Speaker 1: From the sky New Center. This is Paul Murray Live. You know, Happy Monday, coming to the man Cape. I've got a lot for you tonight. Thoughts with everyone and dealing with fires, floods, fire and all the rest of it, of course, people in the Grampians and Victoria and our focus about North queens Land in a moment. This is a big one tonight. You're gonna love it because one of our favorites just sent to Namba jimper Price on the show tonight. She's got the job without trying to find a pretty obvious waste and where to say. But she's got plenty more to say, and I've got plenty more to say about the people already coming for her, the great Senator, the hope of the site. On this show tonight, No looks now Left is Mac Canavan, James Mora. They'll go on about all of the events of the day that weeken lebs some fun along the way, and not just going to talk about Donald Trump and Tariff's There are some other very big decisions which have got Left is tearing their hair out, which makes me rather happy. But I'll get the more of that a little later tonight. But first yeah, let's go to North Queensland. Strength and love to everyone who is dealing with things, particularly around Townsville. It does go a little higher, it does go lower, it does go further inland, or more to say about that in a moment. As you can see the images coming from the area, it is incredibly difficult. You can see what was and what is right now. You can see the types of things that people are responding to, and they are responding to with the resilience that Australians always have in these scenarios, I think any person who is part of a surging army of volunteers that are taking care of strangers or the neighbors that are taking care of each other. I love seeing the images of people in high pubs that are a little higher in the ground, and even with water lapping at their ankles, they're still serving the beers and cooking up the sausages, trying to make sure that people who are taking care of everyone else is fed and appropriately hydrated. But this is the situation. There are six evacuation centers up and down the areas most affected. Four hundred people are in them right now. Now. The rain well, as we know, the best part of a meter. In fact, one point two of rain has fallen the past twenty four hours in parts of this area, which means that while the rain has while the rain may subside from the intensity of the past couple of days, the rain that's a little uphill, a little further in is going to start heading your way, which means flood waters can continue to rise. So please, even if you're an old timer who's seen it all before, please leave when they tell you to. I get it. You would prefer to be in a scenario where there's an overreaction than you having to wait to the very last minute to be pulled to safety in a deinghi where no one knows what's underneath it, or being pulled off your roof after a long time by a helicopter. Our mates in Charterstowers, I love Charter's Towers. Beautiful country town. You know our ninety minutes are in from Townsville. Shout out to Steve and everyone, particularly at the drive in. You know how much I love that place. Well, drinking water is disrupted as a result of things that are happening here, so people are being told please boil water if you can bottle it, but do not drink the water as it currently is. So just an example where our focus might be, say on the biggest city, there's stuff that's happening in towns and even further out on farms all over the place. Here are some of the people having to deal with it. I make this the lead story tonight because it is the most important thing in the world to these people and those of us in Australia who love.
Speaker 2: Them, jump out made dump it out.
Speaker 1: From frightening and then moments where people are taking care of each other. If there aren't people around, then the capacity for you to be taken care of. That's how serious it is. I get it. You've seen it before. It goes high, it goes low, this year, that year, all the rest of it. Right, I get that these days there are more warnings, more warning sirens screaming on your radio, and it might sometimes feel like overkill. But I'm telling you, I'm telling you, if they tell you to move, please move. If you've got family that won't move, please convince them to move, because we love them and we want them to be around. Okay, I prefer overreaction than an under preparedness here. As for the officials. Here's the latest they're telling us. We have not seen the peak of that flood.
Speaker 3: It is expected in the early hours of tomorrow, so areas of that low lying black zone area are still expected to receive inundation.
Speaker 1: Part of the job of every premiere, but in particular the Queensland Premiere is to respond to natural disasters like this. For David Crucifully it is his first as premier.
Speaker 4: We're urging residents to please listen to the advice and stay in contact with communications. Please don't go back to those homes because the modeling is showing that the water could continue to rise. It's been an amazingly monsoonal event.
Speaker 1: As always, twenty four seven Sky News has our website with the latest information, rolling blogs, all the rest of it, but also we have our weather chain. Here's a little explanation about where we are and where we go in the next twenty four hours.
