Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadiicol Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any first nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait island of people joining us.
Speaker 2: Today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 3: Uh, good morning, Hello, welcome to the Close Friends.
Speaker 4: Actually, Matt, someone complains.
Speaker 2: What about because.
Speaker 1: We're doing a lot of pre records at the moment. Everyone, because while you're while you're listening to this, maps overseas and I might be overseas by this point, I don't know, but we've had to get ahead again. So when we get ahead, we come in and we do like four episodes at a time. And because we're here in the Nova Studios, this is also a radio station, so we only get a certain amount of time in here, and when we've got four to do, we have to go a little bit quicker. And someone complained in our broadcast. They replied to me and said, I hope Close Friends is longer because the last two have been a little bit shorter. It's because we're pre recording.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, So I just.
Speaker 1: Wanted to let everyone know that if they do get shorter, it's because we're on a time limit. We have to get out because the afternoon radio people have to come in.
Speaker 2: And also just quietly, we fucking hate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we want to make it longer, but sometimes we can't. We got to get out.
Speaker 2: I could talk for ages on close friends.
Speaker 1: But we've got to do what we've got to do sometimes. Anyway, I've got an email that's come through. By the way, in case you didn't know, we have an email address that you can email us on, and we read every single one and if your email is good enough, we'll put it in a pod. Yes, only if it's good enough.
Speaker 2: We actually haven't read this one though.
Speaker 1: No, this is our first time reading this.
Speaker 3: We did get this message from one of our scrollars. We both got a DM from her and she said I've sent an email and I really want you to read it.
Speaker 1: And then it ended up in a deleted folder somehow. Yeah, blame Yeah, it's Hannah's fault. She's automatically deleted it. But anyway, we've dug it out of the deleted folder in our emails and we've got it here. I'm gonna leave her name out of it. Completely should I is an anonymous I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think let's just do that because why not. Also, I wanted to say, I don't even remember what this one's about. It's something to do with a wedding. Yeah, okay, so yeah, I didn't read this one neither.
Speaker 4: I haven't read it either.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, so we're both having a first time.
Speaker 1: We've got Hi, Matt and Britney. I was just listening to your recent episode where you were talking about fans sending weddings.
Speaker 4: So this was a while ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where you were talking about fans sending wedding invites with no letter attached, and well it got me thinking about my wedding in June. Now, this email isn't me asking for a gift either. I just want you to know how much I thank the both of you for being one of the main reasons I have such a good friendship with one of my bridesmaids. I work in a pharmacy and during the pandemic we hired a girl who also happens to be named Brittany. We would chat here and there during our shifts, but nothing more. Then one day I mentioned how I watch YouTube videos rather than TV shows and she said she was the exact same. We then asked each other who we watched and both of your names came up. Let's just say we have been besties ever since. We were constantly keeping up with your socials and seeing what was happening, and after a year of knowing each other, we decided to go on a little girl's weekend away to drive three hours to Newcastle to go to the original Fate store. Legit, we didn't make any plans other than to come and see the story person. All this happened in May twenty twenty one. We were stalked, storked, we were stoked walking through the doors to see none other than me working, and she just so happened to take our sales as well. Now, as a general customer point of view, Britt, you're incredible asking if Sizing was working, what we were up to while we were away, and even wrote down places for a good feed and a boogie. You were also so happy to take a photo with us when we asked as we were heading out, and honestly, we still talk about it to this day. Let's fast forward to June twenty twenty one. Australia's biggest Glamizon has started his comedy shows, and you best believe my bestie Britt and Ice snag tickets. Matt, your show was downright hysterical and we couldn't contain our laughter. We also loved how after the show you stayed back to meet anyone and everyone that wanted to have a chat. And here we are feb Twenty twenty five. So that's when she wrote this email. Friendship going strong so much that I was Britney's bridesmaid, not me like her friend Britney's bridesmaid two years ago, and she will be my bridesmaid come June this year.
Speaker 4: And honestly, the two.
Speaker 1: Of you are a huge part as to why we became friend in the first place. So keep doing what you're doing, because I'm sure we are not the only ones you have affected their lives for the better. I've also attached photos of said meeting to put faces to the names. Oh my goodness, can I the photos there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so glad I didn't read that. That was really nice to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this show of yours.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have my eyes. Aren't that good?
