Speaker 1: I get a team. Welcome back. It's been three days since I've sat in this chair. Melissa. I feel like I've been on because you make me do so much work, and last week I recorded fourteen That's right. It's essentially slave labor here everyone. She is a tyrant. I know you think she's all bloody Mary Poppins and love and light and Jesus and unicorns. It's a fucking ruse. She's a beast. She works me tirelessly and I had two days off. I was in Brisbane and you'd think when you go to Brisbane. Sorry, Melissa, I'll come to you. You think when you would go to Brisbane you might get sunshine and my torrential rain for two days. But enough about me. Shout out to all of our friends and listeners and relatives who are doing it hard at the moment in the middle of the floods. Love and hugs to you. It's terrible what's going on, but hopefully there's an end to it. So Melissa, Hi, Hello, how did your date with doctor Alex go?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Doctor Alex and I and those of you who know Dr Alex Koeman is a neurosurgeon. He's been on the show a bunch, and he and I went on a date to the Brisbane Entertainment Center. Not really a date, just two dudes hanging out watching Professor Brian Cox talk about astronomy and cosmology in the fucking universe. And it's fair to say Melissa and Charlie who will say lo to in a moment, I was the dumbest person in the room. I know, fuck all about the universe, fuck all about black holes. And if I'm being honest, I probably came away more confused than in life.
Speaker 2: Were you just wanting then, not in your head pretending that you understood what was happening.
Speaker 1: I just had my shoulders shrugged. I had this emoji for two hours. You know everyone the hands in the air, shoulder shrugging. That was essentially I was the human form of that. Charlie Morley speaking of big deals, Charlie Morley is a big deal, high mate, Yeah, very good. Do you know obviously British show. I guess you know who Professor Brian Cox is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a big deal here. Well it's a big deal everywhere, isn't he But yeah, he's very proud of him.
Speaker 1: He's a gun. I was sitting around, and I was thinking, apart from the stuff that he shares, which is I was going to say literally mind blowing, it's not. It's metaphorically mind blowing, because if it was literally mind blowing, that'd be a fucking messy event. But I was sitting around thinking, how do thousands and how does a dude from the other side of the world in Brisbane get I think it was three and a half or four thousand people, and that's not the biggest And he did in another one earlier in the day. Thousands of people show up. You know you're going okay when you can do that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, he's smashing it. Yeah, And you know he's used to this stage stuff because he was in a moderately successful band, British like pop band, which is nice. He was like keyboard player. I can't remember the band was, but I swear a keyboard player. And then no one hears from him for like two decades. He comes back. He's a bloody PhD doctor and has got this amazing way of describing fucking black holes. And it's like, wait, I thought you were the guy playing background keys on that pop number.
Speaker 1: That's right. I think they had two hits I use that term reservedly, but too Yeah, and that's right, And he comes back a couple of decades later as a professor of particle physics and quantum this and that.
Speaker 2: But jokes aside, I do think that is one of his I do think there's ways so good because he knows how to work a crowd. You know, he's got stage presence, like in the clothes he wears. You know, he never seem in a suit. He's always kind of dressed normally. And he's got a way of connecting. And also he seems really I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but he seems like he makes one feel like the most intelligent person in the room. He doesn't feel like he kind of makes you feel stupid. You tell me, how was it when you were around him?
Speaker 1: Well, I am stupid, so no it was. Look honestly for me, it's not my area at all. So but I really enjoyed the the night. I learned some stuff, but a lot of it was high level. But you're right, he has a way like he's very this is not the right word, but it's kind of this what he's kind of got this gentle nature, like this very calm very regulated. You know, there's no massive peaks and troughs, and he's not theatrical, but he has a presence and I mean literally is walking up and back on a bloody one hundred foot stage in this enormous arena, and he looked right at home. And what's that dude's name. There's a comedian is it Robin Ince or something?
Speaker 2: Oh, who works with Ricky gervaslot, you have an open for Ricky?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he he shares the mage with it. Yeah, oh yes, So they bounce off each other. So he comes out every I don't know, twenty or thirty minutes and goes, who's fucking confused? We're all like me, who doesn't know what's going on me? So what's funny and quite clever I think is that Brian comes out and talks about all this high level cosmology and science and research and you know stuff, and then he comes out as almost to release the pressure, like the elephant in the room, to talk about you know, if you don't know exactly what's going on, that's all right, you're probably in the majority anyway, Enough about.
Speaker 2: Him, And yet he's also super clever, Yes, that guy right in super clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can tell that there's there are a lot of comedians. There are a few that aren't, but a lot of comedians are actually highly intelligent because they have to understand human behavior and psychology and read rooms and be situationally aware and socially aware. And you know it takes to make to stand up there and look that goofy and clumsy and funny. Takes a high level of it. It's not what most people would think normal like intellect, but there is a bit of intellect in it, but there is a whole lot of intelligence that goes into making that look as seamless and as normal and as comfortable as they do. I mean, you get on stage a lot and you present a lot, as do I my job when I'm not doing this as corporate speaking, how much because you know your stuff, right, you're a obviously you've got a deep level of knowledge, vast experience, blah blah blah, all that stuff. But then you've got to get up there and share that with a group and not be boring and be relatable and give them ideas and thoughts and strategies that they can implement starting tomorrow or today, and then be able to read the room a bit and create connection and engagement and don't fuck up. What's the mix between, Like, even if you are a teacher, you're still on a level performing right totally.
Speaker 2: I always tell people the best training ever did was my acting training. That's the best training. More than the seven years living in the Buddhist center, training with these tibatan larmers and stuff.
