Speaker 1: Get everyone. Welcome to Drafted, the first episode of our dedicated super Coach Draft show for season twenty twenty five. We'll be dropping into the official super Coach podcast feed with our positional draft rankings in the preseason, as well as some waver Wire content during the regular season. But to start with, let's start with the basics. If you've ever thought about getting into Super Coach Draft but don't know where to start, this is it. We'll be going through all the basics of super Coach Draft to get you started and on your way. I'm Dossi. You may have heard me on shows such as The Phantoms Lair, The Draft Doctors, and podpot The Point of Difference podcast. Have played one form of draft or another for every year over a decade, have a few premierships under my belt, but recently I'm much more well known for my ability to be runner up unfortunately in the last few years. Joining me, though, I have two favorites of the super Coach community, both former members of the world famous Jock Reynolds podcast, reuniting right here on Drafted. First off, very familiar voice right here on this feed patch, I'll introduce your special guest.
Speaker 2: We've got as well.
Speaker 3: Good a.
Speaker 4: It's a delight to be here and a delight to introduce the man who introduced me to drafting and drafts. It's leg Dog.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me, gentlemen. It's exciting to come out of retirement.
Speaker 3: For the sixteenth time.
Speaker 2: The sixteenth time.
Speaker 4: Yes, the tattered copy of the Michael Jordan press release of I'm Back is getting a bit bit torn and tatted and covered in stains.
Speaker 2: Yep, But I'll drop it next year as well when I retire later this year. It's going to be fantastic. And I'm excited to talk about Super Coach Draft in an official format. Bloody exciting.
Speaker 1: It is exciting keen to talk draft this preseason. Yeah, we haven't really done a lot of draft content on the Super Coach podcast feed in the past. We know that you yourself, Letdog, though, have written plenty of great content over at Code Sports last year especially. You know you were covering the waiver wires each week. You did a lot of preseason stuff there. You've got plenty more to come on the written front this preseason. But why don't we just start with the very very very basics. What is Super Coach Draft?
Speaker 2: Let Dog I've been put it simply, it's super coach, but each player can only be picked once by one team, so you can play with as many teams as you like. Twelve to eighteen is generally the range you want to work in. And yeah, you start with pick one, You take the best player, and it goes on from there. During the week, you know, after you've picked your team, there's generally wave a wire pickups where you can put in a bid on a player to pick up who's available, who's a free agent. You put him into your team if you think he's going to be good that week, and then you hopefully beat your free Similarly to you, DOSSI, I'm very much a runners up sort of man when it comes to drafting. I'm very good at getting to a Grand Final. I'm very good at losing them to Patch in particular.
Speaker 1: Hello, Well, then Patch, you can talk about your love for draft and what is it that you enjoy about playing the different format. You know a lot of people maybe listening, have just played the classic, but there is the format. You just switch it over on the on the app or on the website wherever you go, and you just hit the draft button and you go over to that screen. What makes you what made you fall in love with draft? When let Dog introduced it to us as you.
