Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see aside of life the average persons never exposed to I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Today I spoke to Nick Cawvios. Nick is one of the country's most respected law enforcement officers who's a retired New South Wales Police Deputy commissioner who's had an incredible international career, having worked in homicide, gangs, counter terrorism, negotiators and undercover. He's also worked for the UN, which saw him investigating the assassination of a former Lebanese prime minister, investigating the use of chemical weapons in Syria, rebuilding the Iraq Police Force, and most recently chaired the Royal Commission into Defense and Veteran Suicide. Today we found out who Nick is as a person, talking about the highs and lowers of his career and what makes him tick. You can also read more about Nick and an exclusive extract from his book Behind the Badge in the Saturday and Sunday Telegraph this weekend. I always enjoy talking to Nick. He's been a good mate. This is our conversation. Last time I had you on the podcast, everyone kept talking about how good your voice is. So stuff it up a little bit with you taking him a job. Anyway, Nick, you speak Arabic, You're born in Egypt, and you've got a certain look and swagger about you. See why you're used in undercover work. You've made reference to some undercover stuff in your book. Tell us about your career and undercover.
Speaker 2: I think I really got my start initially, at least simply because of my ethnic background and language abilities.
Speaker 1: And you did have that big, big mustache too.
Speaker 2: I did it was it was a beautiful thing. But I understand my stuches are coming back to. By the way, just say you so prepare yourself. But now I just I felt that it was something that was certainly exciting for a young detective. But more than that, I think you could actually do a lot of good, you know, getting drugs off the street or weapons off the street and catching really bad people that you might struggle to catch any other way. So I was happy, to very happy to be to be to be involved in it. And as I got more and more into it, I think I got better at it obviously, as you do, and the sort of targets I was going for you rows quite a few levels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you think it was important to get that expert pearance at the lower level of crime.
Speaker 2: Fortunately I started with a fairly big one, but after.
Speaker 1: That threw you in the deepen.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, you have to understand in the eighties there wasn't that much of a structure in terms of training, accreditation, and the deployment practices were a bit at hoc. But as we went along, and I say in the book that one of my aims, I had some bad experiences with people taking contracts on me and so on, and I didn't feel I had a lot of support from workmates. I did, but not from the organization, and I wanted to contribute towards fixing that, and I did that. I've got a scholarship and whatever seas how to look at how others do things and brought back a bunch of ideas and that was my sort of foot in the door to recommend some fairly significant changes in terms of welfare reassimilation and so on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, without giving away the methodology of the way that the people go undercover. I remember those days and it was pretty rough and ready wasn't Oh that's good, you've infiltrated the game, but we hadn't come up with an extraction plan.
Speaker 2: Nah. Yeah, I've been I hope I've been careful. I don't think there was any need for me to go into methodology or give away any trade secrets. But people know that this happens, and I think in some ways I hope it said as a turrent for those doing bad things, knowing that they can get caught if they're doing bad shit.
Speaker 1: We recently had an ATO officer from the United States that did a lot of undercover work. And it's a fascinating, fascinating world, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, the American environment is quite different. It's such a huge country, as we all know. But my sense is that nearly every federal agency in the US runs its own undercover program and its own tactical teams, and everyone carries weapons. It's a different environment. I'm not sure if how Australian Tax Office would want to carry weapons and go under cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure how it worked that way. So You've had a long, a long career, and I know when we were together in the cops, you always said to me that, yeah, you think this is the focus of the world in the cops, because it's how you police. I policed, and we're very much looking in with into the organization. You've been out of New South Wales polace you're still involved in law enforcement and different aspects. You've been out of the New South Wales Police for a long time. Does it give you a different perspective on the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. And I think one of the realizations that you come to when you leave the police, as I'm sure you did, is that there is a bigger world out there. I was fortunate and that while I was still a police officer, I had two breaks. One when I went to Iraq, for a year, and then the second one when I went to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon to investigate the murders in Lebanon. So I had had a bit of a taste of the outside world, if you like, and I think I was probably reasonably comfortable making the transition after I left the police, as some of our sort of mutual friends would probably struggle a bit. They hadn't, and especially the guys that joined as cadets, who had been there since I was sixteen, hadn't really tasted the outside world. I think it's good to have life experience before you join, and I think it's certainly it's good to realize that there's a bigger world out there. It's not the end of the world.
Speaker 1: Well, a wise man and a good friend I won't name names, I'm looking at you that did pull me aside when I got into trouble with the cops and said, look, Dube's there is a big world out there. Don't panic. You'll find purpose and you'll find direction. And it was good advice at the time because I was a little bit What am I going to do now? But let's talk about your career. It's been a fascinating career and I remember when you were in the New South Wales place you'd often disappear. We'd say, where's Nick and he's over working in the Middle East, or he's doing that or doing this.