Speaker 1: That was great.
Speaker 2: But the most important part is the acting training because it's howpen to communicate an idea and I love it. Going on stage. I have this weird thing where I'm nervous. I might have nerves in my body before I go on stage, but the moment I step on stage, I just feel at home. I feel like there could be one person or a thousand people. I feel like I'm speaking to someone in my living room. So weirdly, I sometimes you get nerves before I go on, but once I'm on stage, it just feels like that's the place I'm supposed to be. And also, when you're sharing lucid dreaming stuff for a lot of time, if it's maybe a little bit like the science talks you went to, you get this moment of sharing a truth, a fact that many people have never heard before. So you're seeing the revelation of truth live and you see people's faces light up and you see they're kind of inner child come out as they're like, fuck, you can be aware in your dreams while you're still asleep, and you can choose what to do. Oh my god, that's so cool. And to witness that, you know, it's it's such a kind of privilege, and it's so fun. You know, it's never old. People say, oh, you know, be doing fifteen years to get bored of teaching the same stuff, And I'm like, well, it's always changing. But even in an introductory talk where it's basically the same stuff I've been doing fifteen years, it's never the same talk because it's never the same audience. If you're doing the same talk, you're doing it wrong, do you know what I mean? It should be always you're feeding off the audience. And I always find the person the audience who I'm scared of, the person who reminds me of my dad, or the person who makes me think they're going to think this is bullshit. I deliver everything to them. First five minutes. I'm delivering it to them because I think if I can. If I can get them one side, everyone else in the room is with me.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had I did a gig. I don't know when it was, but lots of times like that, you would have had the same thing where you're getting a sense from somebody that they fucking hate this and they hate you, and they're only there. They're only There's usually a dude, they're only there because their missus dragged them along under suffering. And I'm like, fuck, why is this guy here? You're fucking up my vibe? Right, I had that not too long ago, and this guy just arms crossed like his energy. I thought, this is how dumb I am. I thought he I thought he was hating me, right, And I thought anyway, at the end, sure enough, he's standing and there's a few people wanting to talk to me. He's standing in the line wanting to talk to me. I'm like, all right, batten down the hatches, harps. Here he goes, fucking I'm gonna I'm gonna cop it. And then he comes up and he shakes my hand. And he's a little bit vision impaired, right, so he couldn't so I misread this whole thing. Was he couldn't actually see me. And he goes, that was amazing. He goes that, where else can I hear you? I'm like, fucking hell, what do I know? I'm a moron. I'm doing a PhD in self awareness and I've got fucking nun but.
Speaker 2: Ray I love that. I know we want to get to the lucid dreaming stuff, but I've just got a story to share. I think like that, and it's maybe he it's got some lucid dream in it. So I'm doing this bit where I'm teaching a work shore about the Buddhist cent zone. This is about like, are you about twelve or thirteen years I'd only just started teach you. I know that. So in a couple of years in I was twenty five years old or you know that kind of age. And the lucid dreaming bit I knew quite well. But the BUDDHISTI bit where I had to talk about t betan Buddhism, I always felt a little bit insecure about it. You know, I wasn't quite sure that I knew what I was talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, you know Buddhist. You know Buddhist done say fuck right, So you're making a mistake already.
Speaker 2: Damn it. Oh God, Sorry Buddha.
Speaker 1: Sorry Buddha, that's the name of the episode.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Buddha.
Speaker 2: Someone recently asked me to sum up Buddhism in as short a phrase I could, and I said, don't be a dick, be kind to people, and train your mind. That's Buddhism. I love that anyway. So I'm doing this bit. I'm giving a talk about all the complex of bet and BUDDHISTI stuff, and there's this woman in the back row. So she's quite far away, and my you know, my eyesight isn't that good. But she's in the back row, and every time I say anything relevant or like I make a joke or I do the kind of punchlines to whatever I'm talking about, she kind of scowls. Her face kind of drops, she scowls at me, and I'm like, what the fuck? You know, what's up with her? And every time I say something else she scowls. And then I started to create this whole story in my mind. I'm like, oh, I bet she's some like really advanced Buddhist and she knows that I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe she knows my teacher and she's been sent here to spy on me. I mean, my mind, just racing, racing, racing, doesn't matter that the other you know, twenty people in the room were all nodding and liking it, but that one person who seemed to be scowling just like you. The break comes. She makes a bee line over to me, and I'm thinking, oh God, here it comes. She's gonna tell me she hated it as soon as she comes close. I used to work with with people who had strokes in hospital as part of this voluntary As soon as she came close, I knew it. There's a very certain look to the face when someone's had a right hemisphere stroke, where it drops and droops. And she broke into this lopsided smile. It was a smile, not a grimace. And she told me how much she enjoyed it. The reason she was doing what I thought was the grimace every time I made a salient point, because she was smiling, not grimacing. Dude, I mean another quote from Buddha. With our minds we make the world. I had created a whole world based on my own insecurity, thinking this woman was hating what I was talking about. In fact, she'd had a stroke and was smiling, not scowling. You know, that stayed in my mind for ten years. Could we never know? That? We never know?
