Speaker 1: Why on Sky News This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Night, Good evening, Sorry tonight, Albanezi accused of turning a blind eye to the antisemitism crisis. He failed to mention the terror threat in Federal caucus today.
Speaker 1: Former Home Affairs Secretary.
Speaker 2: Mike Bozzullo would join me in an exclusive interview. He's calling for an Operation Sovereign Border style campaign to tackle antisemitism. That's coming up in a moment also on the show tonight. Despite evidence from British Israeli hostage Emily Damari that she was held in UNRA facilities in Gaza, Penny Wong continues to send millions of your taxpayer dollars to the terrorist riddled organization, and ahead of the election, the top donors to both the Labor and Liberal parties revealed.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who they are tonight.
Speaker 2: Plus, Hollywood actor Daniel Lissing joins me on the show for an exclusive interview. But first, Anthony Albanesi continues to turn a blind eye to the antisemitism crisis. The Prime Minister addressed Federal Caucus today ahead of the final parliamentary sitting period before the election, and in his caucus address, he failed to even once mention the antisemitism emergency that Australia is experiencing. This is a wave of domestic terror. It's affecting our entire country, with a preschool and a synagogue in different states Firebond. But Albanezy didn't think it was important enough to mention. Instead, he told his MP's and I'm quoting, we begin twenty twenty five with a great sense of optimism.
Speaker 1: Optimism. What world is he living in?
Speaker 2: This is the most terrified time to live in Sydney or Melbourne in decades.
Speaker 1: Babs. Ever, if the.
Speaker 2: Prime Minister has really failed to understand the climate in the country, he supposedly leads that he is more out of touch than we realized. He's surrounded by high walls and twenty four to seven security at the Lodge and at Kiribilly House.
Speaker 1: He's shielded from.
Speaker 2: The wave of domestic terror that's unfolding on our streets, and his comments optimistic, everything's fine.
Speaker 3: His attitude is unforgivable.
Speaker 2: The fact that he's let our country degenerate to the point where criminals feel free to attack Jews is unforgivable. As Dennis Shanahan writes tonight in the Australian Anthony Albanese's caucus address signals he doesn't want to talk anti Semitism or an earlier elects. And here's what Dennis Shanahan told Peter Kradlin earlier.
Speaker 4: Anthony Alberesi has been unable to answer key security questions about the caravan bomb in Durall in Western Sydney, and he has tried to deflect the anti Semitism issue as much as he can. This week in the Parliament. He didn't mention it in his address to his labor colleagues, first address to the Labor Caucus this year.
Speaker 2: Make no mistake, this is the single most critical national security issue Australia confronts right now, yet Albanezi, the Prime Minister, doesn't want to know about it. Just on the weekend we saw anti Semitic attacks across Australia, including Jewish women being egged while walking down the street. The young women, aged in their twenties, were reportedly wearing Star of David necklaces like I Am in Bondi at nine point thirty on Saturday night and a group of men egged them. The car they were speeding around in was later found abandoned in a nearby suburb, Rose Bay, where the jerry can found inside and the egg carton.
Speaker 1: Police said that they're investigating.
Speaker 2: This as an anti Semitic incidents an.
Speaker 1: Say at this point in time, yes we are.
Speaker 2: That's what the police say officially on the record. Across the country this weekend there was also in Sydney in suburbs Randwick. In Kingsford, cars vandalized and walls and buildings with f jews. In Melbourne, a prominent Jewish business leader's home who I'm not going to name was also graffiti with the star of David and in Wa a.
Speaker 1: Swastika and more f jews.
Speaker 2: This anti Semitic vandalism has sadly become normalized. Even police admit antisemitism is now normal. This was Deputy Police Commissioner Dave Hudson saying on Thursday that the caravan with explosives wasn't your normal anti Semitic attack.
Speaker 5: Obviously, the discovery and the detection of the caravan contained with an amount of explosives was not known to be used in the normal anti Semitic attack that we have seen occur in Sydney, such as graffiti and arson attacks.
Speaker 2: How can there now be a normal anti Semitic attack. This is the reality of life in Australia right now. As the Deputy Police Commissioner said, anti Semitic attacks are now normal. Antisemitism has become normalized in our country under Anthony Albanesi. Yet the Albanese government struggles to call out anti Semitism when it's from the pro Palestinian or pro Hamas Kraut.
Speaker 3: It seems they can only talk about the Neo Nazis.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister on Kyle and Jackie O's show on Thursday morning, and that was one of his first interviews after the news broke of the very serious terror threat of the caravan full of explosives.
