Speaker 1: Hey guys, working Away a very special podcast that involves this man.
Speaker 2: Good By my Lover, Goodbye Bangers. Yes, actually loved James Blunt.
Speaker 3: He's so funny breakup songs.
Speaker 1: What I don't love is a Sunday night interview. We got the chance to interview James Blunt. It was a Sunday evening and you know who put a hand up and said, hey, guys, I would love this.
Speaker 4: Jenny. Nope, that's not I actually loved j It was gen Z.
Speaker 3: The issue with gen Z, we were like absolutely gen Z young producer in her twenties. The issue is that she doesn't really know any of James Blund's music. She's too young.
Speaker 2: She made us.
Speaker 4: Feel exactly, I didn't even know who James Blunt was.
Speaker 3: She thought she was interviewing someone else, so she found out it was JB.
Speaker 4: Please enjoy gen Z with what is it okay?
Speaker 2: So welcome to your first interview. Thank you. How's it going so far?
Speaker 5: I'm a bit nervous, not gonna lie me why. I don't know. I just feel like, well, they originally told me so. I don't usually work on Sundays, so it was pretty big for me to come in on my weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, that's amazing over me. Thank you. I'm so touched that you should come in and work on a Sunday. You must be gen Z. They just don't work weekends.
Speaker 5: I don't work at all. No, but they originally told me I was interviewing JB. I thought, oh my god, I'm let and I was like, I'm so excited, so am I.
Speaker 2: I would have walked out, walked in the door, looked at me and thought I'm out of here.
Speaker 5: I was like, I was hoping to get like sung like one less lonely girl, like baby, but I think I think you're beautiful.
Speaker 2: Were fine, Yeah, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: It's okay. I'll forgive you this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll try and make up for it.
Speaker 5: But so we hear it rod labor Arena before your concept and you've just done sound check. So everything went well, you.
Speaker 2: Never think seems to work. The guitars work, the ukulelely works, the drammer is alive, and we're in. And so we came from Sydney last night, which was an amazing concert and an amazing audience, and I think the band went to Better three like gen Z, Yes, exactly. And you don't want to know my generation. I'm a seven am. Yeah, I live in Spain.
Speaker 5: That's true. Where about in Spain?
Speaker 2: I live in Nibithai.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've always wanted to go that. I've been trying to plan, like my brat euro Summer there, right, and I was thinking of China go next year?
Speaker 2: You must, it's really epic.
Speaker 5: What is it like? Tell me about it?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I moved there because I really don't like my style of music. I like dance music.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's so unexpected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. I mean who would like mine? So and and well, in fact, my on my second album, there's a song called nineteen seventy three and it's about the most famous nightclub, which the very first night club in a Beitha called Pasha, which opened in that same year.
Speaker 5: So it's not about partying and idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. And then and then remarkably that the DJ Pete Tong remixed it and played it in Pasha the nightclub when he had our residency there, so the song did full circle. So and yeah, our club sort of opened at one, but you wouldn't go there before two am. Yeah, and they close at you know, seven am, seven thirty eight am even and you know it's kind of full on and really fun and you must go.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, I feel like I could out party you. I think gen Z's got a good chance here.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have a nightclub at the end of my garden of what Yeah, I must go. So I don't know if you could, because I do all day.
Speaker 5: Okay, I could do all day and all night as well. I think maybe we should collapse.
Speaker 2: I think, okay, you should stop competing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we sho. Yeah, have you ever had a wet pussy shot?
Speaker 2: I'm sure I probably haven't. If I haven't, I'm definitely open to it.
Speaker 5: It is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Do that.
Speaker 5: Now, we should do one?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 5: Guys? Can we can we get some wet pussies in here? Please? Amazing? We'll We'll slap back a few.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many comments from I can make it the stage, so many really crass comments. But great, Yeah, let's we should move on.
Speaker 5: We should move on from that anyway. So I have a feeling I can guess your set list tonight? Can I can I give you my run through? That's what I think it's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's going to be your beautiful twenty times, that's what you're guessing at, and a little bit of sand Man thrown in.
Speaker 5: I don't even know what that is, Yeah it's but it's.
Speaker 2: A totally guitar bassed rock band.
