Speaker 1: Peto Quedlin Live from year twenty four.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight on Credline. Well, the sorry milestone that no politician can celebrate, Commonwealth Dace saws past one trillion dollars today and an incredible tax break handed out by labor to foreign companies building wind and solar in Australia. They've just extended this in a secret deal with the Greens. I'll explain that in a moment, Ben Carroll today and Victoria announcing his Royal commission into conruption on the big build.
Speaker 3: So is this a political stitch up? I suspect it is more on that.
Speaker 2: In a moment, class, don't rape, don't sexually assault to or make kissing noises at people.
Speaker 3: I'm not kidding you. That's the actual advice handed out.
Speaker 2: To asylum seekers in the UK as an asylum seeker religionly rapes an elderly man outside of church in rural England and precious still on the trime, Minister Tonight to sack the veterans, Minister Matt Kego. I'll speak to a veteran tonight who says veterans no longer trust their minister.
Speaker 4: Can the minister name a single ex service organization, one, just one which supports his plan to cap access to Allied health services for Australian veterans Australian heroes. Minister who brought forward Labor's plan to cut three quarters of a billion dollars from veterans Allied health support.
Speaker 3: Well, no surprises.
Speaker 2: The Minister could not name one service organization today. I'll come back to him with a veteran in a moment, But first, today, Commonwealth Dead hits one trillion dollars for the first time in our nation's history. And just to be clear on how big that is, one thousand million equals a billion, one thousand billion equals a trillion, or expressed another way, one million millions equals a trillion. Now, if it's easier, think of this in terms of time. A million seconds equates to eleven point six days. A billion seconds, well that's more than thirty years, and a trillion seconds. Well that's just over thirty one thousand years. So let's not gloss over the numbers too quickly. Let's not get used to numbers like this, because whatever way you look at it, one trillion dollars is a massive amount of money. And if it was just money, that'd be one thing. But it's more than that.
Speaker 3: It's debt.
Speaker 2: It's debt that we owe as a nation. It's debt that we borrow from overseas. It's debt that we have to service by spending billions on interest before government can spend money on the essential services that we have a right to.
Speaker 3: Expect as taxpayers.
Speaker 2: Let's go back and listen again to those comments from former treasure Repeater cost Stello when he spoke to me in April on the twentieth anniversary of that day in two thousand and six, when as a country, Australia had paid off its debt and at a commonwealth level at least we were debt free. What do you think when you look at the fact we're almost on the precipice of having one trillion dollars of debt.
Speaker 1: Well, it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 5: To have worked so hard and to have got Australia into such.
Speaker 1: A good condition.
Speaker 5: We were strong, we were admired around the world. I mean, the Americans couldn't do this, the British couldn't do this, the French couldn't do this, the Germans couldn't do this, The Japanese.
Speaker 3: Couldn't do this.
Speaker 5: Australia stood out and we were admired around the world.
Speaker 1: We got our budget under.
Speaker 5: Control, we'd eliminated commonwealth debt net debt.
Speaker 1: We're a shining example of a success story.
Speaker 2: Right Well, we were here we are now just twenty years on. Commonwealth debt's gone from zero under Howard and Costello to one trillion dollars under alban Easy and Charmers.
Speaker 5: Look at our economic position and I say, we lost our way. You know, let me give you two Marcus April two thousand and six, no debt April twenty twenty six trillion dollars. We lost our way, you know, we lost we lost the sense that we could do this. We lost the sense that we could we could be special. We lost the sense that we were prepared to work to make our country better. In economic terms. You know, you're either building the pie up or you're running the place down. And we've been running the place down. And I do feel I do feel sorry for young people. I don't think Chalmers's idea to give them higher texes is a good idea, but I do feel sorry for them because I think for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Their opportunities have been diminished.
Speaker 2: This is why government debt and spending maters as much as it does. It's why politicians wasted your money where the big amounts of it are on smaller things.
Speaker 3: Is a killer.
Speaker 2: Now, Labour's out there today are basically saying that none of this is their fault, that it would have been worse if the Liberals were in power.
Speaker 6: The Speaker, if they cared about debt, their policy wouldn't be to make it worse.
Speaker 7: Their policy is to make it worse.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Jim, no one's buying that. And if you think one trillion and national debt is a problem, wait until you factor in the cumulative debt across the states and the biggest basket case of all, Victoria.
Speaker 5: The Commord's got about a trillion dollars out in gross debt, and the states haven't got quite a trillion, but well getting up there at three quarters of a trillion dollars at the state level as well.
Speaker 1: Now what that.
Speaker 5: Means is the commonwork government's got to pay interest bill, and the state governments have got to pay their interest bill. A lot of money going out and interest on inherited debty at the moment. It's worse at the state level because the states don't really have much of a tax base to service their debts.
Speaker 2: There in lies Australia's a big problem, out of control debt and no one left in control anymore, who's even willing to rein it in Look, let me now bring to your attention something I think that most in the media appear to have missed, and I really need to know about this because the up shot is that foreign companies are getting a special tax holiday at the same time that the Albanezer government's hitting mum and dad investors.