Speaker 4: I mean, there are two big things that I fell in love with. One was, you know, in classic, if you're playing leagues yet to the end of the season and so many people have the exact same team, everyone's got very similar players. Everyone's got bond, your captained bond. You know, everyone's got the same back line, the same forwards. Even this year, looking at Classic, a lot of mid prices are just going to be the same and everyone's forward line. But in draft, none of that. You don't get the chance to do it. Once Jack mccray's off the board, no one else speaking Jack McCrae. You don't have eighteen teams in a league full of Jack mccray's. So that's really nice that you get that that point of difference. Ever, because every player is a point of difference, So that's really nice to have different players and by extension, let other guys shine who you might never consider picking. You know some players and yet they you know, like an Alex Neilbullen is the perfect example where you know, maybe this year people might look at him, but previously is no one's ever touched him in classic, but he's been a draft nugget that you could just pick up and enjoy watching him, and it's been really nice. And then the other side of it is Draft day itself is just so much fun to get around your friends, even getting around strangers. If you're doing it online, which I've done before as well, you're just going to drop into a draft and pick, or you set it up and you have of you know, a big barbecue with smoked meats, and you hang out and talk some crap for a little while, and then you sit down and start picking, all in person, and it's great fun to to grab someone just before someone else is going to pick it, and you know, you pick Tom Green and everyone cries out and I was going to pick him next. Is a wonderful feeling. We won't talk about the feeling when somebody else grabs the player you were going to pick next. But it's just it's just good fun. It's just really nice. It's a different variation of the format. And then I know it's just I just think it's neat, Dossie, I just think it's neat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. I've always loved the format. I think I might have even played it before Classic, Like my memory of draft just goes back that long. Yeah, just just love playing it every year. Like you said, draft days a great day on the calendar, especially if you do it in person. There is just that special special thing about getting together with your mates. I mean, especially as you get a little older and it's harder to see people. It's really nice to catch up on that. You know that one day the preseason. I suppose you mentioned it a little bit earlier. Lekdog. In terms of league settings, when people are sort of starting setting up this draft, because it is kind of how you want to start. You pop up to a screen. You've got to kind of make your league or join your league. You've got to have that commissioner that's running it. What do you suggest if people are jumping into their first draft. You mentioned a few different things about how many teams you want, etc. Let's hear what do you think people should start with on those settings?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're new to drafting, I guess the number one thing is you want active teams. So I ran a work league last year with people who'd never played Super Coach before. We only had I think six maybe eight teams in and that was fun because they were all active. So you want to make sure how many teams you pick, you're actually gonna have coaches who are participating and making weekly updates to the team. The other thing is, if you're starting out, you probably don't want to overcomplicate it and have you forty guys on your team. To keep it's simple, you want to probably have four or five defenders, four or five mids, a ruck, and four or five forwards and then a couple of guys on the bench. Just keep it really simple. That way, the draft doesn't take all day. You still have the same amount of fun. It means if you have a smaller amount of teams or a small amount of players required on your team, it means the wave of wise going to be full of bargains and you're never going to get too stuck with you no offense, but your Thompson downs and whatnot. You're going to have opportunity to pick up fun players. So keep it simple. Just how many teams as you think coaches will be active, and then yeah, play with the settings. But less is often more when it comes to setting up your first couple of.
Speaker 1: Drafts patch you had a similar experience with draft I know that recently, I reckon the norm of how many players on field has drastically reduced. I think maybe in speaking to what you're saying, let dog people just want to jump in, have a bit of fun, set the lineups pretty quickly. I feel like nowadays sort of a you know, the average players on field, when back when I was really playing quite a lot in the early days, it was like five defenders, seven mids, one ruck and five forwards. That's pretty much the standard. Seven sorry, five one seven, five was the typical format. But I think nowadays it's sort of a bit shallower, but maybe a bit easier to manage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh sorry, jumped in your patch. Yeah. I think for me, like twenty two players is that nice area unless you're going to go full fifty player bloody dynasty rookie list leagues, which is a whole nother thing. But that twenty two players for me as an experience player, is that real prime area. But I think if you're starting out sort of twelve to fifteen players, the other options you've gotten, they're probably a simpler way to get into the draft format.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, there is other formats of the game you just mentioned now don't have patch. Are you a keeper league officionado yourself?
Speaker 4: I did keep leagues before I did regular drafts.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, let's hear your recap. So there is the single season draft is what we're mainly going to be talking about on this show. And single season draft you draft a team at the start of the season. We'll talk about how that happens in a second, but you draft your team at the start of the season, much like if you've played an NFL draft or anything like that. NBA, it's the same deal. You have your players for that season, and then at the end of the season you redraft them again and it's a completely different team. But with keeper leagues it's a little bit different.
Speaker 3: Patch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's for the people that want to play least list manager just the whole way through, or people that are just insane, which we all are in that. You know, you do your draft as Lack mentioned off, and you can have up to I think like an I own a league that had forty eight players in each list at one point, which is a bit absurd, and then from r TOE you keep all of those players and you might de list three or five or eight, and then you go to the National Draft, which is the pool of every player that's just been drafted in November, and then you pick from that, and it's simulating a real list in that respect. You've got to make sure you know you've got young players coming through and you can't load up on old guys who then all suddenly retire and you have what Richmond had this year, where suddenly you've got nothing but young kids and they're going to be at the bottom of the ladder for a couple of seasons. So it's a really interesting way to approach it.
