Speaker 1: I get our to him, I hope you're bloody terrific, welcome to another installment, and that you project. And when I say that, you project kind of So as you know, I go on other podcasts and sometimes I do an interview or have a conversation with someone else on their show. I really enjoy it. I think it's high value conversation, and so with their permission, we kindly do what's called a co share, and that happens both ways. Sometimes people are on my show, I interview them, and then they take that episode back to their show for want of a better term, and then they share that with audience. We call that a co share. So recently, with all that in mind, recently I was on Andrew May's podcast which is called Performance Intelligence, the Performance Intelligence Podcast, and here's a bloody gun. He's a slightly better version of me. I'm being honest. Maybe I guess, I'll let you decide, But anyway, he's brilliant. Loved him him, loved our conversation. And because of that, look, there will also be if you're very familiar with me and my stuff, there'll be a fair bit of familiarity about the conversation. So feel free to have a bit of a squizze and see whether or not you want to keep going. You might not want to because there'll be some repetition, but we do cover new ground. He's a good interviewer. He also shares his own thoughts and ideas which are really worth listening to. But before you listen to it, I want to tell you that next weekend, as I'm recording this and recording this Sunday to be up Monday, So next weekend being August the eighteenth, I'm going to be in Bendigo doing my Understanding You workshop. Understanding You it's brand new workshop, new content, a bit of old stuff but of new stuff, bit of a synthesis of both, bit of convergence of the old and newer, bit of fun, a bit of storytelling, a bit of science, a bit of my PhD, a bit of research, a little bit of interaction. It is called Understanding You. It's three our workshop. You can book in via my site Craigharpa dot net. Also, so that's next next week Sunday the eighteenth, same workshop happening in melbs on September eighth. September eight happening in Melbourne. Also go to my website, if you want to have a look, if you want a book, if you want to get involved. But without further ado, Andrew may me you us it ready, steady go. I say, put up your hand if you've ever heard your voice on audio recording, and everybody goes, oh god, oh my god. Then I go all right, hands down, Now put your hand back up if you think you sound like shits, And every hand goes up, and I go, well, the bad news is that's how we hear you all the time. Yeah, exactly. And then you say, well, what's more in your life or your house? And people go, what a stupid question? Well, of course my life.
Speaker 2: What question.
Speaker 1: You spent a year designing your house, but you won't spend a week designing your optimal life, you know, And again not trying to be critical, but just you know, here's the thing. None of us are going to accidentally end up succeeding. Letting people see your metaphoric wartz is cool, you know. It's it's the space between persona and person persona. This is me, hey who and this is me? This is me just talking sharing, And I think there's always going to be a little bit of something performative because I'm a bit of a performer, like I love fucking making people laugh, I love telling stories. But then woven through that is vulnerability and a bit of pain and a bit of embarrassing stuff, and a real insight into a real human experience that isn't all shiny and beautiful.
Speaker 2: Optimized performance through adapting your physical, psychological, and emotional states. Craig Harper is obsessed with human behavior, and over the past four decades he has worn multiple hats including exercise scientists, personal trainer, corporate speaker, university lecturer, AFL strength and conditioning coach, business owner, and self proclaimed bogan. Harps his host of the wildly successful podcast The You Project, and he is a true jack of all trades speaker, author, podcast entrepreneur, scientist, and PhD candidate. His PhD is about how others experience you, diving into principles including meta cognition, theory of mind, meta perception, and meta accuracy. And today we've tracked the big man down to explore the practical applications of his research in our everyday lives. Craig Harper, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Hi buddy, that was nice. You've done a little bit of writing and prep look at you like a grown up.
Speaker 2: It wanted to do a different intro from the normal one that everyone gets off your website. Hey, we had a lovely conversation a couple of weeks ago, you me Tiff on the You project, and that stimulated to have this discussion where at the end we said, hey, let's get you on performance intelligence podcasts. But I love that chat we had made around purpose, passion, and also talking about all other things starting with pe potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I really loved it. And I've people maybe who don't do what we do, who don't do podcasts and stuff, might not realize how fun this is. Like for me a really busy day yesterday. I got up this morning and I wasn't too I knew that I was talking to you today. At some stage I looked at my diary and I went, oh, awesome, because that's for me. It's a fun hour. There's nothing about this that's like work. And like I'm genuinely I mean, I'm sixty, like you said, four decades. I've been doing a version of this for ever, learning, growing, being the student, being the teacher, being the coach, you know, fucking up, getting up, falling down, winning, losing, failing, succeeding, all that normal human stuff, and I'm just as excited as ever. Like genuinely, I love human potential. I love trying to understand who we are, how we are, and why we are the way we are.
Speaker 2: So and it shows see you again. It shows in your podcasting. And it's nice now me being the podcast and interviewing you the talent rough frame, because I know you're you say that your free range, loose, unscripted, I call bullshit. You're much more than the former fat kid from Mawi. I've said this to you, and you get a little smile, the little lips light up. You know where I'm going. You've done forty years of research, mate, so you've done a bit of prep. So a rough frame. I'm really curious why did you choose the topic of how other people experience you? I want to pull on that thread. Is there a story or stories that lead to that. I've never heard you talk about that, so full disclosure. When I started my PhD, I started looking at motivation. So what often happens with a PhD, especially in psych, is that people will start and then a month or two or three or four in they're like, this is this is going to be a big problem, like a bigger than big problem, or there's you know, this is there's too much already done. Or you come to a realization and you take a slight left turn, or you do a one ad I did a one eighty. So I was looking at motivation, the role of motivation in creating you know, change, and you know all that kind of general stuff. But there's just a huge amount of divergence and ambiguity around the concept of motivation in psychology, and it was probably going to be really messy and so not that long in probably three months in I changed tact And so, as you said in the intro, I'm looking at a thing called, colloquially we would call it the you experience, which is you the listener, you who are listening, your ability to understand what it is like for other people to be around you, which we call metaperception, and then how good you are at that we call that meta accuracy. So the genesis for that was lots and lots of conversations with leaders and bosses and.
Speaker 1: Managers and coaches who really had no idea what it was like for their tribe, their team their group to be around them, and I thought that was fascinating. And their understanding of themselves for the group was not the groups I'm understanding. There was a lot of divergence, right, There was a lot of separation in the perspectives. And the bottom line was, you know that there were some bosses who were in some ways really good, great business skills, knowledge, you know, like high IQ, but at the same time they couldn't build rapport, connection, trust, respect because they really didn't know how the group saw them or perceived or processed them. And maybe even more importantly, they didn't seem to care. And I was always curious about that. Where I would go into I would get called in to do some work with a company, and you know the kind of the directive wash that's you know, the culture is not great, communications not great. It's just not it's not a great energy or environment to be and could you come and kind of do your thing. So I would talk to a few people, and then I would often talk to the boss and I'm like, I found the problem that's up in this office. It's this office up here in the corner. Here's the problem that bell end of the corner. Oh, it's you, there's the problem. Yeah, it's Brian or Sally up in the corner office, right so, and that you know, just that, and nobody's trying to be you know, difficult, that's nobody's goal. And yeah, so that just opened the.
Speaker 2: Door for me.
