Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. My ability to focus has dropped so significantly in the last decade or so, I cannot tell you. I get so distracted, but I also get this really foggy brain as well, so much so that now when I sit down to work on my computer, I actually have to use this platform called Tomato Timer, and it's this great platform. It's essentially just a timer and it uses what's called the Pomodoro method, and it's twenty five minutes of a focus block and then a five minute brain break. So for that twenty five minutes, my goal is do not pick up your phone, do not check your emails, do not get up and walk around. You just have to work on that one task. And I cannot tell you how hard that is for me to do, but I do it. And I set myself little daily goals of you know, trying to do ten focus blocks today, ten twenty five minute focus blocks. What was really interesting was a couple of weeks ago, I went to my mum's place for a writer's retreat because I'm just getting to the really pointy end of writing my book, and and so I thought, I'm going to leave Tim with the kids and I'm just going to go to mum's. And for three days all I did was woke up early, I wrote, did a little bit of exercise, and then I wrote, and my mom would bring me cups of tea and then she cooked me a lovely dinner. But just leave me alone. I cannot tell you how productive I was. I cannot tell you how these words just spilled out of my brain onto the pages. It was such a beautiful, meditative experience, and it just got me thinking that is it actually my pery menopausal brain that is the problem with my distraction and my fogginess, or after that experience at my mum's, is it maybe just my insanely full life that is the problem. This is healthy heer with Amelia Phillips. If you're a woman in midlife, in perimenopause or postmenopause, chances are you have experienced that foggy, distracted brain that makes you feel like you are slipping from the articulate, sharp woman you once were. It's certainly not a nice feeling, and I know that feeling so well, But I want you to know rest assured, we are not alone. This is so common, in fact, that many of the global surveys on perimenopause symptoms show the same results time and time again. The most common peri symptoms are not the hot flushes and the night sweats that we associate, but actually, in fact, the most common symptoms are brain fog, cognitive changes like poor memory or difficulty concentrating, along with low mood and sleep disturbances. So what is happening during this midlife transition that impacts so many of us destined to become the dottery versions of ourselves? Or is there some hope for us, some strategies for our brain health to get back to the sharp, witty, funny, vibrant women we know we are deep down well, to help fix our distracted, foggy brains, I have bought in the big guns today neuroscientist doctor Sarah Mackay. Doctor Sarah is not just a neuroscientist, but she is an educator who specializes in translating complex brain research into practical strategies that we can use every day so that we can improve our health, our mood, and our performance. She's the author of three books on brain health, the Women's Brain Book, which is all about the neuroscience of health, hormones, and happiness. She's also authored Baby Brain, which explores how pregnancy and motherhood shape the brain, and her latest book, Brain Health for Dummies Love that title, published earlier this year. Doctor Sarah was also recently on the Mel Robins podcast. She appears regularly on TV and in the media and has a fabulous Instagram page, which I'll pop a link for that in the show notes all about helping our female brains thrive, Doctor Sarah, thank you so much for joining me in studio in the Novas Studios.
Speaker 2: Today feels very professional, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: I know, look at us go very professionally here.
Speaker 2: We could have just met and had to walk along the beach in a chat. But here we are, I know, re recording our thoughts.
Speaker 1: No, this is all too important. I want to capture everything you tell us today. It's so so important. Now I have heard you say that the fifty year old brain is not the same as the twenty one year old brain, a bit like our bodies, not quite the same as we were in our twenties. But it's actually good news. You say that there are many cognitive abilities and skills that peak in midlife. So I'd love to know what are some of these peaks.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that post resonated because I am fifty one and my social media algorithms, which of course are then and turn influencing the conversation that people have in real life, all about how once we reach this age we become like these foggy, sweaty, useless tired, depressed, anxious, faff abouts, and it just felt like I was constantly being told that at this age I was, I might as well just give up and the rest of my life should be a dementia resk reduction project and I should just slap on loads of like hormone therapy. And I wanted to just talk about what we know about the brain, what we know about cognition, what we know about the trajectory across the life span, and not just put a positive spin on it, because it's not just about let's flip the script, but let's talk about what we do know about how our brains change across the lifespan. And it's not just the sort of decline from a peak at kind of age eighteen nineteen twenty, you know, perhaps if you went to UNI or those you know, kind of first few years outside of school to now, we're learning a whole lot more and getting more thoughtful, careful ways of studying the brain across the life span and looking at different types of cognitive tests and finding out there are actually lots of skills that we have that we can measure that peak at different points in the lifespan.
Speaker 1: So how do our brains improve in a way through midlife because I agree with you, Like, we have evolved to live beyond our reproductive years, so there's a reason why women survive evolutionarily from our reproductive years. So what is happening in our brains?
