Speaker 1: Les General, Welcome to the Late Debate. Good evening and welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: I'm Caleb Bond with Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand. Well. The police are encouraging people to dob in others for shouting at cyclists. We'll show you the letter one man received later in the show. You would have heard today that Bill Shorten is retiring from politics to go off into academia as vice chancellor of the University of Canberra. Well, one of the papers reveals that to assist his middle health after losing in twenty nineteen, he adopted a fat dog.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that a bit later.
Speaker 2: And breaking news, Vladimir Putin has endorsed someone for the president of the United States. We'll tell you who and why later on, but first a Late Debate special. You know, it's not an episode of The Late Debate if we don't get stuck into at least one council. So we're going to start the batting with that tonight. And tonight it's Randwick Council in Sydney. That's in our cross here is because of course Day, like many other councils, decided it would be a grand idea to debate about Israel and Gaza, because you know Benjamin nettin Yahu and Hamasa sitting around with baited breath waiting to find out what Randwick Council thinks before they take any further action in that conflict. But we find out today how much money Randwick Council spent having these debates and apparently for the security and catering they needed for the special meetings in order to discuss geopolitics issues on the other side of the world. Randwick Council spent thirteen thousand dollars. And you might think, well, that's not a great deal of money. Who really cares about that? But think about all the other councils that did exactly the same thing. This is your rates, after all, this is magnified across the entire country. And we find out these numbers because of a new lobby group called Better Council Group. If only we could actually get better councils, the leader of which Sophie Calland is now painning to get rid of the Greens in Randwich. She says it suits the Green's agenda to continuously distract voters when presented with the facts of their performance in these roles. Let's talk about all the things that councils can't have any effect on, like war in Gaza, for instance. But it's not just the thirteen thousand dollars they spent staging these meetings. The mayor, the Greens mayor in Randwick put up a Facebook post with photographs of an anti Zionist rally. Someone a member of the community then made a complaint to the council under the Code of Conduct and said that this was discriminatory and so's division within the community. So that was then investigated. Can you imagine how much it cost them to investigate a Facebook post? Thirty four five hundred dollars to be precise. The complaint said the posting of these images may be construed as intimidation, harassment to famatory, threatening and discriminatory to our community, which includes two Jewish days skuls and two synagogues. I mean, what better for councils to get up to debating these issues that they have no effect over is and then spending tens of thousands of dollars investigating complaints about Facebook posts.
Speaker 3: Business as usual for counsels Like you say, this is just one council, how many of them have taken upon themselves to venture into geopolitics and who should be blowing up?
Speaker 1: Who shouldn't be?
Speaker 3: Whose side are we on instead of roads rates and rubbish for crying out loud. I love the idea of this Better Counsel's campaign. I hope they're absolutely cashed up. I hope they've got some full time staff on board, because that is a full time job. And I don't know how effective they can be, because of course these councils don't seem to change very drastically. Come each election, you hope for drastic change, except for this year. Of course, nobody's hoping for drastic change because the vast majority of the Limbs didn't even get their application, so there is no vote for change this time round. So you'd almost wonder why Better Counsel this campaign isn't just cooling their jets at this point because almost all hope is lost. So many of the others couldn't even apply to run. Some of them are incumbents, so they won't be.
Speaker 4: They say they will.
Speaker 5: I'll get all those votes that can't go to the Libs now, so I think exactly perfect time you can.
Speaker 1: It's just going to be more of the same from these council.
Speaker 5: I think, I think Randwick Council. I think it just it doesn't go far enough. I just I don't understand why we only know their position on one foreign policy? What's their position on Yemen? What's their position on South Sudan? What's their position on Brexit Amenia? What's the Armenia? Ukraine joined the AU NATO? I mean, can council NATO?
Speaker 3: No, So maybe they should send a letter to NATO letter Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Can't join at the moment, they what do they make of the EU elections?
Speaker 5: I imagine that would be emotional itself. I remember it's always whenever the Greens get involved, unsurprisingly, like most councils go about their business and they kind of and indeed the local government minister is now as a former mayor of a council, he's one of the more sensible ones. But it's always wherever the Greens get controlled, and they always get control of sporadically of the in a West council, it's with Labour now, thank god at the moment, but when they've.
Speaker 2: Been debating the whole Israel guards Greens and they've been having like vicious fights at Council meeting security called in slanging matches.
Speaker 5: Also, I remember when the Greens Ranichhart Council was the precursor that in the West and they were doing like I think they were sending money to East Team or yeah, yeah, and then there was another one there was And when the Greens were running in a West council more recently, they were debating orcas.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine about it? Worried about it? Nuclear submarines sailing.
Speaker 2: You would know, being an Inner wisty as mr and you know it's it's it's amazing living in the Inner West as a right winger. Actually quite like it because no one in the Inn West knows what I do because they don't consume this kind of media. If only they did, they'd have an education.
Speaker 1: But because they don't, watch out, so I.
Speaker 2: Can just sort of walk around with total anonymity in the Inner West. But just down the street from me is a little sign that says, you know, the Inner West or Lighthart Nuclear Free. As though there was going to be a nuclear subarge just sort of sail.
