Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, April twenty eight, twenty twenty six. Penny Woe wants China to commit to fuel and fertilizer for Australia, and she's prepared to leverage our ninety three billion dollar iron ore trade to get it. The Foreign Minister will meet with her Asian counterparts on a diplomatic trip this week. Plans by the Albanese government to shake up capital gains tax and negative gearing in next month's federal budget would add just five billion dollars to the bottom line over the next four years, and it would do little to improve housing supply, according to a new analysis in The Australian Today. Those exclusives alive right now at Beaustralian dot com dot au. He's picked a fight with Donald Trump, embarked on an unsanctioned royal tour and undermined one of his late grandmother's last wishes. So what is rins Harry playing at and what will the Royals do about it? Today we unpack the inner workings of Sussex Inc. With Associate editor Jenna Clark. She's here in just a moment. Jenna Clark is an associate editor with The Australian, and I've dragged it back into the front to help me understand what on earth Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are actually up to. Jenna, I am looking at the statement that the Queen released in twenty twenty after the so called Sandringham Summit, where Harry and Meghan had pitched their big idea of being half in half out working not working royals, and what the Queen said at the time was that with a Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations while they can no longer formally represent the Queen. The Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty. The Sussexes will not use their His or her Royal Highness titles as they are no longer working members of the royal family. So looking at what the Sussexes are actually up to, and let's start with Prince Harry's visit to Ukraine, where he showed up in Kiev and made a speech nominally in association with his Invictus charity.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, distinguished leaders and friends, it is an honor and a privilege to return to Kiev, my third visit to your beautiful country, and the privilege to be asked to speak to you today.
Speaker 1: Do you think they're sticking to the letter of that agreement with the Queen?
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 4: I think they would definitely have lawyers poring over that statement for sure, because it just seems a very, very confusing considering we've just come off the back of that non royal royal tour slash money making exercise in Australia, and then all of a sudden he's hosting and fronting security summits in Ukraine, which you know, sure, but I don't think that their whole concept of what the Sussexes actually stand for and what their brand is all about has really cutting through. I don't even think Harry knows exactly what he's doing, and I think he just looks like a little boy lost and that's why he's running around the globe now embarking on these trauma porn tours.
Speaker 2: I am not here as a politician. I am here as a soldier who understands service as a humanitarian, who has seen the human cost of conflict, and as a friend of Ukraine who believes the world must not grow used to this war or numb to its consequences.
Speaker 1: It's kind of sad to see him almost sort of playing dress ups as a royal, isn't it, going to lay wreaths at cenotaphs and showing up, as you say, in war zones Like if I did that, people would think I was insane.
Speaker 4: Look, I think you can kind of understand where Harry is coming from, because when he did kick off his remarks in Ukraine, he did, you know, I'm here as a soldier. And one thing that we all understand about the armed forces, you never ever leave because it is your family, it is your you know, it is basically more than a vocation, and it's do with you for life. So you can understand his passion for that, and we see that through Invictus and things like that. But then when he's standing there saying I don't come as a royal, I don't come as a politician. I come as a humanitarian. It's all very you know, the American buzzwords just keep popping up. He's and he's telling one of his favorite journalists when he's there, I'm here to speak truth to power and you couldn't help it, Ayral thinking you've definitely caught that on the school run in Montecito.
Speaker 2: For sure, this is a moment for American leadership, a moment for America to show that it can honor its international treaty obligations, not out of charity, but out of its own enduring role in global security and strategic stability.
Speaker 4: It just feels a bit icky about what he's sort of doing. He's kind of like the Malcolm Turmbul of Royals. You know, he used to be cool, so influential within the institution of which he helmed, and then it just turned out to be a really big disappointment. Now you know, they're just boring white dudes throwing rocks from their mansions.
Speaker 3: It's just really disappointing.
Speaker 2: Prince Harry, how's he doing?
Speaker 5: How's his wife?
