Speaker 1: I'll get Aga Rivers. It's Jumbo, it's Fatty Harps, It's the Youth Project, Patrick and Tiff Day. Of course, every fourteenth day of my life, I'm subjected to complete fucking chaos and trauma and turmoil. I have to get myself up to do my like my box breathing before I start. I need to meditate. I need to get as zen as I can, because I know I'm stepping onto the roller coaster of chaos, a verbal chaos for an hour. But like a big boy, I put on my big boy pants and fucking front up yet again, Hello chaos, How are you both? What a ride it is?
Speaker 2: What a ride it is, isn't it?
Speaker 1: It's the best.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I end up with whiplash after these sessions.
Speaker 1: Patrick sitting over there like he spent yesterday at Saint Vincent de Paul, sitting telling you boasting about he's knitted jumper which has got a dinosaur on it. And last week or last time he was NASA, he was in his full NASA uniform. Sheldon, you're like a short Sheldon.
Speaker 3: It's a park, isn't it. Yeah, it's It's a great knitted jumper, isn't it it's got this Jurassic stegosaurus.
Speaker 1: I tell you what. If there's one thing that I love, it's a bald gay man in a diner short saw me the jumper. Fuck. If that doesn't do it for me, If that, if you can't start a cult with that jumper, you just not trying. He's come out punching, hasn't he?
Speaker 3: TIFF's offensive today?
Speaker 1: Really defensive? How on earth am I defensive? Name one thing that I've done? What? I'm on the attack. I'm on the attack.
Speaker 3: That's the opposite of defense, the art of war. You know, the best defense is an offense.
Speaker 1: I don't think you've read that book. I've actually read that. I have read it. I have read the article. I've got a copy of it.
Speaker 3: And the next time I see I'm going to throw it at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, keep your friends and enemies closer. That's the enemy of my enemy is my friend. He was ahead of his time. All so so amazing.
Speaker 3: It gets quoted in so many sci fi books so soon again, so many books full stop. Everyone quotes on So it's amazing book. And the interesting thing about it. If you haven't read it, you really should, because it's the art of War is about the art of life and interacting with people, and corporate life and just everyday life.
Speaker 1: It is phenomenal. Have you read it, Tith, No, I have not. It's very good. Well, you'd like it too, because you're a boxer, you're a little pugilist. You love you go to war every now and then in the cage, not in the cage, in the ring, Patrick, no comment from you, war every four night? Ah? Yeah, we do, we do. Patrick. All still in a aside. How are you? What is going on on planet you? Oh? Yeah, Look, I've got a wedding coming up this weekend. Not me. I'm not getting married.
Speaker 3: But at the last minute my cousin said, you reckon, you wouldn't mind filming it for us?
Speaker 1: Oh, so now the job, I don't mind it.
Speaker 3: She's one of my favorite cousins. So, my god, you met, If you.
Speaker 1: Met mister Wright, would you get married or is that not a yeah? Maybe or no? No? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't understand the need for I mean I understand the need for the I guess the legal implications of being in a partnership that's recognized. So I think I was very much a pro supporter of the idea of equality there, but the old institution of marriage. I kind of still think it's a bit kind of churchy, and I can understand why a lot of churchy people were upset with it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: I would certainly advocate for anybody to do whatever they bloody will like, just personally, I don't see a need for it, because you know, under most laws you don't need to get married to have your relationship recognized.
Speaker 1: So no, I wouldn't. What about you, Tiff, if you had a bloke in your life, I don't know, some hypothetical like a guy who was a paramedic and a chef and funny and lovable, and at the moment.
Speaker 2: You asked Patrick this question, I knew what was really going on. I'm just saying it for you to bring this conversation into it.
Speaker 1: It was just a fucking a segue to get to you. But I didn't want to be I was trying to be the cognitive covert operative. But you didn't let me get away with are you and Scott getting married anytime soon? I just thought I'd cut through all the bullshit.
Speaker 2: Then, No, Craig Anthony Harper, we are not. There are no plans to be getting married anytime soon, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I take that as a yes. Listeners, that's a yes, that's a hard yes. What role would Patrick play and what role would I play at your wedding?
Speaker 2: I think Patrick would be the flower boy and you would definitely be You would definitely.
Speaker 1: I'd be security, right, I'll be car Parker.
Speaker 2: We'd be my maid of honor.
Speaker 1: I'd make them I'd love that if you made me made of honor. I would wear a dress and I would pull that ship off beautifully. Did we have matching outfits? Tith, you would marry us Harms.
Speaker 3: You'd be the guy celebrate you can you?
Speaker 1: You could do it without swearing. That not a chance if you did that. If I didn't swear, I'd get fired, wouldn't I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Exactly Yeah, yeah yeah, Friends and family of the bride and groom, you comes welcome.
Speaker 3: Craig now offers celebrancy services.
Speaker 2: How many people would book you as a celebrant? You really get your Yeah, that side hustle.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be a very spiritual experience, but it'd be memorable.
Speaker 3: He made to By the way, friend of mine, lovely lady who's a celebrant. She's kind of straying towards funerals now, so maybe you could do that as well. I reckon more funerals people should stay up and say, you know what, he was a real cunt.
Speaker 1: None of this listen to you. Li's to you, Patrick, it sounds it sounds wrong when you say it. I know I don't swear often on the air. Deal I'd actually don't swear.
Speaker 3: I try not to, you know, I'd said to someone recently, I have been swearing more since doing this podcast, and I think it's influence.
Speaker 1: That's called swearing by osmosis. Yes, psychological sociological osmosis, we'll call it. Yeah, I do you know how many people have said to me over the years, and I couldn't be prouder. I swear more because of you. I'm like, you're welcome, it's great.
