Speaker 1: Welcome to the Daily Telegraph and I Roll podcast. I'm Michael carry Ons and with me is David Riquel and Brent Reid. And how are we fellas? Look, before we get into the footy stuff, we're gonna have some big news around dinner at the end of the At the end of the show featuring Brent.
Speaker 2: Reid, I am wait, how are we You're going well?
Speaker 1: Going well?
Speaker 3: I've just rolled the slaves up. I still like I'm in the mood today.
Speaker 4: Boys pressure.
Speaker 5: Heading towards big game of a big round of footy, but also.
Speaker 4: To Origin three.
Speaker 1: Origin three. It's a bit weird when we discuss Origin at the moment because no dramas in your South Wales. All the dramas with you blex, no.
Speaker 4: No drama were Queenslanders.
Speaker 1: Queens drama drama A couple of change. We've got former players callings for the accident.
Speaker 3: So when there's changes is what's the Queensland is? What does that mean?
Speaker 4: I had no idea what he was talking about. Idea, But we are Queensland. It is true. Maxwell Law.
Speaker 1: Be able to translate Queensland speak for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just it's a rallying call for the state but I just trying to get the state behind the team rather than turn on them.
Speaker 1: Cool. But the news this week, Dave you sort of kickstarted disregarding Zach Lomax. What's the layer of the land there?
Speaker 5: Look, I wrote a column Mickey and Redman about how I just didn't really understand.
Speaker 3: The sense of Zach going to Paramata, given how much has changed since he signed.
Speaker 5: With the Eels, requested the release from Saints, takes a pay cut, takes less money, wants to go play center, moves to the wing, becomes the game's best winger at this point in time, signs under Brad Arthur, Brad Arthur's no longer there, and there's all these little factors, and I thought it was just just doesn't make one hundred percent sense to me, and therefore wrote that column.
Speaker 3: It's led to.
Speaker 5: Look, my understanding is if Zach had his time over again, it probably would have taken his time. He probably wouldn't have rushed into the decision that he's made. Does that mean he is now not going to go to a PARAMOUNTA.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't me.
Speaker 5: Personally, I think it would be extremely difficult for Zack to get out of this contract.
Speaker 1: Almost impossible.
Speaker 5: There's no clauses, there's no real parameters of an emotional aspect to get out of it.
Speaker 1: The only way it could happen day is if the new coach goes, you're not for me. Yeah, and with the form that is in, you'd find that very very difficult to happen, right, But that would be the only way. The coach comes in and goes, look, okay, I could do without for whatever reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he could do with the new coach. The new coach might have a tie to another player. Yeah, that he goes, well, actually, I can get such and such in at three hundred and fifty thousand and just let Zack stay it.
Speaker 1: Say that's the only way. But I think Zack ends up for Paramatta next year. Yeah, look, my gup, phel is that too?
Speaker 4: Also?
Speaker 5: That doesn't Again, I'm not going to run away from the fact. Yeah, I'm a firm believer that Zach has a sense of cold feet about the situation because of everything that's changed.
Speaker 4: It's just going to be the gets to Paramatta and they struggle. Is he then unhappy and agitates again Nick during next year to get out and go back or somewhere else because we've seen when he's unhappy, he is unsettled, and that's why this change came about. He was unhappy playing on the wing and he wanted to change the scene. He wanted to go to a club that can win a camp. Well, at the moment, when you look at the ad, the Dragons are closer winning the comm than Paramatter are. Now, I don't think they are. I think Paramatters that's the ladder. It will be in a better position at the start of next year with Zach Lomax and their ranks. But if it doesn't go well, if it starts poorly, if the new coach can't get him on side, is he then unsettled and doesn't become an issue all through next year, which has the potential to become with.
Speaker 1: That well, we have seen him have issues with previous coaches in the past, right.
Speaker 4: I think who ever gets a job, well, I know I've spoken at least one of the coaches, and his first order of business is to sit down with that Lomax and resolve that situation and make sure he wraps around an arm around him and says, mate, I want you here. You're a key plank of me rebuilding this foota club, so that whoever gets the job, we should know soon enough. That should be their first order of business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I suppose to that, though, read man, he's like, where does where does Zach Lomax now still want to play?
Speaker 3: Does he want to play at center?
Speaker 4: Still? It's the other issue they got to resolve with it.
Speaker 1: And and does he now actually still.
Speaker 4: Talking about what position he wants to play? Unbelievable. He went there to play center to power. He's going to power to play center, wasn't he? Yeah? And I know he's played great in the wing, but but that, but yeah, he's also very good.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, your is he well he's not down better at wing?
Speaker 1: He's no, No, he's nowhere near replicated that. He's performance and influence on a game like he has this year on the wing. It's not even he's a.
Speaker 4: Solid some good years.
Speaker 1: He hasn't he's been a solid center. He has not.
Speaker 2: He has not lived solid center years that solid and fifty zers.
Speaker 1: Now he's now he's one of the most influential players in the competition. That's right. He's gone from solid to one of them. He was playing reserve very last year, right, And yeah.
