Speaker 1: Welcome back back Fences. Look, we've just waited to do this podcast to see what the new Soal's team is. We're going to do a bit of a reaction to the announcement the Blues obviously Queensland are going to be tomorrow when recording this their team announcement. We've also got some mail on some transfer whispers before June thirty at different clubs, some big injury news over the weekend and some of the results, as well as a little bit of an update on where we think the competition's at the moment, and some big news out of the TV rights deal Matthew. But the new Sol's Blues side, we're about to read through it. But initial reaction, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Look, there's there's some surprises and there's no doubt about it. I think Laurie will play, and I'll explain it a little bit later when we get into it. I think he'll play. I think he'll play Ducks and drakes a little bit here in that in game two we thought he'd do a little bit shifting around the last minute. He didn't. I think he will here do you think yep? I think he will. There's some surprise selections. But there's a method there. Let's get into it. Let's talk.
Speaker 1: Let's read. Let's read number one, James Tedesco.
Speaker 2: Number just on Tedesco, I was of I thought that Dylan Edwards. I probably would have brought him in. However, you know, it was bad timing. Dylan and Panthers lost to the Cowboys, and he was underwhelming, what not one of his better games, and I probably thought that was enough. And Todsco was really strong. He was he was out on Fox Sports our high flyer of the round, got the most points for players under pressure, and so I suppose that for me is undereniable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the wingers, this is the biggest talking point, Mark Nagan, he played in game two, Jackie Bostock coming in to make his debut. Look, he's under and I have been playing really good for the Dolphins. But the biggest talking point Brian to a man who has done a lot for the Blues, has played really good anytime he's in that arena dropped.
Speaker 2: That's just that that's a big surprise.
Speaker 1: Did you can I ask you, like, because we've everyone speculating, you know this played. Was there ever a part of you that thought Biz was in doubt to be dropped potentially.
Speaker 2: Look, he hasn't played anywhere near his best, but I didn't think he'd be dropped. I just thought his yardage is invaluable, so that's why I thought he'd remain. But you know what, Coops, I'll say this. I wrote an article on Friday about Laws and I said, the biggest challenge for Laws is going to be to remove his natural self from selections. What I mean by that he's such a champion bloke and he's so loyal. But if you look at coaches like Wayne Bennett, who's like a father to his players, However, he'll kick someone out of the family if they stand between he and success. And for Laurie, he's got two big challenges. One is going out to some corpse stadium and winning, obviously, but the other big challenge was this challenge picking the team and been able to make some really ruthless, tough decisions. It was one of them. Interesting with Bostock, these two players could not be more different. So's just pure yardage. Justly the the greatest yardage winger in the history of the game. Boss Stock is a high kick target. Yeah yeah, as far as diffusing high kicks and as far as scoring high kicks, he will be a huge here human Markey mar Mark, knowing they will be big targets for Nathan Cleary and Moses.
Speaker 1: I did think that initially when I saw it, is like, obviously he's performed when he's in that jersey, probably not the last few games there. But we saw how isolated they probably tried to go after putting Jojo Fafieda on him in game two, So I have no doubt that may have played into hand of Look, maybe we want to have more kick targets for this game three, and there's no doubt that two of the best kick targets in the ENA right now is Jack Bostock and Mark. They are extremely good kick targets. So look, and what I'll say about Lorry, like people people giving it to Lorry, and like some decisions have been big, and I understand that that brings a lot of criticism. I've been critical with some of the decisions as well. But for a guy that everyone's like, you know, he's such a nice guy, fire out. He's not afraid to go against like what everyone else, like what people want and what people are saying, like he is quite more ruthless than I probably thought in terms of he's not afraid to make a big decision, like this is a big decision.
Speaker 2: I spoke to Lorry yesterday, had he armed him on the phone, and I tell what it was. I got what I got from it. When the way he was talking about the game, he actually sounded like the old Lorry like it made when Lurie was a player, mate, particularly in his early years. Mate, he was wild, like you know, like just so aggressive so forthright made him just tear in but and obviously do down there's the Lorry winner now. I just sensed when I had he earned him on the phone, there was a lot of the old Lorry like you're really decisive about things he was going to do in the game and certain things. I just went away and we'll get to it to the end. I've got a real I've got a real optimism about this game.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's come from a little bit of like a lot of the pressure. And it's almost like, you know, after this, if I'm going to go out, I'm going out.
Speaker 2: Of my terms. Here's the thing about laws and again this way I wrote this in an article. It doesn't matter what lass does right, It doesn't matter what side. There was no compete there was. There was never going to be a complete popular decision as far as his selections are concerned. Whoever he selected, he was always going to be branded one side a genius or a dunce. Either way, it doesn't matter. So the thing was loss. You just pick on your own intuition. Don't don't worry about what you the player you think you should pick or that. Mate, You just pick the side that you think you need to pick to win. Because mate, he knows winning. Mate, he's a winner.
Speaker 1: Because I haven't agree with some of the stuff that's happening in game one and game two, But at the end of the day, if he wins game three, all of that stuff's avoid Who.