Speaker 3: Hey, just now you asked us the question, if you happen to meet the automaton of your life, would you break No?
Speaker 1: Do you want me to think about that more? You might not realize I've had a few opportunities in the last forty years, so that's a hard pass. But that's not I'm with you. It's like, I think the fact that people can't just as long as they're not hurting anyone, choose to live, you know, get married, don't get married, cohabitat, fucking see each other. I've got friends they're married. This is going to sound weird. I would say they almost have the best marriage that I know. They never I know they never blew because I know them both well. They live in separate houses because they got married when they were like forty, you know, second time around, they fucking love each other. Generally they're at you know, one of the other's house, but it's probably three nights a week where they don't. And I think the fact that they're not in each other's I'm not saying this how it is with others, but like they say, oh we love each other, we love being together. We also love space, and it doesn't diminish our relationship, it improves it. Like she said to me the other day, I get excited when I'm going to see him. I don't think too many wives are saying, Oh, my husband's coming home. I'm so excited, you know. I don't know. I'm not saying that's the optimal model, but what I'm saying is like, different things work for different people. So I'm not mad at that idea. So TIF maybe that's a potential.
Speaker 2: My uncle and Auntie were like that for years and years and years, and I always said that was the most they had the most brilliant relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it works. I could do that. I reckon.
Speaker 3: I would struggle now after well eleven years or so, like I don't even know how long. It's not quite eleven years. But I reckon I would would struggle to cohabitate with anybody except oh yeah, yeah, a thirty.
Speaker 1: Minute kind of rule at my house. It's like, if you're here at thirty one minutes, it's like that's too much. Now. I love you, but I know your ace, But can you go? Oh, I feel I spent a whole night at your place? You did? You did? I know? Next time you should try the other bedroom. There's lots of space in there. I mean, spoon by yourself. Crago, that's true. Let's talk about something that's not ridiculous. Oh sorry, that's right. What we're you here? For? Two thirds of Australians leave private information that is open to cyber criminals. Home Affairs Research tells us do tell Patrick.
Speaker 3: This is a real issue for so many people because cyber criminals are now able to just skim through social media and all that sort of stuff. This research was commissioned by the Australian Department of Home Affairs and what they found was sixty four percent of Australians had identifying information about them that was publicly visible.
Speaker 1: So what does that mean.
Speaker 3: It means that people are putting too much of their private information online and they potentially could be at risk from identity theft, and that's what it's about. The other thing I found I found was quite interesting as well, is that younger people are more at risk as well. They seem to be putting more stuff online that can identify them. So it's things like putting your phone number, your email address, and not knowing that your social media privacy settings you should be scrutinizing them. You should be checking those. And even when you install an app on your phone, does the app ask for access to your microphone and camera? That that often happens and you say to yourself, well, why does it need access to my phone and camera? You know, if it's say Facebook, why do they need that information? And then if you stop using the app, get rid of it, you know, or revoke access to whatever it is that it's got access too. So you know, that's kind of worrying. Recently, there's a very popular program used to build websites. It's called word Press, and we build our own sites for our clients in WordPress, and so I have a dedicated person and their only job is to go through and check every site every week to make sure security settings are up to date. And now what cyber criminals are doing is they're getting legitimate apps or plugins that go into the WordPress platform and instead of hacking them, that are buying out the company and then using that by stealth to access people's websites.
Speaker 1: So this is a real problem.
Speaker 3: And so whether it's your security online by just using social media, you've got you think hard about what you're giving access to, what you're giving permission to every single time that you install an app. And I think this is kind of really good information to have out there in the wild and to make you think, how many bloody apps have you got on your phone? I've probably got over two hundred on mine, and how many do I use every day? Maybe you know, so I'm just as guilty as everybody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's so much kind of thinking and talking and awareness now around. I think we talk about it too much, probably probably on this show we do. But yeah, just the impact of having so much shit on your phone. Yeah, we spoke last night with David Gillespie, who you know of mate, and the impact of just people being basically captured by these apps, and of course Instagrams are biggie and the physiological and psychological and mental health issues from that, as well as all the stuff you're talking about where people can now be hacked and tricked and deceived and you know, basically ruined financially. There's not a whole lot of upside to a lot of the apps, I think.
Speaker 3: And I know it's if you went through your own journey with the securities, you know, in terms of being being.
Speaker 1: Hacked and all that's sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: It's so traumatic to go through that, and if you can maybe have a look and try to avoid it any way, you can just by go through and delete a lot what I really love about my phone. I'm sure Apple must do it as well. I regularly get updates on apps that I haven't used for a while, and I'm sure a lot of you see that, take notice of it, have a look at what it was that you haven't used for a while, and then think about whether that app has access to your camera, to your microphone. Delete the little bugger and get rid of it. And it also means your phone will probably run a little bit better because you've got more memory capacity on it.
Speaker 1: I'm digressing, But Patrick, have you seen that shot? I know you don't know. You probably haven't because you don't watch much Telly, have you seen a show called Person of Interest?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Like, if you should ever watch a TV series, it's this because I tell you why. It's between two thousand and eight and two fifteen. I think it was two thousand and nine twenty fifteen. And what's fascinating is watching this show basically predict what's happening now with and they talk about AI overtaking basically the world and all like so much of the stuff that's happening in real time right now. They were doing a pretend kind of whatever about it. Yeah, ten earlier, like fourteen years ago. And it's so well thought through and so well planned, and it's not really at all clunky. It goes for about five seasons, but if you went down that rabbit hole, and I think you'd like the characters in it too. Tif you probably would as well. But I don't think. I don't know why. I think Patrick has more time than you, but got attentions Dan such. I don't know. This is a weird one that I'm going to shut up and get you to talk about something else. But the other day I was at a at the gym that I train at. But you see this at most gyms in Australia where there's a wall of personal trainers. You've seen this. You go in, here's all our trainers, Bob and Sally and right and right there on the wall is their phone number. So any weirdo in that gym can go, oh, this young lady in the gym, who's wow, she's lovely. Now I've got her phone number. I reckon. They need to stop doing that, you know, I think. But it's still happening like it happens at the gym. I won't name it, but where where we all train and.