Speaker 3: Well, in that interview he only mentioned Neo Nazis.
Speaker 6: I think the Asia Director General Mike Burgess has been much more public in recent years to go through about the threat that comes from a range of sources, from the rise of far right groups and we saw Neo Nazis marching in Adelaide, coming from all over Australia.
Speaker 2: Not one mention of the threat from Pro Hamas supporters from Radical Islam, which by the way, Mike Burgess has spoken about. He calls it religious extremism. Penny Wang today this morning also spoke repeatedly about white supremacist groups.
Speaker 7: Terogram is a network which enables and is utilized by white supremacist groups, people and groups who spread hate White supremacists. Terrorists who are utilizing this network now face financing counter counter terrorism sanctions if they engage in with the assets or providing financial supports.
Speaker 2: Why can't the Albanezy government also speak about the threats from the pro Palestinian crowd. Police told me on the record categorically that both the pro Hamas activists and the Neo Nazis pose a threat to the Jewish community. The pro Harmus crowd and the Neo Nazis both pose a current threat to the Jewish community.
Speaker 1: Don't they.
Speaker 8: Whether that's threat or just a traditional ideological opposition to Zionism and Jewish interests, that's certainly the case, and it's most unfortunate that it continues to be the case, particularly when it's in our community.
Speaker 2: That's certainly the case, he said. Now, along with this police admission, we are seeing evidence that both are behind some of the recent incidents. One of the individuals facing court in relation to the first Willara vandalism and torching spree, has A hesbela tattoo on his neck Hesbela tattoo, And we've also seen swastikas graffitd Onto synagogues and the Neo Nazis chanting on the steps of the Victorian Parliament.
Speaker 1: Why man, breedom, man, freedom with the white man.
Speaker 2: The threats very clearly are from both Islamic extremism and Neo Nazis. Yeah, the Albanzi government seems more comfortable speaking.
Speaker 3: About the Neo Nazis, and perhaps.
Speaker 2: Albanzi government ministers are reluctant to speak about Islamic fundamentalism because they don't want to lose the support or any votes from their Muslim constituents. And the Albanzi government continues to support problematic institutions like UNRA, despite evidence emerging that hostages were held captive in camps run by UNRA. British Israeli hostage Emily Damari told Kirs Stamer on her release that she was held in an UNRA facility. She said she was also denied medical treatment despite being shot in the hand and the leg while she was in the UNRA facility. Harmas only gave her an out of date bottle of iodine to treat her gunshot wounds. So UNRA facilities are being run by terrorists, yeat. The Albaneze government is still sending millions of taxpayer.
Speaker 1: Dollars your money to UNRA.
Speaker 2: In total, Albanezi has given millions and millions of dollars to UNRA since October seven, tens of millions of dollars since October seven, that since the terror attacks on Israel. Even after evidence emerged that UNRA employees committed some of those October seven atrocities, the Albenezi government continued to fund the corrupt and disgraceful institution, and it continues to do so despite Emily Demari being held hostage in an honor facility.
Speaker 1: There's no excuse for this, and.
Speaker 2: Surely Petti Wong should now be revising her assessment that Palestinian statehood is a top priority after she saw the grotesque scenes of her must terrorists surrounding one female hostage on Thursday night as Abel Yehood was finally set free. Look at that the terrorists were despicable as they surrounded her. Arbel is twenty nine years old. She's an innocent civilian. Look at her being swamped, frightened. She looks like she's being swallowed up by these horrible monsters. She must have been beyond terrified.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Also released over the weekend was.
Speaker 2: Yarden Bibas, whose wife, Shiri Bibas, and whose two young children.
Speaker 1: Kafir and Ariel, are feared to be deaf.
Speaker 2: Yah Dan arrived home to Israel without his wife or children, and I'm sure none of us can begin to imagine his pain.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I've reported before that Israel believes Shii, Kafir and Ariel were murdered by Hamas. There can be nothing in this world worse than a nine month old baby and his four year old brother being kidnapped from their home by terrorists and then if what Israel believes is true and then murdered.
Speaker 1: I mean the very idea of children stolen from.
Speaker 2: Their homes, their toys, their families, their happy life, and taken to dark tunnels where they would have been starved and treated cruelly and then killed. Kafir and Ariel and Shiri and Yarden all deserved better than this. The Red Cross, Amnesty International, UNICEF, Doctors Without Borders, OXFAM, and World Vision all let them down. They should be As shamed. The United Nations let them down. These holier than our organizations claim the moral high ground, but they have.