Speaker 3: So here's what's happening.
Speaker 2: Back in the May budget, the Treasurer announced changes to capital gains tax designed to hit every Australian with an investment. And we know already that there's been a whole lot of unintended consequences like rate hikes and rent hikes, the widow's tax, the widow's tax in particular that Labor was forced this week to urgently fix with legislation. But here is where Australian citizens are being hit at foreign companies or they're getting away with a special deal from Labor. And it all goes back to the billions and billions of foreign money in renewables. Let me explain, on Budget Night, while the Treasure was busy doing over any one here with a rental property, Jim Charmers was quietly slipping in a special deal for foreign investors to avoid the capital gains tax hit. There it is in the budget papers now as announced. It would give foreigners investing in certain renewables in Australia, this is mainly large scale wind and solar, a CGT tax break.
Speaker 3: For five years.
Speaker 2: And this was done, I'm told because Chris Baren was panicking that Labour's changes to capital gains tax would see the big foreign investors in renewables pack up and leave Australia. Well, fast forward to this week and it would seem that this generous five year tax holiday wasn't generous enough. In a dirty deal with the Greens is a way to keep this bill out of a Senate inquiry.
Speaker 3: This five year deals.
Speaker 2: Now pushed to be ten years. That's right, The special renewables tax deal for foreigners will run out right up until twenty forty. So we've got this bizarre situation now in this country. At the same time that Albany and charmers have announced they're breaking promises to you about not putting taxes or touching taxes on your investment property. They're giving multinational investors a ten year tax break if they invest in Australian wind farms and other renewable assets. I mean that you were going to pay a tax hit that these foreign companies will not the wind and solar farms. Of course that more and more Australians say they do not want wrecking their farms or their regional communities staying with renewables. Here's to peas in a pod. If ever I saw.
Speaker 8: Them have all the reasons for acking on climate change, what do you think is it drives us to do more all the time.
Speaker 6: I mean, we've only got one planet, Elon Musk hasn't found a new home for some Mars yet, so if we don't take action, we will fry our own home.
Speaker 9: And there's still a bit of climate denial skepticism about what do you say to that?
Speaker 10: What do you say to people aren't you or or here those skeptical arguments.
Speaker 1: It's like it's physics. It's like saying I believe in gravity. Gravity does not care whether you believe in it or not.
Speaker 2: Chris Brian's out today talking about a new carbon tax by default. Well, no surprises, mister Harveside Mansion wanted to stand beside him in Canberra. You want to know why our energy grid is in such a mess? In one image, the two of them there. It is not to mention the man, of course who started the inside the Liberal Party. Honestly, what did we deserve as a country they have either of them in power?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's got a camp it out for the headlines. It's the end of the sitting fortnite. There's a bit around here's our political reporter cam Reddin good evening.
Speaker 11: The Foreign Minister has expressed her outrage at a decision to clear five IDF soldiers who were involved in the air strike that killed Australian aid workers Zombie frankem and six of her colleagues.
Speaker 12: And we do not have confidence in the IDF's Military Advocate General's process given the many unanswered questions.
Speaker 11: Ambassador Hillel Newman says it was all a terrible mistake.
Speaker 13: I do say, I say, we express our seign grief with the family.
Speaker 11: But on whether justice has been done.
Speaker 3: What does it mean?
Speaker 13: Justice lynch people in the street.
Speaker 6: No justice is That's why you have a court.
Speaker 12: Australian government will continue to keep pressing his role for justice.
Speaker 11: Australia's national debt has passed the one trillion dollar mark.
Speaker 6: Every minute Austrains pay over fifty two thousand dollars in interest on Labour's trillion dollar debt.
Speaker 14: The overwhelming majority of the dollars in gross dead and the budget was racked up by those opposite.
Speaker 11: News twenty four has revealed yet more controversial comments from the One Nation Senator Malcolm Roberts, who four years ago made this claim about the twenty twenty US presidential election.
Speaker 6: Do you believe that he lost that election or dold you believe there was Stolin other powers involved?
Speaker 13: That's yeah.
Speaker 10: I've got one of my staff is all over the American political scene. He knows what's going on. He knows about the electrocologism, but deeper behind that. And he was telling me that he was unmasking some of the counting before it was actually happening, and he sat Trump's walked this in, but it was still Stolin.
