Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of the Front Unclaire Harvey. Reality TV is a phenomenon that can be traced back to the late nineteen forties, as the genre evolved from the award winning Up Series to the Jersey Shore via Sylvania Waters and Fuck Boy Island. The constants have been real people, real lives. In twenty fifteen, Alone premiered on the History Channel in the United States. If reality TV up to this point had been a social experiment, Alone was a solitary experiment where time slowed down and contestants had to rely on ten items and bush savvy to do one thing survive in the wild. Alone. Now it's a top rating staple of Australian TV today. Why Alone speaks to our primal instincts and why it's on SBS. Since that first season in twenty fifteen, Alone has become an international hit, with seasons now filming in nine countries, including here Alone Australia now just having wrapped its third season. Whether in British Columbia, Norway or the rugged West Coast of Tasmania, the format is the same. Ten contestants are dropped in separate remote locations with ten personal items.
Speaker 2: The acts PHARAOHAHD, two court, pot, belt, npe, heap.
Speaker 1: And a case of cameras to self document every high and low. Gradually, the Wild whittles down the field of contestants. Oh, I don't want to tap but I don't want to die either, for the isolation proves too much for many. I do need people. I just didn't realize that I needed people. Frostbite, starvation and injury force contestants to tap out. Make a call using a satellite phone to be extracted. Hey, it's Tamaka.
Speaker 2: I'm officially tapping out.
Speaker 1: It's a game of survival and the last person standing gets a hefty prize, a cool quarter of a million dollars. Here in Australia. In today's episode, we speak to our media editor James Madden about this TV phenomenon. I'm also joined by the fronts Jasper League, who happens to be an Alone super fan. Jasper, I'm new to a Lone Australia and I've binged it, but you're a superfan. Tell me about season three Alone Australia. Who was your favorite character.
Speaker 3: I'd say it was a dead heat between Kaylee and mother Kaylee was so industrious, she was so likable. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried when Kaylee was eliminated because she got a uti. Kaylee's story is amazing. She's a disability advocate. She's hearing impaired herself, she has been since birth. And she talked a lot about the fact that her father told her never to let her impairment be a crutch, and you never got the sense that that was outside of a bit of fear at the very beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a moving moment where there was a big storm raging outside her shelter and she turned off her cochlear implant. Let me know, there's an animal out there, screech in a way turning it off, there's complete silence, care nothing.
Speaker 3: I thought there was such a great move on the editor's part two to just kill the sound in that moment. So we really got a sense of what it would be like to be in that environment and not be able.
Speaker 2: To hear anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, so tell me about mother.
Speaker 3: Mazza's the oldest contestant that alone Australia's had. He's sixty three years old. He's got a foul mouth on him, he's got a lot of incredible turns of phrase.
Speaker 2: That's the first brown trap. Not big, but I do feel like I've been kissed on the deck by firing.
Speaker 3: I found myself just smiling every time he was on the screen, and I was sad to see him be medically extracted as well. In his case, he was pretty beaten up. His blood pressure was really low, so he was having these dizziness spells. He was starting to fall over. He had gout in his left ankle. From memory, but mentally he could have won.
Speaker 1: Mather is a retired kangaroo shooter, so a professional bushman really. He was one of the last two standing, along with a thirty year old called Shay, a New Zealander who works as a possum trapper. Two expert outdoorsmen, and they really both struggled, didn't they.
Speaker 3: They definitely did. Maybe the trait that they both shared was come hell or high water. They were never going to give up.
Speaker 1: In the finale, we saw Shay catch for the first time mammal. He caught a patty mellon, yes, and then he slaughtered it and ate every part of it, he said, to honor the animal. It was confronting watching that happen, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, it's a big part of the show. I remember when I first started watching it six or seven years ago, I found the hunting components of the show really confronting, but it is a necessary part of the show. There is no survival without killing, and I think that it's a good reminder for people, especially I think the meat eaters of the world, to come to grips with the reality of that relationship that we have with food.
Speaker 1: James, thanks for joining us. Like all reality television shows, Below in Australia is a masterpiece of editing. They take thous hours of footage and condense them down to a narrative for each character and a narrative with in each episode. But one thing that the participants don't have as a gripe, which we've become used to from other reality TV shows like say Big Brother or The Bachelor, there's no villain edit. Nobody is complaining that they've been misrepresented in a loane. Does that mean it's more kind of virtuous as reality television than other forms of the genre that we've seen.