Speaker 4: He was he's knocked on the door previously.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't think you don't think he's ever been in serious contention. I think he's always been ear marked as a potential chosen. Yeah right, But I don't think he was ever seriously going to play for New South Wales over the last couple of years, and his forming this year is irresistible, an example of an example of the day.
Speaker 4: An example of.
Speaker 5: That is when we did the story at the start of the year that Madge had phone Zach and said keep your form up.
Speaker 1: Everyone lost their mind.
Speaker 4: I think I did. Yeh suggested please pick him. Yeah you think doubt Jack.
Speaker 1: I think I think he's just proven himself to be.
Speaker 5: But to your point, you said earlier that he's going to Paramouna to play center. He's going to That's why he signed to play with Paramatta because that was under Brad Arthur.
Speaker 4: Well may end up there on the wing anyway.
Speaker 3: You see a winger now, I.
Speaker 4: Would imagine maybe Guo moves in the centers next year potentially.
Speaker 1: I just don't know how you can't play him.
Speaker 4: And if they keep him the complainment fullback, it works play on the wing and.
Speaker 5: You know what, you know what the next coach needs to do. He needs to be upfront and say, Zach, you've brained it on the wing. You're coming as a winger, so get your head around it. And if you don't like that, then that's when there'll be some agitation.
Speaker 1: And Zach will see you after you play for Australia on the wing October. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like it's have you actually seen a more influential wing?
Speaker 1: That's what I said the other way. I can't remember, no, no, I can't remember a guy that's on the wing that has been so influential when his team's.
Speaker 4: Results was pretty influent.
Speaker 1: We've seen better wingers Wendell Saylor, they're not, but they had such star players around them, right.
Speaker 4: They still change games.
Speaker 1: But I think, like the Dragons, a lot of their wins coming off the back of Saklomax. He is that influential in that team's performance at the moment. I can't remember a winger because you mentioned for Lao and Wendell they had stars across that side, right, so that.
Speaker 5: This bloke can kick and chase his own kicks Israel.
Speaker 1: Israel didn't do that.
Speaker 5: Climates can put a bomb up and and and and run eightys and collect it before. It's not that I don't start me on that, but that is what he's got.
Speaker 1: One of the best kicks, you know. Full credit to him to be able to, you know, brush aside all the outside noise and put the performances that he's had this year. And if I'm any coach, I'm picking him on the he's a form winger. I'm picking him frustrater, pinning for paramatter. I'm not even thinking about playing him at center unless there's an injury.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I've had a couple of couple of conversations with Saints about it too, and they're they're really staying distant from the whole discussion.
Speaker 4: Like they don't you think they really are? Dave, Yeah, I do. I don't think in the background someone's going, mate the good your stayed no.
Speaker 1: Because no, I don't. Okay, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I think to your point.
Speaker 5: That make great different sure, yeah right, yeah, I'm talking about management.
Speaker 4: Can someone be chipping in?
Speaker 5: I think I think from Zach's point of view, he said, look, I'm not it's wait wait for the paramattic coach to be announced. So we're at all lands and then after the State of Origin series, we may hear some more.
Speaker 1: Interesting It's an interesting one. Speaking of interesting ones already, expansion. What's the latest on there?
Speaker 4: You about it? You're the w a man. Well, obviously they've now call for expressions of interest. So they've sent out a criteria to the consortiums that want to bid to join the nrlot about a month to respond to that, and then I'll take about a month after that to make a final call on who comes into the competition, how they expand. But I mean, I think we've written about it several times. Perth or obviously obviously looks like they'll be the first cab off the rank in partnership with the Bears. Looks like that's being resolved, Mick hasn't.
Speaker 1: It's getting closer. They had some good meetings last week.
Speaker 3: Because Perth we're against it, Mick, Well, have they come back around?
Speaker 1: Well, I think they've all been told if you guys, if your bid is going to be considered seriously by the NRL, you need to link with the Bears. And the Bears have tempered their expectations a little bit. They had a key meeting last week in Sydney, which has resolved some of the issues. The Bears put a proposal to the w A bid over the last couple of days. The wa bid considered it on Wednesday, and I dare say that at some point they will formalize a partnership. It's interesting the fact that all the big parties or the head honchos of the big parties have been gagged by the NRL. That's the NBA now, so to prevent them from talking to us.
Speaker 3: It sounds like the paramount of board.
Speaker 1: Well, so that's so it might go a little bit quiet on expansion. So there's another When do they have to get there by the end of this month?
Speaker 4: They have to have four weeks or five weeks.
Speaker 1: Loosely, by the end of this month, they have to have their proposal back to the NRL. The NRL will liberate for.
Speaker 4: Enter rolls, told the clubs the existing clubs they want when it was solved by the end of the season, so by Grand Final days, so i'd imagine September at some point we'll have an announcement on who was in and went, how they plan to expand the roadmap to twenty teams, and who those teams will be. The cover of the competition. Yeah, PNNG South Island, New Zealm.