Speaker 2: For it only happened twice, actually, I think the other times I was probably dragged into secret hearings Police Integrity Commission.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that a little bit later. But you had some amazing, amazing work that you did whilst you're still in the New South Wales Police. Tell us a little bit. And I know we've had you on the podcast before, but that we only scraped the surface. Now you did get I think three sessions. There was two people that pipped you. Pam Young she got four. We'll talk about that. I know that made you a bit crank at Pam understandably, and the other one was Graham Henry, but we probably won't say too much about that. But just tell us a little bit when you were in the New South Wales Police, some of the things that you were doing outside of the New South Wales Police.
Speaker 2: Yep. Sure, and again I mean this is in the book, but I did have to be a little bit careful. You can't go into too much detail about some of the issues. But in two thousand and four I was requested by the federal government. There's a request through colleagues on you and US law enforcement to join them in Iraq as part of the Coalition Authority College and Provisional Authority rebuilding the Iraqi National Police and other law enforcement agencies there. I am fluent in Arabic and I'm reasonably comfortable in the Middle East, have been in a few conflex zams I lived through the Sixth Day War and a few other things, so I was happy to do it. I took a leave of absence and I was gone for about nine nine ten months from New Southwest Police, seconded to the Federal government and deployed under the auspicess of IS. I think we did some good things rebuilding the Iraqi Police. I'm not going to tell you it was a total success, but certainly there were a lot of good people there trying very hard. And then in two thousand and nine, again I was selected by the United Nations to head up the investigations into the assassination of the former Prime Minister Hariri and a number of other murders that were related. So again I took a leave of absence. By those stage, I was deputy commissioner, but I was fortunate the government and the organization said they were happy for me to go. I was gone for about fifteen months. I think all up and that went well. I thought we indiced at five people. Ultimately two died and three were convicted in absentia in their absence. But I think, as I've often said, it's still worth doing even if you haven't physically arrested those people, because the assassination has actually stopped after twenty odd in four years. There have been a couple in more recent times, but certainly the trend has completely changed. Accountability and ending that cult of impunity. I thought was quite historic, and I was very happy to be a part of that.
Speaker 1: And did the skill set that you took from your policing career, did that lend itself well into those environments.
Speaker 2: It's basically murder investigations. I know there was a lot of politics in the motive and so on. But one of the things I hope I did when I got there is I asked the team in fact refocused the investigation to some extent to focus on the basic building blocks of a murder investigation, the crime scene, the forensic and ballistic evin and witnesses statements, canvassing, forensic evidence generally and so on, rather than racing towards a motive and a political angle. You had to do that later on, but it wasn't going to solve anything for us. It wasn't going to be what seves the murder. We had to prove it in a proper court with procedural fairness, and we did that.
Speaker 1: That's a voice or reason that's often needed in a homicide investigation, isn't it. And we were trained in the same lineage Hofside. It's all all the white noise on the outside, and you can get lost in that coming up with theories, but that comes down to gathering the evidence and just focusing and doing the basics.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, exactly. You know, you're absolutely right. It's like a building block. If you don't get the basics right, nothing else will work later on. But as you know, Gary, there's a lot of would be experts out there that haven't really done a lot of this stuff who talk about it because they feel that they know the answers, and more often than not, they don't.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit more complex, isn't it? For sure you've actually seen it, But I think it's interesting and I fully understand what you're saying that you go over there and just wind it back a little bit. Let's just focus on the important things and you build it that. That's the why homicides are generally solved, just building on the little pieces, putting it all together. Okay, the book behind the Badge, congratulations.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I've read it cover the cover and I've got to say I like it. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Matt.
Speaker 1: And I know we had discussions before you were writing it and looking at it. How did you find it personally? Writing it torturous?
Speaker 2: Tell me that. I mean, I need to say you actually one of the people who inspired me. He said to me, you can do this, you should do this. It's been probably three years, I think with mind writer Roger Joyce, who did you know. He's a great guy, and I don't know. We used to do about two to two and a half hourly sessions. We must have done thirty over the three year period. And I was chairing the Royal Commission at the time, so I could only have to do it sort of at nights and weekends and what have you. And Roger was great with fitting in with me with all of that. The bottom line is, I'd find it now quite daunting that the book is out and you know everyone's going to read everything, and I'm worried. You know, I hope I've got everything right. I hope I didn't say anything that would offend people unnecessarily. But it's been quite an experience. I don't know if I told you go, but apart from yourself, and have a couple of other friends who have written books who have said to me, you know, you should do this for your family and your kids and your legacy if you like, rather than for yourself. There's a fellow called Bob bear Ba who's a former Cyia agent who did write his life story and dedicated his first book. He's written many now, but he dedicated his first book to his kids, and he said, I hope this guest some way towards explaining where the hell I was. And I actually discussed it with him many years a game and he said to me, it was really about that legacy for your family and your kids as well as yourself. But I'm happy there's some sort of record now where I've been and what I've done, and our journey from Egypt to Sydney and so on. But it is daunting.
