Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Jack and I am a coffee expert.
Speaker 2: Let's hear from the expert, guys. One of my favorite segments.
Speaker 3: It's the expert special people that specialize in very special things.
Speaker 4: This is a special thing. It's something we love in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Something we can't live without, especially doing this job.
Speaker 5: Off on it.
Speaker 2: It is coffee.
Speaker 4: Frough you reckon.
Speaker 3: Jack Simpson has taken out for the is just to be third, third in a row, officially claimed Australia's best burrista US.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, thanks go win.
Speaker 5: Yeah do you become Austral's best barrista? What sort of obstacle course do you need to pass?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Lots, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's a lot of hard work, Like you know, a lot of training. I spent last three months most nights in the training room just you know, practicing, perfecting all these little details.
Speaker 4: We pride ourselves on our coffee here in Melbourne to all these other head wobblers roll into Melbourne from other states and think they're going to clean up, and everyone in Melbourne is like, you have no chance, guys. I mean I'd like to say yes, but where's the second best coffee in the country outside of Melbourne?
Speaker 1: I think Sydney is getting close, right, I think, which is annoying.
Speaker 4: But they've got the silver medal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll remind them of Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: The coffee club last time I went to Brisbane.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, how's there coffee.
Speaker 2: Jack, let's talk. Let's talk Brewster coffee. First, Clint, you go into you.
Speaker 5: Do Axel and Hawthorne. There's two shops, one on Bird Road, one on glen Ferry Road.
Speaker 2: Do you guys write the names on the cups of your customers?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 6: I was going to bring this up because I've heard that Clint's got a bit of an Instagram.
Speaker 5: I've got a I might, I might hand you this and you can go through some of the names.
Speaker 3: So Clint often post photos of his coffee after he picks them up. Do I need to get their button ready? The center button you can click through?
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to say a word?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Center it okay? So imagine the orders are ready, Jack? Do you do the coffee for sure?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Coffee for chai chai chai?
Speaker 5: I think there was like a Colin's a koits clease yeah.
Speaker 6: I can say this way, I'll be okay, okay, coffee.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jack, coffee is culture here in Melbourne, but the real coffee of Fishieronado's say, you can only have it with like milk, that's it. But we have so many different milks now, is it okay? Is the coffee still as good if it's not with cow's milk?
Speaker 1: I think it is now.
Speaker 6: I think the way sort of alternate milks have progressed over the last few years. There's some really good quality ones, some really good recipes that they're creating. So I think, yeah, full cream milk alternate milks, I think are both good options.
Speaker 4: Because some people don't have the choice, but some people are like me, what.
Speaker 5: Do you like to make alternate milk? How many do you stock or use?
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's go through yeah, yeah, okay, how much time do we have you go through it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: Almond, tick, oat, coconut, Yeah, coconut. I've seen macademia.
Speaker 2: That is good.
Speaker 1: The macademia is soy. Yes, lactose free.
Speaker 2: We tried camel's milk.
Speaker 4: Do you try that one?
Speaker 6: Was not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard about it.
Speaker 4: I got them coffees made with camel's milk to see if they'd noticed an oh boy, did they notice? They were stomping around. Kind there's something wrong with this, And I was like, no.
Speaker 5: Mon's fine.
Speaker 3: Hey when it comes to picking beans, right, you guys are on fire at your coffee shop, Axle. But say we're in the supermarket, all right, picking beans for home. What shall we be looking for? Where's the best stuff come from?
Speaker 6: Okay, Look, it can come from a lot of different places, Central South America, Ethiopia, you know, all over Africa. There's a lot of good coffees. But I think a good tip for the supermarket is try and find the fresh, fresh beans. So if you can look at the roastate rather than expiry, look for a roastate. So it's a big thing that I do with competition is serve it at a particular day. So I serve it at ten days old. It's going to be difficult at the supermarket to find, but anything that's fresh or has a roasted date, I think is going to go as early as possible.
Speaker 2: And should we be buying the beans and crushing him up ourself?