Speaker 2: Their personal phone number though, or is that a phone number.
Speaker 1: That that's their mobile number? Because yeah, they're all different. It's not the gym number, you know, you get.
Speaker 3: What they call e sims where you don't need a physical SIM card, and most phones have the capability to be able to have a physical SIM and an e SIM. And I think that for most people in business, I know that we give out our numbers, but if you were a personal trainer, particularly a female personal trainer, maybe get a like not a burn a phone, but get an alternate number and you can have it on the same phone.
Speaker 1: You don't need two phones.
Speaker 3: You just use the same phone two different numbers, and then you can just block anything or turn off that other number whenever you keep away from from strange people.
Speaker 1: Well that makes sense. If do you hand out your number, like do you who? What needs to happen for you to be able to be comfortable to give your phone number to someone?
Speaker 2: Well, if I'm having a if I'm in person with them, or I'm having a conversation, I'll give them my number. It would be on my business cards. I'd say, I don't really have a queue in it.
Speaker 1: I think I got on the craig off the back of a toilet door. Yeah, well that could have been one of one hundred doors I mean yeah, yeah, was it just above a picture of a cock and balls was that I wasn't going to go there. I was gonna let he start right. He starts to make me feel uncomfortable, and then I don't get uncomfortable and I ramp it up and you're then you all get fucking blushy it. Don't come to the dance if you don't want to dance. Brock and hell fuck and you're like ha ha, So I down the toilet door and then I got cock and balls and you're like, oh, I don't want to be here, let me out of here. Fucking hell, you gotta go hard or don't go at all. No, it was. It was a sketch of someone kneelking down. You know, you know where you got my number off your chest when I wrote it on there with lipstick? Your bitch? All right? O? Could I just apologize to everybody I started that? This is why they come. Do they care it? They didn't give a fuck about tech. They just want to hear journeying. People go I love you and Tiff and Patrick, and then never saying because Patrick's so good at tech, they love it because of all, They're like, fuck Patrick and his tech. I just want to hear you. Three hang shit on each other. Bluetooth tracker hidden in a podcast. Oh sorry, hitten, in a postcard? How's my dick? How's my dick? Slexia going Yeah, let me start again from the top. Welcome back. This is a you project. I'm jumbo, I'm verbally challenged. Bluetooth tracker hidden in a postcard and mailed to a warship canal exposed its location five dollars gadget puts a five hundred and eighty five million Dutch ship at risk for twenty four hours. Do tell Patty how good is this? It's kind of scary as well.
Speaker 3: So the Dutch air defense frigate, the Everston, it was part of a NATO operation, just a joint forced operation, and they encourage the sailors on board, the seamen.
Speaker 1: To have look girl, see like I opened the legit door for you, just like here you go, be a grown up, put on your big boy pans, talk about tech all right, continue on with your seaman story and carry on.
Speaker 3: I encourage the sailors to have regular contact with family and friends. And someone hid a Bluetooth tracker. So one of those trackers, like an Apple a tag in a package that was sent to the ship and it wasn't discovered, and potentially it was you know, it meant that they could pinpoint exactly where it was in the sea or the ocean, wherever it was. It's quite an interesting kind of concept now that you can, you know, put these trackers everywhere, and we hear I often hear stories about, you know, people who put trackers in cars or put it in you know, who might be stalkers and can use these trackers to track people down. So the fact that it was on a warship is pretty pretty epic. They did eventually find it, but they don't really you know, no one really thought of the full ramifications because an air tag costs like twenty nine bucks, you know, and you can even get the cheaper Amazon ones, like you can get an Android one for about ten dollars, and these trackers could potentially pinpoint anything car warship.
Speaker 1: I thought you said to me, I might be fucking this up, that we were talking about these kind of trackers and you said they have like a forty k range or something. The way, yeah, go on.
Speaker 3: The way they work, is it they don't quite have So that with the Apple air tags and a lot of the other tags are doing this now as well. They basically bunny hop off other phones in the area. So you know with the Bluetooth device, have you ever walked out of the letter box you're listening on your headphones and then suddenly you know your phones inside the house and your coverage cuts out because you've walked too far away from your phone. Well, the air tags work in the same way. But what they do is they look for other iPhones and then they piggyback off the others. So if you imagine a map and all the different iPhones that people have in Australia, has a really big uptake of iPhones and it falls finish, so it leaves TIFF's iPhone range and it connects to Harps's iPhone range and then Patrick. So effectively, the range of the track doesn't matter so much, but if someone has their phone nearby, it can piggyback off that and that's how they work.
Speaker 1: Roger that I feel like a ray Ban Smart classes have got way too much airtime on their show. But just give us a brief summary of what's happening or not happening. This is okay, this is an interesting one.
Speaker 3: It's a proposal that was kind of leaked via Facebook, and what they would thinking of doing was with their smart glasses, they wanted to use what they call name tag AI. Now what that would mean is their AI would scour the internet. We just mentioned earlier too many people have got their personal details online, their name, their photo. The AI glasses, if you walked up to a stranger, it would scan their face and then pop the name of that person up creepily.