Speaker 2: Please give him my regards? Okay, No, no, I don't know. I know one thing.
Speaker 3: Prince Harry is not speaking for the UK, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I think I'm speaking for the UK more than Prince Harry. But I appreciate his advice, great advice.
Speaker 1: He also started a fight with Donald Trump, and Harry is not silly. He would have known that going to a war zone and essentially criticizing the West and Trump for not having saved Ukraine before now was going to start a fight. And Donald Trump, you know, was happy to play ball. He really criticized Harry quite sharply. And this is someone Trump is a massive monoch. Kirsten royalists. He loves the royal family, he loves the pomp and ceremony. You think you get the field. He was quite late to be king himself. We're just waiting for those means to roll through next week. And again you can just imagine.
Speaker 4: The absolute clutching of pearls that's going on not only in Buckingham Palace from this visit from Harry, but also number ten because don't forget, we've got the state visit from King Charles and Queen Kimilla kicking off to the US within a manner of hours. And the fact that you know, Charles has basically been dispatched to fix everything that Sirkis Starmer has cannot do. It is just it's going to be one for the ages, that's for sure, and it is interesting to see some of the commentators say that maybe this is a trip that, you know, Queen Elizabeth would have canceled. But Charles is sticking to his guns and he's heading over there to the United States after a very fractuous weekend obviously for the President and the administration.
Speaker 5: But we begin with what appears to have been an assassination attempt on the president another one and his top officials in Washington, DC yesterday. Donald Trump has called the accused and sick and described a frightening incident as a moment of unity.
Speaker 3: So it's going to be very interesting.
Speaker 4: I think maybe Harry's comments could be the least of their problems, but definitely for the royal family, it's going to be front and center. I mean, maybe I've got this conspiracy theory that probably I need to add some meat to the bones that Harry is basically being dispatched, this double agent to the royal family, you know, go in there and add some WD forty to an international a very tricky international situation. And then the official royals come in and add the pomp and grandeur and the tiaras and the air kisses with the administration to kind of make things all rosy again. I'm pretty sure the British government and the royal family would like that right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a role that the Queen might not have thought of. It would probably be quite useful and certainly saw Trump absolutely loving being fated at Buckingham Palace, sitting next to Katter and toasting her. She was wearing a gold sort of larmeaie dress, which was very appropriate for him. It looked like the wallpaper at Trump Tower in New York City.
Speaker 4: Totally, it was very much Shamara a Lago meets Sandria. And again this is the genius of the royals. They absolutely knew how to play Trump like a fiddle, knowing full well that he loves, like you said, to be fated and to be treated like king. So watch out what this mean factory could have installed this week. But also on the flip side of that is the darker side to don't forget that there's still this bubbling issue in the US around Harry's visa, because remember when it was disclosed that he used drugs in his memoir, that has sort of been one of the aces in Trump's back pocket when there's ever sort of some criticism around the Royal family or all things like that, but that sort of been put on the back burner by the security department over there. So it's going to be interesting to see when that issue arises, probably within the Daily Mail in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Coming up. How Megan's spinning her wardrobe into passive income. Let's talk about Meghan on the quasi Royal tour of Australia. There were some engagements which were strictly commercial. There were some engagements which were not, like, for example, the visit to a children's hospital.
Speaker 6: This was the first official stop for Harry and Meghan on their Australian too I hear at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne. There was quite a lot of build up well before they arrived, with lots of patients and families and visitors and even staff gathering here in the foyer of the hospital hoping for a chance to see Harry and Meghan and even have a word.
Speaker 1: But those were subsequently commercialized by the launch of her involvement and in fact her part ownership in a platform where you could shop Meghan's wardrobe. Now she is undoubtedly one of the most stylish women in the world. She's a great influence on fashion and you know she's seeing an opportunity there to make some money.
Speaker 5: Can you tell me a.
