Speaker 1: I think the person who killed her will be worried about this podcast and the new attention, media attention and local attention back on it. I think given that they would have experienced this anxiety which we see through the haste, I think it will reignite that anxiety. I think that once this comes out, this podcast comes out, and there's media coverage, I think the person will become worried again. They'll probably be a bit cocky because they've got away with it for a long time, but in the back of mind they'll be going, oh, people could still talk, because this is not the kind of offender would keep his mouth shut. I think he's spoken in some way about it. May not have said I killed her, but he may have said things about the crime, things about the car, things about the handbag and the shoes that could just stand out to someone who heard it. And it's those people that the investigation needs to come forward.
Speaker 2: That's Grizzilling's worth. An FBI trained criminal profiler who investigated Rochelle's murder in two thousand and three, I'm Ashley Hanson. This is episode six of Dear Rochelle, a podcast by True Crime Australia.
Speaker 1: I think this offender would have a domestic bolence history, maybe not then, and with the domestic ans, it would be that he did impulsive, reactive type of violence. With that kind of violence, you'd also see coursive control behaviors as well, monitoring of the partner, keeping control without not handling situations, not experiencing a strong sense of control over the person so constantly trying to get control, and those kind of people often can't hold down a job either because they're reactive. I think this person would have a more unstable relationship history, unstable employment history simply because of his personality traits.
Speaker 2: Do you think the person responsible had a history of sexual violence?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he would have forced himself onto other women, and I don't think this was the first time he's ever done that. What scenes to have happened is that he and Rochelle were interacting with one another, probably for at least an hour on maybe two hours or so, and at some point defender has decided, well, you know, I want sex, and iss forced to do it. He may have tried to convince her and maybe something's happened consensually, perhaps or maybe the entire event was forceful.
Speaker 2: We don't know at this point, so potentially a highly compulsive sex offender.
Speaker 1: Yes, someone who's going to act out and feel some kind of entitlement also over women, and probably is quite misogynistic.
Speaker 2: I'd expect the man that Chris Sillings wor just profiled bears a resemblance to the prime suspect in Rochelle's murder, her boss, Kevin Stephen Carrell. Kevin strenuously denies any involvement in Rochelle's death. He has willingly participated in three records of interview with police, including giving a detailed account of his movements on the seventh of June two thousand and one, although he did not have any alibi witnesses to back him up on Neil inquest was held into Rochelle's death. At the end of the inquest in two thousand and eight, the coroner made an open finding in relation to Rochelle's death and True Crime Australia is not saying he is guilty of any crimes, just that there are reasonable grounds for suspecting he committed rapes in the past that he was charged with, and reasonable grounds to suspect he may have been involved in Rochelle's murder. Remember, Kevin changed his name from Cornwall to Correll sometime before he arrived at Camden Holden. You're about to meet two brave women who survived being attacked at knife point in the nineteen eighties. They identified Kevin Cornwall as their attacker that he was later acquitted in both cases. When not using the women's real names, just a heads up, You're about to hear survivor accounts of sexual violence that some listener as may find upsetting. Pay attention to the alibi Kevin gives police when questioned over each of the attacks. Jane Ashley, there are you going?
Speaker 3: Oh nice?
Speaker 4: I just said I'm looking at your picture up the game to make sure that I got you.
Speaker 2: So, Jane, take me back to November nineteen eighty. You're a mom of two young boys. What was your life like? What were you up to?
Speaker 4: My life was good and I had a four year old and a six year old and had a lovely boyfriend and.
Speaker 5: Life was good.
Speaker 2: And where were you living?
Speaker 4: I was living in punch Bowl.
Speaker 2: I understand you put an ad in the paper.
Speaker 4: Yes, we put an ad in the paper. We had my sister living there beforehand, and she moved out so we wanted somebody else to rent to help us get the rent up. So we put an ad in the paper for someone to rent the room.
Speaker 2: And did you get much of a response from that ad?
Speaker 4: Yes, we got a response from a young man that came by it six o'clock night and then came back later on.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that man and do you remember him first coming to the house and looking at the house?
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember him coming in to have a look at the room and the kitchen in the lound room, and I remember him coming back.
Speaker 2: When he was looking in the house and talking to you. Did you feel uneasy at any stage about his visit?
Speaker 4: No, not at all. He's quite nice.
Speaker 2: Was he interacting with the kids?
Speaker 4: The kids were in bed, both my children in bed at that stage.