Speaker 3: That is good news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so much we can talk about brain fall. We can talk about sleep, anxiety, depression. Leave all of that aside. Let's just talk about what we do know, which is some of the upsides. So there are what we might call when we could call it wisdom, right, Like we've always talked about wisdom, which is just kind of having years of experience. So if you think about the career you're in, and I've been in the same career. I've did an undergraduate degree in neuroscience straight out of UNI, so I've been doing this for a very long time. I now have not in built pattern recognition, but I can look at a neuroscience study, I can hear someone talk about the brain. I can think about a neuroscience topic and get a very quick, almost intuitive sense about kind of what that is about. Because I've been doing neuroscience for so long, Like I kind of I know my staff, so we might call that kind of pattern recognition or intuition, which you develop when you've been in a career for a very, very very long time. You just kind of know your shit. You've been around, You've got this long career of kind of gathered up knowledge and wisdom. We tend to think about cognition as being kind of how quickly you can remember something, Can you remember someone's name, How quickly could you solve mental maths in your mind's eye. Those are some of the cognitive skills that might peak maybe in your twenties, but we then think that they're the only things that matter, not this kind of wisdom, knowledge, and experience that we've gathered over a lifespan. So there's this these two types. We sometimes call them like types of intelligences. Sometimes we call them like kind of crystallized intelligence and fluid intelligence. And fluid intelligence is kind of like the quick thinking that we might have in our youth. It might slow down slightly, but that does make way for our whole lot more of what we would call crystallized knowledge, which is kind of the information that we've gathered and learned and the knowledge that we've developed over our say, over our careers.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that our pattern recognition improves, and this crystallized intelligence, which is essentially the crystallized intelligence, is essentially the wisdom.
Speaker 2: That crystallized intelligence is kind of like knowledge. We've learned more because we've been alive longer, so we know more stuff. Right, We've also had more life experiences, so we can be Whilst we might not be in this kind of quick, sharp thinking, growing fast like bang bang bang kind of way that we are when we're in our twenties, when we are literally building, particularly when we're posting in a pausal, particularly when we're in later in midlife. Sure the processing may slow down slightly, but that gives us a little bit of time to let ideas bubble to the surface. Perhaps there is a genuine adaptive upside to slower thinking. We're not building because of ourselves or at the point when we can impart knowledge we've got that you picked up on that idea of pattern recognition.
Speaker 3: Explain that in the real world.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is in you know, in our postmenopausal brain, our patent recognition is often a lot better.
Speaker 2: But what does that Actually it's not just about menopause, like just aside making woman.
Speaker 3: You know everyday.
Speaker 2: When you have been working in a profession for a really long time, you're an expert versus a novice. When you start out, you don't know you're learning. When you have spent twenty thirty forty years learning information, you can kind of spot the signal from the noise. You can spot the red place, just kind of have an intuition about what's right, what's wrong, how to make decisions. You don't need to kind of labor through the kind of the processes as much anymore. There's also this other skill that we've started to understand a little bit more about and measure at lots of different ages, and we would call this cognitive flexibility. So this is the idea to be able to kind of pivot or shift or see shades of gray or look at a you know, look at a particular problem and think of multiple different ways to solve it, rather than being what we might be in our youth, very black and white thinker. There is one way to go about this. This is it, and I'm not going to like listen to anyone else's opinion or perhaps more set in our ways as we get older, So we almost see this kind of U shaped curve there, whereby at midlife, we're much more flexible in our thinking. We can kind of sit with because we're not in a rush and we're not so slow. Yeah, so we can kind of go, Okay, I'm just going to take my time to figure this out, and you know what, there could be like multiple shades of gray here. We can kind of take our time and be more flexible in our thinking. We're not so stuck in our ways, and we often see that in mid life people pivot in their careers. You know, you're talking to a teenager about like their belief system and you're like, dah, you've got like you've got years here you think that, or you know, perhaps someone who's much much older than us, we might think, oh, they're a bit more set in our ways. Midlife we can appreciate the shades of gray and the nuance and that comes from experience, but it also comes from this cognitive point and time that we're at. So again, there's remarkable things that can come from those deploying those skills and everyday life get we never talk about them because what we're busy valorizing and then perhaps grieving, you know, is that really super fast sharp thinking of our youth. But it may be that there's an evolutionary kind of mandate there whereby we're kind of building and growing and developing careers and families, and you know, our place in the world when we're young, so we need to be quick and sharp. But later on it's more about imparting that wisdom, and it's more about sitting back and kind of like looking across the life span, seeing the other people around us, and then taking on that kind of more matriarchal role which might be more still, which might be more kind of measured. Yeah, and then we can impart that kind of information on which you're not which kind of adapted to do when you're young, when you're building and thinking about yourself and making babies and building a career, that's all that matters is being quick and fast.
Speaker 1: I have heard you have put together a fantastic framework to really help us understand and just to put a little bit of structure around that for us everyday people. And you call it the bottoms up, outside in and top down. Can you just give us a quick overview of what you mean by these kind of this three three pronged framework.