Speaker 5: Up all those plans to build a giant nuclear reactor in King Street, New Town.
Speaker 1: Somehow, well that would be the best nuclear.
Speaker 5: Also, racism is not welcome in the in the West and Blara Council.
Speaker 4: You'll be solved to know.
Speaker 5: They have little signs there saying races. Apparently, if you go to any council area, any local government area where there isn't a sign saying racism isn't welcome, it's fine to be just becaus racist as you want. It's totally fine. I love it, unless you've got a sign saying don't be racist. Also, I just assume that bank robbery is legal unless there's no sign saying bank robbery not welcome here, sign that it's okay.
Speaker 4: That's waiting for it.
Speaker 5: Really again, I want to know what is Randwick Council's position on bank robbery. Why haven't they felt this right? If you're going to go into all the jurisdictions which councils have absolutely not in it with, let's go into the crime.
Speaker 3: Were right on the raygun controversy.
Speaker 1: I don't give them ideas. We need to know.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're in New South Wales, maybe hope is on the way for misbehaving counselors. As the state government has decided to weigh in, there's been so many complaints behavioral complaints leveled at counselors that the state government has decided we're going to do a report on this, and we're going to start by reducing the code of conduct down from one hundred pages to two or three pages.
Speaker 1: Get this.
Speaker 3: The data provided as part of this report that the state government is doing found four two hundred and eighty nine complaints over the three years preceding twenty twenty two to twenty twenty three, but of these, fewer than twenty resulted in serious repercussions for offending counselors. So the states like, clearly the system's broken, we're gonna tidy it up. Check out this graph, which I believe may have just been up on your screen. This is how many complaints there have been in just these six councils.
Speaker 1: What the heck is going on?
Speaker 6: In Cumberland they had eighty four complaints, spent almost one hundred and fifty thousand rate pay of dollars on sorting those out, and zero zero what there were found to be a breach.
Speaker 3: So you've gotta love government because you make a complaint and they say, thank you for that. We'll investigate our selves and get back to you as to whether there's been a breach, but the Office of Local Government in New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Is onto it.
Speaker 3: Here's a quote from the Local Government Minister Ron Hohenegg. He says the options presented in this discussion paper put the owners back on addressing and resolving issues of council and misbehavior at a local level, rather than escalating complaints for the state government or private investigators to fix. For far too long the system has been abused. It's time to restore public confidence in councils.
Speaker 1: And ensure the dignity of.
Speaker 3: This vital third tier of government is upheld. Mate, that ship has sailed. But hey, dreams are free, so go your heart.
Speaker 1: At I mean, great idea, a great idea.
Speaker 2: And then what they're proposing now is that you know, councilors who misbehave could face fines and suspensions and all this sort of thing. But from reading these numbers, it sounds to me like it's not necessarily the council's council laws who are being complained about that are behaving badly. It's the councilors and members of the public who are making the complaints. So if you can have eighty four complaints in one council investigated to the tune of one hundred and fifty UK and not one of them was uphild. You've got a bunch of vications litigans who ought to be kicked, it.
Speaker 4: Would appear so.
Speaker 5: And interestingly Cumberland, I'm not sure exactly what if the time period overlapsed, but most recently Cumberland was the subject of a very deliberate campaign of complaint by people who are upset about a book about same set in the local library. And this caused all sorts of furora. So that may explain those high numbers. It's where of course that was recent.
Speaker 4: Though that was really recent.
Speaker 5: It might have been captured in these numbers, but certainly that was that was one of the things that definitely blew up recently and it was one of those things that was found to.
Speaker 4: Be completely fruivalous.
Speaker 5: So it's quite easy for people to whip up outrage about something or particular, something something or other in particular, and then there's another one in Bumbrey Council that's happened, in w A that's happening, and have all this stuff brought to bear, often from people outside the l g A and then then to be found that it's just a big nothing butter and I love the idea of private investigators bring it all nine hours when I saw the counselor escape.
Speaker 3: I don't have a lot of confidence in this proposed new system though, because get this, this is this is how the state government is proposing.
Speaker 1: This would now go.
Speaker 3: So you make a behavioral complaint against one of your counselors, this is how it's decided. Three tests for alleged misbehavior. We're trying to simplify here, right, So there's just three tests proposed. One any unbecoming conduct, Okay, that's clear as mud. Number two bringing counsel into disrepute, Okay, because that's not highly.
Speaker 5: According to Caleb, every single council has already been brought in executive.
Speaker 1: So that's all of the three.
Speaker 3: Behavior assessed as being outside the norms and expectations of a sitting counselor. I'm pretty sure that's just the same thing said three times over, slightly differently, but okay, And under this new system, this would then be sent to a committee of mayors in ex mayors to decide whether you have, in fact breach one of these three. But they all sound so highly subjective.
Speaker 1: Something that you.
Speaker 3: Say brings disrepior, I might argue is just free speech, and so on and so forth and counselor.
Speaker 5: And not only does it go to a career of mayors and x mayors. The local government minister who came up with this is himself.
Speaker 2: An X may and council is just make umpteen complaints about each other because they know it gets caught up in the process and it takes so long, and it's hanging over people's heads, and they do it in the lead up to council elections, so it's still there on the books when the election.
