can be hard or soft?
Speaker 3: Do you mean that?
Speaker 1: Or what do you mean?
Speaker 3: What happens is that the little bits that.
Speaker 1: Make Oh he's stuttering, isn't he? Isn't he tiff? He doesn't know what he's fucking? He's making it up.
Speaker 3: I'm not making it up.
Speaker 1: He's derailed himself with the word flaccid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have. The interlocking pieces that make up whatever the object is that you're making are able to be turned off and on so that they either interlinked rigidly, or they can be switched to a mode where they then collapse down to effectively become flaccid.
Speaker 4: They called tent poles.
Speaker 1: Give us, give us, give us an application of this ridiculous unnecessary technology.
Speaker 3: So you could you get a coat hanger that collapses down and are just dangling there and then when you open it up it goes into the rigid shape of a coat hanger. So will you traveling? How handy? Would that be the objective?
Speaker 1: Have you noticed that? He says, code hagar? Funny he says codehanger?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 1: Like what's that about? What did I say?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: How did I open it out? Where? Did you say?
Speaker 1: Well, it's coat hanger and you say codehangar? I did, Yes, you did.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: From everyone listening, you sound like Sheldon from The Big Bang. Code Hagar, Patrick, You've been terrible today. How do people find you and follow you? Why would they want to?
Speaker 3: Seriously?
Speaker 1: Why they Well, because you're never terrible. You know that we love you. You know I love you, and you know Tiff loves you, and you're always brilliant. How do people come and start your joint?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I actually have a marketing business. Believe it or that. Figure Now go to websites now dot com dot Au websites now dot com today you and we kind of can help with that sort of stuff. Tech stuff building websites, branding, positioning, and if you want to.
Speaker 1: Know more about code hangars just hit him up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can get a personal one on one coat hanger story.
Speaker 1: Thanks Tiff, Thanks guys,