Speaker 1: No morals at all.
Speaker 2: They're a disgrace watching what has happened to the Bibas family and to those despicable scenes of terrorists intimidating young innocent women.
Speaker 1: This should be a wake up call, but it won't be. We have seen the true nature.
Speaker 2: Of this barbaric, brutal and misogynistic culture that the leftist labor crowd continue to bizarrely support. Who in their right rational mind would side with those harmus monsters who raped and beheaded and slaughtered innocent children, teenagers and families instead of siding fair.
Speaker 1: And square with a nine month old baby.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's bring in now Sky News host Joe Hildebrand and Steve Price.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you both.
Speaker 2: Steve, so much to talk about, but I want to ask you about how the Prime Minister has failed to speak about anti Semitism at Federal Caucus today when we are all experiencing every Australian this wave of domestic terror.
Speaker 9: It just beggars belief. I mean, it's extraordinary that the Prime Minister does not feel that he needs to come out and be as strong as he possibly can against this wave of anti Semitism. It's almost as if, and you put it perfectly, it's almost as if he has convinced himself that somehow it's not real. Surely, Prime Minister, you've been to the scene of the childcare City, You've been to the synagogue in Melbourne. You must realize that this is now something that you've got to be a hell of a lot tougher on. I mean, you had the former Health Minister Greg Hunt, the former Treasurer Josh Friedenberg again at the weekend pleading with the government to do more.
Speaker 7: What do they do.
Speaker 9: They just wheel out a few more twists and turns in their hate laws and they're going to do some deal with the Greens apparently. I mean, god forbid that you've got Marine Farouki, who refuses to even condemn a mask for what happened on the seventh of October. She's the one who's going to be negotiating on behalf of the Greens. I don't think Anthony Albanez he gets it. I just think he's in this weird bubble in Canberra and he somehow thinks that it's not happening. I don't know. I can't explain it.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine speaking about optimism as being the tone Joe when that's not the real in Sydney, Australia, irrespective of your your faith, or nationality or background.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, look in terms of the PM's kind of personality, I've always said that his confidence and optimism is both his greatest strength and his greatest flaw, his great weakness. And I think I think there is probably a sense, certainly there is a problem in the cultural left, and there's a problem in you know, very large elements in the PMS in a where Sydney electorate, that there is just this completely bonkers counter narrative that these people tell each other like an ideological it is an ideological dogma where everything you just said kind of almost didn't happen, that they honestly live in an alternate reality. I'll give you an example. You showed the footage of the musk terrorists masked, you know, crushing this poor hostage as they pushed through the crowds. I had someone someone who just constantly after every single column, whether it's about Palestine or Israel or not. We'll sort of write in with all this sort of crazy propaganda saying, how dare you more media propaganda? Hear these mass warriors were there protecting this poor hostage from the Palestinian crowds, and you think they're the bad guys. And I honestly it sort of did my head in to try to figure out what on earth this person was coming from. It's one of those points, Hang on a minute, you were left here a neo Nazi. And the thing is that these people end up in the same place. There was a famous case a few years ago where an actual neo Nazi, a white supremacist, tried to join a Green's sponsored function in favor of Palestine and against Israel because I thought, oh great, we're all on the same page here. So it's no wonder you have left wing activists, mask sympathizes and neo Nazis all responsible for these acts because they're all on the same side.
Speaker 1: And it's irrational.
Speaker 2: And at some point, you know, those sort of people have to acknowledge that they themselves are racist.
Speaker 10: Their brains are just broken. And labor has needs and I think I think the scales of peeling off that labour needs to make sure and there are plenty of people in the Labor pardy who realize how bonkers and damaging you crazy.
Speaker 2: It's not the whole Labor Party because you can look at Premier Chris Myth.
Speaker 10: That's right, it's just elements of the hard left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and unfortunately the Prime Minister comes from the hard left, as does Penny Wank. Now let's have a look at this disgraceful story in New South Wales that you might have heard about it tonight. It was front page of the Sunday Telegraph as well. They broke the story. The New South Wales Transpot Minister Joe Halen has been slammed for using taxpayer funds to splash on a chauffeur for a private winery trip on the Australia Day Long weekend. This was Linda Silmalis's story. She's an excellent journalist. Here's what the minister said about it today.
Speaker 11: While that travel was within the rules, it doesn't meet the pub test and I fully acknowledge that and I own that mistake. Stick my hand up and say I made the wrong decision. Here I apologize for it, and that's why I'm also repaying the cost of that trip.