Speaker 1: But okay, there's a couple of things to unpack there. But what you're saying too, and it makes me reflect even when you say it in this environment, that all the sacrifices you make it working in the sharp end of police in law enforcement like you did, and where you're not at the family Christmas party, you're not here or you've been called out, you're distracted, it does take a toll on the people around you. So a book is I'd like to be able to sit down that and read, Okay, that's where my father was or that's where my mate was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would hope also that my grandkids and great grandkids might get to read it. It's a bit of a legacy for us, I think for the Egyptian community generally, the Arabic community and all that. That's a part of it is that many people in the various communities encourage me to do this because they feel it's sort of a I won't say it's a good news story, but I hope it's somewhat inspirational. I hope I'm a little bit of a role model for some of the migrant communities. You know, we got it in nineteen sixty nine without much in our pocket. We had big dreams in our eyes, and we've done reasonably well. And if I can do it, one of the messages is anyone can do it.
Speaker 1: You jump out of the pages in the book, which I think is always a good read. I know you well and reading the book, it certainly is the neck that I know you don't pull any punches, but that's pretty much the way you've gone about your career. You knew where you stood, and that sort of comes out in the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope. So. I mean, I didn't set out to offend or upset anyone, but I said what I thought, and I do talk about the amount of scrutiny and that police today are under and the fact that those who oversite them, often bodies, generally super judicial bodies, have an enormous amount of power, and with that there should come an enormous amount of accountability, but that's not always the case.
Speaker 1: On the front page of the cover a little mantra that I think sets it well. Do good work, Live by your beliefs and fear no one that there are three strong statements are on the front cover of your book. Is that how you went about your career?
Speaker 2: I hope, I hope so, particularly the last one. I mean, I would hope in all the commands I've been in, and the people I've led and the people who have worked with me, we've never bent over because someone tried to stand over us, to go on a particular direction, or to do something that we don't think was right. I think you've been the same, and I'm really proud of you for doing that. Gary. But I think if you lose that, all is lost. And I used to tell people kids who are graduating from a police academy, nobody can take your integrity from you. You have to give it up. It's really your call what you do and how you act, and then you're accountable for what you've done.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good way and good advice. And I also hope with a book like this it might inspire people look at the life that you have lived. I'm sure in your wildest days when you walked into the academy, you didn't think you'd have the career that you've had.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I actually am not ambitious. I know I've got the deputy commissioner, but I didn't sit and think, jeez, I want to get promoted. I want to get promoted, and you and I know people who have. But I don't know. Things just happened. I was in the right place at the right time often, or there was something that I felt I was particularly suited to, and then when it came up, I threw Manhatt in the ring and was able to succeed.
Speaker 1: I think the system works when someone just can concentrate on doing their work and get rewarded, you know, without we know good cops, bad cops, all sorts of cops. But I say publicly that where people are trying to use the career in the police for their own personal gain, I'm not talking corruption, although it's probably pretty close to corruption where the main focus is how I can get promoted rather than what you're there to do the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. I mean I used to when I got to the senior ranks and I had to sort of sit in judgment on others and whether they get promoted or not. I like seeing guys and girls who are focused on the job. They've got and do it well without thinking about the next step, as you say, rather than those who get somewhere and they're already thinking about the next step and not focused on what they've got in front of them. You've got to make your mark everywhere you've been. You know, three or four years I think is good. And this is some extenuating circumstances. But three or four years and the one spot is good. You make your mark, do your best, and then you can look around.
Speaker 1: How do you think your upbringing shaped you in the way that you did? Police in there? Can you tell listeners a little bit about your upbringing, because it's unique in itself.
Speaker 2: Sure, I do go over it in the book. I hope I that sort of put anyone to sleep. But I was born and brought up. I'm Coptic Orthodox Egyptian Christian Egyptian Christian Arab and we were from the south far south, a place called us Jult, and they are fairly traditional and conservative they're but we moved from there to Cairo, and then from Cairo we migrated to Australia when I was about twelve in nineteen sixty nine. I think my upbringing has had a huge impact. Obviously, on who I am, on what I've done, and I think it probably applies to mass people. You're a product of your environment. Our family's fairly reasonably religious. We're Christians, my brothers. My brother was a medical doctor, but he gave up medicine and went into the priesthood the Coptic Orthodox Church, and he's still there. And I guess the core values that I hope that I hold and adhere to in fairness to others. I used to sell superintendents when people got promoted to superintendent. I used to try and see them before they got the paperwork. All I'll ask of you is that you treat others the way you'd like to be treated. So that really basic principle of fairness, how you treat people how you'd like to be treated. And I'd say to them that if I saw that not happening, you'll hear from me. By and large, people were good with that. But I think these sort of values about doing good, working hard, being fair to others, and not getting a big head about where you are and what you've achieved and what rank or position you hold. I think these are really important to me, and they all come directly out of my childhood. My father, as I mentioned in the book, was a weightlifter, and he had massive, big arms and legs and what have you. And he was a little bit shorter than me, but he's certainly chunkier, and he just I think, his whole life if he'd no man, And I hope I followed that. He certainly didn't change his views or bend in some really significant way just to please someone else, or was because someone's intimidated him, because he forgive the language, but he never took any shit from anyone.
