Speaker 1: I'm Daniel James and you're listening to seven AM. Tim Tams and tiny teddies aren't usually the stuff of federal court cases, but product by products, dollar by dollar. The A Triple C has been building its case against supermarket giants Coals and Woolworthse over what it claims were fake discounts. Now both cases have wrapped and the judges reviewing the evidence. With inflation and grocery prices soaring, the timing couldn't be more crucial. Today Chief economist at the Australian Institute, Greg Gerricho on the case against the supermarket giants and its implications for Australian shoppers this Tuesday, May twelfth, Greg, the A Triple C has now wrapped its case against Wilworth's. The judge is due to hand down his fining against both Woolies and Cohal's later this year. Can you start by reminding us what the supermarket giants were accused of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Basically, the A Triple SEE is accusing them of deceptively pricing items, suggesting that they're on sale, whereas in reality they were not real sale. So what the case with Woolies has focused on is a dozen or so items out of a big long list of items that the A triple see found things like we're talking tim tams and fab and tiny teddies and all these other items, all the good stuff, all the good stuff.
Speaker 3: Wully saw the Oreo family pack at a regular price of three dollars fifty for almost seven hundred days, spi king to five dollars for just twenty two days. It was then added to its prices dropped line at four dollars fifty.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A good example is fat where the A triple see are basically saying it for four hundred and twenty five days, two kilogram pack of fab was seven bucks, and then for nineteen days Willies raised the price of that to fourteen dollars and then announced, oh, it's on sale at eight bucks. And the A triple c is saying, really, actually, what you've done is raised it from seven dollars to eight But you just put in a little nineteen days at a high price so that you could say it's on sale. It's a price cut. And Willies and Cohles did this for a range of items where for a long time it to be at a certain price that raise it for a couple of weeks, maybe three weeks, and then drop it to a higher price than it had been previous, but below that that sort of short term price, and the Air Triple C is saying, look, that's not a real sale, that's you manipulating the system.
Speaker 5: The A triples C alleges that to the price discounts as promoted were misleading because the discount was illusory. In addition, the Ariple C alleges that in many cases were worse and Cole's planned the temporary price spoke in order to establish a new hire Wars price for there was now price discount promotions.
Speaker 1: So what was Willor's defense to these allegations.
Speaker 4: Well, what was I say?
Speaker 2: Well, it is a sale though it was forty dollars, now it's eight.
Speaker 4: It has been dropped. We're not lying.
Speaker 3: Woollis argued suppliers drove the price hikes, stating following COVID there was a period of extraordinary inflation. At no stage do we mislead or deceive our customers.
Speaker 4: People know that prices go up.
Speaker 2: Things don't stay steady for all time, and so how long should we have to keep it? You know, we kept it up at this high price for a good period of time and then we legitimately did drop it. And when we say on the price tag that yes, like for fab we dropped it from fourteen dollars to eight dollars, Well, that is actually what happened.
Speaker 1: What happens if the people see wins this case, what will it mean for Coals and we're worse? And what are the implications more broadly are I'm tipping Greg This is probably one of the biggest cases the A People see has sort of brought forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a huge one, especially because of who we're dealing with here. I mean, we're not just this is in the corner store. This is everyone's quarter store.
Speaker 6: If this is found to be true, it's completely unacceptable. This is not the Australian spirit. Customers don't deserve to be treated as fools by the supermarkets.
Speaker 2: Coals and Woolies dominate the supermarket industry. But the good thing is that we will have broader implications for all businesses. No one else will be able to do this. If the A trip will see wins.
Speaker 5: We're seeking a significant penalty. This is serious conduct that is a great concern to us, that affected many consumers with millions of products sold subject to this practice. That penalty has to be high enough to be not a cost of doing business for such major companies to do.
Speaker 2: What it will really mean is that customers will have a lot more confidence when they actually do see sales on offer that it is a real sale. You know, if they win this case, whether it be coals and Woolies, whether it be you know, even things like hardware stores and so on, everyone is actually going to have to be true blue really about their sales. And it can't just manipulate it or let's just have it up for a time that we think is long enough to get away with, but actually one that we can justifiably say is actually, yes, this is the price that we're charging it at now, and if it is on sale, that is because we're offering it on sale.
