Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to the Maspuny Podcast and part three of this little investigation series here in Bali. In this episode, you're gonna hear me sit down we Beck prior to her undergoing this rib recontouring procedure. You will hear me repeatedly ask her just why are you doing this? And you'll also hear me midway through. I suppose have this continual internal battle of like being yes, I am here in this country to document this trip and what is happening, whilst yes, sharing my opinion on it all, but also as I sat with Beck, I just realized more than ever I am also someone here in this country amongst this who just doesn't want her to.
Speaker 2: Get this done. Hi, Beck, Hi, Josh, back on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Back on the pod.
Speaker 1: Baby, Now I must point out tomorrow is your surgery. You You've arrived with a vape and a glass of wine, two things that are not really permitted pre surgery.
Speaker 3: Hello, this is half veno half soda water. It's just one.
Speaker 1: It's not really doing the rumors very well that you may have an issue.
Speaker 3: I'm on holiday, I have an issue?
Speaker 2: Off?
Speaker 3: Fuck off?
Speaker 2: Is this a holiday?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? You're joking.
Speaker 4: Seven days in one of the best hotels in the world and free cosmetic surgery.
Speaker 3: This is a holiday for me.
Speaker 1: I suppose we've had a lot of backlash or yeah. Usually i'd say you, but I've been dragged into it.
Speaker 2: It's fair.
Speaker 1: I knew documenting this would be controversial. You're doing a job, though, Josh, Yeah. I mean, I'm a journalist and Cole take opinions. But for me, like the thing that's different now to when I used to do surgery stuff for the magazines years ago is when you're a journalist, you can't really have an opinion or a voice. You just write, whereas now is like a creator. You know, I've said to you about twenty times in the last twenty four hours, why are you doing this?
Speaker 3: Yes, you have and every opportunity you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm still letting you come back out if you want.
Speaker 3: Not backing out, no, I.
Speaker 1: Think, well tell me why are you here to have your ribs recontored?
Speaker 4: Get contouring of the ribs, So first and foremost we're not getting ribs removed, that's not a thing. They're contoured. So it's essentially vis and VISI line for your ribs. So people get their teeth done. Anyone that wants to do my teeth, I'm in the running for that two place. Every hook me up. You know, we've all talked about the weight I've lost and whatnot, and you know, I I'm happy to do anything like this will be my third cosmetic procedure and this won't be my last.
Speaker 1: So but did you actually want these things? Are you're just doing it for the sake of it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I didn't think about it.
Speaker 4: I've always looked at my body and thought, okay, so I've got I'm a part of the itty bitty titty committee, right. I have tiny boobs, they're not really any boobs, right, and I don't have a bum. And so when I look at myself in the mirror, I've got a little bit of a shit shape. But I will eventually get my boobs done. But I don't want massive kahunas, right, But in order to get that sort of hour glass looking figure, you would need to have your bum done and your boobs done massive to have this.
Speaker 3: This figure right. And so when it when when it came to me.
Speaker 4: I consulted a number of people, doctors and whatnot, and said, is this is this feasible. All it works, It is safe, yep. And you know, I had some serious discussions with people and they were like, look, it's it's not invasive. It's a bloodless it's a bloodless procedure and it works. And so I thought about it and I thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want this done as much as I sat there with back listening and thinking like, sure, everything you're saying is valid. And again, it is your body, and in all of our own heads we have these visions, you know, of how we would love to look if we could. But but just as we continue to chat, I question her more and more like, is that the sole reason you're doing this? Or is this just partly because of the virality. You know, it's going to bring the controversy and the dopamine hit you're going to get from that. But I feel you no offense. Maybe do things for the plot because last time we spoke, you had fallen in love with it hadn't fallen in You were falling in love with a male Lescot And we did a whole chat where you were questioning could you pursue a relationship with a man whose job is having sex with of a women? And you were genuinely like you thought you could because you like this man so much. And that was maybe seven weeks ago. You've not You've not mentioned this guy once in what two days in Ballet.
Speaker 4: I haven't mentioned him once in in Bali yet, So that's over.
Speaker 3: Firstly, I've never said I was falling in love with an escort.
Speaker 2: You should strong feelings, do you know.
Speaker 3: I don't think I did.
Speaker 4: Look, he's a beautiful human. He's just not my human. And that's just where it is at. But still respect for anyone in the sex industry.