Speaker 1: And you're going to get that in policing, aren't you, Even from at any rank. You're going to have those moral dilemmas and ethical dilemmas in policing and standing up for what's right or wrong and what you believe. What's the secret to that?
Speaker 2: Like, I guess I've been blessed in a number of ways, but one of them is having the support of my family and the not just the support, but the fact that they validate I guess where I'm heading and what I'm doing, And I think that's really important, having a sort of support network around it. And the second thing is with my friends and colleagues that I've had, including yourself, over the years, who have basically validated again what I'm doing and what I'm heading, and I count I've always counted on those around me to say, hang on a minute, you may have got this wrong. You want to look at it again. I will always listen to that. And I've had staff office as they call them, staff officer or achieve your staff as someone who really runs your office and is your right hand person man or woman. And I had that in the police for many years, and I had it overseas as well in the various roles I've had. It's a really important role. But it's again, it's someone who's a bit of a sounding board, who's not you, and who can speak to you honestly behind class doors about whether you've run off the rails, whether you've done something it's not going well, and then you, hopefully you listen and you fix it. I've always told those who worked around me, is you need to give it that't sugar cat, It just tell me what's really going on. I've seen other leaders who pat it on the back by their staff officers and staff when everybody knows they're not going well. It's no who's hiding it. You know, it's no use hiding the truth from them, because sooner or later it leads you down a completely wrong track.
Speaker 1: Well, it's that if the fable of the Emperor's new Clothes and everyone understanding, oh, you look great in that, and yeah, certainly, and yeah, I've been fortunate enough to work under the commands. You're the commander at homicide and other areas, and you always knew where you stood with you and I did like the fact, like there's some people would go in there and you know what the decision is going to be, you would at least give me your ear to hear what I've got to say. You might agree or might not agree, but it's a good way of leading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I think so. I actually appreciate that approach and other agencies as well. I do talk a little bit in the book about the Director of Public Prosecution. It's a really important office. Nick Cowdrey held that position for many years. But here was someone if he made a decision that we didn't agree with and we sought an audience to explain our thoughts, he would always make that happen. Not necessarily with him personally, but he would always make sure that you've got a hearing in writing or in person, or whatever you wanted to do. I think it's just really important to be fair to people. If they're disagreeing with you and they think they have a point of view that you should hear before you make a decision that affects them. In any walk of life or any walk of life, it's important.
Speaker 1: Holds you in good stead. Let's I want to read an extract out from the book, and it's just it's you explain it because it's fascinating. I love the description of it. I'll try to do it justice reading it out. So this is an extract from your book, and I want you to explain the situation. Smoke from the big, expensive colhebe cigars curled in the air around us. I sunk deep into a luxurious lounge, and the only thing between me and one of the most feared men in the Middle East was an elegant coffee table laden with French cakes, tiny cups of Arab coffee, and a massive astre. My companion was a man so powerful he could make people disappear in the heartbeat, including me, if he felt like it. And I was on his turf. You got my attention, Nick, tell us what's what that is about. That's an extract from the book Behind the Badge.
Speaker 2: Right, So, there's a probably a chapter or two in the book about my role as the Director of Oversight for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency. Essentially, I was like the head of Internal Affairs. UNU is an agency that handles all the issues to do with the Palestine refugees, which is very topical at the moment. Thirty thousand plus staff, a budget of two plus billion US a year in five countries where the refugees are located, five locations Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Gaza and the West Bank, and we had offices and staff in all five areas. I had four departments, Sorry to ramble a bit that I had four departments, and Investigations being one of the main ones, and then Audits evaluation. The un evaluates every program to see if it's working or not. And then the Ethics division. So wherever there were complaints about anything in process or even promotions, for instance, within the agency, we would investigate those. We had a whole lot of work to be done. In the Syrian office in Damascus, my investigators, in particular being refused visas to go into Syria. I, as the leader, had to find a way to change that so that we did get I managed to get. I used to get my visas all the time. I need to say we traveled on diplomatic passports with the United Nations. Theoretically you shouldn't need a visa to go anywhere, but the two countries that insisted on a visa were Israel and Syria. They're the ones were affect that affected us. So Syria, I had to find a way to reach the Syrian government to allow my people to be able to come in and out so they can carry out these really important investigations. And those investigations are particularly important to reassure donor countries. Hundreds of millions of dollars are involved. They need to make sure that they need to be assured that everything's on track, there's no corruption and so on, which I think buy in large was the case. So I tapped into an Egyptian fellow on you who was a very senior person in the United Nations security apparatus. I knew he had reach into the Syrian regime because of time he had spent there. And we had dinner in Amman and Jordan, where I was living at the time, with this United Nations posting, and I asked if you could introduce me to someone who can get this done. And he nominated this fellow the rank of major general, and he was essentially the head of a committee that had all the intelligence agencies, including the secret police and so on in the Assad regime in Syria. I took a bit of a gamble. Some people in my office said you shouldn't go. Others I didn't tell them because I knew it was just going to cause problems even it.