Speaker 2: It puts the brain in the middle. And if anyone has any kind of healthy medically background, they would have heard of the BIA psychosocial model. But that sounds like really boring, Wow an academic, so by I love your bottom the bottom up. So a brain's sitting in the middle of like this complex ecosystem of your body, and your body is in this complex ecosystem of the world, and so your brain is receiving all of this information from your body. So it's receiving information from your ovary is about you know, your hormonal state, but it's also receiving information about body temperature and heart rate and the food. You Wait, you've got your kind of genetic background, You've got all of the things that you could do with your body. Your brain is getting this constant feed about and then your brain is constantly making meaning.
Speaker 1: Of that genetics.
Speaker 2: Everything from your genes to the food you've eaten, to your sleep, to your bone density, to your gut pH to you know, your muscle. You know you've got a full bladder, you've got a kicking baby, you've got a sore back. Think about all of the things in your body your brain is making.
Speaker 1: That's almost like the body stuff body a market.
Speaker 2: So just imagine information getting from your body.
Speaker 3: Body into your brain to your brain.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: Brain's going right, twenty million things to monitor, hear, and then we're the outside and will and that's the world around us is making its way into the brain. And it's not by magic. It comes in through our senses. So what we see, people think, how does it get in through what we see? Through what we hear. As humans, our sense of sight and hearing are really important. So the outside what we see a but if something's close enough to us, we can like smell it or taste it or touch.
Speaker 1: It, so that influences our brain.
Speaker 2: And that is everything from you and me having a conversation. Yeah, all of the social cognition.
Speaker 1: That brain is going crazy right now is I'm looking at you and interpreting what you're saying.
Speaker 2: That's outside the room we're and the rising and the setting of the sun, your social interactions and that includes and then you can kind of stagger it out a bit further. So we're looking at like your family structure, you know, the social structures you live in, your neighborhood, your socioeconomic kind of situation, the culture that you're in all of that outside in makes its way into your brain, and then your brain's making meaning of the context it's in, what it senses and also kind of getting the feed from your body. So it's kind of bringing those two together. But then, because we're humans, we've got this mind that's the top down. That's the top down, and that includes that the experiences that we've had, so all of our prior memories, you know, kind of our biographical past, everything that we've learned that. Our brain went, hey, that was awesome. I'm going to remember that and do it again.
Speaker 1: Don't time, don't touch the hot plate because we got burnt.
Speaker 3: Last home sucked.
Speaker 2: Never going to do that again, don't don't want to do that, going to stay.
Speaker 1: Away, leaf memory, belief havebit, cultural value, values, thoughts, thought, your thought patterns all worthy enough and those and.
Speaker 2: So each of these bottom up, outside and top down factors coalesce in the brain, and the brain kind of makes meaning of it all and goes, Okay, this is what we're going to do next. And what we do next could be sweat because you're hot, or it could be I don't know, run up and hug your mum because you haven't seen it for a while, or it could be I don't know, pick your phone up because it's ringing. But they can also influence each other. And this is where I think it gets really interesting. So you could think about, well, how does a thought influence my kind of physicality? So you could go, oh, well, I'm I've got like a really important exam coming up, and you're thinking about that, and then you get like an upset tummy, you get really a really nervous tummy. So your top down thoughts can influence your bottom up biology.
Speaker 1: Where's perimenopause is, where's the hormones? Is that bottom up? Because I would call hormones bottom up bottom up?
Speaker 2: So and the and the midlife brain where you've got like your bottom up hormones and they're roller coastering, but they're also roller coastering on an overall health baseline, you know your immune health, your gut health, how much exercise do you do, your cardiovascular health, how much sleep you're getting, what's your kind of stress response, like, what's your entire life history up to this point, what's your reproductive history, like, what's your mental health history? Like, what was your levels of education when you were you know, at school and then in a high school UNI, all of that will feed in you're looking at a menopausal brain. We're not just looking at a brain that's influenced by roller coastering ovarian hormones and then flatlining later.
Speaker 3: We're looking at a brain three structure, a brain.
Speaker 2: That's making meaning of its biology. A brain that's making meaning of the context that you're in and the messages that you're receiving, particularly what you're absorbing from the social media feed and your entire life history up until this point.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottyasmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed, insulin resistant or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out.
Speaker 3: The show notes for more.
Speaker 1: I mean, what I find so fascinating about this, and it's such a big unlock, is that when we think about perimenopause and our brain. You know, the messaging out there at the moment is so much about hormones and decline. But when you use your framework of those three big inputs, you realize that hormones are just one part of a very complex puzzle. So when we come to the solutions, because we don't want to feel distractive, we don't want to feel foggy in the brain, it has to be more holistic. And this is where I want to shift gears and talk about solutions because we're here today because you know, I don't want to feel foggy. I don't want to feel distracted from your perspective looking at brain health.
Speaker 3: How do we tackle this? Where do we start?
Speaker 1: If we do, do you feel like there has been some kind of decline or should I say increase in those symptoms?