Speaker 1: That would also work with children potentially, So suddenly it's a very deep and.
Speaker 3: Dark, kind of ominous cloud over these smart glasses. I still like the idea of calling them glassholes. So in this instance, the seventy organizations have got together at this proposal by Meta, and it sounds like they may cancel it because there's been so much pressure from a whole lot of civil rights groups saying this is just taken creepy to the next level.
Speaker 1: So that's what's happening at the moment.
Speaker 3: But there's another article I read I think yesterday, that is the law enforcement or is it the Ice Skies in the United States, that group of they call.
Speaker 1: Them ice Oh yeah, yeah yeah, Ice yea.
Speaker 3: Well, they're talking about rolling it out for them so they would be able to scan people in crowds and potentially pick up and scan massive databases to be able to id potential criminals or people who are anti Trump. Who knows what the things are that they're going to be scanning for. And that's where these smart glasses are kind of bad in a lot of ways when it comes to privacy, because the've got damn cameras built into them.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And the thing is, when you open this store, and let's say we did have that technology available right now. And while I love police and I love doctors and nurses and all these people who do these amazing jobs, you know, you only need one person who's a scumbag who's also in some kind of job, and it's going to be misused, you know, So that it's like most police scumbags, absolutely not. Most of them are somewhere between good at their job and amazing, just like podcasters, just like whatever. You know. But I feel that as a lot of power to give an individual. Yeah, and you just wonder where those glasses with that capacity, where that might end up. You know that obviously that that could end up in the hands of people who aren't don't have our best interests at heart, So yeah, I don't. I like the technology. I think it's amazing, like that, shit, I'm like, that is so amazing that you can look at someone tells you their name, who they are, where they're from, you can access all their data with facial recognition. And in a perfect world, I think it'd be brilliant. But we don't live in that world where people don't steal and manipulate and extort. We don't live in that world. So I think with technology like that, you've got to be real practical about how it would be used in the worst case scenario.
Speaker 3: I would love to have a pair when I am with a whole group of people whose names are forgotten, because.
Speaker 1: I can see that would be great.
Speaker 3: When you're function and you're wandering around, you think, oh man, what's that person's name?
Speaker 1: Pretty crap at that, And you can only use old cock for so long. Yeah, I mean, you've got to you got to get something else, nugget two dogs. It's terrible with ladies, sure is Scott. With ladies it's tarta because you can't call them old mate or two dogs or bro. I mean, Tiff, does I call you bro? All the time.
Speaker 2: I was menaging my friend in Perth the other day and I said bro, and she wrote back, don't you ever call me bro again? What the who are you?
Speaker 1: And I was like, you met?
Speaker 2: I have a lot of dudes, mate, all everybody brow And then like I really realize what you've done to me, hearts, You've ruined me.
Speaker 1: Ruined me? You never come? How come in this this story of self awareness? And then I all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Becomesmosis social osmosis. It's out of the hands.
Speaker 1: With people who drag.
Speaker 2: You up well somewhere.
Speaker 1: If that was true, i'd be kissing boys because I've been hanging around with Patrick thirty years. So although that could be on the cards, I mean, let's see how we go.
Speaker 3: Look at how successfully you've been with the women that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't look to me for any relationship advice. I am a poster boy for nothing. Good Yeah, good observation, Patrick, Thank you? Sorry? Yeah, you just see, there's no need. There's no need to be sorry because there's an element. But I guess you have to want that, don't you. But it's not I mean, yeah, it's not just not high on my list of things. To is do the right word. I feel like that's saying yeah anyway in other.
Speaker 3: News and in other news, I'll give you a hand up out of the hole, mate. Vivian Mayer is an amazing street for photographer who was discovered after she died. And she was this woman who was quite quirky. She was a nanny for lots of families I think in the United States, so in New York and a few other places. And what people didn't know about this woman was that she was minding the kids. But she also had this really cool Hasselblad camera. Where ever seen those cameras that people would hold at chest height and then look down and the viewfinder was by looking down, so not holding the camera to your face. So Vivian Mayer, after she died, all her possessions went to auction, and this really scanny guy saw all this undeveloped film, thousands of roles of undeveloped film, buys the lot for three hundred bucks and suddenly discovers this woman was an amazing street photographer.
Speaker 1: I know it's a long story, but there's a reason.
Speaker 3: So there's a real concern that street photography may die because of people's concerns about privacy. Now, I don't know if you've seen any of those lovely black and white photos of candid shots of people being people in say New York or wherever it happens to be, or Melbourne, and there's an amazing snapshot of a moment in life where people are being themselves. They're not knowing they're being photographed, but it's just beautiful photography. And I love street photography. And now there's a suggestion that with smart classes and all the techlet's around and how easy it is to take photos of people, I guess covertly and that's exactly what this was. But that's where I'm warring with the idea of taking photos. In Australia, it is legal to take a photo of anybody in the public space. So if you're walking down the street, you're walking into your cafe, I potentially could be sitting in my car with a long lens and I could take photos of you while they got creepy quickly, didn't it. But that's legal. You can do that in Australia. And so I don't know what's your take on street photography. I think it's a beautiful art form and I think capturing the moment and if you look at some of the old street photography, it's phenomenal. And that's why I mentioned Vivian Mayor. If you haven't seen the documentary Finding Vivian Mayer, do get it. It's one of my favorite films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you, but I feel like the magic has gone, like now, I'm not even sure. I'm pretty sure it was Melbourne. There's this old photo from maybe the nineteen thirties and it was at a busy intersection in Melbourne and there are people walking just like the lights. I don't know how come, but there are people walking every direction across this intersection. So the traffic was stopped both ways. But I think it's like forty five seconds or something. But it's just this sea of humanity, as you said, completely oblivious to the fact that anybody's capturing this moment, and just the clothing they're wearing, and all the men with their hats and the women in you know, they're fuck what are you allowed to say in twenty twenty six? But am I allowed to say? They're beautiful dresses and dudes, the dudes with their umbrellas and you know, men carrying newspapers under their arms, and you know, the odd cigarette hanging out of the gob, you know, and Telly her spit and it's like fucking just being why do I say that word so much? I'm going to try and lower it. Yeah, it's like it's like my verbal spack filler, you know, when there's like a hole in the wall. But yeah, I love that stuff. But yeah, I don't know that that's transferable to right now because as you said, you're out taking pictures of people in the street. That's not magic. That's a jailable offense. Well not according to you, but you know what I mean. That's gone from like beautiful and magic to creepy. Elizabeth Street and Flinders Street.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking of the one intersection in the center of Melbourne that has multi directional crossings is the only one I can think of, Tiff.