Speaker 11: And now, despite a string of remarks spanning several years that cover keem Trail's false vaccine claims and praise for Vladimir Putin. Paul An Hansen is standing by her lieutenant Tamon Reddin. News twenty four Canberra.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get into the wrap of the fortnite. Joining me in our deputy executive director at the IPA, Dan Wilde and News twenty four contributor currently Katsimbarnas. I'll get into the state of our books in a moment with someone who is out of the Treasury Department, but across the board, across the board economically bad news. We've got, obviously the one trillion dollar debt marker crossed to unemployment ticking up in the data out as well. Almost every day we've got a story of someone copying higher rents or falling house values.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 2: But Labour says, not us, nothing to do with us, and nothing to see here.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think the passing of a trillion dollars national debt is a marker of our national economic decline. I mean, at one level, there's nothing special about the number. Just because it tick diver doesn't mean anything dramatically changes, But it's a symbol of how much our country has changed in a bad way. We used to be an exceptional country, you know, you remember this. We used to be treated and looked upon by our international peers as different, as better, as exceptional. We were sort of the golden economic boy of the national economic community. We had stable finances, We had a rapidly growing economy that was based on productivity, not population growth underpin by mass migration, but productivity growth. We had wealth that was being created because of policy that was favorable towards our natural resources, which has been the wellspring of growth since settlement. But this is all now changed. And as you pointed out in the editorial, the state governments are spending like drunken salors. My colleague Adam Crichton had to report out today documenting the shocking rise to state debt on top of this as well. Now when we look at the current government, what role are they playing here? Well, as we've talked about before, this government is not interested in economic growth. They're interested in economic redistribution. So they come into power and what they see is a pot of honey that's there and they want to take that and distribute it to their sectional political interests. So they don't have a growth strategy whatsoever. And to the extent that the economy is growing. It's, as I said, all from population growth. About ninety percent of the growth is from population. None of it's coming from productivity. So no wonder people are losing jobs and living standards are going backwards.
Speaker 2: Danny is surprised by the work. I found today in some legislation that there was a deed for foreign companies investing in renewables to have basically a tax free holiday whilst mum and dad investors are copying changes to CGT, but that that has now been extended out to twenty forty and a deal with the Greens to keep this legislation away from a Senate inquiry.
Speaker 15: Even I was shocked by this, you know, and I probably come at this from a naturally cynical point of view, but even I was shocked to find just how brazen the government has become with dealing out favors. I mean, I just mentioned the sectional interests. I mean, this is how it works. They use the economy, They use the budget as a funnel, as a financial and economic funnel to the interest groups that they prefer, who are politically favorable, as you mentioned, to keep the Greens on site. Now there's many facets that are concerning the foreign element to this, the fact that it's going to continue to underwrite the net zero disaster, everything that means for regional communities, as you've been discussing now for many years as well. So again when you look at the budget, just as you have done, and you go through every nook and cranny, what you realize again this is not a nationally minded government. This is a narrow sectionally minded government.
Speaker 2: Let's go to that decision today by Golf Australia, Carolely, because I thought.
Speaker 3: They must have had it wrong.
Speaker 2: You know, we have seen the International Olympic Committee finally moved to say biological sex will be the only determinant when you are competing as a female or competing as a male. It won't be what you identify yourself with. But lo and behold, Golf Australia say, well they will allow transingendit verse players to compete based on whatever they identify as and not their biological sex.
Speaker 3: Well, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 16: I know a thing or two about competitive golf, and what I can tell you is this is opening up a Pandora's books. It's very difficult for people to get onto any professional tour as a man or a woman. But once you've got a biological male who has been through puberty, they are always stronger than a female. Twenty two years ago we have Michelle Wee who missed the Sony Open cut in two thousand and four by one shot in the Open. There was a lot of what's the word enthusiasm and conjecture about that. That was twenty two odd years ago. Now there will be pathways for people that don't make it onto the male tour, but they want to become a professional golfer and they go this way and Golf Australia. It's funny they've reversed their decision in twenty sixteen. I'm really sorry. The world is a very unfair place. But for a small minority of people that may be transgender golfers, you don't change the rules that have been established to accommodate a small minority. It is going to turn things upside down. I'm really sorry. When you've gone through puberty, as I said, as a biological male, you cannot then decide to go onto the women's the women's handicapped system and play women's golf. And that's what they're going to do. This is why it's been done. It is absolutely ridiculous. We seem to hang our hat on decisions by the United Kingdom, but we won't accept what the High Court said in the UK that you know, a biological female is a woman, right, This is madness. The rest of the world is laughing at us again.
Speaker 2: And of course we've had a lot to say this week about AFL clubs men not treating women with respect. I'll leave that for the courts and I support those comments. But what about the Australian Women's Football League allowing a biological male six foot two ninety odd kilos to compete with women?
Speaker 3: Now I'm over six foot.
Speaker 2: There is no way I could out muscle a ninety two kilo biological male if I'm in the center square or if I'm trying to run for a goal, and it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and that particular person is Freer Golding. And you've had three clubs in Adelaide that have made a complaint and they're willing to actually four foot matches so they don't need to put their players her at risk of in playing against this player. And the AFL still won't listen to them either. It is ridiculous. Everything is being turned upside down. This does not happen. This doesn't happen in the Middle East, this doesn't happen around other places of the world. Australia always seems to be cowtowing and having to go very woke with some of these things. That should just be a very common sense decision. And for people out there that say, oh, we're all pro rights, wait until perhaps you have children, or you're an aunt or an uncle, or you're involved with young people and you actually realize the injury risk of this person at ninety two kilos as well. I wouldn't want to play against them. I'm tall and it's an absolute risk.
Speaker 3: And when you've.