Speaker 1: Twenty Yeah, well what that twenty one looks like? What that twenty side looks like? Twentieth side looks like? So sorry, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think we'll stop at twenty Wow. I think we'll keep going down the track, down the track. I think we'll get Yeah what I'm just twenty four, twenty two, twenty two eventually, Yeah.
Speaker 1: What year.
Speaker 4: In the game, I'll be long gone.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what won't exist if that's the case. Well, rugby union.
Speaker 4: Well they're going serious, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because we're going to have to pill for talent.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a segway there, beautiful day.
Speaker 4: I'm so well down. I'm saying another ten years beyond that, I think we'll expand again.
Speaker 1: Well speak on rugby union talent. A few clubs a little bit dirty. I guess over what's transpired over the last couple of days with some rugby union talent joining?
Speaker 4: Can you say?
Speaker 1: I really? Can you say?
Speaker 4: What's happened the one need to mark? Yeah, the one need to need to done? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Ready, so we got it. Used to try and say that name because I was going to.
Speaker 5: Say more wang need to I was at the press comments yesterday when he spoke talk us to it readick.
Speaker 4: He was a bit deer in head lightish, but he handed him so quite well actually, given that.
Speaker 3: He was a bit deer in the head lightish, but he handled himself.
Speaker 4: Okay. You know, he looked a bit nervous on you know, because he had like fifteen journals hammering him about his switcher codes to rugby league.
Speaker 1: Usually get that in rugby. Are you saying, yeah, he wouldn't.
Speaker 4: But he's obviously going to the Olympics with the seventh team and then it'll come back and play rugby league for the Roosters. They're saying, you won't play, probably won't play a NURL this year. Mark's not ruling that out. I think he has aspirations potentially playing in the NRL, but he's got a bit of work to do because he hasn't played the game since he was a teenager, so it's not that easy.
Speaker 1: What about the the nerl's decision to allow him to play this year? Any issues?
Speaker 4: Yeah, little one. But there has been a precedent because Jared Haynes. When Jared Haynes came back to rugby league eight years ago after going to the NFL, and then he tried out with the Fijian right rugby sevens team. He started playing rugby league in August, so there was a precedent there, and the Roosters pointed that out as part of their submissions to the NRL to get market clearance to come back in August or July. So he's back in July. So I'd forgotten about that, to be honest with you. And when I heard that, I thought, well, there's a precedent there, and they've put some safeguards in to ensure that you can't just do this will and nearly you kind of players going from league to union, back to lead, back to year to have a multi ye deal, so you can't have played professional rugby league before, and you can't. He can't. Players can't play, he can't play sevens during the life of this deal. So he can't go off at some point where he's under contract of the Roosters and play rugby, for example, go to Japan and an off season come back. You can't do. That's an agree. He's agreed to that. So there's been no precedent set by this decision.
Speaker 1: So that would rule out someone like Sully Levalu, would it from doing that if if it's you haven't played league before, I think he's been away, like you think that he would have been away long enough.
Speaker 4: But he's coming back, I mean surely coming out. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: And thought of that, Mick, because you had in the column last week that NURL clubs we're looking at him. It's I just think I.
Speaker 4: Think that I'm a looking a Sley for next year, though.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if this sparks it any idea what the roosters are playing.
Speaker 3: No one liked too Easy.
Speaker 4: I think there was some reported figures where they're around the four hundred or right, and saying.
Speaker 1: That I love it. I love the fact that, well I'm always intrigued by code hoppers, and saying I actually enjoyed when the NFL had the when the June thirty window got pushed to the first Monday in August and gave clubs a bit more scope to go all in at that back end of the year. When we had those late A lot of people didn't like that. I think I was probably in the minority of people that did enjoy those late season switches of you know, a bit of Pengline like where they were sort of parachuted in for club to try and win a premiership and go all in. I actually didn't mind it. It's more the successful clubs that do it, yeah, and the bottom feeders can sort of clear out some dead in their cap works for them and you know, for seasons going forward as well. I actually didn't mind it. So I don't know about total dispensations for rugby union players, but making allowances to allow him to go play potentially while were playing the Olympics and come back and finish the year off at roof as I don't mind it. I don't think he'll play an l this year.
Speaker 4: He's physically a big kid. Like physically that might be the problem been learning the game.
Speaker 3: It's going to be.
Speaker 5: It's going to be a massive call for a rooster's side on their way to a premiership at this point in time to drop a debutante from rugby union into the back line in August, two.
Speaker 1: Weeks before the semi Yeah, So I don't have a huge issue with it because I don't think he's going to have that influence on that on the rooster.
Speaker 5: Interesting the one Carter Gordon guys the side of the Gold Coast Titans. He's immediately to Wallaby fly half. He's currently in training with the Titans now. Des has declared yesterday that he's unlikely to be part of the NRL team. He'll start getting getting his education as far as NRL is concerned.
Speaker 3: Maybe play Queensland Cup this year.
