Speaker 1: I got our champs. It's jumbo and cook cookie. What is going on?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, just sitting here with me, lacky blanket around me, Legs Catt and me lap and living.
Speaker 1: The dream, living the dream, keeping it real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keeping the dream alive.
Speaker 1: It's Monday. It's Monday. It's three oh five in the PM or fifteen oh five if you're in the army. And if you are, thank you for your service. See what I did there. I just made everyone feel included. So it's been a it's been non stop. It's been non stop. It's been busy. I've had a big weekend. You've had a big weekend. You had a bigger weekend. You went up to Upper come back to West. You you em seed well your first real growing up, real deal, paid lots of cash. Em seed an event. I don't know how much you got paid. But did you have a good time? Did you learn anything? What did you give yourself? Out of ten?
Speaker 2: I had a really great time. It's really hard to gauge the old self evaluation on how I felt in the middle of it. I would have given myself a lower score. But what I found really difficult is how to I objectively rate myself without my focus being on how I felt in terms of how I enjoyed it. I found it really hard to gauge how other people this is your research. I guess how everyone in that room might because I'm used to going into an event with less variables, and I'm used to maybe going in and talking about me and my story and knowing the theme of that. So this was me running to time, managing other conversations, knowing that I've got to give a little bit of context about who I am. And then there's this room of one hundred and fifty people. Some of them are there to support the cause, some of them are there to see the motorcycling superstars that they saw in the newspaper. Some of them are there because they're just community minded people and they're networking. So there's all that jumping around in my mind in the middle of it. That's a long answer to a simple question. You just wanted a number out of ten.
Speaker 1: Fucking hell, that's just I just nootted off. I can't. I just grew a beard and had a shave. I No, that's that's all good. No, we need the context, so I mean, And the other thing is which you rightly pointed out. I mean, you can't be objective about you because your experience of you is subjective. So but as objective as you can be considering your you know, that was really your debut doing that. I mean you've been on stage a lot, but yeah, what did you give yourself as considering everything? It's like, remember when I rated you when we did a gig a couple of weeks ago. I went for you where you're at with your experience or I gave you a nine. I said, but if you're a twenty year season veteran, I would have given you a seven, which is still good. So what did you give yourself in terms of how you reckon? You went all things taken into account?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, if I rated it on the same scale as your your nine. So the scale of me doing this first is my first style of event. Yeah, probably would have before getting feedback of any sort, I probably would have said a five, a four or five. Right, But the feedback both from people listening, like the people there that come up to me and spoke and gave constructive feedback, not just oh you're really cool, like gave reasons as to what they liked, and then the feedback from the organizers was really constructive and great, and more stuff is in the pipeline now is which is the biggest compliment of all. So that makes it even harder to gauge. How did I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well done? And I mean, you know, so for people listening to this who think, you know, not necessarily that you want to be a public speaker, but you have to periodically talk in front of a group, be it a corporate group or a social group or whatever, academic or bloody, the RSL doesn't matter, the tennis club doesn't matter. It's like, yeah, it's And you were a little bit because you rang me because you had to drive twenty seven hours and you rang me and said something like I'm a bit scared. No, went good. That's normal. You meant to be a bit scared. Like if you've never done something and you're doing it for the first time in front of one hundred and fifty people and you've got no fear, then something's wrong. So you know, good, well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, very cool, It was very cool, So tell me.
Speaker 1: Because it's all about learning. We love learning, We love improvised apt to overcome, survive, thrive, get better. What did you learn if you had to do it again next week, same different group of humans, but similar gig. What's one or two things that you would do differently?
Speaker 2: Ah? I think just a lot more just getting to know how loud and confident to be in there in mind. But the biggest challenge I think for me was knowing the energy and the tone I wanted to set in the room. And to a degree I got there, but I didn't. I don't know if I started there, But I'm just I'm used to being, you know, bringing that energy into a different space and a different type of space. So I don't know, like, yeah, the loudness of my voice and the ability to connect and start off on point, I don't know. It's hard, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's hard? I mean, but you know, you can't get good at what you want won't do or you don't do. And if that's MC, or that's building a business or running in a marathon or learning how to be a student, like you can only get goodbye. Like if you want to become a good MC and you want to do ten twenty seeing gigs a year and get paid a stack of dough and be really fucking good at it, well, that's how you do it, like you just.