Speaker 2: Kevin Cornwill admits he did go to Jane's house a punch bowl in Western Sydney on the evening of the nineteenth of November nineteen eighty to check out that room she was advertising to rent. Detectives found Jane's address written on a piece of paper in his pocket. Detectives asked Kevin if the handwriting on the paper was his, and this is what he told them.
Speaker 6: Yes, but how do you know it was made?
Speaker 2: These are Kevin's words, voiced by an actor.
Speaker 6: I drive to Liverpool and stopped at the shopping center. I bought tea there and a takeaway food bar and took the meal home. I had a conversation with a girl there.
Speaker 2: He knows Kevin's mother and his wife at the time gave evidence during the trial to support Kevin's alibi. We've beat Kevin's former wife's name to protect her identity.
Speaker 4: He returned later that night and I was walking down the harse to sh reshow him the loudrym and that he.
Speaker 5: Pulled a knife on me.
Speaker 4: And what happened next, and then he proceeded to tell me that if I didn't do what he said, he would kill my kids. We both were sleeping in the front room, which he knew they were because I told him the first time. So I did what he said, and he raped.
Speaker 2: Me, Jane says, with a knife to her throat. He ordered her into the lounge room and told her to undress. Kevin allegedly told her he killed a cop and raped a woman before, and he wouldn't hesitate in killing her or her children. During the attack, the doorbell rang. It was another man interested in the room for rant. That witness said, a man he knew as Kevin Cornwall answered the door and said, she's not here. She's been called away to the country. Her boyfriend has been killed in a car smash. The witness also told police he recognized Kevin from his local club. What do you remember about his demeanor?
Speaker 4: Really just mechanical.
Speaker 5: Just do this, do that?
Speaker 4: Just mechanical. He wasn't there that long, probably half an hour or so. Do this, do that? Get in the shower. Well, it's like looking in to somebody's eyes and you can see their soul. He hasn't got one. He's just there's nothing there. It's like he'd just done it so many times before and it just to go ahead and rape at his pleasure. And after the rape, he told me to get into the shower, stand there and not come out for half an hour.
Speaker 2: When was the moment that you realized he'd left and you'd survived this?
Speaker 4: When I heard the door click. My shower was out the back and the door was opening the shower, and I heard the front door because it was a long hallway, I heard the front door click, and that's when I got out and checked on my Chho.
Speaker 5: Children, you must have ruand him there.
Speaker 4: So with the lock on the door, couldn't afford to fall apart because I had children. So I just rang my sister and said, come and get me. There's something's happened.
Speaker 2: I was going through your mind when this had all unfolded.
Speaker 4: Why just why, why would you do that to a mother of two kids? That's why would you threaten two children that could never hurt you. He just knew what to say, especially when he rang me back up again. When he rang me, he said, if you report me, I will come back and kill you and your children. It was like, had it all been rehearsed before?
Speaker 2: What do you remember about those threats that he said to you?
Speaker 4: Just said he. I just knew that he was never going to stop by the way he threatened me. So I knew I had to do something, and so I told the police.
Speaker 2: You called your sister, Yeah, she must have raced over.
Speaker 4: She did, Yeah, she came over. We bundled the kids into the car and we went off to the police station and I told him my story. And they were terrific detectives that took on the case, and they then I went to the hospital and my sister took the children to her place and stayed with them, and the hospital was great. Then I went back to the police station and started looking through some mugshots, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of mug shots. Couldn't tell you how many were there. And then I found him. Just when I was just about to give up and say I can't look at any more, I found his face and showed the police.
Speaker 2: And what was it about that photo that you recognized of your attacker.
Speaker 4: You couldn't forget his face. He had a mile between his eyes, and you just could not forget his face anyway, because it only happened a couple of hours before then, So it was so fresh in my mind. And I'll never forget him. I'll never forget him ever, but he'll never be a part of my life.
Speaker 2: What stood out to me when I saw archive footage of Kevin attending Rochelle's inquest in two thousand and six is he did have a distinctive bump or raised growth like a mole in the middle of his forehead. However, in the most recent photos of Kevin captured through our investigation, the growth is no longer visible to see images of Kevin head to our website. Dear Rochelle dot com.
Speaker 7: Do I you.
Speaker 2: And when you told the police this is him, this is the man who attacked me. What did they say?