Speaker 2: Gives a fuck bet anything's happening in game one, in game two, you know the selections, it didn't work out, you know the you know getting in the change is wrong, losing track of inner change, all they It does not matter is you clear the slate, just gonna win Game three. Well known to Jack Bostock. I remember Jack when the Dolphins first come into the competition, they signed him as a young bloke. I remember watching a trial game and they go, mate, this kid's something special and the poor had been a young Blake had at a barrier.
Speaker 3: Had a really tough one, and I thought, oh, yeah, okay, but I see it in the last twelve months they were spot on and he's a real special player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a good I watched him play on a nine ends origin. I think Jonah Pezant was his half and he put on an absolute clinic.
Speaker 2: Jackie I can repeat that here.
Speaker 1: And the centers Stephen Crichton and Bradman Bess looked.
Speaker 2: No surprises With Stephen Kricht, he's he's done, he's he's done. Fantastic at the Dogs going into six. Interesting watching him play six. Luke Kerey picked it up. He's doing the majority of the calling, he said, Like Luke Hey said, he's playing more half than probably than Lucky Galvin. But the other thing is defending three in you know, like him defending three and gives him greater control of that defensive edge as far as calls and everything, like he's the captain of that defense on the edge. And it's really stiffened the Dogs up. And so he reverts now to his preferred defensive position and this is the big matchup, he versus Calen pomer and that's the big one.
Speaker 1: Well, he'll be the right center and Bradman on the left. And you said that after gain to where Caylyn kept going down, they're putting Catoni Staggs under pressure and Nathan there as well. I mean he's you're talking about smart defensive centers who are also long and range. You can get in the passing lane, go for interceps. No one is better at it than Stephen Crichton.
Speaker 2: To let people know, you know how important it is inside and outside you to have a person you can rely on, like, for instance, if I you know, let's say, for instance, or like I'm defending and I've got a guy who's inexperienced on the outside and he's not talking to me. You've got to understanding defense. Half a second of silence is unnerving. So it's like, right here, you got what you're doing, and all of a sudden goes yeah yeah, yeah, silence at half a second. This is what forces you into a bad defensive route. What you need to hear from the inside and outside is I got him, I got him, I got him, I got him. Come in in kill him outside in outside in, you hear it continually. That gives you that safety and confidence to just do you're wrong.
Speaker 1: Yea, the best I ever played with doing that. Justin Olum he even though English like when he first come to Australia, he actually had to learn like English. Basically he's not strong. But when he got really good at communicating. To give people an example, if you're a half inside Justin Olim he would live some of the stuff that he would say to you. And Stephen Crichton is the same. You can see he communicates exact same. He's loud and he will actually identify the shape that's coming. You've got a back rower that's going to run at your inside shoulder. Justin used to say he was like Cooper, the blocks on you, the blox on you. And then he'd say if he's going deep, old jam like, he'll make you comfortable so you actually know what's coming. Center is the most important position on the field. They get the best view and they're the ones, oftentimes are the ones that I identify in the actual shape in communicating to the heart.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to say that because when we played the three inn was the most important. He was the shot caller. He depended. He was the one that decided. We used to call a Newcastle a red defense was up and in the green defense was up and hold and slide. But these days generally everyone just goes up square and the center makes that defensive decision, don't they think if they gam or whatever. So that's on him, But yeah, that's that's that's really smart from Oldham to actually recognize the shape and then talk you through it. Bradman on that left side, I thought they might have went for Turba, but at the end of the day, Turbo hasn't played a lot of center. You put a bloke in there and Bradman's Bradman's strong.
Speaker 4: I think Bradman's got an excellent record of origin. I think the most controver, like the controversial part of that is probably leaving Cooler out. I'd say Bradman's probably pretty trusted. I don't think anyone's saying that's a bad decision at all. It's a great decision. But Cole has probably been hard done by whether it comes in anywhere, whether it be on the bench or whatever it is, is.
Speaker 1: On that six man bench. Yeah, so he's there for cover but yeah, it's weird with the six man bench.
Speaker 4: I feel like that that twenty it's very like immovable, like leading to the game, like you don't know how even himole like for the previous game.
Speaker 2: I was I was.
Speaker 4: Thinking to myself like, even though he's not even in the starting team at all, or the bench, I was thinking, for all, you know, on game day you can go from that twenty straight to the starting back. You never know how it's going to be maneuvered around the bench.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the halves obviously there was a bit of room around potentially moving in the house, but they've stuck strong with Mitchell Mosis and Nathan Cleary. Yeah that's surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought because I watching Mitchell play the other night, particularly defensively, to me, he appeared a long way off being one hundred percent fit. But it's probably just the stuff we're talking about there. He had young guys inside and outside him. He's probably trying to solve decisions, solve problems by himself. But look, one of those guys, Mitchell, you just got to You've got to call him and talk to him. And I think he's on and honest enough that if you ring him and sae, Mitch, you know the importance of this game. Come on, you know how are you? You know you're going to be able to be at your best? If he says to me, yew I am, then look I put him in because one thing you met, Mitchell is that mate, he has got that healthy arrogance. He's the type of personality that will go into sun Corps Stadium and that hostile environment will bring out the best in him. And the bottom line, Coop, is that I go. And you know I would have went strange, but Coop, if you know Moses and Cleary are on, you win.