Speaker 2: In full, and Chris Mins has also been criticized for saying that he's not going to sack her or another minister who went with her on that taxpay funded, schaffer driven ride.
Speaker 1: Here's the premiere. I want you sacked, Joe Haylo.
Speaker 3: And Rose Jackson, but extraordinary used taxpay Lindy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Look, I'm not going to sack the ministers. I appreciate that this is a major error and a big lapse of judgment, and I am confident and I'm hopeful, and I've told them both that I expect that they'll learn from this mistake and that they won't repeat it.
Speaker 2: Steve Price, you can imagine if this was labor ministers, you know, using a taxpay funded schaffer to go to a winery.
Speaker 1: You can imagine that outcry from labor. How oh, you know what this is? Hypocrisy?
Speaker 9: Well, it's unbelievable. And Chrismins has made a couple of big errors in the last couple of weeks, this in particular where he says I'm not going to sack the minister. Well, imagine what it was like this afternoon when you were in the Premier's office and suddenly the telegraph reports will hang on. It's not just the big Winery booze up trip. She's been using show for driven government cars to transport her son, according to The Daily Telegraph, back into Sydney at the weekends to play sport, and then took her family to some picnic up in the Blue Mountains, which was a two hundred kilometer round trip as well. Now she's a Minister for Transport, it seems that her interest in transport only only amounts to show for driven cars provided by the taxpayer.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, Joe, you know this is a terrible look.
Speaker 2: There's a cost of living crisis the transport minister. What's wrong with the buses or the trades.
Speaker 10: It's disgraceful. There's no excuse for it. I think even the sort of even trying to argue that it was technically within the rules is an extremely foolish thing to do.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a sackable eventse No, Look, I think.
Speaker 6: I don't think.
Speaker 10: I don't. I don't think heads on pikes are necessarily always the answer, and Chris Means is right about that. But I think it does the fact that it is so, I mean, Chris Means, she's you know, Joe Halen has come out and said, oh, but it was within the rules. Chris Means has immediately come out and said, well, that's why we're going to change the rules so that this can't happen. The only reason why ministers have this discretion is they're meant to be able to use their judgment to say to rail workers, oh, sorry, no you can't have a pay rise because it's too extravagant, or we can't afford it. Well, at the same time, racking up a seven hundred and fifty dollars taxi bill on New South Wales takes taxpayers. I mean, it's really damaging. Chris Means I can assure he's asolutely filthy. You can see the look on the Deputy Premier's face standing behind.
Speaker 1: Him as she just she was trying to get out of shot.
Speaker 9: She daggers.
Speaker 10: You could actually see the daggers flying from her eyes and very quickly when us it's just from left faction.
Speaker 2: Incidentally, Yeah, let's get to this, that's why they'd be that's such hypocrisy. Steve Price, I want to ask you about this trade war that Donald Trump is being criticized for, and we're also starting to see the Albenezy government here in media reporting saying oh, well, if there's not a rate cut, it's Donald Trump's fault.
Speaker 9: Well, seriously, I mean, was anyone surprised that Donald Trump suddenly introduced tariffs on Canada and Mexico. You've spent the whole year on the presidential campaign saying that if I win the presidency, I'm going to put tariffs on the crowd because they keep letting illegals flat across the border, both from Canada and from Mexico. I mean, was anyone surprised by this? I mean, and fancy suggesting that, you know, if we don't get a rate cut, a's Donald Trump's fault. Please leave me alone.
Speaker 2: All right, Steve Price, Joe huder Brand, thank you, fod so much for seeing us.
Speaker 1: All right, let's return to this wave of domestic terror.
Speaker 2: There's no question the Albinezy government it hasn't done enough on national security. There's one person who knows this better than anyone. He knows this area inside out because he used to lead the Home Affairs Department as secretary. Mike Pozzulo joins me now from Canberra. Mike, thank you so much to have you on the show. Great to have you on the show once again. Look, you're saying that an operation Sovereign Borders style or campaign should now take place to tackle anti Sammitism.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by this?