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't go for safety reasons.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't safety, Yeah, So we'd fly into a be route and then get a car across and get picked up by the UN car. It's about two and a half hours to Damascus. You can't fly into Damascus in that stage because there was a war, and the UN said you can't be flying. He's not safe. So we'd drive to Damascus and then have our meetings. They used to go for four or five or a week, four or five days or a week, and then come back to beirutin and head back to Jordan where I was living, where headquarters was and so I arranged to meet this fellow through my contact and I got given the number of his chief of staff, who was a major, and that's who I dealt with to arrange the meeting. I on the day in question, when I decided to go and meet him, to ask you, very very nicely, if you could make sure that all my stuff got visas. I had one security person with me who was armed, and I think a car may have been armored at the time. It took us a while to find the compound. The run as science is nothing and the description I had simply wasn't the best. Eventually we found it and then we went They were expecting us, and we went through a number of checkpoints to get to these marble stairs to get that goes into the building, and my escort was told to stay in the car outside, and I didn't expect him to come in with me, and I wouldn't want him to coming with me. And then I went inside and we went through some more checkpoints and I met with the general and his chief of staff and a couple of others. I think we're there, and I explained what I was there for. Sorry, before I talked to him about all of that. And this is something for people to bear in mind when they're dealing with Arabic community in particular. But I think human beings generally, they should make a bit of an effort to build some rap or discuss the weather, you know, what you do on the weekend, whatever, just something, rather than just launching straight into business. Certainly in the Arab world, it's rude to come in and just launch into the business at hand. So we did that for about fifteen twenty minutes, and he was very interested in my background, why I spoke Arabic. He picked my accents straight away. I think he knew who I was and all that, So that's why I was there. And we had a really really animated, very positive discussion, and I think he liked me. I think I won him over, and he in some ways won me over as well. I mean, knowing what he's been involved in with the Assid regime, and I had conducted the investigation of the use of chemical weapons and all these guys were ended up to their ear holes. And yet it was impossible, as I say in the book, it was impossible to dislike the bloke when you met him up front. Up close, and he said you'll have what you'll get what you want, no problem, and he was true to his word. I did make an effort to go and see him a number of times after that, just to maintain a relationship. He was actually very helpful to us. I think the main thing I had to explain to him, and I sat and thought about that before I went and saw him, is we're not there investigating the Asset regime. It'syria. We're like internal affairs. We're investigating United Nations staff who were accused or suspected of doing the wrong thing. It's nothing to do with the regime. I do say in the book also that I wasn't sure if he really knew who I was, because I had led the investigation into the assassination of the Prime Minister and we charged Hesibela figures, and then I did the investigation to chemicalre weapons and we wrote the report that blamed the Asset regime. So on those two counts he would have been cranky with me, but I didn't see any sign of that. And in the last time I went to see him to say, look, I'm heading back to Australia, and you know he's took someone with me to introduce him, to maintain the contact, who was a Sudanese fellow who also spake Arabic. I still wasn't sure if he knew what I had done in the past, and I said something about a report being written, and he just looked at me and he said, and as people write reports about all sorts of things, it doesn't things, it doesn't mean anything. And him and his team just laughed, and he knew exactly who I was. But it didn't stop him helping me. It didn't stop him meeting with me. And certainly nothing bad happened to me, and I didn't think it would, Otherwise I wouldn't have gone in.
Speaker 1: I suppose the risk there, like UN been a member of the UN would offer you some form of protection, but it also make you a valuable asset. They wanted to look who we've got, We've got Nick possibly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but look, I mean, by and large, the regime played fair with the United Nations. But look, it was a bit of a risk. And after I did it, I declared it to those above me, and they weren't entirely comfortable with it. But we got the job done. We got the visas and our staff was going in. We're going in and out with no problem at all, in and out of CREA.
Speaker 1: If you can do that, there's probably a couple of things I should declare to you when you were my boss. So I didn't declare at a time, but we got a way over it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to need a list later too.
Speaker 1: I'll start in alphabetical order. It matters like that. But it's interesting, isn't it that the skills that you have as a police officer in New South Wales and state police, you've taken them on the world stage and it's about communication. It's about assessing people and building a rapport, which is pretty much the way you've got through your career in New South Wales.
Speaker 2: I hope so. Gary. The other thing is, I think I don't think I'm that special. I think police generally, but particularly detectives, are problem solves. We look at an issue and how do you get around it, how do you get the job done. It's what cops do every day of the week. I simply applied that wherever I went, and I was very lucky. We got everywhere I've been, we've actually achieved the objectives. So I'm happy about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the book is a rollercoaster of highs and lows and different things. Operation Mascot. Do you want to talk about it?
Speaker 2: Not particularly because I think it is important.