Speaker 2: Said last year, a couple of times in one of the local Facebook groups around since Kilda Elwood, I remember seeing posts twice about a particular man that people were warning was standing on like somewhere near the beach in sin Kilda and taking distant from a distance, taking photos of women sunbathing on the beach. And the manner in which he was doing it was concerning people and that so they were they were approaching him and telling him he wasn't allowed to and so it was a bit there's that aspect that gets a little bit creepy.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, somebody said to me the other day at the cafe. Because the you know the little stand on the back of the iPhone that props your phone up so you don't have to hold it anyway, I broke that, so now I've got to hold it if I'm scrolling something or whatever. But it could look like I'm filming people who were in front of me. And someone said, I know you're not, but it looks like you're filming people. And I went, oh, good point. And now being conscious of angling it down towards the floor more, Yeah, because as just somebody walking in going, what's that guy over there holding up his phone like a fucking granddad, like squinting at the screen like fucking mister magoo, oh magoo. Yeah. But it's there's there's so many things now that and I'm not saying that all men have it harder. We didn't. We definitely don't. But like I was walking to a friend of mine as Aaron. Do you remember you know Asa who used to work at Harper's Patrick maybe yeah, a cyclist, a cyclist, Aaron. Anyway, we were going to get a coffee. We're walking from my joint up to the and to walk to the cafe that we went to, you have to go past the school. And it was lunchtime and I said, mate, let's just cross here just before we got to school. He's like, all right, well, I don't like walking past the school, and just because I feel like, not because obviously anything's happening, but perception. Oh the old guy walking past the school where children are out playing, And I don't want to give anyone any reason to have any perception. And that's kind of sad that you just can't, like you think, oh fuck, I'm not worried about what I'm doing or not doing. I'm worried about how this might look to some people who make some kind of assumption. So you know, that's, of course, this is a minimal issue. I understand people have real problems, this is not one, but yeah, just factoring that in, as you know, as like even with the guy on the beach with a camera that Tiff was talking about who could have well been a legit creep, but you don't know, and there could be other guys walking past the school who are no good. Well, how the fuck do you tell the difference. I had an.
Speaker 3: Interesting situation kind of prop up last night. I was teaching tai Chi and I was talking to one of my students before class, and she was telling me that someone had posted on Facebook recently in one of the local groups there were a couple of kids and we're talking under eighteens, who allegedly had stolen alcohol from the local supermarket. And there were a number of police cars apprehending these young people. And someone said that they were actually in handcuffs. Now that's pretty dramatic for sleepy old Land.
Speaker 1: That you never see that ever.
Speaker 3: And the thing that really struck me was someone took a photograph of that unfolding with the faces of these kids. Now, what happened to innocence before conviction? You know, you need to have due process. And I thought, you've taken a photo of a child, and they are a child still under eighteen. They may have done something wrong, but you've potentially now posted it on Facebook and a public group. And I thought that that was not just creepy, but really a horrible thing to do. Sure they've done something stupid potentially. Sure they've been apprehended and they've been put in handcuffs. But man's that's shaming someone to the nth degree. Isn't that awful?
Speaker 1: Man? You don't think so? Ah? Okay, Look, I'm like with the shit that's currently going on that you know, like like these they were on the news last night. There were these four guys that attacked They were hanging out of a car. They attacked these people of a whole shooting match. Horrendous, right. One of them was already out on bail and then he got rebailed, right, and they just kicked the shit out of this bloke. Like, honestly, you're seventeen years old. Fuck out. If you're committing serious violent crimes. I do not care about whether or not your face is in the media. I think, why, hang on, why are we so worried about this guy that's repeatedly been charged and found guilty and then bailed. Why are we worried about that? Like this brings up something me the protector. I'm like, I think we need to protect the people that are being violated and harmed way more than some guy having his face seen. That doesn't bother me at all.
Speaker 3: Now, look, I agree with you on that front. And for hard crime, I think it goes back to the judicial system and the magistrate or the judge who decided to put somebody who was already bailed on bail again. That's just the stupid thing to do personally, I would think. But I'm talking about a soft crime of theft. I mean this is coming from somebody who I know. You gave me that gave me a hard time about it. But I had my car broken into and a lot of stuff taken and that was really really upsetting.
Speaker 1: So I get it.
Speaker 3: And if I'd caught the bloke who was breaking into my car, yeah, I probably would have taken a photo and given it to police and maybe published it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But the reality of it is I get where you from and I think that we need to be tough on crime.
Speaker 1: And I know the laws are changing.