Speaker 5: Multiple locations receiving a month's worth of rain in one day. Others like Mount Sofia have seen more than a meter of rain in the past week. The Herbert River is now finally falling. The concern moving forward though for a number of these rivers, especially the Ross River which feeds into suburban Townsville. Is that there is significant downpourse forecast at a minimum across both Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Wild stuff. Be safe, Please be safe, Take care of everyone, no matter whether you've been through it for your first time or this is your one hundredth time of doing it, because that's part of life in North Queensland. Again, everyone in the Grampians in Victoria, I'm aware the bushfire situation and all of what I've just said applies to you too, even though the danger is of a completely different element. But strength and love to everyone dealing with it, and thank you to everyone who is helping now. On this program we have followed you. Enter Price, from a passionate Australian who was a local councilor on the Alice Spree Council all the way through to her barn storming into the Senate speaking truth to power about the difficulties in the heart of our country, and her advocacy passion, of course, led the country to rejecting more talk and a commitment to more action about helping the people in Alice Springs. Of course, Peter Dutton has been by her side, championing her all the way into his shadow cabinet, and as you will have heard over the past few days, she has been promoted. She will, of course has always re maintain a complete passion about Indigenous affairs, but her passion and her capacity to prosecute an image is now an issue, I should say, is now being moved into an area where she's now going to start to talk about some of the finances of this country. She'll be on the show a little bit later. But there's a reason I am talking about all of this. At the start. The left is frightened of how effective Jacinta Nampa Jumper Price is at getting to the heart of the matter, exposing the failures of the system and willing to tell uncomfortable truths. Now, remember when she was in Canberra in the early days of being a senator and she brought people who were victims of abuse to Canberra and went from door to door to door to media organizations who weren't interested because it was candidate to the narrative at the time that was all about changing words in the constitution. Yet she's still powered on. Well, she will now do so about the finances of this country. She's been moved to the position now where she is going to be having a look at government efficiency. This is not just your classic opposition wastewatch person, but a person who understands where all of the money is shuffled around, moved about, wasted, hidden. She'll be It'll be her job between now and the election to expose it and hopefully after the election to do something about it.
Speaker 6: I think the work that you sent it will do, which will come up to the Prime Minister and cabinet portfolio in government, will be to find labour's waste.
Speaker 1: But because she is effective, and that is often the greatest indication about the loudest voices that scream back at you. When you are effective, when you are hovering over the target, when you are getting close to the big red button that industries of people want to protect, they go at you, and they go at you very personally. Examples of it that are already up and online are trying to float a ridiculous characterization that just center nampajimper Price is a person who, while looking for efficiency in the federal government, is living the high life via the taxpayer dollar on top of her wage, particularly through things like travel claims. This sort of crap is all over the internet, screeted by people who are running for the Senate as well. Rather rod for a senator who is amongst the top spenders on parliamentary expenses in relation to a current position considering the new role, plenty of other senators spend way less than Price, so she's not really efficient with taxpayers money. Now, this has been tried a few times. The Sidney Morning Herald, the Age they tried this. They tried this, remember at the heart of the Voice campaign, to pretend that somehow there was something inauthentic about a woman who is from has represented, lives and loves Alice Springs. Now to all of the lefty So we're going to try this again, which is sent to Nampa jimp for Price. I want to arm everyone who sees this crap to respond with the facts. Okay, now, let's start at the very simple level for those who will have no interest in the truth, but they need to be educated. Obviously. Alice Springs requires a lot more travel to get to place like Canberra than other parts of our country. It is literally in the heart of our country. If you've been you know how special the country around it is. If you have not. You know how difficult some of the times are in the town, and if you have truly been to the town at night and traveled a little further away from the lights, you know about the men and particularly women and children of which she speaks and represents, truly forgotten people. To give you an idea if you are going to be one of these lazy people that is going to try this crap on with this very effective, very passionate Australian who should be at the absolute front of our political class. Alice Springs is hard to get to. In fact, I did the numbers for you today. If you want to drive from Alice Springs to Darwin, it's fifteen hours. If you want to drive to Melbourne, it's a twenty three every hour forty nine minute. It is a day in the car, no stops, no rests. It's even longer if you want to drive to Canberra, because there's not actually a direct route. You've sort of got to go down South Australia Victoria back up, or you've got to go over the top through Queensland and down. That is why just enterprice. Obviously, when possible, we'll try to use the fastest form of transport like every other MP is entitled to, which of course, is to fly. But let me explain how difficult flying is from Alice Springs. There are no direct flights from Alice Springs to Canberra, and they're expensive, and the first flight is not when the sun comes up. Instead, you actually have to wait for the first flight to come from say a place like Sydney or Brisbane, to get to Darwin, then turn around and go from Darwin to Alice and then that's your first chance to get out of there. So I thought about this. Okay, let's show how difficult it would be for at your centerprice or anyone else to go from Alice Springs to Canberra quickly tomorrow. The first flight leaves at eleven forty in the morning, you don't get to Sydney till four o'clock. Remember the time zones flip around here. You then have to wait for an hour and a half at the airport before at five point thirty you get to fly from Sydney and arrive in Camber at six point thirty. You can't leave by plane until eleven forty in the morning, and you don't get to where you're going till six thirty at night, an entire day in the air, meaning if you've got meetings on a Monday, you're probably flying on a Sunday. All right, May I continue to again hammer home the point to the idiots who are going to try to come after this woman pretending that she is something other than what she is when you got to fly back just as difficult. Imagine the journey of having to go from Camber to Melbourne, then having to wait, then going from Melbourne Adelaide, then flying from Adelaide to Alice Springs. You would leave the tarmac at ten in the morning, you get home at three point fifteen. That's the reality. And by the way, how much does that cost? I did this on webject today fifteen hundred bucks, So there is no sort of you know, thirty dollars Jetstar option, not that any politician or many of the people that will be hanging it on her will be doing that. So yeah, it's expensive to be a politician in remote regional Australia. It's expensive to not live in a capital city. It is expensive to fly from the middle of the country. So next time you see some sort of garbage story pretending that the person in charge of searching for government efficiency is a person who just is spending taxpayers money with abandon Send them this video because it's bs. They know it, and it's up to you to push back as well, and speaking me off. I've been waiting to do this for a couple of days now. The new ad the Labour Party has out. I played it for you last night, so I'm not going to get him the free publicity tonight. You know, it's all the Auger Booker, the music, the black and white picture of Peter Dutton and this ludicrous claim that Australia will be worse off under Peter Dutton speaking financially now. Albo and Charmers have said this at press conferences, but this is how the image is about to be ham at home here they are.