Speaker 1: And I did see. I was watching the list show when Laurie announced the team and the big reason he went with Bradman Bess He said, I want someone who's used to the atmosphere at lang Park mostly sun Corp Stadium now, but Bradman was a part of the series the last series when they went up and he scored the match winning try. So I mean Mitch Moses is used to that hostile environment up there as well. The front row announcement Paynehass, Rhys Robson and Mitchell Barnett.
Speaker 2: Mitch Barnett, he wasn't in my nineteen. But Cooper, after the way he played against the Dolphins, watching it, sitting there and watching it, I thought, yeah, he'll he'll be picked. I thought that was his that was by far his best performance coming back from that ACL injury. So he's starting to he's starting to sort of find his best he's finding his best self. I thought he was really really strong. So yeah, well under Mitch there Paynehouse who goes with it. That goes without saying, if we just move there, Cooper, just for one second, move on to Isaai Yale. I think, I think Loriol paid, I think you played Ducks and Drakes here, you do, I think Murial start. I just look at one thing we really knew early in the game. We need Upfiell thrust and punch because that gets Nathan and Mitchell in the groove, gets some going. I look and I go, pain, Yes, but but Mitch Barnett's not like what you'd call a powerhouse Mota Eader like, he works his ass off, brilliant, but he's not a powerhouse of Bens the line back all the time, and neither is Isaiah. Isaiah is more of a passer. So I think, looking at the line up there from one to thirteen. I think that middle we lack a little bit of punch. I'm certain Cam Murray are going to third.
Speaker 1: You really do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do it because look a lot everyone was speculating, oh, Game two is going to be a bit of ducks and trapes, and then when everybody got the pre game there was nothing. Do I think he will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you will. Well, if I put it this way, I'm absolutely certain. I bet my kid's gonna say my life wouldn't do that. I'll bet my blue Swede shoes that either Barnett or Isaia Ah will make way for Cam Murray in the starting link.
Speaker 4: What has that jacket you got last week that you took into the podcast, that shocking brown cardigan thing.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things Jack like, when you look at the mirror you're looking at it's pretty stylish. And then when I saw it in the little cuts you did, you're right, it was just all fitting.
Speaker 1: I get to burn your jacket. If you're wrong, you're welcome. You can buy okay, and then obviously reach Reece Robson. People are sort of saying whether Appy Blake Brailey has come onto the bench, but whether they're going to play a bit of stuff, whether it's Blake Brailey and Appy corus our. Ree Robson played really well against the Broncos the other night in that Rooster side. My big thing looking at that is, I think, Laurie, you saw the mistake in game two in terms of the interchange. He can't have the mentality that Ree Robson is going to play eighty minutes. I think there's got to be some sort of better plan there.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't surprise me if Blake comes on sort of bit midweth through the first half. The thing about it is with the nine in the current rules and which make the middle defenses really vulnerable, the easiest and the best place to attack from stummy half Scoop and gar. Yeah, it's it's immediate and it's straight, and that's why I would have started. That's why I would have went with Appy, the combination of Appy and Blake Brayley. But Reece he is a very easy guy to get behind because he but because he's all heart. Sorry I'm a little bit tired. He's all hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The back row as well, another big decision in their Hutson Young obviously speaks to himself on that left side. Leam Martin has come straight into the starting side. You were big on this in the in your article and whatnot through the media during the week. You thought Liam Martin is a player no matter his former club because he hasn't been playing his best football, but he elevates in that jersey.
Speaker 2: Months still hate that selection. Yeah, that's enough, it's enough said on mate. Monster will hate that.
Speaker 1: They have a big rivalry here and money they always have. They go at each other quite hard. And he's and every time Lea Martin's been in a Blue jersey, anytime there's a kick chase or anything, he goes after people, doesn't.
Speaker 2: He does, and just looking at his left side semi generally his right side and if he if Sammy Walker switches over that side a little bit like we've seen him do occasionally, you'll go after see hi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isaiahell like we just spoke about him. Cam Murray on the bench, which you're saying you'll start start. Adam Fanila Blake Hamalekawatu fifteen and sixteen was a tall man.
Speaker 2: It's a that first interchange. We get that timing right, Los gets that timing right. That's a big boost if you get Adam you know coming on. If you if you don't like put it this way, if you would start with Cam Murray, Isaiah and pain if you can do that first in the change of say Isaiah comes off and Adam comes on and have about ten to fifteen minutes there of adding and Payne operating with Kem Murray altogether. Fucking hell mate, you know you're gonna be eating in him there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Ham. I'm I think Ham needs to have They need to have a plan, not just if a back row gets hurt like Camalo you need him in that game. We saw what he did in the Cooper Johns Cup on the weekend against Melbourne. He was the best player on that field. I actually do have He actually got my Cup Player of the Match.
Speaker 2: And that must have mean that it must have been everything for him.
Speaker 1: I messaged him anyhow address I said, mate, you can't pick it up. He said, who is this block? My number?