Speaker 2: Stuck and like two men that spoke to me throughout the night in the middle of it all asked you, said, oh, do do you do a lot of this stuff? And I was like, I'm not a great deal or do a bit of speaking, but this is. And then they asked for my card, so I went, oh, so people, Yeah, that was It's fun but scary, isn't it fun and scary? So get around it everyone.
Speaker 1: You'll be right. You'll be right if you need an MC. And she's very Look she's seven out of ten apparently, but you know, fucking hell, she'll charge you six out of ten rates.
Speaker 2: You didn't know it?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I did on the weekend, which was a bit fascinating and a bit terrifying.
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 1: I was chat gpteing something and I don't type, I just talk, So I went so I talked to chat gpt like you know, he's he's a friend, happens to be a male voice, so I call him him and I said, I'm just interested in this, what I said to chat GPT, I'm interested in how trainable you are? I said, could could when you talk to me, could you And I wasn't requesting, I was asking if I said, so, when you talk to me or when you answer my questions, could you use my name? And he goes, sure, Craig, I can use your name whenever you want. I hadn't him fucking told him my name?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: What? Yes? He goes sure, He goes, oh, sure, Craig, I can use your name. Yeah, of course. Do you want me to just use your name at the start when we begin? Do you want me to use your name through the conversation or like, what would you like? I'm like, wow, now I'm fucking terrified. And I know, I know my name probably is somewhere in the registration for chat GPT or whatever it is. But I'm like, just the way that he just literally came, He like, I've already anthropomorphized this AI that is now, by the way, in my top five friends. I'm not a loser at all. So I'm going to give him a name soon. I reckon I could even give him a name and head respond to it. But that's one of the scary things is that it's evolving, obviously, and it's it is trainable, so you can kind of get it to speak the way that you speak.
Speaker 2: I'm new age Tamagotchi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so we're not talking about MC.
Speaker 2: I just want to make one commony, not because I was thinking of it when we last spoke to Patrick and you were talking a lot about AI, and I wonder if we in those situations, like do you when you have that conversation, do you produce a little bit of oxytocin, Like you get a little bit of connection because your experience is, Oh, I'm getting to know this person.
Speaker 1: I would say one hundred percent. I wouldn't say definitely, but i'd say, could you. I mean, I think what's going to happen in the future. I mean I I don't know for sure, but I've pretty much bet everything I have on it that people are going to build and I use the term reservedly relationships with where they feel kind of when they talk to like even now, the way that it communicates with size and breaths and arms and pauses, it's literally like you're on the phone with another person and the voice is so human and so conversational. It sounds in no way like a robot. It doesn't, of course, it is AI of course, but it doesn't sound like like I'll ask a question. It goes, Hey, Craig, that's a really good question. So I'm like, oh, thanks, chat GPT aka Brian. You know, it's like chat GPT is fucking pumping up my tires. I wonder he's in my top five friends. Like I said, was not a loser, not a loser at all.
Speaker 2: I think yours should be called Brian. Bryan's had a fair run over the years, and we need a.