Speaker 3: You'll be worse off under Dunn.
Speaker 1: As for the Liberal Party, you remember this was the ad that they tried to run against Albanesi quite unsuccessfully. Turned out to be true by the way, but unsuccessful after the last election, which basically was hey, and don't go for this guy. It's going to get worse. You'll be worse again. They were right, Peter, it doesn't For his part, responding to all of this garbage. It's the whole problem of the government.
Speaker 6: There's nothing they can look to that people can identify that the government's achieved over the course of the last three years. And so you throw out these red herrings and you throw the martin, you start the personal attacks because you're trying to distract away from the reality of the situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's now time to bring the receipts. It is now time to go through the record. Okay, this is what we were researching over the weekend. This is what we were double checking today. All of this I have sources for so if anyone would like to double check them, I'll gladly send them the links from crazy places like the Bureau of Statistics. The reason that add is offensive is because this government, this bloke, promised to make it better. Remember this was the promise going into the last election. This was their reaction when interest rates went up once under the previous government.
Speaker 7: Australians are getting absolutely smashed by the rising cost of living on Scott Morrison's watch. This is Scott Morrison's triple wheremy of skyrocketing costs of living, rising interest rates and falling real wages. This inflation number should be a wake up call for a government which is out of touch, out of plans and out of time.
Speaker 1: And of course people care about how much they are paying off when it comes to their homes. Reality is, yeah, thirty percent of people have paid off the house. If you've done that, congratulations, it was hard work. It took a whole lifetime to do. Enjoy your garden and the house that you have worked incredibly hard for. For thirty percent of the country they are paying off the house of which they live in. For another thirty percent they are renting, which means those homes are brought by someone else. And presumably there's a lot of mortgages on those. And yes, I know interest rates for savings accounts different conversation, but this is clearly where the extreme bulk of normal middle Australia is. Regardless of what a local MP you've been voting for for generations, the reality is the extreme cost of paying off the home insane. And remember the lipstick on the pig of the climate policies rejected in twenty nineteen was to pretend that made power prices We're going to fall by how much? Again? In twenty twenty five, which is.
Speaker 4: Now deducing power prices by two hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 7: By twenty twenty five, two hundred and seventy five dollars a year.
