Speaker 1: Thank you to all of our listeners who continue to listen to us. Look, if you're enjoying the podcast, just do us a favorite. Hit that follow button on your podcast app right now. It helps us bring your great new episodes and make sure that you won't miss anything. Whether you're on Spotify, Apple Podcast, or anywhere else. Just tap follow or subscribe and stay in the loop. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Guys, cheers, you just tried just come up to wait. Yeah, you said, can we do it another time? And I said, we can't do another And I stayed origins this week.
Speaker 1: I guess, did I winge? Did I? Did I winge? Did? I lay there and refuse? I got up. It's just a little bit tired.
Speaker 3: We got at Mike on for a second because we are rolling, so we didn't leave this shit in. But Matthew's attitude this.
Speaker 4: Morning, I'm asking jab until you come in then. Now, I don't really care about your attitude so much. I care more about the fact that you're walked in and you're just doom scrolling on TikTok. And that triggered the fuck out of me because I've never seen that before from a man your age.
Speaker 1: I was trying to find that Tom did with that with that bloke.
Speaker 4: Well, here's a chip. You're not going to find it by refreshing the home screen the whole time.
Speaker 1: I wasn't doing it. I'll scare him backwards.
Speaker 3: You're fifty three years old, mate.
Speaker 1: But I was. I wasn't watching middle aged women dance.
Speaker 3: But you're fifty three years.
Speaker 1: Old or cute puppies.
Speaker 4: Although although the algorithm will give you that constantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did myself when I said the trash TikTok please, it's just like middle aged women dancing in their bikinis. She goes, Yeah, your algorithm, that's the algorithm.
Speaker 3: They feed you what you want to see.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but your fifty three mates, I don't care how four soon mate, it's it's age is a mindset you don't feel.
Speaker 1: Let me just inform you of something. It doesn't matter if it's sixty. I got a mate who's well singer, who is indo late seventies, said to me, you know what, you never feel any older than twenty five. And I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 2: I believe once you hit twenty five you stay, even though when you look in the mirror you go, who's that old blow. You're still the exact same internally. Yeah, I believe.
Speaker 1: I don't know how we got down this track, but what I'm trying to say to you is age is relevant, and the fact that I'm a little bit shitty this morning has got nothing to do with me not want to do this. It's very fact that every single day I've done a podcast this week on top of my work schedule.
Speaker 3: I guess what, who's up for breakfast rating?
Speaker 2: All I want to say is we've got our loyal listeners, our beautiful listener.
Speaker 3: They are an engaging community. We are like a cult. We're like a cult cultivating the sporting fans as New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Totally right, let's do it.
Speaker 3: No, you don't want it. You don't like to be told.
Speaker 1: No, I don't actually because I get enough off your mom upstairs.
Speaker 3: Hey, guess what your head's right and he goes your body can't cash.
Speaker 1: You'd be surprised, big check.
Speaker 3: All right, state of origin preview again, Get on with it. Yeah, we're doing it made. I'm not trying it. Jesus, you're such a shit. Mood changes. The first thing we want to talk about. Let's start with Queensland.
Speaker 2: Obviously the biggest one is chairs Dallly Cherry Evans captain of queens and he's out for Game two.
Speaker 3: He's been not selected. What was your take on it?
Speaker 1: Slightly slightly surprised, not entirely because of the fact that the tom Toms were beating Surprised in the fact that Queensland would sack a captain mid series. That does surprise me. But I do understand why Billy's done it, and there's two reasons before I get to that though. The one thing that I it's probably a little bit disappointing I reckon from Dai's point of view, because I think in DAI in a lot of times would sort of understand. But the very fact that it was leaked out early, like you know what I mean early.
Speaker 3: It's almost after the games.
Speaker 1: It's not Billy's style. I get that, but someone within the inner sanctum has told journalists, oh, mate, he's not going to be their game too, you know what I mean? And given what Dally has done for that state and for that Jersey, I thought that the announcement could have been handled a lot better rather than just sort of being leaked out. And because that's what happens. Sometimes they'll leak things out to lessen the blow, you know what I mean. When he wasn't name, people go, well, yeah that was right. If he was just out of the blue announced aside and he's not there.