Speaker 3: But it's also.
Speaker 4: Slightly complicated, or veering from slightly complicated to just excessively overbearing. So it's certainly not something i'd probably advise people jump into straight away, but yeah, certainly a different fun way of talking about and we'll often mention, like you know, from time to time, we'd be like, oh, this guy is on the waivers. If you're in a keeper league, definitely grab him. If you're not in a keeper league, maybe consider him. But yeah, we'll definitely try and keep it just to the single season format for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bit easy to talk about single season format, but I mean in terms of a keeper. Sometimes not always, but sometimes similar players are available on your wave of why that we might be talking about in season because you know, they've just had a ripping game in the VFL and they're coming up for some senior opportunities and they're still players that we want in both formats. So but yeah, keep that in mind. We will be talking single season on this podcast. Now, Lek Dog, I'll throw to you for this next segment. So we've basically got two I would separate the season into kind of two parts each season. In single season, you've got your draft day and everything leading up to draft day, and then in season. So we'll talk about leading up to draft day. First, what do we need to do leading up to draft day and heading into our draft to prepare the best we can.
Speaker 2: Well, the best advice I can give you is to go through all the players and make your own rankings for each position. Takes a lot of work, but at least when you go to the draft you'll have an informed opinion. Second best to that is going on Code Sports and taking my top one hundred or the collective top ranking position articles and using thembers in the base and then the main thing you want to know is injuries, who's coming back from surgery, who's missed a bit of the preseason, because that'll adjust their value. For instance, currently Nick Dakoss is fine, but he's had an issue with his foot. Instead of going number two in a draft, he might slip to ten. He's got to be aware of who's available. Mataste Philippoo highly pouted forward option, He's now going to miss a whole chunk of the season. If you're not across that you draft him early, you're kind of stuffed the season. So just being across the news, positional changes, injuries, all the same stuff you really would for Super Coach Classic, but you just want to keep an eye on the rankings and the general consensus ADP is another thing that's available to look at there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those average draft positions, that's where people have been, where people are drafting certain players in the preseason. And you can do those mock drafts on Super Coach as well, so you can jump into draft. There's live drafts as far as I've seen on the mock draft, so you can go jump into a draft when people are keen. Obviously, you need enough people to jump in there, so I might need to wait until close to preseason when people are really getting into their drafts to jump in there, but go ahead and test it out and see where people are enjoying drafting players patch. I'll throw to you as well, what's your method of research in the preseason. I'm very similar to Leck. I definitely do my own ranks and we're going to be talking about our rankings in weeks coming up as well. We'll go through each position and then you can read further on those articles as mentioned by Lecdog and Code Sports. You can check the entire list, but we'll be discussing those I make my own little spreadsheets. I love looking at the old data and sort of just ranking them up and down. I think I tend to be able to do those lists and adjust. I really like to use projected averages, so you know, you can use fancy maths or however you want to do it. I tend to just sort of bit a gut feel bit of previous average and sort of say, okay, what do I actually think this guy is going to average for the coming season, and then I like to sort of order my rankings like that leading up to the draft. But patch, what's your method of whether it's rankings or just preparing for draft day.
Speaker 4: I'm a big vibes guy, big vibes guy, which like horrifies a lot of people. But you know, I'd obviously look a lot at Supercoach classics, so I've kind of got a general a pretty good handle on you know, who's going to be doing well and who's going to be doing well towards the point the end of the top of the draft, and then for the lower down of the draft, I'll often like go through and just look at names and I'm like, oh, I really like this guy. I really like this guy, and then make a list of guys who I think could.
Speaker 3: Be value and I don't want to forget about.