Speaker 4: Great to see the storm really turn off the Cuba John's cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, are going to talk. Probably didn't go have the impact you thought it could.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good to see, I mean something to the manly boys. That's the positive, but I think you need to get him out there. They used to have a good combination where they get Martin off or move Martin into the middle. I think that's probably where they looked at.
Speaker 2: You know, I would love to see in the middle operating. I'd love to see Hudson Young. Yeah, Hudson Young with his speed and his footwork through the middle. That that is a guy that I would love to see there. If you want to talk about a blitzkrieg that you got when if they look vulnerable, a lightweight blitz kreeg where you just go at them and try to drive them through the middle, you'd have you know, through the middle, you'd have Ethan Strange and and Hudson Hudson operating through that middle. Mate with his spoed and foodwork. That'd be really hard to handle. You just got to get the timing right. You've got to get the time. You know.
Speaker 4: That's if you don't know a blitzkrieg. Year is coupo. It was a military tactic world War two, mathe you go, that was that. Yeah, it's a military tactic. Bush I think for a German.
Speaker 2: I know it was for a lightning wall, Yes, I know, it right, you got to Jack, Yeah, I know it was, and then it's good. I'm glad you explained it. I just took it and it was a great song from Yeah, Blitz Green.
Speaker 1: It's in the school of Rock.
Speaker 2: Blake was Jack Black for you, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: Blake, Blake, Bradley, Ethan Strange, Toller Colo up we spoke about and then Victor Radley, he's moved the twentieth. I don't think Victor probably did a lot wrong in that game. I thought he probably does, like he didn't do anything to lose this spot. I think maybe Laurie just had to make way for some other people. You actually had Victor on your show tonight when the team was announced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you look, Victor wasn't given anything away like I because, as Jack said, you don't know like you know, it's very It's every chance that Laurie might have said him, may listen, you're twenty, but just keep it under wraps and might be playing doctor in your except But I don't know. But I said to him at the time when he came back and he got the phone call and all he said, and make you talk about it's the mark of a man. He said, oh yeah, you know, it's all good. I'm going to go in there and just make give him best and lift the boys for it.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: I thought it was awesome. But again, you know, you don't know, Lorry, this could make There could be a lot of ducks and drakes going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that from Victoriday EXAs a legend. Everyone was taught, I'll tell you what. Like a lot of people probably different stages, hard done by with selection. I know, like even Dylan Lucas, one of our friends. Outside of there, there's just good. There's a lot of competition with spots in some well, so not everyone can get picked. It's good to see the attitude of some of the boys. Even in game two for vi all reports was amazing in the camp class.
Speaker 2: The way he handled that our mission, Homol, it was just class and that was his reward get back in and and and Victorius, I said, I'm not sure, but if you know, if that is that if with this said, mate, you're not going to the way he handled it, and I saw it, you know, face to face class class.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk more about previewing it next Monday. Before the game, we just wanted to give a little live reaction to the Blues team. Obviously, Maron's tomorrow, but June thirty in a couple of days, well math here lots of rumors going around about. I mean, the biggest storyline from the June thirty stuff is Bronson Cherry could potentially be going down to Melbourne Storm. Apparently he's allegedly signed already, I've heard and then great pick up for mel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think a journal announced it was he's signed possibly a three year deal already.
Speaker 1: I love Bronson Cherry. You love Bronze Cherry's and you just know you get him down in that Melbourne system, he could be a really really good bye for them.
Speaker 2: When the Dogs bought him, I was watching him, took him about took him about eight or nine weeks to put him in first grade because he had such a long time out of the game. He was playing New South Wales Cup and they watched him in New South Wild's Cup and May's just come made. This bloke's just made his league's lengths above this level. Mate. I think I love about Bronson. He's a powerhouse and yardage, he's a great finisher and he's fast. Mate. Yeah, Like I said, last year when he was flying last year. At times I said, honestly, you could put him in state of origin. He's got that state of origin for Suk, for Zoke and all the attributes. So for Melbourne, that's it's a great pickup and I'm really surprised that the Dogs have allowed him to go. Great pickup and good for Bronson too. May going down to Melbourne. It's gonna be it's good move for him.
Speaker 1: I'm here in that. I mean it's I think tomorrow is June thirty. I'm here in that he might be. He's might be going down there in the next couple of days.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty that's well, that's really interesting coup because I looked at we were at the game the other night watching at the Cooper John's Cup, and I was watching Melbourne. I thought, yeah, it's going this year's and anomally there were just things in their game. But I'll tell you what, I could think it'll win six of the last eight and they've got a tough draw. But if they get him down there and he starts to play his best football, and who knows, they might be able to creep in correct.
Speaker 1: And then also some just big news from the round just going in the same game. Luke Brooks has done his acl Man, which is going to see him back twenty twenty seven midway through the year.
Speaker 2: That's a shape because mate, he was one of the biggest beneficiaries of fosball. Yeah, Kieran being a playmaker and understand how to switch playmakers on Brooks, he was playing some of the best football his career. Finally just got him in the sweet spot. That's tragic and him and.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a big loss for Manly, but one a glass half full perspective. Young Joey Wals should have been trying. Who's been playing really good football. When he's in there, he gets a chance to really come into first grade consistently in the back end of the year of a team that's really going well and potentially cement that number six role as his own.