Speaker 1: Comes along on and on it goes.
Speaker 2: These people are so damn petty, it's not funny, and they're doing it with your money and my money.
Speaker 1: Let's go to some.
Speaker 2: More madness in Melbourne where one hospital, Monash Hospital, is now telling staff that it may have to discharge people early because they don't have enough money to keep them in hospital.
Speaker 1: What an extraordinary position to be in now.
Speaker 2: This is despite the fact that one and a half billion extra dollars was given by the Allen government two hospitals in its last state budget. But the hospitals still think they do not have enough money to do the jobs they need to do. They send an email around Bonish Hospital, that is to the staff this week saying, in the meantime, our current budget directives remain in place. We will continue to drive efficiency and reduce costs where we can be this through reduced length of stay, improved coding and data capture, reduced failure to attend rates, or simply working smarter.
Speaker 1: You're not entirely well yet doesn't matter. You've got to go home. We've got to put someone else in that bed. We can't afford to keep me here.
Speaker 2: And there's even the suggestion in Victoria that some doctors are going to have to take a pay cut so that the hospitals can keep running. You know, it's the most basic staff for a state government to be on top of.
Speaker 1: To think that you would a kick people out of.
Speaker 2: Hospital early when they're probably not entirely well because you can't afford to keep them in the hospital and asked doctors, some of the most hard working people in the public system, to take up pay cut.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 3: It makes sense though, that these hospitals are sticking with the budget because so the state government handed down these budget cuts in May, all the hospitals freaked out and advise the state government, Hey, this would literally mean drastic cuts to care, Like, let's be completely frankier, we simply can't do this. But they've crunched the numbers they've come up with their new budgets. The state government backflipped a month later and said, here's an extra one point five bill. But a hospital like Monash and any other hospital in Victoria doesn't know how much of that is now going to come into their coffers. So naturally they're still like, well, we just need to stick with the cuts that we've made to be far more efficient. But efficiency and kicking people out of hospital beds early, and like you say, this is one of the most crucial, simplistic, bottom line issues for the government to pay for. This is what we give you our tax dollars for, so when people are sick you can look after them, and you can't even do that. It's just yet another notch on the belt of why to leave Victoria.
Speaker 2: Tell that, I mean, they've got to be so broken, imagining, so broke that you can't even keep people in This that.
Speaker 5: Is broke in both senses of the word, it is just broken functionally, it has become institutionally broken, and obviously the various corruption bodies in the Oberinsmen have had something to say about that. But also it's just got no money. And all the people say, are we living in society not an economy. If you can't balance a budget, if you can't keep a state economy ticking over to the point where you can run budget surpluces to pay for the services you need, this is what happened. You get people gotten up with little aprons on and marched out the doors with their little white tushy flashing in the background. And if that wants if you want that to be the face of Victoria, carry on well.
Speaker 3: Speaking of them having no money, the Allen government in Victoria is now facing seventeen thousand, five hundred police officers who want a pay rise yesterday, and our undertaking industrial action to see that they get it. The nurses just got a twenty eight percent pay rise. The firefighters are fighting for similar, so are the paramedics. This is a broke government who is simply sitting there with empty pockets saying we can't help you out at the moment. So the cops are taking matters into their own hands, demanding a twenty four percent pay rise, which would be six percent annually over the next four years, as well as the introduction of eight point five hour shifts, because of course they do a lot of overtime and they're not getting paid for it, so they're sick and tired of it. They want a fair deal. The nurses just got one and they like the idea of it. Here is Police Association Secretary Wayne Gatt telling us just how dire the situation for police in Victoria.
Speaker 4: Is right now.
Speaker 7: Morale is hopeless in policing. I've really seen it worse, to be quite honest, and I know it's easy to come out and say that, but just imagine it. The police station behind me is all all but closed. It's all but closed. There's a couple of police officers inside, but that's all you got today. Fitzroy is shut. That's the closest police s action. We can't do this press conference there because it's shut today. That's how threadbare these police stations are. So imagine what it's like working in that environment. Because I can tell you now crime is not going down in Victoria, so the workload confronting police officers and persos is not getting any less.
Speaker 3: Way to tell the crimson Victoria, Hey, stright, now, while the iron's hot. Should they actually get this deal with the state government, it would add two hundred and ten million dollars to the three point two billion dollar bill that the taxpayer pays every year in Victoria to fund the police. When you put it that way, it doesn't sound like that much more.
Speaker 4: And show's got no money.
Speaker 5: Don't give the hospitals to stop sick.
Speaker 3: These guys are saying, we can't keep operating under the current system.
Speaker 4: We need more.
Speaker 3: You've got to do better by us. What what option does the state have these.
Speaker 4: Guys going again?
Speaker 5: They destroyed the economy during COVID. They destroyed the economy for votes to stoke and appease people's fears.
Speaker 4: And this is the result of it.
Speaker 3: They have.
Speaker 5: They have literally driven the state into the ground. They've given the economy into the ground to the point where they can't even put on the Commonwealth games basically an egg and spoon race, and they've simply.
Speaker 4: Got no money.