Speaker 4: And then you know, I'll compare that to the guys who are kind of the highest ADP sometimes where you know, if I don't have a big tier list in front of me, then I will look through and know as it comes up to my pick, and there's the you know, the next ten guys from the average draft position from the Supercoach website, and then I'll also have these list of names of someone like Kiddy Coleman who missed last year with injury you know, might not be as high up, or guys that I think might jump up who you know other people are overlooking. So I'll often look through those ADPs and find who I like ahead of time, and then you know, occasionally look higher up and go, well, I don't like this guy this season because I think you'll be trash or.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So that there is an easy way of doing it, I think than having a list of one hundred and fifty names of the one hundred and fifty best players and ranking all of them in order, I think there is a way round it where you don't have to do that because the ADP does a lot of that work for you.
Speaker 3: Does that make you a worse drafter?
Speaker 4: Possibly? But I have won flags while doing it somehow, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it depends on how seriously you're taking the leak, how much you really want to put into it. But also there is there's a case for vibes to be made, and I'm currently making it.
Speaker 2: It's it is a fair call, Ossie BOSSI where.
Speaker 4: I'm going to get invested. Watch out.
Speaker 2: My document I've open right now is called Player Rankings twenty twenty five. Vibes, So I'm very much in the vibe the area for the initial rankings, but I think you do need to consider. The other thing you want to consider heading into draft day is positional scarcity. So because it's you can't just cookie cut and copy everyone's team, positional scarcity will adjust how you value players.
Speaker 4: For instance, So what position? What is positional scarcity? So you've opened your big draft, you see a lot of midfielders at the top, but obviously you need to fill it with forwards. Can you talk us through what positional scarcity is why you might go draft a forward straight away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So positional scarcity is basically there's not many good forwards. There's not that many good ruckman. There's lots of good mids, there's lots of good defenders. So you might select a lower scoring guy for the year, like Adjason Horn Francis as a forward. He's not going to score as much as probably as a guy who's scoring one hundred and ten in the midfield, but you may take him because you want to lock in the best forward available, so you might jump earlier. So just for instance, I also categorize all my players into tiers. So in each position. So I've got midfield tiers one to ten or one to twelve, whatever it is, forwards one to ten, blah blah blah. In my top fifty, I go all the way down to tier eight for midfielders, but I only go down to tier two for forwards, meaning there is a hell of a lot more midfielders available at the top end of the draft than there is forwards. So what that does is it pushes a guy like Max Gorn or Jason horn Francis or Tristan Cherry or Dylan Moore a lot higher in the draft compared to their averages when compared to the midfield is being taken around those same spots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense, like if you miss that, if you miss a forward and it's sort of those you know, after the first couple of rounds, you really just end up your f one could just be Josh Tracy or something. I mean we were just looking at his ADP. I mean he had a great season last year, Josh Tracy from Fremantle. But you'll be looking at a player even worse than that dropping down if you sort of miss out on those top tier players. So I like to include that in my ranking as well. Now coming to draft day, guys, we've prepared ourselves with draft day. Unless there was anything else you guys want to think.
Speaker 4: The only thing would be you mentioned F one, which might not be familiar to people. Are you talking about he's going to drive the race car? Is that what Tracy's doing?
Speaker 3: What's an F.
Speaker 4: One doesn't for someone that hasn't looked at draft stuff before. And we'll obviously use that term. And you know D one, M one fairly interchangeably. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that would be my number one forward, so sitting at my top, well, my top averaging forward. Yeah, it's a great point. Yeah we are. We are starting from scratch here on this one oh one podcast. So my F one would be my top forward, My M one would be my top mid D one, top defender R one. Generally you only have I'd say most unless you're a crazy league would have one ruck. I don't think you want to be going two.
Speaker 4: And then, also, as someone who's done it before, don't do it.
Speaker 2: There's only twelve good ruckman guys like, don't try and carry two through a league.
Speaker 1: And what are we calling flex is FL one.
Speaker 3: Just a flex factor?
Speaker 1: So you can. Actually, it's a new feature this year and it is available for draft. We have had some people, you know, question ask on the socials if you can use flex in draft this year, So you absolutely can. It is a feature that you can use in draft, and I know Lefdog. It's a hotly debated topic in your league at the moment whether to use flex.