Speaker 4: They knew him, they knew exactly what his mo was like. And as I told them that he'd come and answered an ad in the paper for a room for rent, and they said, that's exactactly his mo o. He's done it before they knew who he was, and they went out after him.
Speaker 2: And you pushed through that fear and you went to court and faced him in court after he was charged with your rape. It was nineteen eighty two, just over a year after the attack, and Kevin Stephen Cornwall was on trial for your rape. Can you tell me about that trial?
Speaker 4: Not anything I'd wish on anybody, because you have to prove that he's done it, and they bring up all your past, which I was told before and before I went to court, and was still prepared to go to stop a monster and.
Speaker 2: Take your time. It's okay.
Speaker 4: Anyway. I tried to get through it. And when the court case was over and the jury couldn't come to a decision, I just told them that he'd never stop.
Speaker 2: You told me jury that, yep.
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 2: To think about you going through that trial and then bringing up your past. What were they bringing.
Speaker 4: Up when I was fourteen years old? I was in a girl's home, which had nothing to do with this. I mean I was twenty three years old now and my life was great, and all they did was bring up my past and nothing about him, which very unfair.
Speaker 2: You felt like you were on trial.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 4: Ye, that's what they made you feel like, especially his lawyer.
Speaker 2: There was a man who gave evidence that came to the door that night during your attack, and he gave evidence and recognized Kevin from the club. So there were two people that positively identified him, and yet he still got away with it.
Speaker 5: Yes, he certainly did.
Speaker 4: It's very hard to convince a jury to put somebody away that's done something so horrendous. But I don't know why they didn't.
Speaker 2: Kevin admits to being at the home that night to inspect the property, but he denied that he returned and said that there was a man of European appearance at the property. Could you have been mistaken?
Speaker 5: Never?
Speaker 4: I could not mistake that face ever, And as I said, I went through hundreds and hundreds of photos, so many that they were all starting to blur into one until I was just about to give up, and there he was. So there's no way I can mistake that face.
Speaker 2: Did you regret going to court?
Speaker 4: No, never regretted it, Never regretted it all. I was hoping that at least if they'd put him away for a while, he couldn't hurt anybody else. But as I said, he will never stop, ever, ever stop until they put him away.
Speaker 2: Is that what drove you to take it all the way to court was your fear of him hurting other women?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's exactly why I took it to court because I didn't want anybody else to have to go through what I went through. And obviously he seeks out people with children so that he can have that get threat against them, to say I will hurt you and your children, and any mother is not going to get their child hurt. So but that's what he wants. He wants you to do that. He wants you to think, oh, come back, but don't let him get it over here.
Speaker 2: How old are you now and do you ever think back to that night that you were attacked.
Speaker 4: I'm sixty seven years old, and I don't give him any thought because he's not going to take over my life. I just forget him because he's not worth anything. He's just a speck of nothing.
Speaker 2: He now goes by the name of Kevin Stephen Carrell. Have you ever heard of that name before?
Speaker 4: No? No, never heard of it.
Speaker 2: His name was made public in and around after Rochelle's death because he was named as a suspect in her inquest in two thousand and six. Of course, you wouldn't have known and put two and two together because you knew him as Kevin Cornwall.
Speaker 4: Yep, Kevin Stephen Cornwall.
Speaker 2: What was your reaction when I told you that he changed his name.
Speaker 4: You can run away, but you can't hide. I don't know what to say. He doesn't scare me at all anymore, not one bit.
Speaker 2: Kevin maintains his innocence and was acquitted by a jury and his alibi. He stopped at a shopping center in Liverpool, and he also went to a takeaway food shop where he picked up dinner. Jane isn't the only woman to accuse Kevin Stephen Cornwall of a sexually motivated attack. There are four women we know about, and he's going to hear from other alleged victims, but it's important to stress. Kevin pleaded not guilty to all charges, and he was later acquitted by four separate juries. Three years after Jane was raped, police were hunting the perpetrator of an alarmingly similar crime, this time in the inner Sydney suburb of Darlinghurst in nineteen eighty three. Here's the ad that was placed in the classified section of the Daily Telegraph that year.
Speaker 5: Stunning blonde Gold Coast model available for fashion and figure photography phone this number.
Speaker 2: Three has lad. I've just flown in to meet that model. We'll call her Nicole. She's accompanied by her giant German shepherd to pick me up from the airport.
Speaker 5: Alrighty, I'm as nervous as said.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's okay, Yeah, come on, puppy.