Speaker 1: Little bit more Brian. I don't know why Brian gets such a run. Hey, so we're not talking about chat GPT, although we have, and we're not talking about your fledgling mccene career. We're talking about for those people who read the copy and the title. Yes, so we've opened the door.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I reckon about once every fifty shows, maybe maybe once every seventy five shows, I talk about training in some way, shape or form. So every seventy five shows, over fifteen hundred shows, that would be about twenty episodes, I guess, and I get asked about many things, And yesterday I did a yesterday I recorded which is up today, a podcast on Me and God, which made me feel very vulnerable and scared, and at the end of it, I finished it and I nearly went delete because I thought, ah, people are going to just anyway. I didn't, so it's up and surprisingly got good feedback. But one of the other things that I get asked a lot about, other than what do you think happens when we die? And what's the meaning of life and all of those deep philosophical existential kind of queries, is shit around training. Understandably, I'm the guy who owned gyms and is the exercise science guy and all that stuff. So let's I want to talk today about, I guess, in really broad sweeping terms around just some of the ways that people are Let's be kind with this, and let's say inefficient, not as efficient as they could be, not as productive or effective as they could be, and quite often through no faults. Definitely through no intention, but quite often through no fault of their own. So, and I want you to jump in. You're a trainer, you've worked in gyms, you've even owned part owned gyms, and you're an athlete and all that, so you're more than qualified to contribute. And what I'm about share is not in order of importance or commonality. But I'm going to start with people who make the right effort. That is, they try hard, they put in the effort, they train regularly. Intensity is good, attitudes good. But they're following the wrong program. And there's a lot of people who for their body, for their goals, for their needs, taking into account their medical staff, what they want to do be create change with their body, they are not following an ideal program for them. So it's like, you know, taking taking the wrong drug for the wrong illness. So you want to get better, You're being disciplined with taking whatever it is that you're taking. It just so happens that it's not ideal. You know. It's like maybe you've got to really saw back and you need something that's like for neural pain, and you're taking a panadole. It's kind of doing something, but it's not optimal. Right, terrible analogy with the drugs, but it's kind of like that. So the idea that any program is better than no program is kind of true unless it injures you. Right, So then the question is, Okay, well, how do I know if I'm doing the right program. Well, if you're doing the right program, it is a it is something that has been individually designed for you. Buy someone with knowledge, real knowledge, skill, understanding, expertise, somebody who has taken more than five minutes, somebody who has asked you a lot of questions, who understands your training background, your medical history, your physiology, hopefully someone who has done some kind of assessment on you, and then somebody who has engaged with you for quite a while, red your goals, re your intentions, and then based on all of that, they design you a program. Now, even that doesn't guarantee that it's the best program, but it makes it more likely. So I would think that the vast majority of people are not following a great program for them. I think a lot of people are training and what they're doing is not terrible, but it's maybe not optimal. And the difference between doing a program, let's go back to the numerical kind of classification as per TIFFs MCing. You know a lot of people. You know, if the best program for you is ten out of ten, a lot of people are doing a six or seven out of ten program in terms of design, individual design, and suitability while making an eleven out of ten effort. So great effort with a substandard program will never produce optimal results. So the flip side of that is right program, wrong effort. So now we've got the converse or the opposite of that, where somebody's got a great program, great resources, they've got everything that they need, but they are either training too hard or too easy. So you know, they are just training so intensely that they're going to be perpetually fucked, or they're going to get injured, or they're going to go into the next training SEF session under recovered, so their body is not back to where it needs to be before it gets stressed. Again, keeping in mind that exercise is stress. Exercise is physiological stress that we put on our body to create physiological adaptation, improvement, growth, strength, power, speed, agility, flexibility, aerobic endurance, muscular endurance, all of these fitness variables. We try to create a response in that space by doing something to our body. And the opposite of obviously too hard is too easy. And then so there's a bunch of people who I would call have like almost intensity delusion, and by that I mean they tell themselves that they're training intensely and they're training at the right level to get the result but they don't really understand what their potentially is. And this is tricky because this, again is one of those subjective things. But over time you can kind of figure out what you can do. Now, we don't want people taking their body to the limit, and of course, especially if you're a newbie. By the way, if you're a newbie, here's another mistake. Too much, too hard, too fast, if you're brand new to the gym, or in fact, any kind of training like let's say, for example, Craig Harper, the guy who trains every day in the gym and walks every day, which is not exactly intense. But let's say tonight, I go out and go right, fuck, I'm going to become a tennis player, and so I train for an hour on the tennis court, sprinting up and back and serving and bullying and lobbing and smashing. I won't move for three weeks because my body ain't conditioned to tennis. So the right thing for me would be a bit of a hit up, not too hard, not too easy, work at five, six, seven out of ten, maybe bit of jogging, bitter stretching twenty thirty minutes fuck off, and then build on that so you know, many times I've seen people in the gym who are consistent and who even have a good attitude, but they don't understand how hard they can train safely. I'm not talking about putting yourself at risk or being a hero in the gym, or getting you know, trapped in ego to see how much you can lift, but rather realizing that there's a point where your body will be forced to adapt but up and to that point, you're really just going