Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mum Podcast? It feels like it was just Christmas holidays.
Speaker 2: And now we're in and these holidays in particular are a little bit like all over the shop, aren't they, because like Easter is so far yes, after like they almost come back or do they come back after?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Easter? Oh no, we go Easter and then the Easter Monday and then they're back at school on the Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So also Katie going into this particular set of holidays, We've got my forty yeth Yeah, Elsie's turning ten, Gracey's turning twelve, and it's going to be the birthday week.
Speaker 3: It's like literally their birthday week. It goes for a week. Yeap. Do you know what I've committed to? What fucking sleep?
Speaker 2: I said yes, because like I haven't done a party for so long, And when I say so long, I think it's been been like three years. I took them away for last year's birthday and said they could bring a friend each and we'll go away for a week and stay down the Gold Coast and do some fun stuff. So they were happy with that. Would much refer to be doing that then sleepovers.
Speaker 1: Is actually, I know it feels like a big thing, taking extra kids on holiday with you, but I find it's so much better. If the girls bring a friend, they're off, they're doing stuff, they're entertained.
Speaker 2: We literally had a three bedroom unit. I was in the main bedroom, and then they both had double beds, so then they both slept with their latle mates. Yeah, and so it was just all girls. One of the easiest sort of holidays I've done ever. Yeah, bring a friend, bring a friend, b wayo friend. So holiday said holiday. But yeah, so that's what we've got ahead of us. I'm sitting here saying it like I'm really contained and like everything's planned and everything's organized.
Speaker 1: It's not Sleepovers are fucked. She They are fucked because they stay up all night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then the next couple of days it's just tired and horrible. You end up arguing, they get embarrassed in front of their friends. It's a lose lose situation all round. For a sleepover. The only part of a sleepover that's enjoyable is the part where they say, oh my god, MoMA says you can come for a sleepover. That's the enjoyable part. That's it, and they're happy with you for that five minutes and that's the only part that's good. And then it just all goes downhill from there.
Speaker 2: Racy's got new friends, so I have to have like new people over and I mean that means new parents.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also haven't heard back from any of them.
Speaker 1: Did you tell them to RSVP?
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I allowed Gracie to design her own invite and then send them, so I've really had nothing to do. I don't even know if my name and numbers on it. I actually have no idea proof read. She didn't even let me proofread the invite. I thought about this the other day, going, you have no control over this. You've got no fucking idea, no, genuinely. Whoever the poor parents are that have received this emailed invite.
Speaker 1: That's high school for you. Now they do it all themselves. You don't get to know about anything. I get told where I need to be in my taxi. That's all that happens. You need to be here, and then often tell me half an hour before they go somewhere. How about my plans?
Speaker 3: You don't have any your mum?
Speaker 1: Okay, am I a bad mum for not doing it enough, deterrenting in general. This is about one on one time, which I have been terrible at. And I think because they're twins and they've always done not just because of twins. I know there's any of twins who do different activities and have different friends and the rest of it. My twins are particularly close and have always done everything together. So I have tried to encourage different after school activities. Why don't you do gymnastics and you do DearS And no, They've always wanted to do the same thing and go together, to the point where if one says they're interested in something, the other one will go, oh, yeah, I am. And then if one says they're interested in the other one says they're not interested, the first one goes on, I'm not interested in that.
Speaker 2: They yeah, it's just been a thing, right, But then that makes it really hard doing individual time with them makes it really tough.
Speaker 1: I would say they are completely lost when they're not together. I just want it so interesting because now they're both working at macas and they have different shifts and more so this way around, this is not going to be the way around you think. Come say, but Amelia will go off and do a shift and Holly's just hanging around like she's completely lost. She doesn't know what to do.
Speaker 3: I didn't expect that.
Speaker 1: No, I no, I know because she acts like the confident one. So anyway, on the weekend, we needed to go out and get shoes, a bag and some jewelry for semi formal.
Speaker 3: This spending for this thing, Okay, yeah, keep going.
Speaker 1: The never end a money pit. Start saving, because honestly, it's ridiculous. There's a pre so they do a pre I told you this the actual thing a post.
Speaker 3: Then you'll do a post. You'll need a cartoon from.