Speaker 1: Mate. I didn't even know what it was called, but I used to say to these people, what do you think it's like being around you? And honestly, most of them are never deeply thought about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or some's in total disconnect. It's frickin awesome because I'm the CEO c sweet, so everyone must have a great time when they spend time with me. You go, actually, mate, you're a bit of a wanker, do you know that? How would you frame that? Is your research helping you not just understand it, but how to communicate that to Brian in the corner office, who's a bit of a nolburn disconnect between everyone else.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean the responses range from oh fucking hell, that's interesting, I've never really thought about it, and then there's a bit of for some of them, there's a bit of a light bulb and a moment of self awareness, and it's really the beginning of something, and like you said, almost at the opposite end of the scale is well, I don't really care. I'm not here to make friends. You know, they're here, they're paid to do a job. I'm here to tell them what to do. And it's kind of that. And I'm like, well, yes and no, but you're not employing robots. You're employing humans with emotions and feelings and you know, beliefs and values and expectations and a need to be respected and valued and all of those things. And so the responses were really varied. But these days, like we were chatting before we pressed the go button, yesda. I did two gigs with two different groups, two corporate groups, and I talk about this a bit as part of my presentations, depending on the focus of the presentation. Of course, one of those was a one hour keynote. One was a two hour workshop. But most people are like, oh wow, that's actually that's actually really interesting. And the way that I open the door and get people to have a little bit of an insight is I say, put up your hand if you've ever heard your voice on audio recording, And everybody goes.
Speaker 2: Oh god, oh my god, and I go all.
Speaker 1: Right, hand down, now put your hand back up if you think you sound like shit, and every hand goes up, and I go, well, the bad news is that's how we hear you all the time. And it just gives people a little bit of an analogy, a little bit of a you know, it's like, oh really, I go, yeah, that's that's the version or that's the audible version of you that we get. So that's kind of a sample or an example for you of you know, the distance between your version and our version of you. Yeah. So it's just it's a tipping off point, and it's I think also point out that it's not something to be worried about, but rather curious about. Like we're not talking about, oh my god, do they like me? We're not talking about insecurity or fear or self loathing. We're talking about if I can understand their version of me, then perhaps I can build rapport on connection and we can work better together. We can be a better team, we can resolve conflict quicker, we can create better, we can solve problems better, you know. So it's it's really about trying to create positive interpersonal and professional outcomes.
Speaker 2: Before we jump into the research and some of your findings because I know you've got this self awareness pyramid, which I love. I heard you in the Irish Lad Paul Taylor. It's hard to have sort of audio subscriptions, isn't When you're talking to the Irish Lad.
Speaker 1: He is I've known him for a while, but yeah he does, and especially when he talks fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, good man, Pete. But a question I've got for you. You've got a story of you've got a recollection of where you have shown up differently, and then you've got feedback down the track and you went, oh shit, really is that what they thought? And I'll give you one. I've had to give you some time to think of. One. Sold a previous business to KPMG when in there as a partner, which means foreigner. When you're a lateral higher, I had no idea about risk compliance, stakeholder engagement. And there's five hundred other partners that all have their hands on the ship as well. And I had an amazing coach who work with me, and she said, Andrew, you're used to being a fighter pilot and everyone is around you putting the fuel in right, go off the ship out and the sea. You told when to take off when to land, and everyone's doing everything for you. Now, Jill said, you're flying at a three eighty and there's five hundred other people you need to share the controls with, and you come across as being too fast paced, sometimes not listening, do your own thing, and a little bit selfish. And I went fuck Jesus because I wouldn't have thought I was selfish. I wouldn't have thought that I was too fast. But my skill set Harps had been so trained, and you've worked on running a small business and being a keynote speaker. Were you're talking at not talking too The perception I had on other people's experience with me wasn't exactly the same. And then the team I had as well, we did a proper three sixty, not a three sixty when you own it and hey, what do you think of me? We'll go out to lunch after, but a proper independent three sixty. I've got similar feedback that people said they liked me, they saw the passion, but I was too pushy, and that it was very much we're doing it this way, jump on or jump off. Also, that had been strengthened by sport. You've worked in sport you don't actually coach in sport. You tell because you've got a whole bunch of men and women to make the team and they're highly competitive. So that was a slab for me. It was like a big wet fish across the face harps where it's like, God, I think I can communicate, and I pride myself on being caring and collegiate, but I'm coming across to some people as a bit of a knob shit and it hurt. The feedback hurt.
Speaker 1: I can understand that. But if it's true that it's better that you know it, that I know it, that we know it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Also, your intention, albeit good, your intention will not always be someone else's experience true. Right, So my intention might be, hey, mate, I want to give you know, we finished this, we wrap it up, and I want to say, hey, you're doing a great job, but can I just share a couple of thoughts with you? Right? And then all of a sudden you're like, fuck your thoughts, I don't want your thoughts. Fuck you what now I might and by the way, I'm not going to do that. I wouldn't even think of it because you do a great job. But in this hypothetical. My intentions are good. I want to help you build a better business and brand and podcasts and give all that. Right, So my intention in this hypothetical might be good, but your experience might be why is he criticizing me? Why is he blah blah blah. So positive intention, negative experience happens all the time. So that's the first problem that's happening constantly in business and various organizations. The second problem is that the boss or the leader or the coach doesn't know that it's happening because they just assume that other people think like them. There's this I don't know if we spoke about it last week, but there's a thing in psychology called false consensus effect.
Speaker 2: Did we speak about that? No, we didn't, so I've heard you talk about it.
Speaker 1: Jot that down. So that just means that we, without thinking about it, we kind of assume that people think like us. So false consensus effect, right, And the truth is that the only person in the world who thinks like Craig Harper all the time is Craig Harper. And so I would be silly to assume that what means ABC for me means ABC for Andrew and the listeners, And so I am constantly at least aware of this idea of how do I share this thought, this idea, this message in a way that connects optimally with Andrew or with Andrew's audience. How do I do that? What does that look like? Because I'm not talking to me, And back to that thing of you know, I can't be objective about me because I am me, so in a way, I care more about what you think of my speaking skills than what I think because you're more representative of the audience than I am, because you're an outsider looking in. I'm it. So this idea of and some of the things that we need to own up to and think about we don't like owning up to and thinking about because it means, you know, I've got a like you. Oh well, maybe I am selfish or maybe I am or.
Speaker 2: That was the big one for me, and it was part of my evolution from being x in external exogenous other people giving feedback, which is part self esteem or low self esteem part again, just you get so used to the external validation and you don't maybe sit and reflect what does it mean to me? It was a huge pivotal point and just piecing it together as I'm talking to you. Not long after that, about a year eighteen months, I did a deep dive on purpose because it started to open that Oh, okay, what is this about? How do I get that nice blend between X? And you wouldn't have done the two gigs yesterday, You wouldn't have one of Australia is in podcast if you didn't have people connecting with your message, following and liking. So you do need that, but you got to marry that. And I think that's that authenticity. I see, you've got you rock up, You're comfortable who you are. Hey, take it or leave it, this is me. But you've got that nice dance between the two. So it's inner and there's a real drive and purpose and connection. But you're connecting with others. So back to that question. Have you had an experience like me where you thought you were showing up in one way and you got feedback that was really disconnected to how you thought you were connecting or showing up. Yeah, many times.