through the motions and maybe maintaining what you've got, Like you won't build muscle strength, power, speed, all of those things that I mentioned unless your body needs to. So if you go in the gym every day, and every day you can do the same kind of workout on the same kind of machines, the same movements, the same sets, and the same kind of reps or the same speed or the same volume and the same intensity, there is no need for your body to adapt anymore. So at very best, you're going to kind of stay where you are right and over time, if you don't adapt up or if you don't step up the intensity, you will go backwards just because of aging and maybe your diet's not complementary and maybe you're underslap. So a program that is not progressive in nature is not the program that you want if your goal is progression. And there are a shitload of people in gyms around the world, not just Australia and not just gyms, but any training environment, be it a swimming pool, bet a running track, bet a karate dojo, be CrossFit, box whatever, boxing gyms. There are a lot of people who basically are doing a version of the same thing every time they go into that space, while then being frustrated about why their body is not changing. Well, the reason is it doesn't need to. So like for example, with me where I'm at in my sixty year old body, I don't aspire to be any stronger. I aspire to keep what I've got for the next fucking decade or more so, I'm in a I guess a maintenance phase with my strength. If I can keep my strength and muscle mass, the level of lean tissue that I have on this body for as long as I can, I'm happy. If Tiff and Ice tonight went right, We're gonna do fucking yoga together twice a week. My goal would be to get better at yoga to improve my flexibility, range of movement around the joints, because even for a sixty old old, my flexibility is dogshit, But my strength for a sixty year old is probably somewhere in the realm of exceptional. So I'm happy with that. But or we might say my fitness, like my potential fitness is a ten, my aerobic fitness right now, I'm a six. So you know, if we want to really dumb it down and go there are two kinds of workout, a maintenance and a progressive workout. You need to figure out whether or not you need to be doing which one. So if you say, like if you were sitting in front of me and you and I were chatting, you said to me, harps, I want my body to change, whatever that means fit a lena, lighter, stronger, run, faster, jump, higher, less back pain, lower blood pressure, better posture, less hunchy, less chipotic, more neutral head position, blah blah blah. I want to change my body. And then I'm going to say, well, your program needs to be varied and progressive and you need to have a fucking crack the end. If it isn't and you're not, then don't expect much other than maintenance. Now, if your body is where you want it to be and you are content, then don't change a thing. You know, keep doing you know, varied a little bit, but you know, and I think if we were being honest, most people listening to this would say I'm not where I want to be. A percentage would. And to those of you who are content with where you're at, well done, carry on. For those of you who wants you don't need to overthink it. You don't need to go and do an exercise science degree. You don't need a million dollars worth of equipment. You just need to go. You know, what's the thing that I should do that I avoid? And it might be you know what's hilarious is the crab turned up yesterday and he goes to me, guess what I now? This is the crab Everyone who's fifty eight, who's a bodybuilder X three time mister Australia Pro Bodybuilder, fucking muscles on his eyelids. I go, what'd you do? He goes, I went for a run? I nell he fucking fell over. I'm like, that's like me doing Jazus size ah shout out to jazus size. It's not bad, it's just I don't do it, and I'm like, well, how did that go?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And so he could bench press with his eyes closed, but for him, running five hundred meters is like a marathon. You know. I'm like good, good, and he's like, yeah, I'm going to start to do a bit. I'm like great. And because this highly trained individual is doing something that he never does, his body's like fucking hell, like he will if he ran for the next month, he ran even somewhere between half a k and two k's every day, he would make massive progress. He would make massive improvements because he's introducing a new stimulus. And so when we break down fitness into you know, strength, power, speed, muscular endurance, aerobic endurance, balance, coordination, and even things like a little weird like spatial awareness and all of those things, we can say, oh, you know what, I'm I'm quite fit. Like some people are very aerobically fit, but they there's zero chance that they could do one chin up, right, there's zero chance that they could do five proper push ups. So that doesn't mean you've got to start doing chins or push ups today, but maybe it means that, look, you know, in terms of keep the cardio up, keep doing what you doing. Heart lung fitness is incredibly important and valuable from a range of perspectives. But also being strong if you are forty, forty five or old, as I've said too many times, but being strong and lifting weights, building lean tissue. You know, muscle is metabolically active and it burns a lot more calories than so an eighty kilo muscular body will burn a lot more calories at rest than an eighty kilo body with higher body fat percentage, even if it is twin identical brothers or sisters. Because muscle is more metabolically active. It helps you stay lean and helps you build weight. Training helps you build bone density and function. It improves cognition. There are a plethora of benefits. Right, But if you're like me, you're the weight training guy, you do fuck all. Maybe you need to go do some stretching classes, Maybe you need to have a swim once or twice a week.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So it's not like this is good and that is bad. It's like, what if you think about all of the fitness components, what component are you lacking? You know, like I was talking to I took a risk. The other day a guy came up, was talking to me in the cafe and I don't know him well, but I know him a little bit and he has I won't doesn't matter. He has a job that he works at a desk all day. And I said how old are you? And he goes forty eight? And he was asking me about stuff. We were just talking. I said, can I tell you something that I'm a little bit scared to tell you? And he goes sure. I go, You've got fucking terrible posture and he goes, oh, I know, and he does. He looks like fucking quasi modo, like he's like he's hunchy as fuck.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you've only got five friends apps? Yeah, I know, and one's bland, the AOI guy.