Speaker 2: And for many women. It can be something as small as my something which lasted for it. It was kind of like a few weeks and I paid attention to it, and then I decided I'm not going to be a brain foggy person, so I just kind of went away. Was I don't even know whether it was real or not. This is the thing, was I was switching words that were really closely semantically related.
Speaker 3: So I might say, oh, like.
Speaker 2: My son walked in and I said, oh, listen, new that's a new lid, I mean hat, yeah, Or I'd call a dog a cash or whatever. So it was very similar.
Speaker 1: I call my kids all the wrong names. I go through everybody, including the dogs, all of that.
Speaker 2: What I find as often another way to kind of think about this, just before we get onto the solutions is maybe this is a solution is as you're a little momentary slip and a social situation. So it's in a conversation where I'm like, oh, what was that person's name? And then I'm getting really embarrassed because I'm going merely mustn't brain fog and I'm like washed up and you useless, and so I'm starting to like get all embarrassed and ashamed, whereas if you were at home, you went, oh, what was that person's name? And then it comes to you, but you're still by yourself, so you haven't got that same social kind.
Speaker 3: Of pressure like panic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then so probably takes mental load away from thinking exactly.
Speaker 2: So also we can catastrophize all of this if we understand it, then we don't need to, you know, turn mid life into this like kind of the beginning of the very end sort of say, there's one thing, if there was one thing, it would be sleep. We've got to start with our bottom up body. Yes, so through the three bottom up sleep has to be absolutely foundational and number one because that's kind of the if there was a chicken and egg scenario. I don't know if there was a dominoes. Yeah. The first dominoes the sleep, sleep, which is probably and if you're in midlife and it is being caused by rollercoastering hormones and you want to try HRT like have a crack.
Speaker 1: Right, you've got this concept of can't sleep versus won't sleep, which I had a sleep expert that I interviewed once, and I love this concept of at least putting them in two buckets you got can't sleep?
Speaker 3: Won't sleep?
Speaker 1: So can't sleep is all the things that you don't have control over, such as you're just waking up at three am doomers you don't know why, but then there won't sleep, which I have to put my hand up and say, I've got lots of things in this bucket, staying up to binge, watch that extra episode when I should have gone to bed early, doom scrolling before bed, eating something, you know, large meal, spicy meal, drinking alcohol. So I think, Okay, if you've got a whole bunch of can't sleep issues going on, that's to be dealt with.
Speaker 2: If some of that's medical, right, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, actually treat that in a medical way.
Speaker 3: But what about your won't.
Speaker 2: Sleep well, I mean they all fall under that kind of umbrella of sleep hygiene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so basic, I know.
Speaker 2: And like if you went to your GP, they're not going to just give you a sleeping piler, going to go, hey, let's take it. Let's look at are you you know, are you in the cool dark room? You're not looking at your phone?
Speaker 1: And those things do actually make a difference. Unfortunately, be boring, but they really do.
Speaker 2: They really do. There's nothing new under the sun. Kind of there.
Speaker 3: Okay, so's sleep.
Speaker 2: Okay, second, well, and I don't want to rank them because because we're all going to be coming from a different place. Diet, I just die, it's really boring. I don't really like talking about food.
Speaker 1: I'm a nutritionist. How dare you? I know?
Speaker 2: But you can't like no, I know, we know the thing just you know, don't drink coffee, Like coffee is really good for your brain health, drink three cups a day to drink them in the morning. Don't drink three cups for dinner. You know, don't drink too much alcohol. But honestly, if you we know all that, if you want to have a glass of read wine with you with your girlfriends at book club and like hoote with laughter, it's probably not doing it too much. Just don't like drink a bottle of wine every night. I'm not going to talk about diet because I just think we kind of have we know it. Don't eat crap. The other is exercise, and for a long time, the link between exercise, which you have a kind of exercise you're going to do. I'm not saying you should be doing CrossFit, you should of course we should be lifting weights. Of course we should be doing audiovascular you know, getting our heart rate up. I'm not like, the best to exercise is the one that you enjoy doing, and you're going to keep on dealing disistently. But for a while we weren't necessarily sure of the link, and now we understand, well, there's the obvious links of better cardiovascular fitness is good for your heart, but your vascular system is pretty important because your brain is feed by this really fine network of micro vessels. This is microvascular tour and your brain. So you want to keep your blood vessels healthy.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good for metabolic health, it's good for immune health, it's good for stress reduction. So there's all of those kind of knock on impacts to physical health. But we've also learned, perhaps in like the last five to ten years, that there are now hormonal or molecular signals that go from our muscles up to our brain to promote brain health. Because we were like, why if someone has really strong lenk muscles as that lead to good cognitive health, that kind of the relationship there, And we've discovered this group of molecules called myo kinds which are released from muscles when we exercise them. They can cross the blood brain barrier, go into our brain, and they can promote brain health by kicking off lots of different kind of you know, chemical pathways inside neurons to make them healthy. Yeah, so for a while we were like, oh, maybe having being physically fit is good for your heart, and that's what it's good for your brain. Now we know that there's a direct messenger.