Speaker 16: Got clubs that have made three individual complaints, good on them saying to the AFL this needs to be addressed. Why the hell are the AFL going on the side of the woke. Can't they make a decision. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Let's just be consistent about your words about women. I fell, That's all I'd say on that one. Let's go to the carbon tax because like a bad penny, it's back. No surprises though, of course Dan while because we saw sidling up to Chris Bowen and camera was Malcolm Turnbull. Malcolm turmwol loved a carbon tax in his day. What do you make of this one? That is certainly written up in a discussion paper issued today by Chris Bowen.
Speaker 15: Well, there's a lot of facets to this. I've started the headline, which is to do with net zero because this is all to do with net zero, right, So number one is Chris Bowen won't even say the words net zero anymore. You remember his National Press Club address a couple of weeks ago. He didn't use the words net zero in his address because the public doesn't support it anymore. But they're continuing with these policies that the public doesn't want and that are destroying our economy. But why does labor like these policies? Why do they like net zero? Because it is a tool to centralize economic control. Okay, this is a command and control government and netsz is the vehicle they use to achieve that, so they can run the economy from their desks in Canberra. So whether it's the cars that you can drive, the food that you can eat, the houses that you can live in, the kind of food that we can grow as a nation, the types of industries that we can have, and therefore the type of jobs that you can have, and also what's taught in our education system around climate change and so forth. This is all about having government control over our economy. Now, this particular policy couldn't come at a worse time. You're going to impose a great, big new national tax on everything, because fuel supply is everything. We've just been through this. We've just had a situation where the price of diesel went up to three plus dollars a leter because of the shortages induced by the Iram War, exacerbated by bad domestic policy. Now, what the government is going to do is basically take what happened there and embed that permanently in our economy. They're doing this because they want to drum out of existence people who drive internal combustion engine vehicles, want everyone to drive an EV, and they want to again control the economy in accordance with their ideological views. That's exactly what they're trying to do with this.
Speaker 2: I'd also say too, they're so behind in all their targets and they risk a lot of embarrassment that if they get you out of a car, and you can see in a lot of cities, now you've got to drive at fifty or forty and someone talking thirty kilometers an hour and obviously people not using cars that will then automatically bring down emissions without any other changes actually coming on board. So this is also part of manufacturing artificial target meeting artificial targets. This is also on the table. I'll leave it there, thank you both. Just before we get to my next guest, pull En Hanson. Today, well, she's ramping up calls for the AFP to give her access to an alleged ISIS inspired video manifesto that was recorded by the father and son Bondai gunmen before the attack. According to court documents, the video shows the two men sitting in front of an ISIS flag while Navide Akram recites a passage from the Qur'an. Hansen's already lodged a Freedom of information requests to get access to the video that has been knocked back. Now she's taking the fight to the Information Commissioner, arguing it's in the public interest, saying Australians are told after a terror attack, national security starts with telling the truth Australian should not have to wait years to learn the truth.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I understand this is before the courts, but I agree with Pauline Hansen here. This is far too important for the video to remain secret. It should be made public. Now to the big issue of the week, the disgraceful conduct of Veterans Affairs Minister back Ko towards a group of veterans it traveled to Canberra to appeal the government's decision to cut their access to Allied health services. And here's a little of what the minister said in the Parliament yesterday because it relates specifically to my next guest.
Speaker 4: Former Royal Australian Navy diver and Fair Care for Veteran spokesman John Armfield said this after the meeting with the minister. I enlisted under the Navy values of courage, honor, honesty and loyalty, yet you failed to display any of these values, Minister.
Speaker 14: The circumstances of mister Arnfeld that he has gone through and he gave evidence to the Royal Commission about that, and I saw that evidence and I've engaged with him about the circumstances he had to confront were tragic and terrible and I've said that to him, and I've said that to him before. A Navy apologized for some of that conduct to him as well, and very much should have done so.
Speaker 2: Now, John Armfield, the man referenced, there's a former Navy clearance diver an incredibly dangerous job, who served in Afghanistan. He's also become an outspoken advocate for veterans after his own brother Andrew, who served in the Air Force very sadly, committed suicide in twenty eleven. John was one of the group of veterans it made their way to Canberra and met with Matt Keo on Monday. He was in the room. We'll get his version of events, John joins me. Now, John, welcome to the program. So the minister there in the Parliament before the media says he's engaged with you about your brother's death.
Speaker 3: What do you have to say to that, Peter.
Speaker 9: The only thing, thank you for having me on. The only thing I've heard Minister Keo say that's the truth this week, is that the situation that I found myself in was tragic and terrible. The fact he stated that he said that to me, he supported me. Peter, Minister Keo is not only lying to himself, He's not only lying to me. He has now lied to the Flora Parliament. He has now lied to the Prime Minister. He has now lied to our nation. Minister Keo, I was asked by the Honorable Michael McCormack about defense values and whether he adhered. I believe the answer is now obvious. Minister Keo does not even have the integrity to be honest with those who elected Minister Ko and those at pay salary.
