Speaker 1: My first action as Premier, we will be to call a Royal Commission into the construction sector.
Speaker 2: Vitroia's new Premier, Ben Carroll has announced a Royal Commission into the state's building industry.
Speaker 1: We will also immediately establish a special prosecutor that we'll work in parallel with the Royal Commission.
Speaker 2: If allows years of reporting exposing our less corruption, organized crime links and misconduct within the sector, and years of resistance from the government and former Premier to Cintereallo, the Commission now has the potential to examine what happened and he knew about it, forcing powerful figures and politics, business unions and the underworld do answer questions under oath and in public. I'm Daniel James, and you're listening to seven a year Today investigative reporter for the Age, Nick McKenzie on what the Rule Commission must uncover and the big names who could be called to testify. It's Friday, July thirty one. Nick, good to see you again. Over many years of painstaking investigative journalism, you've exposed big bill corruption throughout it all, you've maintained the pressure for a Royal Commission, which just in that Alan famously or infamously resisted, how are you feeling this week? Do you feel like you're somehow responsible for Allan's demise? Given it's widely accepted that this issue was a big part of what resulted in her losing the leadership, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's unquestionable that journalism played a massive part in exposing not just to the public, so the body of politic what was going on on these government projects and labor government projects. And there was so much wrongdoing and so much reporting of her wrongdoing. It was inescapable and the premier and the former premier now to see to Allen quite famously or infamously said you'd tough it out that now.
Speaker 4: Will you call a royal commission?
Speaker 2: Will you hunt down the money that tax players.
Speaker 4: May have lost to organize Royan?
Speaker 1: As I said earlier on that claim, the administrator says that claim is not well tested, or.
Speaker 3: The administrator the story after story after story, it just kept building up, and it got to the point where her failure to act appropriately in the early days meant it really was inevitable that there had to be a royal commission. I mean, the time had passed for about the other responsive so entrenched was her refusal to call a proper inquiry, and so significant was the amount of evidence suggesting that the wrongdoing is systemic and entrenched.
Speaker 2: Perhaps the very first utterance from the new Victorian Premier, Ben Carroll was the announcement of overall commission into the Big Bill Corruption. What do we know so far about any of the details around.
Speaker 3: That, Well, nothing really except that the new Premier has promised this role. Commission will look under every rock that needs to be looked under. So look at the politicians, look at the union officials, look at the gangsters, look at the companies.
Speaker 4: There's lots of players here.
Speaker 3: Look at the regulatory and policing agencies which previously failed to do a good job or the job required. But I mean that's just rhetoric at the moment. We want to see what the terms of reference are when they're released. We need to see who the Royal Commissioner or commissioners are or is. They need to be independent and needs to be appropriately empowered so to have the power of tap bones, have the power to call coersive hearings where gangland figures like mickad I have to come and answer questions.
Speaker 4: They need to be appropriately resourced.
Speaker 3: The Commission needs to have teams, investigators, analysts, etc.
Speaker 4: Ing the digging.
Speaker 3: There's no point having a Royal Commission because it doesn't have the capacity to properly investigate. So the devil will be in the detail, excusing cliche and we yet to find out what that detail looks like.
Speaker 2: There's so much to this story which you've untangled over many years. What are the main issues you think need to be covered and questions that need to be answered by Overyal Commission?
Speaker 4: Well, boiler right down.
Speaker 3: Basically what happened was the Labor government and the Premier Jacinthra Allen bestowed just immense power on a very lawless entity in the form of the Victorian branch that the see for me, the Construction Union at the very time it was in bed with the gang land, with bike clubs, with figures like Mikado, and that power unable to see for me you and its gang land mates to become gatekeepers on the big bill, to take over parts of mega projects, to put their mates on projects. We had Biki gang members running a markets union officials. We had subcontracting firms owned by gangland figures getting the sweet deals on these mega projects. We had labor high companies in bed because they see for me you sometimes in bed with gangland figures, win contracts, turning over literally billions of dollars.
Speaker 4: And this was only possible because the labor.
Speaker 3: Government gave the see for me the big green light to do what it please on these tax co funded projects.
Speaker 4: So that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Who's responsible, well, the politician had to give back green light to thinker Allen either gave the greend light wittingly recklessly by not stopping it when there was a kill.