Speaker 3: Where does that come from? Like people will say there's a leak.
Speaker 2: Is that come from within the coaching staff somewhere or just within Queensland?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Look, people, there's no doubt the abillity would confide in numerous people and every you know. And what happens a lot of times is you know, people have close relationship with journals, you know, and a journalist might go to him, you know, what are you thinking? And what are you thinking in there? And it might be the old listen mate, I think, yeah, I think he's going to leave Deli out. You know, that's just that, you know, it's it's not meaning to be vindictive, vindictive or anything that. It's just the way the game works. But for Deli it'd be it would have been disappointing here and all those reports come out which turned out come to fruition.
Speaker 2: I look at the decision and at the start, I I was probably I looked at it and I went. That's a big call because he in my opinion, in game one, he wasn't in terms of their Spine players. He was probably their best player anyway in the Spine. You know the rest of the boys didn't play that well. But you know, obviously he's gone about the season. I think what I look at it right, And I did think about this before, and I think it does similar to like that queens mom from about five six years ago when they kind of acxed a lot of those older players coming out.
Speaker 1: He really surprised me beally a few years ago when he didn't pick gags and what's he doing? But he brought hammer into the side, And.
Speaker 2: I think what the message that it sends to the whole playing group. But like the Spine player, the youngest Spine players like Harry Munster Kaylin did and it's it's got to elevate them, right like it's got to elevate a new leadership group within that Queensland side.
Speaker 1: Well two things does two things? Number one, it sells all the Queensland players number to who they are. No one's safe, so players will go into this game. You know how much that jersey means to those players and they could go into that game in their own minds saying well, if I don't perform this game, this could be the last Origin game I play, regardless of who it is. That's what he's saying. He's saying to them, if I'm going to if I if I'm willing to drop my captain, then made, I'll drop any of you. So that what's pressure on everyone? And I know people will say, oh yeah, but people like Monster and that, but every player has their own voice in their head, and Monsters could be saying, well, you know he's Dally was captain. He dropped. He's put the onus on me. Now, made I better perform for him or else. And that's the other reason, right, he's number one. No one's safe. Everybody, mate, get up on your toes, go out there, perform or else. The second thing he's doing. And I think this is the main reason Coop by not selecting Dally. And you said before I didn't think he was the worst player in game one, Well, you're right. A lot of the selection leaving him out, a lot of has got to do with pushing Kalen and months to forward saying hey, boys, his safety blanket's gone it's up to you two blokes, and he's doubled down on that by making months to captain. Yeah, that's what he's done and died and Cooper did. Will He symbolizes the Queensland spirit and he's going to symbolize how they're going to play. Right they have pigged did and on the back of on the back of his energy and on the back of his fight. That's what he brings. He brings a ton of fight, He brings a ton of energy. He can't be discouraged. He's tenacious little bastard. But on the flip side of it, he's not a great playmaker. That's not his strength. So what does that do? Well, I think what you're going to see. I think you're gonna see Kaylen play a fair but at first receiver they'll RIGI how they're going to play. But having no Dally is putting the pressure on particularly Kaylin and Munster and Harry as well. I mean, your dear made Harry. It was you know he was his performance was unusual by his standards in game one. Well mate, you know he can't. He'll come out firing in this. I actually think from Harry's point of view like Monster, it's quite a stop. I've seen Monster in a state of origin in game one. I think Harry sometimes he actually probably tried too hard. Yeah, yeah, like they kick up the short tide. They made a lot of it, which led to the seven tackle. Actually, if you watch that, it was actually a good decision him jumping out and knocking up because Xavier was coming through it a rate of knots. He just didn't elevate it enough. Idea was Idea was okay, idea was good, but just didn't nail to kick.
Speaker 3: And I remember you used to say that back when we used to play for the Sunshine Coast Falcons in Reserve grade.
Speaker 2: Harry had a if the game kind of wasn't coming to Harry. And Harry's a go getter, right like Harry chases anything and forces his way.
Speaker 3: Into the game.