Speaker 1: But the one that is the standout for me, which was the stepping off point for having this other awareness, was when I back in the day, I used to lecture what in Victoria called vic FIT courses, so teaching CIRT threeand cert for would be personal trainers and gym instructors. And one of the reasonably consistent bits of feedback that came in with the feedback ORMs that all their students would fill out is that, you know, mostly Craig's not terrible. We like him, he's a bit funny, he's done. But probably about one in ten said something like he's intimidating. And I'm like, who fucking said that? What are their names? Where are they give me their addresses?
Speaker 2: You know, you stand up the front of the class next time. All right, some of you fucking bastards have said I'm intimidating, stand up, stand up right now, get up here, And I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what anyone means. But it was, of course, of course it was. They had every right to say that, and clearly for a percentage of the people I was.
Speaker 2: And just for context for people listening to this, and you can follow this on YouTube now as well, the Performance Intelligence podcast. So I did there, mate, just got a nice little YouTube lug. But when I first met you, gosh, twenty five years ago, you were seriously jacked. So you were you were the gym Jim junkie, right. You owned Australia's biggest I think Southern Hemisphere is the biggest personal training studio. So you were the weights guy like you. You had biceps on biceps, So I'm imagining back then you'd have your happy pants, you weightlifted pants. You'd have your boots or you know, shoes are tight T shirt that's probably a couple of sizes too short because you got the pecks and got the delts, so physically you would have been quite intimidating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I probably was. I was probably well put in context on five five ten ish and I'm now I'm about eighty five kilos. Then I was probably about one hundred and five and maybe leaner than I am now, so muscles on my eyelids and all of that, and probably mildly happy with myself if I'm being self aware and all of that. But I didn't, I mean, it wasn't my intention, Like nothing in me had that as a goal to be intimidating. But I mean the bottom line was that I was to some people, and so I had to I had to think about that. I had to lean into that and try to understand what I was doing and how I was being that created that impact or effect for some And of course you can't control everyone's response. But you know that was good for me because and since then I've kind of like, I realize that I am, even forty years later, I'm a work in progress. I'm I get trapped an ego, I'm insecure at times, I have imposter syndrome at times, still all of those normal human things. But I think what is you know, what is good is somebody in your position who you are a leader, you have followers, you have you stand in front of groups. So do I all of this? But I think when you genuinely, not disingenuously, but when you genuinely talk about your own bullshit and your own fuck ups, and your own idiosyncrasies, and your own insecurity and your own fear, while also sharing some strategies and stories and techniques that might help people think do be better. People value that more and trust you more because you're not some fucking guru pontificating from a stage who's living this flawless, perfect existence, in this perfect marriage with these perfect fucking genetics. You know, there's some I can't start. That's and so for me, like there's a lot of similar models to this, but I put people into kind of all our different cells into five categories. The first is public you. These are self explanatory, then personal you, then private you, then secret you, then future you the you that you want to be so personal public you is the one that everyone sees. There's no real filter. You know, you're not you kind of You'll let that version of you connect with the world, and the world see that version of you. Then there's kind of personal you, which is more you know, family friends, maybe five to ten people get personal you. And then private you might be your partner or your mum, or your sister or somebody one or two maybe that are very close and pretty much know everything. Then secret you that's just you. That's the shit that you're telling no one, the feelings that you're sharing that insecurity that you. And then future you is or potential you is who I might want to be and who I might want to become. And I try as much as possible to share private me with the world, like the stuff that most people wouldn't the stuff that I'm genuinely scared of. The stuff that I think I might do well or poorly, my own insecurity, my own you know, the space between my values and my behavior. Am I a great role model?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Should you be like me? No? But I'll you know, I try to be less performative than I used to be. You know, I know that, see you, And I know this right as a speaker, and people who don't do this job might not think about this, But as a speaker, I know that I've got pretty good skills. I've got lots of miles on the clock, a pretty good situational and social and public awareness in that context, and I know that I can walk out on a stage do my job forty five minutes, sixty minutes, bibbity bobbedy boo skills, blah blah blah. Tell the stories, you know, share the messages. Thanks very much. I'm Craig Harper. You're all fucking awesome. Yeah, there's that, and that ain't terrible, but for me, that's more choreograph, scripted and performative. But the stuff that blows me away and people away, and it's not about Craig Harper, but is when you get beyond that show and you start to create a level of emotional, psychological, sociological, maybe even who knows, spiritual connection that's got nothing to do with any performance or script or plan. You're just raw, and you're just in the moment. And you know, I don't not that they're bad, but I don't use videos or slides or I just get up and see where we go. And sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's it's fucking amazing. And as you and I have said before, the amazing's got nothing to do with me. I'm just a conduit to the amazing. And when that sounds like bullshit and people go, eh, but there's stuff that's happened in my own workshops and seminars that I can't even explain, but something happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And for context, you said this before we went on. You're still banging out about one hundred presentations a year, so you're not like one of those people that does two keynotes and has all over their website International Keynotes speaker as seen on the stage back in nineteen eighty four when we both have down, so you're doing a lot up. Couple of things. One is it's this awareness when you move from denial and say that river floating in Egypt. So I was in denial about some of those habits and behaviors often linked to not low self esteem, but absolutely not confidence where you can be there in your own skin. So that was a big shift for me. And I can hear that's happened with you from the VIC fit and other examples. But when I listen to you and I catch up with you, I've seen you present a few times as well. You're really authentic. There would be a bunch of people here listening who are shit scared going I can't let people know the private me. God, I'm not going there, let alone the personal mate, because I've been taught my leaders said, all right, young fella, young lady, when you turn up, leave your shoes and your personality at the door. And when you're working for this bank, consulting firm, telco, insert government organization, you've got to be the job description of the role. We don't want your personal shit. Now that's changed a lot, thank goodness. But it's authentic authenticity rather than the hey, now, let me be authentic with you. I don't think i've shared this story with you. A guy that I used to work with, lovely guy. It leads a big and he said, Mazie, can you come and watch me speak. I'm speaking at our open forum town hall, and I want you to help me because you do good speaking and stuff. So I'm watching him and he started a bit nervous, a bit dry, and then he opened his arms and I think he'd listened to Brene Brown. He said, now, let me be authentic with you, and I felt like, so, now let me kick you in the balls. God, don't say to people, let me be authentic. You be authentic. You do authentic. I see you do that beautifully. I see some people now they do it, and I feel like I need a shower.
Speaker 1: Well, if it's choreographed, it's not fucking authentic. So it's like, you know, fake authenticity. And I think letting people see your your metaphoric wartz is cool. You know. It's the space between persona and person you know, persona, this is me, hey who? And this is me this is me just talking sharing, And I think, look, if we're well, if I'm honest, there's always going to be a little bit of something performative because I'm a bit of a performer. Like I love fucking making people laugh. I love telling stories. I love manipulating the crowd in a good way, you know. But then woven through that is vulnerability and a bit of pain and a bit of embarrassing stuff and a real insight into a real human experience that isn't always shiny and beautiful. But I think, you know, that's the thing of trying to create this synergy and symphony of messages and entertainment and connection. Because the other thing, too is like what people don't think about. You know. You could get on stage, or I could get on stage, and we could share what is the most mind blowing information of all time, with no nuance, with no story, with no peaks and troughs, with no humor, with no and not only does it not have a good impact, it has a terrible impact in you. And I never get any more work.
Speaker 2: You've gotta have a bit of Joe's hands, halps some jazz hands. But if you've got too much Jaz's hands, you don't get booked to do the jazz. It's like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Right, this porridge is just right, and that's it. That's a skill to adapt that to an audience as well.