Speaker 2: They can't get enough coppers, they can't keep people who are sick in hoss and it's extraordinary that they've got no money because the land tax in Victoria, and anyone who owns a rental property in Victoria will know what I'm talking about, has gone through the roof. Daniel Andrews fiddled with that, jacked it up so much. I mean, I know people who are selling up in Victoria any property they've got and buying in wa Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, basically anywhere else because the land tax has gone so high. And you know what that's done, It's driven the rents up. Well done to the Alan gup. The one win, the one win though that the police have had in Victoria is they've been given the power to move on a bunch of do good a protesters who are going to rock up to one of the biggest military expos in Melbourne next week. Now there's been a threat from the Greens in particular this thing, what's it called. I've lost the lame horses the landforces, Thank you very much, Joe. It's the biggest military expo in the country. It's one of the biggest military expos in the world. Actually it was in Brisbane two years ago in twenty twenty two. This edition is going to be held in Melbourne just next week, and there have been threats that will be up to twenty thousand protesters rocking up to this thing. How exactly they're going to do that, I don't know, but the police have now been given the power to move on any protesters who rock up with masks on, because of course if you rock up with a mask, you're concealing your identity because you're going to be up to no good. We've got a little taste of how all of this might go in Brisbane two years ago.
Speaker 1: Take a look, I mean Granny with her pot. There is doing a lot.
Speaker 2: But of course now we have the other complications laughing. We have the added complication of the war between Israel and Gazas. So the Greens are incensed about it. How dare you have a military expo? We should not be allowed to defend ourselves in this country, should we? It's all just a great celebration of war. Well I'd like to see what the Greens will do when China finally rocks up at the shores. We won't have anything left to defend ourselves because they said you don't need military whatsoever. But I do find it slightly ironic that the Victorian police have now been given the power to move on people who wear masks to protest, when just three odd years ago, if you rocked up to a protest and you didn't have a mask on, will you be.
Speaker 1: Arrested for that?
Speaker 2: Ah? Very good.
Speaker 3: It's hard for these guys to stay on top of things, really, I mean, no wonder the Victorian police are just like, we've had enough, We're out of here. These Queenslanders are going to be doing the same. Do you want mass on or mass off for crying out loud? But whatever you've got to do to get rid of the protesters so people can go about their lawful business. It's not a protest if you're stopping people from doing that. Back to Victoria, where a lesbian group is seeking the Administration Tribunals of Appeals to overturn a decision made by the Human Rights Commission back in October last year which said that they were forbidden to disallow trans women and bisexuals from attending their public events. For lesbian group says, we are seeking to discriminate. We're female and.
Speaker 1: We'd like some rights please.
Speaker 4: Well, good luck, lesbians.
Speaker 3: We scrape women haven't had any luck in this space, but strength to your arm, try your hardest while not Meanwhile, a member of this group says they are so isolated speaking about lesbian feminists. They have no one else to talk to and they don't know where to find the support. There's nothing anti trans or about our application at all. Well, if only we could say that every time we'd like a biology man ejected from our female lonly gyms or female only sports or female lonely anything. So I'm very curious to see how this ends, because if the lesbians get the rights that us straight women have been fighting for four years now unsuccessfully, that's going.
Speaker 1: To I was going to say.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, I was going to say, more strength to the lesbian arm. But a lesbian arm probably has more strength than a lot of other women's arms in many cases. But well, I'm just saying that they actually know they work out, and have you ever watched the AFLW.
Speaker 1: Right women don't work out anyway?
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 2: The comparison that they're making in this case is to the Peel Hotel in Melbourne, which was a gay bar that was given the ability to turn away straight men because it was a haven for gay men. And this is go back decades, but it was a place for gay men to go and feel safe away from the rest of society. So they were given the ability to turn straight in a way at the door. And the lesbians are saying, well, why can't we have exactly the same right. The only difference here is that we are female, and I don't see why they shouldn't have the right. We had this discussion all the time about whether there should be men's only clubs and women's only clubs, and of course the complaint is always about men only clubs. We never talk about the fact that, you know, for the Adelaide Club, there's also the Queen Adelaide Club, and on and on it goes there are exclusive clubs only for women.
Speaker 5: Member.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I mean you can.
Speaker 2: Club is a gay bartrite my applications in for the Queen out of the club because I could be a woman for all you know. But but why should they not be able to have a place or a space or an event that is exclusively for lesbian women.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would think if it's your group and you've kind of started, it's kind of like saying anyone should be allowed to be in the Beatles. Well, no, if it's your group and you've formed it for a particular.
Speaker 3: Look how that went in the courts with Giggles versus Giggle versus Tickle exact que a ridiculous same for a court case. How is anyone supposed to take that seriously? But they had created an online space that was supposed to be women only and they've lost.
Speaker 1: They've lost in court.
Speaker 4: That's right not to mention the case of Giggle and who which is about an owl? And anyway, point.
Speaker 5: Being, I think you should be able to you, you should be able to decide, you should have a right to do and don't want to associate with. And again I do not understand a Melbourne left This is another example of how broken Melbourne is. I don't understand Melbourne left wing landscape in which lesbian separatism is not allowed.
Speaker 4: How fitial home.
Speaker 1: Melbourne.