Speaker 2: Were a lot of spine players can wait for the game to come over there, so if it doesn't come to him, he can force himself something I remember you saying back in the day. You remember you have a chat to him about how he can overplay. Sometimes he tries to do too much because he's fit and he has the energy. A lot of the time, he will try to come up with big players and force his way into the game.
Speaker 1: I think with Harry's in his mind, he goes, well, if it's not going to be me, then it's not going to be Yeah. He gets into that, which it's a good mentality. But sometimes you don't push against the flow of the game and when things are happening and moving, sometimes if you want to push and force things throws everything out. Yeah. There's two players that I've seen that I've watched a lot of football play that YouTube blokes have played with that when they start to overplay earlier, I goo. And one is Harry. We just spoke about that, and the other one's tom Starling. I to see that would Tommy come through the grades when Tommy would just try to do too much and you go, tom just relax, don't force the run, don't force the absolute clever pass or the dream pass. Just go with it, mate, when you get on a roll, get out there and run. We'll just give it early and their natural talent will come to the floor.
Speaker 2: We talk about the little little voice inside the head. Monster Munster has that voice inside of his head.
Speaker 3: A bloke that I remember when was it when Tyron Wishart was playing playing six last year for him would fill in and stuff Money used to always say, oh mate, I'm not going to get.
Speaker 2: My spot back like would and would genuinely believe it or convince himself that he believed so that he'd keep him hungry.
Speaker 1: That's what makes That's what makes champions. That's one factor that makes the champion.
Speaker 2: Do you think the captain says a good idea as well with mone because they were tossing up a lot of people they tossed up Harry.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's a great idea. Yeah, yeah, I think it's I think it's a I think it's a fantastic idea. He's just he's nudget him friden him going, mate, get the fuck? Can we get your going? You're the bloke, You're the pulse of the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and people like Slatsy knows how to get the best out of Money. Played alongside Munster for a good couple of years and I think he's he knows what's going to elevate him. And you look at in that side, you look at who epitomizes it like that Queensland Jersey we like the most, the most Aura in that Queensland arena is Munster from. He's had some massive series, his debut series, that twenty twenty series when he was hungover and he just beat everyone.
Speaker 1: He's had a Wally type impact on Origin in periods of the game. Well mate, he has been when he is. When he finishes and they talk about Queensland's greatest Oriagin players, he'll be talking about. He'll be spoken about that. Like Kevy Walters the other night on the show, I asked him about he was the one who gave Monster his debut. Yeah, and I said to Kevy is it true? Is the legend true? That session all week he was horrific and he said Munster was so bad the training all week. Then he ended up grabbing a couple of the Storm players and say, hey, listen, I'm serious here. Do I play him? Like? Is he going to be okay? And they said, don't worry about it. When the whistle goes, he'll be fine. He'll find his best And he got me another match. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He used to do that ship all the time to Melbourne training. Kick it dead, kick it out in the fall, like couldn't kick a dog in the guts.
Speaker 3: Was horrendous and everyone.
Speaker 2: Would go, oh God, and then he'd like storm off the training padic, throw his boots and like be sucken, and everyone would be like spraying him, spraying him, and then he come out and just like brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's a natural football, he is.
Speaker 3: And also your man baby feet for more. Bo Firma was dropped as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was a little bit of a weird choice because I didn't think he probably didn't get a lot of time out there.
Speaker 1: He didn't, He didn't, Bill, he's just seen something. I didn't go back and watch his performance closely. But bow By his standards was white. Yeah, I think Billy Lookson said, mate, Yeah, you just didn't give us enough. In a minute, we'll talk about In a minute, we'll have a talk about what style of game is going to be and how Queensland will play. All the Queensland mentality the New South Wales going to be prepared for. But the other one, well let's go from New.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, obviously Mitch Moses torn calf A training.
Speaker 1: Can we talk to firstly about Stefano? Yeah, yeah, this will be this will be the making of him as a player.