Speaker 3: So John unpacked that for me.
Speaker 2: He's implying that was certainly what I picked up in that comment in the house, that he's met you, that he's spoken to you. Perhaps it was a phone call, if not a formal meeting about your brother's suicide, and you're saying that that's not true.
Speaker 9: Peter, I probably today is the most angry have been after watching Minister Keo. I sent strue to your office. The correspondence I received from Matt Keo on the fourteenth of July twenty twenty three came from a no reply at PWS dot gov dot Au and it was addressed. The email was addressed to eod Tech. You've got it there, It's.
Speaker 3: Got my ear.
Speaker 9: It was addressed to my email and as you can see, please find attached a response to your correspondence. I don't even know what I'm opening the attachments at the bottom and it says Minutester signed like, how dare he stand up on the floor of our parliament and say that he I'm this guy is taking a salary to represent and he doesn't just represent the veterans. He represents the service personnel, the people who put the uniform on tomorrow, the people who are deployed. Now this is unsatisfactory.
Speaker 3: So when there was.
Speaker 2: You know, questions that took him to task about how he treated the delegation. You know that he didn't shake hands, that he sat there with his arms crossed, that he was winging, he wasn't at the Governor General's drinks. He was pushed on that in the Parliament and again imply that there are two sides of every story, and he would not back in or apologize for his behavior.
Speaker 3: What do you say to that.
Speaker 9: Peter, This minister has probably had it easier than any minister for the Veterans, Affairs and Defense personnel. He's in a very unique position. He was provided the answers to the problem. He was provided recommendations by the Royal Commission. Commissioner Nick Caldice clearly said to him and this I quote this from the ABC.
Speaker 13: What it tells us is that there are.
Speaker 9: Problems in the barracks, there are problems with the disciplinary system, and there are problems with the chain of command. Commission of Peggy Brown went further and describing the enemies within. This is not combat the situation that Minister care needs to deal with. He wants to put a cap on those coming out of the military, but he refuses to identify and deal with the problem. But again, the problem has been identified for him. He's not up to this role.
Speaker 2: So the calls have been for the Prime Minister to sack him. Keo was asked today, just name one, just one veterans organization who is backing you in. He was asked that question twice and twice he avoided it. Is there anyone left who supports him? And if there's not, what's your message to the Prime Minister.
Speaker 9: I'm happy to take a call from the Prime Minister anytime.
Speaker 13: He was great.
Speaker 9: He made time for our coalition to meet with his public servants and advisors and we appreciate that we met with some great labor politicians, including I thought Emma Comer was amazing. So my message to the Prime Minister is the solution, sir, is not the cap. The Raw Commission's investigated, it's identified and it's given recommendations. If Matt Keo cannot provide a solution the problems already identified, find someone within your team that can. There are competent backbenches there that will step up. And if Minister Keo cannot implement this, we now have a minister that's responsible for both serving personnel and veterans who is now failing them.
Speaker 2: Peter Right, I have been inundated this week with support from my viewers to pass on to you. They want to be able to support you themselves. Where can people go? Do you have a petitioned? Is there a website? John Weeks? Where can I send people to let you know that they have your back?
Speaker 1: Peter Fair Care for Veterans.
Speaker 9: I see it's on the bottom of the screen. There is a web page, there is an email and on the socials you'll find it on across all the socials and if people reach out, because this has to stop, those who stand up in Parliament need to tell the truth. And if Minister Keo has the courage to address with me, addresses issue with me in person, I'm happy to sit down and bring the evidence and talk this out on your show.
Speaker 13: Or anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Well, I very happily arbitrate that meeting. I'll tell you what for a bloke to say in the Parliament and certainly imply that it had a personal relationship with you, and I know how those emails work. That's just an auto reply and that's just a pro formal letter. I'm sorry to say, John. We'll leave it there, but we'll come back to this issue next week.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. I will not let it rest. Thank you, Jason.
Speaker 2: If this has been tough for you, I know many of you have written to me and you are really upset at what's gone on. You have served, or you know someone who's served. Open arms one eight hundred zero double one zero four six after they break the milestone we didn't want to hit, but we have, haven't. We won trillion dollars a federal debt.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Still, come and dig into the detail of what's been announced today in relation to victorious Royal commission into Big build corruption, although the new premier didn't like to even use that word today, But first we knew it was coming. We're then now come with it, surpassing that grim milestone of one trillion dollars. And just to put things in a bit of perspective, twenty years ago, as you heard me say earlier, the Howard government two thousand and six, it was declared Australia debt free.
Speaker 1: We were admired around the world.
Speaker 5: We got our budget under control, we'd eliminated commonwealth debt net debt. We're a shining example of a success story right now?
Speaker 3: Did you think it would go back? So far? So far?
Speaker 5: I hope this would be a gift to future generations of Australians.