Speaker 2: It is and the reason unless you've got a gentleman's agreement over how it's going to be used for people just starting draft, but I would encourage you probably not to use it because essentially you're giving yourself another spot to take a ruckman. And if you if you're drafting at a certain point the you're able to take two really good ruckmen, it means that's a whole other team that's essentially not going to get a ruckman later they're not going to be able to make up the points different So for starter leagues, I'd encourage you probably not to do it, and for more experienced leagues, I'd probably still encourage you not to do it. Dossie, I don't want to get too lost to the weeds, but there are some other features that have been outed this year. You can now control how many players are scoring during the buy rounds, so rather than in previous years I've just skipped buy rounds, we can now reduce the amount of on field scorers for buy rounds, so that'll be easy to navigate. And also the waiver of y order is now slightly different. We can talk about that in a slightly more advanced option. But it's good to see that there's some support for the Super Coach Draft platform.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and just quickly. The flex position is that you can choose any position. I didn't mention that as well if you haven't come across it. We've talked a lot about flex though on the other podcast, so hopefully you've seen that. But you can just pick any player from any position in that flex spot. So yeah, as Lex mention, you could have a couple of rucks unless you do a gentleman's agreement in the in the in the league no rucks in that flex position. Maybe that would work all right. So we have come up to our draft day. Now this is the fun part and maybe we can talk to if you guys have had any fun experiences on draft day. But what is the best way to go about Draft day? Patch in terms of you've got to you know, there's a few things that have to happen. You've got to set your draft order. Who's taking pick one, who's getting the last pick? Are you going to do a snake draft, which means when you get to the last pick, the person that had the last pick gets the first pick in the second round and then you go on like that. So how do you go about draft day? And you know, it's probably good to have some of those things prep beforehand.
Speaker 4: I think the most important thing about draft day is the food. And ironically, I think it's the food. If you're going to, like have a big barbecue, like one of the guys that we're in a league with every year, those like fantastic smoked meats. I'm not joking, make a day of it, you know, bring something to drink along as well. You know, if you're that way inclined, it makes it a much better day out and a better experience. So don't neglect the now you're there for the draft, you're there for the fantasy footy. Don't neglect the actual, like the really good side of it, because.
Speaker 3: That's really fun.
Speaker 4: But you know, on your day, you know, I think you should always go with a snake draft. That way, you know, it evens out. Otherwise, the person that has picked one in a say a ten team league, has pick eleven and pick you know, twenty one, and they've just got an advantage. I think you need that snake draft to make sure that you don't have an advantage in terms of how you decide who has picked one and how you have pick ten. You can you know, go wild. You can draw like draw out of a hat. You can you know, I know leagues that will find a race somewhere around the country that has the same number of horses running as there are people in the league, and then assign everyone a horse, and then that's the pick you start with. You can do a foot race down the street, you can do anything and anything. You know, the positions from last year can then decide where you go this year. You can have a bit of fun with it to decide how you go about it, and then you know, you all sit around, you all have laptops and the supercoach page open. But I also think it's very fun if you have a big shed of paper up on the wall, or lots of different sheets of paper where you can write your player's name down and stick them up so that everyone can see who you've just taken and stolen from them. It makes a bit more interactive, a bit more physical, a bit more fun.
Speaker 3: Is how I know?
Speaker 4: How like Ca and I often go about the draft day we have together each year.
Speaker 1: How about you, leck have you had any much fun on draft Day? I know you mentioned before it's one of your favorite days. So how do you go about it? And what's your tips for a successful draft day?
Speaker 2: Look, I mean Patches nailed it. It's still in person. If you can get as many people in the draft as you can in person, and then you can collectively bully anyone who's not there in person and to make their picks faster. I agree, good food, good drinks. I'm supportive of sticky notes on a big board or a big window to do your picks and then entering it in through the Supercoach app or website doing it off. Then you can do it off one computer rather than everyone having a computer. But like it is, it is Christmas. It is Christmas, so I would encourage you to have a prize for last years for the previous year's draft. We've got a trophy that gets engraved in another League. We've got some rings we give out award those make it a worthwhile event to come to giveaway prizes, just like it's it is. And because I mean the people listening, I don't know where the demographics are. The people on this podcast are slowly getting older, so you do see your friends less and less. So it's a great excuse patch up. It's good.