Speaker 4: Two hundred and seventy five dollars a year to seventy five by twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: We stand by that. But it never happened. Why because apparently it doesn't matter that they made the promise. Oh you felt for it, crazy, you right, that something as clear as that would have been delivered, not in some sort of sugar here at twelve months, you know, twenty five dollars a month credit your actual the cost of electricity because of so many wonderful new renewables, would be dramatically cheaper. Of course it isn't you know that? And there's one hell of a great debate that happened on our air here today that I will be reveling in showing you in a moment or two's time. But let's stay here with this ad. Let's stay focused. Their claim it'll all be worse under Peter Dutton, after promising that it would all be better under them. So you're sitting down because it's time now to pull together three years of holding this government to account. As I have often used the metaphor, the shows like ours and moments like this are ones where we really do sort of count the grains of sand on the beach and we see every little decision that they make. But the reality is the wider population, for very obvious reasons, their view of the beach is sort of from end to end. Well, tonight, right now, I'm going to put all the grains of sand together for you so that you can tell your mates that are just looking at the beach that it ain't the same one that it was three years ago. In fact, it is grossly eroded and we're in a world of trouble. This is the record of Anthony Alberanezi. The Labor Party and all of its minions have made life worse for Australia. These are not fringe issues, These are not side issues. These are not countures twelve interst rate rises under their watch. The average home loan in Australia is for about five hundred thousand dollars. It's about twelve hundred dollars a month that all of these extra little increases have added up to. That's fourteen thousand dollars double that number. If you've got a million dollar mortgage, add another fourteen thousand dollars to that. If it's one point five, another fourteen thousand dollars. If you're on two million dollar mortgage, and that is tens of thousands of dollars that you did not have to find to pay off your home, but you have had to under this bloke. Thirty percent of home across this country are in mortgage stress, where the percentage of money that you are spending on paying off your house is now into a danger zone, meaning that it is eating into your capacity to pay for the rest of your life. Again, I've got the receipts, got the data, happy to send anyone the link who wants to doubt under this government the promise to do better that claims the other one will be worse. There has been twenty one months, seven quarters in a row of a per capita recession where the citizenry is going backwards where they don't have the money to catch up to the type of bills that like paying off a house, higher insurance, all the rest of it are mounting, which means that we are in the worst living standards for Australian since nineteen fifty nine. He reckons it's going to get worse under the other bloke. It's horrible under this bloke. Twenty seven and a half thousand businesses have gone bust since the last federal election. My far right wing think tank source on that. The Australian Security Is and Investment Commission ASSEK twenty seven and a half thousand businesses going bust since they were elected. Food Bank three point seven million people every week in Australia go hungry because they will run out of food or they don't know where their meals will come from at the back half of the week because the bread runs out and they've got no money to buy more. According to the current census, and the numbers have exploded since. According to the homeless advocacy groups, we have the highest number of homeless people in Australia ever, with three million more people on the verge of becoming homeless because of how difficult it is to pay for house, how difficult it is to rent a house. And I'll get to that in a second. Fifty eight percent of low income households are in rental stress. This is where the amount of money that you have to spend on rent is way higher than a third of your income, way higher, meaning that the two thirds that's supposed to pay for the rest of your life and the kid's life, let alone, the fridge goes bust, the cars bug it up, or for whatever reason you need to get your hands on, you know, two hundred and fifty dollars, you're in a world of financial pain. Many people are frightened about whether they're going to have a roof over their head for themselves or their kids worse under the next guy. This is the standard under this bloke. And even then, if you're looking for a rental house, how's this? Before we show the stat I want you to think of all of the houses that in Australia. I think there's about ten million homes dwellings. Obviously a little bit higher than that, right because not everyone lives by themselves family groups. What percentage of all of the houses in all of Australia I'm saying, all of the houses in all of Australia, all the granny flats, all the units, how many do you reckon are available for rent right now? Answer? Zero point seven percent, not even one percent of all of the houses in all of Australia. All of the places that are that if it was available to rent, are available to rent right now, looking for tenants right now, have a full lease sign on the properties right now. Yet this government has brought in one point three million people to add to those rental cues, to add to the people that are bidding on the auction, to add to the queue at the local hospital. The view from the beach ain't great anymore. And for three years, every night, hammer, hammer, hammer, because they promised it would be better. This is not your traditional team Red, team blue. This is about people who lied to millions of people to gain power. They got that power and they made things worse. For the extreme majority of Australians. It is worse. And if they want to argue why, it's all cyclical and everywhere in the world was going through this, ah, that was the case three years ago. You made it personal, then you own it now. I could go on about our schools, about our health, about the TRIPLEO systems, I could talk about many other grains of sand on the beach. And we've got many days between now and whenever this election happens. But I want people to understand what you know and what I know. It's worse under this bloke. Now we are living the nightmare now. Oh but it's slightly better than it was three weeks ago. No, it's demonstrably worse than when you got the job. There is a very small sliver of people, and good luck to you if you're better off than you're worth three years ago. But for everyone else, much worse off. Let alone a government and how it funds itself. When they sit there and clap themselves for their stewardship of the economy, tens tens of billions of dollars aren't even in that book. So when they say they've got a surplus, the reality is it's a deficit because all of the money that we needs to spend is way more than any of the money that is currently coming in. And what do they do with that money that's coming in. They hired a football stadium of public servants. Oh, these are teachers and nurses, and no it's not. The huge bulk of it is in the back room, the pen pushes, the eclip board holders, the computer, then people. They've also increased taxes on Australians for the choices they make in their life that are about the simple pleasures of life, because you're frightened about the roof over your head, how hard you've had to work to just hold on. So fingers crossed. In five years from now, if it's really bad, we can sell the joint and it's a little higher than.
Speaker 8: What it was.