Speaker 4: Daniel Andrews had.
Speaker 3: Prying there before her must have known something about this, and if he didn't, his negligent. The public servants enter into the politicians, what did they know? We know they tried to raise the alarm and were we suspect ignored? But did they try hard enough? With the acting with fear without fail. They're doing their job as public servants. And then all the way down the companies that profited the union officials have filled their pockets or got their mates sweet jobs. Coruptly, the law enforcement agencies that are now acting and doing a good job that clevisseeed, we're not why did they turn their blind eye said, there's a lot to unravel here and the All Commissions too workplace to do it.
Speaker 2: Some oral commissions are more successful than others, often due to the powers and escape given to them, and give him to the commissioner. Do you have faith that Ben Carroll will do what's needed so that this for All Commission truly gets to the bottom or what's been going on in the building sector? Or is there a risk that the new premiere and the government are using this for Royal Commission as a way of controlling the narrative around this scandal.
Speaker 3: I don't want to sound through cynical, but I don't think any Australian would have faith at any politician.
Speaker 4: We'll judge them on their actions at the moment.
Speaker 3: We yet to see what Ben Carol puts into place, and he'll be judged on his actions. The temptation will be a political cover up in the guise of a commission, but I think if he does that, the public and the media anyone watching them will be able to see what's going on.
Speaker 4: So I think the good news is the elections four months away.
Speaker 3: If he tries to do a shifting, it's going to be readily apparent. And voters are going to remember it. So the pressure is on for this Commission of Inquiry, this Royal Commission, to have all the.
Speaker 4: Powers in these to be run by someone who's not in.
Speaker 3: Our labor party stood or a union buster on the right, the sort of cursing we might take a coalition put in place if it wins power. We need an aid political independent corruption who's going to go all the way.
Speaker 4: And if we don't get that, the media will keep during.
Speaker 3: What we've been doing pretty successfully today, it's exposing this bess relentlessly, thoroughly, exhaustively until the right outcome is reached.
Speaker 2: Have you created a little shortlist for yourself, Nick, as to who you would like to see as the commissioner.
Speaker 3: I think it's dangerous for journalists to start doing those sorts of things. It's the job of the government to do that. It's our job to hold them to account. I know what sort of commission I'd like, Tony Fitzgerald of the famous Fitzgerald and Quarry in the eighties and Queensland which brought the BLK Peterson government and the corupt police force to heal. I think we need a corruption buster like Tony Fitzgerald, So lots sort of a bloke, was he He was a political, he was feelings, he was determined, he wasn't scared and he wasn't doing anyone any failures, be they senior police or the ministers of the day. So we need the same sort of person to be running the showdown in Victoria or else we'll get a perpetuation of the cover up we've seen in place for two years.
Speaker 2: Coming up, the big name politicians and gangsters who could be called to testify. Let's talk about who can be brought forward before the Royal Commission. Would you like to see Jenta Allenon testify and what questions would you like to see her answer?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's the question of what I like to see her. I think it's the detroiting public must see her question. Because she was the Transport Infrastructure Minister when all this rot on her projects happened.
Speaker 4: She was happy to cut the records and take the political points to doing so.
Speaker 3: But beneath the surface, this corruption was broiling them, becoming under control, and ultimately she's got.
Speaker 4: To take the stand.
Speaker 3: The Premier prior to her, Daniel Landryge is also responsible ifs not directly just by the words miss the system of accountability and responsibility. If the Premier de Cindra Land now the former premiere, if she did not know as minister what was going on on her projects, then she's failed in the ministerial duties. If she knew I didn't act, then she's also failed. But she's going to be put to the test. Those questions need to be put to her. The evidence about what she knew I didn't it needs to be uncovered and presented. But also taking a stand needs to be people like John Seedga in charge of the union when at ran a mark he put in place of culture that's for me, you where the law was irrelevant and unionists could act with impunity. We need other union officials who are running out of control also grilled, interrogated.
Speaker 4: We need the gang Land figures.
Speaker 3: We need me Ghatto on the stand and his dangload mates about how they were profiting from the Big Build and other major construction projects. We need Bicky Bosses investigator. We had the cops up there. You know, the police in Victoria had done a very good job over the last thirty months, but they're utterly missing in action.
Speaker 4: Before.