Speaker 2: But do you remember when we did that chat in my house?
Speaker 1: Yep, and I was like, this is not what I thought our follow up chat with the escort, and then I said, maybe six seven weeks, I want to do another follow off of How I Am. Never did I think would be in Balibo getting your rips.
Speaker 3: Do you know what? Yeah, I probably do do things with a plot.
Speaker 4: I speaking to my manager the other day and she was like, oh, Beck, I'm really nervous for you, And I said to her, but Babe, like, I don't care what anyone thinks, right, I live my life doing what I want to do when I want to do it, And hatter is it going to hate?
Speaker 1: As Beck and I continued chatting, we kept circling back to this point of self love, which to her at least is the reason she's here doing this. But to me and I suppose so many other people on the outside at least, it feels it's perhaps more something she's doing in the hope it will finally bring her the self love she's always been searching for, especially after losing thirty kilos in like the last three years, I think, and still not being happy when she looks in the mirror, while now endlessly being criticized by millions of people online daily.
Speaker 4: Let me give you an example, right, Okay, So I'm going to do some body contouring that's going to make me feel better. I've got a lot of loose skin. This is the most vulnerable I'm ever going to be, because when I have my surgery done, I've said to you, if we're going to do this, I want, I want, I want people to see all of me.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I've got loose skin, and I'm insecure about it, right I am, I just am. I'm proud of myself for where I've gotten to, but there's parts of me that I that I can't stand sometimes looking in the mirror.
Speaker 3: But but.
Speaker 4: I am doing something that I am excited about for myself, and I am going to always do.
Speaker 3: This isn't to be my last cosmetic precadure. Put it that way.
Speaker 4: Your body, your choice, what you feel confident with, in what you feel comfortable with, fucking do it. So why are all these Karens coming at me? Let me get my ribs done.
Speaker 1: The thing I find sad here is just the two extremes that Beck constantly sits between and I suppose lives between. And you know, for months now, since appearing the Maths, there has been tens of thousands of comments, if not more hundreds of thousands of comments of people picking apart every part of Beck's appearance, and you know, they'll write things like she should get this done, she should change that. That's horrible, like all these very vicious comments, and a lot of people write them thinking Beck will never read them, But she does read them, any posts about her, any news posts she's on there, she's in the comments, and she's seeing all these messages. And then after you know, she's announced via this series, will Hey, I'm now in Bali and I'm about to change something. Now it's the opposite, and these thousands of comments from people going this is stupid, this is extreme, this is potentially dangerous. Why are you doing this? Why can't you love who you are? And then when you have someone like Beck in the middle of all that, who, let's be honest, is insecure and has spent much of a life battling with her body image. When like an offer for a trip like this and a new procedure here in Balley pops up, I can see why she, like back, someone like Beck would jump at that chance to just change one thing, which again is.
Speaker 2: Just quite sad.
Speaker 1: There's this thing where overall people are saying, why are you doing this rip thing? It's stupid. But then you've got thousands of people saying, but you should do this instead, and do it, and it's like get.
Speaker 4: Your teeth done, get your mouth done, get your jaw done, get your skin done, get you this done, get your nose done. Like trust me, if I could, I would, nah, please don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get a brain trance plant. It's like a fuck off, Jeremy.
Speaker 4: What the way I'm what I'm working my like, what I'm working myself off of is this is my body, and this is my choice, and I'm choosing to share it with people because I'm sure that there's some people out there.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: To be honest with you, the amount of private messages that I've had from people saying, oh my god, I didn't realize I could get this done, where are you getting it done?
Speaker 3: And what is it?
Speaker 4: Right, you would be surprised, I'd probably say in the hundreds right of people being like, Wow, I actually want this.