Speaker 1: It is so true, mate, like the way that we are constantly, unintentionally and unknowingly creating our own world or our own version of the world. And part of you know, for me, one of the fascinations is, you know, sitting with four other people at a table in a conversation and then having a moment where you go, although we're in the same conversation and we're at the same table in the same time, none of us are having the same experience, right, none of us are in the same reality. We're just in the same location. And then when you separate location and moment in time and situation and circumstance and environment and table and chairs to the individual experience of each of those you know, amazing creatures sitting at that table in that time, it's like, oh wow, this because you start to see another world, you know, that the non physical, which is I mean that's for me and obviously for you, that's the shit. You know, that's where it happens. Now before I start questioning you like a bloody boring interviewer, tell us give us the Charlie Morley story. Did you when you were three go have an epiphany? I want to be the Dalai Lama? What did you?
Speaker 2: Give us?
Speaker 1: A bit of backstory before we get into your areas of expertise.
Speaker 2: I was quite young, actually I remember, and this is I thought it might be in a false memory, but my dad confirmed it for few years ago when I was eleven, So if my twelfth birthday, I asked my dad for this thing called a Nova Dreamer, which is like this electronic sleep mask that you strapped to your face and it flashes red lights that come into your eyes while you're dreaming, and it's supposed to give you lucid dreams. And I do remember this. With the Sunday Times newspaper, there was like this gadget magazine, you know, Male Order Gadget, and it was in there, and I remember saying to my dad, Oh, this, this mask can give you those dreams I have, you know, those dreams where I know I'm dreaming and I can control it, and this mask will give you more. So that we know happened. Then I don't know what happened. I go back to being an eleven year old, and I never got the novera dreamer. But then when I'm about sixteen, fifteen, sixteen, I started getting interested, as many young people do at that age, you know, the mind and psychedelics, and I was smoking loads of weed and like aliens and meditation, but meditating seemed a bit boring and hard. But then lucid dreaming. I was like, oh, yeah, that thing I used to do as a kid. Because you can train yourself. So I read loads of books and kind of taught myself how to do it again properly. I could train myself to wake up in the dream. So I'm still physically asleep, but in my mind I've kind of become conscious, And then I could choose whatever I wanted to do in the dream. So of course, at fifteen, you know what I did. I would just like loads of sex and skateboarding. I'd be like, you know, this is show age now, like pamarr Anderson come to me. Then Pammy would appear in full Baywatch, you know, late nineties Baywatch form, and uh, you know, I do what I wasn't doing a lot of in the waking state. But also I did do lots of skateboarding, and weirdly, you're like this because the sports science fit they have now proven that if you practice sports or athletic discipline in the lucid dream, you're actually training the neural pathways and you can have improved performance in the waking state. So I did get pretty good at skateboarding. The other thing not so much. But skateboarding I get into like that, just kind of hedonistic stuff. Then then it gets a bit heavy. The drugs reached a peak and I had this full on like I had a drugs overdose, had this full on near death experience the Tunnel of Light, and then I had these really bad nightmares after that. You know, people always have NDEs and then you see angels and stuff. I didn't. I was like proper traumatic, and I had these terrible nightmares. But I used lucid dreaming this for like the first time, not for set skateboarding, but to cure the nightmares. I finally like there was always this little this dwarf guy. I know it sounds a bit funny, but this dwarf would appear and the dwarf represented death, like and if he appeared the dream, he'd just look at me like that nothing scary in that he'd just appear and look at me, and that meant I was still in the near death experience. I was still in the drugs overdose. I hadn't I hadn't come out of it kind of thing. And this happened, you know, for months, like four or five months, I was having these nightmares, and I'd been reading in these Lucid dreaming books. So you could use Lucid dreaming to cure nightmares. But what you had to do was not wake up from the nightmare. You had to intentionally stay there. And all it said was kind of face your fears, and I was like, what does that mean? So on kind of the fourth or fifth attempt, I did manage to stay lucid in the dream, but sorry become lucid. The dwarf guy appeared, and this time I turned him and I went, I know he's supposed to hug them and show them love and stuff, but I was, you know, I didn't know that. Then I went, Okay, I fucking get it. I get it. But what I meant by I get it was like, I get it, this is a nightmare, this is trauma. I understand that this is a dream. I'm not really back there. And the moment I said it, the dwarf, who was obviously the kind of representation of the trauma, his face changed and he went oh, and then like a magician, he went like he didn't say it, but he did the action of like tuda like that. And then behind him were these theater curtains, red velvet theater curtains that suddenly appeared and they opened, and behind them was my seventeen year old's vision of paradise, Wow, which was a big skate ramp, you know when there's really big skateboard ramps, and on the top of the ramp with these girls in bikinis smoking splits, spoken joints.
Speaker 1: And then I woke up and cheering you on as you did in nine hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all of that. So my vision, well, I now realized, was a vision of paradise. Now at the time I didn't know. I just knew the nightmare stopped, and I was like, oh, that's pretty cool. I had that lucid dream the nightmare stop. Now, like six years of working with military veterans and stuff, it's so obvious I had PTSD and that PTSD was manifesting recurring nightmare, and by using lucid dreaming and by facing the fear, by intentionally staying in the dream doing something empowering, I was able to transform the trauma into a symbolic vision of healing, which I know is a bit silly the girls and bikinis and stuff, but still, that was a seventeen year old symbolic vision of healing and whatever it was, So yeah, then I really got into it. They ended up living in a Buddhist center and trading with these Buddhist guys and writing books and all that, and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: So interesting. So many people have these revelations and these light bulb moments and these awakenings out of trauma, and there's not I guess a lot, not a lot more traumatic than a near death experience. Tell me a little bit, like I want to hear your I don't know, just your take on the intersection, the overlap, the connection of psychology, physiology, spirituality and emotion. Like there's this synthesis, this exchange. It's like all it's all interconnected. And so for you you were having I mean, there was psychological stuff, emotional stuff, physiological stuff, and a spiritual awakening or something whatever you might want to call it. But in our culture in Australia anyway, I'm sure in the UK all of those things almost get treated or spoken about in different channels or in isolation. But nothing's really nothing's really separate on an experiential level for.