Speaker 1: Come over, Come over in my microphone, look at you Matt.
Speaker 2: That is so manny. That's at the comedy store. So they came to the Encore show.
Speaker 1: Love and Me with them back in the bloody day with my old old Fate store when it was like before all its renovations. Isn't that so nice? So nice? That's so nice? Like it's funny doing like this is a job and having a podcast and then like posting on social media, Like it's funny because you're so in your own bubble and like you see people watching your videos and you'll upload a video and it gets three hundred thousand views, but you don't feel like the real life connection because like you're just laying at home in bed replying to the comments. But then to actually hear a story of like both of us being part of someone else's friendship and like a talking point for them when they first met, Like I think that's really fucking special and cool, And we never think that because we're just like doing our thing, doing our job, posting our videos, doing our podcast. You're doing your live shows. I'm working in my fucking shop. Yeah, but isn't that so cool that we've been part of their friendship?
Speaker 3: And it's kind of always blows my mind when I hear stories similar to this, or I have moments where I realize that we can be a part of people's lives beyond the Internet, like my mind goes. The only time people think about me is when they watch one of my videos, when one of my tiktoks come up on on their for you page and they're watching my video, like, that's when they think about me, and as soon as they swipe away, they stop thinking about me.
Speaker 1: I feel that way. It feels.
Speaker 2: That's just how it feels when you think.
Speaker 1: Of other little things, like all the things that we say on the pod that people remember, Like I think if they ever see a poster of the Wizard of Oz or something like, I'm sure they would think of you saying follow the Ollompic road. Like I think there's things or like especially for me, or like even your fucking muscle Nation collab, like when people drink the Great Protein like, they would probably think of you.
Speaker 4: When girls put on their Fate jeans, I probably think of me.
Speaker 2: So true. Every time I think of Colgate, when someone.
Speaker 3: I ever see herbal Essences, I think of you and that bloody random sand dune.
Speaker 1: Educ Cranullas when people go to the serbo and see the b in the fridge, they probably think.
Speaker 3: Of mind, yeah, just things like this kind of keep And this actually happened a lot this year especially is I think I've been reminded by because you know the I think it had to do probably with you know, the Influencer job series that I did that obviously got millions of views across all the platforms and was really big. Then I went straight into the Kylie Minogue thing, and that was a really big thing because remember I was saying on the pod, I did that just for me. But then it kind of became this whole thing and everyone coming up to us at the concerts and things, and then the news articles coming out and.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: But even before the Kylie stuff, it was kind of just that influencer series because a lot of people will say, like, oh my god, like, do people always come up to you and say hello? Yeah, people come up and say hello all the time at the shops. But also that hasn't happened in years, That hasn't happened to the extent that it was happening this year.
Speaker 2: Again, Oh yeah, it was kind of weird. I feel like maybe a pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything felt weird after COVID.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true, Like before the pandemic, I feel like, yes, you go to the shops, A lot of people would say Hi. I'd go into a shop and just like do my shopping, and the cashier would be like, by the way, I love your videos.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, little interactions like that happened quite often. And then I don't know if I just became irrelevant or whether people didn't really care for that or didn't want to have that interaction. After the pandemic, maybe that's shifted. But something has shifted back this year and a lot more people are coming up and saying hello and asking for a photo and all the and I fucking love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: It fuels my ego. I'm like, I'm loving this and I'm always happy to have a chat. Also, I think sometimes I shock people with how much I will chat to them. Obviously sometimes it's a short interaction, but like, if you're giving a good conversation, we could talk for twenty five minutes. I meet this girl and her mum out the front of out the front of the news agent in East Gardens and we're both buying a Powerball ticket because the power Bowl was like one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Million dollars or something that gets me.
Speaker 3: And I had no idea how to do the power hit or whatever on the lotto, and she was just doing her thing and I was doing my thing on the little bench that's always outside the news agent where you can fill out the lotto things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she looked up and she's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I was literally just listening to high scrollers and then she was like, Oh, this is my mum. We're coming to your show. Blah blah blah. I was like, oh my god, that's so cool. We spoke for like twenty five minutes all about the Powerball and how it all worked, and we were helping each other fill out our tickets and she was like, I can't believe you're just like chatting to me. And I'm like, well, yeah, because if.