Speaker 1: Well. It's a real challenge because when you start, as you know, when you start, like firstly, when I started, I was fucking terrible. It's so bad. But you can't get good at what you're not doing right. You can't get better at the thing that you won't do, and you can't get better at the thing that you won't acknowledge. Hey, Craig, you're intimidating. No, I'm not. Fuck off.
Speaker 2: Who fucking said right?
Speaker 1: So I can't. I can't get better at being less intimidating, or at least trying to, you know, unless I first go Okay, cool, thank you. I'm aware now, so I need to lean into that. But you know, this whole I feel I'd probably sound old when I say this, but I feel like a lot of people are very impatient now. It's almost like they want ten years worth of experience in a year.
Speaker 2: We want a hack, like download it, mate, Can you give me the Craig Harper the U Project hack. What do you mean You've been spending forty years trial tribulation, triumph, stuff up, setbacks and you've got this experience, But can you give that to me in a download? No, you can't get in a download. That's a huge problem I see with my kids now, you and I, little Craig, little Andrew used to go the library for people listening. There's this thing that used to have in councils where you'd have books WITHZ They used to have real books where you go there and you'd actually you'd put your name and you'd wait for a book. But at Glennys where I grew up, James Collin, great kid, James, real nerd, but he was always the first to get the book. So harps. I'd have to wait two weeks to do my geography assignment. Can you imagine saying that to a kid, Now, wait two weeks until you go get the books? They go, No, I was just downloaded off the internet. So that's part societal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do some coaching with a guy, a young guy called Brad who's a jiu jitsu black belt, And arguably jiu jitsu is the hardest martial art in the world to get a black belt, and it takes if you're consistent and you start today and you've got some talent, it'll take you about ten years. Right, So it's not one of these martial arts where you start on Monday and by Wednesday week. You're a black belt, right, And I was talking to him about I said to him, if I started now, when would I get my black belt? If I went three four days a week and I'm sixty You said, well, you might never get it. Let's say that. I'm like, okay, thank you. And then he said, but oh, probably, you know, if your body didn't fall apart ten to fifteen years. I'm like, fuck, really, It's like yeah, yeah. And that's the thing, and that's why they're held in really high regard. He's a second or third dan black belt. They've earned it. It took him, and he's good at it. It took him a decade to get his black belt, right, and he's good. He's a natural. But this is the thing, is that whatever we do, whatever we're doing for the first time, we're a white belt, and the journey of getting you know, metaphorically strangled and choked and tapped and kicked in the dick and punched in the face and all of those things. You know, this is the journey. And also not only is that the journey, that's the practical reality of becoming good or mastery or high performance or human optimization or whatever you want. To call it. But not only is the outcome then worth it, it's the journey that is the real value because the journey changes you. You know the thing that we the thing that we want in our culture, which is we want success everybody. Nobody wants to be a failure. Of course, success means different things to different people, and nobody wants to be a dud. Nobody wants to be unhealthy, nobody wants to be broke, nobody wants to be unpopular, nobody wants to fail. But also nobody wants to be uncomfortable. Well, guess what if you're not at least prepared to get uncomfortable on a semi regular basis that growth, that learning, that adaptation, that improvement, that high performance, it's unlikely.
Speaker 2: And thank goodness, we've got research now around post traumatic growth. Because everyone was saying, oh, stress will break you, but there's a whole bunch of people that go through high levels of stress, even trauma, and they grow and they flourish. So we're seeing more research come out of that from especially Martin Seligman started that with the US military. Hey on the research frame because we could talk stories and experience, but there's a real rigor to what you do, which I love as well. So you can tell us a little bit about the self awareness pyramid, and so is that something you've come up with or have you adapted Maslow Blooms taxonomy. I'm thinking of a whole bunch of other frameworks.
Speaker 1: Look, I could make that. There could be lots of different layers to that. I just I developed that. But obviously all of those terms are not my terms. It's just a way like I kind of developed this simple pyramid to get people to understand, you know, my stuff quite easily. I've got a really good little graphic that I will send you that you might want to use that will put them in the show notes. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyway, So in this pyramid, at the bottom of the pyramids, so there's four levels. The bottom of the pyramid is what's called metacognition, which is thinking about thinking. And you know, the truth is that most people don't think about how they think very often, if at all. They just think and they believe their thoughts and those thoughts become beliefs. And also the idea of thinking about the origin of the way that my mind works, like why do I think and distill information? And see the world the way that I do. What is the lens or what is the window through which I view and understand and process the world? What are the things that create my windows? So like blease, values, ideas, experiences, bias, faith, prejudice, like all of those things which we all have to some extent, that kind of forms the window through which I view the world. So if I'm a you know, I'm a Vegan, I'm going to look at the world a certain way. If I'm a Catholic, so too, if I'm a black belt in jiu jitsu and some guys coming up to me, I might view that quite differently to if I'd never done any kind of self defense. And so, you know, I'm an only child who grew up in a Catholic family. I was a morbidly obese child, I went to only Catholic schools. I grew up in rural Victorious. So all of these things are variables that shape or inform my thinking. So that one of the biggest challenges for us in this journey towards what we might call greater self awareness or even consciousness, is to become aware of our lack of awareness. It's like I become more conscious when I read recognize my lack of consciousness, and by that I mean the autopilotness of our existence.
Speaker 2: Which is the way we live now. We just wake up and we grab the weapon of mass distraction and we scroll and we go to meeting after meeting. It is groundhog Day. It's such a good metaphor Pensacola fild. You just wake up and before you realize you wake up. I've heard you say five years later. It's not five for a lot of people, it's ten, twenty thirty. Jesus. I've got to the end of my career and my kids are now having kids. I'm not really connected with them because I've just been on this conveyor belt for years and years. And then it often takes a crisis, a relationship breakdown, losing a job, a big life event, and that can sometimes shift. But people don't have enough pain, so they're comfortably uncomfortable. It's like the just the tapping of a wall. You tap, tap, tap, tap. The wall doesn't crumble thirty years later, it's one tap and the whole jipprop comes tumbling down. That self awareness and just flying through life on autopilot.
Speaker 1: So let's summarize that into four or five words. Don't wait for the catastrophe. I mean, this is what we do. We wait till shit breaks and then we go, oh I should get in shape. Oh I should be nicer to my wife. Oh I should or whatever it is. And so yeah, that's about being proactive, you know, not reactive, and leaning into that a little bit. So that's understanding that, you know, we've all been programmed and conditioned and recognizing where my programming, my cognitive, behavioral, emotional psychological programming ends and where me, Craig Harper, the clean slate, where do I start? Who am I beyond that? Like, beyond my programming conditioning beliefs and very kind of set ideas and ideals and ideology, like who am I beyond that? For me, that's a really curious kind of exploration.
Speaker 2: And thoughts are not facts. That's something I find people really connect with. And you go, hey, you think the way you think, let's talk about thinking about the way you think. And you get some really weird looks metacognition, what's that shit? I just think, Champ, thoughts are not facts. And on your mobile phone, I've asked Wizard this and he's on Android, so he said Android had just better. So there's no answer to this story. But if you're an iPhone, you regularly have to do an iOS upgrade. And the people harps going through decades on autopilot, they just wake up their gray They're a monochrome version of gray, gray clothes, gray car, gray skin, gray hair, if they've got any gray life, because there's no thinking about how can I challenge this or what can I upgrade? So I love that whole notion of the regular iOS upgrade. And you've heard me bang on about this. Do you want your body to be stronger, fitter, fast, and more flexible, You've got to do reps and sets. It's exactly the same with your thinking. Get out of that laziness or that comfort zone.