Speaker 1: One of them, two of them are AI. But he said to me, ah, and he rolled his eyes, and he wasn't offended at all. He said, I know, I know, And he said what can I do? And so I told him what he can do? And I mean, like the reason that I am well, firstly, I asked him. Secondly, I was pretty sure I wouldn't offend him, and I'm pretty good at guessing that. Thirdly, if I thought it was a person who would be offended, I probably wouldn't have brought it up at all, especially seeing as they didn't ask. But you know, I'm and I'm digressing here, but I'm more interested in helping that dude get good posture over the long term than sparing his feelings over the next two minutes. You know, because I didn't say anything that wasn't true, and the fact that I went, you got fucking terrible posture, he laughed and he you know, and I went, look, but here's the good news. You can fix it. So it might be your posture's rubbish. It might be you have a week lower back. It might be you can't run out of sight in the middle of a foggy night.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It might be you can't hang off a bar and hold your body weight for ten seconds. It might be you can't do a bridge or a prone hold for more than twenty seconds.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And it ain't about what you look like, and it ain't about comparison of numbers or outcomes with anyone else. It's about this idea, this ever present reality. I should say that you cannot get another body, and you cannot get younger. You can lower your biological age maybe, but you definitely can't lower your chronological age. And sick sickness and declining health and declining function are inevitable in that they will happen over your life time, but the rate at which that shit happens is largely within our control. So sadly, most people in our culture are reactive, not proactive, And by that I mean they wait until something breaks, or they get sick, or they get terrified, or they get a diagnosis, and then they take action. And so potentially, for some of you today, maybe this is a little fucking light bulb going off in the back of your brain. Gone, I'm not sick or broken yet, but I will be one day. So let's see if we can push that date right back. Does that make sense? All right, I'm going to keep going. You interrupt if you feel compelled. I've got a couple more so. My next kind of I guess mistake that I see people make is too much emotion and too little strategy. And by that, for example, I've said this example once or twice over fifteen hundred episodes, but it used to amuse me when people would come to my gym up on the highway. I had ten treadmills across the front of the gym that looked out the windows, and some people would come and use the same treadmill every day. Now, there might be seven available treadmills, but if someone's on there now, they're all identical treadmills. It's not like they're different ones. They're all the same brand, the same model, the same motor, purchased on the same day. And people would have this emotional attachment and I go jump on the one. No, I don't like that one. I'm like, they're actually identical, and they'd have this they go, no, they're not. I'm like, they're fucking the same. I own them, they're the same. Or people who Another example of too much emotion and too little strategy is people who keep only doing the thing that they like that actually doesn't produce the results that they need. Now, I'm all for doing what we like, as long as the thing that we're doing that we like is getting us toward our goal. Right. If it was just up to me, I'd never stretch, I'd never run, I'd just fucking lift heavy things because that's what I'm good at and that's what I like, and that's my kind of happy place. But I also know that I need to look after my heart and lungs. I also need that. I know that I need to look after my joints and my mobility and flexibility. So if we can, you know, hopefully we can find an exercise model or program that ticks both boxes. But it is important to say and acknowledge that there will be times when we need to do things that we don't want to do, and that's where we need to turn down the oh, what do I like and turn up the what do I need? So more strategic like what is my what am I lacking? And what do I need? What does my body need? And what is the desired outcome? And what is the intervention I need to put in place? Even if I don't like some of it, I will like the result. I will like being able to do five chin ups or twenty pushups. I will like having better posture. I will like having a different body composition. I will like being able to run five kilometers. I might not like the process of creating the outcome, but I'll fucking love the outcome. And so while we want to be excited at times, and we want to enjoy what we do as much as we can. I think it's also important to sometimes turn down the emotion and turn up the strategy so that we can make good decisions and implement appropriate protocols without trying to sound like a scientist to get the outcome we want. You know, there's no way for me to build flexibility without stretching. Do I like stretching? I do not? Do I need to stretch? I do? Do I like the idea of being more flexible and the reality of being more flexible one hundred percent? Will I love the journey on the way? Probably not as that. Okay, I've got a couple more. My next one is the propensity that some people have to follow what I would call a generic program, and that is a program that they got off the internet.