Speaker 2: You win, i'd like a share.
Speaker 1: Did you say that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I was like and if I win, hit me up in the DMS and I'll give you something because we're buying the ticket together. And anyway, then she came to the show and it was hilarious because I saw her and I went not we didn't win the Power Bowl.
Speaker 2: I'm still in mache.
Speaker 1: Every time it's power Like, I know, we've spoken about this on the pot already, and you've spoken about this on your social media like that one time where you're like, yeah, fucking I'm gonna buy one.
Speaker 4: You genuinely get convinced that you're going to win.
Speaker 1: Like you're like this, yeah, this is my this this is absolutely so does everyone in Australia. But then when you see the one person win, you're like that lucky motherfucker. Yeah, I know, imagine that.
Speaker 2: Well the single mother from Western sidn't he got it all? Well, she deserves you know.
Speaker 3: It's always like a little story like that or like you know someone someone who needs it, Like you never hear about a fucking like it's a billionaires aren't putting a lot of one.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean. You never hear about someone who wins a lot on they didn't need that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always someone who you know, volunteers for the homeless every week or something like that, or it'll go to donations and things. It's always a lovely story.
Speaker 2: There'd be none of that from me, honestly, saw me. What was the other email you wanted to read out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got another email.
Speaker 1: Disclaimer trigger warning. We are talking about Pooh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so is it a metaphobia? Is that what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, get off here if you don't like Pooh stories. Anyway, we've got an anonymous story. As you all know, we love a good Pooh story or we story.
Speaker 2: I think you do.
Speaker 1: I just have and the other Well, last month or something, I was telling the story on here about that one time at school when my teacher missus fight sorry everyone, Missus Spock, when she didn't let me go to the toilet and I like had my period leaking everywhere.
Speaker 4: Anyway, trigger warning.
Speaker 2: Do you remember all your teachers' names, by the way.
Speaker 1: The ones that stood out?
Speaker 4: I remember.
Speaker 3: I can remember every single one, which is crazy. Oh that is it, because I thought about it the other day and was like, wait, a damn.
Speaker 1: Second, I remember a lot. There'd be some that I don't remember, but like the ones that were memorable.
Speaker 3: Yes, kindergarten, Miss Francis, Miss O'Connell, Oh no, I'm not that Miss O'Dwyer. Remember Parker three, Missus Reid, year four, Mister Rattray year five, Miss mcmart Yeah, gorgeous Year five Ms McMahon, Year six missus Reid again funnily enough, Umm oh, I did have Miss Rosebery for a little bit in year five as well, because I think Miss McMahon.
Speaker 4: See, how do you remember this? I only remember some of them.
Speaker 3: And then year seven gets a bit blurred because year seven, obviously you've got ten different teachers for all your subjects and stuff. But I still remember some of them. Miss Cordermaine, she was my Japanese teacher. It's a singleton. She was my English teacher.
Speaker 4: I don't remember anyway. Let me read this out, mister.
Speaker 2: Derry, he was my music teacher.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I'm reading this out anonymous story.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that tangent yet, Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, love your pod, love BRIT's Big Business Pod as well. Have been a longtime follower, listener, etc. For the both of you, and never miss an episode.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Loll not sure if you want you'll want this one. If you do tell it on the pod, please keep me anonymous. But regarding BRIT's period story about her teacher not letting her go to the toilet, same thing happened to me, except with the number two instead of a period so traumatizing.
Speaker 2: Which what do you reckons worse? Pooh, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Okay. I was in year five at school, had a male teacher. We wore dresses at school, and I remember we were going through important info in class. I give the teacher that, but I still agree, don't ever tell a child they can't go to the toilet.
Speaker 4: It's so inhumane.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we were going through important test info in class and I remember putting my hand up for the toilet. Not only did he not address my hand being up straight away because he was talking. When he did address me, I asked to go to the toilet because it was urgent.
Speaker 4: He said, no, you can wait until I'm finished.
Speaker 1: Like, surely if they're saying if they're like it's urgent, surely the teacher should know they're gonna shit themselves.