Speaker 2: Two weeks before the attack, a man who called himself Greg Hawkins responded to Nicole's ad and visited her Darlinghurst unit to discuss a photo shoot. He claimed he was a photographer wanting to book her for a semi nude shoot. During the visit, Nicole says he asked her to show him her body. She refused, demanding he provide more information and identification, but he could only produce a business card with the name Greek Hawkins printed on it. Nicole says he used his finger to cover the bottom of the business card. On that occasion, he left without incident. Two weeks later, she answered the door to a monster. It's been forty years, but Nicole's memory of that day she was attacked while her eleven month old baby boy slept in his cot is vivid.
Speaker 7: We were going to be going downtown and I was going to buy a high chair because I had some money that I could go buy his high chair, and that's why he was asleep, and I was all dressed and ready, and I was just waiting for him to wake up and then we're going to go downtown. So when I when a knock at the door, I don't remember that I was expecting anyone, because my intention was we were going to be going downtown and get the high chair. So the knock at the door, I opened it and it was ban instant melaclava. The knife was held up here. He pushed me back into it. There were a couple of steps up into the unit, and he just pushed me like into the unit and then the knife was at my throat. He had the knife up and down my throat like instantly, and I remember thinking, holy ship, I'm going to die. This is Sydney, That's what I thought I was gonna I was gonna die. I remember him mumbling something about what money for drugs? Money for drugs. We you know, like we were smoking pot. And I remember going into the kitchen and getting the mulbi, but it was like hardly anything there and I don't even think he took it. I went to my bag that was hanging over the chair and I got my purse out. I don't remember the you know, the order, but he took that money.
Speaker 2: And that was the money for the high chair.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it was seventy dollars. That would have been a lot of money back then. Yes it was. Yeah, it was a lot of money.
Speaker 7: And I had to but I had secretly saved that money, and I remember had I had it was hidden in the in my cupboard in the bedroom.
Speaker 5: Sorry, can we.
Speaker 2: Just we can stop, We can pause for sure, take your time.
Speaker 5: No, I gotta just like get it all out. And then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so he was like saying, yeah, money for drugs. Wanted drugs, and yeah, like I said, I went to the marlbole. I don't remember whether he did that, he had the money, and then it was I'm not real clear on how quickly it happened, but he told me to get into the bedroom and get bit my clothes off. I can't remember how he said it, but the next sequence from when he was standing there saying all that and the knife was going up and down my throat, I was. I went into the bedroom and like obviously he followed, and I've just always undressed from the bottom down, never the top down. And I remember I had like, I liked this, I guess three quid of pants on you know all back then they had zips yeah, around the bottom of the leg yeah, on the side that yeah, yeah yeah. And went in there and I was like trying to stall, and so I remember taking my pants off first.
Speaker 9: Fuck.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I sort of unzipped them and I took my pants off, and then I remember saying, what are you doing back here?
Speaker 5: That was a big mistake because.
Speaker 7: It was like his eyes, yeah, his eyes, and maybe his nose was cut out as well, or I just remember his nose.
Speaker 5: I remember his eyes, and I remember his nose.
Speaker 7: I could just see from that part it was the person that I knew as Greg Hawkin's. It was like instant saying, what are you doing back here? Like that was stupid of me? Like why did I say that? He just like he stopped instant and he just sort of like looked at me, and I just fuck, I realized, Oh God, what did what did you say that for? And I thought, oh shit, here it comes. It's it's gonna be bad, Like it's gonna be worse now. But yeah, he was, Yeah, he was definitely taken aback that I recognized him. I can't remember what was said. But then like from I got myself around to the side of the bed and all the ceramic bunnies sort of like on the ledge like this, and as I was sort of like trying to pretend to like start to get everything off, I don't know, I just went to the window ledge and just in one movement, I just sort of like I had the window in one hand and I grabbed the biggest bunny in the other hand, and I remember opening it and then just throwing it down and then he he just came straight at me, and it was just and with his fist, yeah, closed hard fist, and I just went down.
Speaker 5: It was like.
Speaker 7: And I just went smacked down on the bed. And I think he thought that because that happened at the window, because it was the main like a main road, he would have thought, Oh, someone's going to see that and they're going to come up, and that's why he took off't know, but I'm thankful that I didn't get raped straight as soon as I sort of like went down on the bed, because I think that's what he was thinking.
Speaker 5: He told me to eat, like he must have got me.