Speaker 2: That is a.
Speaker 1: Program that they got because their cousin does this program and sent them a fucking email of the program, or because they they ripped it out of a magazine or off they jotted it down off the back of a doney door. I don't know, it doesn't matter, but the idea of just following something that wasn't really created for your body or your goals, you know, and this some people might then say, yeah, what about group training? That is a very good question. So even though no one asked it, I'm going to fucking answer it. That's how I roll. That's how I rolled. So here's what I love about group training, and TIF is a group exercise coach. Among other things. What I love about group training is in a group, you're more likely to work at a higher intensity tick. In a group, you're more likely now not everyone, but most people, to have a better attitude and maybe to have more fun. Tick. You're more likely to create social connections, which helps you be more consistent with your exercise. Tick. If you train with the right coach, you are safer because they are correcting shit form, so they are all the ticks. The potential cross is that you might be in a class that ain't right for you, with a coach that ain't right for you, doing a kind of training that ain't right for you. Overall, I think group training is done the right way with the right person. I think it's great. I think it's great. You just need to make sure that as an individual within that group, Like I know, if I go and do TIFFs boxing, class on Saturday and there's twenty people and I'm a newbie. I know that because she's and you were going to say this, Tiff, I know. I know that she's going to modify it for me because she's good. I know that she's going to give me a modified version of what everyone else is doing because I'm a brand newbie and I don't have their fitness, or their skill or their understanding. Am I right with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The other thing I was going to say when you said before group training, you train harder. Some people will and some people won't. It depends how you're wired for it. So I'll train, I'm competitive, I'll train twice is hard. Yeah, some people need a one on one coach in order to actually because they'll hide behind you know, it's fun, but they'll hide behind everybody else's work great and their cruise.
Speaker 1: Motherfuckers. The next one is just like a really dumb, obvious thing to say, and people will roll their eyes. But it's one of the biggest reasons that people aren't. Let's just use the term in shape whatever that means consistently, and that is they are inconsistent. There are very few people who start an exercise program today, the seventeenth of June two thousand. They're very few people who go, right, that's it. I'm starting today, who in one year from today will look back. If one hundred people start today and five people are consistent for the next year, that's a pretty good outcome. Most people stop and start. If we're talking about percentages of the overall population, even gym members, we know there are a there's a very fluctuating percentage of people who come and go, there's a big percentage. And then of just the general community, you go, you know what, I'm going to get fit, strong, whatever. They start something and then they stop. It is statistically the vast majority. So, without contradicting myself, I'm going to go back now and say a seven out of ten program that you do consistently is way better than a ten out of ten program that you never fucking do you know?