Speaker 4: Hey maybe slow and old, but I'm not What was the third thing you said?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there's a few a few other fun ways to do draft. I know some good friend of mine from the Draft Doctors, Stevie Fizz. He always does the Royal Rumble and each person picks a picks a wrestler and in the Royal Rumble, people get thrown out of the ring. So I think, I don't know which way it goes. I'm not a I'm not a wrestling fan, but as the wrestlers go down, you've got to pick. It's either when they come out, like what position they come into this into the ring, or when they get thrown out. So yeah, that's that's a fun way. I know some people do the same thing, but on whether that's on PlayStation or something, people just play different games like I often like if it's not like a physical challenge, because people have, you know, obviously different levels of physical challenges you get older, so as well. Yeah, I think those those are some great things to talk about for draft day. Now, what are some strategies in the actual draft itself? Just briefly, This season, probably you know, is always different to the last. Sometimes you're looking to draft defenders early if there's, as you said, positional scarcity in the defensive range or the forward range lec dog. How are you approaching this draft in terms of just sort of who you want to draft in the early rounds positionally and sort of where your gut feel is at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think there's I mean, with the exception of say a Max Corn and a Tristan Jerry Sherry Jerry Sherry, Cherry Cherry, I think you're pretty much taking mids with your first pick. If you're at the back end of a first round, I'm talking like an eighteen team first round, you might look to a Jason Horn Francis or a Luke Ryan type or Harry Sheezel. I think initially it's the mids that I'm targeting early because you want to Basically, you just want to maximize how many points your team is going to score. I know that sounds really obvious, and they're going to score the most in the rock line and the midfield, and then the defense and then the ford. So you generally I either punt forwards or punt rucks when it draft day, and punting means I'm basically just going to ignore them and take what'sever left. Towards the end, my focus is going to be about building points on field, in defense and in the midfield. This year's slightly frin I think we've got enough decent rock options that you can take one in the middle of your draft. So but as per usual, I will be punting forwards, and because I know that no one's going to pick Lincoln McCarthy, and I know that Lincoln McCarthy's going to be like a top fifteen total points forward for the year, So you can punt forwards. Trust me. If you get Jason North Francis, that's very nice. If you get Bailey Smith or Jack McCrae, that's also nice. But if you're not getting them, don't worry about it. Just get midfielders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of like you look at your team, and your team might be very very light on forwards if you are punting that position. But it's just the temptation just you can't if you're punting, You've got to punt it, like you can't just go okay, ah, no, I've got no one I better take. I hope don't want to rag on Josh Tracy again because he's well, he could be the whipping Look, look, I don't want to take I don't know alex Neil Bullen this early because say he averages eighty four, you're picking him in those mid rounds and you're like, okay, I really want to forward. I'm going to pick him. He should be a really good forward. But you might be able to pick someone that's going to average, you know, five four points less, and you're getting him several rounds later, and in making that position, you're just you're going to get instead in that spot, you'll get a midfield of the average one hundred and five instead of waiting and missing and then they drop another ten or fifteen. So you're probably sacrificing points in those that midfield position or those stronger scoring lines rather than afford But that is a bit more of an advanced I suppose draft discussion for what we're talking about today, Patch, Do you have any sort of just general thoughts about this season, whether that's you know, who you're looking at drafting early, or just the way that the landscape is this season for Super Coach Draft.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of intrigued by the forward line this year, and then I think there is a lot of value there, but I think there's every chance that there's just a run that will just start on the forwards and then it'll just be over and then that's when you bail. And when I say run, often it generally happens with the rucks where everyone's been taking midfielders. Everyone is very happy taking midfielders, and then somebody takes a ruck and Maxicorn's off the table, for example, and then everyone kind of looks around the room and just goes, oh, oh, well, I guess we're doing rucks now, And then Cherry will go, and then Marshall will go, and then you know, like Brody Grundy will go, and suddenly everyone's going other and not many good rucks left.