Speaker 1: I think it's really difficult at times to be objective about the thing you're in the middle of, if not impossible, to be objective about the thing that you're in the middle of. And what we're all in the middle of is our own life, right, and that is why it is easy to close your eyes and open them again. And it's a year later and you're essentially you've blinked and That's why it's very easy to keep doing things that don't really work because they're habitual, they're programmed. And so this is not an easy idea. This is an idea though it's not an easy do. But it's an easy idea. It's just a construct. But the idea is to find a way to be able to do an inventory or a stock take on your own existence. And so the question that I ask people, individuals and audiences all the time is what's not working? Like, what's the thing that you're doing that doesn't work. What's the thing that you're doing with your body that doesn't work. What's the thing that you're doing with your kids you're parenting your relationships that doesn't work. What's the thing that you do with money that's fun looking stupid, but you still keep doing it? Like on Planet you, you are always getting data, You're always getting information. Now, the challenge in the middle of the mayhem and the chaos that is the continuity and the never endingness of our existence, the challenge is to be able to hit the metaphoric pause button and say, okay, if I continue on my current trajectory of habits and thinking, beliefs and behaviors and outcomes. If I continue on this trajectory, will my life be better or worse than a year, two or five? The answer for many of us is worse. Okay, that's not self loathing, that's awareness. Now what to do with the awareness? Okay, easier said than done. But how do I shift this? How do I get out of this groove, this pattern, this behavior that is more self sabotaged than self serve? How do I do that? And so, you know, we think about building a business, our best business or best brand, or our best bank balance. You know, even we think about how would we build a house if we're starting from scratch. You know, you would spend a year designing and developing and finding the land and colors and fittings and blah blah blah. But when it comes to building our best.
Speaker 2: It's just just on that. You're so right, graphic simulation. So you've got all these different designs. What do you think we'll go to a different show. We'll go to the trade warehouses. People spend hours, days, weeks, months planning rebuild of the house which they might be in for ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And then you say, well, what's more important your life or your house, and people go, what a stupid question? Well, of course my life, what house set up question? You spent a year designing your house, but you won't spend a week designing your optimal life, you know. And again not trying to be critical, but just you know, here's the thing. None of us are going to accidentally end up succeeding. It's so easy to live an unconscious groundhog day existence. And it takes courage, and it takes effort and energy and probably a bit of discipline, self control and discomfort, which are not very sexy things in twenty twenty four. But you know, it's just that's just what's required, you know. And I always say I can tell you what you want to hear all the truth to an audience.
Speaker 2: And I go, what do you want? They're like, oh, I guess the truth. That's going to hurt all right. So metacognition is the base.
Speaker 1: They metacognition yep. Theory of mind is essentially our ability to understand or try to understand or be curious about how other people think.
Speaker 2: Which you're not going to get my assumption, unless you understand yourself first, then you can understand others so hence the framework.
Speaker 1: And also being able to in real time realize that Andrew and I are in the same conversation but not the same experience. And then with that in mind, what is Andrew's experience right now? What is Andrew's version of me? What is Andrew's version of our story about this conversation, this moment in time? What is his story about this interaction? And these are questions that we ask not because we necessarily have to agree with the other person or endorse the other person, or let's be honest, even like the other person, because in some situations we're going to work with people we don't really want to. That doesn't make us terrible, it makes us human. But the point is not to align or connect or endorse or agree, but rather to understand, you know, seek first to understand and then to be understood. So me trying to understand. And I've worked with many people that are so not like me, not better or worse, just different. But everything from you know, the military and Victoria police, to blokes in prison, to addicts, to alcoholics, to the general public to people with all kinds of abilities and disabilities. And in the middle of that, I'm just trying to understand them so I can work with them or help them or support them. So that's theory of mind.
Speaker 2: I'm going deep at the moment on mindfulness. And I used to think mindfulness was a crock of shit. I think because I'd watched the wrong videos where you have this yahwei profit in the modern age, walking in romes and just just talking absolute bullshit, making it sound like this all encompassing just every part of your life. But when you look at the definition of mindfulness, you go back to the Japanese samurais two and a half thousand years ago. Similar time, Yogis were starting to come up with similar principles. It's about being present in the moment without judgment. So if you're on your mobile phone scrolling all the time, if you're on autopilot through the decades, there is no mindfulness. It's the opposite. It's mindlessness, and it's often driven by distraction. So I'm really curious, have you looked at that thread of mindfulness, because as you're saying a lot of that about both my self awareness of that metacognition and then other people just being able to drop into that mindful state, being present in the moment without judgment. Where does the mindfulness research sit in with this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So for me, mindfulness is it's sometimes almost better called mindlessness so or mind emptiness, like because in a way you're trying to get out of your mind. You're trying to get out of thought in a way, you know, and to be the kind of the mind fuck no pun intended, but is because we're trying to understand the mind using the mind as the tool that we're trying to understand itself with. Right, It's like I'm analyzing the mind with my mind. Oh great, how's that going? But yes, I trying to turn down the chaos, trying to be the calm in the chaos. That Eastern philosophical construct of equanimity is being able to be in the busyness and the mayhem, but without being chaotic or without being busy myself, you know. And for me that's been a real journey too, because my mind is busy, busy mind. Not so much an overthinking mind because that tends to be more.
Speaker 2: Feared, but busy creative mind.
Speaker 1: Busy creative, busy, you know, solving problems, coming up with ideas, and you know, yesterday on the way back from Sydney to Melbourne. I just had my notes open in my phone, so just basically writing stuff electronically, and I literally came up with about five potential ideas, new ideas for new things that I definitely don't have time to do, but I just put them with this collection of ideas and thoughts that I have that I might, you know, open the door on one day.
Speaker 2: Well that's a technique in itself. And my iPhone's got multiple notes and layers and folders, and the science behind this is if you don't distill what's in your mind and put it on the paper or put it onto your digital format, it just circles around, so you're distracted. And it's been like Homer Simpson with the monkey and the symbol doing the backflip. So metacognition got it. Theory of mine having more of an awareness of others. Then we go up the next layer.
Speaker 1: So up the next one, which is what we've already covered to some extent, meta perception is what's it like being around me? And again this is really this comes from a space of or a place of wanting to be able to create better interactions with others, to be a better leader communicator, teacher, you know, employer, employee, athlete, So that whoever it is that I'm interacting with, that I'm working alongside, that I can understand or have some insight into what it's like being around me, just so that we have better communication, we have better apport, we have better connection. We can in work situations, you know, figure things out, solve problems, resolve conflict, agree to disagree.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I've got lots of friends who don't have a lot of the same beliefs that I have around certain things, But my friendship with them and my love for them is not conditional upon them thinking like me. If that were the case, I'd be living in an echo chamber or confirmation bias we call it, and I'd only pay attention to people who sound like me, believe like me, and think like me, which would make me one an ego maniac and two pretty lonely or essentially a cult member.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think we have a lot of cult members on this We might have one or two. So majority of this audience aren't in cults and have not been a cult member. Well, there are lots of cults of thought, though you can identify cultka. You can identify a cult of thought online very easy. And like the irony is or I guess, and this is true for me too. So I'm not saying, hey, I've figured this out, nobody else has. I have to be really prepared to hold onto my beliefs loosely, because you think about beliefs and ideas that they are intertwined with who we are. Then now my identity is tied in into being right about that thing.