Speaker 13: Well, good evening, Sharion A very pleased to be here to talk about a very grim topic. Security issues typically are in the background and their chronic, whether they're public safety of domestic security. You just simply assume that the agencies have got a grip on the issues. When they become acute though, and it's not just in this area as violent as a borrent as recent developments have been, but whether you've got a major cyber attack, the wave that we saw when the Islamic State Caliphate was rampant it for a few years, whether it's boat arrivals, you need a very strong ministerial leadership of unified command and control arrangements, not so that you can direct the field operatives. They know what they're doing. We have fantastic operators in both the Federal Police in ASIO and the New South Wales Police. It's really about the upstream issues. Why is this happening, What are the strategic gramifications of it worsening? What can we do to prevent people ID eighting or getting on boats or attacking us through cyber whatever the issue is. OSP was a very successful template that not only staunched the flow of boats in twenty thirteen and fourteen, but it worked principally because there was a single line of empowered authority from the Prime Minister to mister Morrison to Lieutenant General Angus Campbell. It didn't mean that Angus Campbell, who was the first OSB commander, all of sudden became a policeman or all of sudden became the head of another agency. He coordinated effort, galvanized it. If agencies then had to say General Campbell, we can do that, but to get legal authority, we need to get this type of warrant, he would say, fine, get on and do it. It's that really bringing people together, that is the galvanizing value of a cross agency and in this case, I think multi jurisdictional task force.
Speaker 2: Mike, we've seen this multiple attacks now that most normal people would be considered would consider terrorist incidents. You know, a caravan full of explosives that could create if it was detonated, a forty meter blast wave. Do you think there's a case for the terror threat.
Speaker 1: Level to be raised.
Speaker 13: Look not necessarily. First of all, there are a professional judgment seed to be applied by the National Threat Assessment staff in ASIO, who are world's best leading. They are fantastic. I work very closely with them through their Director General for many years. We already have from August of last year, Shari the level raised to probable. That means in the next twelve months, so from August of twenty four through to August of this year, there is a fifty percent chance, in fact greater than fifty percent chance of an attack either being undertaken or planned to be executed and gets thwarted or disrupted. So we're already at a level of greater than fifty percent risk of it occurring. For the Director General now to go to expect it, which is the next level up, and I've got very deep confidence in mister Burgess and his staff. They would really need something much more fine grain to say there is an attack that can be expected at any moment, and for that to occur without causing undue alarm I think would be a very big step. I think that a probable We're already at a situation where we should be activating these CT arrangements in the way that I've been describing. In any event, probably should have been doing so from last August when the level was raised.
Speaker 2: I think the reality is, irrespective of whatever the technical criteria is, the terror threat is expected.
Speaker 1: We are expecting something. Every week.
Speaker 2: It seems that there is another incident, another fire bombing, which is ideologically motivated, because we know that because there's anti Semitic graffiti ideologically motivated. So it is happening, It is unfolding around us. Mike Bisula, I want to ask you.
Speaker 13: I should say I agree with you completely. By the way, I just want to be very clear. I'm distinguishing between the clinical, technical standards and thresholds versus the lived experience. I can't imagine what it would be like living as a Jewish Australian person in Sydney, Melbourne, or indeed anywhere else. You certainly would feel that apprehension of an expected attack. So I don't want to take anything away from that visceral feeling that regrettably some members of our community have, and they should have. They should feel safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, Mike Bisilo, do you think it was a wise idea to issue nearly three thousand visas to Gazans from a terrorist controlled zone when they're educated and brought up to hate Jews, at a time when we have an anti Samitism crisis. Isn't this showing extreme disregard for anti Sammitism?
Speaker 13: Not necessarily, I understand the number of the question. There is an issue here of judgements about character. Last year there was a debate about whether there'd been an ASIO screening, and again ASIO have to apply very high thresholds in terms of the security assessments that the Director General has to make. I think from an abundance of caution, and I can just speak from my personal preference. I wasn't the Secretary at the time I left office in September of twenty three. Of course, the borrant attacks occurred in October over of twenty three. From an abundance of caution, I probably would have paused any consideration, even from a character point of view. In other words, I would have applied a character lens, which is able to be done through the Migration Act by way of minister or direction, really just to pause all of those visas, just to work through precisely that issue. So there's a question of the security assessment that the ASIO Director General has to apply, and by law, he makes that assessment under the very strict criteria the ASIO Act.
Speaker 8: And then there are.
Speaker 13: Character judgments that have to be applied by the decision makers who work ultimately under the authority of the Immigration Minister.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, out of an abundance of caution, you would have paused the intake from Gaza after October seventh.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I would have. If you were running Homer facts considered, I.
Speaker 13: Would have taken a step back, consulted with Five Eyes partners, consulted with the Israelis. Of course, there are checks done. You can't cross into Egypt without going through an Israeli checkpoint. That would have helped. I would have just I would have pulled all of that material together, put a freeze on. And this can be done by way of ministerial direction, because ministers can under the Migration Act not either turn or modify individual decisions made by decision makers, but they can set parameters for decisions.