Speaker 1: What are the chances of the supermarket losing?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: Because the judge did make a comment during proceedings that the Wooly scheme didn't strike him as nefarious or misleading, does that indicate he'll side with the supermarket giants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little bit concerning for those who are cheering for the a triple C. It did suggest that they weren't doing this in a deliberate way to trick consumers. But the A triple C is essentially suggesting, Okay, maybe they're not doing it so much to trick him, but they're doing the least amount they had to do for it to be legal for it not to be construed as misleading. So in a sense, the A triple C is arguing, okay, letter of law maybe, but this a spirit of law. You know, prices do go up over time. If something goes up because of let's say, transport costs, how long do they have to keep that up before they can drop it down to a sale? Is certainly a legitimate argument. But I think what we're talking about here is not a case of they were having to lift prices for any reason. It was really a case because it was over so many items. There was no sort of conformity of these items. You can say, oh, yeah, they've all gone up because of transport costs, or you know, there was a wage rise in that industry. It was just, Hm, they all seem to have been able to raise these things for two or three weeks that they dropped them, and.
Speaker 4: There really didn't.
Speaker 2: Seem to be much justification from the supermarks in terms of all these were economic increases in costs. It seemed very much more like a strategy.
Speaker 1: Coming up the nuclear option to break out the deuopoli. Greg if the AHPLEC case is unsuccessful options, do we have to keep these bohemous honest when it comes to our sievemaker giants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really tough because, you know, the A triple cee in this instance, for example, it's not really arguing about, oh.
Speaker 4: The prices are too high.
Speaker 2: It's really about being deceptive sort of false and misleading advertising essentially. And the problem with the A triple seed is most of its powers are link towards breaking either consumer lords such as laws of advertising or laws about competition. That they're colluding and what we know is the costs and woolies. Even though they both came up with this very similar marketing.
Speaker 1: Strategy almost identical, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Almost identical, they don't do it by wringing each other up and saying, let's do this. They just they kind of follow each other's lead and they know that they can collude without actually having to collude. And that makes it really tough if the A Triple C loses this. While the government has given them some more powers to look at prices to in a sense, force the companies to justify their prices. Really, that's more about are they price gouging? Are they really taking advantage rather than trying to get them to compete. And that's the real trouble, because they dominate so much that they don't feel the need to compete against each other. They compete almost with each other against everyone else. And when you do see them fight, they don't so much fight over price. They fight over, oh, if you spend twenty bucks you get a little Disney figurine or things like that. They fight over the sort of the edges, over the marginal things, and not actually over prices.
Speaker 1: Now I've collected all those figurines, so I know how tempting it could be when it comes to competition, Greg, the consumer seems to be sort of cornered here. I mean billionaire Adrian Portelli, who people might know is the Lambeaux guy or the guy who brought all the houses on the block, has been teasing to take on coals and woolies by launch in his own grocery chain. Is l'ba guy? The answer here, Greg, do we need more competition?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Look, more competition is definitely what we need. What we saw for example, when Audi came into the market, that actually did set off a price war because Coles and Woolies were really scared. And then what we unfortunately saw is everyone kind of settled into their market share. You know, there's only so much that Audi is able to grab, given it certainly doesn't have as many supermarkets as Coles and Woolies. And yeah, if Lambeau guy comes in, he's clearly not going to be able to compete directly with Coles and Woolies. It's more likely he'll be you know, competing either with Audi or other smaller sort of corner store style supermarkets and groceries. So that's the problem is that they're so big and they have such they are so entrenched, and not only their trench, they also own you know, plots of les and where another supermarket might wish to put a supermarket SubTime, but Cole's or will He's already owned that with plans to one day maybe they'll put it there if it's profitable for them, but it's certainly not profitable that for them to allow anyone else to build there. So it's a pretty tough problem in that sense, and unfortunately a rich guy coming in say I'm going to set up some supermarkets. Yeah, it might work in a small geographical area, but certainly we're not in a national sense.
Speaker 1: The coalition in the past who's argued for divestita powers form a poble C, buy, sell and fils is also a fan. What would that look like and could it make a difference.