Speaker 7: I can't remember the sequence of how I physically got from the bed and then straight into the bathroom and I had to get under the shower and stay there. And I remember standing there, I still had because back then to your socks with your shoes. Yeah, anyway, so obviously I kicked off my shoes at some point, and I remember standing in the shower with my socks on.
Speaker 5: So I remember that feeling of.
Speaker 7: Not bare feet in the shower and had my socks on and my nickers and my top and.
Speaker 5: My face was just like wow, and I was just in a.
Speaker 7: Total days of what was happening, and just like like stunned, and and then I stood under the shower for I don't, I don't, I don't know how long, and eventually I got out of the shower because I didn't know whether he was still in the unit or not. And I got out of the shower. I would yeah, I vaguely remember going into Little Ones at Dream. I went to the phone and I rang Triple zero and I remember saying this stupid thing, I didn't get a squad car here, like who says that? So after I don't know how long I was on the phone the Triple I, but eventually I do remember when, yeah, when there was like the knock at the door and I was saying it was the police.
Speaker 5: I remember sitting there.
Speaker 7: I remember sitting on the floor down there and like huddled up, and I remember crying and crying and crying, and I said I had because I wasn't game to open the door after what had happened. And I remember saying, how do I know it's you? And they kept on saying, well, we're the police, And I remember asking, can you put your badge under the door, But because it was like a thick fireproof door, and there was carpet. They said it wouldn't fit under the door, but I remember it would have been a good easy, like ten minutes before I was game enough to actually then open the door. And there were two cops there too, uniform.
Speaker 2: How terrified, just the whole yeah scene.
Speaker 5: How do you feel. I haven't gone through that sequence of events. I don't think of.
Speaker 2: The badly Brews twenty two year old mum was taking my police to nearby Saint Vincent's Hospital to be treated for facial injuries.
Speaker 7: I've always had long nails, and I think these two nails sort of like broke in, like in the scuffle of it all. The detective was just trying to make light of the situation and he said, look at you.
Speaker 5: You're black and blue.
Speaker 7: You're lucky to be alive, and you're worrying about two broken nails. Yeah, I remember he was like nice and he said that. Then, like when I went and had the X rays taken, I remember something up against my face in order to have the X ray taken, and I remember that hurting like crazy, and that's still to this day hit. This area still hurts, like if you wash your face too hard, or if you've got a little one sitting on your lap. You know how they tend to sort of like rock back and forward. Yeah, the amount of times that my kids would do that. And so as soon as I get bumped in that area, automatically, that whole scenario of getting off the ballot, clap the person with the baloklava and getting bashed comes instantly into my mind. It's never anything else that that just comes instantly into my mind. And then I'm back in that mindset, and then it can last week's months, and I'm just I'm flawed. I'm just I'm down for the count. I'm hyper. And that's why I have a German Shepherd because then I know that I can feel safe because no one comes near you with the German Shepherd.
Speaker 2: After being released from hospital, detectives escorted Nicole into the city station just see if she could identify her attacker.
Speaker 7: I remember them saying that they have to go and have a look at the mugshots and to don't worry if you see him in the photos.
Speaker 5: It'll just jump right out, an't you.
Speaker 7: And that's exactly what happened when I was looking through all the photos, it just jumped Yeah, literally jumped and I still have that memory of his face still to this day, of those little photos.
Speaker 2: The face that jumped out of that photo was Kevin Stephen Cornwall's the man n cole knew as photographer Greg Hawkins. Coincidentally, Greg Hawkins was also the name of Kevin's brother in law. Kevin's Liverpool home was then raided by police. Several items were seized, including a six inch knife, a wallet, business cards, a blue and white stripe beanie with the word sharks on it, sand choose, and a blue and white long sleeve jumper. The real Greg Hawkins told police he'd given Kevin ten of his business cards to generate new Life insurance customers. Kevin was refused bail and sent to Long Bay Jail on remand two weeks after Nicole's attack, a mystery man phoned her unit. Nicole's husband answered, and this is what he told police. These are his words, but not his voice.