Speaker 8: I would have just.
Speaker 13: Until the situation became clearer and after extensive consultation with Five Eyes, European, Israeli and other colleagues, I would have taken an extra cautious view of those visas on character grounds and not just simply the more narrow lens that the Director General of Security has to buy law apply in a very restricted fashion. And we had that debate last here about whether there was.
Speaker 2: It's a sensible approach, Mike Bizulo, if you were still Secretary of Home Affairs, but you know the Abenezi government moved on you in September twenty twenty three despite all of your hard work over a long career, including Operation Sovereign Bordis, which we began speaking about tonight. Mike Bazilla, really appreciate your coming on the show tonight. Now still to come the latest ads from Labor and the Coalition and they show where the election fight is heading. Plus Australia's top political donors revealed you'll be surprised.
Speaker 1: By some of the results. That and more with my political panel next.
Speaker 2: All right, let's bring in our political panel now, former media advisor to Scott Morrison Andrew Carswell and former.
Speaker 1: Chief of Staff to Bill Sholt.
Speaker 3: And Cameron Miln are great to see you both.
Speaker 2: Now the government has launched a scare campaign against Peter Peter Dutton personally, I want to get your take on it.
Speaker 1: Here it is.
Speaker 14: These are all cost of living measures introduced by the federal Labor government because we understand the pressure families are under and every little bit helps. But look who was opposed to every single.
Speaker 1: One of them.
Speaker 14: Whichever way you look at it, you'll be worse off under Dutton.
Speaker 2: Now let's see what you think will be more effective that Labor ad or this coalition.
Speaker 15: Out Later, I started a small family business. It grew to forty staff who had families, mortgages and aspirations, which means that you were relied on to balance the books and be responsible as a minister. I learned that a strong economy and a safe community are central to everything that you sometimes need to stand up to vested interests and always make decisions in our national interest.
Speaker 2: Cameron, what does this tell you about how Labor and the Coalition are now pitching themselves?
Speaker 16: Well, telling you that Peter Dutton has actually got some really positive numbers, and he's obviously opened up with a very professional ad talking about himself. The piece you miss which I love the most of that ad is the picture of him and John Howard actually which is the next section of that ad. I think it's a perfect and poignant moment of peed Dutton's history in politics. But it tells you Labour's running scared. I mean, Labor promised a new politics, Albert promised that politics is going to be changed by him, and he said he's just gone back the sludge bucket, got the mark and started to throw it. I mean, this is just a that said though, it's a pretty weak ad. It's a pretty weak negative, a bit like Labour's leader, a bit like Labour's leader agreed.
Speaker 1: It's not a good ad.
Speaker 2: I mean you've got to read what's in each of the boxes. You know, no one has time for that when they're busy. You need an ad that's going to grab you straight away if you're making school lunches or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Andrew clearly in our busy lives. Yeah, Andrew clearly.
Speaker 2: There's an effort from Dutton's campaign campaign to sell him as the human they're trying to, you know, change his image a little bit, soften it a little bit.
Speaker 17: What do you think, Well, first and foremost, I actually disagree on the Labor I think it's more effective than you're giving it credit for Yes, it's a little bit wordy at the start, but clearly they are moving away from this strategy where they're denigrating Peter Dutton for his strong leadership characteristics. That was never going to work. That's actually pointing to that guy, and so they vote for him because he's strong, and when Australians are crying out for strong leadership, they're going to get flocked towards the guy that is actually strong. So I think it's actually a sensible ad from Labor for once. I must admit it gets the tone right and it's clearly directed at women voters as well. I think it just taps into that innate thought that women voters have towards essential services and the funding of essential services.
Speaker 3: So I think it taps into that.
Speaker 17: But it's very clear also on the flip side, that this is the Dutton that most people see behind the scenes, and that is what's been trying that Liberal Party are trying to to address you. They have this preconceived idea who Peter Dutton is, based on the work that he has done in this place, the hard jobs that he's had to undertake, the fact that he's been an attack dog on behalf of very determined governments. So that's one side of Peter Dutton, but not often people see the other side, and those that have worked closely with him and know him personally know that what's been displayed on this at is the Peter Dutton.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's have a look at who the biggest donors have been to the political parties over the past year. Topping the list for Labor, perhaps surprisingly was billiardaire Anthony Pratt. He gave a million dollars to the Labor Party. The Liberals received nearly six hundred thousand dollars from Merit and properties controlled by Harry Triggerbof and five hundred thousand dollars from Gina Ryan Hartz Hankock prospecting Cameron. This is quite interesting and this is during the past year, so we don't know the election period yet but this could change once again.