Speaker 1: Now, when I truly believe that when it comes to this issue or this question or this topic, the thing that I think is right, therefore everyone else in the world who disagrees with me on this is wrong. That's kind of a dangerous position to have. And so like I grew up, as we've spoken many times, in a very religious household, and subsequent to that went and did a whole lot of other stuff in a different version of the same religion. So I spent a lot of my life reading the Bible, being philosophically theological, you know. And so I have a very specific background and training and programming and over the years, relationships and all of this stuff that I was fully immersed in, and now all of these years later, what I have to what I have to say anyway, based on how I now see the world and see myself in the world. That truth is I don't know, like and people don't like saying I don't know. But is there a God? I don't know? Is there is there a you know, eternity as we understand it in the Christian sense? I don't know. Is the Bible, you know, really the inspired word of God? I don't know. But I can think things and believe things. But also I have to be courageous and say this is what I think, This is even what I believe. But could I be wrong? Yes, I could be Could I be wrong? Yeap?
Speaker 2: What did they let you into the monastery saying fucking your sermon?
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing?
Speaker 2: Did you swear back then? Because you dropped the F bomb a lot? And I even noticed on the podcast I did with you, yes, like my my fuck ratio went up. Yeah, of course, Now you need to listen to the background to that. If Wizard of You just do a bite size my fuck ratio went up, that that might go off on the internet. But because like it's just you's being authentic, So I can't imagine you were swearing at that age.
Speaker 1: No, so I so this is nobody needs to know this, but Catholic Church. And I always, I don't know if I ever told you this, but I always I had all of these people coming into my life constantly telling me that. And this is not even from within my circle. But God's got his hand on your life, whatever that means. God's got a purpose for you all these things. Anyway, through a range of really kind of weird and wacky from the outside looking in weird and whacky events, I ended up going to what was essentially a fundamental Christian church. And you know, I was, for one of a better term, balls deep. And I went to that church for about four years, and I was nineteen to twenty three, maybe five years, four or five years. And honestly, most of it was good in that I learned about, you know, like humility and purpose and a whole lot of things that I needed to learn. And you know, I definitely didn't master anything, but I I was a pretty good student because I was genuinely curious about all of that. But one of the byproducts of that is so for five years I didn't have sex, I didn't swear I didn't. I lived a very monastic, disciplined life.
Speaker 2: And that's your late teens, early twenties. That's where people literally come alive. Hormones are pulsing through your body and with other people you're around. That's really that passage to adulthood. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I was engaged to a woman I never slept with. I had a girlfriend who became my fiance within the church, and I was with her. We didn't get married. Obviously, I pulled the pin on that, which was, you know, the right thing to do, but also for her the right thing to do. She dodged a bullet. Fuck imagine marrying me, but that would have been a nightmare for her. So that worked out well. She married somebody and is living happily ever after, which is nice. But but for me, that was just that was what was required.
Speaker 2: I had no idea about that part of your life. Did you do you talk about that normally? That part?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very committed. Yeah, yeah whenever. It's just not that relevant that often. But my point is that, like I grew up in a very a very specific model of thinking and believing and faith and behavior, right, and you are programmed, you are programmed you are, you know, I chose it all. But at the same time, you can't question much because if you you know, like, if you question too much, you're out of the group.
Speaker 2: Like it is very mid a line in doctrination.
Speaker 1: Well, it was quite The church I was in was quite culty, right, and so it is very much an echo chamber of thinking and believing. The truth is in cults, be they food cults, religious cults, political cults, sporting cults, cults of ideology, any ideology, you are not encouraged to questioned the doctrine. You are discouraged. And not only are you discouraged from thinking critically, you are criticized and you are cast out into the metaphoric darkness. And so this is the problem that I have with any of these ideological cults of thought, is.
Speaker 2: That one of the reasons if I pull on that thread, one of the reasons why you were so passionate about human behavior and connection and people having a voice and diversity because you had that block of life that wasn't Is that something you've reflected on and look back, is that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that is true. And there were questions that kept coming up for me in that time which I was told, Well, I'll tell you what I was told. I was told, that's the devil, that's Satan, trying to undermine God in your life and all of these things. And I'm like, oh, well, that kind of But the thing is also what people who are and I'm not saying that there was any sinister or a gender. I'd think all of the people they actually believed it and meant well, right. But you know, there are certain people who can say pretty much anything and back it up biblically. And this might sound weird to some of your listeners, but in certain environments you can make pretty much anything sound reasonable with the right scripture if you're talking to a vulnerable person, you know. And so for me, I wanted to go deeper than just thought. I wanted to open a spiritual door. I wanted to see what was there, what was beyond the cognitive curtain. And the thing is that, you know, this is maybe another day, but you think about when we open that door, and we kind of think about what is and this is getting out of the psychology in the cognition space, of course, but even there is there such a thing as a spiritual world, what does that even mean, and there's so many things that we will experience in a lifetime that don't make sense in inverted commas in psychology, and so we go, well, that's bullshit, that's not real. Maybe maybe it's not real. Maybe it is real, Maybe we just can't understand it with our understanding, with our frame of reference, with our version of what is real and what is not.
Speaker 2: This is what I love about a podcast, and you've taught me this too. I don't rock up. I would get anxiety rocking up with no script. But I've gone from having question one answer question two, which is a bit like a tennis game. I've got a running sheet here, and as I said at the start, three sort of loose areas. Number one, why are you so passionate about this topic? Number two, let's dig into the science, and we've done that metacognition at the base theory of mind, metaperception and meta accuracy, and I've got a question on metaccuracy to wrap up. And then three I wanted to talk to you about transitions, but I had no idea. We talk about that, and I understand a lot more about you and what has driven you to do this, So thank you for sharing all that.