Speaker 5: So another one to watch. Some wool warbrick outstanding for the Storm.
Speaker 1: Locky Miller had.
Speaker 3: A little go.
Speaker 4: It was pretty good to Locky Miller.
Speaker 1: He had some big games. It worked out well. Worked worked out well for Locky Miller.
Speaker 5: I mean he was he was nowhere with Rugby, comes to Chronolic, it's a contract, got another contract at the Knights and now he's playing in the English Super League.
Speaker 1: When we get Vegas formally announced, obviously we know the four clubs that are going. It was supposed to happen yesterday, the formal announcements Wednesday. Any any indication.
Speaker 4: Of when there's a chance tomorrow.
Speaker 5: They're trying to they're trying to lock in the external parts of the announcement and it's not necessarily about the four teams of which have been reported repeatedly.
Speaker 3: Panthers, Warriors, Sharks, Raiders.
Speaker 1: But it's more about all your teams are going, Dave, you just need the Dragons to go and be spreading yourself.
Speaker 4: To not be going.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you're locked in, mate, lottery there, you're locked in there. That's obviously there's going to be you can have that.
Speaker 3: Elements to how are you going to do this without asking?
Speaker 5: We're going to the listeners. We're going to Paris reading and three weeks, three weeks, two weeks next week.
Speaker 4: Two weeks Monday.
Speaker 2: Oh my lord, So how are you going to do this, Mick? How are you going to back? We can do it, mate, what at that time? We'll do it on our times exactly.
Speaker 1: You guys can do an Olympics podcast.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that's our last episode before we go where it's okay.
Speaker 1: You can whatever. I'll bring a briget in. Maybe we'll get the old crew back of Mobsy and Buzz. Some people have been asking for that. They're not happy with read. Let's take some questions that you my questions before we get to listen to questions, you're surprised. Biggest surprise of twenty twenty four Dogs at fifth, Dragons eighth, Souths at fourteen and it was at sixteen, which which were those surprise you the most in terms of their latter spot Rabbit ears at fourteenth, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say the same. Yeah, South supporting, I'd say dogs tip the dogs can last.
Speaker 1: I'd say doggy.
Speaker 3: That's did have the dogs the dogs last.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't go with the dogs.
Speaker 1: I think they put it up in there.
Speaker 3: In there, you sound like in their dressing room.
Speaker 1: Is that a that's what Flatters saying about me?
Speaker 3: Really army kick out.
Speaker 4: Would say dogs, that's deceptive of their fifth, but everything everything, less games than the Cowboys. Cowboys are actually above them. Take the buyers.
Speaker 1: I don't be saying negative mate, just their fifth at the moment. No, no, they're done, great job and not taking they can still win when.
Speaker 4: Sore tho.
Speaker 1: At this pointing in time they're fifth.
Speaker 4: That's not really okay.
Speaker 5: They're the biggest surprise or right Rabbits the Rabbits diabolical.
Speaker 1: Now they're finding a little bit of where do these sides to finish? Do we have dogs finishing in the top eight yep, yep, drag yep tick for me, Dragons in the top eight to finish the year? Nope, I've got no unlikely South top eight no no no and.
Speaker 4: Paramatta last sun Horne doing a great job at South.
Speaker 3: Do good jobs on your Benny Boy, good job, big game, mate.
Speaker 1: Big listening on his lay driver, listen to and Paramatta sixteen seventeenth? Will they finish above that?
Speaker 4: Above that? I'll move off the bottom Tigers second time?
Speaker 1: What about what did you say about the Tigers and get the spoon? Come on, what about? Well do they or not?
Speaker 4: Benjim? Trust mate?
Speaker 3: Do they get the spoon?
Speaker 1: I think of Titans? Who gets the spoon? The Titans? Yeah, the Titans.
Speaker 5: They put the sixty six to six against the Warriors.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Queensland sides, we'll just focus on the decent ones. Which Queensland team will finish ahead on the ladder. So we've got Cowboys, Dolphins, Broncos. So we have to do our ladder as a couple of a couple of weeks ago. This is the why I had him finish it. I had Cowboys at fifth, Bronco sixth, Dolphins missing the eight and finishing tenth. Where do you guys, if you have to rank them in terms of order at the end of the season, Who's Cowboys?
Speaker 4: Cowboys?
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 5: Cowboys arguably finish in the top four, top four. Wow, And I'll say this, there needs to be serious questions asked if this team doesn't get to a pre lim the Cowboys because their roster, they have six six origin players in that squad. This is your great and this is my this is my Pipagris' theorem. Right, that equates to Grand finals most years. And it's a squad capable of getting to a Grand final. They need to be getting to a prelim or nothing else.
Speaker 1: What about you? Ready?
Speaker 4: What? I think the Cowboys will finish high up the ladder, but I think the Broncos have got further in the finals, if that makes sense. Okay, so Cowboys not finished fifth or six. But I think Brisbane or.
Speaker 1: You said something interesting the other day they read it's the first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you have you had concerns the Broncos would miss the eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's a genuine possibility.