Speaker 2: I mean, is the X factor in it? Yeah, isn't. Isn't And this is a really big X factor. How Joey goes in there and goes I mean, let's go back to twenty eleven. Young bloke Dally Cherry Evans sort of went into the mainly first grade side in his first year. You know and leads them to a competition when now it's a long long way to go there for Joey. I'm not going to draw that conclusion, but it just shows you when a young player comes in who can transform a team, and Joey can certainly do that.
Speaker 4: Also, I'll just say to you too, like I have tied it well, like they re signed him till twenty nine last week, so like if he goes in and kills it, they've just got an absolute bargain on their hands.
Speaker 1: Manly, it's a really good point.
Speaker 2: But you know, Jack and the thing about it is too and this is a lesson kids, and this is a theme that has run through this podcast so far. So far, it's how you deal with some things that don't always go your way. Joey the way he started, you know, the year and flashes of brilliance, people have been going, mate, this kid's got to be in the team, et cetera, et cetera. He has never he's never turned his toes up and gone no no, or blown up or wanted to release or threaten the club anyway, shape or form. He has shown class and being willing to sit behind Jamal and Brooksy and be patient and now his time has come and it's just really exciting and it's a really good combination. He's got to He's going to have a great mentor there in Jamal. Jamal's strength is and we had him on the podcast. Jamal said, the two things I'm good at that I focus on, he said, is organizing and kicking. He's going to do that. That's going to allow Joey some freedom to play ram around the field. So that's that's really exciting.
Speaker 1: And is he can't tell your man? I know you're probably the biggest Easy Cartell fan of anyone in the NRL. He fractured his wrist on the weekend as well, a massive loss for the Dolphins. He's been an integral part of their attack. But the Dolphins who were flying at the moment he got a pretty early. Brad Schneider went on and they ended up grinding a really good win against the Wires. But I'm not sure the timeline of is his injury. But can they can they How does this affect their final chances? It just all depends what it means. So if is he he'll get the scan and everything done to speak to the surgeon. Hopefully it's not too bad, too bad a frash all war. I say this not in a bad spot that basically prolongs that they come back.
Speaker 2: Hopefully. It's only you know, four or five weeks, which is still a fair spot out, but it affects us. I think that I think the Dolphins can win the competition. But if you tell me that easy Gita, you know that he's not going to be there, then then he's still their most important players.
Speaker 4: Look at it right now too, Like it's a crazy you know how Like we talked about the middle part of the ladder sort of like that bottleneck, Well it's not really the middle third. It's actually gone up. So you've got we've got the Wires, Dolphins, Roosters, and Knights all locked in twenty four points on second position locked in, and then we've got we've got another three teams locked in at six, seven, and eight. So like even then, like the Dolphins are sitting there at third, but they're four points away from being first on the ladder, and then they are four points below them from being out of the eight.
Speaker 2: I was a believer, boys is you don't see an effect a great player has on a team till the following week. So you get there. You know, you're in a game, in the in the cut and thrust of a game, and suddenly easy Guitara gets injured. It's all right, you know, other players, you don't have time for it to affect your confidence. Yeah, that makes sense. You're in the you're in the you know, you're in the cut and thrust and you just going. But and you saw that in the weekend, like they didn't miss a beat. But now they're going to sit for a week and they've got to prepare and they've got to go through all the nuances of training, and you don't know. Sometimes you know, you get blokes finish their training session of driving home going, it's not the same without him missing. It's all that.
Speaker 1: That's a good point because like you think about, where does confidence go into a game. Confidence comes from preparation, like it is, it comes from preparation. It comes from people talking and conveying a really clear message on the Dolphins playing the Warriors on the weekend, this is the shakes we want to run, This is how we want to play the Dolphins. This is how we want to play the Warriors. And then, like you said, if he's the guitar gets injured in the first ten minutes, that plan, that plan that is he helped create, doesn't change. That doesn't change the training through the week that's the thing that has laid the platform for that win on the weekend.
Speaker 2: They have got a very very strong system. However, the loss of easy Gaitoa to the Dolphins is like Nathan being out for the Panrith Panthers made. I think it's identical. I think it's I think it's only more Yeah, yep, yep, I think so young side, he's just he's a juniors footballer, so that's hopefully. I just want him back. I want to see him back on the field before final.
Speaker 1: While we're we're almost like past the halfway point of the season, let's get can we give a little bit of an update. Where do we see because teams are sort of fluctuated, forms going up, forms going down. Who are the teams right now that you think they can win the camp?