Speaker 3: On the thirtieth of October nineteen eighty three, I was at home with my wife when the telephone rang. I answered it and said hello. A male voice said mister, I said yes. He said, I want to give you some advice about your family. I said, who are you? He said, A maid of mine is going down because your wife reckons he attacked her. It's bullshit. I said, who are you? He said I was with him, mate, half an hour after he was supposed to have done it. He couldn't have done it. We were doing a job. I said, why don't you give your mate Cornwall a message from me. Tell him he'd better pray that he stays in jail, because if he doesn't, praying won't help him. He said, Oh, you're tough, mate, real tough. Just remember, if your wife puts him away, you and her and your family can take your choice of a shotgun or broken bones. I said, look, mate, we've got no hassles with you. Cornwell did it and he's going to wear it. He said he didn't do anything. I told the police that I saw him within half an hour, but they didn't believe me. They believed you're bitch of a w I said, listen, fuck with if you've got a problem with me, get your ass over here now. He said, don't worry, mate, I know where you live. You better be ready. The door won't stop me. I'll blow it open. I said, forget the door I'll be waiting outside. The caller hung up. I would describe the voice on the telephone as been that of an Australian male about twenty five years old. His voice was educated, but he sounded like an oka. I could hear background noises over the telephone, like that in a hotel, but the caller didn't sound as though he was drunk. After the call, my wife and I were greatly upset by it, and I have grave fears for the safety of both myself and my family.
Speaker 2: You are now going to hear a transcript from Kevin's recorded interview with police when he was questioned over the armed attack on the young mum at Darlinghurst at one forty five pm on the twenty ninth of September nineteen eighty three. This is an actor, not the voice of Kevin Cornwall.
Speaker 6: At about one o'clock, I walked up to the phone to ring the Electricity Commission about extensions of time for payment. I walked across the road to the garage at the end of our street and bought a newspaper, the Daily Telegraph. I then walked home. I was home for about five minutes, then I left and went to Liverpool to the Youth and Community Center. I was only there for about five minutes and then drove to a block of flats where I knew Greg Climpson lived to get a gearbox for a car. I went to park my car and when a lady come up to me and asked me not to park there as her husband was going to back a truck onto the caravan. I moved the car to the other side of the road and I asked that same lady did she know Greg Clemson and what unit he lived in. She replied no, and I said thanks, anyway, I'll see if I.
Speaker 5: Can find him.
Speaker 6: I saw number five above the garage door where I'd seen Greg working on his car previously, so I went to Unit five and knocked on the door, but no one answered. I went back out the front of the units and again had a conversation with the lady I spoke to earlier, and then I got back in my car and headed towards home. That decided to get some lunch from my wife and myself.
Speaker 2: The next part of Kevin's alibi will sound extraordinarily familiar to you.
Speaker 6: I stopped at a take away food bar in Terminus Street, Liverpool, where I purchased a batted save, a piece of fish, a bag of chips, and a loaf of bread. I'd asked the man behind the counter what sort of fish it was, and he wrote it down on a piece of paper, the word Hake. And he went to the fridge and pulled out a tray of fish, and he explained that it was the only fish he uses. I paid from the goods and went straight home.
Speaker 2: Kevin told police he arrived home at approximately ten past two. Detectives interviewed witnesses connected to the address where Kevin said he'd been on the afternoon in question. A resident by the name of Kaylen Musgrove was shown a photograph of Kevin and detailed her interaction with him that afternoon. She says Kevin parked his white Holden station wagon in her driveway and she asked him to politely move it. Kevin then asked her if she'd seen his brother in law. Kaylen's husband said he didn't actually know his brother in law.
Speaker 5: She said.
Speaker 2: The man she identified as Kevin then walked over to his car and drove off. Kaylen Musgrove told detectives he appeared very nervous and tense. Nicole's attack happened at one forty five pm at Darlinghurst, which is about thirty four kilometers away from Liverpool. It's around a fifty minute Kaylen Musgrove said her interaction with Kevin happened between two thirty and three pm, making it very possible Kevin could have made it back to Liverpool in that timeframe. The service station attendant at Liverpool was also shown a photograph of Kevin and asked if he came in to buy a newspaper on Thursday, the twenty ninth of September. She told police, I don't remember what time he came in exactly, but it was between two thirty pm and four thirty pm that day. Remember, Kevin told police he was there just after one pm. Kevin Stephen Cornwall, who was twenty seven at the time, were charged with attempted sexual assault, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and armed robbery. Cornwall was later committed to stand trial, and Nicole remembers his demeanor at court.
Speaker 5: Smug, Yeah, smug and yeah, the attitude of height and do this.
Speaker 7: It wasn't as simple as just having to go through that trauma of going to court, like I'd never been inside a court ever, so to be confronted with that is mind boggling. Anyway, it's scary, Like I was what twenty two like, I was a kid, I was very immature, twenty two.
