Speaker 1: Apoge Production.
Speaker 2: I'm Mickey Fisher and welcome to the Village Crazy Lady. People are talking to me and they are not physically in this room, so just strap in for that. Can't call me crazy, so I said it first. Whoever's trying to come through, whatever messages need to come through, like, just bring it on.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Crazy Crazy Crazy The Village Crazy Lay Podcast. Hey Gordeous Legends, and welcome to another episode of the.
Speaker 3: Village Crazy Lady.
Speaker 2: Last episode, I was talking to Sheridan Austin and we were talking all about food and intuition, and because we spoke so much, we really needed to break it up into two episodes. So we're just about to kick it off into Sheridan's about to tell us her story, why she got into what she's doing, and everything she went through to get to where she is now.
Speaker 4: So when I remember this pivotal time in my life, it's gonna it sounds like it's gonna be really like such an amazing story. However, what happened was I had this moment of realizing, Wow, I should be eating fats. They're actually really good for me, and saturated fats perfect fine toss.
Speaker 1: The Margarine, get rid of it, get rid of your vegetable oils.
Speaker 4: Once I realized this, I went and bought pork crackle, a couple of rhines, like just the pork crackle.
Speaker 1: Crapple crapple pork crackle, Ryan.
Speaker 3: So you can do that.
Speaker 2: You can go to your butcher, you can just ask for that. And I know you're not a big pork person, so yeah, not if you're me, but if you're if you're a if you're a pig eater, if you're a do you eat bacon, Yeah, it has to be super doo dooper crispy.
Speaker 3: But I like bacon now. But that took me a.
Speaker 2: Lot time crackle because that's super dup crispy.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Pork to me smells too picky.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, but we're moving past, you know, rules and things like that, so well, it's not a rule, darling. If that's your intuition, like, that's okay, Well that's true, it is my my intuition, like it's not to pork. Really, yeah, that is absolutely fine, gorgeous, Okay, as long as you're not listening to noise me and trying to force you to eat pork. Okay, you're not like how I tried to eat patai and I was like, Sheridan, I cannot eat this ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, well you do need this ne's forage.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I like sat there with two rinds of pork crackle. They're quite large, and I demolished it. So they're not young for me, for you, for me demolished.
Speaker 2: And I remember so clearly sitting there looking at my partner going like are you finished? Like why aren't you eating anymore?
Speaker 4: But it's because my hormones, my gut, my brain was screaming at me, and my partner at the time probably hadn't been going or thinking like oh I shouldn't eat too much fat, and probably wasn't avoiding as much as what I was.
Speaker 2: At that time in my life. So my body was screaming.
Speaker 4: So now you put a you know, a couple of rides of port krackline from me, I'm just gonna have a few pieces, like I'm good, I'm done. You don't need a whole pick exactly, because my body is sufficed like I'm eating it throughout my life always, like all the different types and varieties of fats, right, so, and the thing is is with what comes with intuition is the particular nutrients that you're receiving from the food, which is really critical. So we really need fats for our brain, We really need fats for our hormones. And so many people have, you know, hormdal imbalances these days, whether it be mentally or showing up in your menstrual cycle or your skin, or other nutrient deficiencies which are like showing up in also different ways, like vitamin D, vitamin K, you know, not very good mineralization of your teeth because we need K vitamin K for that, which is a fat soluble vitamin cetera, et cetera. So that's your body communicating. However, there's a big however here, because when we have all foods available to us these days, and it's not living off a field, we are exposed to so many other foods that maybe we should think twice about and not necessarily go is this a craving or is it true intuition. Intuition still does tell you probably shouldn't be eating seven donuts like really, However, so there's a difference between craving and intuition because sometimes people have really bad imbalances in their gut where they might have overgrowths where it whether it be yeast overgrowth or parasite overgrowth or bacterial overgrowth. Communicating with your brain via your vegas nerves, sending little postcodes, postcodes, postcards up there going hate, Can you please eat that very easily accessible glucose in that doughnut right now? So I can be fed real quick and then reproduced rapidly. However, we do need to kind of draw the line there and go, hey, mate, I am bigger than you, a bugger in my gut, and I'm going to have to really listen to my deep intuition there and override that craving. So that goes the same with gluten. So for example, there is people do suffer gluten addiction or wheat addictions because it creates this morphine effect it's called gluciomorphines that we can be experiencing when we are consuming these sorts of things. So it's creating this like addictive kind of like calm. It creates like a calm state and like, ah, I've got my fixed state.
Speaker 2: So like having a path of a joint for something, Yeah, you're.