Speaker 1: I spent a long time studying and reading them. You would not believe how many scriptures I could recite, which nobody needs to hear. But yeah, like I studied it like somebody would study at PhD for years. Every day, pray every day, quiet time every day, read every day, study every day every day.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of there's a lot of good in prayer and with the Pacific boys. I told you this woman caught up last time. So NRL now is fifty four nearly fifty five Pacific or indigenous, much larger Pacific population. And when I was putting together a framework at the start of the year, so we talk about being in that peak performance zone inverted you if you're feeling a bit tired or fatigued, you add some fire. If you're feeling a little bit too revved up, you add some eyes. So I put this nice model together. As you know, working with sporting teams, mate, you've got to have a science base or an evidence base, but keep as simple so the boys and the girls understand that. So we're doing all this work around fire and ice, it was really landing. What do you do to up regulate? What do you do to down regulate and then one of the players come up and said, where's prayer. I'm like, ah, how remiss of me. So we've added prayer because prayer can be meditative and it can be calming effect or prayer can be tapping into purpose or a higher power to add a bit of heartbeat and add a bit of fire as well. So just surrounding that out for a lot of people who do listen. Obviously we're talking about extreme, but a lot of people will do prayer. And I say this to a lot of my Pacific boys, they go, I find it hard to meditate or do mindfulness. Do you go to church every Sunday? Yeah, just drop into being present in the moment and connect with your heart rate and just think about other stuff and just be in the moment without judgment. Now, transitions, Do you consciously transition from one thing to the next, Because when I look at your job description, it's pretty similar to mine, and you'll go from a podcast to a meeting about a future project or a book, and then you go to lots of workshops and you've got your hands and lots of different things. Do you have a process where you transition in and transition out because when I look at that model, that whole metaaccuracy, I can't help but think there's something you do either naturally or it's just started the process way way way back to transition and to actually think how do I transition into this group and how do I show up authentically but for what they need.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't have any set transition kind of process, but I be aware. I think about who I'm going to be with and why I'm going to be there, and what I want to do be create in the time that I'm with that person or those people in that situation, like what's my reason for being there? Why do they want me there? You know, as long as I show up knowing why I'm there and what are they Like yesterday I did. I told you I did a real estate industry conference in Manly, and I had basically quite a brief brief so to speak, the organizers, and you know, I could go wherever I wanted as long as I was talking around that subject and I know, and then I had a different brief for the gig that I did in the afternoon. But as long as I stay in that in that domain, then I'm okay. But I don't. I don't have any big kind of preparation process or you know. And I I think, because I've been doing it for so long and talking for so long, I try not to open doors that I'm not really knowledgeable about or qualified in, because it's just if I don't know a fair bit about it or understand it, then I shouldn't be talking about it. But yeah, I do. I find it quite easy to transition from podcasts to speaking gig, to coaching session to you know whatever, because it's for me, it's all just talking.
Speaker 2: Is that? Though I love that model you said before about the public you, the personal you, the private you, the secret you, and potential you, I can't but think if someone is very public when they transition from one thing to the next, it is a persona. And I openly say that I have a persona when I'm on a big stage. Got to bring a bit of the jazz hands. But I think what you're helping me understand to I love that you to call this episode something like Jazz Hands and metap perception or something Jesus Jazz Hands and five years with no jeers, Jesus Jazz hands and a less existence, where I just cracking myself up of my own jokes. I'm doing harp jokes on my podcast.
Speaker 1: You know the other thing about five years with no Jeers, there really was five years with no jeers because the other way that that Jez happens, that wasn't endorsed either.
Speaker 2: So I think that's a whole different podcast in.
Speaker 1: It something nobody needs to think about.
Speaker 2: It waited to almost the sixty minute mark, and people are just like, similarly, I just choked on the haven't they. Let's go back to what I was talking about.
Speaker 1: Why have you gone red? That's going on? Do you look so uncomfortable because do you need a glass of water or something?
Speaker 2: You're right, I don't know whether we've sort of gone with the secret or private. We're sort of dancing between the two halfs. Love the authenticity, mate, but that public face.
Speaker 1: Love the authenticity.
Speaker 2: But stopte it's we're talking about self awareness and metacognition. But and you're showing a really good example. It actually is a good example that you you said that before and likes it. Open the window. You go, all right, big fellow, bang here it is no whacking off for five years. Take that in your face. You're welcome world. But I just see there's there's almost no delineation between that for you. So you're showing us even in this conversation. And so from an energy shift, you don't need to shift energy because you're doing what's authentic. You're doing what fuels you, so you can be personal private in public. So there isn't a real need to ramp up. So I'm just trying to catch up with that because I still teach. It's really important for corporates, especially before they go into a meeting, to transition because some matter up more performance moments, and I'll always go through a framework three questions, and it's very much sport and military influenced. Number one, who's in the room to what's the context? Number three what does success look like? And if you can ask those three questions before every meeting, podcast performance moment, you do pretty well what we miss. So a lot of people come out of that straight into the next thing. It's a little bit of a look back in the review mirror. Three more questions, what worked, what didn't? What can we improve next time? So sort of rolling between these performance moments. Yes, yes, look, yeah, I mean definitely I prepare in the sense that I'm well aware who I'm talking with and talking for and the outcomes that I want to create. But yeah, I try to bring that very comfortable energy too, you know, there's not so much rah rah, you know, and that works for me. But I think what's really important to say here too, is that so for anyone who is thinking about whether or not it's doing a pub having your own podcast, or becoming a presenter or a professional speaker or a coach, or the way that Andrew does it in the way that I do it, that's just the way that we do it. That's not the best way, that's what works for us. And I think that just like you know, we don't say what's the best diet, We say what's the best diet for you? Based on you know, your body, your your training, your you know, your age, or your genetic dispisition all of that, you know, So it's.
Speaker 1: Trying to find in the middle of all of this. You know, I've worked with other speakers who are so different to me but amazing, But I couldn't do what they do because I would be faking.
Speaker 2: It and they couldn't do what you do. E That's a flip side because you're you're in your lane.
Speaker 1: And so it's not like, oh, the Craig harp Away is the way. No, No, that's the way for me. It's like I also like, I do lots of things I do that work for me that I would not recommend for others because nobody is me but me. If I share kind of a revelation about how I do something and somebody wants to give that a go, that's fine, but there's no guarantee. You know. It's like I decided when I was twenty one or two, I didn't want to have a job per se. I wanted to work for me. I didn't want a bus. I didn't want to go to work. I didn't want to sit in a cubicle. I didn't want to wear a suit. I figured out all of these things I didn't want to do, and I'm like, what's the antidote to that. Well, the antidote is that I figure out how I can build something that's a synergy of making dough and having fun and learning and evolving and working with humans. And that's kind of what I did. But I've spent thirty four years not having holiday pay, not having sick pay, not having any guarantees, not knowing what I would make next month, you know, a whole lot of vulnerability and exposure that most people would not like at all, But I thrive in that. That's my jam. I love that shit. But again I wouldn't recommend it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just like I eate two meals a day because that works for me, but it's not something I would recommend to people. So I think, you know, even with these podcasts, you know, lean in and listen and see what resonates, and then maybe if something resonates, you know, take that for a test drive and see what the outcome is, you know, because it's different things work for different people.
Speaker 2: Just go back to one open loop. There's many. I'll close one and then we'll start to bring this baby behind. On the speaking I've seen and I know you've seen as well. There's certain speakers. So you see them and they're on stage and it's a wonderful show. It really is persona and you watch it and go, oh, wonderful choreography, look up and the music starts or fade left, fade right and tell the story. You know where I'm going with this. We're probably thinking of some similar speakers. You see and you go, oh, that was awesome, and then you see them the second time and go where's you. Yeah, So for people listening to this, I think you're the extreme with respect on just free range. But you've done loads of fucking work, made decades and decades, so you can rock up and you are that you projected you, and it's that beautiful blend public personal private, a little bit of secret every now and then, but it's the narrative you're happy with. We see some other people are so choreographed, probably so uncomfortable with the real them that they put on this persona and mask, and that's draining. It really is draining. So I think for people listening to this, just think, where are you on that spectrum when you show up? Are you putting on the mask? Are you the phantom of the opera every single time? Or you're just rocking up as you probably for most people this summer in the middle. And I think one of the lessons for me in this this discussion with you, mate, is about well, where am I happy being? And you've said this on your podcast when you've interviewed me. I'll do a bit more prep and I'm a bit more jazz handy on that stuff as well. But I found the lame way that suits me. And it's taken a while. And I love the feedback you gave me before, and I felt it the last podcast we did, I felt we really connected. We did one a couple of years ago. I think I was more jazz hands sort of speaking at as well. As you get more comfortable in yourself, I think it's just it's energy fueling rather than energy draining. So that's a real takeout from this conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but and I'm not pissing in your pocket. But you're You're great. And what is interesting is that you know, I don't know how old you are.