Speaker 1: Clearly that's why I get all my good ideas when I'm exercising.
Speaker 2: Yep, totally, and probably because you're reducing other distractions. So there's three three bottom up. And then of course there's you know, if you're you know you're going through perimenopause, menopause, you want to try hormones, you know.
Speaker 1: To smooth out the snow fluctuation.
Speaker 2: Although there's a bit of a debate about if your rollercoastering levels of estrogen, you put more estrogen on top just makes the highs higher and the lows higher and you've still got the delta is the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that means that's debatable.
Speaker 2: There's lots of arguments around whether it's smoothing it out or whether it's topping it up. And I mean I could talk endlessly about all all of that as well, but that's like a pretty good way to deal with your biological base on your bottom up, particularly if sleep is being disrupted because of thermal regulation issues.
Speaker 1: What about the outside in? And this is where I actually think a lot of my cognition issues is actually because.
Speaker 3: Of my outside in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your cognitive load.
Speaker 1: I think because I realized when I stayed at Mom's and I cleared the decks, my brain works really.
Speaker 3: Don't have perimenopause anymore. I know.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like driving a Porsche that's been pulling a three ton trailer and then you drop the trailer and the Porsche.
Speaker 3: Just took off. You were being mothered, and I was in my little Your mom, your.
Speaker 2: Mum was mothering. Your mothers need to be mothers, I know it was so you mothers had much. They need to be mothers.
Speaker 3: I know so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we wouldn't have baby brain if we were we were mothers. So I thank yeah outside and reduce the cognitive load. Mobile phones are this massive thing we talked about how impacts your working memory, which is going to be the driver of other cognitions building.
Speaker 1: I literally need to take it out of my office. I need to sit it in another room. I need to turn it physically off, not silent mode. I need to actually power it down and leave it out.
Speaker 2: Of it in your school bag or your locker, like the kids have to do a high school not having it. Don't just think having it down face down is going to do anything. You will constantly the train that comes from trying not to look at it is enormous. Or what I have started doing because I was I like a lover a podcast. Here we are on one which I'm just always had them streaming in my ears, and then my teenage boys kind of about a year ago, because I'll call out anything, We're like, well, we already had this conversation, or you already asked me that, or they kept I kept repeating conversations with them, and then I realized I would have a conversation with them straight away. I'd go back straight to the podcast. I was in the car, I was on a podcast. I was always plugged in, so I was taking in a lot of information from the pods, from your un from the boys, and then consolid and then like kind of turning over those conversations in my mind or giving them time to kind of percolate, which is what we need to do. I was I was almost like I was multitasking. I was like, oh, yeah, paid attention, but it wasn't going in.
Speaker 3: Wasn't sticking.
Speaker 2: So I start I decided to stop listening to any I was just like driving the car, as they say, the kids say, a.
Speaker 3: Raw dog draw dogging it just don't even.
Speaker 2: Have the radion. Just drove the car around. And actually I found that it meant that I just thought through things a bit more and I feel like it totally improved my interactions with them because I had more memories of those interactions. There's another idea like go back to the old fashioned plug your phone and treat it as a widened phone in the wall that we had when we were kids. Plug it in the kitchen, turn it up. If it rings, you can go over it. Don't unplug it ever, just treat it as a plugged and.
Speaker 1: Okay, So your big tip for outside in for those of us that are feeling distracted brain foggy, is to really manage that phone and that screen time effectively.
Speaker 2: And we talk about it with kids, and we don't think about our for ourselves. Yeah, so there's that, and then I think the other outside and things would be we are blessed where we live INNY. We live basically live in a blue zone or global blue zone, and all the beaches of Sydney, right, so, I know, you know, we've got we've got the ocean, we've got the bush land, we've got the healthy people running around. We're in this environment which nudges and promotes and prompts us towards this healthy outdoors lifestyle. But lots of people don't have that, They don't have access to that, they don't have the information about that, or they know all of that, and it's still like not accessible to them. So to understand how the built environment impacts not just how you go about your day, but the ease at which you can live that kind of healthy.
Speaker 1: Calling out in your particular environment, calling out the potential red flag. Like, for example, you know, I have to drive everywhere because I live in an area that has you know, not a lot of walking. So therefore I need to find an antidote to that. Yeah, I do need to do structured walk or I drive past three drive through red rooms macs, KFCs, and so I'm very tempted. So I have to be a lot more diligent with you know, my food choices.
Speaker 3: Is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: And like having blue spaces and green spaces where you can kind of interact with nature, because that's kind of what we are. A bit of a roll around in the grass kind of.
Speaker 3: Oh it doesn't sort of doesn't.
Speaker 1: It just make you feel so much better when you've spent some time in nature. I call it either green exercise or you exercises out. But it's very easy for us as Northern Beaches girls.