Speaker 3: Oh, we should all get a ruck now.
Speaker 4: While like they're going hot, everyone dive in and I think try like sticking to a plan and avoiding the the you know, the the peer pressure and the game theory of it is very important when you see people making a mad dash for the back line as defenders start going and you know you've got you know, say, for defenders you're happy with you don't you go, oh, well, I'm just going to go off elsewhere and while everyone is busy, you know, having a riot in the back line, I'm just going to pick off a few forwards or pick off a few mids that are still sitting there, like don't be afraid to run against the crowd in in a lot of those situations that said, I'm as guilty as anyone of seeing rucks start going and panicking and then picking, you know, picking Raley O'Brien towards the end of a run and going, I'm deeply dissatisfied with this selection. What have I done to myself yet again? And then you know, yeah, yeah, you just you d kind of got to play the meta game between the people you're drafting as well, which is why it's so fun to do it in person, and that it's easy to hurl abuse at people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's those sneaky coaches that draft two rucks, yeah and just bank on one and put them on the bench so that somebody else can't who is punting rucks later can't get that sneaky position.
Speaker 2: Like I was just going to say that, well, yes, that is a tactic you can do. But I think going into a draft having an idea of whether you're going to go sort of upside breakout players or you're going to go the tried and trued players, because while you disparaged Riley O'Brien their patch, you give you ninety points every single week, and that's actually really good. In draft, I tend to fall into the favor of the tried and true guys, where I'm like, I know what the floor is. I'm going to back in the veterans over the young guys, and that generally shows in my ranks. So just kind of having an idea of where you personally sit I sit in I have to have seen it to believe it, rather than going early on I don't know who's a breakout contender this year that everyone's jumping on.
Speaker 1: I just want to we'll get some final thoughts at the end as well from you guys, But I think we've touched on all the sort of major basics of draft. We do recommend jump in there, make your team, and start organizing early, because you know you've still got plenty of time before round one the game starts, so i'd start organizing yourselves nice and early. But I think one tip at the end here for a successful league. We've talked about a lot of tips in different areas of the game, but just one final tip heading into draft season. I'll start with mine because I think this is a really important one when you are beginning to think about draft, and that is to have an organized and very die hard, keen commissioner. I think it's really important to have someone that's really the most passionate. So if you're listening to this podcast, you're probably the one putting your hand up. I think if you've listened to this, you need to be the commissioner, get your mates organized, figure out the settings you want, and somebody needs to kind of take control. And that's the only way that really these things, you know, come to fruition. You have to have a commissioner that sets it up, that gets ever on the league codes, invites everyone and gets it started, so that would be my suggestion. There is ways to do it. If you don't have a core crew of friends that are super into super you know, you can go into forums, you can go to Twitter, you can go all over the internet to find mates that will play super coach. And I know some people that you know in our super Coach community that have made you know lifelong friends from these these interactions online. Solek, I'll pass over to you, but yeah, that was my tip. Have a super keen commission and you'll have a great time in your league.
Speaker 2: Have a group chat, whether it's wiped up or Facebook or a text thread. I found email threads don't work as well. That way, everyone's engaged, you can talk about the league. The worst thing of it that can happen in a draft league is after a few weeks, everyone just kind of dips off and gets sort of not interested. Got a group chat, you can meme it up. You can communicate core information, and a little thing that I do in quite a few of my leagues, we do like a weekly wrap up where someone writes a sentence about each team or does a power rankor and whatever, and like it takes five minutes to do, but everyone waits all week just to see where are they going to sit in the power rankings or what the comment is about their team. So have fun with it, but have a group chat, keep that, keep that engagement high.
Speaker 1: Love it patch your tip for a successful league.
Speaker 3: Have fun.