Speaker 2: Us, completely completely, you know, the search for consciousness. Like I read something an article or easy The headline was why did consciousness appear on Earth? And I was like, you think consciousness is limited to Earth? It's like, the reason we can't find consciousness is because consciousness is the base of all being. It's like we're not gonna be able to find it because it is the isness. You know, this is my crazy belief anyway. So this idea that like the brain and consciousness separate, you know, this idea that the idea that consciousness lives in the brain is so fundamentally reductionist. It's like people who who's you know, if music is playing from a radio and then I switched the radio off, it would be childish for me to say, oh, that means that the people playing the music were inside the radio, or but I can prove it because look, if I smash the radio, the music stops. If you smash the radio and the music stops, it doesn't mean the band, this tiny little band playing violin or inside the radio, like we're not children. It means the radio was a transmitter of something that made the sound of the music. It's like that we're still at this level, like the kind of this reductionist view of brain and conscience is still held widely by many, many people in the scientific community, let alone the wider community. So that's my views on consciousness and the brain. As far as lucid dreaming, and this might be quite a cool way to kind of, you know, get into some of the lucy dreaming stuff when you look at how healing works in lucid dreaming, so there's the ability to less of that psychological healing, but there is actually we can go more woo woo into kind of physical healing if you like. The kind of scientific view of how psychological healing is occurring in the lucid dream is that once you get lucid, the prefrontal cortex becomes activated, and the prefrontal cortex isn't usually activated when you dream. That's why you can dream your other people and dream of dreaming your child if you're an adult, stuff, because your sense of self, which seems to be linked to activation of the prefrontal cortex, is greatly diminished once you've become lucid. It makes complete sense the prefrontal cortex switches on because you go, oh, I am having a lucid dream. My sense of agency is allowing me to direct the dream, right. And then they got this dude to fall asleep in a brain scanner in Heidelberg University in twenty twelve and they proved that that, yes, it is the prefrontal cortex lighting up. They then discovered that once the prefrontal cortex lights up, neuroplasticity becomes engaged. Now, neuroplastisity isn't engaged in non lucid dreams because it requires this kind of prefrontal activation of intention to down these pathways. But once you become lucid, if in your lucid dream you choose to practice martial arts training, for example, we've got studies that show you get better at it in the waking state, and we know that because I was in one of these studies. Twenty five of us involved eighty one point three percent of people who got lucid and trained a specific kick sequence that we were told to do, got better at that kick sequence in the waking state. Now, I was one of the nineteen percent who didn't get any better, which is kind of embarrassing because I did get lucid and I did do the kick sequence, but who knows didn't work for me on that time, And they're kind of So the sign of the explanation of how healing is occurring in lucid dreaming is that once you become lucid, if you integrate a trauma or face a fear, or work with a phobia in the lucid dream because neural pathways are being laid down at that time, it leads to the neurological change, not just psychological change. We can then be activated in the waking state. Right, So that's their kind of description. But if you ask the Buddhists why is healing to occurring in lucid dreaming, they would completely different kind of explanation. They say that in the lucid dream state, you have seven times the power of mind. So once you become lucid, your mental capacity or mental power is is like seven hundred percent more powerful. So that's why if you do a healing in the lucid dream, it's so powerful, Or that's why if you face a fear in the lucid dream, it's so powerful. Now could it be that they've actually come to exactly the same conclusion they've seen that it's a dependent requirement of prefrontal cortex activation that allow which comes with lucidity, that allows these neural pathways to be laid down. But they described it as, Oh, you just have seven hundred percent more power. Could it be there explaining exactly the same thing and it leads to exactly the same result, which is that lucid dreaming is a great way to treat trauma. But they're just describing in different not even different languages, but just different ways of explaining exactly the same phenomena. I mean, this is well known, right, This is like Ken Wilber's theory of the integral philosophy, that everyone's kind of talking the same language. But I think sometimes that can get really lost in the noise of like, oh, yeah, your God is my God, and this well maybe not, maybe not, we don't know that for sure, but maybe we could say your body is my body. Now you have the same physiological makeup as I do. And whether we call it chakras or GLAMs or points of awareness or whatever, there are certain things you can do to your body and I can do to my body which will have the same results. Maybe it's something more more body based.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super duper interesting. Okay, So here's my chicken and egg moment. We've been exploring the chicken. Let's go back to the egg for a moment, the metaphoric egg. What is lucent dreaming because some people have never heard some of my listeners have never heard that term, or they don't know what it is, so we can't. I probably should have started there, but just give us your I.
Speaker 2: Should have started there problem.
Speaker 1: That's all right, give us your definition.
Speaker 2: Well, my definition and the kind of you know, accepted scientific definition is a dream in which you are actively aware of the fact you're dreaming as the dream is happening. So elucid dream is a dream where you have the aha moment of self reflective awareness within the rem rapid eie movement dreaming sleep stay. So basically you're not half awake half asleep. You sound asleep dreaming away, but as you are dreaming, part of the brain reactivates, allowing you to have the experience of knowing you're dreaming as you're dreaming. Once that happens, you can then direct the dreamer will Why are we so what?