Speaker 1: I think it defines you as a person, and I'll let you tell the story. But the fact that you dug your heels in and kept fighting for not just yourself, for everyone because you didn't think it was ethical and fair and whatso.
Speaker 2: There it was supposed to be an investigation in the corrupt police, and there was a fellow known as M five, his identity suppressed, and he for some reason turned if you like, and offered or was forced to assist internal affairs and the Police Integrity Commission and the new South ask Grime Commission for quite some time, perhaps a couple of years of wiring up, you know, wearing a bug going around the state basically trying to talk to allegedly corrupt police to entrap them. Basically I was a subject of that. It was one of my complaints at the time was that the legislation allowing entrapment agent provocateur if you like, states that it can only be as a result of a specific complaint, and you can only test for that specific evense and you can only do it once. I got about half a dozen visits from him. I had someone else that had got fifteen visits from him, So there were no rules at that stage. Four Internal affairs and special crime.
Speaker 1: When did that happen? And how long you're.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know exactly when it started, but it was certainly the late nineties and into the two thousands, so I understand it wrapped up about two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, And would you have touched on in the book? So yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When we began discussions about the book with the publishers and the author and so on, I did make the point that I didn't want this issue of that I'm about to tell you about to be what defines me. I hope It's not what definds me. I hope. I'm a lot of other things as well. But it did play a part obviously in my life. That took a couple of years out of my life probably, So I was the target of internal affairs for quite some time and the Police Integrity Commission in unison. I was probably a loud, annoying voice in the background. I did get to be on the executive of the police union and wearing that hat. I can think of one particular press conference where I held the press conference and called them out for what they weren't following processes. After the wood Raw Commission, the oversight industry, if you like, was completely out of control. They could do whatever they wanted and justified by the fact that Wood had uncovered corruption, which he clearly did. It's made out about that, So then I became target one. Ironically, some of the people who I now know were investigating me I had made formal complaints about, so they had massive conflicts of interest. I also now know that I was the subject of eighty eight zero bugging warrants, which the Armbudsman at the time, Bruce Barber, the in a parliamentary inquiry. So they established a parliamentary inquiry. When the affidavits behind the warrants came to light, and it showed that most of us were not actually were not mentioned in the affidavits, so there was no information placed before the judge for him or her to sign the warrant to authorize us being buggd. It was completely inappropriate and illegal. Now when that came to light, there were many, many renewed complaints from one hundred and fourteen of us, and so they get Premier at the time, Barrier Farrell. He can't give it to internal Affairs, they're accused, couldn't give it to the Police Integrity Commission, they're accused, couldn't give it to the New southmast Crime Commission. They're accused. They were all part of this bugging operation Mascot, Operation Mascot Florida. So they gave it to the Ombudsman's office. Somewhere along the line they added the line in there that he should investigate who revealed the wrongdoing. Now, most of us it had been declared whistleblowers under the Public Interest Disclosures Legislation. I think it's Section nineteen of the Public Interest Disclosures Act says that if your problem is not solved within six months, you're entitled to it specifies in the Act. In the legislation you are entitled to talk to journalists and politicians, which is what a lot of us did. Now, the body that's meant to protect whistleblowers in New South Wales is the Mbuzman's office, and yet that's who grilled all of us about who revealed the wrongdoing. And to this day I've not been asked one question about the bugging. All of us have been asked about is who revealed the wrongdoing? So we complained the Office of Bombusman does not have an inspector, so he answered to Parliament. So we went to Parliament and they held two inquiries into what happened. And obviously they're not happy about the body that was investigating the wrongdoing also investigating who revealed the wrongdoing. You can't do that, and that's where it lays that they handed down a report that no one with no one agreed with. Certainly all the aggrieved individuals are very unhappy because there's been no closure. They never got to the bottom of the bugging, and no one's been held to account.
Speaker 1: There's been no It was an ugly, ugly time and there was a lot of us mentioned mentioned on the warrant and.
Speaker 2: Not what were you on there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got to the point where I didn't realize I was on there, But I was starting to get concerned because there's so many what I considered good police that were on there.
Speaker 2: A few people have said to me, what's wrong with me? How come I didn't make the warrants.
Speaker 1: I think I deserved it. We joke about it. But the police corruption, but you made an interesting point in your in your book, and we know what happened with the Wood Royal Commission and needed to stamp out corruption. There's no argument there. Then we have Skia investigating police and you made the point that, yeah, they got to the police pre royal commission to talk of noble cause corruption in that you know, the ends justify the means and all that and not being accountable. And it's started to evolve that the police, the people that were investigating the corrupt police for corrupt behavior, we're think, yeah, not with accordance to the rules, that.
Speaker 2: They were bending the rules too. There's not out about that. Yeah, look, I just it was one of those things I had to really sit and think about how much do I want to say do I want to say anything about this? And I didn't have it in me to leave it out, but I didn't want it to dominate the book, and I didn't want anyone to think this is a bit. This book is a big winch I hope it's not a win.