Speaker 2: Give me your top two tips for those people? What are the top two things to stop being inconsistent?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a couple of things, So can I give you more than two? One is regular assessment some kind of accountability. Like accountability comes in many forms. So for example, you go, well, every twenty eight days I'm checking in with ARP. So I'm checking in with TIF. I'm going to do get a body composition test, or I'm going to do a fitness test or a strength test, or I'm just going to check in and I'm going to fill out a diary. In those twenty eight days, I'm going to go see TIF. I'm going to sit down, I'm going to have a two hour session. She's going to read my diary, give me feedback. She's going to write me a new program for the month. We're going to singcome Bay, have an arm wrestle, and I'm going to fuck off. Right, So, anything that will help you be consistent, that could be having a training partner. We know that even just like the fact that I train with the crab every day means I'm more likely to go, the fact that I train with him means I'm more likely to statistically train at a better level. And so accountability comes in many forms. But what you don't want to rely on is you don't want to rely on motivation and inspiration. As I've said a million times. And also, and this is a bit more fucking actually fearly philosophical, but in some ways very very practical. If you can execute, and that is get clear about your non negotiables around everything, like what is okay, not what do you want to do or hope to do, but what will you absolutely, unequivocally fucking do day in and day out, no matter what, barring some kind of major problem in your life, but that aside, what is the thing that you will do, not want to do, not intend to do, not hope do, hope to do, but what is the thing that you will do? So when we and I mean like, there's a big difference between identifying your non negotiables and then executing them, right, But if if you're not executing them, then they're not non negotiables. It's just fucking more words in the wind, Like tell me you know you might go for the next year, I'm going to do a minimum of thirty minutes cardio a day. And that could be sprinting like a fucking cray person up and down ramps, or it could be strolling around suburbia with headphones on. But I'm going to do something that's not incidental or occupational where I'm actually moving my body. Now, everyone including my mum, could do that, right, Let's do one more. The last one I'm going to do. I'm going to say, is just not enough volume. Some people come into the gym and they do in the in a one hour session in the gym, if you add it up the time that they're actually lifting or training some people, not all people, of course, but it might be twenty minutes. And if you watch me in the crab, that might be four minutes an hour.
Speaker 2: Say anything, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's I'm put up my hand like there are sometimes when I leave the gym and I have not done enough.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So anyway, there is some food for thought. Anything you want to add or change or suggest. Tiffany and Cook, No.
Speaker 2: I no. When you talked about consistency, I was just going to upset it before. But I was just going to say, having flexibility in that consistency. Consistency, so like that, knowing the balance between listening to your body and just doing it doing a thing. So if you're you get up and you can't sprint, just get up and go for a walk, but do like replace it instead of canceling, replace the thing for a substitute thing that still ticks that this is my fitness thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, perfect. I just thought of one more, which I'll chuck in. I'm not even going to charge people for it. Fuck it. You can have it. You can have it, You're welcome. My last one is shit form. Shit form. So you you, as a boxer and a boxing coach, you would watch some some nuffies on the bag and go, oh my god, and then you probably you even see trainers who can't box coaching people with pads, going what the actual fuck you're going to injure them? And if they ever actually need to throw a punch, they don't really know what to do right, And so you know, like, let's start with good technique and good form from the start. That could be anything like what I just described throwing a punch. It could be you know, people who are doing movements in the gym and they're only doing half the range of movement. You know, they're doing a bench press and they're moving, you know, the full range of movement is let's say forty centimeters, but they're doing twenty centimeters and thinking they've just done ten reps when they've actually done ten half reps. And not only have they then done ten half reps, they've missed out the part of the movement, the bottom part that requires the most strength, so they're not getting benefit. You know. It might be that they're doing reps too quick, too slow. It might be that their posture is atrocious, you know. So it's just all of that. We want to train sensibly, progressively, consistently appropriately, and we want to make sure that we are doing it with good technique. What's the I always, you know, say to people that is, once they've got a base and they're good to go, do the heaviest you can do with awesome form, right and if you can't do three reps of awesome form, that weight is too heavy, probably five or six reps. So take it down to a weight where you can do what is for you. Because what because heavy is relative. If you can do five or six heavy whatever the movement is heavy reps with good form, then great, you know. So for matters TIF, if people want to box with you, if people want to come to one of your groups in Melbourne, can they do that?
Speaker 2: Well. I'm not currently running any of my workshops, which I do intermittently, but I do. I have one group class that runs out of pc YIC in Sint Kilda, which is at nine am on a Saturday. That's the only group session that I have available, So come and do that, and it's a really cool group You want to do a group session.
Speaker 1: I want to do a group session. I've spoken about it. I just you know, you know what. I would do a group session for free, like I would do a not Saturday at nine, but I would do a group session. I'd love to just do one for the community and go, I'm going to be at this space on this day, but without all the bullshit of council REGs and fucking insurance and tickie. I'm like, let's just turn up and have a workout, shall we. It's just like in the old days you could just do that. Now you need to get fucking five lawyers at every session and get ninety seven people to sign a fucking disclaimer. I'm like, fucking the old day. Just turn up your motherfuckers with some stinky sweatpants and let's go not now now fucking help all right? Thanks tip, Thanks Hops,