Speaker 1: Why are we so shit at sleeping, Charlie? Why does so many people talk to me about like we're fucking terrible at it? Every second person I know doesn't sleep well. I don't know if it's genetics or luck or whatever, but I sleep like I can have a fucking skinny latte as I'm going to bed and I still sleep like a champion. But why do so many people struggle? Is it physiological, psychological, emotional, something else?
Speaker 2: There's so I mean, I just just literally wrote a whole book about this. But let me think of one of the core reasons that might be the most interesting thing to explore here if you haven't come across it. There is a big argument to say that the reason we have such poor sleep is due to the overactivation of the sympathetic nervous system, crucially due to our breath rate. So in twenty twenty, the average breath rate of Americans, but I'm sure we can say if Europeans and other people around the world was fifteen to twenty breaths a minute. That's seen as a normal breath rate. That is incredibly fricking fast. When I was born in the eighties, the average American breath rate was seven point eight breaths a minute. Our grandparents back in the nineteen thirties, the average American breath rate was four point eight breaths a minute. We are breathing seventy five percent faster than our grandparents were. If you get a chart that shows the increase in breath rate from the nineteen thirties to twenty twenty, and you place another graph next to it showing the increase of anxiety, depression, and autonomic nervous system disorders of the body, which can be certain forms of diabetes, linked to certain forms of obesity, definitely linked to anxiety and nervous conditions. They go up at the same rate. So there's a very strong argument to say that one of the reasons we can't sleep is because we're breathing so fricking fast for like twenty hours a day, for fifteen hours a day that by the time we get to bed, we've been in this accelerated pedal on by breathing so fast that we can't take the accelerator pedal off. Any Time you breathe at more than ten breaths a minute, you're in mild sympathetic dominance. If you're breathing over fifteen breaths a minute, you're in severe sympathetic dominance. So no wonder when we try and go to sleep at night, we can't get to sleep because we've had the accelerator pedal of the fight or flight on all day. So one of the things that I do in the workshops with people with like really severe sleeping problems, Like a lot of the veterans who are averaging like three hours sleep a night, they've got all many of them have clinical PTSD. We get them to slow their breathing down. We get them to breathe at five breaths a minute, which is about seventy five percent slower than usual. And if you get someone to breathe at five breaths a minute for like twenty minutes before they go to bed, then you put the brake pedal on the nervous system. So when they get into bed, they don't need to try to fall asleep. Sleep will happen naturally because sleep is a natural phenomena that will occur, and that will occur in the absence of stresses that plent it from occur. And the major stressor is breathing too fast. So anyone listening and say, give yourself twenty minutes a day of breathing really freaking slowly. Well, it's actually a normal way to breathe, but it will feel really freaking slowly.
Speaker 1: Do you think that breathing is the problem or the symptom seems like the symptom of the problem. But I guess it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It doesn't is that we're so stress and anxiously. Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is the anxiety is the sympathetic nervous system over activation stimulation that causes the rapid respiration. But either way, if you want to on you yeah, yeah. If you control the breathing, then you control the nervous system, so it probably does.
Speaker 2: The brain has the lungs on speed dial. The quickest way to change your neurological state is through your breath over the visual cortex. So you can have someone visually watching a horror movie. If you get their breathing for at least seven minutes, it keeps in at about five six minutes. If their breathing rate is one of deep relaxations, like five breaths a minute. The brain will prioritize the messages from the lungs over the visual cortex. So even if you're watching a horror movie, the brain will go, well, the eyes are telling me it's pretty scary out there. The lungs are telling me everything's fine. So I'm going to go with the lungs because I trust the lungs above everything else. I've got the fastest rate of communication between the lungs. Yeah, I'm going to go for the lungs, so it prioritizes the messages from the lungs.
Speaker 1: That's super smart. The brain has got the lungs on speed. Doll everyone that yeah is great. I love that saying. And you know what else I love. I have never and I've win only a thousand episodes in I've never heard anyone talk about the acceleration or the the you know, the increasing of breath rate over the last decades. I did not know that.
Speaker 2: I don't know how and anyone listening, because often a lot of people listen and they can't find the research. Email me at dream yoga at live dot com and I will send you the very boring studies from University of Buffalo, New York State, going back to the nineteen twenties. They're all obviously, you know, photocopies, but it's hard to find that research. But it's in a very obscure book by one of the guys who invented the Boutiqo method of breathing. But it is all there. And even back in nineteen ninety, breath rate was still as low as twelve breaths a minute, ten to twelve. So you know, something's happened. Something's happened to make us breathe really fast, and it's obvious what's happened.