Speaker 5: My entire nineteen nineties at Melbourne University, that's just all everything is turned upside down now. And I know a bit about the appeals policy on heterosexual men because I went to the Peel when my youth, and I always thought it was very unfair because I I went there and you know, the girls would often want to go there because girls I want to go to gay bars because they don't get harassed on the advance floor and stuff. But I, you know, I get dragged along. And I always thought it was terribly unfair because of course I am incredibly hot, and so as soon as I walk in the door, guys hitting on me right and said, I don't want to hurt their feelings or anything. And I also obviously don't want to say, oh sorry, I'm straight, because that's just false advertised, you know what I'm saying, And so you.
Speaker 4: Know I've got you know, I had this poor guy hitting on me for like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Cruel to Joe.
Speaker 4: That's right, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I'm supporting it to some boundaries here. There's only so much of the Joe dog to go around.
Speaker 2: But you know, you'd be more worried if they weren't interested in you, because you go, well, then I really am.
Speaker 5: No, I'm beautiful, I'm hot to try and you should see me cuts and moves on the down floor.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see that. Actually, we should do that one night.
Speaker 2: There's a you don't see it here on the set, but there is actually over behind Liz's shoulder. There there is a little bit where you could do a jig, and I reckon, we should get Joe up there one night after we've got a couple of shep see how we go.
Speaker 1: We're going to do some karaoke on the Late.
Speaker 2: Debate one night, let's go to the UK where the Nottingham Shear Police have come up with a novel idea. And I hate this stuff because you know, the world is divided enough as it is, but the Nottingham Shear Police are now asking members of the public to dobby in other members of the public for things that aren't quite crimes, but they don't particularly like. So if you see someone doing something on the road that perhaps isn't against the law, but you think it's a bit iffy, well seeing some vision after the police, and then the police will use their abundant resources. They must be doing a bit better than the Victorian police to send a letter to the driver of that vehicle or the owner of that vehicle to say, buddy, you should do a little bit better next time.
Speaker 1: And of course some of the.
Speaker 2: Complaints that are coming in are about people shouting at cyclists and one man has put his letter up on X of course formerly Twitter, in which it says, and you can see the letter on the screen. The police have taken the time to write this. He's not committed any crime runing to him anyway. The letter says, quote, it is alleged that the driver of the vehicle pulled alongside a group of cyclists and shouted single file, you bunch of and the next word starts with a C. Whilst riding to a breast may appear to take may it bear to take up more road space? Cyclists can ride to a breast and it can.
Speaker 1: Be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups.
Speaker 2: So please bear be a r that's not how U spell bear shame mind when using the roads. And I'm sure there are cyclists watching tonight who are like, hooray, finally someone standing up for us. But surely police resources could be better used than sending off letters to people for using naughty words. But to the cyclists who are watching and have encountered this before, well they know what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Have a look.
Speaker 8: But you really pressed me on what I haven't done anything that's the problem.
Speaker 2: But d'ant to bought you over down?
Speaker 1: Well, Tom Dimon all blah, don't you like her? Back to polite job, I get the back way. I am in the bicklayyah.
Speaker 3: Well just.
Speaker 2: For our deputy head of Programs, James Birtles, who was complaining before the show that we we're going to slag off cyclists here tonight. But surely the police have better things to do than sending off letters because someone swore it someone Well.
Speaker 4: Look even James of Defense.
Speaker 5: I was going to slag off cyclist until I got his email and discovered he was a cyclist. Now I am fighting for cyclists to the dead. I will die on this shill. These not all heroes wear capes somewhere like her.
Speaker 4: They shouldn't be wearing on behalf of the on behalf of the community.
Speaker 2: James James is actually a fit bloke, so he probably doesn't look as bad in like her as some of the blokes I see getting around.
Speaker 1: My father's a mammal bug.
Speaker 4: No, I I can't stand up for them.
Speaker 3: I almost had a heart attack just last week taking out a cyclist who seemed to think it was perfectly okay to cut in front of a car.
Speaker 1: He did not indicate that he.
Speaker 3: Was turning I'm going straight and I heard, for the first time in my life a grown man's scream. But it was terrifying thought for me. I almost someone through no fall to my own. This guy's just blissfully cycling along and decides to without even looking over his shoulder, so there wasn't any hand out.
Speaker 1: I'm about to go right. He didn't even look. He was just veering off to the right in front of me.
Speaker 3: It was absolutely terrifying, right into the police.
Speaker 1: When you should ride into the police and traumatize.
Speaker 2: The only problem is that because he's riding a bike, he doesn't have a registration plate or anything on the front, so they won't know who he is.
Speaker 1: They can't write back to it.
Speaker 4: I'm not for that.
Speaker 1: I'm not for that. I know you would be.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Actually, I do not think that bikes should be registered, because the one beauty of riding a bike is that you can break the law, you can run red lights, you can speak as you.
Speaker 4: Want, and you can die out of dark places. Here what are they? This is this is the existential question of the bike of the cyclist. What are you?