Speaker 4: What depends what you've got. Like, I'm a pod girl because I just don't have time for the cleanup of the coffee machine. Are some pods better than others.
Speaker 6: There's some good pods as well, and I think I've seen some good ones in supermarkets too, So I think specially grade coffee is always good, whether it's pods or freshmen.
Speaker 4: But there's so many flavors. I was on an espresso the other day and I went on the website to order some more.
Speaker 2: We'd run out very overwhelming.
Speaker 4: There's like sixty different types of pods, and some are grown in different places. George, I know, and then you get distracted by George one.
Speaker 3: Yes, you look in his eyes and you're buying your results. What are the different ones?
Speaker 5: Isstretto?
Speaker 4: Do you know any thing about the best pods? Is there?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: Do you go flavored? Do you go classic?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't try it much of sort of like those commercial style ones. But there's a lot of good specially ones, and there's some single origin some.
Speaker 4: I've seen that on the website.
Speaker 2: The single origin, single origin is good.
Speaker 4: What about temperature? Yes, because I hate buying a coffee and it's so hot it burns your tongue.
Speaker 1: Is it supposed to be that hot?
Speaker 5: So I don't want it to too.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 6: It's so subjective, right, everyone likes it different, so I mean that's perfect temp. I think for milk sixty five degrees, which I think most people will consider too.
Speaker 5: Could really okay? Okay, what about I was gonna say, you're serving a customer and your eyes roll? Why do they? Why do your eyes roll? What's the most annoying order?
Speaker 2: Why to be syrup? Wouldn't it?
Speaker 5: Can I be.
Speaker 4: Jeans? You're reported for that?
Speaker 1: I think syrups would would have to be the worst.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I mean, like I was saying, like, you know, alternate milk's decap.
Speaker 2: There's really good options now, so it's quite annoying. I asked for a double small cappuccino, but just three quarters full.
Speaker 4: That's all right, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a.
Speaker 2: Bit bigger than a piccolo, but not yeah, not a full cut?
Speaker 5: Did a magic really originate in Melbourne? Of course it did. What is a magic?
Speaker 1: So it's a double espresso cut short? So it's called a double restrainto so.
Speaker 5: It's a top bit of the what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Cut short?
Speaker 1: So okay, I'm going to get a little technical.
Speaker 6: But a recipe is sort of you know, like building a cake, right, So making a cake love cake. Yeah, twenty grams of coffee dry going in and the espresso coming out with weigh that, so that's around forty grams of.
Speaker 4: Coffee out for a shot of coffee.
Speaker 6: Yes, so two spouts son espresso, but you would cut that to about thirty grams.
Speaker 2: So it's just a.
Speaker 5: Restricted, purest form of coffee.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like very sweet, like the acids, a little bit higher, a little bit punchier.
Speaker 4: So you did two of those in a matchic yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, and then three quarters milk.
Speaker 2: Oh that's what you like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's basically magic with no chocolate.
Speaker 5: So now when I order it's no fun when I order a magic in Sydney. Now I know why they think I'm a Wayne cert.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah I'm I've done it in Brisbane to Merlow Coffee Coffee and Brisbane and asked for a magic magic trick.
Speaker 1: Get you are.
Speaker 4: Magically kicked out of our shop. Come back when you've got a proper order.
Speaker 3: Well, look, Jack Simpson is our coffee expert. You can see him in action. Axle Coffee Shop, Clint, you're a regular?
Speaker 2: Whereabouts is the.
Speaker 5: Shop Berward Roade and glen Ferry Road, Axel coffee and.
Speaker 3: The third consecutive year in a row is the Australian Barista Championship.
Speaker 4: Just before we let you go, what is the most popular order. It's a cappuccino really for old ladies.
Speaker 6: No, no, I think I mean a latte. I think it's just a simple latte, still a classic, I think. So you can't beat it, you know, just milk and coffee.
Speaker 5: There you go, like it.
Speaker 4: Lauren wake Out feeling good following them on the socials,