Speaker 1: The taxes on fuel, the taxes on cigarettes, the taxes on booze, all higher than they've ever been because this government, this prime minister, that treasurer, that finance minister, decided to turn it up. And perhap, perhaps one of the worst elements of all of this is that the single greatest source of revenue to the Australian government is not the GST, is not company tax. It's you workers on pay as you go, paycheck to paycheck, the people who are barely holding on at the first of the month, lett alone the fifteenth if they get paid monthly. That's why your living standards are where we are. So they can cut however many ads they want, they can push it out through all the media that will help throw glitter at the problem and pretend that everything's amazing, and Jesus, won't it be worse after we are living the nightmare? Spare me the scare because we are living the nightmare. You have a chance to change it, hopefully sooner rather than later. Please share this video when it's online at skynews dot com do Au because we count the grains of sand. But tonight the view from the beach wasn't particularly better for the people that were speaking on the behalf of the Prime Minister trying to again pretend that everything is awesome. We've turned the corner. Isn't everything great? Parliament back this week. Tania Plippisik, of course, is the person who, if the Labour Party members actually had a choice, would be the leader of the Labor Party. But a faction all this, that and the other, and Albo has waited his time, which means she's constantly pushed to the side. Well, she's so proud of this government and its achievement in a seat where she wins in an absolute canter. She's not doing the red color thing anymore. Instead she's holding onto the purple so you know, vote for me. I'm such a proud Labor person. I aim Labor when I'm dropping the letterbox thing off in the mail. Well, she was asked on breakfast Television today and of course breakfast television, breakfast radio. This is where huge swathes of compulsory voting Australians get a little taste of this and a little taste of that, and they got a taste today of a government who doesn't know what they're talking about. Or when it comes to that caravan and in northwestern Sydney, the mining explosives. You know the story and what the Prime minister knew and when he knew it. How's this for some questions? And good on the host for well saying, I call bs.
Speaker 8: But this is the difference between the police working with the government and the police issuing a press release about what they're telling the government. We're not talking about a prime minister.
Speaker 9: Should have been told about something so big.
Speaker 8: The Prime minister works hand in hand with our Australian federal police. He didn't go work hand in hand with I'm not going to talk about it, Matt. That is the point. We don't give a running commentary about ongoing police investigations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the reality that we all know is the situation here. And then another one of the surrogates that were sent out today and geez, I've got a special spot in my heart for Tim Ayre's labor senator up there with Don Farrell doing his bit in the trade portfolio, sucking up to China. So of course we can hold onto the seats that matter. This is the bloke who had this response to a mere discussion in the Senate to have a proper inquiry into COVID so we could say, make sure that people don't die by themselves next time.
Speaker 10: There is a wellspring, a sort of fitted wellspring of COVID conspiracy theorists, and some of them, some of them, some of them inhabit the benches over there. And there is, of course, and always has been a group of people in the community who you know, mobilized by concerns about kem trails or lizard people or or fluoride conspiracies, which which some of these characters are also attracted to.
Speaker 9: Also also into the fluoride conspiracy theory stuff they're on, They're on the Pizzagate material, they're on, they're on all of these things. On the drip for every Internet conspiracy theory that there is, the JFK stuff, the Roswell stuff, it's all.
Speaker 1: You're all into all that stuff. I get it.
Speaker 11: The radicalization pathway that is engaged here by these propositions.
Speaker 1: Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up. Shot enough today on with Laura Jays and Laura I love when she's got this little look in her eye. Well you know, she's not going to put up with it anymore. She's going to put up with the garbage where he's on there today and trying to make it about Peter Dutton and nuclear power and when it all be worse under him. She knows what the reality is and she just hit this bloke right between the eyes, have a look at him trying to change the subject. And good on her for saying and no paler. Back to the talking point, back to the question, back to what I actually asked you. Well done, l Joe.
Speaker 11: You don't make electricity prices and energy prices lower for austral And industry and households by making them higher.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what Peter Batons need. That's not exactly a revelation I asked you about.
Speaker 12: Your plan is a nuclear plan? Can we stick on that? What is the total?
Speaker 9: Let me let me just the renewable plan.
Speaker 11: Let me let me let me just make this point, Laura, Peter Dunton's nuclear react to strategy in terms of about your medium right which.
Speaker 12: Where That's a pretty simple question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's.
Speaker 11: It's a it's a question that that is that the Energy Minister would be very happy to engage with you about.
Speaker 1: Sensational whole thing up right now it's gone news dot com. That are you and up on my Facebook page as well. Just go searching for Paul Murray life right quick break back with more looking forward to Matavan, James Morrow. You sit to Nampa, jimper Price or Killer no Filler, wherever you are in the country, You've got the best seat in the house. Matt Canavan, James Morrow. You know they are, You know where they're from, You know why we have them on the show, and you know they no looks, no leftiest. Lad's lovely to see you so. Joe Halen, Transport Minister in New South Wales. The story is outrageous seven hundred and fifty dollars that she's not going to pay back to the taxpayer because the chauffeur was driving her up and down for some drinks on Australia Day. We now learn that the chauffeur was also running kids to school sport. Yet mins won't Sacker. Why does she still have a job?