Speaker 2: How old are you fifty or fifty one?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is interesting because you are getting better, not like, oh, you're just hanging in there. And I'm not saying this to pump you up in front of your audience, but the you that i've over the decades, you're better. Your skills are better, You're understanding your awareness, your self awareness, the way that you communicate, the way that you frame things and structure things and tell stories. You know, it's like you're better. And what's great is that at fifty one, you're still growing and learning. At sixty, I'm still growing and learning like this is not normal, but fuck normal, fuck typical, like you know, and it's not about that We've got to be you know this in this endless pursuit of excellence. But you know, I know that if I can keep learning, evolving, growing while enjoying the journey and being me and still having a degree of contentment and calm, but also side by side, were still a little ambition, then why not you.
Speaker 2: Know two things about one? Thank you? I still want to acknowledge that it means a lot coming from you. And I was going to make a flippant joke, and that's a Dubo boy me coming out going. He's giving me feedback. I've got to be a bit of a and not take it. But I'm going to sit in it and say thank you for someone I've looked up to for years and someone who's had a big influence on my life. You. I really appreciate that. And secondly, why not at fifty one or sixty one or seventy one, or if someone's listening to this and you're twenty one, why not be in a stage of constant growth, and if we're going to get to one hundred, which I want to, I'm halfway there. And I just think on the mental skills side of my business, working with sporting teams and literally having the opportunity to work with great men and great women around the world. Now harps, I'm fucking loving it. But I'm just scratching the surface, mate, And I really can see in five years and that and even ten years, I'm going to have so much better experience and better skills and better service in that area. That shit keeps me awake at night.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is just backtracking about three minutes. You said cheers, no, no, no, you said something about the Phantom of the opera, the Phantom of the So the guy who is the Phantom, who played the Phantom on West End in London and in Australia, his name's Josh Pittman, and I coach him, I work with him. Yeah, he's awesome. And he has a podcast called Behind the Mask as well, which is just kicking off and it's it's really it's funny hearing you say that, and we talk about this mask and we've spoken, he and I are spoken. You should get him on old chats him and see if you're interested.
Speaker 2: He'd love to.
Speaker 1: He's great mate. He's a high performer. He's a freak, but he's just a deep thinking, creative clever like deep you and him will go great. I said to him the other day we're having a coffee and talking about I'm coaching him a bit in doing some keynote speaking, right, I said, you know, and I said, look, sometimes you're going to be in a boardroom with ten people, and sometimes you're going to be you know, wherever, in front of a thousand people. And you know, I said, what's the most you've ever sung in front of? And he goes ninety two and a half thousand, and I go, all right, well you've got me covered. Jeez, Like live at nine.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it'd be a big sporting event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, live singing in front of ninety two and a half thousand peral.
Speaker 2: Bet him singing in front of ninety two and a half it's performer, yeah, and persona and then he steps back into the person I bet it's scarce a shit out of him thinking of standing in a boardroom having an authentic, open, real conversation to ten people without the metaphorical mask, so I can see exactly the utility you have for Joel.
Speaker 1: Well and also just on that same thing, similar thing like I love comedy, right, I love I love There ain't that much great comedy around at the moment, but I love making people laugh. I don't think I'm hilarious by any means, but but I've always I've had this secret thing to get up and just do five minutes of an open mic. I am more terrified of doing five minutes of stand up comedy in front of twelve disintransted strangers than I am of doing pretty much anything else.
Speaker 2: All right, well, so you have a dart.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: No, no, listen, listen. I registered and people regular listeners have heard this. Before I went to KPMG, I wanted to scare myself because I've been in my comfort zone. And I enrolled in a four week comedy course and the final week was at Star City and you invited family members, friends, and you did a five minute open mind. I went to the first night and they got us up on stage and I didn't read the brief. Typical me, you'd understand this, and I just rocked up, thinking they'll get to talk to us. And then they said, all right, now we're going to get everyone up and just do one or two minutes, and we're going to look at the progress and we're going to film you. And I went first. He said, all right, do you? It was I feel uncomfortable listening fu awful. I wanted to some sort of keynote presentation, which is funny with context, like I wouldn't say that I'm hilarious, but I think I'm situational funny or slapstick funny, so I know how to make a crowd laugh. I did that, and you could hear crickets cricket. So guess what I did?
Speaker 1: What did you do?
Speaker 2: I didn't go back? I used. I used the excuse that I just started at KPMG. So when you say that, I will at some stage get the balls and go back because I don't want to be a comedian. But I talk regularly, as you do, to people about getting out of that comfort zone. So I've got to go back and do that. So I'd love you to do it. I think it would seem like scare the shit out of here, but there'd be a big learning in it.
Speaker 1: Well, see, when you've got a warm audience, right, you're there and you're doing something, and a group is there to hear you, right, and you're not there to be funny. Well, then you can be incidentally funny and they laugh. But people are not there for that purpose. But when you're a comedian, well make us laugh, dumbass.
Speaker 2: It's like it's such a skill. I've seen Lawrence Mooney probably more than any other comedian and just so clever and deprecating and takes the piss and you can see the theory. There's a formula there. It scares the shit out of me getting up on stage and doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I won't be doing it anytime soon. You can just tell us how you go.
Speaker 2: Thank you for today.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate, it's been great.
Speaker 2: I love it. For people who want to get more of Harp's the best way to find you listen to you. Where should they go?
Speaker 1: So maybe just the You Project, which is my podcast, or I'm actually going to launch some public events in the next week or so. You can find those on my website which is just Craig Harper dot net. And I'm quite prolific on Instagram, which is just Craig, Anthony Harper or.
Speaker 2: One word good work on the public ones. Are you doing that yourself or you're doing it with the events.
Speaker 1: Doing that Melissa, who runs my life and who's much smarter than me, she's putting all those up. So we are running them. The U Project is my company, so we're running them, and I'm doing I'm doing a big Melbourne workshop Brisbane, Melbourne and one in Rural Victor, Rural esh Bend, you go. I don't know, but I'm doing a kind of a half day workshop called Understanding You. I really like it. It's new content. I'm really excited about it. And then I do these other things where I go into state this is a bit cheeky. I shouldn't. I shouldn't pull back the curtain. But I'll tell you so when I've got Sometimes when i've got a corporate gig, say on a Friday, I'll go up the Thursday and I'll do what I call a private workshop for say thirty people where I'm staying, so I'll book a boardroom and the night before my corporate gig, I'll just I'll do a thirty person private workshop. Twenty to thirty people. So it's small, it's intimate and I spend about three and a half hours with people and it's you know, there's a bit of presenting, but it's more organic where people can just ask me stuff and we can go wherever we go. So I've been doing those a fair bit as well, and they're fun. I like those because it's just, you know, it's very intimate and I'm used to being on a stage, but it's not that.
Speaker 2: It's probably given you a whole lot of different material as well, the reps and sets to now do the half day, so there's been method in that process.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so all that more.
Speaker 2: Love your work mate, Love you and thank you for making me blush.
Speaker 1: I love you too, be boy, it's great seeing you that shade of Crimson. It was worth it just for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much,