Speaker 1: Is a possibility? Yeah yeah?
Speaker 4: If they make the eight though, I think they will, everyone will be back by then. I think they progress further. I think that they're a threat. For me, They're the only team currently in the bottom four that can win the Camp one of the roosters, the fourth of them, aren't they the orange him in the bottom four it can win the camp from outside the top.
Speaker 1: Four because they can get on a roll in the bottom for them. Renolds comes back and starts firing again.
Speaker 4: And the like.
Speaker 3: That's a big story.
Speaker 5: If the Broncos missed the that is massive. It will have a massive ramification.
Speaker 1: We don't have Dolphins in the eight.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I actually, when I did, Marshall kings a massive blow Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I agree.
Speaker 4: When I did my lad, I had them in a four way tie from seventh to tenth and I think I'm coming tenth. Yeah, okay before the season begin six to eight works from Marshalls laughed at me about that.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get to the end of the season before we judge your top eights. What do you reckon?
Speaker 4: Also, so did I.
Speaker 1: I think I had Newcast on it too.
Speaker 4: You got you got the nights last year.
Speaker 1: I could have mainly Top.
Speaker 3: That's the one I had mainly nowhere, I had mainly Top.
Speaker 4: Newcast is the one that could hold.
Speaker 5: That's a good Sunday afternoon game Raiders nights This Sunday, Kail and back super Keen to see how he goes Tale works is a flyer at full back, good matchup.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't put the line through man, They've got a good draw, come come home.
Speaker 1: Questions from the listeners, Chris, we sort of touch on this at any of the expansion bids going public prior to September, we've covered off on a fair few of them already. There's there's up to tenth potentially.
Speaker 4: If there's five in New Zealand, I think we only know about two. Maybe yeah, there's only two that have become public, So there's three hidden consortiums over in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Let us know. If you're one of the consortium.
Speaker 4: Please reach out for us. Read the at newslemit you.
Speaker 1: And send listener questions to reading that you won't get to rob The situation with Nathan clear at the moment, do you think the coaching staff had been a little selfish with him to win a fourth premiership then letting him play in the third Origin? There were rumors if he was available they're going to play him at four teams. So Nathan Cleary's situation, I don't think it Pendrith have any obligation to New South Wales to fast track his return when Nathan's ready.
Speaker 4: They're going to dump Connor Watson for Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 1: R. It's too wrong with the fact that.
Speaker 5: No, it seems as Robert you suggesting that the Panthers are being selfish to win a fourth premiership by night.
Speaker 3: Is that Origin related?
Speaker 1: Yeah as well, Yeah, I think it's the fact.
Speaker 5: I think I think they have every if I break it down here, they have every right to be selfish to win a fourth premiership.
Speaker 1: Agreed, no issue.
Speaker 5: I don't think it was any any chance whatsoever of playing in the third or is going to.
Speaker 4: Change that team chance? They dominated the Origin too.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't. I couldn't make a change even Yeah, I don't know how you change it. And there was suggesting around klen Is pushed for Kallen to come back. I can't see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one game again, one game in three months and they're looking another area.
Speaker 1: And then Gordy said yesterday around Josh paper So I sent him a text yesterday asking if he'd answer an S O S. He said, no, Well I'm good mate, Like they don't need me.
Speaker 4: You miss a Queensland do miss a front row enforcer? Tino?
Speaker 1: You know I'm saying Pete CAFUSI, that's the one we spoke about and would have done that. No, agree, Yeah, and Tommy Gilbert's good player. You know there's a lot out.
Speaker 4: Of that's really hurt them in the stakes.
Speaker 1: And any updates You worried Walkers.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you're very worried Queen's under staff.
Speaker 5: All I heard was a worried toning voice and the update on Sam Walker's contract negotiations.
Speaker 4: Not yet know what's going on there.
Speaker 1: No mail from my end, no male, but it.
Speaker 3: Has to be it has to be a priority, no deal.
Speaker 1: It has been done a passive money.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, yeh, team work. What do you think Sam's.
Speaker 1: Were every like for a club? A club would offer him one point.
Speaker 3: Too without hesitation identally a million.
Speaker 1: I think it's the market club.
Speaker 3: It just dosn't one point too. And that's.
Speaker 4: And they give Dermes deals one point too.
Speaker 3: And they give it the Jerome's done a lot more in the game.
Speaker 1: I agree with all that I'm saying. I reckon a club would give him one point two for ten years and say do your best.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I wouldn't do him for ten years.
Speaker 1: I'm just I think that's what that's what he could get at a club that needs that's desperate.
Speaker 3: That chip chase game is not going to last ten years. Good dude, I think he's stop for our feat.
Speaker 1: I think I think style.
Speaker 4: Around.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I wouldn't. I wouldn't hesitate telling him a long term down.
Speaker 4: I would give him a million and a half beat if I was I said they needed a half back, that's my I would give.
Speaker 3: That's my ceiling.