Speaker 3: You reckon, He's played Origin before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this will be He's at this point. I reckon he's ready to go. I've been watching him at Melbourne and progressively there's just little things he's doing. He's becoming. He's looking more and more like a Melbourne player. His impact. He didn't sort to hit Melbourne and going wham like a lot of players have. But you can just see little things in his game. He's started to get those good habits and now he's elevated on this stage. I think I think he'll go out. I think he'll be really strong, and I think this will be what people have been waiting for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, comes onto the bench obviously, Max King goes in for Mitch Barnett. The thing because I've seen a lot of punters have had their opinion on Stefano being picked, you know, saying other front rowers doing this, doing that better. I think what people don't see sometimes is they'll look at a stat sheet and they'll go, well, this player played seventy minutes. He run for over two hundred meters.
Speaker 3: The thing about a club like Melbourne you barely see a lot of the front rowers run for a heap of meters.
Speaker 2: I remember Jesse Brimis used to say the same things like mate, I can't remember the last time, like I've run the meters that payin Hassen, anything like that.
Speaker 1: Buzz But it's a colective effort.
Speaker 2: It's a collect you spread the work out across the road, across the whole team. Billy, make sure you only play an amount of time where you're effective for every minute in that time. You know, if you're you can squeeze out seventy minutes, He'll only play your fifty to fifty five to make sure that you've put all your energy into that fifty. And that's what he's done with Stefano. Stefana can play bigger minutes, but he's playing him at a amount of minutes where all it needs to go out is every time you run, you run as hard as you can, you get a one on one, you get quick play the ball, and then in defense you've got to do all the little things really well, which is what you see in Stefano's game. For a big man, he's doing a lot of really small things that other front rowers aren't doing really well.
Speaker 1: She's would be a good combination. He and Hassefs are on the same time, if they if they can gain ascendancy, if we start to gain ascendency in the ruck on those played one, two threes, those two blokes on play four, play five. I mean, look, if you're going to ask about you know, is he ready? And all you know was the selection warranted. Who was the first person that Laurie Daily would have went up to and asked Craig Craig Bellamy if Bellamy and Bella Bellamy is not the sort of bloke to say, oh mate, pick him because he's Melbourne player. He just said pick him because obviously what belly Ache has seen in the last month, game mate has seen his improvement and go on mate, he's ready to go.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I remember I think Madge was the first one to give him his origin debut when he was at the Tigers. And I remember when we're speaking to Madge on the podcast last year, Madge said like it was an unbelievable play, Like he's like, mate, so fit, such a good work ethic. He was like, when he goes to Melbourne, he's just going to get better and better. And all the boys down there the first week train and said he would for a big man because you know how hard. Fitness is right, especially for a big bloke. He said, never complain once and was just so good in all the training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is it's a testament to his attitude.
Speaker 1: Just Cooper, when we go back into Queenslany, it just remind me to talk about just their attack. I'll just sit in there then just thinking about certain things come to mind. How I think, how I think Billy will want particularly months to play. We'll get to.
Speaker 2: That, and then Jerome Lewie comes in for anj injured Mitch Moses big news. It was a big point that they picked Moses over lew In game one, Moses ey spot played outstanding.
Speaker 3: How do you see this pick affecting New South Wales?