Speaker 1: Right now, we definitely don't have enough time to go through. I so want to get you back again another time if you're up for that in a month or two. I know you're busy, mate, But so is your most recent book wake Up to Sleep? Is that your most recent one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one based in the World with veterans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, we'll talk about that in a moment. I want to something that you said on something that I watched, because I was going to say I'm an avid researcher, which is total bullshit. Sometimes I turn up. Sometimes I turn it. Don't tell anyone, Charlie. Sometimes I turn up to a podcast and I've read about nine lines or one paragraph. It depends on that. I started reading about you and this is fucking fascinating. Then I listened to a podcast. Then I'll watch some YouTube and I'm like, yeah, this is cool, but I don't think we can fit him into one show. But anyway, here's something that blew my socks, my metaphoric socks. Of sixty eight percent, men are sixty eight percent less likely to die of heart disease if they regularly regularly nap. Unpack that grasshopper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're actually even more impressive studies. But I put that one because it's Harvard, and everyone takes the word of Harvard, and that's good because they have good research grants. Yeah, women it was like thirty something. Sorry for all people average out about thirty something, but men specifically it was like sixty eight percent. So this was habitual nappers. So this is people nappingly three or four times a week for between twenty minutes to an hour with napping to keep napping with zero contraindications. From a medical point of view, naps need to apply two golden rules one hour or less and the nap needs to finish six hours before your intended bedtime. One hour or less thing because once you get over an hour, especially once you start approach ninety minutes, you're gonna then drop into deep sleep, which is going to affect your circadian rhythms and make it maybe difficult to sleep at night, blah blah blah. So twenty minutes to an hour, and the reason you don't want it to be within six hours of your intended bedtime is a thing called sleep pressure, which is basically the kind of subjective experience of tiredness. Certain chemical that builds up in the brain takes about six hours to build up, which is interestingly why you often feel six hours after you woke up in the morning a little dip, because that's how long it takes sleep forsure to build that. So habitual nappers twenty minutes to an hour three to four times a week, massive drop in heart disease. They did a similar study in Switzerland where they got randomly selected members of the population. It was like three or four thousand people. It's a big study, and again they found direct impact linking nap frequency to longevity. Even people who had one nap a week lived longer than those who did not, But people who were getting like three or four naps a week, so kind of habitual nappers, they lived longer. And they said they were living longer not only because of what Harvard said with the reduction heart disease, which is the biggest killer in the Western world, but also reduction strokes, so really good for strokes and really good for heart disease.
Speaker 1: Very amazing. How did the work with the veterans with PTSD about.
Speaker 2: That was really interesting. That came about because a guy called Keith McKenzie, who was a parachute regiment veteran. He turned up at this Lucid dreaming retreat. I was doing a place called Holy Isle, which is like a full on, like you know, Buddhist Lucid dreaming retreat, right, and this veteran turns up and he's got serious nightmares. He's the first veteran I've ever met. You know, I don't really know any a part of my grandparents, I guess. And yeah, in the four day retreat he had this big breakthrough in his nightmare stopped and then he wrote this kind of testimonial thing, saying I colled more of my nightmares in four days than four years of therapy, and that ended up on my website for years and stuff like that. But he kind of dropped off the scene. Then a few years later he comes back to me, emails me and says, oh, I become a mindfulness teacher specializing in teaching meditation to veterans and military people with PTSD, and now I'm running these retreats. Will you come and teach the lucid dreaming that you taught me on the retreat? And I wasn't really that sure about it, you know, veterans. I knew it was very difficul to get into the veterans scene. If you're not a veteran, you know, there are big trust issues. Definitely think you're a therapist or a doctor. But he made the point. He was like, yeah, but Charlie, you're not a therapist, you're not a doctor, and you're not a veteran either, but you're coming in as my guest, you know. So he kind of brought me into this scene. Anyway. We did these workshops and these retreats, and it seemed to work for other veterans. Too, but it didn't work for all of them. The lucid dreaming worked for some of them, maybe like five out the twenty on the retreat, and the other fifteen they seem to really benefit from the other stuff that he was offering on the retreat, which was breath work, deeprelaxation, yoga, nidra, physical yoga, and mindfulness practices. And I remember at that time thinking, oh, if I could find a way of training myself getting teacher qualifications in the aforementioned breath work, yoga, nidra, deep relaxation, and mindfulness to add to the lucid dreaming, then I would have some a very powerful offering. So I spent the next five years basically doing that. I went to America and got this research grant and study with all the breath people over there, this kind of Winston Churchill Fellowship thing. It's this kind of grant, and then yeah, did the teacher training, and then started writing the book. And then now it's been about seven years later, and the work with the veterans is, yeah, maybe, like I don't know, a solid quarter of the work I do, maybe even half of the work that I do. We never charge veterans. I always make sure the funding comes from other sources, so the veterans will never pay for the teachings. They'll never kind of have to pay for a workshop. And we did a scientific study about a year ago which got absolutely audacious results, results that were so outrageous the scientists thought there was a problem with the data collection. So we did this about a year ago. We had fifty five people, all of whom had PTSD. So to get onto this study with ions Institute of Petics Science is this big scientific organization in America, you had to have PTSD, so one hundred percent PTSD in the group. We check their PTSD scores, which is a way of kind of finding the level of someone's PTSD. Before then, we had one week where I had to teach them lucid dreaming and they had to try and have a lucid dream, and in the lucid dream engage a healing what do we call it healing aspiration or something basically had to face their fear or walk fearlessly towards the nightmare or transform the nightmare, you know, something kind of healing in the lucid dream. Then the end of the week, we took their PTSD scores again. Now, a lot of them had a lucid dream in that week, like seventy percent, which is really high you would not expect, especially with PTSD. I thought, maybe we just need to help them get asleep for the week. But they did manage to get lucid a lot of them. And by the end of the week, when we check PTSD scores again, the average PTSD score had dropped so low it was beneath the PTSD threshold and in fact, thirty of the fifty five people no longer classified as having PTSD. So they assume there's a data collection problem, so they double checked the data. Then they're like, Charlie, we need to triple check because this isn't making sense. So they triple check and think, Okay, we think the