Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, July eighth, twenty twenty six. The Bank of Mum and Daddy's closing up shop. Family guarantees have halved for first home buyers since the Federal budget in May shook up asset tax treatment and buyers fear owing more than their dwellings are worth. That's an exclusive life now at Viaustralian dot com dot a U. Australia China relations are at a significant low after a Chinese submarine launched a nuclear capable intercontinental ballistic missile in the South Pacific, and Anthony Albanezi accused Beijing of a provocative act that undermined regional peace. Today, the journal who broke the story before the missile was even fired, Ben Packham, joins us from the Solomon Islands. Ben Packham is The Australian's Foreign Affairs and Defense correspondent. He's joining me from honi Ara, but on Monday Ben was in Fiji when he broke an incredible story.
Speaker 2: China's military has conducted a test launch of a ballistic missile with a dummy warhead in the South Bazific Ocean.
Speaker 1: Then tell me what you heard about the Chinese military and how you broke this ye on.
Speaker 3: Thanks Claire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, sometime after the signing of the new Ocean of Peace alliance between Australia and Fiji, I heard from a contact that China had issued warnings to regional governments through its embassies that it was going to conduct a test of a nuclear capable missile within twenty four hours of that warning, which was roughly twelve noon Eastern time on Monday. And I thought, holy heck, this is quite a big story, and both immediately set to work.
Speaker 3: Trying to find additional sourcing because there was.
Speaker 4: No way that I was going to report on a single source a story of that magnitude. So I actually pretty quickly managed to get a second and even a third source, so countries around the region that received this warning, and they were busily kind of consulting amongst themselves, their warnings were just sort of filtering through a number of countries political systems. And managed to get that additional sourcing and was able to write the story for the Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it had a huge impact straight away, of course, it went straight to the top of our website, our readers started consuming it eagerly. It was interesting to me Ben that China had gone to the trouble of alerting foreign governments that they were about to do this. Is that what you'd normally expect when they're going to do something like fire a test missile.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's good practice to do so they've got to get people out of the way and that sort of thing. And you know, if you do something like that by surprise, you know, people get pretty upset, and indeed the region will be and you know Australia and New Zealand, Japan and Taiwan have all expressed concerns about this.
Speaker 1: Here's Anthony Albanezi on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: We don't want to see any action that is destabilizing well, which undermines the peace security instability of the Pacific and the region. And there is no doubt that this is a provocative act by China which does destabilize the region.
Speaker 4: But certainly China did provide that early warning. They said that it would be within twenty four hours. As it happened, I think it was just roughly two hours after those.
Speaker 3: Warnings come through.
Speaker 4: This missile test is not something that can happen overnight, so it's quite likely.
Speaker 3: This has been planned for a long time.
Speaker 4: There was a submarine that launched it from somewhere in the South China Sea, so look, preparations.
Speaker 3: Were obviously underway. But I do believe and.
Speaker 4: Meaning analysts back that the timing was also unmistakably a warning to the region and to Australia and all of these Pacific partners that has been signing up to security agreements that China is very unhappy and that it is great military power and it will not be sort of contained its strategic aspirations won't be curtailed by Australia and specific partners.
Speaker 1: We're very used to China flexing its muscle in the South China Sea. This is the South Pacific ben which I think we and Fiji and the Solomons would regard as our patch. Does this tell us something different about the way China regards the South Pacific.
Speaker 4: Well, China has a big Blue Order Navy. They see themselves as a great military power to rival the United States. The US is, obviously has been post Second World War, the dominant military power, and the Pacific China is increasingly challenging US military supremacy in this region, and it's saying that it can reach deep into the region, and that that's something that the region you really needs to take note of.
Speaker 1: Penny Wong said straight away that she regarded this as an active destabilization in the region.
Speaker 6: This proposed test is in the context of a rapid military built up by China, which is lacking in the transparency and reassurance as to intent that the region expects.
Speaker 1: Is that right, though, Ben, I mean, we're pretty used to the region being a bit of a contest between China and Australia. Is this just confirmation of what we already actually knew?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's a step above that.
Speaker 4: The last time China did a fight an ICB in the Pacific was in twenty twenty four, but before that there had not been one since nineteen eighty, so it's very rare. And you know, this is a very powerful capability. It's a nuclear capable missile. It had a dummy warhead, but it's a sort of unmissible advertisement or illustration of its military power.