Speaker 1: Then they do another post the next day.
Speaker 3: No, that's a new thing.
Speaker 1: I was talking to my dad last night and he was like, oh, what are you doing. I was like, oh, we're going to go for dinner. He said, oh, well you all go back together. I was like, no, we'll be done way earlier than what they will see them in there and they can jump in an uber and then.
Speaker 3: All going well with plans of the partners. Still, I'm so fucking excited about this.
Speaker 1: I'll get to meet them right.
Speaker 3: Oh good, Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: That's what weird because I'm allowed. This is going a real shock.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked.
Speaker 1: I'm allowed to go to the pre. I'm allowed to go there.
Speaker 3: That's where the parents go and take photos of the group photos. Yes, yeah, And who's hosting that?
Speaker 1: A friend of theirs?
Speaker 3: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 2: So then their dates are getting dropped off to the pre okay.
Speaker 1: And so I took them right, I decided, and I never ever do this. I took them separate to go and get shoes. So I took Holly on the Saturday, went around the shop's churm side. That's another fucking story. I've never been there. It's been so busy in my life.
Speaker 3: I was going. I was there on Sunday and it was horrible.
Speaker 1: No, Saturday was like it was even on the news. It was taking people two hours to get out of the car park. I got caught in a line. I had been waiting in this line for thirty minutes. I was trying to get a space. They were trying to get out, And so there's two cars in front of me rate and they're like, everyone's just stationary. But in between the two cars there's a car park, a free car park on the left, but no one can get to it because the line of cars is in the way and I'm behind. I ended up getting out of my car and saying to the girl in front of me, I was like, do you mind if I come around you? Can you just reverse so I can just get into that car park. She's like, yeah, no worry.
Speaker 3: She was waiting to get out.
Speaker 1: She was waiting to get out. So anyway, Saturday, Yeah, I mean, the only positive that came out of that is they had to do free parking for everyone and kick the barriers up so that people could get out faster.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, crazy, crazy. So she found shoes Saturday.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so we got the shoes, We've got the jewelry, we got the clutch. She was super happy. I realized then the next day did the same with Amelia. What I realized was separately taking them out. They cared about what I thought. They were mindful of how much things were going to be, They were grateful. I was like, why do I not do this more often? Because together it's like two bullies gang up on me, make me feel shit about not spending more money or not doing more or not going don't give a shit about my opinion. I'm just there to be the bank yeah, and the ATM and the chauffeur. Whereas what I realized out of this, I was like it was a million times better. And I actually got to the end of both days, like I spent my whole fucking weekend at the shops. There was a part where I walked past chic and I was like looking in the window and Amelia went, you want to go in, mom? And I was like no, No. I was thinking to myself, No, I want this day to be about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I also be bothered it was too busy.
Speaker 3: I was like, if it's so bad, try and I'd every rue for it.
Speaker 1: But I got to the end of the weekend and I not only was I and this doesn't happen very often where they go thank you so much, and I'm like, you are welcome and you were so grateful and you were so nice to be around, Like that doesn't happen very often?
Speaker 3: Is split them up?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I sort of realized.
Speaker 1: I was like, how did I not know this? So why did this take me sixteen years to go? Okay? Just split them up and it would be so much nicer.
Speaker 2: You've got jewelry, shoes, bag, dress, hairs, organized makeups, organized on are those other things after? But surely the boys are buying them. They wear a flower still.
Speaker 1: Oh one of the boys did text, so, the one Amelia's going with text her and said, just wondering what color addresses?
Speaker 3: Yeah for the flower. Yeah, that's also a good sign that he's definitely turning up.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about the other one. The other one bothers.
Speaker 3: Me why because you haven't met them.
Speaker 1: Amelia's guy is asking her questions and being friendly and having a conversation. He's not saying anything. She's like, Mom, I will even say how'd your day, and he'll just go good. I don't know about him.
Speaker 2: What happens if one person turns up and with the other person to take both of them?
Speaker 1: Oh god, I can't even like. It makes my heart her because I need to And you just remember though, hope Jay's got a suit ready, Holly, how about your date?
Speaker 3: Good night,