Speaker 2: I sort of petificate about that the other outside and influence, which is enormously important as other people. When I wrote Women's Brain Book, the first book that I wrote, I thought, as I went through the lifespan, you know, like childhood, puberty, menstrual cycle, menopause, la la la, that the strongest influence would always come back to hormones. I don't know why I win, I'm with that as the thought, but what I found for every age in life stage that the strongest influence of health outcome is your social relationships. How well connected you are, you buy because you've got mothers, Look how much difference that made when someone was othering you, not that you were being like you were constantly mothering other people and looking after other people.
Speaker 1: But so that does that make you feel knowing that our society is moving away from that and into a much more digitously interactive environment, even to the point of when I go to a cafe now most of my cafes have gone to QR coade so used the QR. I know, it's one of my pet peeves. I hate those.
Speaker 2: We can see what the artcomes are, we can see what the art comes after that from that lack of social contact.
Speaker 1: And that is your hypothesis that that is quite detrimental to absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of the greatest risk factors for depression, one of the greatest risk factors for overall mortality, littlone, demitiro Alzheimer's diseases, social isolation, and loneliness. So loneliness is the emotional perception of being alone and feeling you haven't got people there. You can have been surrounded by people but feel lonely.
Speaker 1: Yes, some of the busiest cities in the world. You hear about people living in New York City, London but feeling the loneliest of the NFL.
Speaker 2: And then there's kind of socialized sol whereby you know, perhaps you you know you're olderly and you need someone to drive you to the doctor's appointment, or you know, there's the kind of the mechanics or the day to day ability to go about doing what you need to do if you've got other people to help you or not. And we would say that with a newborn baby, you know, you could like just feed them, change them, sleep them, and they would live. But they need love and attention and attachment. And I think for every age needs that. Teenagers need it, Your moms need it. You needed it from your mom.
Speaker 1: And I think that each age group has its set of challenges around that. And so thinking about a woman in midlife who is in that squeeze generation where she's got young children, she's got aging parents, and often life is so busy. I know for me, I can isolate myself because I just don't have the energy to go out with the girls. But then what I've done around that is I've kind of baked in socialization into my schedule. So I choose to do group fitness, and I've got a fantastic, amazing tribe at my at CrossFit, And then I'd choose to have a group of friends that love to go for walks together. And so we're kind of all in a business mastermind together, but a lot of us will break away and go off on walks together. So you're kind of baking that social into your lifestyle because you might not have the time, you know, all day on Sunday to just go and have a lovely long lunch for example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sometimes it doesn't need to be. You know, a group of girlfriends at my book club, we used to call ourselves a walking book club. We used to walk together. Now we just drink and talk about real estate. Again, we went through a lot of phase. But I'm in like a musical theater group. I go to watercolor classes, I try, I swim. I'd try and do as many different interactive social activities as I can because I work for myself at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which was hard.
Speaker 2: When my boys were little. My kind of social outlet was the school was school pick up and drop off, which I also loved. Oh, Like, you know, I'm a bit of a yapper, so I would love to like just whoever a zero.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But if you're an introvert, the school pick up the last thing. Do you sit in the car and you don't want to go in?
Speaker 2: But again, it's not about so that's the thing. It's not about how many social connections you have. It's about feeling like, you know, there is someone that you can call, you've got a shoulder to lean on. Who is the person that if you're you've got a flat tire in the middle of the night, who are you going to have? You got quantity and sometimes someone people don't don't have someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh a lot of the time, especially in the world where people are moving quite regularly, Yeah, suddenly shifting cities and starting from scratch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So loneliness is a real riskpective for health and it's something that we have agency over. But it feels really sad even talking about people being lonely.
Speaker 1: COVID it's a big one. So that's outsiding. Yeah, before we move on to top down, is there anything else in the outside in when you think about improving our distraction brain fog that we can really be focusing on to support our brains.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think social media has become an active ingredient and health outcomes, and we've got in a negative way you meet and positive ways and negative ways. I think we need to be mindful about where we get information from, which is announced. You know, how are we educating ourselves about whatever menopause about? You know, what are the sources of information? Because you know, our attention is limited. There's a ton of information about everything out there in the world. So how can you kind of be thoughtful and diligent about what information you've taken and what you filter out because that will have an impact on health outcomes. We can vary and I'm not wanting to get into placebo and no cebo e affixed, but you can talk yourself into a set of symptoms you can really believe wholeheartedly. And this isn't about menopause or any particular point in the lifespan, but can influence a health outcome by the information that you've taken on board. So just to be thoughtful about that and not just sitting on the feed. We're like too old for that shit, right, We've got to stop to stop that.
Speaker 1: Outside in I am hearing the those phones need to be well away. Okay, We've got to make sure that we're doubling down on our social connection, whether it's quality over quantity, and then also really filtering and being clear about where we're getting our education from, because as you say, you know what you receive, you can believe and you've got to be careful about that. What about the top down?