Speaker 1: Well, I put on record now because I read through it and I wondered where you were going with it. I didn't see it. There's a wine that was an observation, and you paid homage to you're not talking everyone, You're talking certain people and making things like there was something that really resonated with me that people that were investigating weren't working within the restrictions of that we have to do as police officers. Even though they were police officers, they weren't qualifying for their weapons.
Speaker 2: And all that stuff.
Speaker 1: All that stuff like that about unfairness. So I probably zero in in light of what's happened to me, But I think it was a balance view, and you were very careful not to attack in the individuals on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I really didn't want to set out to have it, as we said, to be a big wings. I have most of the book, and the tone of the book is positive. It's about a happy story where I achieved a great deal and started with nothing and so on. But I also couldn't leave it out. It was the same as actually making the complaints way back. I had to make a decision do I sit silently and let someone else do their heavy lifting. But I mean I had got the deputy commissioner and I had at least two friends who really suffered by what happened with Operation Mascot in the en ones Month's office. They were treated very badly. I didn't have it in me to pretend I didn't see what was happening and to let someone else do their heavy lifting, right up until the day I walked into the parliamentary inquiry and unleashed if you like. I found out later that the crime squads had basically down tools that day and stayed glued to the TV. A lot of them stayed glued to the TV and the meal rims.
Speaker 1: We're interested, I'll admit to that.
Speaker 2: But the bottom line is, I think you just have to make a decision. I didn't have it in me to walk away and just forget, you know, so let someone else do the heavy lift. Before I walked into that parliamentary inquiry, my lawyer, who I trust with my life, said to me, last chance, Is there any chance you just let this go and let someone else take the heavy lifting?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I just said, I just I really appreciate you're worrying about me. I've made my mind up. I mean a lot of politicians said to me, if you do this, you might feely have done the right thing, but it probably means you'll never be a commissioner. I thought about it and I made a conscious decision to go ahead. You know what, I regret nothing, absolutely nothing. I do it all again tomorrow for I had to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think it's mark you as a man and the officer that you respected for the type of person. But what's a personal cost? So I know taking the stand. I've taken the stand on different things, and I know it comes to the cost. You get, okay, I'm going to do this. You're sitting they're thinking do I really want this? No? Fuck it? And you go in there and you do it. But it takes a cost. What sort of costs does it take on you?
Speaker 2: It certainly took the stuffing out of me for a few years. I was dragged into hearings at the Police Deegorty Commission and all that. I go into all that, and on a personal level, I certainly didn't help my marriage. And you know, when I went to the parliamentary inquiry someone I had remarried my current wife and I don't think she'd been through something like this before, but watching her husband go through a really horrible time. There's a lot of mudfrain in every direction. Thankfully, I don't think anything stuck to me. My complaint was that I had not been asked one question about what had gone wrong with twenty one Supreme Court judges signing warrants where they're authorizing the bugging of people even though they're not mentioned in the affidavit and there is no information against us. If that has happened, then I'm hoping it doesn't still continue. Then you know, it's a huge miscarriage of justice. I see that whole episode and the inquiry that followed it as a dark day, a very dark day for justice in the state of New South Wales. It hasn't been righted, it's never been sorted. It still hangs like a cloud over a whole lot of people, and there's no closure. I mean, one of the reasons I took on the Lebanon investigations was to try and give people closure. Out of all those murders that had happened. You and I have worked on homicide, and it's probably one of the most satisfying things when you solve the murder and lock up the murderer and you can go to the victim's family sit down with them and say, this is what happened. We now know the truth. At least it won't bring them back the person that's been killed, but at least you know what happened, and it gives you closure. I mean that's a really extreme example, but certainly the bugging saga there's been no closure.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the fact that you stand up. Sometimes you don't get the exact result you're aiming for. Sometimes that doesn't come out. But the fact that you stood up and made peopleccountable because it was worrying that people know. Okay, we're the major crime detectives. People make allegations against it, the nature nature of our work, and then you have the people sitting above the judicating on us. Well, they should be working by the same rules we're working by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, procedural fairness should trump all.
Speaker 1: And you can't you can't argue, can't argue with that. But I had a laugh, and that there is for all the darkness, there's some humor. Then you became the deputy commissioner after causing all this kerfuffle, and who do you have to oversee the very body of the command that you were complaining about tell me about that? How that go? That would have been a nice meeting.