Speaker 3: I think in Queensland recently they just lowered the age so I think someone even at the age of fourteen or fifteen can actually be charged with adult kind of They can have the book thrown at them effectively, even if they're under arm age.
Speaker 1: So that life. Yeah, how do we get too grown up or serious on what is essentially a frivolous talk fest? But yeah, it's like I think, whatever we are current and I'm not blaming anyone, I'm not blaming the police or the judiciary. Aya, There's a multitude of factors. But the bottom line is, whatever we are currently doing in Victoria anyway, it isn't working. Like that's not an opinion. Just fucking pay attention because it's escalating. It's not diminishing, it's escalating. There are more people being hurt, there are more crimes, there's more prevalence. It seems everyone gets a slap on a wrist. And I do not think the way that we are currently approaching it. I do not have the solution. But you know, people who haven't done anything, all the compassion from me. But the people who are actually perpetrating crimes and literally hurting families and individuals, fuck them. They need to be dealt with. Like, the problem is, you can go commit a crime and there's no real deterrent. If you're a certain age, it's like, well, and you can run around with a machete, you can commit violent crime and some of them get put into juvenile detention. But yeah, I don't know, it's just it's a very it's such a weird time at the moment, just like the shit that none of us grew up with, Like it's just unheard of, you know, like like in Sleepy Beland there probably wasn't in the nineties. There probably wasn't a crime committed for the decade. You know.
Speaker 3: When I first moved to the land, I was part of neighborhood Watch and we ended up closing it down because there was no crime exactly. This is eighteen years ago. We used to get together for meetings. It's like, well, what happened nothing? What have we been putting the newsletter at?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: It was. We ended up just like we let's just put the money back into the neighborhood watch pool because there's no reason to catch up.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Tip. Were you going to say something? No, No, Patrick, Let's jump in the nature and we can go back if you want. Nature in the story, nature might pulse to a universal rhythm of two beats per second. How amazing is this? I've got to tell you more about it.
Speaker 3: So there's research that's been done into multiple species, and it's believed that across the entire planet there's a whole lot of animals have this synchronicity where no matter of the size or the species or whatever the animal happens to be, there seems to be that communication within that species is two beats per second. So say it's a firefly, when they're flashing in sequence and they're communicating that way, it's two beats per second. So this is an analysis, a deep dive into the communication signals across the entire animal kingdom. So bird mating calls frogs doing you know their real froggy things?
Speaker 1: Human music as well. I love it. I love it when you get technical. Hey everyone, just like if you're taking notes, keep up, just froggy doing you know their froggy things. Just we'll just take a break now so you can get that down, Patrick Baronello, Patrick James Bonello, twenty twenty six. You welcome, carry on, Thanks for that.
Speaker 3: I have tree frogs around my house too, not inside the house, but I hear them all the time.
Speaker 1: I love the tree frogs. Anyway, do you mean do you mean you have tree frogs or you have tree frogs. No, I've got two plus one. Yeah, tree frogs. I got tree frogs. I've got tree frogs in mcgarritonha to Misha.
Speaker 3: Anyway, as I said, a tempo of these signal clusters around two bits per second.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to keep doing the show in an Irish accent.
Speaker 3: But isn't it amazing given how long all of these species have been evolving independently, and yet there's this amazing synchronicity. So a mathematician by the name of Guy Armasha from the Northwestern University of the United States has been looking into this and he said it even resonates on a level of ten hurtz, he said, which they just can't fully explain. But I love the sense of this interconnected nature of nature.
Speaker 1: Isn't that phenomenal? Yeah, it's amazing. Ah. I think there is so much more going on with nature than we You know, there are a lot of people who contend at the well, there's a very informed, educated group of people now who are researching like consciousness in plants. Now, if you'd have said that to me ten years ago, would have gone, you're a fucking idiot. I'm open to it. Now like a kind of not consciousness as in human consciousness. But by the way, we don't even know what consciousness is. You know that in science they call consciousness the big problem because nobody can explain what the fuck it is. But at the very least, we might say in plants and animals, it's a kind of an awareness, you know, where they know something's going on and they respond to that something. Well, that's a kind of knowledge, an awareness and a response. Yes, Tip's got a little nose picking figure up, she's got a numb figure up. I read the book called The Secret.
Speaker 2: Life of Plants maybe a couple of years ago, and it's brilliant. And I just looked up then when it was written in nineteen seventy three, really, and it is an incredibly insight. It's a brilliant book.
Speaker 3: Must have had a resurgence because I only read it again myself the first time maybe two or three years ago. And it talks about the my celial network where the fung gu I have the synchron city with trees and forests, and that's how they connect to each other and they can warn each other.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal. That's like when there's like an invasive bug or whatever at the start of a forest and it starts killing trees or leaves or whatever, and then there's this almost like the analogy would be an underground neural network, and it kind of then the trees further along where the bug or the whatever is progressing, start producing this toxic shit that kills the bugs and it like, but they've been forewarned by the trees that precede them, and then it stops. So that is I mean, that is an intelligence. That is absolutely intelligence because there was a problem. They solved the problem. They talk, They just don't talk like us. They think, but they don't have contination. They don't go, hey, you fucking trees over there, what's going on? You'll look shit, there's none of that. Maybe they take you just in a froggy sort of way. Oh, can I just say, without knowing anything about this next story, it's so very arrogant of me. I say it up front. I call complete bullshit on the next story before you even tell me what it is. I can tell you because I feel like if this was true, it'd be the top thing on every news coverage in the world. Scientists revive a twenty four year old, twenty thousand year old, twenty four thousand year old animal frozen in Siberia. It woke up and started reproducing. I'm calling bullshit.