Speaker 4: Like it sounds cheesy and silly and dumb, but like, if you're not enjoying it, what you would like? You know, what what are you doing? Like make it fun as like you spoke about, you know, have that that banter between people in the league. Make sure you're still in contact and talking about the league, you know, here and there. Otherwise you know, it kind of withers on the vine and dies a little bit. So you know, make sure it's not seen as a chore every week, like go through wave wire and enjoy it. But yeah, I think it's between that and make sure you know you've got a good draft day because that's the thing that will keep people coming back. Otherwise it kind of gets very easy to get to February and go, oh, we should organize that draft again. I guess, like, what are we doing? We'll just do it online. It's too hard. Try and make it fun, making an event because it is it's like, I think it's the best way to play Super Coach because it's just, you know, every team is different. You get that experience of going through and picking guys who you'd never look at in the fantasy format, and everyone's you know, everyone just gets to have a good time, and why can't we just all have fun?
Speaker 2: I think on that patch one of the great things about draft is seeing those players that you're not used to. So everyone who played draft over the last two years isn't surprised James Petling's a good football player. So for Super Coach Classic, I guess everyone gets the same information. You're sort of almost a step ahead because you're aware of who's scoring well even though they're not a big name.
Speaker 3: So you get to feel smug about it.
Speaker 2: You do get to feel smug about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do tend to keep track of those state leagues a bit more, which is a big part of what we'll be talking about in season. We'll keep track of some Wave WI picks. We'll talk more about trading as well, and set a bit like you know, the big key as well. My final tip is a second one here is like you don't win the league at the draft as much as we love our draft, we love doing our rankings, we love picking all those players on draft day, You're not going to win your full league on draft generally speaking, because there's a lot it's a long seasons. Patch does, but I do. Generally speaking. People get injured, things change, roles change, You might have missed a pick or two, you might have stuffed some up, somebody might have traded out. Like things can change, and to be able to stay on top of that is what draft's all about as well. So whether you're willing and deal and trading to get someone in to fix your team up, whether you're picking up a gem off the wave ye there is. So you know, some of the names off the Wave of Wye in the last few years have just been incredible players that start not in the team or start just not being drafted, and all of a sudden the super coach guns so.
Speaker 4: Laws and Humphreys wave a way, goat. Did we talk about what the Wave way actually physically is?
Speaker 1: Go ahead? Patch?
Speaker 4: So basically, you know, you finish your draft. Everyone has the perfect team, the best team that's ever been assembled. No team will ever be better than that. Then a guy gets injured and you've like, you're like, oh, I you know, he's out for the season, he's done his knee.
Speaker 3: What do I do?
Speaker 4: And then you go to the pile of all the players that have been left over, and that's the wave of wire and basically you'll you'll go in and you'll say, hello, I would like to pick up Laws and Humphreyes please, I'd like him in my team, and then you know that'll put in a bid, and then everyone else can put in bids and it kind of decides, you know, based on ladder order, who will get the first picks. And then you all kind of you know, can pick off the steaming heap that is what's left of all the players to find those little nuggets of gold. So there'll be plenty of players, especially the smaller your league is, the more players are left over. And so when the pool that you can pick from, and you know, rifling through there to pick up someone very good is a great feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you can set your waivers settings as well to last you know, if people can't get a chance to check their you know, teams until a little bit later in the week, you can set those waivers settings so that they'd last long, longer, or shorter, depending on how you know how much interest is in your league, or when people can check their phones if they're in different time zones or whatever that may be. So that's also nice feature because once the waiver period is over, you can just pick up players willing nearly off the free agency pool. But those waivers are basically like you're bidding to pick up this place, so they're clearly going to be If you're using one of those waivers, you'll then go shuffle from the top on the waiverpool to the bottom. So you've got to make sure I'm going to spend this waiver kind of wisely. So I know people that just tend to wait, hold it out and hold that waiver until they find a really good pick, which is what I tend to do and hit the fregency pool. But anyway, great tip to finish off, we will be talking waver Wire in season, but next up we're going to be talking out rankings. Thanks very much for joining us Lekdog and Patch on the first episode of Drafted. We will be back, I believe next week for some rankings our beginning of ranking season, so it will see you then.
Speaker 4: H m hm