Speaker 2: So this could be we could talk I mean, there's a lot of different things in here, I suppose if we're to talk about kind of more like the psychology of the brain and thinking about things like our mental health. So where are you kind of at with that? And if you've ever had an episode of depression or anxiety, that's managing that. That's a strong respect for having that again, and particularly women in midlife. But if you were like so, you were that girl who perhaps went through puberty and found you know, you found your teenage years really difficult, you were more vulnerable to getting PMS, you were perhaps more vulnerable to post antal depression. You know, there's a bit of a there's a bit of a kind of a passion emerging there. And we do think that there's a subset of women going through these reproductive phases of life whereby it's not like your hormones are higher or lower, it's just that you've got some sort of sensitivity within your body and brain which makes you react to that. So just kind of think about your mental health history and kind of be on the alert because the kind of the quicker that you can intervene or be aware of that, And there's so much help ab out there. I think we don't have to kind of grind through like our mother's generation did, worry worrying and being anxious. So I kind of put psychology and managing your psychology and your mental health and that top down, and then we could talk about mindset is a little bit kind of like about the kind of information you absorb and what you pay like your attention, like where you kind of focus your attention and what you kind of think about. And you know that we've kind of like some of the outside and a top down Ye kind of kind of meet in the middle there. When I'm thinking about what the brain's doing, it's just making meaning of a situation that we're in and going, well, that was great, I'm doing it again. That sucked. You don't want to do it again. Sometimes we find ourselves really lacking in motivation to do something that we know we should, and often.
Speaker 3: Meantime that's my whole. That's the work that change.
Speaker 2: And so behavior change and motivation. It's hard to want to do things when you're not motivated, and behavioral activation you would be familiar with that. The motivation will come from doing the thing. Sometimes, if we think about what is our brain doing when it's when it's encountered a situation it didn't like, you get kind of like a dopamine neurons are always kind of firing. There's this kind of baseline rate, like a tapping of a drum, okay, and you want to baseline firing rate because then you can go faster and you can go slower. So what we see with dopamine neurons are not just about I liked that, I want to do that again, liking things and motivation. They're signaling learning. They also sign a signaling that kind of sucked last time, and they're kind of lower their firing rate, and that means the next time you encounter that situation, you're kind of like, oh, you've kind of got that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So for in the real world, say you drum up the courage and motivation to go to that group fitness class and then you really don't enjoy it and it sucks, and it sucks and you.
Speaker 3: Hurt, and the people were rude.
Speaker 2: And you felt environ felt useless, and then your brain is just getting this like so, so the anticipation was not you didn't It wasn't the great thing you thought it was going to be. It's like, you know how like kids get really excited about their birthdays and they have a party in there in their room, crying because it's just every parent has had been there, and so they just get this big kind of like disappointment dip, which is their dopamine kind of signaling that sucked. I thought it was going to be great. So it's like that kind of the anticipation of the thing wasn't met. And so then the next time you're in that situation, you just remember how you felt the previous time. It's not that you somehow lack motivation in your never going to be able to exercise.
Speaker 3: Something wrong with you, I'm lazy.
Speaker 2: Your brain went that sucked last time, I don't I'm not going to do it again. So it's kind of benefit ratio if you kind of understand that that's just like a feeling, and I suppose we could call it that's an emotion it will pass. It's a bit like when you crave to do something that you know you should't. Perhaps you're trying to give up too much wine at night, or you're trying to give up smoking. You know, you get that crave wave and they say, you know, you're just kind of going to ride the grave wave because it'll come and then it'll go, and then you'll stop wanting the thing. It's a little bit like you the disappointment, that feeling of I don't really want to do this, but I'm going to do it anyway. That feeling will subside. So it's about repeating the you know, that kind of experience a few times and it might be a bit more enjoyable. There's a lot of neuroscience that have glossed over here, but these emotions in our brain are just that. They're just an emotion. It's just neurons firing off, and I can.
Speaker 1: Make a bigger meaning of it that then might actually negatively impact your behavior change in the future.
Speaker 2: Draw it down, write it out, and sometimes that can externalize this process that you've kind of absorbed and thought that this is who I am. You've made it your identity. I do it like exercise, just write down that this is what the brain is doing, and then you can kind of set it aside from you. It's outside of you then and that kind of puts a bit of a distance between you and this thing that's happened in your mind. And then kind of just have a crack, like don't just do it anyway? Yeah, you know, I think what does Mail Robinson count to ten or five or something? You know, there's life, You've just behavioral activation techniques. So there's understanding that. And actually the most efficient way for behavior change is about developing, you know, a behavior into a habit.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you've got to repeat it.
Speaker 2: You've got to like do it quite a few times, and it has to be pretty. You've got to like really get there and really want to do it for it to become something that you're doing out motivation, because motivation's fickle. Yes, you don't want it. You don't want to rely on that fear of motivation. Like you want to write a whole book, right, you don't sit down. You don't sit down and wait for like motivation to head.