Speaker 1: Firstly, people of the numerous people say Mate Burton should be picked. Burton is not a six yet at that level, he's an emergency six where you playing made eighth man and if you need to you can slip him in there. But Leui was a no brain. It was straightforward. Lou I'm picking a Louie for Men of the Match. I reckon, yes, if we can, if we can dominate the rock area or I think I think he will be Men of the Match. And the reason is why that at the Tigers, he's working double time, like he's having to do so much. At the Tigers, he's doing the organization and he's trying to hold onto his running game. So and that's a very hard balance to do. He's learning new aspects of his game with leadership and direction, and that's very hard to you know. And what's happened suffering a little bit is his natural game. Now what he's going to do Now, He's going to walk in alongside Nathan, straight into that side mate, the old pair of warm slippers. He just goes in. Nathan will take control. He can just play his best self made who will go in there. He'll just feel liberated. It will be a huge weight. I think this. I think this selection is going to be great for New South Wales. I think the selection is going to be great for Lui, and I think the selection is going to be great for the Tigers. I can see Louis going there having a blinder and just taking that back to the Tigers. But I love it. I mean, the combinations are just so important and state of origin. You know, the combination you've got Edwards, Leui Cleary and Yoe and you've got Liam Martin there as well. Those combinations straight away just former and they've played so much. You've got to remind the four competitions have won together. Five Grand Finals have been in the combination works. I thought Yo in game one was magnificent. I thought he was really good. Yo has taken him a little time to realize it. But at State of Origin level his game is less pass, more run, but he still sets up that shape which makes the defense flex out and gets him one on one. He just punches through all the time. And Liam Martin, Liam Martin coop is symbolic of the New Blues attitude and you go, what what's the attitude? Well, the natural characters coming into this fight are Coeensland the underdog, you know, just battling away, you know, the little engine in the can and New South Wales like the Imperial bad guys. Yeah, that's what it is. Now what what Liam Martin does? Liam Martin plays like an underdog. If you watch him and Angus Crichton, how hard they go at Queensland and Liam Martin just yeah, he he. The theme that Queensland are great at is that underdog mentality, that fight mentality. Well, he plays, he takes them on. As far as that attitude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, teams have identities and that's always been their identity, the underdogs who no one give him a chance to go and kill them. And then we've always had that villain, even when they were winning like six in a row a bit, We've always had like the Gals and the Greek Birds, who they look at him and they go the villains, you know. Yeah, queens and don't have a chance even though they had like the best players in the world.
Speaker 3: But Liam Martin is he gives.
Speaker 2: Me like the modern day Greg Bird vibes, you know what I mean, he's got the same thing.
Speaker 3: He's got that mungrel and he goes after half backs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, in different areas, in different eras where New South Wales dominated, we've had, you know, sitting at the very core of the team have been a club combination and sort of players I reckon and I'm only guessed that he may have got this wrong, but that Queenslanders respect and don't hate. It's not like they come from a club like the Roosters who carry that or manly to carry that sort of attitude. Yeah, and that swagger you've got Canberra in the nineties where you had that core of the camera side which was Bradley Clyde, Glenn, Lazarus, Ricky and then you go into Joey's era. You've got Joey and Bedzi and you know Van Kennedy operating and you know, to speak to guys like Gordon. Like Queensland, people don't look at New South Wales people and go oh look at those elders. You know what I mean, they understand like they're hard working class people. They've got the same attitude. It's the same with people from Penrith like people. I don't think people in Queensland or Ipswich look down at Penrith and go look at those flash Harry Bass.
Speaker 3: They look at the inner city clubs and they can scoff at them.
Speaker 2: But like you said, like Newcastle, Canberra and those in a West sides like Penrith.
Speaker 3: And Bulldogs, they're hard, hard work knockouts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, knock about blue collar towns and Penrith is at mate. You got tough people like they're going to look at you know, someone from Ipswich going to point to you know, Critter and Leui who are from Mount Druett and go oh those flash Harry is we've flipped the script a lot of times, like they bought those young blokes like to they come out of those tough areas in the western suburbs, like you know, they're they're going after the Queenslanders. It's just a different you know, people might scoff at that, but it's just a completely different narrative and a narrative that doesn't suit these Coinsland players.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard for them to draw motivation in there. And I can't imagine Bill would be able to in years going past.
Speaker 3: Wayne Bennet could go.
Speaker 2: Up and on the white board and go look at this bloke and really fuel the fire and get him angry for things that they've said in media and whatnot. Going you know this blog he's lives in cities, eastern suburbs. He's talking about you guys have grown up hard, you know in rock Hampton.
Speaker 3: They can't go he can't have a.
Speaker 2: Picture up there, broan and go this bloger grew up on the foot of the mountains. Mate who drinks six coke zeros on game day.
Speaker 1: That's Stephen Crichton. Mate. He'd be sitting now, it may eating his cavia think that's better than you guys, you know, And yeah, it's as we have a great side we have, right if we talk about a Queensland and to play, we have got we got we've got a great side. But what we have to be ready for is coins Lands, the Queensland frenzy that's going to come. They we have to match them as far as desperation, which is hard to do Coop because they're fighting to keep the series alive. We're one nil. We've got a bit of that. And this is the reason why Coop there's so many rare three nils is because if you just drop a little bit in desperation, then that means you drop a little bit in intensity and that's just enough for the other side to come out at the top of it. Like even those great Queensland sides you know that dominated. I don't know how many they didn't sweeps they were.