Speaker 4: Kind of more I'd say more like a cocaine, like a dopamine like LYFT, but it doesn't last a long time, so then you want more, and then you want more, and then you want more. So then when so that same thing with sugar, So sugar and things like gluten and of course like MSG which is in processed foods. It makes me more and more and more with that kind of stuff. It's really helpful to have knowledge. We need to pair intuition, culture and tradition and knowledge because we're in this weird, fed up world now where there's a lot of things that we haven't previously been exposed to. And this is why when someone says eat everything in balance, for some people that can be really challenging on their health but also their mental state because then they're battling this addiction constantly, which is frustrating.
Speaker 1: I have been there.
Speaker 4: I have suffered serious addictions to sugar and wheat. Where it can sit there and eat cheese and bacon, cheese and bacon rolls, yes, yeah, phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I used to be a slut for those and I didn't even eat bacon. To pick the bacon, yeah, I literally I used to pick the bacon off.
Speaker 1: Because you were a lot player based and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, yeah, well I just didn't. I never, even as a kid, I didn't eat meat. And it's interesting because I was that. I'm that person who like when I fell pregnant and I'd gone my whole life going like no, my body honestly like doesn't need meat.
Speaker 3: I don't crave it. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. And I don't even remember why I didn't like it. I think it was just when I was young, it just became it became a control, which a lot of it for a lot of us, it is it's like, you know, like you can control. It was something in my life that I could control. I could control my eating. I could control that when I said I didn't want meat, And for me, that was an autonomous decision. It was me getting to have autonomy, which I think it's really interesting like even when we you know, when you delve into relationships with food and all of these sorts of things like asking the why and even like exploring.
Speaker 3: The like where did it come from? Well why did I decide that? Or like is it?
Speaker 1: And C made this decision for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What life experience made this decision? For me totally, And that's why pairing it with knowledge can be helpful.
Speaker 2: Knowledge from the right people, that's the thing, well, and that's exactly right, and from people who feel like who feel like they're empowering you and not taking away from you even like as far as you know, listening to your intuition. I think I've mentioned this exercise on the podcast before, but I always talk about you can ask your body yes and nose, so like bypassing the gut, okay, we're not talking to we're not talking to the bugs or the monkeys or whatever live that we live inside of our gut lining, but like our actual intuition. So it's basically like using yourself as a pendulum. And it's something that I mentioned to people when they're first like really connecting to their intuition. And because a lot of the time people go, I don't know which is my tuition and which is my head and which is just an anxious thought or an intrusive thought or at this, and I go, okay, we'll take a really like just take a few big deep breaths, close.
Speaker 3: Down your eyes.
Speaker 2: And I mentioned this because this helped me a lot when I was trying to navigate my own food journey and trying to quiet the noise outside of me and understand what I was really wanting. And so what you do is you close your eyes and you need to try this a fair few times to really listen into your body and what it tells you. And you say, show me you know, and then you like, just listen, how does my body feel when I say show me you know? Do I feel tense? Do I feel anxious? Do I feel a little bit unwell? And like, you know, try and get out of your head as much as possible, because sometimes we can start to tell ourselves stories or why.
Speaker 3: Am I not doing this? Why am I not thinking that? Why am I not feeling this?
Speaker 2: Just ask your body show me you know, and just be interested to see how it reacts. Then I ask it to show you a yes, and then again be interested to show how it responds. For me, my no is very like it's almost like I see black and I feel tense, and I can just like it's like this feeling of like I just want I feel repulsed.
Speaker 3: When I feel.
Speaker 2: Yes, I get shivers, I feel open, and I use feel your energy flow. Yeah, I feel my energy flow and I feel my and that's me listening to my body and listening to my intuition, and my intuition going oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, I feel really good about that.
Speaker 4: So I guess it's becoming familiar with those yess and the nose. And then you can also bring that towards whatever might be in front of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I literally would.
Speaker 2: It's almost like be doing kinesiology on your body as well, Like it's like literally using yourself as a tool. And so I would bring that into like does my body want such and such or does my body really want blah blah blah. I used it a lot in pregnancy too, because I would be like, my body wants great mentos. My body wants you know, but my body is telling me.
Speaker 3: And I didn't listen to it all the time, Yeah, because I just went.
Speaker 2: No, if I don't get a great mentos in my mouth, I will fucking run someone over. But it's like, you know, not wow to running people over, not wow to that either, and not well like that you really really wanted that, But that's just a really weird thing to crave.
Speaker 1: I think for.
