Speaker 1: Apod Shake Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom?
Speaker 3: Podcast?
Speaker 2: We constantly asked the same question, and actually I was having a conversation with someone the other day about alcohol in mums. I won't get into the darkness of it, but how there's an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in.
Speaker 3: A lot of mums.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, I can so relate, Like you can so relate.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's more secretive with mums than it is with dads? Like dads is just like they sit there and they just have a beer and it's just what they do. And with mum, it's like I might have a wine a bit earlier before people come home, so then you know, you don't get that distinct lab that goes with it of like, oh, sorry, you just had a wine at five and now you're having another wine whilst you're cooking dinner. And I'm like saying it because it is a thing like I've questioned myself a few times, which we've talked about, where you go do you really Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's definitely a shame around it. And I also think it's kind of a because being a mum is so hard.
Speaker 3: It's almost like it's.
Speaker 2: The kind of the reward of going, Oh my god, like such a busy day.
Speaker 3: There was so much going on. I managed to get them to.
Speaker 2: You know, football or dance or whatever it is. We got home, we did dinner, We've done lunch.
Speaker 3: Boxes and blah blah blah, bah blah blah blah blah. You're thinking of a million things.
Speaker 1: It's that.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna have a wine. Now I'm gonna relax. Kids are in bed. It's kind of my time.
Speaker 2: We laugh about it too, like even on our logo, We've got mom with a.
Speaker 3: Glass of wine.
Speaker 2: It's like, and actually at it now the bottle was nearly empty. So it's that whole when's too early to have a wine?
Speaker 3: Like laugh about it. But yeah, I was actually having a serious conversation.
Speaker 4: I was like, it's having a real serious conversation with someone, or just with yourself.
Speaker 3: I was having a conversation with someone, genuinely.
Speaker 4: I have conversations with myself, Like I have moments where I'm like I try and ask myself the question, why are you having this? Why are you choosing to have a cider instead of a soda water?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, it's more fun but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's where I'm going to leave that one.
Speaker 3: The amount of times my kids have gone, why are you drinking wine? I'm like because of you falls.
Speaker 4: Am I a bad mom for creating bad habits?
Speaker 1: I don't know. So I don't know where I stand or land with this one. Katie. Currently Channel nine.
Speaker 4: Has a TV show on corn Maths.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm oh, I feel like.
Speaker 4: I'm like, literally, you know, at a meeting where you own your bad behavior.
Speaker 1: That's where I.
Speaker 2: Am funny because you love maths like you've loved maths for years always. Your husband was recently on I'm a Celebrity.
Speaker 1: Get Me out of Here, really different channels.
Speaker 2: You had a bit of a battle when Maths started showing at the same time on the opposite channel. It's like, well, I should really watch my husband, but I actually really like Maths.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So to give you a really clear view, I don't watch any other TV for the entire year. I barely sit down. I know, it's really hard to believe that I don't sit down to watch TV. And if I watch a Netflix series, it's usually like an eight part series that's like got me. But then I have to binge the whole thing, and then I'm down. I don't need to kind of thing like I'm genuinely. I train early, I go to bed early, I work early, so TV is not my go.
Speaker 2: To right Xactually quite funny that you love math because you're not that kind of trashy TV. So the person I'm that person, I love kardask I've never watched a favorite episode of Kardashians in my life to this day. I love that trashy I watched Real Housewives of Beverly Hills like I.
Speaker 3: Love that trashy shit.
Speaker 2: I don't watch like heaps a bit like I've got no I don't money.
Speaker 4: Of those, but I don't have any, which is why I get so much shit around this.
Speaker 1: Right. So, in my house, if my mum.
Speaker 4: Chooses to call in and stay the night, what are you watching this ship for? Can we have a little bit less please, I'm trying to watch TV show, so going now into creating bad habits for children? Yes, mum called over, Mom stayed the night. We've eaten dinner, and the girls and I watched Maths from somebody?
Speaker 1: Why am I going quiet? Seven thirty to eight?
Speaker 4: And then they go to bed and then I'll watch the end of it kind of thing, but they'll do reading and do their usual thing and then eight thirties bedtimes. That's how our household runs, obviously, not maths every night. That's genuinely how it all runs.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Mum being there, she was like, what is this shit? Why are you letting them watch this?
Speaker 1: Rachel?
Speaker 4: Oh, this is not even real life. This is not real TV. And I was like, I know they know, like, well they don't know, but I'm trying to tell them that it's not. But it's like one of those things Katie that I go, I don't ever watch anything else. And yes, it is trashy TV, and no, it is absolutely by far not honest or healthy relationships coming out of this right and the way that they behave on there.
Speaker 1: Yes we know how it works.