Speaker 3: They didn't have a heap.
Speaker 1: Of clean sweet I think it might have been just one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe there was.
Speaker 2: Only one potentially two out of what eight, yeah in a row there. So yeah, and you look at the side that they had Greg English, Billy Slater, Cooper Kronk, Camera Smith Jonathan Thurston lockey.
Speaker 1: Even those great great players you know, gi all those blokes who you know have an argument to be have be immortals into the future and a number of them will. Is that even when they drop coop just a little bit in desperation, the New South Wales side beat them. And some of them weren't strong New South Wales sides, but they were able to knock them over and beat them purely on intensity. And this which comes to my point is Queensland. I think this will be one of the great State of Origin games. There's been a lot of criticism with gay one. I get it to a certain extent. I think someone's been a bit over the top. I've heard some people say, oh, as far as State of Origins is a bit of a soft game, will come on. But I do get that it didn't have that same intensity. They will come out, Queensland will come out in a frenzy. New South Wales has got to be prepared for that. And a lot of times Queensland is the Queensland style of ambush. They get us people go, yeah, well the ambushs and they go, well, they didn't ambush it because you knew what was coming. Ah, No, no, no, we knew what was coming. We just underestimate, underestimated the intensity of it. Right as much as we're saying, mate, they're going to come out in a frenzy, right, you know it's going to be probably ten to fifteen percent more than we're anticipate.
Speaker 2: And you look Game one, that first fifteen minutes, I think there was the penalty count was a lot, there was a couple hours. You rarely see a state of origin that first ten minutes where there's broken play, where there was about three or four passages where the play stopped. I think this game too, you'll see, like you said, there's been a lot of talk around the penalty count, the referees, there's been a lot of talk about the quality of the game, people slamming it. I think the first fifteen minutes, particularly from Queensland.
Speaker 3: Will be pull out of a gate. It'll be one to be reckoned with.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about why and how they're going to play well, Cooper. There's been two games played in Perth, and why Perth is a really big factor. It's going to be a six o'clock game. In Perth. It's always a dry fast track, which means we can move the pool around the park. It suits the way we want to play. So giving evidence to that New South Wales are two game games thirty eight to six forty four to twelve. Now that sort of scoreline tough in Perth, almost unheard of in state of origin, which mean Queensland coops if you look at the nature of our side. If Queensland go out there to make this an attacking shootout though even though they got Harry and Munster and Grant, we will put will bid them by thirty points. What Queensland want to do mate, They want this to be a tough center field battle. That's what they want. So this is the thing. The bloke is going to have the most pressure on him in this game is the referee. And I have got no doubt that he's been given a directive and they won't admit to it. I reckon he's been given a directive from the top because this is a really important game. This is a really important match for the game planning in Perth. We've got the Perth Bears coming in, so we want this to be as good as rugby league can be. And so I reckon the referee has been given a bit of a directive, he'll say less penalties, let the game flow more. And I think he'll say it. They'll they allow a little bit more, you know, a little bit of the foul play. You just don't be too keen to blow the whistle. Now that suits Queensland. Because Queensland make that. They will multiply the pressure on the referee. They'll lie in the ruck, they'll stand half a meter off side, they'll ruff, they'll they'll rush our playmakers, they'll hit our playmakers. I'll throw our playmakers on the ground. And that they will just exert pressure on the referee. They will try to dictate the terms of this fight. And that's how they'll do it. They'll try to make it a really tough, gritty game. They'll just try to shut us down and they'll exert all the pressure on the ref.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you know better than anyone, right. You used to say it to us in junior footy. You and you go on into a grand Vinyl, you'd say, feel free to layers test the referees, lay all over them because in big games, when everybody's watching, the referees don't want to be blamed for a shit game.