data sound but we think it might be they didn't. They thought it might have been a kind of a group thing that because we were a group all gathered together for a week, because I was there kind of geeing them up and be like, come on, you can do it, you can do it, that it wasn't going to last, and that their PTSD school would rise within a week. So they wanted to do a one month follow up study. When they did the one month follow up study, the PTSD school was actually one point below what it was before, So they then had to conclude that, yeah, I mean, we knew that lucid dreaming was one of the most powerful modalities for working with PTSD nightmares, of course, because if you in the nightmare you can transform it. What hadn't been done was actually looking at PTSD scores in the waking state. You have such a powerful integration in a dream that had actually changed your trauma triggers in the daytime, and we proved it did. And that research will be coming out soon in the Journal of Trauma and Psychology or something I can't remember, but email me and I can send that anyone who's introd and crucially, in January twenty twenty three, we are running the same study, this time not just fifty people, but one hundred people. Because the results were so good, we got funding to do it again. So if you have clinical PTSD, if you know someone who is currently working with PTSD, and if they are free for a week in January and want to join us in this study, then we hope to get similar results. This is a blind controlled study, so fifty of the one hundred people will not be on the study. They'll have to spend the week I don't know, just not trying not to lose a dream for a week, which I thought was I was like, wait, so there's going to be fifty people who've got PTSD and we're going to say, oh, sorry dude, but you don't get the program. That's bullshit. So I said I would only do it if the fifty people who are the control group get exactly the same workshop one month later. We won't be collecting the data, but we'll make sure that everyone who applies, you know, gets the workshop, whether you're part of the test group or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the downside of rigorous research. You've got to have a control that don't get the magic pill. Yeah. I know this question is like me saying to you, can you just quickly explain the Bible in three sentences or whatever? But could you just so anyone who's listening going, I want to lucid dream. I know that there's not a one minute kind of tutorial on how to, but people who including me, like, I'm I want to I want to go, I want to do it. I want to I want to try how do I go from I've got no idea to now I'm lucid dreaming. What what's the pathway?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean obviously it's a long pathway and books about this and blah blah blah. But I've also got something called the four d's, which I always use on podcast is. In a few minutes, I can sum this all up for you. Yea. The first D dream recall you train yourself to remember your dreams. First thing you need to know. Everybody dreams. When people say I don't dream, well, that means I don't remember my dreams. There's no way to stop the human brain from dreaming because it is so closely linked to our survival mechanism. So everyone's dreaming every night, so whether you remember or not, so first thing to know as you are dreaming. Second, try and remember. You know, people say, oh, I say you know, when did you last try and remember your dreams? And they're like, oh, but I didn't think I dreamt, so of course I haven't tried to remember. So essentially, tonight, sit on your bed and before you go to sleep, tell yourself tonight, I'm going to remember my dream. Set a really strong intention. We're going I go one step further. As you're falling asleep tonight, and you pass through what's called the hypnagogic state, which is a natural state of hypnosis where we know the brain goes into exactly the same state. It's clinical hypnosis, deep ouf in theater, very suggestible state. Be reciting over and over again as you fall asleep tonight, tonight, I remember my dreams. I have excellent dream recall. So you're basically doing a self hypnosis technique as you fall asleep. If you want to do it the BUDDHISTI way, you'll do it twenty one times and all this kind of stuff. But whatever, fall asleep few minutes saying over and over again, tonight, I remember my dreams. I have excellent dream recallond D dream diaries write down your dreams in some way. We're not writing down our dreams to interpret them. If you're into that, that's great, fine, beautiful, but that is not what we're using it for lucid dreaming. The reason we write down our dreams for lucid dreaming is to solidify the memory of an unconscious process into the conscious mind. So by writing it down, we're taking something which is usually unconscious and downloading it consciously into the page. This helps us remember it, and we want to remember our dreams because elucid dream is based on knowing your dreams so well that you know your dreams when you're in them. So let's say after a week of writing down your dreams, at the end of the week, you flick through your dream diary or put it on your phone, whatever, and you start to see patterns. You might be like, oh, yeah, look, I always dream about being back in school, or I always have that dream about that you know, the bully from school, or I always dream about being naked and public, whatever it is. You might see these patterns emerging, and that moves us to our third d dream signs. So a dream sign is any part of the dream that can indicate to you that you're dreaming. So if you're dreaming you're just at work and the office and stuff like that, probably no dream signs. But if you're dreaming of your dead grandma, or you're dreaming you're in a country you don't live, or you're dreaming you're in the ancient pyramids or something, then those are dream signs things that can indicate the dream. So by writing down your dreams. You start to spot your dream signs. You start to see, oh, I always dream about that, dream about that, dream about that. Then before bed you make triggers. You tell yourself, well, if tonight I dream sorry, If tonight, between now and breakfast, I find myself naked in public, then I must be dreaming. Or if now, between now and breakfast I see my dead grandma, I've got to be dreaming. It sounds too simple to be true, but it uses a brain called prospective memory. Part of the brain that deals with prospective memory, and that's really deeply embedded into our brain because it's a survival part of memory. You know, if we could remember that the next time I see that apple, I will eat it because it help me survive through the winter. And the next time I see that mushroom, I won't eat it because it poisoned my mate and killed him. We were more likely to survive. So prospective memory is so deeply embedded in the brain it can be activated during sleep. So you basically use that part of the brain. Little brain hack. You tell yourself the next time I see this, I will know that I'm dreaming, And that's your third d And then The final one is dream planning. Basically, decide what you want to do if you want to have a lucid dream tonight. The best way of going about it is not really the first three d's. It's going to sleep thinking Wow, imagine if tonight I could cure my PTSD. Or imagine if tonight I could meet my inner child and integrate my child to trauma. Or imagine if tonight I could do my spiritual practice in the dream. Or imagine if tonight I could practice my martial arts to get the edge on the fight I've got tomorrow. You know, if you've got a really good reason to have a lucid dream, the why is more important than the how. So have a really good reason, why, what would you do break? If you've got lucid tonight, all the things you do, will it be calling for Patty or doing your spiritual practice?