Speaker 13: James, Well, you know this is a great question, Paul, and I think that this is really starting to rebound on the premiership of Chris Bins. And now Chris Bins has come through since coming to power in twenty twenty three. The nice guy, the happy guy above it all. You know, all that is showing really poor judgment on his part because you know what people out there a watch from New South Wales, I might not know this. Joe Halen was the first of his ministers to come into real strife over a couple of different appointments of a government staffer who she was using for political work, the Transport Department secretary.
Speaker 1: All of this she was protected.
Speaker 13: And then we've had a train strike in New South Wales protected, a late metro protected and now this she's not going. And the thing is she is Labor Royalty, Paul, and this is part of the problem here. You know, she's very well connected. She worked for Alberdezi when he was Deputy Prime Minister of the old Rudd Gillard a machine, a lot of you know, all these sort of ties in and so you know she's and so it's time to dis launch as hard. But you know's he's the premier. He needs to show some leadership here and also admit really that if he had sort of this problem two years ago, this would not be blown up in his feace now because now we don't know what's next.
Speaker 1: He can't trust her. Well as a man who's working for the paper that's doing such great work on all of this, I'm sure that you know there's plenty more that will be around the corner because they're all wait, because there always is. They just always is once this starts, and they do it to themselves, not the media organizations that are revealing what they do to themselves. Matt, Queensland pulls the government on the green hydrogen garbage. You must be happy.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think this was only a matter of time, Paul. Already private investors had backed out of this program and the only thing that was stopping it dying was the former Queensland government had promised so much on hydrogen, put so much on hydrogen jobs that they weren't able without shocking lapse of judgment on their behalf walk away from it. I mean, the problem is that hydrogen has been more over sold than the Trump mean coin. It is not ready for well, I hope no one invests events down. It's way down today.
Speaker 1: Someone sent me.
Speaker 3: A big We could have made some money for timing. Timing is everything name comes, but not with hydrogen. The time is just not right for it. It's not mature technology. I've got no problem. We should be doing with hydrogen right now is investing in research. Put some money into the universities, some really smart people. Maybe they can crack it and we'll have something in the decades to come. But instead, what's happened here is because the Labor Party had a political problem on coal jobs in central Queensland and the Hunter Valley. They couldn't support the coal industry. They couldn't support the men and women, hard working men and women those industries. They've gone out there and said, oh look, we're going to shut down your coal industry, but we'll have all these hydrogen jobs. And they made all these promises that these hydrogen jobs would be here within years.
Speaker 1: Well none of.
Speaker 3: Those promises are coming true because it's just not able to be produced commercially at the moment. And I think the lesson here is the politicians have got to stop telling lies to people. These are lies.
Speaker 1: They knew they were lies.
Speaker 3: They're happy to lie about it because they want to protect their job, and now they put thousands of other Australian jobs at risk through their lying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, James, it feels like again sort of part of the theme that I talked about at the start, about you know, counting the grains of sand versus the view of the beach, right, all of that business torture metaphor. But I didn't best. I think people are at that moment where enough right, enough of just you know, you making the constant announcements about oh, well, because we're pushing in this direction, we'll just keep going. If the reality is it's more expensive, it's unliable, and and and this, and unproven that they were just tipping it in because they believed in it, not because they knew what the outcome would be.
Speaker 13: Well, not only that they believed in it, I mean that they didn't understand it, right, Okay, because a green hydrogen list remember it's not an energy source, it's a storage mechan so it's very different to power generations, so you don't remember that. But how that nobody believes any of the stuff, you know, do you think anybody believes this whole sort of thing where they're tipped two billion dollars in to make green steel, that anybody believes that this is anything more than a government subsidy to an industry to keep their support and keep jobs here. No one believes it's about the environment. It's the same thing with all this stuff. Nobody believes, really truly that renewables work to bring your power bills down if you're on the grid.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't work that way.
Speaker 13: Nobody believes us. You know, we saw in the Australia all these stories about different businesses and power bills up in the food services, real all these sorts of things, you know, and all of that filters through. Everybody knows it, and industry knows that. People know it, and I think the government knows it, but they can't admit it. And that's why there's so much trouble right now.