Speaker 4: I would say that I suppose it's stripped back to what reality TV was, possibly always meant to be insofar as being a fly on the wall. Look at people living there, quote real life, even though they're being placed in extraordinary circumstances. As the series goes on, you can obviously see in a way that the contestants almost forget that they're part of a television show and their real selves are and exposed and authentic.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety two, Sylvania Warters Deadboot on Australian screens, which was really one of the first reality television shows that I was aware of made here in Australia that was made as a co production by the ABC and the BBC, and it followed a kind of a nuva resh Sydney family through their domestic dramas.
Speaker 4: For God's sake, he can have a bloody birthday came, but he's just saying it. They're all going to bring friends and the gony Buddy a million people.
Speaker 1: We haven't got the room, of course, we haven't got the stupid How do you think reality TV has kind of evolved from there? Has it got any better?
Speaker 4: Well, it's really interesting the Sylvania Waters point you make. I think the strength of Sylvania Waters even at the time, was that there was no Polish to it. These were people who were unashamedly themselves and there was no attempt to make them more impressive, if I can use that term. It was just supposed to be. This is the way this family lived their lives. And what you've seen the past few decades is that reality TV has morphed into fakery. Really it's not reality at all. Shows like Big Brother, even honestly Get Me out of Here, which is I supposed a similar concept. In a way, there's intervention from the producers which remove the truth of reality. So looking back to Savoni Waters and then looking where we are now with The Lone Australia, there are comparisons and in a way these shows are far more interesting and watchable given that the viewer knows that I suppose they're not being tricked.
Speaker 1: Of course, as the media editor of The Australian, you have to just look at all the media with an impartial eye. But do you have feelings about the other kinds of TV shows that we see, the more contrived ones that might be a talent quest like The Voice or Married at First Sight, where there's an immense amount of conflict introduced to a group of people. Does that make you despair about television, doesn't.
Speaker 4: Make me despair. My personal view is that most of these shows are harmless and good fun. The other thing I'd say is, of course, in terms of content on Australian television, particularly free to wear television, now, unscripted drama is what they call reality TV shows, that genre has completely overwhelmed scripted drama, and I don't think that is a particularly good thing.
Speaker 1: More of my chat with James Madden and Jasper Leiku after the.
Speaker 2: Break ah part of the funny talk about it.
Speaker 1: I really felt an affinity with the contestants who tapped out early.
Speaker 2: Physically, I've got a lot more in me.
Speaker 4: I've got a lot more in me physically, Emotionally, I can't that one of.
Speaker 2: You cry on every day.
Speaker 1: I appreciated the different kind of courage they showed in admitting to themselves that they weren't coping. What is it about the people who prosper and who.
Speaker 3: Win the winners Their family becomes this sort of deep source of strength for them to actually stay, as opposed to a sense of yearning that makes them want.
Speaker 2: To tap out.
Speaker 3: These are the people who have deep fortitude and self reliance. Interestingly, self Reliance, written by Ralph wado Emerson, was quoted by Allen in season one. The winners all seem to cross this threshold where they seem to tap into some other gear and they actually begin to thrive in these incredibly hostile environments. Solitude does this really interesting thing to them mentally, they become more philosophical, they become so thoughtful. Maybe at its core alone is about meaning or finding meaning.
Speaker 1: What's in it for a broadcaster like SBS to make this show.
Speaker 4: I think a couple of points. It's showcasing one of the most remote and beautiful parts of Australia, a part of Australia that most Australians a will never go to be have never seen on the screen. And it's featuring Australians and New Zealanders participating in something that ordinary Australians will never be exposed to or never experienced, in a way that commercial reality shows can't do. I don't think there's any issue with a broadcaster like SBS going above and beyond and stretching the boundaries of their charter to make a show such as A Lone Australia, which is perhaps outside their normal realm.
Speaker 1: James Madden is the Media editor of The Australian and his Unmissible section is in print every Monday and online all the time at the Australian dot com dot a you. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and co produced with Jasper Leek, who edited the episode and also wrote our theme. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Kristin Amiot, leat Zamaglue, Tiffany Dimac, Josh Burton and Stephanie Coombs.