Speaker 1: You know where I'm coming from. Made.
Speaker 3: I'm a massive fantasy hum and I love.
Speaker 5: What he's brought to the Roosters. But it's still the trick plays. It can't be a ten year can't hens down. He slows down, the game catches up with him. We're giving ten years.
Speaker 1: I'm hesitating to give a ten year contract, right, But he's the style of player I would give you a ten year contract to the ten year contracts. You don't give two explosive players like Tomalolo right because they can they celebrate very quickly. Right, his style of play, there's no issue. He's bar an injury or whatever the case unforeseen circumstances.
Speaker 3: Who's the other ten year contract that's been.
Speaker 1: Cherry Evans had a long long. Well, he's because he's a style of player that you can do it with. But I think different.
Speaker 4: Completely these are this is all instinctive, right, He's got great football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A big fan of me.
Speaker 4: That doesn't change, that always stays. So you know, I don't I don't think he's always He would seem to me to be the sort of footballer who's always going to take some risks.
Speaker 3: Let me say this, he's got great let me say the game. He was playing reserve grade last year. So he's gone from reserve.
Speaker 5: Grade last year to a ten year, million of a season contracts.
Speaker 1: Part of his development at THEOS.
Speaker 3: I don't mate, he's only gone on from that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't look at him playing reserve grade as a negative. I think it's it's not done enough. And he copped it and the roosters were Trent Robison came out straight away and said he's our long term half back. It's just part of his development process. I have no issue.
Speaker 4: He could be in Origin. He could be an Origin back next year. D Yeah, he's just about next in line. I mean, I know they got dead and Ezra, but he's not to come back months to come back but he's in the mix. I mean it could be, could be that quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate pasy. Are you surprised that Ben Horny doesn't get considered for vacant roles but Dean Young does. I wouldn't compare it to Dean Young.
Speaker 4: Ben job he's doing that question.
Speaker 1: I am surprised Ben Horny doesn't get considered more for roles, but not at the detriment of Dean Young. Dean Young deserves to be considered as well.
Speaker 4: If I'm south right now, Wayne's coming for three years, I'll making sure I lock him. Ben, and Ben, your job of mine goes?
Speaker 1: Are we doing that?
Speaker 4: Are doing it again?
Speaker 1: Has that? I don't know, but I would.
Speaker 4: He deserves to be I mean the job he's done, there no doubt the season.
Speaker 1: I just don't think he's gonna have to wait three years if he wants the job, job somewhere else. I think now that he's put himself in the he's so understated, right, I think now that he's put himself in the shop window, I think he's well placed to get it.
Speaker 4: He's shown as a bit of personality Ben, because he had We've never really seen that, even when he played. Ben was always a very yeah right, he didn't give us much. But he's actually been since he's taken over from Jason, he's actually been We've seen some personality, has been of fun. He's been great.
Speaker 1: I think now he set himself up that he's in the front of the queue when you talk around Hannah and Rolls and Hornby Now and Young and no sort of coaches that when coaches, when jobs become I think.
Speaker 5: The key to Benny in comparison to Dean Young is that when Paramatta met Wayne Bennett and tried to prize him to the Eels, they then and he declined. They then asked him, who would you suggest? And he suggested Dean Young, don't think and knowing the knowing why, knowing that Ben was going to be with him at SOLF.
Speaker 1: And knowing that he wasn't keen on the Paramatta job. If that was yeah, you've got to be willing to pitch up. Yeah, he didn't put his hand up for the Paramatta job, so it's not like he was overlooked or anything like that. But that's an emails. This one was an interesting one I got from received from Barry Okay.
Speaker 4: It could be my dad.
Speaker 1: All right, Peter Milanders has headed off to his holiday home and left you in charge. The seventeen NRL clubs have called an urgent meeting to discuss the options of a UK style Challenge Cup to be brought in the fixture list. A. Right, so you're with me. We're playing a role player then cup KB Cup. Yeah, I guess before one time, like Challenge Cup? What was that preseason Challenge Cup? Was pre season anyway? I remember the Challenge Cup.
Speaker 4: This is an in season This is.
Speaker 1: An in season challenge. Bottom clubs halfway through the season have nothing to play for. This changes. You get two Grand Finals, extra TV money, et cetera. Your answer, and why so? Would you guys be in favor of a midweek Challenge Cup?
Speaker 4: No, okay, there's no way you get this pass the players union. I'm just saying I think the players play. Would you not? If you would care for it? I'm sure it'd be entertaining, but I just won't. It won't happen. Yeah, you can't ask bokes. When's youth about blokes? Back? Midwek back up.
Speaker 1: From You can do what you like, right, would you do it?
Speaker 4: He does what he wants I've never suggest this. Are you asking me? I wouldn't? I would?
Speaker 1: Would you do?
Speaker 4: I'd love more footage, but it's got to be realistic. It's just impossible.
Speaker 1: I don't mind the idea. I don't mind the idea.
Speaker 5: Something's got to be done to help the English game, not the English game here.