Speaker 5: Welle that I'll keep that in mind for next time. So I think you're going to start off with the song you wrote about.
Speaker 2: Me, You're Beautiful absolutely yep.
Speaker 5: And then you're probably going to go into sand Man as your second song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to get ap.
Speaker 5: And then I think you're got to close with Goodbye My Lover. So I want to say it's going to be about twelve minutes long. So that's quite a short concept. We love a time sensitive King Sleigh pop off.
Speaker 2: You know. I think I like to keep my setlist, like myself, short and sweet. We love a good time, yeah, and that means we can just move straight to the arter party with a wet foota show. Yes exactly. If I could just do three songs, I really I promise you our words that would be you know, that's that would be enough for me. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, we're very excited. What what inspired you for the new album? Who We Used to be?
Speaker 2: Really good question. I've got some kind of blurb I could like say, which I repeat over and over. Yeah, I'll let me try for it. Who we used to be is my new autog and it's a reflection on who the hell I was and where the hell I am now. I don't know. I mean, I write songs about real life and what's going on in my life at that at this particular stage. I'm a married man now, and so my muse is not the girl on the subway who I passed for one second in time, but my wife instead, And so I write, I can't just say you're beautiful to her, because she's not going to fall for that. And you've said that exactly many many times. So I have to write deeper, rich songs saying all the love that I ever needed, I got it from you. I uh, you know, we've been on a journey. I'm aspiring to start a family, and we've had successes, and you have failures like anyone else along the way. So I write poignant songs about that kind of journey. I have friends who struggle with a dick and h and depression, and so I write songs like saving a life for them, and you know, and I write songs for my kids, because because rather than being worried about myself, you know, which I used to write songs for myself. Now I now I'm the least important person in my equation and I have to think about others. And I suppose there's another touching song on this album for Carrie Fisher, who was Princess Laire from Star Wars.
Speaker 5: Uh think I was about two when that came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, but still around and I was lucky enough to live with her, and so it took me a few years since she died to write that song for her. But I've kind of I feel I've nailed that and that's on this album too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So how long, like does a process take? Like? How long was the album from such?
Speaker 2: I think it was probably about a year of writing and then getting to a studio after just to put it all together.
Speaker 5: Have you heard of chat GPT?
Speaker 2: I have? And so what I do occasionally, you know, and I'm writing a song is I'll say the chat Gupta and I'm struggling with this second verse. So here's the first verse, write the second verse in the style of Sames Blunt, and then I and it just is a total humiliation because of what it does is it points out how really crap my lyrics by just you know, everything sky and High and Goodbye, and it's just like, wow, I really am really basic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, we'll just do the whole album like that.
Speaker 2: It'd ben. I think it teaches me that I need to aspire not to be James Blunt. Justin Bieber.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, have you got like a favorite artist or like, who's like your dream person you'd like to collab with.
Speaker 2: I think The Weekend is just an epic musician and uh and and bizarrely that we write in obviously different style of music, lots of the lot of lyrical content is something I really relate to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, awesome. Yeah, I watched The Weekend when he was here and it was unreal. Is your constantly going to be the same vibe?
Speaker 2: I think probably, you know, probably more rocking. There'll be some crowdsurfing, yeah, and you know, and a few fights in the audience, and you know, the mosh pit's quite a messy, messy place in my gig.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I might. You might see me up there all right. Do you have any like pre show superstitions or anything like that?
Speaker 2: I Uh, you know what I do. I have a pre show ritual. I always checked my flies or my trousers are done. It seems just a sensible thing to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I love that. So you're obviously huge back like forty years ago.
Speaker 2: Just marginally fuck you.
Speaker 5: I'll take that. That's giving iconic. Yeah. So do you still get nervous like performing in front of sold out crowds?
Speaker 2: I'm do you know, I'm super chilled?
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, yeah, I feel like you're very You've got a very chill aura.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I guess you know, if we've been on the road since February and we chuck out quite a few concerts. You know, on a full touring year, I can do two hundred and sixty concerts in a year. Wow. And so by the end, if the voice is struggling a little bit, then you know, maybe I'll be a little a little twitchy. But otherwise, you know, as far as you know that an audience and performing, no, I'm with super chilled. I've got that. I've got an amazing band as well, and so you know, I'm just this short, squeaky voice guy in the middle.