Speaker 1: This is what worries me in a weird way because you know, this is now being quite the fastest growing surgery in the world. Yes, it's not available in Australia yet because it takes a long time for things to be approved there. Yes, which is why people are coming to Bali. And now it's essentially available to the Australian market in Bali, and yes they you Athena. Everyone here is going to document the reality. I'm going to say what it's really like. But then I just worry it sets this new standard because you remember the Kardashians popped along and Kylie had the big lips, but for years she denied getting filler. She was saying it was her lip or something. And then that was just a lie yep, and then Kim had the big one whatever, and it's like the more people kept seeing that, and then more people copy them, so then it's set its standard. And now it feels like in America, especially this RiPP thing, this snatch waste, it's huge. Yeah, and that's where I saw it, and I read it in my mama Miir who said this is the next thing. Yep. And I didn't really think it had hit Australia so quick. And I get your all being honest, but then do you worry that you contact on young girls like in saying three months, once everyone's recovered in all your pictures, you've got this new hourglass waist, which isn't the sea, it's not the the not the thing to boast about right now, Like you know, people are going to see that, and they'll see it more and more, and they'll see a Fino and all the other girls, and then gradually it's going to be like, well, young girls, ago, well I want that. Oh you can't get that in the gym because it's either you're born with this or you're not. It's bones in your body, essentially.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 4: Look, I have a responsibility as someone that's online and that is open to everyone about Like, you know, everyone can see my social media. That can see my TikTok, that can see my Instagram, that can see my Facebook. They can see it, all right, And I understand that I have a responsibility.
Speaker 3: To the people, to the younger people.
Speaker 4: I mean, my demographic is ninety five percent women, and the the age the ages are probably.
Speaker 3: Around twenty seven to forty five who follow me.
Speaker 4: However, I'm going to come back at you and say, well, all right, is this setting a bad standard for someone? But then what happens if someone sees me and I walk out and I've got some little body chondress on and I look some hot effie cats number, you know, stylish, and these young girls are going I wish I had a waistlength that, and then they hate themselves. But I've been honest and said, this is what I've gotten done. And if you want to get to this point instead of hating yourself because you don't look like a feno or mean almost look like me, obviously, sit thisloth over here.
Speaker 2: But like I put yourself downe with shut up, someone give.
Speaker 3: Me free teeth.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just kidding but like, you know, if they look like me or any of the other girls, instead of like doing a car and.
Speaker 3: Saying I'm just natural, this is just what I'm like. If you train this way, then you'll attain this. That's also not being responsible for.
Speaker 1: At least they will instantly know, Hey, you may be looking and want this figure, but this isn't natural.
Speaker 2: I paid for this. This was cosmetic.
Speaker 4: But this is a critical situation that I've done. I've made an informed decision about and I am not responsible.
Speaker 3: I understand that.
Speaker 4: What I do you know now in the public eye is i have a responsibility to be ethical and open about what I'm doing. But at the same time, I'm not responsible for anyone else's decisions about their body, and therefore no one else is responsible to make a decision about mine.
Speaker 1: One thing that is hard when talking to Back is how often she just puts herself down. If I'm being honest and like, this isn't me claiming to be a psychologist, I'll have some deep.
Speaker 2: Understanding of why people do things they do. But I mean, if you.
Speaker 1: Just endlessly speak about yourself negatively and frame it negatively in your mind, like when you look at yourself all that is going to do is reinforce this belief in you that you constantly need to change yourself. Does all of your choices with that come from a place of insecurity?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Look this this will be my most vulnerable and my most insecure. Like everyone's like share someone insecure on maps. This coming up, your your documentary about this about me. This is where I'm going to be letting my walls down in a way that I've never before. You get naked, you have a shag whatever, like it's good fun and like you know, like that's great. But I'm allowing, not allowing. I don't want to sound like I'm that sounds what's the word not allowing?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 3: We even we have collaborated.
Speaker 1: You're happy to when we spoke about me doing this and I was asking your reasons. Obviously you have lost a lot of way in recent years, and every time I've met you this year, there's always been a moment where you've looked at yourself in the mirror. You've looked at way you are in and you complained about your skin, or you've tried to hide something, or even this morning at breakfast the group of us, the first thing you did was like, show how you're hiding your belly, and I said, you don't have to do that.
Speaker 4: Because I know I'm thin, right, I know I'm little, but I do you. I'm where I've invited you in to actually film the most vulnerable parts of me, which is what's underneath my clothes. I know I can put an outfit together a look schmick, but what's underneath my clothes is my insecurity.
Speaker 1: It's my tomorrow. When I'm coming to the hospital with you. You're going to have the scan and stuff before they draw on your body, and you say you've never you want, Well, you told me you want to show people because there's so many people that are going to relate to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm a real woman. I'm a real human being, and I of course like not no one walks around like some of these influences here like are the like they're so perfect and view and they're still standing there being like, oh I hate this or I hate this my hair, And it's like, so no one anyone out there that sits here and says, oh, yeah, I love every aspect of me.