Speaker 1: Well, what we used to say that when caaching you blokes, you know you're not to teaching you know, arms to what it was. I'd say to you, bloke, right when you make a tackle like you're buzzy and you're enjoying yourself, but just have the discipline to count in your head one two three and then get off. And it just makes all the world difference. And when we go into those Grand Finals at the start of the game, will say, let's just dip our toe into the water with the referee, lay on one two three, four and then get off if he starts blowing penalties one two three. That is such a vital part of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we used to get referees come down to training a lot of the time and chatting to refs a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: They're not counting how long to play the ball is. They're measuring the play the ball off the first five minutes. They'll they'll get a feel for the play the ball, and then they'll see how consistent they're laying on. If you that first five minutes, first ten minutes, you're getting off really quick, and then when fatigue starts to set in, you're laying trying to slow it down. Then they kind of subconsciously they notice that because they're trained to know just inconsistencies. That's where they'll blow the penalty. If you set the standard from the start, and if you're Queensland, you know you're half a meter off side, you're laying on the play of the ball, slowing it down.
Speaker 3: That becomes the standard for the whole game.
Speaker 1: Well, coop, what's gonna happen in the referees. He's been told blow less referees, so every time he blows. Every time he blows a penalty, just so blow rep.
Speaker 3: You said he's been told to blow less referees.
Speaker 1: Clip that, I reckon.
Speaker 3: He would have been told that as well. I imagine they'd be rules in the referee for a game.
Speaker 1: Keep us are doing anything for a win.
Speaker 2: It's like the jockey club, mate, don't shoot where you eat. Come on, refs, it's a kissing each.
Speaker 1: Other, oh mate. Every time the referee blows a penalty, coup, he'll be in his own mind and be going, oh God, because he's been told blow less. Yeah every time. So quite what Queensland will do, and New South Wales to an extent, they'll just keep testing him and you want to keep blowing penalties. Yep, we're gonna lay. It's going to be it's a game of cat and mouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think us as New so well as well.
Speaker 2: Given that they're already up by one, they're at a little bit of a disadvantage because if they try to the more that they push, the more they'll be panealized.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know you know what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like when you're down twenty zerol in a game and you kind of get more of the rubb of the green because they try to not bring you back into it, but they give you a little bit of the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 1: It'll be like that for queens And although it's been played in Perth, the crowd will put exert pressure on the referee because last every time it's played over there, and the supports probably being seventy thirty Queensland's way. Everybody everybody hates you South last, everybody. Okay, let's talk, right, If Queensland are going to play that way and they're going to come out like a frenzy, let's have a little talk about how New South Wales should play. Our strength is our yardage, game right, it's it's Zachlomax, Brian too, Dylan Edwards on play one, two three, that's what really set that set us going. Then all of a sudden you got paying House on play four or five. Then we're out of there. And we just that dominance in yardage, just kept getting Nathan clear in attacking kick positions and which allowed us to exert pressure and just build pressure on them. But this game we just established right our Coreensland come out there, they're going to try to spoil. So how do you spoil in yardage? How you spoiler is you tighten your defense. You can press your defense, show New South Wales the edges and you rush and you lay on the ruck. That's what you do. That's how they're going to squash our yardage game early in the match New South Wales. In my opinion, if I coached in New South Wales, I'd start the match by playing a little bit of sideline. The sideline really yep, I'd push, I'd push the ball away. I wouldn't give Coueensland what they're after. They want physicality and confrontation. Don't give it to him early. As soon as we start to get just a little bit of momentum, push the ball to the trail or crutter on the other side. Right, And what that does it moves around the Queensland forwards, makes them travel around the park, which starts to fatigue them. But the other thing it does gives us one on one tackles. Right, they're going to try to get lots of players in the tackle the really slower rate. So move the ball around, shift it around, get one on one tackles, get your momentum. That way almost you can move the ball to an edge with critter. He also makes twenty meters then start to build. You go forward off that as the game starts to go on, and as the game starts to evolve and the game starts to move into the thirty minute mark, if you start to move their opposition middles around Coop, you'll see them start to hit the wall a little bit. And that's when you go revert, bring it back and start playing through their center.