Speaker 5: We love a short king, thank you.
Speaker 2: And but they're these kind of you know, there are the rock stars I always wanted to be. So it's kind of rock concert and they carry me. I can, I can make mistakes and they'll carry me through.
Speaker 5: Because we saw some just back outside, but I think they're heading off to a pub. So I'm sad that you couldn't go with them or either could we? But what about like, yeah, I think it was the bandy I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: So the well amazing thing about my my band is that three of three of them have married girls from the audience.
Speaker 5: Really, Yeah, that's lit, that'sn't it. That's a slight.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's amazing. Two of them are Australian.
Speaker 5: Really do you love Australia? Like do you? Well?
Speaker 2: The two of them girls in Perth, so one of my so I lost I lost two of my band to Australian girls. One now lives in Perth, he works down in Mine so that that serves him right, and and the other one lives in Sydney with his with his with his girlfriend his wife on Perth. So yeah, it's been you know, we've been looked after.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have you got like a favorite spot in Australia that you always go to when you come back.
Speaker 2: Well, do you know I lived in Sydney for six months. I lived on BONDI Classic, Yeah, in Michael Clark's bachelor pad.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And I did the Bond Eye to Bronze walk every day. And it's just really really a standing you beautiful place. But you know, Australia generally you have a very lovely way of life.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's well, especially in the summer, it's not as cold as the UK, which I'm sure you'd prefer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what a bit of global warming and we'll be sorted on.
Speaker 5: That that's true. Yeah. Well, if you're wanting to head out tonight, I could probably hook you up to go out somewhere.
Speaker 2: So sweet of you. But you know what, We've got a ton of bars already lined up.
Speaker 5: I can get you on the guest you can come. Gen Z will get you in. I can get you on the guest list. Okay, and I think we should go to Electric Great slap back.
Speaker 2: Some you're definitely old enough to get in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a lot older than I. Look, let's just say that.
Speaker 2: Well, one day that will be a bad but right.
Speaker 5: Now, pop off let's go. Have you ever done a boiler room?
Speaker 2: I mean I've done the whole bloody room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but have you do you know what the boiler room is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean sort of. Well, first you do a boiler run, okay, and then you and then you do the boiler room.
Speaker 5: Are you talking about a sauna?
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about something else. But you're going to show me. Maybe it's a difference in language.
Speaker 5: So we're basically at a boiler room right now. I think you should put these on. Great please, Okay, so I've recently just been to the recent boiler room.
Speaker 2: Have these safety glasses?
Speaker 5: These are speedies like you just speed through the audience basically, But I think you should try and get on the list and do a little set. But you have to wear these a small club, is it? Oh, it's it goes off. I can't explain what it is you have to be there, but you can only do it with speedies on. Okay, I think you leave it up to your imagination.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm wearing my speed like. I think I've got some parrots smugglers on you.
Speaker 5: Well that's well, I mean that helps, but just think of like Fredigan and like scrillax love the collab of James Blunt. I think we could really get something going here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not sure if they would be game, but we can put it to them.
Speaker 5: I think we should. And another reason why I think you might be in Australia is, so are you the surprise guest at BTV this year?
Speaker 2: How did you know?
Speaker 5: Because you're wearing speedies and we're so excited.
Speaker 2: Don't tell anyone, it's just between us.
Speaker 5: Can you get me backstage?
Speaker 2: No? Okay, sorry, that's okay. Another if I can keep the glasses then yes, okay.
Speaker 5: Let's go great slight. Okay, another question for you? How did you get to Australia from UK?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well the way you do it? Do you have a passport?
Speaker 5: I do, but I'm thinking of like a plane?
Speaker 2: Great, which, so while you do that, and it probably has to stop somewhere like hongcour k bio.
Speaker 5: So do you have a private jet? A couple a few?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Can gen Z have a private jet and flat first class?
Speaker 2: You're going to have to work for it. That's the thing, gen Z. You have to work for these things.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: If I just given.
Speaker 5: Things, if I make you the BTV surprise guest, like you said you are, you should fly me in your private jet to the UK to your next concept deal. Let's go epic, okay, sleigh pop off?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: I want to test you on some quick gen z words that I think, Roger, I feel like you might know a few, but I just want to I want to test you anyway. Okay, what do you think merizriz not Brisbane?