Speaker 16: It could. But what's good about this is we've got disclosure. It's good in the Australia that we actually got transparency around the political donations that I made. And I think corporate Australia should be contributing the political process. And I think when you see Anthony Prat over the years and usy holdings, you'll find they're pretty equal, So next year I suspect it will square up. But nevertheless, it's great that they're involved and great they're making that contribution because they should be involved in our politics and they should be supporting our political parties of both political persuasions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we know that Anthony Pratt just gave fifteen million dollars to Trump's campaign, so you never know he could support Peter Dutton this time around.
Speaker 1: We just don't know yet.
Speaker 2: Andrew, can you tell us a bit about Climate two hundred and the Teals funding and how that compares.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I don't honestly have an issue with the funding on either side of politics, and even with the Teals as well. I agree transparency is king here. We have a great system of transparency that shines a light on who is giving what and for what reason, and I think that's appropriate. But we're not talking big dollars here. Also, compared to the American system, I think a lot of political parties here in Australia they seriously run off the smell of an oily rag. So we don't see that top of issue here with other jurisdictions, And I would note too that even when people do throw tens of millions of dollars at the political system, it doesn't necessarily buy you influence, as Clok Palmer found out.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, well, there was an interesting piece in The Australian Today. Chris Mitchell, the columnist has described the partnership between the Prime Minister and the treasurer as similar to between Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard. Cameron Milner, you know these characters, these people very well. What did you think of this column and this analysis?
Speaker 16: Well, look, the Albany's government's far worse than the rug Gillard Rud period, and for one simple reason. The Labor caucus should be doing its job and finishing off a lazy and week leader. They did it, did it to write when he failed? They did it's a Gillard when she failed. The Labor caucus has outsourced their response ability to voters at the next election rather doing what they should have done, which is roll the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's fascinating to hear you say that the current Albanezer government is worse than the Rud Gillard Rudd chaos worse And I think that is what a lot of people are starting to say that this is the worst prime minister perhaps in Australia's history. All Right, Andrew, we're out of time. We'll get your response next week. Great to have you both with us again. Now coming after the break, my exclusive interview with Hollywood actor Daniel Lissing. He's one of the few people in Hollywood speaking out about antisemitism, and after the break he shares his very personal family story.
Speaker 1: Don't miss it, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't seen enough people in Hollywood who are truly influential speaking out about the antisemitism crisis that's affecting the entire international community. Australian born actor Daniel Lissing. He's known for his roles on TV series like Last Resort and When Calls, The Heart and The Rookie, also in many Christmas movies. He joined me to tell the remarkable story of his grandparents and how they survived the Holocaust.
Speaker 17: Here it is.
Speaker 1: Daniel's so great to have you on the show. Thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 18: Thank you so much for having me, Sherry. I'm grateful you asked me to be on.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me a bit about this project? If you heard what I heard?
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, If You Heard What I Heard is a great nonprofit. It was founded in twenty twenty one in April by a woman here in Los Angeles named Carolyn Siegel, and she is the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors. And she witnessed Andy Semitic incident the year before and thought that if these people had heard the stories that she had heard from her grandparents growing up, then then maybe there'd be a little less hate in the world. And so she founded this organization. Out of all the organizations to do with anti Semitism, the Holocaust Jewish Affairs, this is the only one that has a primary focus on the last generation to ever hear the story's first hand from Holocaust survivors, the grandchildren like me. So If You Heard What I Heard interviews the grandchildren of Holocaust survivors so that we might continue their legacy and continue the stories of their heartbreak and resilience and strength to a younger generation.
Speaker 2: Daniel, I think the story of your grandparents is just so remarkable. Rebecca and Herman, can you tell us about what they went through?
Speaker 18: My grandparents were young, normal kids growing up in Amsterdam in the nineteen thirties, and then when war broke out. A lot of the Dutch population thought, well, this couldn't possibly come to Dutch soil, and of course it did. And during that time, as the Nazis were occupying Holland and the sanctions were coming in and the roundups and the deportations and the laws and restrictions against the Jewish people systematically, my grandparents met. They joined the Dutch underground, They fell in love, and they did all they could to resist this month that was taking over Holland and Europe. By the time my grandparents my grandmother's parents were deported, they decided it was time for them to escape, and that's what they tried to do, to get across the border down into Belgium. But soon after they were both captured about six weeks apart, and then sent to Auschwitz, which I'm sure your viewers know was the biggest Nazi death camp there was. And my grandmother said to me that, you know, we were Dutch. The life expectancy for a Dutch girl, because there was the women's camp and the men's camp, the life expectancy for a Dutch girl was only six weeks there in the camps, and by all records, out of the sixteen hundred people on her transport, which was Transport twenty three force, survived out of sixteen of those people were gone to the guest chambers on that very first day. Because she was young and strong, she was allowed to try and work. But every day new people were coming in and they had to make room, and so they would do selections and if you failed the selections, you were off to the guest chambers.