Speaker 3: I thought you'd bring some English clubs out.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I'll ring my dad and ask him. Wouldn't you come.
Speaker 3: When you prefer Warrington out? Are you having a How think.
Speaker 4: You do that?
Speaker 1: Mid?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We're complicating barriers, poor Barry.
Speaker 5: Tell you what I prefer country rugby league competition in Sydney.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're going to bring out the KB Cup, he used to have a MK Cup and have a country team Western Division.
Speaker 5: That's what Let's do our city country, city country, but do city first, country first.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that helps promote the country. So reserve great? Yeah, okay, all right. Jonathan here from Dubai. Wow, why is it that the North Sydney Bears need to partner with Perth in order to join the n RL If they already have a member as many members as claimed, surely they could raise funds themselves. Simple that the fact that I thank for listening from Dubai. It's actually a.
Speaker 4: Pom holiday I've been to.
Speaker 1: I'm stopping there on the way to Paris. I've spent a few nights at Abu Dhabi's good mate. Yeah, off the back of you, it's a good way to break a year.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: What was the question I've forgotten the Bears?
Speaker 4: Why do they have to become another TV?
Speaker 1: That's the issue.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, in Sydney, the market's saturated, So I think it's the best way Perth Bears. You awaken a supporter group of several hundred thousand, and the broadcasters love it because the Bears are alive and they've got an audience already set the stone, so it's a win for everyone and Perth has when they come to Sydney to play games. They've got all these supporters coming out of the wood, including James of Bracy, the Channel nine superstar who's a mad nrsity Bears and a big shout out to James.
Speaker 1: Harry wants to know what do you guys think about the Warrior's chance of playing the finals? And is the current spine the one to take them there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's not it's not.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I needed to think about it because I thought.
Speaker 4: So that's what you're saying. No, Seawan Johnson, Yeah, Shawn's Seawan's form has declined rapidly.
Speaker 1: So, but the question is like, are they better without Sean Johnson? Essentially the current spine without Sean Johnson, but the.
Speaker 5: Way they're still down Metcalf as well, like three four weeks left, Yeah, they've been.
Speaker 3: They've been doing a handy job.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 5: I don't think the Roger thing has worked as though as well as as well as what they'd hoped, and the constant changing in their spine. I don't think they'll be able to find their rhythm this season.
Speaker 1: I really don't.
Speaker 3: They've had a lot of the number of changes in that spine, and you know.
Speaker 5: When Sewn Shawn's running second in a Daly m last year that you can't underrate that.
Speaker 3: Influence and he's not there at this point in time.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't put a line through them, though. I think they can play finals foot this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're we're here to win comps, So I don't. I just don't see them winning the camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Andrew says on almost every Rugby League program. When scussing certain players coaches, the commentators often say he's such a great bloke, though generally when they're bagging them. Okay, so that's true, Brad, Arthur, Brandon Smith, guys that have been in the news of late. You love a good bloke. The question is what players coaches are not good blokes. You don't need to name names, but are there any that exists?
Speaker 3: Andrew? This is an outstanding question. Well, don't mate.
Speaker 5: There are so many absolute pork chops in this game. So yeah, it's all I can say.
Speaker 3: No, No, not everyone.
Speaker 5: He's great blogs, but that's every industry, every business, every company.
Speaker 4: I think we do that because we're trying to soften the blow a bit. If we're criticizing people we like, I just like to make it clear that it's not personal. It's because Brandon we've been critical. People have been critical of Brandon Brandon Smith. He is a fantastic, cracking guy. Cracking guy has got nothing to do with him or who he is. It's just because the issues going on in his life and he was dealing with him.
Speaker 1: And he's come out and taking he goes. I know it's not personal. I know I've put myself up for criticism, and I think when you're trying and preface the fact that some people are good like so you've got good relationships with them. However, you need to be critical of them at times and to show that it's not always. Sometimes it can, but it's not a personal attack.
Speaker 4: Brand's a prime example, right. People think a lot of people thought that was personal against Brand, but it was not. It wasn't personal at all because we all like Brad. We all got one with Brad. We all think he's a great Blake. But I felt it was time. No, I definitely felt it was tatently clear.
Speaker 1: Daniel wants to know. Shane Richardson, in a recent interview, said he spoke around Campbelltown Sports Stadium receiving funds the upgrade the ground. Have you heard anything about Campbelltown getting more cash.
Speaker 4: I think they wont cash at all, like Card and Campbelltown obviously.
Speaker 1: But nothing concrete.
Speaker 4: No. I think they were focused on light cart okay, but I think that you know they was when top grade all the facilities and make the grounds more profitable and better for the fans.
Speaker 1: Michael wants to know good Burden and he's going to start me on light cut good Burton, and he's devastating bomb work as well. At origin level. Given the increase quick pressure, he would surely face. So Matt Burton's kicking own the original level. I think it transcends, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, of course it does. Yeah, it's it's it's an unbelievable I can't. I'm trying to think. I watched that game obviously, Dogs verse Sharks last week. Dogs are just on the back foot like they were going nowhere, and sure enough, you bring out the rescue club in golf.