Speaker 2: Riz? Riz is?
Speaker 5: Do you have Riz?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Of course absolutely?
Speaker 5: How much? What would you rate your RIZ game?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, a whole bottom half of it.
Speaker 5: That's iconic. Okay, you're we might just leave that one. Okay, what about no Cap?
Speaker 2: Well, you know I'm pretty chill, so yeah, I would say so no cap.
Speaker 5: All right. That's what about Sebes?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't really like hanging out with them, but I you know, I don't mind that they can do what they like, you know, and live and let live.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so close.
Speaker 2: But the Seas they're cool with me. But you know, we just we don't hang so much.
Speaker 5: Okay, I might put that in the Urban Dictionary as a definition. Okay, what about lit, Like, let's get lit, let's get lit. We can get lit tonight, do you.
Speaker 2: Know I am in the Cockney the Dictionary for Cockney rhyming slang.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, James Blunt is a specific thank you James One.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, no, you're a complete. Now to James Blunt would be that is you. It's a slur on someone, You're a complete.
Speaker 5: What about like peaking peaking? James One is peaking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it takes me about three minutes, but.
Speaker 5: I get okay, I'm glad. I mean it's short but sweet, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And what about Aura? Like I thought, you know, James Blake would have a negative aura.
Speaker 2: But it's actually Aura used to be an epic, epic little tiny club in a beef which has since died, so it has nostalgia nostalgia for me.
Speaker 5: Let's just move on from that. So you're obviously from.
Speaker 2: The pop Off Yeah, I know, pop Off King. Yeah, I love g Yeah no, I put a cap in that ass anyhow.
Speaker 5: That's an absolute slight. Oh my god. JB is like daddy, Oh my god. Okay, So you're from the UK, I am, which is close to Ireland.
Speaker 2: Well done?
Speaker 5: Can you split the g Yeah?
Speaker 2: Of course have you done it before? Well no, I mean you know you say England that I can slip the G if I tried.
Speaker 5: But can you splinting the G?
Speaker 2: Can you split the G? I mean, why would you do that? It seems like an dude. It would really even it would hurt.
Speaker 5: This is so off, but it's great. I love it. JB is really popping off today.
Speaker 2: Hey gen Z, this is awesome.
Speaker 5: I love you, James, James. I was gonna say JB, but I went to James. Okay, another one for you. So I'm gonna give you three artists and I just want you to like rate them from slaps to canceled.
Speaker 2: Okay, slaps are canceled, so.
Speaker 5: Like slaps is like pull Mascal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think the only problem is I may not have heard of any of these people as it comes up. But let's see what happens exactly.
Speaker 5: What we need. Okay. So I'm gonna name three and then I want you to put an order from slaps to canceled. So we've got Sabrina Carpenter slaps, Chapel Rone, and Charlie XCX slaps.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we're on the same label.
Speaker 5: Charlie XCX, oh my god, pop off totally. Can you name can you sing? One of her songs for me. No, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: All right, so she just do you know what? She just beat me in the charts. Really, and if she hadn't beat me to the charts, I would have changed my name. I said I was going to change my name to whatever the British public chose if I got to number one in the charts. And she beat me to number one, so I didn't have to change my name and the British public could chosen blunt blunt face. So I'm quite relieved. But I came second. That's because I don't.
Speaker 5: Normally you're usually number one, but it's all right, we'll take you for number two.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: So you've obviously got more than two songs, and I obviously am a big fan. What are like? What are your can't.
Speaker 2: Name a third song?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 5: I really can't.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry. That's that's totally fine.
Speaker 5: Can you name me one more song?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not worth it.
Speaker 5: Well, like your favorite song that you've ever done, My.
Speaker 2: Favorite song I've ever done is a song called Same Mistake.
Speaker 5: Okay, can we please get the track ID for this and put it on SoundCloud? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, okay, cool? We should play it. Yeah, let's do a song.
Speaker 5: No, in all seriousness, James, thank you so much for coming back to Australia and Australia.
Speaker 2: So much and let's hit the town later.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go. What Pilsies come up?
Speaker 2: Off?
Speaker 5: Pop off King