Speaker 2: It's such a miracle, a true miracle that both Rebecca and herman survived the concentration camps, including Auschwitz. And after miracle, because one point one million Jews were killed in Auschwitz, how did they reconnect afterwards?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 18: Yeah, so through through the camps. My there was messages occasionally going back and forth between the camps, and my grandmother had heard that herman had died of typhus early on, and so she had lost hope until the death March. The death March was, you know, walking in rags in minus ten minus twenty snow through Poland. They crossed a man's camp, and my grandmother had heard that herman was alive, but he wasn't going to make it. So that was the little glimmer of hope. But there was no way that he was going to survive it. So so she at that point, I think, just lost the will to live, and somehow she says this, she said that to me. But somehow she held on to liberation, which was not long after that. And when she was suffering from typhus herself, she was thirty three kilograms in wait. She was destroyed, emotionally, physically, spiritually gone and she was sent back to Amsterdam to a hospital there, but the hospital really couldn't treat her. And there was this there was this hospice in just north of Amsterdam. Now, my grandfather after liberation was very much in the same boat, you know, but he had hope that maybe his wife survived, maybe because she was strong, she was a fighter, he knew that, and he said about finding her. And so he spent after liberation, he spent weeks diting his way across Europe from Poland to get back to Holland, and he would stop at Red Cross stations, hospitals, and he Allied troops that would be giving care to these prisoners.
Speaker 8: He was looking for her.
Speaker 18: Yeah, So he was dotting his way across Europe to try and find his wife. And he was stopping at all these places, searching her name and looking at manifests and things like that. Eventually he found the right one and led back to the Netherlands. He got on a train he went there. He was standing outside her hospital room and there was a woman there that was taking care of her and said, she's so fragile right now. She believes your head. It's a miracle you're here. Just wait, I have to I have to tell her that you were outside the room. And this Kara walks in and tells Rebecca, this is going to be a shock, but a family member survived your husband. He's standing outside this room, and she didn't want to believe it. She hit under the covers and she felt this presence come into the room. My grandfather walked in and she was screaming go away. You know, she just couldn't believe that anyone could survive what she had survived. She was ready to die, she'd given up, and when they were reunited, she had a reason to live.
Speaker 2: Daniel, listen, thank you so much for sharing this incredible story with us.
Speaker 18: Thank you for your time, I mean, honestly, anytime, mate, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Such a lovely guy and I've written up that full story of what happened after Rebecca and herman reconnected.
Speaker 3: It'll be on the Sky News website a bit later.
Speaker 2: But after the break Peter Dutton's secret weapon ahead of the election. Stay tuned, all right. Well, it's interesting to see how relaxed Peter Dutton looks at the start of an election year. He's relaxed, he's confident, and he's quietly confident of a win. Dutton is also softening his image by bringing his family into the election campaign, and I hear we'll be seeing more of Peter Dutton's twenty two year old daughter Rebecca over the coming months. She's set to pop up more in her dad's campaign materials. She already had her first appearance in this campaign.
Speaker 15: At later, I started a small family business. It grew to forty staff who had families, mortgages and aspirations, which means that you were relied on to balance the books and be responsible. As a minister. I learned that a strong economy and a safe community are central to everything. That you sometimes need to stand up to vested interests and always make decisions in our national interest.
Speaker 2: We saw in the US election the Donald Trump's son Baron, he became popular online. His granddaughter Kai Trump also gave a speech at the Republican Convention. Now, Duttan is known as a tough politician, and we need that in the country at the moment. We need someone who's strong, not weak. His wife Kiri Lee and his daughter Rebecca will help present a softer and more family friendly image to win over some of the female voters the coalition needs to win the next election.
Speaker 1: Now that's it for me.
Speaker 2: I'll see you here tomorrow at eight o'clock. We've got another great show tomorrow night. David Coleman, he'll be on. He's the new Foreign Affairs shadow spokesman, so don't miss his interview.
Speaker 1: But right now, here's Paul Murray.