Speaker 4: There's structured people behind it making a lot of shit unfold, and then our own behavior within those certain situations.
Speaker 1: Reality TV is.
Speaker 4: Really hard, yeah, really hard, Like the background of it is tough and brutal, yet people continue to do it. So then we choose to watch it, and then I let my kids watch it, but then my mum comes in absolutely ridicules me for it. You are teaching them bad habits. Love you, Nanity, and then I feel bad for it, but I don't stop doing it.
Speaker 3: My kids watch. This is worse.
Speaker 1: So I'm putting it to you to go watch your kids watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is potentially fucking up their whole reality of what life is actually about.
Speaker 2: They watch Love Island and they are obsessed with it to the point where they act out the people and they go, Hi, I'm twenty two and I'm from Essex.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And then they said to me one day, Amelia goes, Mum, when i'm.
Speaker 3: Older, I'm going to go on Love Island.
Speaker 1: You're not.
Speaker 2: No, You're fucking not still watching that shit, and she's joking. But they love it. They love Love Islands, and I'm like, I don't watch it with them because you know, they're teenagers and that doesn't happen now. But but I do hear the stories and see little snippets of the people that are.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, probably don't put that as your.
Speaker 1: You know, tagline, your goal, your dreams. Don't aspire to be on it. And we you know what.
Speaker 4: Weirdly enough, ten and twelve the girls my girls, and I'm having those conversations with them going this is absolutely not real life, just FYI, and it is not how you're going to generate or look for love in another Okay, just.
Speaker 1: Letting you know.
Speaker 4: If you come to me and tell me you're on MATHS, I will not support it. We're having a gig or rat. Obviously, also need to put in a disclaimer that when they do the Intimacy Week in Maths, the kids don't watch.
Speaker 1: That's not for them.
Speaker 4: They are allowed to watch the dinner parties and they're like, you know all that stuff, but the Intimacy Week, it's a no go.
Speaker 1: We don't watch that. We have a laugh about it, watch it for half an hour a night.
Speaker 4: But what did you watch as a kid that your parents let you watch that you reckon really fucked up your view on things?
Speaker 1: If there was any.
Speaker 2: Silence of the Lambs, Yeah, I watched Silence of the Lambs. I recognize about ten.
Speaker 4: I think I was Gracie's age, and we went to a day where we went and did videos at a friend's house and she put on that what's the other one? That Stephen King with the clown clown come up out of the thing in the drain was that the clowns it maybe I don't know the one whatever that came up from the drain on the ground, and would like I genuinely will not still walk next to a great like that on a road.
Speaker 3: Weird sound comes out.
Speaker 4: But in terms of like my mum just gonna throw down a d under the bus because she obviously this is where this topic has come from. She let us watch like at say Gracie's age.
Speaker 1: Actually she didn't let us watch it, just watched it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Actually, Luke used to hide underneath her chair. She would genuinely think we've gone to bed, and Luke would push the envelope a little bit more hide underneath her chair. So she's sitting on this chair, his head is underneath the chair where her legs are watching.
Speaker 1: The semi show, whereas I would just sort of be like watching around the corner. I kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I've told this story previously, but I do remember being on a plane and my kids sitting next to me, and I was watching what Jennifer Lopez is it like Hustlers or something like that where she's a stripper. Yeah, And I'm watching and there's like some quite you know, adult scenes in there, and I noticed that Holly is like she's got some sort of cartoon on or whatever. This is years ago, and she's watching my screen, but my screen's right next to her. I'm like, what are you doing that situation? When you're on a plane, you can't stop them from seeing. I've got the bloody safety card up, like holding it against this greens as you can't see.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. I love that though, so inventive. Yeah, I would not have thought of that, would be like, look away, that's.
Speaker 2: The safety No one's ever actually looked at the safety path of the safety card. It's just used to screen your kids from watching inappropriate stuff on the TV.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I can't stand those safety cards. I do not touch them.
Speaker 4: They've been in that seat pocket for so long that I'm like, no, no, no one's cleaning na no, no, no, one's wiping that down.
Speaker 2: You probably know this because you're hosty. The dirtiest thing on the plane, isn't it the tray table where.
Speaker 3: You put food.
Speaker 4: Also the air vents of the recycled air they're like one of the dirtiest places on an aircraft, and obviously of the bathroom. So flying long distance and you think Oh my gosh, I'm just going to take myself into that bathroom and reach my high club. Think again, think again, and think about all those things that those bathrooms.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I think so. I can't think of anything worse than joining in my hard club. I'm perfectly fine without Ernie.
Speaker 4: Do that.
Speaker 1: Katie's in there, Hang on, I just wipe it all down a second.
Speaker 3: I can't even barely fit in there to go to the toilet alone, do anything else,