Speaker 1: It would be what would I do? Oh? I think I'd like to heal some of my fucking injuries that come out of forty years of lifting heavy things. I think I might start to open the healing gate and see what I.
Speaker 2: Call mate healing. Lucid dreaming is serious. They don't know how it works. And they just say it's the placebo. But anyone who says just before the placebo does not understand how powerful the placebo is. Right, Well, so whatever it is you have, Yeah, people have reported healing I've done, like torn scapular What else did I do? Not my nose or ears? I had an ear infection and did this healing in the lucy dream and then I woke up and all this ear wax was coming out of my ear. I mean, it's a bit gross, but it showed that what I did in the lu room led to a physical response. I mean it's matrix style.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: When you get into this, you're like, I don't know how it works.
Speaker 1: But it works, and that's one of the beauty. So I mean, speaking of Harvard, we had professor Jeffrey Reddicker from Harvard Medical School and he's a fucking genius. By the way, go and have a coffee with him. I wish I lived over there. He he specializes in placebo and no cibo kind of treatment. Dude, you would love him.
Speaker 2: You would love with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've done one with him. I'll check that out.
Speaker 2: Listen to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's brilliant. He's brilliant, and he was a he was a you know, staunch evidence based scientist place ebos it's not a thing, it's not a thing. And all he kept getting for some reason, people sending him kind of these stories about cases of people who had literally incurable things that got cured and not one or two. But so he kind of went, you know what. I think he spent a decade knocking them back or ignoring it, and when I'm going to look at five cases or something, and all of them proved to be completely legit, and then he went, fuck this, and now he's now that's kind of the forefront of his research. I think the thing is that we still don't you know, there's a couple of things. One, we don't obviously understand the potential of the mind and the body to heal itself via you know, via the mind. But also, you know, we live in you kind of straddle both. You straddle the evidence based scientific and so do I to an extent, you know, but also the spiritual and the philosophical and and you know, one of the problems with science and scientists, and I mean this in a loving way because I am one, but is that if we can't explain it. We think it's not true, whereas I just go, I believe it. I don't know how it works, but I'm okay with that, Just like I can pick up my iPhone and know that if you gave me your phone number when we finish this, I can ring you when we can chat again. And I don't know how the fuck that works, but I just know that that thing has the capacity to allow me to do this other amazing thing. Just like I don't know how self healing works. I don't understand the mechanisms. Neither does anyone, Otherwise there'd be more on it. But you know that I think we get our doubt and our which is not to say we be should be naiven, gullible, But I one hundred percent believe that there.
Speaker 3: Is a huge capacity for self healing mind, body, emotion, spirit that we don't understand, and because we don't understand.
Speaker 1: It, it scares us, and so we call it bullshit. Whereas I would rather just go, look, I don't know, I don't know. I think I personally think you know this is possible. I don't know why or how, but I don't I don't need to understand it for it to be fucking real. Just because I don't understand it I'm a dickhead, doesn't mean that, oh with Craig Harper or Charlie Morley doesn't understand the mechanism of thing. It doesn't mean that we can't believe in it or that we can't you know. I mean literally, faith is believing in shit you can't prove. And so many people live a faith based life because if you have evidence, now you'd have knowledge, which makes your need for faith redundant.
Speaker 2: You know, dude, one d per agree with what you're saying. Have you come across a Dr David Hamilton? No, of course that guy is a mate. Am on him, be so good on your podcast. Scottish guy, he used to make drugs. He used to work for Glatzo smith Kline. He was the guy who was like a chemical biology of chemical I can't remember what it's PhD is. But he used to make drugs right and the reason he quit was because he was seeing the Percebo effect getting what usually gets maybe thirty percent forty percent. There was one trial they were doing on cancer drugs where it hit over fifty percent in favor of the pacebo and he was looking at the side effects as cancer drug and was like, if you can get fifty percent of people with the same amount of healing with no side effects, what am I doing making these drugs? And he left and he dedicated his life so write in these books describing how the Peraceibo effect works. And he's got a great way of like, I think you just get on with him. He's a he's a fun guy. He's got a great sense of humor, and he's got a really good way of explaining how kind of placebo healing works.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to drop your name, dude, and I'll just go to Charlie and I best is And he said to hit you up to them. Great, Melissa, you've already written that down. Yes, I'll have, fortunately for me and sadly for you. You're really fucking brilliant and you have to come back. But so Charlie's book most recently, he's got a bunch of books he's written for and they've been published all over the world and multiple languages. But his most recent one is Wake Up to Sleep, So go my ten of those. His website is Charlie Morley One Word Charlie L I. E. Morley l e y dot com. Go and check that out. What else do you want to plug or promote?
Speaker 2: Mate, just Instagram and staff Instagram, Facebook, Come make friends with me. Oh something launched today. I mean this is mainly people who work with me before, but the Lucid Dream Facilitator training, So training others if you're a therapist or a coach who wants to learn how to teach Lucier dreaming into your clients. And that's something that literally just launched today. So that'll be new on my website too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Your thanks for being on the you stay there, will say goodbye affair, but mate, thanks so much for being part of the silliness that is the Youth Project.
Speaker 2: Oh it's been a pleasure, mate, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks Melissa, thank you both.
Speaker 2: I've got to go take a nap now.
Speaker 1: I think just generally feel the benefits. I might do the same. Thanks everyone, love you Bye,