Speaker 2: Okay, Panthers goes with that saying roosters wars. So there wars like certain little aspects, uh Tomorray Martin and and Chanelle at the at the moment, God, I'd love to see metcalf find watched him play in New South Wales Cup today has some good moments. Your running game was good. It's called to try. I'd love to see him sort of start to find toward that form of last year. If he can do that, then I go, mate, they're up to their eyeballs. I think they can still win the comp Their system of play is so strong Dolphins. But again that Cavet sitting there with with easy at the moment and and Manly. I liked Manly at round four. You to have him at two hundred to one, you know, coach Ben sacked and then Fos comes in and it's just been a remarkable turnaround and just growing belief and doing it at the moment without a couple of stars. Like you know, I saw Clayton the other night like, yeah, I saw him having the under him and mate, like what a play he would make for a month's dreath. He was borth playing the comp Yeah, even didn't play the other night. And the sleeper, the sleeper is South's right. Souths have the old bloke Wayne Bennett in charge. He knows how to win a competition more than anyone. There was a point through last year right that I reckon Wayne sort of went, you know what, this is not going to really, this is not panning out. I'm going to take I want to take one for the team here and Mate, there was a lot of players that I reckon. He just rested and just said, don't worry about this year. It's ride off. We'll build to next year. And even with Latrell, like, he's been really patient bringing Latrell back. And there's that calf twinge who knows he might have been okay to play in a week or two. He's going to hold him a little bit longer. His side's going good, and he knows right, I'll get the I'll get the side all going good, and then I'm going to eject Latrell into that team for the run home. So what I like about saus You got Wayne who's done before, but what you've got your brand and come back into the side. You see Brandon's about to hit top form. Dave for Feeder looks really good. He's starting to find his place there, Cody looks really good, Tall Us Duncan, They're all just starting to form up.
Speaker 1: So Coop and I on South particularly branded. I thought Brandon that was his best game of the year for Souse easily. The other came a couple of years mate, and he's but he looks fit, and we said, it's a little bit of the Brandon of Melbourne get roxbeed, get rax speed and then just take off and skittle bokes and when he runs you see the effect on the line when he runs a b and see all goes, oh shit, Brandon Smith runner. They all turn in. I think you set you and aching up with a really nice try on the left hand side.
Speaker 4: It looks quick too.
Speaker 1: He is quick.
Speaker 2: He shouldn't fat, but he's powerful. He's wombats. You underestimate how quick a wombat can move. You get near their burrs, you watch them go the uh. But yeah, so the other ones uh Penrith, Roosters, Wis, Dolphins, Manly and the sleeper Souths six teams. Mate, it's going to be some sort of final series. Nights have been fantastic at the moment, they're still twelve months away.
Speaker 1: For me, I've got I've got a sleep and then I've got four who I think right now can win the comp. And this comp's unbelievably weird to pick because someone can come in two weeks and just randomly find form and people can come out of form. But I think Penrith, Dolphins, Roosters, Manly are my four that can win the comp right now. And I'm with your sleepers of Souse. If they can get a few of those boys back like Campbell, Graham, Jack White and still Out, They're to come back in that side Patrell Mitchell obviously, and then a few of those boys like you said, they're starting to find form. Injuries is their biggest weakness at the moment. South, Yeah, but if they can come back in and find a bit of the.
Speaker 4: Left side mate when they take shape, yeah, can I raise something really strange right now? The wagers have obviously got some sort of inside that no one else knows.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the top eight right so if you look, if you tell me right, if I told you guys right now, if you had to put money on either Melbourne or the Knights to win the comp, which one are you.
Speaker 2: Get to back? Oh?
Speaker 1: Probably Knights win the comp this year. Probably Nights right now, Melbourne I don't know.
Speaker 2: Actually, Oh jeezuz, that is tough. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Probably no Knights are tied second at the moment, right eight points below them and Melbourne now Knights are Knights are paying the most tied at second to win the comp in that in that those people, those teams locked in it that second position, they're paying twenty three bucks right now, eight points belo them sitting at twelve is the Storm paying thirty right, only only a few odds better. But above them then you go the two teams above them are paying in the eighties. So there's obviously there's something there with Melbourne where the teams that are above them, I think they're looking at Melbourne going there's still a chance to win.
Speaker 2: It because it's Melbourne.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things big and like you see their finals record and you get the vibe like they got a few more they've got a couple buys coming up, so that's where it's going to play in. But that like it's a hard sort of to get from where they are twelfth right now into that eight. There's a few teams in there that have also got I think Cowboys still have three more buys. Cowboys have got a great runner, they've got a really good run home, So they're going to strugg They're going to struggle to be knocked out of that eight, so there's not a whole heap of teams that the hardest thing for Melbourne is to get into the eight. But if they get in the finals, like in Terrified, they have a lot of players who are just elevating final because if they do make the finals, it means their best players are on fire.
Speaker 2: In four. I just wanted to have a look on people. I say, if you can have a pun of the competition, just have a look at the team going into the finals where they had that last buy. Newcastle are going to be very, very hard to beat in the first week of the finals because they've got the buy the week before, they all get the freshen up. They're going to hit the field. They're going to be nice and fresh and rare and to go coming off a two week preparation for finals. Football cowboys make cowboys get in there. They're going to be a handful because as I said, they've got a good run home and they still got their buyers. So there's so many little factors coming into this final series.
Speaker 1: And then obviously Matthew, the TV deal that everyone keeps reporting on.
Speaker 2: Incredible, Mate, you are incredible.