Speaker 3: It's reported that it was what they call a road of fire. It's a very very small, multi cellular organism. Okay, now, these that's not an animal. It is I think a scientist saying that it's an animal to an animal, it's a multi cellular You.
Speaker 1: Think you think scientists don't bullshit. I'm a scientist. I'd bullshit all the time. It is zoo clearly. Clearly, I'm not the high water mark.
Speaker 3: So it's it's it's a freshwater zooplankton is what it's called. And they founded in perma frost and it had been frozen for twenty four thousand years and they were able to thaw it out and it came back to life, is what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think plankton is an animal, bro right, Isn't it? Isn't it? It's like fucking seaweed. Some of my tiff look up plankton and tell me what it is, and it's called a zoo plankton. Yeah, are you admitting defeat? No, I'm not admitting defeat. The word the word animal frozen in Siberia is somewhat misleading.
Speaker 2: Organisms that drift in float in water.
Speaker 1: You say that again.
Speaker 2: Plankton are tiny living organisms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hardly an animal.
Speaker 2: Zooplankton tiny animals that feed on either plankton or organic matter.
Speaker 1: Fuck but how big? How big are those How big are those tiny animals? I'm still trying to win. How big are those tiny animals? Your honor? How big are zooplankton? Not as big as a fucking if it's not as big as a German shepherd?
Speaker 2: I'm out they are zero point zero two millimeters, zero micrometers.
Speaker 1: Twenty microns. Yeah, yeah, so you can't fucking see them. They're not an animal, not how big it is. It's what you do with it, Craiger. You should know that, do I Have you seen my nose? Larger?
Speaker 2: Zooplankton up to a few centimeters small, visible like tiny shrimp, and then giants still technically zoo several meters long.
Speaker 1: Like. All I can say is thank god they're back. I mean, everyone sigh of relief. Fuck hell thousand years it's like, shit, what just happened? Where is everyone? Yeah? By the way, what's the internet. When birds sing around your home, science says it's boosting your mind and well being. Yeah, that doesn't I believe that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I know. I love when I do my morning walks. I hear kooker barrows. Magpies are probably my favorite. I love the warble of a maggie. But I'm very fortunate where I take out Fritzy and we go walking, we hear lots and lots and lots of birds. And now it's thought that there's a real psychological connection to listening to birds and the beneficial effect it has on our brains. And it's thought that having birds nearby can make your mind sharper and more capable of focusing. And I never really appreciated birds as much as when I went to Beijing and didn't hear or see any.
Speaker 1: Go to a big and there are no.
Speaker 3: And it really struck me that I thought, wait a minute, there are no birds. Weren't even pigeons craping on stuff. So it was really quite interesting. But this is a it's an article called the differential effects of mindfulness and distraction on affect and body satisfaction following food consumption.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that title I would like to commute. Can you say is that if I click on the link here, will I find that article?
Speaker 3: I don't know, maybe, but anyway, So hearing birds at home boosts cognitive function, is what it's thought as well. So there's a sense of well being, but it also helps with cognitive function as well. So isn't that great? Maybe go to bed listening to bird sounds. I mean, I guess you just go to YouTube.
Speaker 1: I listen to waves. Okay, I listened to the ocean that just I can be wide awake and I have the waves start crashing and I'm out. I'm out a simpler way of being the simple. This feels like nineteen seventy eight, the Rise of the Offline Club.
Speaker 3: I love this. Young people are doing some really cool stuff. There's a thing called analog bags, and this is so cool. What young people are doing is they're leaving their phone at home. They're getting a bag and they're putting in gigsaw puzzles and things you can draw on, and they're going and hanging out and they're using their analog bag to connect with people, to not have smartphones, not look at screens. And I love this movement away from technology. As someone who loves tech, I think, you know, just getting away from it is such a relief as well.
Speaker 1: So isn't that a cool thing to do? Analog bags?
Speaker 3: I love the idea behind that, and I like that young people are saying we need to be more engaged rather than looking at screens, and they're doing it. No one's forcing them, They're kind of making the decision themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's good and I think that I think we really need. As Tiff and I have spoken about this before. The we all know, ah, we scroll too much. You may or may not. I don't know how much you do, but TIF and I definitely do, and a lot of our listeners definitely do. Like I said, I was talking to David Gillespie last night, Patrick and Tiff and his son, his son who's as smart. All these kids are smarty pants as. But one of them realized he was, probably, much to his absolute shock, probably wasting about three hours a day on his phone, which I think is probably the lower end of the scale of some people. But he put this app on that and it was on Instagram. He put this app on where you can just I know everyone has heard of this except me. So I know it's not news for many tips like well that's been around since the Second World War, you'll fuck with but anyway, and then back in my day, the telephone, oh Graham, Alexander Bell, what a forward thinker he was, and the car. But so it just stops you being able to use those apps. You set the time and it's locked in and no matter. I guess eventually you could if you had to. But then yeah, so he's allowed to use seven pm to seven thirty is his Instagram time, and he said it's like changed his life. Like sometimes we're not going to will power it, We're not going to white knuckle it. You know, sometimes we need a tool to help us. You're my tool.
Speaker 4: I think he's talking about me, Tiff. I hope so, Tiff, I think that's a good idea. Do you use tech tooo much or do you use you know, are you a scroller Patrick or not?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: I'm a YouTube scroller, so I don't use social media at all, but I do find I fall into a little bit of a trap of looking at YouTube a little bit, you know, flicking through. I mean I would sit down and watch a YouTube movie and I love watching short films, so I like looking at different genres. There's a couple of sci fi channels that I really really enjoy watching. There's some really good stuff on YouTube, and there's a lot of independent creators, people who are filmmakers who may not ever get to a film festival or may not ever get to a cinema, but there's such good stuff on there. So I think rather than just scrolling, you know, incessantly, I tend to go past the shorts. I don't really like the shorts very much. I like to do a bit of a deeper dive. But I definitely am a bit addicted to the five to twelve minute short films. I love them, and I will sit down and do that. But I also scroll news a lot. My tech news that I do I do when I wake up is go through my tech news and start looking at what's happening.