Speaker 2: How far we're fall And joining me in our former Treasury Assistant Secretary David Pearl. David, I'm not sure if you were there in the Peter Cristello era, but you know when I sat down with him in April, incredibly proud about this achievement. But he also said to me, and I didn't realize this, that when they established the Future Fund, he said, no money has been put into the Future Fund since he put that initial lot of money in there. There's been not a dollar put in by any other government since. When we talk about this debt number today, one trillion dollars, why does it matter.
Speaker 6: Well, before I answer that, Peter, I do want to unpack the responsibility for this one trillion dollar debt. I do think that Jim Chalmers is the current Treasurer, deserves his share of blame, but his contribution to the one trillion is about one hundred billion.
Speaker 13: The gold medal for.
Speaker 6: Advancing Australia on the path to indebtedness has to go to Scott Morrison and Josh Friedenberg. During their time during the pandemic, they added four hundred billion dollars to our debt and that was because they approved of prolonged lockdowns by subsidizing them with job Keeper, So that was the gold medal.
Speaker 13: The silver medal.
Speaker 6: Goes to Kevin Rudd and Wayne Swann for their over the top response to the global financial crisis. Not the first stimulus package, which was reasonable, the second stimulus package with pink bats and school halls. So Jim Chalmers does deserve a certain amount of blame. But our one trillion dollar debt is an indictment of every single government, Both coalition and labor we've had in Canberra since Peter Costello and John Howard left offers.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you're going to exempt the Abbott era there, because there at least was some attempt to deal with debt, to deal with debt and a lot of those I want to call baked in systemic payments and then start taking things off people or that didn't end well. We all know what happened there in the twenty five fourteen budget. But you're right, Kevin, right, that first in this package was supported by the entire parliament. The second one was sheer panic. And I was very critical of Fredenberg and Morrison because I felt that they panicked as well during the lockdowns. And you're right the moment they had that national Cabinet and they gave all the power to the states to lock us up, and I was in Victoria, so no one was more locked up than us. But all the financial risk was left to the Commonwealth. There was no way that these power drunk premiers were going to give it up.
Speaker 13: Absolutely. I'm writing a book.
Speaker 6: Actually I haven't got a publisher yet, but I'm writing a book on Australia's economic decline and I've been researching our response to the global financial crisis and the pandemic, and you're absolutely right, Peter. We had panic from our political leaders, supported by panic reading public servants, including Stephen Kennedy, who was at the core.
Speaker 13: He was working for Kevin Rudd during the glos A financial.
Speaker 6: Crisis and he was advising Morrison and Freedenberg on Job Keeper. So we had a treasury led by people and staff by people who are panicking. And I do think that Chalmers bears responsibility. I'm very happy to be critical of him on this program, but let's not forget our history. And I'm glad that you've added your perspective to that, Peter, because I'm afraid that if we have another crisis, whether it's a security crisis or an economic one, we'll have the same panic and that will leave us in at the tender mercies, if you like, for global creditors.
Speaker 13: That's what I'm concerned about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right to point that out, because it's not like we've got a money tucked away as most people try and have in a national government sense anymore. There's not much that you can sell. There's a whole lot of creative accounting in the books. As you know, a whole lot of stuff that bears as an asset, it's not really an asset. A lot of big spending programs that are off budget. We can't even get the detail anywhere about the Capacity Investment Scheme, which we know is basically putting up a whole lot of ideas at the flagpole. Most of them are failing and it's costing US billions and billions.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, But if you look at the official budget books, Peter, So, even if you accept them and leave to one side all of the tricks you rightly refer to, they've been prepared by a treasury and they're fraudulent. They wouldn't be passing audit in the private sector. Because they say that net debt will stabilize at about twenty percent, our gross debt will top out a little bit higher than it is now, and the budget returned to surplus, and the assumptions.
Speaker 13: Underpinning that that we have one point two percent a.
Speaker 6: Year productivity growth, we're nowhere near that, that every expiring government spinning program is not renewed, and that the NDIS will shrink miraculously as a result of these cuts. That's denounced and they will have another ten years of bracket creep if you remove all of those false assumptions. Yes, we don't have a heavy debt burden as a share of GDP compared to the US and other countries, but our trajectory is truly alarming.
Speaker 3: Not good, David, not good. I'll leave it there.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the analysis, and you're right the blame is equally shared right across the board. Before we go to the break though, Fiona Brown, you'll remember her, the former chief of staff to Linda Reynolds. Well, she's finally settled her claim against the Commonwealth for one point four eight million, so almost one and a half million. Now that's a lot short of what Britney Higgins received, who, I might add, has not paid former Senator Linda Reynolds what the court said she must pay after she lost that case, because of course, when she went to pay, Higgins declared herself bankrupt. I'm very happy for Fiona Brown here, but I'm staggered she did not receive the same payout as Higgins. And I'm also upset that the federal government fought her all the way and she still has no apology. I want to shout out to her lawyers because I know they were pro bono and she was up against you know, ten fifteen thousand dollars a day lawyers from the federal government. So Dominique Hogan, Dorian Junior Council, Miles of Foreign and Walter McCallum, who was the solicitor at Russell Kennedy Lawyers. Good on you the standing up for justice there. And let's hope Fiona, whose husband's not well, finally gets some peace.