Speaker 1: You're across a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Well, my understanding is it's going to be basically five billion five So what Peter of landis was after Peter of Landers was after over for full bing something he was looking at around four point four b in. He's got five b in. Basically that is the richest TV deal in Australian sports history. His whole thing you go understand about Peter of Alandi. Valandi's most driven man. He took He took New South Wales Racing when it was in crisis, the Equan influenza. He's built it up now into this powerhouse. Even down south of Melbourne Racing, Carnival Spring Carnival is untouchable. He's gone in and put a massive dint it, huge dint with the Everest, Golden Eogle, all those things. Like what he has done for New South Wales Racing has been insane. Now he's coming to the Rugby League and his big thing is with racing. He goes, I'm going to get like Melbourne, Melbourne Racing, Victoria Racing used to take the piss out of him quite a bit, and like because he came from I think it was greyhounds into trots and that they're like I made this blog and he went, I'm going to I'm going to give it to these places, and he has and he's done the same with the AFL. His whole thing was I'm going to beat the AFL TV deal and he's gone and he's done it. Now. So five BM seven years, Now, what does this mean? My understanding? At the moment, the CAP's around eleven point nine, they're saying the cap will go up, probably could hit a about eighteen million. The seller cap, aid of means so you so that means so if the salary cap goes up, what's that? Is that sort of about fifty or sixty percent?
Speaker 4: That all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's what's half of five point five? Yeah, it's about another fifty percent.
Speaker 2: So if it goes if it goes up, say fifty percent, So all of a sudden, Nathan Cleary, if he's on one point five million dollars, put another fifty percent, he's on two point two. Wow. So that's the difference is going to make to the game and the players. So what does that do? What that does is that stops the next Joseph Suli going to rugby union and in turn, what that what it's going to do. It's going to give rugby league clubs an opportunity to even sign European rugby players to get them to this competition. The flow and effect is going to be enormous.
Speaker 4: What I was going to say to you too, Matthew, because you don't see it much, is people talk about, you know, this rights to how it benefits clubs and players and salary caps and the organization itself and then obviously the broadcasters. But there's like, I'm not sure if you've got a few off your off the top of your head, I've got a couple here that like actually affect the fans in a positive way because obviously the fans listen to the TV rights deal from their perspective, they're going, that's great, but how is it a fed Yeah, you know what I mean? And I was looking at just before and some of the articles coming out now are starting to say, so what what could happen? How it's going to benefit the fans is obviously the broadcast are going to be better, there's going to be more coverage, more prime time TV and rugby league, but a big one too, like it could affect game day experience a lot for a lot of a lot of the lot of the fans too, Like we we could see not only like better deals or cheaper prices for tickets, but also better Dame Day experiences from you know, it could be from food to facilities, entertainment.
Speaker 2: They're talking about National un twenty ones competition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well that's the other one too. There's another one who's saying grassroots benefits and that's the one that you know, with having this deal if we do beat the a f L. The AFL have done so well with their junior grassroots systems, like the way they budget there, the facility, the resources out to junior clubs. Hopefully we'll see, you know, rugby league, the NRL itself will start really dipping into that.
Speaker 1: Saw how how good? Like six I can't remember how long Fox League has been around for, but like seven years ago. You just wait until the foot he was on to watch or have any football content. There's there's rugby league content twenty four to seven now, h Like definitely, you know it's also and you see end shout out to the fans because without the fans watching, engaging in it, you know, listen to dribblers like us on this podcast. Yep, the game doesn't grow and be able to have that sort of billion dollar deal.
Speaker 2: So shout out no doubt, mate, no doubt. Well that's the figures I've got there at adm B. The when I've come to Aden being listen to people that was in the paper. They're talking sorry, Aden, me and selar Cap. There was reports in the paper that could be twenty million. My understanding is that's a little high. I've heard other people say there's going to be more like sixteen and a half million, and I've heard now that's slightly low. I've come to Ad and me and on that okay, and I believe it is. I'm just creating from I believe sellar Cap at the moment is eleven point nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now what this mean? You've got an extra game next year with Perth coming in there minudstanding, there won't be Monday on football, it'll be an extra same on a Sunday. It'll be something. You'll have a Sunday night game, so the four o'clock game, then you'll have a six o'clock claim.
Speaker 1: What happens to your show later?
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't be later. God. The next thing they're looking at with the money in the game is the global round they're talking about having. You know, you've got the Vegas experience, having one in London and another city and another one which is really really big that they're looking at. It's getting more and more likely is buying the UK Super League, which is enormous. Now it's going to be very interesting what they do if they buy that. At the moment, I believe over there in England it's split a little bit. I think the the ruling parties are a little bit they't want to lose control. But apparently all the strong clubs and the power breakers they're going to mate. This has to happen to save our competition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone someone said to me in the next sort of month, they're looking at it.