Speaker 1: So Matt to what James was just talking about. Great thing in the Australian today about food producers be got surprise, surprise to make anything. It costs an absolute shedlight of money when it comes to power. But can I also just extend this too. I want people to think about saying their average suburban food court. Right, if you are able to strike up a relationship and have a conversation with the person who owns the thing how much their power costs your eyes? Will you will go I don't understand. How are there that many honey chickens to sell to pay these freaking power bills?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: But do you think that it is behoven on industry, on small business In the same way that the Left is always very good at being able to show their advocacy by putting a sticker on something, why doesn't business come out more aggressively and say did you know it costs X thousand dollars to have this chicken shop open today? Well?
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple of reasons for that, Paul. But before I get to that, I do want to say thank you to those businesses that have put their head above the parapet this morning in the Australian and beld the cat on this. It does take a little bit of courage to do that, and good on for them, and courage is contagious, So hopefully others will come forward now and tell these stories. There is no doubt that you'll pay more for groceries and for your food because we've lost control of our energy system. It is very energy intensive the production of food from the farm right through to the food court. There's a lot of energy involved, and the higher the energy prices, the high you're going to pay for food. I think the reason a lot of businesses, particularly large businesses, won't come out and say these things, is because the government has a big stick behind their back that they'll whack anybody but does so. They have a thing called the safeguard mechanism, which is just another word for a carbon tax and a well in word for a carbon tax. Correct, and Minister Chris Bowen can set that carbon tax at the stroke of a pen. He can make you pay double, triple, whatever he likes to do. And so, if you're a business that's potentially could be whacked by this, what are you going to do? You're probably not going to raise your voice and bring attention to yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, may I suggest a potential campaign for your good self and other people to actually start to sort of break this stuff apart and put that in the form, because we need to get the information out there. Again, information is what he's going to determine, not just about feelings here about an election and a well informed people the makeup of this stuff, knowing the cost, knowing the clips of the ticket, they'll be just as paid off as anyone who watches this show, because we pay attention to that stuff, all right, Trump and tariffs. So it'll be fascinating to see what happens in the next twenty four hours as sort of America A dawns to all of this, as stock markets, all the rest of it. Now, two things that we know Trump has wanted, which is lower prices for US consumers. He's saying maybe not right off the bat, and he loves the high stock market.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 1: If the first couple of weeks he gets the opposite, does he walk away from it?
Speaker 13: No, I don't think so. I think he sticks with it because I think that his mindset. He's a nineteenth century president, right, he is in the mold of nineteenth century men. William McKinley. Owder, it's anybody out there who's a history buff girl, read about your home William McKinley and his work in protection in tariffs to build the American economy back on track after the eighteen ninety three panic. It's a fastating story. He thinks that way. One of the first things that he did was re rename Mount McKinley, which had been changed to Denali, correct back to Mount. Here's a key, there's a telling that. So, and we're already seeing in things like Panama saying, oh, hang on, we're gonna chin out of the canal, and other countries saying, well, let's see what we can do here. We're gonna work together. He's going to get his way on this. So just I think everybody needs to panic in all the headlines. But well, Trump's gonna blow up the world economy with this. How many years we're hearing this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, we'll see you down the road, see what happens. Yeah, yeah, Look, I just hope we're talking about that sort of old school president. Maybe you know, the next summit, if there is one ever in the future. Putin Trump horseback right, putin no shirt Trump, keep it on, keep it on, keep let's see what that wants. All right, Thank you, senator. Enjoy your time in Camber. I know how much you love it. James. You'll be covering it all of course in the Telegraph and seeing us here on Sky News quick Break back with more, she said, an ampergener price. Next, pushing back on the garbage, but talking about just how much waste there is in the federal government. What can be cut? What's she going to go after? We'll talk to the great lady next. Thanks for watching. I know you don't care about the Grammys, and if you've probably heard something about them, you've gone that Sheila's nude. Oh, but she's an Australian, like, are we proud? I don't know, right, And you know most of the artists and the guy who had the castle on his head whatever. Beyonce. Beyonce beats Chris Stapleton for Best Country Album. That's a travesty. Beyonce awesome. The Texas song was great. Chris Stapleton amazing. I've been swimming in his music over summer, and yeah, if you haven't checked out his gear please he is absolutely magnificent and I could talk to you for days about it. Travesty today. But in the tradition of the award show, I have in my hot little hand, well, we've sort of ruined the surprise. I was going to do a whole thing. Babman's Bay the first place we are going to for our town this year, Badman's Bay. I was going to announce it, but I had that all in my heead and I should have told the control room my apologies, team and viewers. Town. It's gone to news dot com that are you Bateman's Bay, Sunday the twenty thirty February. Now, our plan with outtown this year is to try to find the biggest rooms we possibly can to fill them with the most people we possibly can. Okay, so don't wait till the last minute. Don't hit me up when I'm walking up and down the street. Oh sorry, Free tickets, first in, first dress, best dressed. Right now, Outound, it's going to use dot com that are you looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks time. Bateman's Bay on the twenty third joining us right now. The hope of the side just into namper Gimp for price of course, a passionate Australian and I want to say congratulations on a promotion. She gets further and further towards the harder government, the harder power, and that's exactly where a good woman like her should be. Congratulations mate, Ah, thank.