Speaker 4: Oh my yes, it could be the sweetness, all the freshness, or the I don't know for some reason, but I like this is just another example of just listen to your body. Okay, yeah, yeah yeah, because okay, pregnant women, the classic thing to crave is chippies.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, hot chips, corn chips, hot chips, usbee chips, the plain.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but.
Speaker 4: The big thing is to me with the knowledge that I like reflect on is the salt and the fat.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, salt, fat taty.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, the potato is a bit bland.
Speaker 3: You know, you got the salt on there.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got the fat there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: This is where the knowledge also is really beautiful to have in this disgusting day and age.
Speaker 1: That we're in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we're surviving through because the salt isn't what it used to be. Fat isn't what it used to be. Who knows about the tato. But however, when.
Speaker 2: We can just do our best with the tady, we just just leave the humble tato.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the fat salt. Okay, so, oh god, salt.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about.
Speaker 1: Salt, because salt is actually such.
Speaker 4: A beautiful, very crucial thing for all of us, so much like it's it's just it's always been really important, but I feel like it's becoming more and more important, and especially the more I learned. So salt is actually really mineral rich, Like we require minerals for everything to be done in our body, and we require sodium itself. However, what we've done to the salt now today is we've stripped it of minerals, so we have sodium chloride. That's what we're left with. Like table salt is salt. Yeah, it's like sodium chloride. That's a couple of minerals. Nothing else has all been stripped. However, when we eat something like sea salt or Celtic sea salt or even Himalayan salt that's got the minerals within it still that our body is truly craving. So pregnant women, we need heaps of salt. Our blood volume, our water volume is increasing dramatically, and we're needing it for all these things that we're doing right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like limb making and sin.
Speaker 2: Making, eyeball forming. We really do need them and need the salt, and we need that extra magnesium that also in salt as well. So when we're stressed physically or mentally, we require more salt. Think about the classic symptoms when we're actually inflamed, it's actually a sign we need.
Speaker 1: A little bit more salt.
Speaker 3: Oh gorgeous.
Speaker 4: Yes, when our dreamals are overworked and like pumping, like going through stressful times again physically or mentally, we really need to replenish those minerals and that's coming through salt, but good salt.
Speaker 2: So basically, if you're listening to this podcast, walk away, just lick some good salt all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I actually do too.
Speaker 2: See I'm a slut for salt, and salt is something is so intuitive, like we really our salt change a salt taste and wants change when you're eating real food and not like salt mixed with a bit of MSG. Your salt requirements are really speak to you. And say with protein as well, it's really hard to overdo things like when you're eating meat, right, Yeah, it's it really hard to just like overindulge in that because your body is like hey.
Speaker 1: Cool, I'm done. Yeah, And that goes the same as salt. And then fat.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we've talked about how important fat is, but particularly for pregnant women, it's like your body will never communicate more than when you're pregnant, right, and so kind of like really tap into that intuition because it is critical. So when you're craving those chippies, go eat the fat and the salt and the chippy like the potato, but try and just get it from the better sauces or at least if you're going to eat that, then then catered to the actual needs later.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Eat hot chips from the fish and chip store, but then go home and like just like have a chunk of butter some salt. Yes, And the reason why fat might not be as great from that local fish and chip shop is because they generally use hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is genetically modified seeds, and then they add hydrogen bonds to the vegetable because it's not actually a solid fat, so they make it solid chemically and then that really stuffs up cell.
Speaker 1: To sell to communication within your body.
Speaker 4: It's not actually providing what you need so and it provides inflammation at the same time, So don't do that. We don't need any more chunky ankles than what we've got so during pregnancy, so yeah, go have that lard, Go have that coconut, oh gee, whatever it is, or poorl cracker, et cetera.
Speaker 2: It's so because when I fell pregnant, that's when I started eating meat. And I remember when I was studying nutrition at university and being in lectures where I was told how good fat is for you, how good meat.
Speaker 3: Is for you, And at this stage I gave you permission. No, it's still didn't.
Speaker 2: I still was sitting there going no. But that's like my body. My body doesn't my body, you know, everyone, everyone's bodies are different, and my body doesn't need my body doesn't need meaty.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why I was so a touch this story fish. I was pescatarian for a bit, but then I dabbled in raw veganism and all these other things. Interestingly enough, did have a lot to do with the people around me too. Mine was a combination of one. It was a control of It was one thing in my life I felt like I had control over and also who was around me because I worked at like a raw vegan. I managed a raw vegan cafe for a while, So then if I dabbled in meat around those people, my lord, I just felt like the biggest shit head ever those people eat meat now, they all eat meat.
Speaker 3: Now you know that.