Speaker 3: Good on you.
Speaker 4: I wish I could get to that point, but I'm a real woman who's gone through real time things, who was overweight for a long time, much to the reddit people's dismay of no, she wasn't. And so from that, I'm proud of myself of where I've gotten to, but I have insecurities about the loose skin on my stomach.
Speaker 1: Something I hope that would potentially happen through this series is that by back not just talking openly about the loose skin she is so insecure about after her weight loss, but making that choice, like through me and the content, that she wants to show it publicly for the first time and like stop hiding it as if it's something to be ashamed of. Is that perhaps or I thought, maybe naively, that it may lead to this like moment of empowerment for her where she realizes that, you know, she's just not a lot with this or this single insecurity, and there'll be so many people out there, women especially, who feel the same and also spend so much of their life hiding you know, certain parts of themselves. And then maybe again naively, I thought, back having that little moment, it may make her see that, you know, instead of going to such extremes of physically changing things like with this procedure, maybe for Beck at least, you know, should realize the thing she should focus on changing first is her mentality and how she sees herself and refers to herself.
Speaker 4: Like I've got shaggy boobs and I've got ssagy skiin and like my bomb, I don't have a bum anymore, like you know, And because I've lost all my boobs and my bomb, I look like I.
Speaker 3: Look very blocky.
Speaker 4: And so when this came up, I was like, yeah, I want this, I want to do this.
Speaker 2: And do you feel confident since you lost the wight?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Way more confident, way more confident. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think that getting dressed is fun, you know, walking around and not feeling self conscious, like coming to Bali and I came down for breakfast this morning in a bikini top, pants and a shirt, but like I was still walking around exposed, confident, you know, getting dressed to go for dinners and putting on a little dress and not sitting there and trying on fifteen thousand outfits and hating every one of them because I hated what I see in the mirror.
Speaker 3: It's changed my life.
Speaker 1: But if some of that confidence maybe forced or convincing yourself.
Speaker 4: Nah, No, I don't think so. I think because I love what I love what I look like with clothes on. But what I look like with clothes off is what hits my soul hard. I struggle with my with my loose skin, and I struggle with the fact that I train, but I no matter how much I train, like I've got muscles, but there's still loose skin.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 3: I hate it. I hate it.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 4: I get that, it's just fucking hate.
Speaker 1: It makes me sad in a way that like I get it. And especially know the industry. You're in your class as an influencer. Now you've got an audience, so you're going to all these beauty events and you're around essentially perfect people endlessly because that's this industry. And I suppose, you know, maybe you got to this mindset where you did feel comfortable, but then certainly you're now in this new extreme of fashion WEEKND models and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, there is a pressure, but I don't give in. I think we all know, right, you, me, the public, everyone. I think everyone knows that if I want to do something, I do it. If I don't want to do something, I don't do it. Right, and I don't feel pressured to do this. I want to, I want I want to do this. I don't feel pressure. You know, there's people in my life that are like, oh, don't do it. You You've been telling me fifteen hundred times, what are you doing, don't do it, don't do it?
Speaker 3: You are you sure you want to do this? And I get it. I hear you.
Speaker 4: I understand, but I've I've made an informed decision and it's something I want to do.
Speaker 3: I want to better myself. I want to do.
Speaker 4: I mean, come at me, teeth nose, boob done, skin cut off, get ready like it won't be the last cost minute procedure you've seen me get done.
Speaker 3: And I don't care. I don't care what anyone thinks. I want it. I'm getting it. I can't drink any more wine.
Speaker 1: To end Part three and this podcast episode, I'm again going to be quite honest with you here and say I didn't expect while coming over here to make this that I would feel so not just out of my depth, but also just powerless. Like through my career when I've done stories or podcasts, or even like when I wrote my book or whatever, there's usually I usually approach these things already kind of knowing the start, middle, and end, and then I find no way to tell that story or whatever the story within whatever happened is. But like here now, like this is ongoing and there is no end, or I suppose I'm realizing this is probably not going to have the end I thought it may when you know, constantly being here speaking to Beck on and off camera and questioning why she's doing this, why she speaks down on herself, like I thought maybe it would give her that light bulb moment where she finally just stop for a second and realize that, hey, the only thing she should be changing, just for now at least is how she sees herself and refers to herself. And you know, maybe then she would decide not to do this procedure here and just go home to Australia, or at least just decide not to do it right now this week, while still being trolled daily, while her life stills such a whirlwind, and just yeah, like take more time to question is this really what she wants?