Speaker 3: And I think it also depends on the student, like if I was the teacher, if like the good behaved student is randomly asking to go to the toilet, like if it's one of the boys who doesn't want to shit.
Speaker 2: Through the rules and so you can all go the toilet it is boring.
Speaker 3: No, you can sit there and you can shut it one's saying it's urgent.
Speaker 1: I have an alarm bells going off in my head.
Speaker 4: About yeah, get the point out here.
Speaker 3: I don't want you to hate yourselves children that we don't have a backbone, because like if the teacher in hindsight told me I couldn't go to the toilet like at this stage, I probably take a shit on their desk, you know what I mean? And I wish I had free will when I was a child and I was refused the toilet because I just woult have pissed in my chair. But you know, see if you're pissing your chair because you've held on, that's embarrassing. But I would have said, I'm pissing right now, miss, and it's all your fault, do you know what I mean? My own and make a statement. I wish I could relive my childhood again.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Anyway, one thing led to another, and I sat at my desk just dying for the toilet for a number two and was just frozen because I was too scared to just get up and go. When he said he told me so, I sat there and followed through, if you know, you know.
Speaker 2: Followed through.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it was that bad thought.
Speaker 4: A tiny bit just came.
Speaker 1: Out, but you could start to smell it, sick. My classmates could smell it, and we're starting to make fart and shit comments. And my teacher even had the nerve to stop talking about his important info to say, whoever that needs to go outside and shake themselves, shake themselves. Then I put my hands straight back up and death stared him really hard and asked to go to the toilet again. At this point, nearly the whole class was looking at me, including my teacher, with the jaw hitting the floor. Anyway, he let me go because he finally clicked on it was on my chair, on my dress. And why can't I see the rest? I can't see the rest for some reason. It's not loading in my emails. But I can remember what she said at the end, because I've already read this once before. She ended up going to the sick bay. They gave her a fresh change of clothes, They called her mom or her parents, they came and got her, and then she ended up getting an apology from the teacher and the principal and stuff because they realized.
Speaker 4: What had gone on.
Speaker 1: So that is redemption had has got the rest of.
Speaker 4: The email wouldn't load for me.
Speaker 5: It up here, she said, Yeah, she went to the bathroom, got spare clothes, all that stuff her parents collected her. I didn't go back to school for two two weeks. My parents blew up at the school and I received an apology call from my classroom teacher. Safe to say, I never got told I couldn't go to the toilet again, but the damage was already done at this point. But yeah, so crazy, Thanks for bringing up that memory.
Speaker 2: Sorry you had to live that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's horrible. Well you got redemption in the end, but it's still bad that you had to live through that experience.
Speaker 3: And I still stand by my statement, who gives a shit if well, yes she did give a shit in the end. But if you're a teacher, why can't kids just go to the toilet?
Speaker 1: Because I understand that they would get asked one hundred times every class and that would piss me the fuck off, Like I'd be like, couldn't you have just gone in recess that you just had? But also people just like sometimes when you need to go, you just need to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, especially if you're going to shit yourself.
Speaker 3: But also at recess. I didn't need to go. Yeah, but also it is okay in a teacher's defense. Something that I always think about is flights. When you sit down on a flight and as soon as the seat belt signed it is off bomb six people are up and crowded the toilet ready to go.
Speaker 2: To the toilet.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we did, we really need to go, So in that respect, I mean, I'd never obviously refuse someone to go to the toilet. But what I'm saying is that happens a lot. Have you not noticed that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, flight, like go.
Speaker 1: You can go.
Speaker 4: I remember another time too.
Speaker 1: It might have been the time that I was on top like the Thailand stories that I told trigger morning vomiting, when I was really sick on that plane coming home from Thailand. You know when the plane is like taking off and you have to stay seated with your seat belt. I was so sick that like I couldn't stay seated, so I just took my belt off and ran up the back of the plane. They're like no, no, no, like you can't, and I'm like I don't care, Like I just ran in the toilet because I was like, I can't have to go. So when you got to go.
Speaker 2: You go a guar, you know, gonna guard, and you know what I gotta guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta gar.
Speaker 2: I gotta go tour.
Speaker 3: For I. We'll see you next Tuesday.