Speaker 2: But when I fell pregnant and I always made jokes, I was like, I bet you I'll fell pregnant and I was like, that's when I'll want to eat meat. I remember like making roast lambs and things for Chris because I really liked to cook, and I was like, fuck, I would love to get that in my face. I had to go and get like healings, get kinesiology done because I couldn't put.
Speaker 3: It in my mouth.
Speaker 2: My body was like salivating for it. Yeah, it's like this trauma response or something. It was. It was it was connected to like Atrallo Mayspons thing and again the control And so when I started eating it, I have literally I spent my whole life being insanely an emic.
Speaker 3: Like would pass out.
Speaker 2: I just thought like blacking out twelve times a day was completely normal.
Speaker 3: I would pass out most days.
Speaker 2: And then I was like started eating meat, and I was like, is this how you're supposed to feel? Even my weight just felt consistent my body, how I felt like my energy levels like and I craved fat.
Speaker 3: I think I've said this year before.
Speaker 2: I'm like chez I will just like my body thrives off fats of good fats yea. And then this craving for once you give yourself that permission and truly listen in, that craving can last a couple of years to replenish. Because even within the fresh years of my journey, I was happy.
Speaker 1: I would happily eat gee of the spoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: But now I really don't feel like I need it.
Speaker 4: I'm putting it in everything I yea have I have it everywhere, But yeah, I don't feel that my body is not like, oh, I've been deprived of that for so long.
Speaker 1: Give me it off the spoon type thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, And that's how I felt. I've felt like for years, pretty much the whole like a thousand years that I was pregnant consistently and breastfeeding.
Speaker 3: All I wanted, yeah, was fat.
Speaker 4: It's because also you're lifting up those nutrients in the meantime again, those fat sole vitamins, that vitamin ad NK, which are critical to manufacture a baby.
Speaker 2: So manufacture a baby, that's what the storks, that's what they do. They manufacture the baby, and you send the nutrients up to them so that they can make.
Speaker 1: Them good analogy.
Speaker 4: So just reflecting on you and your cravings wanting that meat, right, I just want to provide the knowledge behind it of why your body was really.
Speaker 1: Screaming for it at this point in your pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I feel like when we have this noise around us, it blocks us from accepting that intuition. But when we pair that intuition with a little bit of knowledge again, it can provide that intuition and acceptance and permission.
Speaker 1: To go for it.
Speaker 4: So why because when we eat protein and or from meat sauces, we're not only getting the protein, we're also getting the iron, the b vitamins, the zinc in really bioavailable forms. So there's a lot of misinformation out there that you can really easily get these sorts of things from plant sources or supplements. However, unfortunately nature has really arranged things to not work like that. We need, unfortunately, to get them from meat sauces most of the time. So for example, from iron, you can get he from meat sources. You can only get non hem i from plant sources. The bioavailability, so the digestion, absorption and actually usability within the body is so different very low percentage, very high percentage of being able to use it and digest, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So that is actually going to lift your nutrients. It's not.
Speaker 4: Actually it's not just playing games when we're just eating it from the plant sources, it's just touching the surface. B vitamins is the same, particularly B twelve. Our body really needs that, particularly for energy, clarity, cognition, lack of anxiety, lack of heart palpitations. So we need that in order to and we'll crave it from the meat sources because.
Speaker 1: That's the real source of it.
Speaker 4: I could pretty confidently say you can't get the density within meat anywhere else. And again zinc is another part of that too, Like plant sources can be can have some zinc in it, but again the usability.
Speaker 1: Is so low.
Speaker 4: So basically meat can be a very.
Speaker 1: Easy way for us to access this.
Speaker 4: Incredible pocket of nutrients for us so and then liver. The big reason I included in forage because I'm constantly asked, will we bring out plant based version or a vegan version or a vegetarian version of foraged My answer is always compassionately no, with love, absolutely not, because there's no other food I know of on the planet that has the likeful like nutrient density as liver does, so grand for gram it's one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. So for example, and yes, liver can be a strong taste just bypass that intuition there.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, just when it when you taste it, but I don't see like when I have it in forage, like I don't taste it. Yes, but also like if you're pregnant or yes, when I was pregnant, I did struggle. I used to capsulize it myself. Remember I do remember that. That's a lot of effort, darling. Thankfully we have capsules now for that time. So yeah, so you do have that option.
Speaker 4: But also just by reflecting on your blood testing results, right, like if you are struggling to know what your intuition is talking about, again, pair it with that knowledge and go get your blood's done and see what's happening within your body and cap to it, and then you might not know how good you could feel totally.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the other side of that, because right we've just talked about how good meat is. Meat is so great, but then there's the other side of the coin right where there's a lot of noise around.