Speaker 5: I was in Darlinghurst, in City, in the city city, very urbane, sophisticated environment. You know, I would vote for Clover more and more often if they could. And I'm right there with my old stumping ground, and this perfectly like cool little, friendly, little inner city type is just sitting there in the cool little inner city fuel efficient motor vehicle and e bike user sort of crossed the road in front of them and then was and then was on the road in front of them, So it's just sort of like cross the road like a pedestrian and then and then took off like a car as I was using the lane, and.
Speaker 4: You could see the driver's head exploded and he.
Speaker 5: Just got okay, and you want car or and he didn't make up your mind?
Speaker 1: What are you?
Speaker 5: I think this is what This is what we've got to get to the bottom of, because everyone like there is they are?
Speaker 4: Is they think they are?
Speaker 5: This is a matter of intense psychoanalytical interest. This could change the way the human mind works.
Speaker 4: Is it a bird?
Speaker 1: Is it a plane?
Speaker 4: Is it an e is it a cycle?
Speaker 2: Let's stick in the UK for a moment where the Manchester Museum has well, I've been having a strange exhibition recently. They've decided that they need to reinterpret everything within the museum within the lens of lgbt IQ. I thought Pride Month was back in June, but apparently they're only just.
Speaker 1: Catching up Pride Month in the UK. That's correct. In fact, every day is Pride Day.
Speaker 2: They get to three hundred and sixty five days a year, and three hundred and sixty six in a leap year these days, it seems. But the Manchester Museum has seen fit to sort of tell you everything you're looking at in the museum and what sort of connection it might have to lgbt IQ history, which means they've deal into the history of a lot of the things that they have in this museum, including the texta Dormied Animals and who would have thought that taxidermied animals are proof of.
Speaker 1: All the discrimination in the world. Manchester Museums proved it somehow.
Speaker 9: So you can see behind me, Who've got a lot of birds, a lot of taxidermy birds, and so during the Victorian period was when a lot of these birds were taxidermy. The Victorian period was really run by sins, straight white men, and is very clear their perceptions that are shown in beers.
Speaker 1: So the woman was.
Speaker 9: Usually seen as quite submissive. That's why she's seen us lower down. The man was seen as very dominant, so that's when he was positioned higher up. And then having the children is really solidifying that nucleus family that was a big thing back day. What's very interesting as well is that when we actually look at the collection that we have, about eighty percent of the animals and insects are male. So even when we're looking around the museum, most of this as a proportional to what we see day to day.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, there are too many male taxidermy birds nuclear family, which was big back then, she says. She then goes on because that clip thing goes on for another minute or so. She then goes on to say that there are lots of examples of insects and stuff that they've got in the museum, and that these insects are intersex and you know, this is proof of the l g B t i Q stuff going on in the world. I thought, I thought we all knew that snails and certain fish and whatever can change their sex. Took nothing to do with them being l g B t i Q. I don't think a fish could tell you what it identifies as it's just a part of nature.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: But well, supposedly the penguins are gain but they never actually asked the.
Speaker 1: They just assumed because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine delving so deep into the fact that there are too many male texta dormied animals and thinking that that is proof of misogyny.
Speaker 3: Even taxidermied animals speak to.
Speaker 1: The fact that we're all oppressed.
Speaker 4: I just love the fact that she that she said that the Victorian period was run by straight hock.
Speaker 1: Did she forget who the queen was?
Speaker 4: There was one exception to that rule.
Speaker 5: Okay, she's right, she's right, But in almost every other case it was one fairly significant exception to that rule.
Speaker 3: Just the queen didn't get a mention, clearly doesn't know her history, among other things. Just quickly, before we go to the break, Elon Musk has agreed to censor Elon Musk basically in Brazil, following a court order. You may be across this long running now fight between Brazil, who does not want freedom of speech in its country and Elon, who's here to bring free speech to the world.
Speaker 1: They the court in Brazil.
Speaker 3: That is, has cut off star Link's assets. They literally froze their account to pressure the company to cover fines imposed on X, otherwise known as Twitter in Brazil. So Starlink, which is owned and operated by Elon Musk, has finally agreed to deplatform X, which is owned and operated by Elon Musk, to obey the court order while fighting using everything at his disposal to overturn this and get it back up and running.
Speaker 5: So despite all his money, despite all his money, all his wealth, all his power, all his intelligence, he still couldn't handle a Brazilian whack.
Speaker 1: Very evil judge.
Speaker 3: There's a lot more to this story, and I'm telling you we're in the fight of our lives when it comes to free speech in the free world.
Speaker 2: X Max the spot he After the break, we'll get into the papers and you'll learn that Bill Shorten has a fat dog.
Speaker 1: I promise you the story is better than it sounds. Little bit more.
Speaker 2: Let's get stuck into the papers, beginning with the camera times.
Speaker 3: The camera times, and a fat dog owned by departing MP Bill Shorten.
Speaker 4: No tears shed there care of the dog.
Speaker 3: The headline raids get it instead of hair of the dog, badoom tish.
Speaker 8: An emotionally warm bulldog named Walter help Bill Short and regroup after his dreams of becoming PM were shattered by his unlosable election defeat in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: With a new role at the University of Canberra, which will pay him one point one million dollars. After his retirement from parliament, the pair will be spending even more time in the capitol.