Speaker 1: I feel like when you're watching little videos like not thirty second things on Insta or TikTok or whatever, but you know where you're actually learning something it's not you know, I feel like I commit upgrade. It doesn't have to be a downgrade to your brain. Now Patrick going to be very magnanimous, which is ironic because if you are magnanimous, you don't call yourself that. I'm going to be very magnanimous and say we've got a not long to go. I'm going to get let you pick the last two stories because there's about ten options and rather than me just target in on one, is there one or two that or is there two that excite you more than the others?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, you know we did the whole moon thing last episode to the Artemis Mission. I'm still excited about it because there's a lot of moon stuff in the news. But I had a real chuckle to myself when I saw an article that Volvo has developed the Cosmic Surfer, which is a it's got gravity adapted wheels designed for driving on the Moon. So Volvo and you can think of the safest vehicle in the world. Volvo has created and they're hoping that this will be the next moon landing.
Speaker 1: This is their rover.
Speaker 3: The funniest thing about this car, which looks amazing, it's got fucking break lights, like.
Speaker 1: Wow wow lights. It's the only rover on the moon. Now one's going to back into you, no one. I just sorry. That just tickles my fancy.
Speaker 3: That the Volvo cosmic server has break lights.
Speaker 1: Well, it's probably because it's to get people like you and me talking about it. And here we are simple as marketing strategy. Ever, let's put brak lights on it. People will talk about that shit. I'm going to have a look at that cosmic surfer by Volvo last one, last one, bro very. This is close to my heart. Mum had Alzheimer's.
Speaker 3: It's thought now that the use of AI could detect early signs of Alzheimer's in under a minute, so being able to deep dive and to uncover early signs of Alzheimer's in ways that maybe traditional methods can't find. Because there's about seven even in the United States, about seven million Americans aged over sixty five are thought to be living with Alzheimer's, and there's a lot on a as well, and so the research that's been done is using AI. And this is some of the really positive stuff that comes out of AI studies because it's been published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and it says that basically they're focusing on analyzing the really subtle patterns of speech that people have. So looking at speech patterns and they think the change in word choices, fluency, sentence structure can be an indicator.
Speaker 1: So by analyzing.
Speaker 3: That, they may be able to detect in a really quick way whether a person may have the beginnings of Alzheimer's.
Speaker 1: So I thought that was really really fascinating. Yep, yep, that's quite close to my heart at the moment, as you might both understand. So anything that's going to help in that space, mate, I'm all for. And anything that's going to kind of reduce diagnosis to treatment time potentially is a good thing. Well done, you, Well, that was fun. That was Wow. That was a real pot poirie of conversation. That was a fruit salad of verbal intercourse. Wasn't it to finish off that way? Didn't he? Tiff? He had to do it?
Speaker 2: What the pictures in my head right now are.
Speaker 1: So that's why, that's why if I ever did stand up, which I won't because one I'm not funny and two I'm scared, But if I did, I would take you. I'd whack you in the front row because because see it's like Pavlov's dog, I just say dick and then you laugh for three minutes. So why wouldn't I Why wouldn't I Patrick, We appreciate you. Tell people how they can find.
Speaker 3: You websites noow dot com dot au and do message if you want us to talk about anything, if you'd like to offer some sort of sympathy note you know to Crago, particularly because we've been.
Speaker 1: So mean to him.
Speaker 3: You know, all tie cheer at home dot com, Dona because you might want to do some tie cheat with me on video for free.
Speaker 1: And now, Tiff, I just saw you turn off your mic because it looked like you were coughing up your esophagus. Yes, are you all right?
Speaker 2: I'm getting there. This is going to be a thing to shake. I think I just have a lingered us now. I don't know it's it's shape shifted every day. Last night I started to get like a saw had a sore throat. I just went straight to a complete loss of voice.
Speaker 1: That's the most funny comment of all time that I could say now, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to after we sign off.
Speaker 1: Yeah I will, I'll give it to you. Speaking of Scott, has he got it? Has he got it? Look?
Speaker 2: I am going to I reckon he might have given it to me. He had a bit of a bit of a cough before. But he hasn't gone through the full gamut of illness that I have. But I'm going to blame him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just strikes me as somewhat robust.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, he said he doesn't get sick just because it is to get sick.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's because when he was a paramedic but around it all. Yeah, yeah, he was around all that shit. Yeah. Well, I'll be over here in my little kind of incubator, my little thought incubator, with my bare feet and my carpet, my bamboo trees like a fucking loser. But anyway, all right.
Speaker 3: Lust side, you're not going to catch anything. You don't mix with anybody if you eat exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh yeah, I'm an island in the sea of humanity, just over here weeping in my breakfast. Anyway, enough of that, tifty, you want to see you put up your little for your half.
Speaker 2: Interesting Luke knows the sound of me wrapping up a podcast because she just scratched your little nails on the studio door and she only ever does that as on winding up a podcast. And it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I know. If you wonder who we're talking about, it's TIFF's daughter who has to scratch at the door. She also has a cat, but that's for another episode. You should feed that child honestly and the way that like you, I need to have a talk off air. Thanks everyone, Thanks mate. Bye,