Speaker 1: It's too good being.
Speaker 2: A caveman and being the carnival diet, and how veggies are bad for you and how you shouldn't eat vegetables because they're poisonous, and like, let's just settle some things on that noise.
Speaker 4: Okay, So as you already understand, my biggest inspiration.
Speaker 2: Is culture and tradition. Within culture and tradition, we've always prepared vegetables and plants as we should have, soaking, fermenting, boiling, etc. Or removing particular parts of plants as well.
Speaker 1: And what that does is it.
Speaker 4: Can go from a not so great food to a really bloody fabulous food that can be digested and absorbed the nutrients within it really well and effortlessly. So there is this concept that we have to avoid all of those in order to heal. In some cases, some people may have such sh damaged guts that they may benefit from that for.
Speaker 1: A period of time.
Speaker 4: However, it does not mean that is their life goal or like their life sentence, sorry to be on account of a diet. Look at if you only feel okay on meats, you need to go, well, what's wrong with me because I should tolerate those things.
Speaker 1: And it's not like what's wrong with me?
Speaker 4: It's more like, okay, thanks, but what do I need to do in order to tolerate these things? Because I should be able to eat them. Firstly, I would go, all right, well, if you're not tolerating that, then see how it should actually be prepared. So it might be a fermentation, it might be a soaking of that food. Another example is in Italy, one of their big staples is boiled spinach, and I when I was in Italy, I was like, this is so cool to me because it's just like a clear example of preparing things right. And that dish has been there for probably thousands of years because they just know now we boil it before we consume it. So but the noise out there is that oxalates are bad for us, and spinach is a high oxalate food. However, when you boil spinach, it goes into the water and it's no longer high oxalate food. So that's what really grinds me when they're like, you're consuming toxins, It's like, well, no, if you just actually prepared it as our great the grandparents taught us. Then you very Italian, Lushian or something else, then you'd probably be able to tolerate it really beautifully fermentation. So, for example, foraged I was not going to settle with not fermenting portion of those ingredients. My husband, Sean is like, hates me because I'm so attached to the fermentation process.
Speaker 2: And that's because it's so expensive. It's so expensive to ferment these ingredients. But I will not take a shortcut when I'm consuming it every single day. My children are and Ronda, Joanne and Harry are too, and Mickey, yeah, and Micky. So in order to actually digest it, absorb it and as similar those nutrients and actually enhance the nutrients in the process, we ferment it. It's interesting how you keep talking about like and this is what I love about your philosophy, is this concept of like of the ancestral and like going back and like looking at how culturally things have sort of been done, because I mean, if you think about it.
Speaker 3: All they had was their intuition.
Speaker 2: All they had was like their intuition and the knowledge that they had at the time too, and going off like oh well we ate this, we tried this, this is this is all that we had on the land that we had, this is what we had available to us. And so we realized that if we just ate that raw, then it made us feel like this, if we fermented it, if we cooked it, if we did this, and if we ate that and so the only gauge that they ever had was how they felt. And so it is a really beautiful thing. I think to like, look at it that way and look at food that way. And I know for me that was like one of the biggest healing things of going like, well, what's making my body feel good? And like I know, even with my kids, something that I always say to them and even to myself to simplify it, right, because it can become really overwhelming, especially when you're trying to educate kids in a way where they still have this gorgeous relationship with food, they don't feel afraid of it. But I always just say to them, we're made of the earth. Because we are we're humans, We're made of the earth, and so when we eat food from the earth, our body feels really good. Because we're made of earth, so we need earth. So the more earth that we eat, and the more that we eat from the earth, the better we feel. And I even think that that can be applied to like adults as well, you know, when we think of it like that, and like then you know, start to really even discover our own and social roots. And you know, just in general, like people who like so connected to the earth and so connected to the lend, they can teach us so much about food and because they honor it more than we do. For us, it's so easy, it's so accessible, it's so there. We just grab whatever's available, We grab whatever's there, and also like taking into account, you know, privilege and what we have capacity for, and like obviously it's so amazing that there are foods that we can access really quickly and there are great services that provide you know, food that's accessible. If you're a single mum and you're working three bloody jobs to raise your kids and like you know, you might not have the time, the money or anything else. So like take all of this, like take knowledge, take your intuition, and then just apply it.
Speaker 3: To your life.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much as for coming in and chatting. I know we could talk about this for forty years, which we've already gone.
Speaker 3: This is a two episode of Thank You beautiful and everyone have a gorgeous week.
Speaker 2: Bye.