Speaker 3: So while weren't the police doing that job while was in work state? How health and safety regulations on workplaces? While was it allowing gang land figures biking to be in charge of health and safety on these major government sites. Really an extraordinary situation that was allowed to take hold. So worksape needs to habits people up on them on the stand. There's many peoples. I forget those company bosses that have profited and massively flow the big build These are companies that sometimes employed well known members of outline motorcycle games.
Speaker 4: Why'd they do that?
Speaker 3: Because they knew they keep digging it on side, the money would keep flying to their coffers.
Speaker 4: They have to be held to account as well.
Speaker 2: Even covered so much. But do you think that there's more to this story? Could there be more bombshells to come out through a raw commission.
Speaker 3: I've got no doubt the media at it first gets twenty percent of the picture. You know, this corruption scandal lies in the heads of gangland figures who profited.
Speaker 4: It lies in the filing cabinets in government.
Speaker 3: It lies in the secret briefing notes, cabinet briefing notes that were sent to just interall them.
Speaker 4: And she was Premier and Francesport Minister. It lies in bank accounts that we can ever access.
Speaker 3: It lies on phone taps, the conversations of crooks that have no doubt they been captured in other investigations, but which will relate to this sort of activity.
Speaker 4: There's a lot there that will yet to find out about it.
Speaker 3: And I think every Victoria, in every Australian which has been paying for these projects feeding this corruption, preserves to know what's really going on.
Speaker 2: And what can a good raw commission to do that the fourth estate and journalists can't well.
Speaker 3: I think we've seen people like extrain examples, both just Into other Than and Mick Gatto have made an art form of avoiding questions and coming up with slippery answers.
Speaker 4: And a raw commission puts someone in the box.
Speaker 3: They are under oath, they have to answer questions, they can't confuse, and they can be presented with the evidence. The law commission horrify, digs up. And what can a commission do given those powers? It can find the truth. It can hold the allegedly cups who account. It can clear people as well. If Justinto Allen has a good story to telling, it absolves that are wrongdoing, and I doubt it will be the case, but if it does, then so be it. The evidence will come out, it'll be tested, and we'll find out really who it was that has profited him properly and who it was that has not done their job as a politician to protect the public interest, to protect taxpayer fine.
Speaker 2: And finally, Nick Jeffrey Watson, who was tasked with reporting on c ifm AU operations under John Sector, says they should build a statue of you because of the reporting you've done on this. Well, what do you reckon about that? Do we need a big bronze Nick mackenzie statue? Does that appeal to you? Would you melt down some of your walkleys and use that to build it so it'll be as say, as large as the Statue of Liberty.
Speaker 3: And this is the last thing Victoria needs is another statue of some one of the halfway.
Speaker 4: No, thank you. Let's spend that money. Let's get the best detectives in.
Speaker 3: Their state digging up stuff for our Let's make sure this law commission works.
Speaker 4: The journalism played a role, and I'm proud of the role I played.
Speaker 3: But I only play my role because brave people especially brave unionists, call them out people in the sea. For me, you who never took a backward step. He said, you know what, I don't want my union getting taken over by Mick Atter.
Speaker 4: I don't want my union.
Speaker 3: Getting taken over by a gaddo sicker fans like John Secar, who, if he wasn't busy standing under a project, is busy standing under his ex wife. What set of a leader is that these brave unionists stood up for what was right. A nation should be outdated because this is all about finding for what's really important, which is honest unionism, something I think to Toria needs, but it's got to be honest.
Speaker 2: Well, Nick, thank you so much for your work and all this, and thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the chance to talk.
Speaker 2: Also in the news, Federal Labor MP Luke Gosling has been charged with two counts of assault. The claims relate to an incident at a Darwin community event earlier this month involving Northern Territory Administrator David Connolly, whose role is the equivalent to a state governor. Gosling, who is facing two charges of assault. Since he's cooperating with police, he has previously rejected the allegations as ridiculous, and Optics is being sued in the federal court over last year's fourteen hour network outage, which saw callers unable to reach triple zero. The communications wash dog AKMA is heading up the case, claiming Optus breached its legal obligations around emergency calls more than one thousand times. It's facing a penalty of up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars per breach to deaths will link to the outage. I'm Daniel James. You've been listening to seven AM. We'll be back tomorrow.