Speaker 2: The deal done so that now what may happen here people, you're going to understand it for our younger listeners. Here is what used to happen. Was they used to it used to be played. The rugby League was traditionally always played for one hundred years in the winter in England. Now we play winter. They played winter. So what they were allow to do is the best English players at the end of their season would come and play for about three months in Australia, the very best Australian players, vice versa. We'll go over and do stints over there. Now these days, with professionalism and loads and all that sort of stuff, you won't I don't think you'll see players come over for that long a stretch. But what you can actually start to do, and I just think this is really exciting, is that they if they decide the NRL to go, you know what, let's put it back to a winter competition. There'll be a little bit of pushback, but that will allow a crossover of codes more instance, will be like this, like Joey did when Joey was over here in the and the Nice got knocked out of the league. I think I've got about two thousand and five they got knocked out. He went over and did a four game stint with Warrington on the eve of the finals. I mean, it could be a situation where they go right for each club, you've got the top thirty squad. Then you've got two spare spots left, and you go right the finals coming up. Suddenly you know, the greatest English player in the world mate, all of a sudden he gets banged and they buy him and he comes over and he joins a week out from the finals, that would just be enormous and vice versa. It just adds a whole another demands.
Speaker 1: Imagine what that to do for the profile for some of the English, like in terms of they come out here to kill it in an NURL final series gets me, you might get a Clive Churchill and that way when he goes back to the English in a winter camp when it's on a different schedule, all the NFL fans are going, I want to watch you know so and so, and they watch the game. Like for Arabbia League supporters or for anyone like to have a game like that that could be year round where you're interested as interested in both comps. It would be great entertain agree.
Speaker 4: Because it needs to bridge the gap. Like I can't remember last time I watched like a live game of the Super League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well made it. Well, I'll give you an example of what you're just talking about there, boys Ellery Hanley, who I talk about is my favorite player of all time. Ellary O was a Balmaine Tiger's fan and he was like a Wigan player but in Australia he was like, oh yeah, that Blake who plays ellery handling, and they signed him and he arrived halfway through the season. Made he took him right through the Grand Final. They went on about a nine to ten game winning streak, got to the Grand finally knocked out on the day. But then when he so after that the end of that season, he got awarded the Golden Boot, the greatest player in the world. Goes back to England, plays again, he gets brought out, doesn't go to Balmain the next year because he's out, he's out priced. Then a bonaire building guy called Jim Jim Masterson, he was he owned Western Sobers at that point, so he brought him to West. To give you a difference in the profile in twelve months for Ellary, when he went to West to play his first game, they had to have a team of security guards around him when they were doing the warm up. Well that's like, that's how big a profile that did for that player. So then when he went back to England, like the whole just rises. And that's what we can do, like you both competitions and all the teams can have two spare spots for a Tom Travoyevitch when the seasons finished to go up and join some Helen's for the end of the year. It's just insane and the players would love it, like players, players would love.
Speaker 1: It to get over there and you get back to preseason later.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to make it. Here's my hot take.
Speaker 1: Do it. Take your shirt off, just tap.
Speaker 4: The nipple rings out Pea of Andy's take your shirt off.
Speaker 2: Peter Andys is the greatest sports administrator in Australia's history. There you go, now, AFL people and that will people will go, hang on, what about this? What about that? I just want you to consider where rugby league was when he took over. The game was broke, The game was broke. And and what he has done, the Vegas stuff, you know how it's grown, the money the game has now, the assets of the game has got, the magic ground, all those things that he has done for the game is just insane and we should never lose sight of that, because what happens with Australia sometimes truly oppositional in the fact that someone says, mate, this guy is the best. People going no, no, he's not. Like Bob Hawk kop Jack was the greatest Prime minister in Australian history, Like Charisma he represented what it was to be Australian. But I remember at the end of his Prime ministership that'd go, you know, grand final day, welcome to the microphone, the Prime Minister Australia, Bob Hawk and everyone would boo, you know what I mean. Hard to believe now, but it happened. That's what that's what we do, is Ossie to an extent. Never do that, ped b Andes, because what he has done for this game is just remarkable.
Speaker 1: As the wise Man Batman, I think it wasn't Batman, it was the Commissioner. Gordon said you either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain. And that's what we as Australians can do. You can quote me on that.
Speaker 2: That's I love that quote.
Speaker 1: You couldn't quote me on that, Gary old I will Gary Oldman.
Speaker 2: What an actor.
Speaker 1: He is, very talented, right.
Speaker 2: I never knew he was English, you know, until later on. And what he's rolling playing Winston Churchill was remarkable.
Speaker 1: He's good talent.
Speaker 4: Thurm and Copper did he back in the nineties, I think, oh way, yeah, I think there's a bit of an age gup there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say it was one of these I remember Lyle love it. It was a country singing. He dated Julie Roberts.
Speaker 1: Really, Jacob, I thought that was a strange match.
Speaker 4: You know, our man Angeline and Jolie.
Speaker 1: Billy Boy Thorton's.
Speaker 4: That one. Watching the footage from the nineties is.
Speaker 2: So so you're telling me I'm a chair.
Speaker 1: They're like passion on the red carpet and that were very publicly affectionate, had.
Speaker 4: Vials of each other's blood on a necklace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. And Johnny Depp and Amber heard just never work old pistol and booo.
Speaker 1: All right people, see's next week.