Speaker 1: This was the message from Beijing following Monday's test fire.
Speaker 2: Well, China has responded to concerns about its latest missile test by telling countries not to read too much into it.
Speaker 1: So this has all happened while Anthony Albanesi is on a tour of the South Pacific, signing a defense pact in Fiji and visiting other islands. What is the purpose of the visit and how much does this kind of derail that or prove its point.
Speaker 4: Well, look, it's been a big Pacific trip for Anthony Albanzi and in fact we're just on the second day that in suv on Monday, he signed a very significant military treaty with Fiji. That is a mutual defense treaty. So it's a bona fide alliance which requires the parties to act to meet the common danger should either of them be attacked.
Speaker 5: These treaties represent one of the most significant endeavors Australia has ever undertaken in our history with any country.
Speaker 4: Now this makes Fiji Australia's fourth ally and we are Fiji's first military ally, and so it's a really big deal. The Prime Minister Anthony Elbanezi, it's his second alliance that he's signed in the space of a year.
Speaker 3: The last one was with Pappany Guinea.
Speaker 4: The Pook treaty which comes into effect on Wednesday, when he and James Marapei, Prime Minister of Puppeny Guinea, will exchange some diplomatic letters.
Speaker 7: The agreement sets out to better integrate the Australian and Papua New Guinea defense forces and even allows each to recruit troops from the other country.
Speaker 4: But in the meantime, we are in Solomon Islands where Anthony Albernizi is attending Independence Day celebrations. Here he's had a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Matthew Wahla and they've discussed comprehensive bilateral treaty that they want to sign by the end of the year, and no doubt they will have discussed Pm Wilay's push for a region wide security agreement with Australia. Now that's something that is going to really upset China, particularly as the suggestion is coming from Solomon Islands, which not so long ago was very cozy with Beijing. You remember Manassa Saga Varo signed a security treaty with Beijing about six years ago and Solomon Islands was one of the closest South Pacific island nations to China. That's been flipped since Matthew Waalay's coming to power. He was very anti China. Simon Islands and China will maintain healthy bilateral relations, but he's really looking to Australia to provide that security support, in particular policing support. You may remember the Chinese police here have been training local police but also getting out into the community, and the last year at the Pacific Island Forum, I reported that it was actually fingerprinting villages and getting them to sign household registration cards, all in the name of sort of community policing. Now that sort of thing might be fine in China, but it's really quite out of the.
Speaker 3: Ordinary in the Pacific, in any democratic country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's Australia's level of influence now? I mean, how do we make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen anymore in countries where the word ally is very We are now allies of these countries. We're offering to come and defend them if they get attacked. What's our pool here?
Speaker 4: I would say that Australia has been quite clever in the way it has worked through the Pacific Forum, but also bilaterally.
Speaker 3: We have very healthy relationships at the moment.
Speaker 4: Possibly the one relationship that is less healthy and more conducive to China is care of Us. It's probably China's closest friend in the region at the moment.
Speaker 3: Vanihatu.
Speaker 4: We recently signed a very hard one policing and economic agreement with Vanihatu, but that was very difficult to get and you know, Vanihasa has sort of been on the fence in terms of which country to really side within this sort of strategic contest, still sort of sitting on the fence. It didn't give Australia everything it wanted in that security agreement. We wanted a rite of veto over foreign investments in its critical infrastructure. We didn't get that, but it did pledge that none of its ports, airports or anything like that would be militarized and it would consult with Australia on key infrastructure investments by other countries.
Speaker 1: Just finally, Ben, what's the price Australia's paying for these deals in terms of visa access, working rights, maybe even recruitment to our military for people from the Pacific Islands.
Speaker 3: It's a big price.
Speaker 4: It costs a lot of money to do anything in the Pacific. The distances of vast the needs are great. It will cost billions and billions over time. The recently signed Fiji alliance is a billion dollars over ten years.
Speaker 3: Multiply that by well. Pup in New Guinea is a huge financial commitment for US.
Speaker 4: We're supporting the NRL partnership and their military and all sorts of things.
Speaker 3: So look, you know this is very costly, but it's.
Speaker 4: Very important strategically for Australia's place in the region to be this sort of linery partner, particularly primary security partner.
Speaker 1: Ben Packham, I'll let you get back to the rest of the tour. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Paul ben Packham is The Australian's Foreign Affairs and Defense correspondent. You can check out his scoops anytime at the Australian dot com dot au