Speaker 12: You so much, Paul. And I feel like it's been forever, like, howp.
Speaker 1: Going wait too long?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 1: Look you look amazing, you look great, I look yeah, still myself right, but let's talk here, Okay. So I dealt with in some detail at the start of the show already this crap that floats around on the internet. Oh, just enter price gear. She loves a good travel please please you live in the middle of the country. I literally looked. It costs fifteen hundred dollars and take two days for you to be able to basically fly from Alice to Canberra. This garbage, it always comes at you, But doesn't it also tell you that you're right over the target if the right people are pissed, you're right on the target, baby.
Speaker 12: Absolutely right over the target.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you now they've I mean, they've got it wrong anyway, because it's not it wasn't my travel they were looking at. It was my whole office expenses and travel, of which is half been half the cost of the former Indigenous Affairs Minister Linda Bernie. So maybe they want to double check my expenses against some of some of the other senators and Lower House members as well. It's certainly less than the current Indigenous Affairs ministers.
Speaker 12: But haters are going to hate.
Speaker 2: Of course, they're going to come out and then they're going to attack because that's what they enjoy doing most.
Speaker 12: But they should get their right before they go ahead and do so.
Speaker 1: So let's get to the focus of what you're trying to do right now. You've spoken about some of the decisions made in the era of Thatcher. We know what's playing out in the United States right now. Give me an idea about the process. All right, like you very small team, that's the way opposition works. What is what you're going to consider success in this portfolio between now and the election? To look.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I guess I take it from having you've been working within the indigenous portfolio so far and recognizing that there is so much waste that is not actually hitting the ground nor improving the lives, particularly of our most marginalized, and so looking taking a fine tooth comb and looking at where that waste exists, where the duplication exists, where you know you can use funds to invest into practical measures that are going to produce outcomes.
Speaker 12: Is you know how I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Work in this particular portfolio. But right across the board, with all my shadow cabinet colleagues, but also.
Speaker 1: That great idea that it's like, you know, you've seen an example of decision making and waste and that can be replicated across multiple portfolios. You know how they push back, which is any suggestion of any you know, they promise they give you a dollar and say I'll give you a ten in five years time you get into government say yeah, we'll pay you the dollar, but we're not going to give you the other nine cut there's a cutters of the promises of never just enterprise, all the music, all the.
Speaker 8: Rest of it.
Speaker 1: So how do you fight this fight because you know that's how they're going to come at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look absolutely, I mean, you know, Australia has have been confronted with the cost of living.
Speaker 12: Crisis. The government has the spending outrageous to.
Speaker 2: The point where it's made everybody's lives miserable. And part of what we want to do is get Australia back on track ultimately. I mean, you know, doing ridiculous things like the corporate welfare spend where they put thirteen point seven billion dollars toward paying minors to do what they're going to do anyway. For example, Twiggy Forest's you know, dream of creating green hydrogen, which is now abandoned.
Speaker 12: I mean that's not a little amount of money.
Speaker 2: Thirteen point seven billion dollars or the one billion dollars for the quantum computer, which our own scientists, chief scientists here in Australia has said could be done at the same speed here in Australia within the private sector.
Speaker 12: So you know, where there's ways of being able.
Speaker 2: To do things better and to support our own economy here in Australia.
Speaker 12: They're the sorts of things that we'll be looking.
Speaker 2: At going forward and cutting ridiculous things like you know, forty million dollars for the Treasurer's spin unit. We certainly won't be holding an expensive four hundred and fifty million dollar referendum that you know, this government, you know, the Prime Minister knew who was going to lose anyway, but still went ahead and divided our narration at the same time while doing it. And you know, a lot of my colleagues are already indicated to me areas at which they'd like to see money better invested and less waste.
Speaker 1: I love you, You're a rock star. I could talk all night. We will give you greater time and maybe even do a whole hour with waste if at any time you'd like to put it out. We love you mate, all the best strength you like her on Facebook and back her any way you can do. You send it, We love you done and hope you've had a good summer with the family. All right, thank you mate. All right, that is our show for tonight. Thank you very much for watching. You can always send me an email.
Speaker 6: Paul.
Speaker 1: It's goynews dot com dot au. Remember come here to arm yourself up with all of the information. Nine o'clock each and every night Australan some daylight time. Then you can pass it on and you can win all the arguments. What a guarantee. See you tomorrow.