Speaker 2: Why we're supposed to care for high price, We're supposed to care?
Speaker 5: I think it's I mean, he's a major states and he's a major Australian political figure, the dog. He's leader of the he's leader of the biggest party in the country.
Speaker 1: For and managed to lose unlosable.
Speaker 3: I know, but he was so unlikable anyone could have beat him.
Speaker 4: That's smarting the dimples.
Speaker 3: I still remember that debate where I was just like, you just lost every vote in this country, even the hardcore labor voters, because he's just so smug all the time, with nothing to be smug about.
Speaker 4: It's okay to be smug for me.
Speaker 1: Usually got for me. It was the jogging with the demand boobs that kept.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Guys issues.
Speaker 5: I had my issues with Short for a while as well, over the various leadership change challenges and some other stuff. But you know, again, I think he's it doesn't make its own great work with the nd I s. The funniest thing.
Speaker 1: About this Thuy is quotable, quotes.
Speaker 4: Fantastic is he has made it finally laid the bones.
Speaker 5: At least for it actually to be workable and actually financially sustainable. All the writing it's it's very difficult thing to do. But he's cut down on the rotting. He's cut down on the kind of ridiculous sort of large s that was more.
Speaker 3: Ships and like exactly crystals exactly.
Speaker 4: And if there's no sex workers on cruise ships, then why would you want.
Speaker 1: To say, yeah, well that's what the Pineapples episode.
Speaker 5: But what is very funny is that there's a saying that in politics, if you want loyalty by a.
Speaker 4: Dog, got it.
Speaker 2: And Bill Bill Shorten would know about a lot about loyalty, wouldn't he. Well he did, But I just is this not the most Canberra story ever? Like so that the dude who could have been Prime Minister leaves Parliament and the front of the Canberra Times is he got a dog after he lost in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know if he've been a camera much. There's not a lot else going.
Speaker 5: Okay, to the greatest newspaper in the world from the greatest city in the world, the Daily Telegraph, and this yarn is absolutely spectacular. There's a little comment piece by very handsome journo in the paper to go with it.
Speaker 4: We would not believe this. We're too dense, is the class the headlight.
Speaker 5: Mossman locals say they have no room for new home, no room for you, the well heeled suburb of Mossman. Don't allow when the Telly gets involved a bit of class war.
Speaker 1: We're going to get complaints because you're not saying Mosman.
Speaker 5: Musman has been accused of not pulling its weight amid their state's housing crisis, delivering just sixteen new homes out of a proposed yearly.
Speaker 4: Target of one hundred hundred target.
Speaker 5: So to put this in perspective, right, black Town, which is basically the heart of greater western Sydney.
Speaker 4: I think it's the biggest LGA. It's got about two hundred fifty three hundred thousand residents in it.
Speaker 5: They had a target of four thousand, three hundred new homes.
Speaker 4: They exceeded it.
Speaker 5: They built more Mossman had a target of just one hundred and built just sixteen.
Speaker 4: They are shameless, they are well, this is the thing.
Speaker 5: And as I pointed out in my think, these are people who have four times more likely to go to private schools and the rest of the New South Wales population and twice is likely to have a university degree or higher. And so they're obviously not two days. They're obviously smart enough to know there's a housing crisis going on.
Speaker 4: They just don't give a raad.
Speaker 3: But the irony of very is, can we get that picture back up again. He's standing in his own home, obviously with ocean front views saying where full He literally says, forcing Mosman to build more homes quote just stinks end quote. So props to him, actually, because this is a mayor who actually is representing his constituency, because anyone who lives in Mossman knows the whole point of living in Mossman is to keep the unwashed out, the great unwashed out. The whole point of living in this hallowed suburb is that you're all just as rich as each other, and you're all that close to the beach, and you're all living it up and beautiful.
Speaker 5: The same local government area where residents complained about a bowls club because there was a trivia night and a kid's jumping castle. Another resident complained during COVID lockdowns about their neighbor allowing their kids into the backyard before nine am.
Speaker 4: Too much noise, our play.
Speaker 5: And also the same suburb which complained about it's only the only one in the entire The entire suburb complained about a COVID testing site.
Speaker 4: And the council shut it down.
Speaker 2: All complains, all complaints about this moment addressed to the late debate care of Joe Hildebrand, that.
Speaker 4: Meryl candidate, it's got himself.
Speaker 1: Exactly correct.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Australian tomorrow where it says, what a surprise, eat less red meat? Climate advice The government agency advising Anthony Albanezi on climate change is suggested Australians could eat less red meat to help produce greenhouse gas emissions amid revelations it may not give the Prime Minister crucial advice on a twenty thirty five target until after the election. And they always come back to this, got to eat less red meat, Gotta eat less red meat, got add.
Speaker 1: Insects eat zibugs zibugs.
Speaker 2: As they say at the World Economic Forum class schwab. And seriously, we've already know that they're talking about or going to rewrite the nutritional food pyramid thing to recommend not what is the most nutritious food, but what is supposedly the best for the planet. So even if red meat is better for you, they're going to tell you to eat other stuff to say the planet. Well, what's the point If I can't have my stake, I don't want to be on the planet.