Speaker 3: You just get sing you to start writing.
Speaker 1: And I always say to my listeners, who are really stuck on a behavior that hasn't quite made it into the habitual bucket. If you just retrospectively look back on your life and the behaviors that you some of the habits that you have, the healthy habits you have now that you probably didn't have in your twenties or thirties, you realize that actually you can change these behaviors and turn them into habits, even if some of them felt stubborn, Like for example, I used to be addicted to dessert every night, and back then there was no concept that this was something I could give up it, which just I tried and I failed, and here I am Now I've been able to overcome it, and so my healthy habit of not having dessert is now feel so easy and I can't believe I struggled so much.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it's understanding, like you wanted to dessert, So were you going to remove the dessert from your house so you couldn't see anymore? Or are you're going to place something and it's you know, when you wanted the dessert, what you're going to do instead? Yeah, exactly, So that cycle will kind of be there. It's hard to lose that. It's a little bit like you've learned to ride a bike, you can't.
Speaker 3: Just forget how to know exactly how to do that.
Speaker 2: And there's another technique which will just be super quick about how you could perhaps create an experience that you may have never had or that you want to make it more desirable as to use visualization or mental rehearsal. Like how athletes do they You know, they rehearse the gym routine. You can see the gymnasts at the Olympics doing that. You can see, you know, some guys can a penalty in a rugby game. You can see them visualizing the ball. You can visualize an action or a behavior, but you can also visualize your emotional response to a particular situation. I learned to do this when I was I gave a ted talk like twelve years ago or something now. I visualized before I went on stage, standing on stage and walking off the stage, my emotional response, how is I wasn't going to feel overwhelmed with nerves. I was going to feel happy and confident and proud. I was going to enjoy that talk. And then when I walked off stage, I wasn't going to feel relief. I was going to feel like gratefulness, and I rehearse the emotions.
Speaker 1: Oh and love that.
Speaker 2: So you can rehearse an emotional response to a situation and advance, not just some kind of athletic performance. You can rehearse the emotion. And what that does is it kind of makes it a bit more automatic. And that's going to free up your cognitive capacity to react and respond to whatever's happening right in front of you. So I memorized my ted talk. I also memorize my emotional responses so that all rolled out, and that means I could just be in the moment. I wasn't managing my emotions. I wasn't remembering the talk. I could just be there and do the thing. And I don't think that we realized that our mind is capable of that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's where that wisdom comes in for midlife. Look, we have covered so much. This has been so so fascinating, and I love how you've taken us through a much more holistic approach to our brain fog. You know, I wasn't sure if you were going to come in here and just you know, have this like one solution to our distraction or our brain fog. But I think you've described it so beautifully in this framework where it's it's so many factors that into play that lead us to, you know, feeling the way that we do. So I want to, I guess wrap up with one final question for a woman listening who really does feel like her brain fog is impacting her quality of life. Over everything we've spoken about today, what is the one thing you feel she could go and do today to take a step in the right direction to support her brain health.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're genuinely concerned, go to see your GP and talk to your GP about that, because there are screens that you can do. You know, we have breast screen, we have bowel screen, there are screens that you could do for cognition. If you're concerned about your memory and your attention, and if your GP then's like, hey, you know, perhaps we should get this checked out. Then you could be referred on. That's like perhaps not the quick student, I mean the answer you're looking for, But we can ask for help when it comes to how our brains are functioning. And more often than not, maybe it might just be it's disrupted sleep, not enough exercise, terrible food. But if there's a genuine concern, then you know you can be referred on to. You know, we've got memory clinics where you know, all of these you know, concerns and worries can be assisted properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think in my situation to my story, at the start my unlock today has really been about that outside in and also at the start of our conversation when you spoke about all the positive changes that our brain makes. I'm going to double down and focus on those, and I'm just going to give myself a bit of a break to say, hey, I have got a tsunami of cognitive load coming in. So that's why I forget where I put my keys.
Speaker 2: I did this post the other day that went viral about the ages of the Astronauts and the Artemis.
Speaker 3: Oh especially that went.
Speaker 2: Around the Missus most forty seven, forty nine, fifty and fifty Yeah, no twenty year olds on the Artemis performers. They were like the best humans ever. They were funny, they were humble, they were smart. People were calling out competence pawn. One of them was a woman. She wasn't up there like faffing about worrying about hot flash. She was just doing a shit and we need more midlife kind of heroes like that, where we see people doing great things. I understand that we need to be helping people with feeling terrible and there's symptoms, etc. But there's also like, there's so many great things to come still.
Speaker 1: Cognitive flexibility, pattern recognition, crystallize intelligence, emotional stability, emotional look at us.
Speaker 3: Go, doctor Sarah, Thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 2: You're so welcome.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doct Esmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients, because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more