Speaker 2: I mean the vestitshre powers are basically where you have a company or companies who essentially control all of the market, and you split them up the government forces them to sell up parts of their business. A classic example one that many people think should happen, would be a company like Meta and saying okay, you basically control all the social media markers. You've got Facebook and Instagram and WhatsApp. We're going to force you to sell off Instagram, sell off WhatsApp. So certainly divest your powers are something also in calling for, because the kind of a last resort of nuclear option when you do have a company that has such almost monopoly powers. Really, the unfortunate thing with Australia's supermarket sector is it's kind of tough to see how that would work. With splitting up Coals and Woolies, because you'd need someone to actee want to buy them, and you know how it would be done would be unclear.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure who. If Cols sells their shop, who's going to move into the local supermarket chain. Chances are they'd be divesting towards each other. That's not the solution.
Speaker 2: But also the reason why Coles and Woolies dominate is Australia is a kind of a tough place to have a supermarket chain because we're spread out so wide with a pretty low population density. And so to encourage someone to come in and say, okay, you're going to have to take on Coals.
Speaker 4: And Woolies and their brands.
Speaker 2: Yes you're going to get some of their locations, but you now have to take on all the costs of transport and set up those supply chains yourself. It's a big ask and it's why we haven't had a real influx of international competitors coming in and saying, oh, have a bit of that. It's one of those cases where you'd like to go back thirty or forty years and in some ways sort of ensured that Coles and Woolies weren't able to grab such a huge market by land banking and other things.
Speaker 1: Inflation and grocery prices of course on the rise right now, which is a time when traditionally supermarkets tend to break it in and make sort of huge money. How timely does that make this decision from the court, I know it's later in the year, but we have a fairly clear indication that the cost of living is not going to sort of lessen its grip on us anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really crucial. And the good thing with this is that we have some pretty recent evidence of what happens after the Russia invasion of Ukraine and the general opening up after COVID really set off a bit of an inflation boom across the world, and it was a situation where supermarkets and companies around the world and certainly here in Australia took advantage of because people really don't have any clue of why something is the cost it is, you know, and this is one of the.
Speaker 4: Key things of this trial.
Speaker 2: Like, for example, packet of tintams, you know, how much does it cost to make? What is the reasonable price for it? You don't really know other than of reference to what it was last week, or maybe what it is in another shop. Because of that, companies are able to raise prices on things by more than their actual costs are and people kind of think, oh, yeah, that damn straight of horn is raising the price of oil that we know that raises transport costs. So I guess that's what's going on. And it's a case of because of that lack of information opaqueness about what actually is causing prices to go up and enables supermarkets certainly to increase their profit margins.
Speaker 4: We saw that in twenty two and twenty three.
Speaker 2: Inflation rose because companies were raising prices more than they needed to to increase their profits. And what happened we were to pay higher in interest rates because the Reserve Bank was basically blaming us. So I think this case is very important in that regard because there needs to be at least some pushback on needs being able to price things. However, they want to make use of that lack of knowledge that we have to be able to say, look, if at least you're offering sales, they have to be a legitimate sale. Then of course we still have the other problem as well, and that doesn't stop them from increasing prices by more than they need to to cover their costs. And that's a whole other problem that we have to deal with.
Speaker 4: Greg. Thank you so much for your time, No problem is great to chat.
Speaker 1: Also in the news, Australia's first purpose built biocontainment facility will be used to how some of the Australian travelers caught up in the hand to virus outbreak. The five Australians on board the MV Hondias are traveling home on a charter flight and full PPE protective gear. On arrival, they'll undergo clinical assessment before being quarantined. The threat of the virus spreading further has been assessed as low. A Liberal Front bencher Tim Wilson now says he would never ever support a coalition government with one nation, despite refusing to rule out the possibility over the weekend, the Shadow Treasurer walked back his comments after other senior Liberals rejected the idea, but Barnaby Joyce says the Opposition will have no choice but to cooperate with the minor party after their dominant women Farah proved their power at the polls. I'm Daniel James Thank you so much for listening to seven AM. We'll be back tomorrow.