Speaker 3: Well, news flash, the food pyramid was never about nutrition anyway. Remember when all the grains were at the top shore that is marvelous if you want obese people, some of which can't even process said grains, and they're all like, oh, five portions a day. Turned out to be a backdoor deal done with a certain industry at a certain time.
Speaker 1: Remember when eggs were like, oh.
Speaker 3: These are terrible cholesterol. Nobody touched them.
Speaker 1: Then eggs were back on top.
Speaker 3: Everyone eat eggs, great source of protein. These guys change their minds according to whatever the political whimsy of the day is.
Speaker 1: And here's more.
Speaker 4: Proof of it.
Speaker 3: It's happening in our time right arounder our noses. But this time they're not even pretending to say red meat's bad for you. It's just bad for the planet.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, got to say this.
Speaker 5: And remember when they said drinking sixteen standard drinks every single night was bad for you.
Speaker 2: Now I don't remember that, probably because I was too drunk to remember them saying it. Anyway, one thing that is good for you, because I always maintained you don't see a fat French person, but they do not exist.
Speaker 1: All they sizes and all that. It is really rich food. They eat lot.
Speaker 4: You're lucky you don't some meat French.
Speaker 2: I know, I know you hate the free you hate, but they they eat lots of red meat. They eat lots of carbs, they eat lots of fatty stuff like like bushes, and they eat lots of dairies.
Speaker 4: And lots of um, lots of humble pie.
Speaker 3: A lot of croissants.
Speaker 1: Jersey of dairy.
Speaker 3: At the front page of The Murk, we have a very sad story like King Island cream and cheese producer Clothses Dairies, Demise reads the splash. The shock announcement that the iconic King Island Dairy, which has operated for more than a Century will close next year. Has devastated the local community, which is fighting to keep it open. The announcement was made today that they are basically going under its sad that they make. They had your poles and lillies and buy up Beg.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can still.
Speaker 4: Say I make the best.
Speaker 5: Ironically, given that their French cheese has bit, Australians do it better. They makes the best Camembert and cheese and cheese.
Speaker 1: I just you know, and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Exactly why these shutting down, but you have to wonder whether it's a sad statement about where we're at now, where everyone's.
Speaker 1: Gluten free, dairy free. You know, everyone drinks alm and milk.
Speaker 2: If you can find me the teat on an arm and I'll believe it's arm and milk. The people are turning away from dairy. Now go out and buy some cheese, please, I promise you it's good for you. After the break, Vladimir Putin has thrown his weight behind one presidential candidate.
Speaker 1: This news has just come down. We'll tell you who it is soon, all right. If all the people in the world, you would not want to be I reckon. This navy commander is one of them.
Speaker 4: Jerm This is absolutely amazing. I just caught up with this.
Speaker 5: I'm usually up to speed with my military news, being a soldier of fortune myself.
Speaker 4: Just to kind of you know, like as you can see, outdoorsy kind.
Speaker 5: Of military, highly disciplined type. But this is the story of a navy warship commander. A commander of the naval warship the USS John McCain. You might be familiar with that name, Liz, which is currently I believe in he has been relieved of his duty, which is a polite way of saying being shown. The door dropped, the axe flushed down the toilet after a post that he posted on social media. And I don't know if we can get a close up of this post.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with this picture?
Speaker 3: Hmmm hm.
Speaker 2: He's actually really obvious, like he actually put that scope on himself.
Speaker 5: I don't know how he did it. I wouldn't have thought it was able to go in both ways. But basically he is lining up his firing site on himself. He's got the scope on backwards and he's posted this on social media. This has viral. The Navy got fully trilled and when you're you know, the world's biggest navy is getting trolled.
Speaker 4: That can be quite embarrassing.
Speaker 5: He has now been relieved of his duty about four months after the incident, and the Navy said that it was due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command the guide miss destroyer.
Speaker 4: I wonder why.
Speaker 1: I wonder why the bloke can't even operate.
Speaker 4: Seriously, you just.
Speaker 1: Jijinping.
Speaker 2: You have nothing to worry about now, I told you before. Breaking news Vladimir Putin has endorsed a presidential candidate for November.
Speaker 1: Who do you think it is? Of course, it's Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: Putin was speaking at an event today where he said that Joe Biden, who was previously his pick for president, had backed Kamala Harris, and so he will be doing the same, he said, we will do the same. We will support her. His reason for doing so.
Speaker 1: He says, is that she laughs so expressively and infectiously.
Speaker 2: That it means that everything is fine with her, and so it gets the impression because she seems to be so lovely, that maybe she'll refrain from putting any.
Speaker 1: Further sanctions on Russia.
Speaker 2: He then went on to say that Trump had put more sanctions on Russia than any other US president, and that he thought Trump was erratic and he couldn't predict what he wanted to do.
Speaker 1: So so Kamala bring it up.
Speaker 3: He's clearly picking the weakest. He's clearly picking the weakest. Before that, he was backing Biden because he said he was a more predictable politician. Of course, Russia is just going to choose whoever gives them the smallest pain in the neck, which would be Kamala.
Speaker 1: Don't you give everyone else a pain in the neck. That's it from us today, Thank you so much for joining us this week. Up next to the Reader Padding Show,