Speaker 3: Now up to break Ben Carroll's Royal.
Speaker 2: Commission into the Big Build smoke and mirrors to protect his mates, the c if emau I reckon.
Speaker 3: That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Still to come, the shocking guidebook that's being handed out in Britain to asylum seekers not to rape or abuse women, as if it even needs to be said, but clearly it does. But first, now, finally, Ben Carroll announcing the terms of his reference, sorry, announce the terms of reference for his Royal Commission into the Big Build and serious reports of union corruption. This was something he had to do because of the politics as he desperately tries to save Labour's hide before the November election. Joining me now the Australian's Victorian Political editor Anthony Galloway, Well, we knew it was coming because this was you know, integrity is not optional. By line of day one, we finally get the terms of reference. We know the commissioner talk us through. I guess you're overall sense how fed income is this.
Speaker 17: It's a wide terms of reference. You know it's going after not only the cfm EU. What the Andrews and Allen governments knew. It opens the door for for Andrews just inter Allen former minister's current ministers Ben Carroll to be hauled before the commission, I think. I think notably, it also goes into what equals contextual changels. So what policy changes were made by the Andrews government that led to Victoria Victorian construction sector being so corrupt compared to every other state? Why was Victoria so different? Which I think will be important. We really need to look at not just why, I mean there's bad actors everywhere everywhere, right, Why were these bad actors allowed to completely infiltrate the CFMUU in Victoria and taxpayer funded work sides and engage in this kind of misconduct?
Speaker 3: He had some lines in there too.
Speaker 2: In the terms of reference that I saw reported that there would be I guess some attempt to look at recovering the money.
Speaker 3: Is that fair?
Speaker 9: Yes, So it will recommend to the government ways it can recoup the money lost, which you know corruption expert Jeffrey Watson has put at fifteen billion dollars. And there will also be in office of what he's calling an Office of Special Prosecutor, which will work in tandem with the Royal Commission to actually lay charges. The Lawyer X situation that blew up because the Special Investigator in that case didn't have the ability to actually approve prosecutions.
Speaker 2: Just like IBAC doesn't have the power. So to use the word corruption, Yeah, I see this as a bit of a red herring. You can have the parallel system, but that looks to me again as a way to bury it out of the public domain and then two or three years down the track, as we saw with Lawyer X, nothing really happened with these INDI.
Speaker 17: This Special Prosecutor does have the ability to prosecute by itself. It doesn't need the approval of the DPP, which is what blew up the Lawyer X.
Speaker 3: I will believe it when I see Anthony.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're as positive as you are, but let's hope that's right. What do we know about the commissioner because you mentioned there, you know, and the Premiere has been quite open that you can call me if you like. I expect that Andrews will be called and Alan will be called. But we know with the Royal Commission now into Bondai, we've not seen the Prime Minister. We've not seen Chris Men's call, we've not seen heads of intelligence agencies. In the end, if the Commissioner doesn't want to call you, you don't get called.
Speaker 17: I think if Daniel Andrews and just CenTra Allen aren't called, and you know, relatively quickly. This is a twelve month in the inquiry, it has to report by August twenty next year. But I think if they're not called, you know, that would be some kind of scandal given what we knew, and given what we knew, especially justinter Allen as minister. I mean people in South Australia are better equipped to kind of comment on Christopher Kracas he's a former Chief Justice. I guess the opposition, the state opposition he appointed out today that he was appointed by a labor government to all of his positions, including Chief Justice. So time will tell, I guess whether they go harder on that. And it will be interesting how if they win government the Coalition, how they will broaden the Royal Commission, whether they want to put extra commissioners on on the.
Speaker 2: Broad in terms of reference exactly, I have to bone up on the rules of the letters pattern because I think that requires the approval of Commissioner, the current commissioner to do that. But you could also join it, as I remember from law school with the Commission in Queensland, which would make all that evidence that they've heard horrific evidence in Brisbane would automatically become evidence in the Victorian case about the sea.
Speaker 17: For me, we'll see you could do something like that. I think the big question about this one, and I asked Ben Carroll today, is why there's two carve outs. It's for legitimate activity taken by unions in relation to industrial laws and a H and S laws. Now, I asked him, aren't those laws used as a smoke screen?
Speaker 2: Ostensible safety is a shield all the time for these guys.
Speaker 17: Yeah, And will this be an impediment to the Royal Commissioner to actually look at hey, ostensibly this is being used legitimately, but actually it's one big smoke screen to engage in miss CONDUK. He's saying it won't. I guess that is a lingering question.
Speaker 2: If I was Jess Wilson and I get into November, that's the first bar I would lift. Anthony, thank you, thank you, all right, quick break after the break, International panel will look at that as I say that. Guidelines in the UK that have just been issued. It's been a huge story there and Meghan and Harry apparently moving back to the UK. Do they need this as well as everything else? See you soon, all right, welcome back. Let's go to this shocking news out of the UK. I read it a few times, couldn't believe it. But Lisa is a guy that is now being handed out by the Foreign Office two asylum seekers on arrival.