Speaker 2: And why is she doing it?
Speaker 1: And you know, change how she views herself first, and then go do I want this? But nah, I'm realizing, especially after that chart, that yeah, this is real life, it's not fiction. I can't just give this the ending I wanted or hoped. And you know, no matter how much I ask beck things in question and you know, say, are you really really really sure about this, I'm not going to be changing her mind. And the only person who can change her mind is herself. And you know, there's now a few hours left until she goes to the hospital to have the procedure, and yeah, I don't think she will be. But again, yeah, actually no, I didn't like the ending to this podcast. And several hours have passed since I recorded that, and I've actually got one more thing to say before surgery day tomorrow. It's quite late here and now, so apologies if I sound a bit flat, like I am very tired, to be honest.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: Like, throughout this trip, right, I keep hearing this phrase my body, my choice, And to be clear, I agree with that readult has the right to make decisions about their own body.
Speaker 2: Of course they do.
Speaker 1: But it's starting to feel like and this isn't just like beck A, Feena, the people on this trip, it feels like broader just in general, like it's starting to feel that phrase is often like a shield that can shut down like any conversations before they even begin, because yeah, again.
Speaker 2: Of course it's your body, your choice.
Speaker 1: But when you're someone who's built a career sharing your life online, monetizing an audience and influencing thousands and even sometimes millions of people, like the conversations then do become much bigger than you because you've put your life out there for millions of people. And you know, it doesn't mean you deserve trolling or abuse or strangers dictating what you can and can't do, like, not at all, but it does mean that people are allowed to ask questions and have an opinion because you've built a career, like you pay your bills by essentially having those people have opinions about you, and like they're not always going to be positive, like and I accept that about myself, Like I choose to put myself out there with the podcast and my content and like my book and whatever, Like that's just a reality. Not everyone is gonna agree with me and things. Not everyone's even gonna like me. That's fine. I accept that makes me sad at times tonight, it doesn't ed it off topic, but yeah, when we're talking about something as divisive as cosmetic procedures. Of course it's gonna have huge reactions from people because it's something so many people feel so strongly about. And one of the most prominent comments I've seen, like across my content so far from this trip, and especially from people I'm not gonna call that personally who I'm very surprised at their takes on this. But that's a whole other thing is like, even Josh, how can you be part of promoting this?
Speaker 2: Josh, Like you're not what we fought you.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I don't understand that because again, because the sad reality is young people are being exposed to this content every single day, and and they don't have to seek it out. It's pushed to them through algorithms and recommended posts and sponsored content and just scrolling. And it's on TV, it's on Netflix, it's everywhere you look. These people essentially been like, look how hotly I'm after all this work. And again, as I said in yesterday's podcast, and we now live in a world where every single scroll essentially suggests we're one procedure away from becoming the person we're supposed to be, and that is the thing that concerns me most, and that is why I'm here doing this, because I think we just need to keep bringing the context behind it, bringing in the why, asking why, understanding the why, like why are so many beautiful people convinced that they're not enough? Why are so many people now younger and younger altering their appearances so drastically and permanently, Like these are the conversations I want to have on this, And that's why again I'm here, Like I want everyone essentially, like just to be transparent from start to finish. Like so those young girls and guys, let's be honest, who will see the glamorized before and alfter pictures which are everywhere, you know, so they can then at least make more informed choices themselves about it if they actually want to be influenced by these people to copy what they've done and get the same work done, like understand the.
Speaker 2: Why why did they get there? Why did they do that?
Speaker 1: And then have that thought process in your mind rather than just seeing the pictures and yeah, copying. Fuck, I honestly didn't like think I'd be getting this deep with all of this content or how much it would low key be impacting me in a way I never expected anyway, Yeah, I help. This last part to the pod makes sense in my head, it makes sense, But I am so exhaust said that, I fear I'm not articulating myself very well. And this content, like the turnaround is so quick that I can't really sit with it to like do a proper script, like I would, you know, back home if I had infinite kind of speak, infinite time to work on this project.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a part four, probably tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I assume what will happen in that. I honestly, at this point I don't know. I don't know anything other than I'm going to go to bed now say it