Speaker 2: They're going to want to be if they do play that way. And I like your reasoning because you know what Queen's are going to do. They're going to bunch right up. They're going to be flying out from outside in just trying to put shots on, trying to not be bullied like they did in Game one where Lomax and Painhas are running over the top of everyone. Do you think us then changing flipping sort of away from our strengths rather than just going straight down the middle trying to shift. Do you think it also opens the.
Speaker 3: Risk up for a lot.
Speaker 1: Of early errors. Yep.
Speaker 2: You know they're going to want to be really diligent with how they shift the football executing their passes, because it could really Queenslane could almost you know, take that gamble and encourage us to make areas.
Speaker 1: Of course, but I come back to my point. This is why Perth suits New South Wales is because you go back and watch the games our in Perth, the ability to move the ball from one edge to the other. It's just you can do it so easily and move it around and that's what suits us. You know, Coop's ball movement, it's not really ball movement that's risky, it's it's what players do with it. If that makes sense. Yeah, you don't want to go one, two, three passes to someone who then gets half through and throws a frivolous pass. What you do is you just get you do control ball movement one two three, Shift the ball to an edge and let the center just make the meters. You know, if they're going to tighten their defense, coop always with the defense, a defense is going to compress and dare you to push the ball to the edge.
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 1: Take it? And they want to keep compressing up, keep taking it because when a defense titans new move the ball to an edge, they need to surrender meters. That's what it's such easy meter So move the ball to the edge, take the meters, then to owe and that can start to go forward. But you'll start to see coop after a certain period of time. As has said before, moving the ball around just naturally disrupts the defense and prize that middle open, and that's when it starts soon play through. In fact, if you watch Joey, you know Joey's best ever Origin game.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and five, yep Game two yep.
Speaker 1: Watch New South Wales. In the first fifty minutes of that game, they're actually playing with a lot of width. Bang bang. The last thirty minutes Joey reverts and just starts playing through their middle. But that that middle was vulnerable from what they did in the first fifty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, right, and our predictions to round.
Speaker 1: Off, I'm going to go to New South Wales thirty four to fourteen.
Speaker 3: To give it to him.
Speaker 1: I think that we will I think will. I reckon Coensland will put so much into themselves early. I reckon we will score a lot of points late. Yeah, okay, yeah, I think, yeah, I try to. I think. I think Coop, if we get away, you know, with about twenty minutes to go and we're ahead by like a ten points, I think then we'll really skip and get away from it.
Speaker 3: You have first try score as well.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go first tryscorer. I go. I'm going to go Stephen Crichton. I'll go for a kick, attacking kick across from Nathan Cleary, Zach Lomac's bat's back to Critter who scores? Okay, very specific, yep, I love it, Jack.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 4: Have you got any I've got New South Wales by twelve, and I think that first tri score is going to be Jerome Lui.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we're on Lui mate.
Speaker 4: And then man of the match I think is going to be Lui. Oh Jerome went in Rome.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to go a little different, all right, I'm in you South Welsh. I want us to win.
Speaker 2: I think Queensland are actually going to win. I think Queensland by two. I've got man of the match monster and I've got first try scorer. I've got I think Xavier Coach will shore the first. Yeah, I think. I just I've been tossing it, turning whether who to pick. I think you got I think we'll win the series. But I just think it's hard to win three. It's hard to go yep, it is, and I think I think they're going to get us.
Speaker 1: This is what I expect from Munster. I think you're a Munster running more than he passes. I hope. So yeah, I think you're going to see You know that you said the COVID series, you know where he basically played that first game hungover. I think it was that that first game he was trying to push the ball sideways. Apparently what he will come into the sheds or Wayne turned around to Munster and just said run the fucking football and he went out there and got man of the match. That's I think I think you're going to see Corinsland pour enormous energy into their defense and their physicality, and I think when the win the football, they're going to play pretty simple. Think they're going to I think they're looking for they'll work Graft really hard and they'll look for little moments of magic from Kalen and moments of magic from Munster all right. Man of the match Joan Luway. Boom, we bring the boom.
Speaker 3: Give us one, give us a boom has it?
Speaker 1: We bring the boom. God, I love those guys. Boom, boom, boom