Speaker 1: Little bit about that platform, How does it work and what does it mean for that line that the Queen drew about everything that the success did being within her Majesty's values.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: I think that would be the one thing that would definitely stick in the late Queen's cross, specifically with the fact that you know, I mean, you see a lot of those fan sites now popping up probably on your Instagram or your or your TikTok accounts, where they sort of highlight exactly what specific royal members of royal families from around the globe a wearing on certain occasions. Meghan has decided that she would like some affiliate links for the affluent. She has sort of spun it the way that she wants to make sure that specific brands that she chooses to wear because she understands her power, her commercial power. They receive the kickbacks and the financial gains from when people go searching for things that she wears in public. But the very difference, the difference part there is that she will also be receiving, as reported by Vogue, I believe between ten and fifteen percent in commission of all those sales. And look, on one hand, it's been amazing because apparently it was an incredible coup when she launched it in Australia, because a lot of local brands such as Mateo, Camilla and Mark received quite a bit of a boost from having her wear they're wears around town. But also I think it's one thing for them to receive, you know, one hundred percent of those profits from when people decide to go online and search for that specific trench code or that specific shirt. But Megan is getting a handy little profit on the side there. But again I guess girl's got to eat. Girls got to bank some money to make your jam.
Speaker 1: The difference with Kasher and when she very consciously wears something by a designer whom she wants to boost is that she doesn't get a cut, but it is incredibly effective. There was a brand called Strathberry of handmade kind of handbags and luggage in the United Kingdom which was little known until she wore a couple of their clutches here and there. That is now a multi multi one hundred million dollar one hundred million pound business in the UK. She single handedly saved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think she also did that with a Hosary brand, much to Meghan's probably disapproval, and also l K Bennett when she burst on the scene shortly after her wedding where she wore the LK. Bennett nude pumps and they are now a bit of a staple for every single, you know, millennial and Oldham gen y woman known to me.
Speaker 1: I've got a pair. I have a pair, even though I'm slightly older than those. You know. I'm a massive fan of the Katherine wardrobe. I even bought a hat that she wants wore to be you know, when they do the procession to church on Christmas Day, she was wearing this cool sort of blue Ford araal which I then bought that would.
Speaker 4: Look it amazing. I am a sucker for a print and I have bought my little ones the replicas of the Jenny K Kowala jumper, the Princess Diana war I think in the late babies, and I wish it fit me.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: We're just doing our part for fashion, keeping the fashion industry alive.
Speaker 3: Yep, well without getting links.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, surely we could monetize this. Now there's a speculation that the main royals, the Prince and Princess of Wales, are going to be coming to Australia on a tour, and speculation I'm seeing in some magazines that the Sussex's visit has kind of accelerated their planning or made it more meaningful for them to come. What do you think about that.
Speaker 4: I think that's very true, and I think that they're probably going to be watching things like opinion polls bubbling away in the background, because we tend to forget that it's not just the royal family, it's those hardcore coterias in the background, which are very much like political animals. They are watching to make sure, you know, when they need to go and sprinkle a little bit of fairy dust on Commonwealth nations, to make sure that they understand that they are still a part of our country, whether some people in the Republican movement like it or not, they're still the heads of state to some varying levels. People that understand and look, I think if you could imagine after the winter, we're probably going to have very uncertain times, the budget is looking pretty bleak, and then all of a sudden, springtime comes and there we have imagined the Prince and Princess of Wales and potentially they could even bring their three children, which would be a massive coup that would probably set social media and the local media and of course their fans alike. If they're on the steps of the Sydney Opper House comes September or something like.
Speaker 1: That, well, I'll start saving up right now because I think I'll be purchasing some sailor suits for my children and you know, yipsid what are they called fascinators for myself.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I'll see you there. I'll bring the parasol.
Speaker 1: Jenny Clark, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thanks for that.
Speaker 1: Jenna Clark is an associate editor with The Australian. You can check out all the latest from Buckingham Palace and Montecito anytime at the Australian dot com dot a yu