Speaker 5: Like I was a scared little what's the lowest form of a being.
Speaker 7: I was like a scared little aunt. I was like I felt like nothing. And yeah, so the jury people, I remember them looking at me and judging. And there was one particular day I had to wear this thin, black, tight skirt and this red off the shoulder jump up like, I look like a tart. I look like a slap. But that's what my ex husband did to me.
Speaker 2: Do you think that played into the decision of the jury.
Speaker 5: Absolutely? I do.
Speaker 2: So why do you believe that Kevin got away with it?
Speaker 7: Because the jury only heard about this one instance and they've got this female sitting in front of them that, on one particular day looked like a tart.
Speaker 2: At the time, Nicole often felt pressure from her then husband to dress a certain way. She thinks it affected the outcome of the trial. Kevin Cornwall was acquitted of all charges by the jury, just like he was in a separate rape troll a year earlier. Fast forward to two thousand and one, Kevin goes by the surname Correll and he's under investigation for the murder of his twenty three year old protege, Rachelle Charles. What went through your mind when you heard that he'd been investigated for the murder and suspected rape of a young woman.
Speaker 7: I felt scared because I still it's still always obviously you know, is he going to find me again? So yeah, instantly I got scared from my safety. Yeah, the instant that it came back into my life again. Yeah, I got scared.
Speaker 2: It's taken so much courage for you to speak out.
Speaker 5: But it's only because I want to see justice.
Speaker 2: Kevin Stephen Cornwall maintains his innocence and he was acquitted by a jury in both cases. I've asked Damien Luine to have a good look over the evidence in Jane and Nicole's cases. Let's get his take on them.
Speaker 10: It's all about deception. First of all. He goes to Jane where she's placed an advertisement in the local paper for someone to share a house on the pretense of doing that, and she's violently assaulted. So after the attack, he allegedly tells the victim Jane to shower. Now you have to look at the reasons why he's asking for that to happen, and it's perhaps maybe of the DNA contamination that he may be afraid of. With the second victim, Nicole, he's posed as a photographer. Now this is again deception. He provided a business card with a name, and Nichole immediately recognized who he was. He was a person who had been there before, pretending to be the photographer. Now again we have deception on this part.
Speaker 2: How much weight do you give when they point out someone in mugshots?
Speaker 10: Photograph identification is very difficult to say, at the very least in investigation phases. However, you have to really believe what the victim and it is telling you if they recognize that person, and sometimes you can just see it in their eyes when they're perusing the photo identification and normally it's done on my laptop back in that area was done with mugshots basically, and you can see their reactions straight away when and their eyes dilate, you can see that the body become tense, their movements, ay sweat, and you can obviously see the fear coming out inn't them, And to me, that was always a firm belief that the person who's pointing out this offender to me is believable, and that's the offender that's been involved in the attack.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a likelihood that two women could mistakenly point out Kevin in a mug shot.
Speaker 10: Well, this is very difficult to believe. I firmly believe that if two women have identified him in mugshot identification, then Kevin has got some problems because they can identify him and they've pointed the finger saying he's a person responsible. It's unlikely that would happen. I've never seen it. I've seen people pick out the same person in photograph identification and you're just building up your evidence against this person. And for two people who don't know each other to point him out is somewhat great evidence for the prosecution.
Speaker 2: In those cases. Well, in all of the cases against Kevin, he was acquitted.
Speaker 5: What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 10: Look difficult to say why he was acquitted and the reasons why. Now it's the onus of the prosecution to prove otherwise, and that can be difficult at the best of times, and sometimes the victims when they're giving examination or they're under cross examination, may withhold some information because they're embarrassed by what's happened. They're afraid, and it's difficult. You really have to think. You the prosecution, and it is always on the owners of the prosecution to prove the offenses. And it does happen, you know, sometimes we just don't get the verdict we want, even though we know we've got the right person.
Speaker 2: Are there any similarities in Kevin's alibi in all the historical matters he's been investigated over.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, and they're nearly all identical. And I'll go back to on the night that Rachelle left the Camden Hole and to go to somewhere, he says he went shopping into Campbelltown. He visited his girlfriend home it picked it, but she wasn't there. Then, he says, and this is where it rings alarm bells to me. He went to grab some fish and chips and a battered tarmor and he also visited a service station that night. Now, this alibi is similar to something that happened eighteen years earlier, and Kevin was questioned over his movements following us sexually a vaded attack on a young woman and Daly host. Now he told Plus it wasn't him. He said, I was getting fish and chips. That and I ordered a battered save piece of fish, bag of chips, and a loaf of bread. Now, let's go back to the night that Rachelle disappeared. He went to grab some fish and chips and about it saber turmoil in another matter, and this is the case where a young man was raped at punch bowl. He says he was getting takeaway. Now you have to ask, is there a common thread here or does he just like his greasy food.