Speaker 1: This guy's got a rescue kick.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter where they are on the field.
Speaker 5: He kicked them back into the contest because the Cronulla were finishing over the top of them and he just kicked them back out of trouble.
Speaker 1: Could it work in origin? Absolutely? All right, Brendan. If a player gets, say, four weeks suspension, do you think there is merit around making the suspension four weeks plus the next game against the team you committed the act against.
Speaker 4: That's five weeks suspension. No, okay, what's what's the sense in that?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you why. Because not every team plays each other twice.
Speaker 4: That's a good point, too, very good point.
Speaker 1: But there's a carry on to the next season. What if they change clubs.
Speaker 5: I understand Brendan wants the player to be penalized against his team, and I understand.
Speaker 1: That it's got hairs all over it that, but unfortunately Read is just crapped all over it. But Brett and we get where you're coming from. All right, dinner last week. Last week I spoke about a dish called so long lamb. That's the Greek electical electically Okay, So my learned friend, who is getting more ethnic by the day the more he hangs out with me, is starting.
Speaker 4: Would I cooked it? Yeplectical?
Speaker 1: You found the cheese.
Speaker 4: I made a couple of mistakes, so I didn't dice the lamb.
Speaker 1: Yes, I put it in the hole with a half.
Speaker 4: Hour to go on the cooking processes, you're supposed to put it in for two hours. I realized I hadn't chopped the lamb up, so I pulled it out the oven, chopped the lamb up, put it back in My system. Was in town with the kids, three kids, the father in law, brother in law stayed in Brisbane, lucky bugger and they loved it. Everyone loved it. My wife took seconds in work the next day.
Speaker 1: It's good. We're going to what's the recipe?
Speaker 4: You should put it on the we should something I put on the podcast.
Speaker 1: If anyone wants an email the recipe.
Speaker 4: So it was.
Speaker 1: It was very good, man, it's very good.
Speaker 4: And I found the cheese.
Speaker 1: The cheese is like, that's a little special.
Speaker 4: What's that cheese called? Oh yeah, what.
Speaker 3: Type of cheese isn't is it more of a gooey cheese?
Speaker 4: It is like a parmesan. It was Harris Farm has it? Yeah? Yeah, So you put it in there and melt it actually in the pip, and then you put I did this wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, actually didn't do it wrong.
Speaker 4: Now I did it right. He's been doing it wrong forever.
Speaker 1: I've been doing it wrong.
Speaker 4: You put then you put shavings across the top of it. I put it back in the oven to give it melted a bit. Mick, great, mixed being grading and you have a man. They said, what have you done with the cheese? I said, a photo of the recipe says shave And you realized he's been doing it wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep stick to my method.
Speaker 4: Gravy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, but dinner tonight I have to come up with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's under training night, right, so it's always tricky night to cook.
Speaker 4: Washed out again last night?
Speaker 5: Actually the good point could be washed out. Be washed out, thanks Cancels. Uh, you know what we're going to go with. We're going to go with a home cooked meat pie with yeah, with beef chunks not you know some people make a meat pie with mince terrible mints.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and bit of gravy grave, but we'll go gravy.
Speaker 1: It was more of a shock that people make it with mince. Understanding what mince.
Speaker 4: Is mince pie.
Speaker 3: We're going to go with the gravy beef.
Speaker 4: Gravy beef.
Speaker 5: Yeah, may guess I haven't gone down the guinness path anyway, So yeah, I think we'll head down that.
Speaker 4: I was fine. That's one of the great things when you go on to Kangaroo to it. You go to those English pubs and they make those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, what beer are we going to be drinking in Paris? Oh? No one cares about your Paris. You'd be drinking wine.
Speaker 3: You'd be drinking Can someone please email me recommend?
Speaker 4: Actually, you know what any good pubs. Any good pubs or restaurants, Yes, in Paris, nearly, preferably near the Champs, which is where we're staying at the If you've got any good restaurants or pubs, please let us know. Thank you, and if you can recommend a beer, and if.
Speaker 1: You any for me to do. All these guys are anything quickly.
Speaker 4: And you know what, because my system, i said, was down to the family. Normally, I have a wagou steak on Saturday night. We'd have every Saturday religiously. Last Sunday we didn't have it. We're out for dinner. So you know, I'm going to go on the way home and pick up myself up a Waggo steak, get the wife and I feel it. My oldest son and I feel it. Young fella has tip out of sausages and strike two hundred and fifty bucks at Willis. I don't get my wagon, Willie.
Speaker 1: Actually, alight, let's do that's very good. We're having lasagne at our house tonight.
Speaker 4: What did you do anything special with it?
Speaker 1: I don't do anything.
Speaker 4: I thought you were the cooked in your house.
Speaker 1: No, we've been through this. We've done this all right. Thank you for joining us. Enjoy a full round of NRL competition, and we'll talk all things Origin next week.