Speaker 2: First up, well, I think the Special Crime Unit, which really had no reason to exist, it was a mini CIB competing with the ouse version of the CIB, come an investigation area in crime agencies. And then it becomes that Crime Command was simply about individuals who felt this was good for their career. That's my view now. I think everyone felt that it wasn't working and it needed to be disbanded. But I was briefed by the Australian Federal Police about their secret investigation into a fellow called Marke Standen, who was the Assistant Commissioner in the new Southwest Crime Commission, a former Federal police officer and former customs agent. I was told obviously it had to remain a secret for a little bit longer. I think it was six months or so after I was brief that he was finally arrested. But he was sort of the co leader or co commander really of the Special Crime Investigations internal affairs. So when he was arrested and charged and he's been convicted, he's done his time and he's out. Now I understand he did twenty odd years. By the way, when that happened, we then moved towards shutting down the special crime function of Internal Affairs and got Internal Affairs to go back to being internal affairs. We changed the name to Professional Standards, which is a lot more than just internal affairs. It's about doing things proactively and having processes in place, sps, standard operating procedures in place and so on. That helped the cop on the street to give them an environment in which they can know what's right and what's wrong, and have resources that help them make decisions and so on. And I'm really proud Paul Carey was the Assistant commission that we promoted to get that job done. And he did say to me at one stage that the word fairness did not appear in any of the literature in the previous regime, and any of the standard operating procedures. Fairness just didn't feature.
Speaker 1: It's all my like they were creating a pseudo major crime.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, so yeah, look, but to your point, the day I made a decision, so I had been promoted to Deputy commission, a specialist operation. I was among the many commands I had. I was in charge became in charge of internal affairs. I had to go down and tell them that we're disbanding the unit and then lead to go back into the mainstream and that will help them in any way they can, which we did and some of them did, and some of them simply didn't want to do that. But it was a joke at the time that they were. As I was coming up in the lift, they were probably wiping my name off the whiteboards as target one.
Speaker 1: Well you know what's it saying? You should be nicer people on the way up different things? Yeah, I mean I'd come back to hall.
Speaker 2: I didn't particularly take any joy from it. Some good people there who had simply been let down by the system allowing them to sit in that place for ten or fifteen years. And I meant what I said on the day. We did our best to try and have them reintegrate into normal policing. So they were in a secret area of internal affairs, working out of the new South Wales Crime Commission, relying on its resources and its secrecy provisions. They were removed from reality, from the reality of policing for a decade.
Speaker 1: And yeah, look at Mark Stanton, what a blight on the position he held and the stuff he was up to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it does throw light on super judicial bodies, as I mentioned before, and it's in the book about them having extraordinary power, perhaps often without the extraordinary checks and balances that must go with it. I mean, we've traded away the right to silence in many jurisdictions, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: One. Just as you're telling the story, I'm thinking, and you do have a skill, and it comes across in the book that you can be critical of people, but the way that you talk about people, you tend not to make it personal. It's more okay, this is the factual. I'm not happy with this, and I think that served you well because you've pulled me down a couple of times. But I've never taken offense. And I said, I still think it's funny, and I'm still embarrassed and annoyed it myself. I might have boiled up on the last podcast, but those that didn't hear it when I forget which job it was on, but I had the cranky hat on on Speed Kingdom a staff on demanding staff. You weren't giving me enough staff. You're in the Posta's chair in the homicide Jason EVAs Luke Rank and you know the crew I'm working with, and they will go in and tell him, go in and fucking telling him. I said, I will. I'm going in the telling him, I'm going to demand we get more staff. We can't do this. And I walk into your office. They've whipped me up into a frenzy. I go in there, you go good a Jube's okay? Well, and then I start talking and then start talking and talking, and we spoke for about fifteen minutes and I walk out, walk back to the strike force, and they go, how'd that go? If we get more staff? I said, no, it went good. Well did you get anything? No? And then I've said to them, but I think Nick, as I was walking out, I still to this day and embarrassed by that. Nick, I don't know. I don't know how you get it.
Speaker 2: I'm negotiator.
Speaker 1: Don't negotiate with my wife.
Speaker 2: Off and says to me, don't negotiate me.
Speaker 1: I know what you're doing one step ahead. But I'm telling you I was going in there, going in there, cranky at the cranky at the time. Now ask you a tough question. You can't avoid this. It's one that needs to be asked, and I expect an honest answer for you before we wrap up part one. You supervise myself and you also supervised Pam Young. Can you tell me who you think is the best detective?
Speaker 2: Clearly it's Pam.
Speaker 1: I think you're a coward.
Speaker 2: You're a cowd I think you're both outstanding. I'm not saying it because you know you're my mate or she's my mate. You both are. But we had you know, when I look back on it, Jews, I was the commander of the homicide squad for probably four years or so, and we had outstanding talented detectives there, including you and Pam and many others. So I've been doing it for a decade of fifteen years and so on. You know all the people, you know. It's just I always feel a sense of sadness when I see people move on from homicide. But I know you've got to do it, but for your career and otherwise, it is one of the most important jobs that you can have in policing. There is no more serious crime than murder than a human being having their life taken, and you need the best. Hopefully, to deal with that sort of crime and you're outstanding.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: She was better.
Speaker 1: They were good times. I just clarify one thing. I didn't move on from homicide for my career.
Speaker 2: I got charged.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll wrap up, wrap up part one. There's plenty more to talk about because your books full of stuff. So thank you. Have a short break.
Speaker 2: Thank you,