Speaker 7: The asylum seekers coming to Britain of being given booklets telling them not to rape women, a warning that sex with children is illegal in the United Kingdom. The guide is freely available on the Home Office website. You can see some pictures on your screen now obtained by gb News, and also tells migrants that men and women are equal under UK law, and then a section on domestic abuse. It says that people go to prison if they attack their partner.
Speaker 2: Now, my panel, my International Panel on News really for contributed Kashagada and former MP Foreign Affairs Defense Committee Chair Michael Danby, Michael, how do you have anyone come to your country that you have to say, don't rape women, men and women are equal, don't rape or sold children. Surely if you have to tell them that disqualifies entry from.
Speaker 8: The get go, you would have thought. So it's like so extraordinary. I can't believe that if they keep doing this kind of stuff, the incumbent labor government won't end up like Starma was very unpopular. I just read you some of the things that it says. Sexual contact without consent is sexual abuse, and it covers coercion or force. Sex with someone who's asleep or intoxicated is not permitted in the United Kingdom. Come on, really, this is disgusting. How does such people get in? And you can understand the average brick once them kicked out.
Speaker 2: There was a horrific case the other day of an elderly man. I'll say allegedly.
Speaker 3: Because it'll go through before the courts.
Speaker 2: Raped outside a church by a male asylum seeker.
Speaker 18: Yes, that was horrific, and all these cases, but there's nothing like a PowerPoint or a little PDF to force assimilation.
Speaker 3: That's basically what they're doing.
Speaker 2: The same government who said these rape gangs weren't happening for years.
Speaker 3: And years and years.
Speaker 18: Cognitive dissonance, it's absurd. Everybody knows it. The only solution is shut the spigot of immigration and asylum seekers from the That's the way you're going to solve this problem, not by printing out a PDF of guidelines of how to behave.
Speaker 8: In European Court of Human Rights. And they've got to just pass laws in Britain that make the courts invulnerable to being overruled by that European court, otherwise they just can't act on it.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that there hasn't been sexual assault, rape culture in our culture and in Europe, but the statistics in Europe now, Michael, with these waves and waves of fighting age men out of the Middle East arriving on Europe's door step ever since Merkle allowed a million into Germany, the statistics are horrific.
Speaker 8: Well, the first Christmas in Cologne after Mutti Merkle admitted a million people from this horrific, especially to young women just going out for their normal Christmas market shopping. Honestly, it's got to stop, and you know, otherwise people will get violent.
Speaker 1: In the UK, you can.
Speaker 3: Understand why they're angry.
Speaker 18: Culture, absolutely, and the thing is that how we talk about it and the mathematics coming from we know what's coming from man now. Unfortunately, the mathematics would suggest things like dep rotation, like that's where the conversation shifts because there's already critical mass of them in here. So yes, you want to stop the door coming in, but then you also have to do something with the fact that a million people were let in, as you say, so many on Beyond that, there's these no go zones. Police won't even go and police them in certain parts and it's just unrecognizable.
Speaker 2: But what do you do about a little town locked pitting ten on three hundred people or something, and they're going to put a camp of twelve to fifteen hundred again fighting age miles there permanently because they've got nowhere to house them.
Speaker 18: This story is making the international news for good reason because it's three x three times as many people as a population of that town, as you say, four hundred residents twelve hundred asylum seekers that go in there. It reminded me of the Haitians in Springfield, Ohio that Trump made famous in that debate by saying they're eating the cats and dogs.
Speaker 3: Whether they are they're not.
Speaker 18: It was the same thing that you're shoving too many people numerically into these small towns who didn't ask for it, don't want it, didn't vote for it.
Speaker 3: But this is what they're doing.
Speaker 18: I want to sucsay now because of that, and they're doing sort of a symbolic vote. They did something on the fourth of July. Non coincidentally, they've got another thing coming up on the fifteenth. It's not possible because under UK law, Parliament has to approve it, but it is certainly a good tactic to get international media attention on it.
Speaker 3: We're talking about it.
Speaker 18: Will it actually lead to something that the government does and actually doesn't put the asylum secrets there remains.
Speaker 3: To be seen.
Speaker 18: I'm not very hopeful, but at least they're calling a lot of attention to this issue.
Speaker 2: I'll come back to you about Betty one just quickly, but really quickly, Harry and Meghan coming back to the United Kingdom. Clearly they've run out of road in yes La.
Speaker 18: You can see that the deportation strategy is working.
Speaker 3: Ah, Petty woe good or bad? This week terrible.
Speaker 8: Three officers in Israel were reprimanded, two were dismissed. Retired Air Chief Marshall Binskin, who she ignored when he came back from an Australian authorized thing said, concluded that Israel did not deliberately target the aid workers. Terrible that zombie was killed, but there was a hummus guy on the roof or a security guard on the roof shooting and it was a mistake. Terrible mistake that happens in war.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Michael, Apologies, demart to pologies dandrewbot Late, I'll see you Monday.
Speaker 3: He's Andrew. H m hm