Speaker 2: Rachelle's sister, Christie is incredibly grateful to both Jane and Nicole for sharing their stories with me. To shine a light on Rochelle's case, Christy recorded a video message for both women which I played to them.
Speaker 8: I just wanted to pass on how thankful we are here at team Sheell. My mum also passes on her thanks. Honestly, we cannot thank you enough. I really hope that what you've done today hasn't opened.
Speaker 5: Up too many old wounds.
Speaker 8: I'm sure that it has, But you are so incredibly brave, and even though I don't know you, I am just so proud of you. We need to stand up and we need to stand together. And even though I can't know you or see you or meet you, know that I stand with you and I just think that you're incredible. Thank you so much for helping us give Shell a voice. And even though it would have been really painful, I'm sure I hope that you feel empowered, and thank you for helping us to empower Chelle.
Speaker 5: If I was there, i'd give you a massive hug. Honestly, I have no words.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much, and I hope you're okay.
Speaker 2: How did you feel listening to that message?
Speaker 4: It's beautiful. I hope she gets justice for a sister. I really do.
Speaker 5: I feel quite empowered.
Speaker 7: And yeah, if you need anything else that could help, yeah, I'm more than happy because yeah, I feel different.
Speaker 5: I'm all good.
Speaker 2: We're all so grateful for you being so brave at this stage in your life. You didn't have to speak to me, you didn't have to share your story. It would have been easier for you to just hang up the phone.
Speaker 4: You can't do that when something like this happens, because you've got to got to don't let him scare you.
Speaker 5: The other women.
Speaker 1: Full sure.
Speaker 5: I have full confidence in that telling you you need justice.
Speaker 4: She needs justice, that young girl, And.
Speaker 2: Like Christy says, we have to stand together.
Speaker 5: Yep, all of us.
Speaker 7: The better.
Speaker 5: I would want to do anything.
Speaker 4: I just want to help her.
Speaker 5: Thank you again for being so kind to me. That was very difficult.
Speaker 4: He's not going to ever scare me again. You can run away, but you can't hide.
Speaker 2: On the next episode of Dear Rochelle.
Speaker 9: I met Kevin at a singles night. He told me that he was a psychologist.
Speaker 4: Alice had received phone calls from a gentleman who was a previous partner that he had the house bugged. I said, you just keep right away.
Speaker 5: He'd have his friends take care of me. I'd be dead by the end of the month.
Speaker 9: And with that he said, you're just a prattease and one of these is they going to find you slip from the fanny to the throat in a car park.
Speaker 2: Debt de Rochelle is a multimedia production from True Crime Australia. If you want to be the first to find out what happens next, go to deroshell dot com dot au. That's where News Corp Australia Subscribers get early access to podcast episodes and breaking news in our live investigation before anybody else, and you'll also find exclusive videos, interactive evidence, feature articles and more. That's deroshell dot com dot a U, d E A R R A C h E W l E dot com dot a U. If you have any tips or confidential information to share with me, Ashley Hanson, please send an email to Deroshelle at news dot com dot AU. Our supervising producer and audio editor is Reese Gunter, Rachel Fountain, Executive producer and audio director. Our executive editor is Sarah Blake. Our senior journalist is Patrick Carline. Video editors are Gillian McNally, Owen Yang and Stephen Woods. Picture editors are Jeff dr Mannan and Christy Miller. Senior camera operators are Daniel Andrews and Oscar Viera, with sound designed by Martin Perolta. Thanks also to Greg Thompson and Lennie Paneraz, Show Burreo Fayguld, Vanessa Grabb, Hailey Goddard, Stephen Grice, Charlotte Carp, Tina Coggins, and Harry Hughes. Special thanks to the Daily Telegraph editor Ben English and dear Rochelle would not be possible without the help, and I'm waivering support of Christian Ann Childs, Mindy Wicks, Damien Loon and Rachelle's friends. This podcast series is hosted and investigated by me Ashley Hanson